PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday GOD

Kato
13-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Earlydelivery
13-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Best hibs player I've ever seen absolute fantastic player , absolute loved him as a laddie if he was playing now God only knows what he would be worth think of sauzee but triple it .

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-09-2016, 02:38 PM
:singing: Oh Paddy we love you...oh Paddy we love you :singing:

:not worth:not worth:not worth

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-09-2016, 02:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mepPmVNnTK0

:not worth :na na: :flag::flag::thumbsup:

Kato
13-09-2016, 03:18 PM

That was mayhem behind the goals, great sing song up Gorgie road afterwards too - Jambos wurnae happy.

Wish there was a youtube of his two goals versus Rangers at ER, 2-1 win to Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2016, 03:22 PM
PGS. We loveth tho.

Roxyhibee
13-09-2016, 03:43 PM

Me and my schoolmate had made our way to the very edge of the corner exit behind the goal there, ready to make a dash at the final whistle, thinking the Hertz had finally got their victory against us they were so desperate for.

Then in the last second, The King gracefully rises to equalise and heap even more 70's misery on them. Could not wait to get to school on the Monday.

Happy birthday to my all time favourite football player. Should have got 50 plus caps for Scotland.

snooky
13-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Happy birthday, No. 4

L-E-G-E-N-D

:not worth:not worth:not worth

Jonnyboy
13-09-2016, 04:22 PM

Pat loves talking about that goal and especially to Jambos to remind them he was offside :greengrin

ano hibby
13-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Pat loves talking about that goal and especially to Jambos to remind them he was offside :greengrin

Brilliant looks about a mile off too :)

NAE NOOKIE
13-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Happy birthday Pat http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Frank Moon
13-09-2016, 05:11 PM
I remember that goal so well. Seemed like 3 players could have scored it at the time and the footage backs that up. Brilliant.

Stantons Angel
13-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Best hibs player I've ever seen absolute fantastic player , absolute loved him as a laddie if he was playing now God only knows what he would be worth think of sauzee but triple it .

Got to agree with you there. The man was just majestic and no one holds a candle to him. Simply the best!

Happy Birthday Pat.

Wee Effen Bee
13-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Brilliant looks about a mile off too :)
I missed the goal as my big brother decided we should leave the Jamtarts to it, celebrating in the ground. However, when news of the goal filtered through to those like-minded Hibbies walking eastwards on Gorgie Road, there was pandemonium. We blocked the road and the driver of the no.1 bus kept tooting his horn to get us to move...no chance. We waited for the rest of the Hibs support coming out the ground and sang all the way along to the West End.:flag:Watching Pat on the Roughie show just reminded me what an unassuming and, at times, self-depreciating man, he is. As AJ Rimmer said in Red Dwarf, "What a guy!" Happiest of birthdays sir.

IWasThere2016
13-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Mr Hibs .. no one else is close.

Happy Birthday Legend :flag:

The Pointer
13-09-2016, 07:47 PM

Great seeing that again. I have cause to remember it for having been asked to leave the premises by L & B and told that if I attempted to re-enter I would be arrested.

I couldn't stand listening to the din from outside so waited until about five minutes to go before finding myself back amongst my friends (a mixture of Hibs and Hearts fans - as you did in those far off days) at the school end just in time to witness said goal.

If I hadn't worn my red Belstaff motorcycle jacket I don't think I would have been collared - but perhaps that's due to my lack of taste.

Happy birthday Pat. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

PatHead
13-09-2016, 07:53 PM
They always say you should never meet your heroes as you will end up disappointed. Pat Stanton is the exception. Apart from being our greatest ever player and great ambassador for the club he is a complete gentleman.

Happy birthday Pat. Have a great day.

You, younger ones don't know what you missed.

Iggy Pope
13-09-2016, 08:02 PM
The only other man I ever wanted to be. Adore him.

ACLeith
13-09-2016, 08:05 PM
They always say you should never meet your heroes as you will end up disappointed. Pat Stanton is the exception. Apart from being our greatest ever player and great ambassador for the club he is a complete gentleman.

Happy birthday Pat. Have a great day.

You, younger ones don't know what you missed.

Completely agree PH. Chatted with him when we were walking through Leith Links after the parade. As we went our separate ways he clapped me on the back and said it was nice talking!! Simply stunned at this but confirms what you said. Never meet your heroes? Normally true but not with Pat.

--------
13-09-2016, 08:09 PM

No, no, no, John. Other players positions on the pitch were always defined by their relationship to where Pat was. Wherever he was, was onside. In this case, it was the Hearts defenders who were offside.

Pat was onside in every meaningful sense of the word.

If you don't believe me, ask Erwin Schrodinger.

Or his cat.

They'll tell you.

Seriously, it's such a privilege to have seen Pat play. He was a genuine total footballer long before anyone else thought of it. I saw him play in every position on the park except goalkeeper - but then Peter Cormack and Arfur D were the standby goalies in those days.

He was tireless, covering every blade of grass on the pitch. I have never seen a player so graceful, so elegant in all that he did. My father idolised the Famous Five, and then Joe Baker. For me there's no one to come close to King Paddy.

I trust he's had a very happy birthday, with many, many more to come. :not worth:not worth:not worth

Seveno
13-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Turnbull's Tornadoes were a magnificent team but no player was a match for the man that made them tick, Pat Stanton. He was the finest player that I have ever seen to grace the ER turf.

i will never forget the day that I came back from holiday to learn that he had gone to Parkhead. I was heartbroken but pleased for the man himself.

Jonnyboy
13-09-2016, 08:17 PM
No, no, no, John. Other players positions on the pitch were always defined by their relationship to where Pat was. Wherever he was, was onside. In this case, it was the Hearts defenders who were offside.

Pat was onside in every meaningful sense of the word.

If you don't believe me, ask Erwin Schrodinger.

Or his cat.

They'll tell you.

Seriously, it's such a privilege to have seen Pat play. He was a genuine total footballer long before anyone else thought of it. I saw him play in every position on the park except goalkeeper - but then Peter Cormack and Arfur D were the standby goalies in those days.

He was tireless, covering every blade of grass on the pitch. I have never seen a player so graceful, so elegant in all that he did. My father idolised the Famous Five, and then Joe Baker. For me there's no one to come close to King Paddy.

I trust he's had a very happy birthday, with many, many more to come. :not worth:not worth:not worth

Indeed :greengrin

I used to have the privilege of meeting with Pat once a week to ghost write a column for Hibs.net. We met at his house and every time I went there I recall sitting thinking "That's Pat Stanton sitting there!" :greengrin

He was a majestic footballer and a totally grounded, down to earth, friendly man and I am so glad I had those opportunities

Stantons Angel
13-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Turnbull's Tornadoes were a magnificent team but no player was a match for the man that made them tick, Pat Stanton. He was the finest player that I have ever seen to grace the ER turf.

i will never forget the day that I came back from holiday to learn that he had gone to Parkhead. I was heartbroken but pleased for the man himself.

I know exactly how you feel!

They always tell you that you shouldn't meet your hero as you will be disappointed. This man has been my absolute hero since i was very very young. He has never disappointed the image of him ive had in all of that time. Just listening to him you get a honest truthful assessment of the way he sees things. Isnt influenced by anyone as he is in touch with what is going on in the game.

The day he moved to Celtic i remember vividly i missed the tv news bulletin as i was on my way to the game at Easter Road only to be met by a few of my friends.
They had been worried about me hearing the news and had come to get me off the bus to make sure i was ok. I really thought they were wynding me up.
I was so upset and from that day i never thought the same about Eddie Turnbull at all!

At the age he was it was often the case players dropped down a league or two to continue playing. Not Pat he went on to play for Celtic and win a league and Scottish Cup medal for his collection.

That in itself was a testament to the character and legend of a player he had become.Although he will always be Mr Hibs in many of our eyes!

Greenwich_Hibby
13-09-2016, 09:26 PM
The original, the best, no-one comes close - Happy Birthday Pat.

--------
13-09-2016, 09:45 PM

For what he meant to Hibs in those years, his contract would be literally priceless.

Considering Raheem Sterling went to Man City for nearly £50m, and Arsenal signed Perez for £17m and Mustafi for £35m? Pat's real value would be £50 million and rising.

I was friendly with a guy who followed Hearts. IIRC Pat's first League game for Celtic was at Tynecastle, playing in the defence alongside Roy Aitken and Roddy MacDonald, a couple of raw Hieland stirks with plenty muscle but little brain.

No, that's not fair - they were good players but needed time in the side and experience - and a mentor, which Pat certainly was.

Alec saw me that night in the High Street, and he was raging. Hibs, he said, had sold Celtic the League Championship for £5,000 and Jackie McNamara - Pat had talked Aitken and MacDonald through the game, hadn't put a foot wrong himself, played the consummate captain's role in the side and made everyone around him a far better player than before ...

Needless to say, I wasn't terribly sympathetic - I was grieving for Pat's departure (still am in a sense) and couldn't have cared less about the Championship or anything else.

It turned out that Alec was absolutely right - Pat's arrival won Celtic the League and Cup and bought Stein time for lesser players to mature and learn from him.

On the whole I'm now glad he has his League and Cup winner's medals - he deserved them, and he wasn't going to win them at Hibs, the way ET was taking us by that time.

But he NEVER looked 'right' in that hooped shirt. :bitchy:

snooky
13-09-2016, 09:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

One of the birthday boy's greatest games, IMO.
Majestic, elegant, class are understatements.
Pat was immense that day.

--------
13-09-2016, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

One of the birthday boy's greatest games, IMO.
Majestic, elegant, class are understatements.
Pat was immense that day.

I have a canvas photo-print of that goal hanging on the wall in my stairwell. Pat slamming it past the keeper, Jimmy watching close in, and Onion in the background with his mouth open looking as if he cannae quite believe it.

Two perfect illustrations of the art of losing your marker and arriving in space - and then putting the ball where it does the most good for your team. What got me at the time and still does is the almost careless, lackadaisical way Pat seems to cross the ball to the near post for Jimmy, and yet the pass was inch-perfect. As was Jim's glancing header to the far side of the goal, way beyond the goalkeeper.

That game was 44 years ago in November. Where does time go to?

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/BJNXJC/091272-league-cup-final-celtic-v-hibs-1-2-hampden-glasgow-pat-stanton-BJNXJC.jpg

monktonharp
15-09-2016, 12:30 AM
17434was the same da

te as my birthday, so very pleasing. I'm a wee bit younger than the great man though:greengrin