PDA

View Full Version : Next Old Firm Game On Hogmanay

offshorehibby
15-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Surely they're having a laugh.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37368510

Man Down Under
15-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Should have taken a leaf out of Edinburghs book and done it just after Hogmany when everyone is too tender to cause trouble.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

jacomo
15-09-2016, 07:09 AM
Oh lord.

Anyone fancy New Years Eve in Glasgow then?

Blaster
15-09-2016, 07:11 AM
Hopefully with the other TV games over the xmas period being announced shortly we'll get confirmation if our games will remain on the Saturdays or move to Boxing Day etc

Not that I expect ours to be on TV but probably can't confirm until TV companies pick their games

Itsnoteasy
15-09-2016, 07:26 AM
It doesn't matter which day they play it. The bigotry is still the same & they'll still beat up their partners If they get beat.

Danderhall Hibs
15-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Hopefully with the other TV games over the xmas period being announced shortly we'll get confirmation if our games will remain on the Saturdays or move to Boxing Day etc

Not that I expect ours to be on TV but probably can't confirm until TV companies pick their games

I'd prefer our game on Christmas Eve to be shifted to Boxing Day.

MurrayfieldHibs
15-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Do you not mean "Next Glasgow Derby On Hogmanay"? :wink:

Smartie
15-09-2016, 07:51 AM
A bunch of weegie numpties starting drinking at 8am on Hogmanay with a Rangers v Celtic game thrown in halfway through. What could possibly go wrong?

Rangers will probably be playing in front of 5000 or so every week by then so it might not be that bad.

Blaster
15-09-2016, 08:08 AM

Me too

offshorehibby
15-09-2016, 08:16 AM
I always liked a boxing day game, a good excuse to get out the house a few beers with the mates and enjoy a game.

Pretty Boy
15-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Sums the SPFL and Police Scotland up.

A day and night when Police and hospital resources are already stretched and they arrange a sectarian battle dressed up as a football match.

Going out in Glasgow that night will be fun.

FifeHibs
15-09-2016, 10:27 AM
On Christmas Eve if our game goes ahead presume it will be early kick off due to transport restrictions. Rather Boxing,

snooky
15-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Sums the SPFL and Police Scotland up.

A day and night when Police and hospital resources are already stretched and they arrange a sectarian battle dressed up as a football match.

Going out in Glasgow that night will be fun.

They're really going for Armageddon this time.
Unbelievably stupid.

hfcnic
15-09-2016, 10:33 AM

I would prefer it to stay on Christmas Eve but I see why people don't like this. People with young kids especially will be pretty busy already on this day. For me thought its a great excuse to go out and get a drink on Christmas Eve with a bit football added in.

Steve-O
15-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Can't see the issue really. No worse than any other date IMO considering its a lunchtime kick off. Idiots will cause trouble any day of the year.

Lancs Harp
15-09-2016, 11:16 AM
From a purely selfish point of view I hope our game gets shifted to Boxing day. Love to take in a game on Boxing day and there is no way Im travelling up and down from Blackpool on Christmas Eve, its travel nightmare.

Wheat Hound
15-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Falkirk fans on the pie and bovril forums have suggested our Hogmanay game v then is likely to move to 2 Jan. Not sure why or how they would know

Stevie Reid
15-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Utterly astonishing decision.

Onion
15-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Expect that decision to get thrown out once the politicians hear about it. Crazy.

RyeSloan
15-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Sums that game up that it can only be held on certain dates without the prospect of Armageddon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian cruise
15-09-2016, 11:35 AM
It doesn't matter which day they play it. The bigotry is still the same & they'll still beat up their partners If they get beat.

Glasgow is bad enough on hogmanay, this is just going g to be unbearable. I might board up my doors and windows until I get word it's safe.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Absolute madness, but what do I care, just let them get on with it, not interested in the least.

Dunbar Hibee
15-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Shocked that the police have agreed to this?!

Onion
15-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Can't see the issue really. No worse than any other date IMO considering its a lunchtime kick off. Idiots will cause trouble any day of the year.

Think it's the tendency for folk to drink a little more than usual on Hogmany night that's the concern. Police Scotland are going to have a busy night :cb

Betty Boop
15-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Glasgow is bad enough on hogmanay, this is just going g to be unbearable. I might board up my doors and windows until I get word it's safe.

Your location says Hamilton ? :confused:

Kojock
15-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Hibs played Ayr Utd on Christmas Eve late 70's One of the smallest crowds on record.

Not In The Know
15-09-2016, 12:04 PM
and we are not allowed a home match on a friday night...

monarch
15-09-2016, 12:10 PM
This was debated as part of the Radio Scotland phone in earlier this morning. Almost all the contributors stated that it was a stupid idea to play the game on Hogmanay although a reporter from the Glasgow Evening Times/ Herald (Stewart Weir) thought it was a good idea.

As a side issue the host, Kay Adams asked if he supported one of the "old firm." He hesitated and after further prompting eventually said he came from Hamilton so Accies was his team (aye right!) whereupon Kay Adams asked why it was that Rangers/Celtic supporters in the media were so hesitant in admitting their preference. Kay then revealed that the producer started yelling in her earphone telling her to "shut up and move on."

Another example of BBC Scotland's fearsome investigative journalism (not!).

Iggy Pope
15-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Hibs played Ayr Utd on Christmas Eve late 70's One of the smallest crowds on record.

We did. And it was an evening kick off.
Among the first games (not the first though) that my dear old boy took me too was on Christmas Day at Easter Road v the Huns, Xmas 71 I think. Fearful amount of drink consumed in the family household that night as I recall.

ian cruise
15-09-2016, 12:11 PM

I'm East Kilbride, which is outskirts of Glasgow. I used to be Hamilton, guess I forgot to update. It's full of fans of both teams. Plus I'd normally go in to Glasgow for New Year, not this year.

Bristolhibby
15-09-2016, 12:13 PM
This whole Holiday fixtures this season across the league has been a debacle.

Yes we get the Saturdays are Christmas Eve and Hogmany, but the sensible decision should have been to move all games to the 26th and the 2nd, like we do most seasons when Christmas and New Years Day isn't on a Sunday.

I'm goosed, always enjoy coming up for the Boxing Day game, one of the few times I get to see the bulk of my family together is at the Bicing Day game and beers. No way I'll be up for a Christmas Eve game.

J

--------
15-09-2016, 03:08 PM

I'm East Kilbride, which is outskirts of Glasgow. I used to be Hamilton, guess I forgot to update. It's full of fans of both teams. Plus I'd normally go in to Glasgow for New Year, not this year.

Too close for comfort, whatever.

I'm in Motherwell, about 6 miles east of EK (I think - geography not a strong point) and if this game goes off on Hogmanay I'll be keeping my head down.

New Year's Day's a Sunday, I see. Woo-hoo! Navigating my way to work past the drunks and dead bodies. Great.

snooky
15-09-2016, 04:03 PM
On the bright side, this fixture could well make our Cup Final transgressions look like meditation hour in a buddhist temple.

Bishop Hibee
15-09-2016, 04:06 PM
This whole Holiday fixtures this season across the league has been a debacle.

Yes we get the Saturdays are Christmas Eve and Hogmany, but the sensible decision should have been to move all games to the 26th and the 2nd, like we do most seasons when Christmas and New Years Day isn't on a Sunday.

I'm goosed, always enjoy coming up for the Boxing Day game, one of the few times I get to see the bulk of my family together is at the Bicing Day game and beers. No way I'll be up for a Christmas Eve game.

J

Completely agree. Utter madness from the SPFL but I'm really not that surprised.

Sir David Gray
15-09-2016, 07:18 PM
I'm shocked that the police have agreed to this.

Sheer lunacy.

GreenCastle
15-09-2016, 08:07 PM
In a way this could be a positive as again it would show up either set of fans for poor behaviour.

I bet both clubs are nervous about what may happen especially after the 5-1 fall out.

Eyrie
15-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Oh lord.

Anyone fancy New Years Eve in Glasgow then?

Several firms of Russian football thugs have just cancelled their travel plans on safety grounds.

Scott Allan Key
15-09-2016, 09:35 PM
On the bright side, this fixture could well make our Cup Final transgressions look like meditation hour in a buddhist temple.

Burmese Buddhism is all the rage in some dark corners of the world.

Lancs Harp
15-09-2016, 10:06 PM
The world is round Ivan it doesnt have any corners. Are you posting from Gorgie?

:greengrin

Scott Allan Key
15-09-2016, 10:13 PM
The world is round Ivan it doesnt have any corners. Are you posting from Gorgie?

:greengrin

The Bermuda Triangle. I found Warburton's Plan B and his hat.

19-09-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm amazed the police have agreed to this.

Regardless of the day, time etc this fixture is always going to attract trouble but having it on hogmanny doesn't help matter at all. Even more pissed up idiots.

Will not want to be near Glasgow that day/night thats for sure.

O'Rourke3
19-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Hogmanay isn't a public holiday. Rates for the polis far less than 24 later. Dealing with thousands of drunks by teatime probably makes the hours after the bells easier too. It's the NHS I feel sorry for.

Smartie
19-09-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm amazed the police have agreed to this.

Regardless of the day, time etc this fixture is always going to attract trouble but having it on hogmanny doesn't help matter at all. Even more pissed up idiots.

Will not want to be near Glasgow that day/night thats for sure.

Whilst Glasgow will surely be the worst place I reckon the whole of Scotland will feel an impact. Lots of people who follow Celtic and Sevco watch their games in pubs or at home with a few beers. It is the early start on the bevy coupled with an explosive fixture that will imo cause chaos later on that day/ at night.

Edinburgh will feel an impact too, I am sure.

hfcnic
19-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Whilst Glasgow will surely be the worst place I reckon the whole of Scotland will feel an impact. Lots of people who follow Celtic and Sevco watch their games in pubs or at home with a few beers. It is the early start on the bevy coupled with an explosive fixture that will imo cause chaos later on that day/ at night.

Edinburgh will feel an impact too, I am sure.

Yep, didn't even think of it that way, if its on the TV many will go out to watch it meaning they start on the drink early and we all know how that ends for some :faf:

lyonhibs
19-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Is Boxing Day any better from a travel logistics POV for coming up from down south for the day?

Not that I'll around, but I'd be giving the city centre of Glasgow a MASSIVE body swerve were I one of many decent folk in the vicinity and in possession of all my own teeth.

mca
19-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Shocked that the police have agreed to this?!

Aye. Think It Was the Riot-Police that Agreed that one :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
19-09-2016, 09:37 PM
To be sponsored by Dr Pepper I'm told...