PDA

View Full Version : sevco statement

Pages : [1] 2

greenteam
13-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Was reading the news this morning and yet again spat my coffee all over the dog.
Are they for real???. They are "disgusted at the hatred and bigotry aimed at them"???.. im actually gobsmacked at the article

Pumphyhibby
13-09-2016, 07:00 AM
They don't do irony at Ibrox 😂

Callyballybe
13-09-2016, 07:08 AM
They don't do irony at Ibrox 😂

Beat me to it!

Mr White
13-09-2016, 07:10 AM
So they're sticking with the attack is the best form of defence strategy. You'd think watching james tavernier every week would put them off that idea :greengrin

Iain G
13-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Was reading the news this morning and yet again spat my coffee all over the dog.
Are they for real???. They are "disgusted at the hatred and bigotry aimed at them"???.. im actually gobsmacked at the article

Doing everything to distract everyone from the result on the pitch :agree:

calumhibee1
13-09-2016, 07:21 AM
They're beginning to look like Hearts under Romanovs stewardship with constant ridiculous statements.

Ozyhibby
13-09-2016, 07:23 AM
They're beginning to look like Hearts under Romanovs stewardship with constant ridiculous statements.

And look how the press lampooned Romanov. Will that happen with the new Rangers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
13-09-2016, 07:25 AM
I've not read the statement but If it's as laughable as I imagine then this is good from our point of view. It's confirming people's suspicions about them being childish losers who lash out when they're hurt and maybe the "Hampden riot" wasn't quite how it was presented to us by Rangers and their pals.

The old saying "give them enough rope" is appropriate here and I bet there are a few people in our camp who are quietly s******ing.

Pete
13-09-2016, 07:26 AM

The difference is that Romanov had a point. One thing he didn't have, like someone else suggested, is lots of friends in the Scottish media.

lucky
13-09-2016, 07:31 AM
We are going to see it all season, they get beat so attack the oppositions fans. They cause trouble wreck the toilets so attack the opposition fans. They sing sectarian bile so attack the opposition fans. They are being run by bigger fools than ever, even Romanvo would not come out with this rubbish.

CyberSauzee
13-09-2016, 07:36 AM
It now takes 48 hours to feel insulted these days?

Or that long to find something on social media to feel insulted about?

Sir David Gray
13-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Seeing Celtic and Rangers fans argue over who behaved worse at the weekend is quite amusing.

It's a bit like Kim Jong-un and Bashar al-Assad campaigning for world leader of the year.

rcarter1
13-09-2016, 07:39 AM

I agree that Rangers do their best to avoid condemnation of their own bigoted traditions, but at the same time rather than just attack these guys, an olive branch could help us all get to a more sensible place.

#FromTheCapital
13-09-2016, 07:49 AM
The difference is that Romanov had a point. One thing he didn't have, like someone else suggested, is lots of friends in the Scottish media.

Romanov may have had a point (I'm not actually sure!), but his statements were worded in such a way that made very little sense and were, quite rightly, ridiculed by everyone.

As for the Rangers, anyone who even half heartedly follows Scottish football can see through the bull****.

Ozyhibby
13-09-2016, 07:50 AM
I agree that Rangers do their best to avoid condemnation of their own bigoted traditions, but at the same time rather than just attack these guys, an olive branch could help us all get to a more sensible place.

It's too late for that, Sevco have been taken over by the worst elements of their fan base. King is happy for the like of Chris Graham and Traynor to put out all this nonsense because it shields him from criticism and allows him to extract as much cash as possible from the club.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Seeing Celtic and Rangers fans argue over who behaved worse at the weekend is quite amusing.

It's a bit like Kim Jong-un and Bashar al-Assad campaigning for world leader of the year.

That made me laugh.

JimBHibees
13-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Absolute joke and alot of it can be put at the door of supposedly reasonable Rangers men. When Walter Smith came out with a nonsensical statement last season about still being bitter against other clubs then you know you have a problem. Not an ounce of humility about doing anything wrong just the usual noone likes us we dont care mantra. If that was any other team with the array of shysters who have been in that boardroom in the last few years they would be pilloried from pillar to post. The fact that this hasnt happened is that as Alex Thompson C4 journo says they have a disproportionate influence in football and society up here and people who could make a difference lack the moral backbone to do anything and take the easy way out. So this wonderful spectacle is exactly what Scottish football has been missing in the last few years, quite the opposite in fact. Someone please step up and do something about it as this is only going to get uglier.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 08:05 AM
Absolute joke and alot of it can be put at the door of supposedly reasonable Rangers men. When Walter Smith came out with a nonsensical statement last season about still being bitter against other clubs then you know you have a problem. Not an ounce of humility about doing anything wrong just the usual noone likes us we dont care mantra. If that was any other team with the array of shysters who have been in that boardroom in the last few years they would be pilloried from pillar to post. The fact that this hasnt happened is that as Alex Thompson C4 journo says they have a disproportionate influence in football and society up here and people who could make a difference lack the moral backbone to do anything and take the easy way out. So this wonderful spectacle is exactly what Scottish football has been missing in the last few years, quite the opposite in fact. Someone please step up and do something about it as this is only going to get uglier.

What worries me is (as posted above)..this looks like escalating into something even worse. Celtic are right not to comment on it as Rankgers
Seem hell bent on making their fans feel persecuted. Which will cause violence and even more hatred towards other fans..are they blind to this????

hibs0666
13-09-2016, 08:11 AM
What worries me is (as posted above)..this looks like escalating into something even worse. Celtic are right not to comment on it as Rankgers
Seem hell bent on making their fans feel persecuted. Which will cause violence and even more hatred towards other fans..are they blind to this????

This is simply inviting government intervention as the clubs and football authorities are showing that they not in control of the sectarian problem.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2016, 08:23 AM
I'm not quite sure what they seek to achieve by this strategy. We live in a different era of declining MSM and growing social media, where quietly exercising control over how things are presented, through funny handshakes with key players, no longer holds sway. Instead, they are trying to browbeat the 'moderate' establishment huns into going along with their increasingly deranged 'us against the world' strategy.

It can only end in more humiliation and pain for them. The problem is, as some have indicated, a lot of people could get hurt in the the crossfire on the way down.

If King needs a smokescreen of this density, imagine the level of scamming he's doing behind the scenes.

Big L
13-09-2016, 08:37 AM
This has Traynor written all over it, they knew they were going to take **** over the result and the damage done to the toilets so they try to deflect the criticism by accusing the other side of sectarianism. It's absolutely laughable!

Deansy
13-09-2016, 08:40 AM
It's too late for that, Sevco have been taken over by the worst elements of their fan base. King is happy for the like of Chris Graham and Traynor to put out all this nonsense because it shields him from criticism and allows him to extract as much cash as possible from the club.

Correct !!. As long as the Hun are desparate for money, King will continue to chase the '**** £' as its by far the biggest element of their support !

And it'll be done with no fear whatsoever of the Scottish 'Media' taking them to task - that'll NEVER happen !

Ozyhibby
13-09-2016, 08:45 AM
This has Traynor written all over it, they knew they were going to take **** over the result and the damage done to the toilets so they try to deflect the criticism by accusing the other side of sectarianism. It's absolutely laughable!

I still have not seen any evidence of sectarianism from the Celtic support?
The sex dolls are obviously in bad taste (when are sex dolls not?) but not exactly sectarian.

bawheid
13-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Government intervention is something Scottish football has needed for a long time. I doubt Nicola will be wanting to get involved though, unless she absolutely has to.

CorrieHibs
13-09-2016, 08:49 AM
I still have not seen any evidence of sectarianism from the Celtic support?
The sex dolls are obviously in bad taste (when are sex dolls not?) but not exactly sectarian.

They are claiming "Hun" is sectarian. And the Celtic fans had banners saying "Hun ****" and another banner saying something else about Huns.

It's laughable that The Rangers are even bringing this up. They're a very bitter team.

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 08:49 AM

That's a good idea.

I suggest we carve the branch into a baseball bat and use that.
:aok:

greenteam
13-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Government intervention is something Scottish football has needed for a long time. I doubt Nicola will be wanting to get involved though, unless she absolutely has to.

Somebody has to before this blows up into something really bad

Stevie Reid
13-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Charles Green has a lot to answer for in all this too.

Bostonhibby
13-09-2016, 09:00 AM
That's a good idea.

There'll be green in the branch so they won't touch it.

What I can't get my head round is who the **** do they think they are? Issuing statements left right and centre as if the rest of the world is sitting waiting before it makes it's mind up.

There's a small section of society that might need to be guided by banana republic style dictators but whoever is behind this strategy doesn't understand how backward and institutionalized they look.

They do need to keep their fans eyes of the ball though, maybe one or two of them will eventually look inward as the mess escalates? They thought cheeky Charlie was bad!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Hibee87
13-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Somebody has to before this blows up into something really bad

I said this on the cup final statements, but what are ranger hoping to achieve from all these statements?

All it is doing is inciting the hatred towards them, but most importantly their fans hatred of others. How long can they ignore their own fans failings and place blame on others? All i see this achieving is increased hostility between them and every other team, how long before it results in someones death due an eliment of their support going to far? what happens then!

The SFA HAVE to put this nonsense to bed before things escalate beyond control.

Danderhall Hibs
13-09-2016, 09:13 AM
What Tom English said on the radio last night was interesting. He contacted the SPFL after The Rangers fans sectarian singing at Killie - he asked who their rep at the game was, they didn't know and said they'd find out. They didn't, so he chased them and they've not replied.

Basically no one in charge cares and because of that The Rangers fans have assumed they've got the green light to bash on as they want.

Highland_Hibee
13-09-2016, 09:14 AM
We are Rangers, Glasgow Rangers. We don't do I-ron-y.

lord bunberry
13-09-2016, 09:14 AM
I said this on the cup final statements, but what are ranger hoping to achieve from all these statements?

All it is doing is inciting the hatred towards them, but most importantly their fans hatred of others. How long can they ignore their own fans failings and place blame on others? All i see this achieving is increased hostility between them and every other team, how long before it results in someones death due an eliment of their support going to far? what happens then!

That's exactly the way I see it, but we all know the SFA will do nothing about it.

GreenPJ
13-09-2016, 09:29 AM

:agree: I am sure the Rangers hierarchy have deliberately encouraged this siege mentality that they are portraying at the moment in part to cover up their continued deficiencies around finances and governance without realising the broader consequences or hatred its building on all sides (I don't just mean Celtic/Rangers rivalry).

Whether it be government facilitated or not the SFA/SPFL need to take this bull by the horns and get the clubs round the table to lay down some rules for all sides that will be acted upon if the rules are broken (points deductions, removal from cup competitions or even suspensions of club registration).

Onion
13-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Absolute joke and alot of it can be put at the door of supposedly reasonable Rangers men. When Walter Smith came out with a nonsensical statement last season about still being bitter against other clubs then you know you have a problem. Not an ounce of humility about doing anything wrong just the usual no one likes us we dont care mantra. If that was any other team with the array of shysters who have been in that boardroom in the last few years they would be pilloried from pillar to post. The fact that this hasnt happened is that as Alex Thompson C4 journo says they have a disproportionate influence in football and society up here and people who could make a difference lack the moral backbone to do anything and take the easy way out. So this wonderful spectacle is exactly what Scottish football has been missing in the last few years, quite the opposite in fact. Someone please step up and do something about it as this is only going to get uglier.

Well, they've got that half right. Their pathetic bleating and whining after the Cup Final and last weekend in response to a little gloating and goading by the winners has shown them up for what they are - the biggest set of whingers in British football. They care alright :thumbsup:

greenteam
13-09-2016, 09:37 AM
:agree: I am sure the Rangers hierarchy have deliberately encouraged this siege mentality that they are portraying at the moment in part to cover up their continued deficiencies around finances and governance without realising the broader consequences or hatred its building on all sides (I don't just mean Celtic/Rangers rivalry).

Whether it be government facilitated or not the SFA/SPFL need to take this bull by the horns and get the clubs round the table to lay down some rules for all sides that will be acted upon if the rules are broken (points deductions, removal from cup competitions or even suspensions of club registration).

Great points.
Im all for freedom of the press etc, but they must see the problems and future problems printing these statements will cause.
Unhappy with everything and everyone involved that are flaunting this bill . Its like the media are firing this bonfire of bile.
Its turning into a them against us and as someone said. It wont just be an OF problem. Id hate to see that deranged club at ER this season

Onion
13-09-2016, 09:38 AM

:top marks

--------
13-09-2016, 09:41 AM

All it is doing is inciting the hatred towards them, but most importantly their fans hatred of others. How long can they ignore their own fans failings and place blame on others? All i see this achieving is increased hostility between them and every other team, how long before it results in someones death due an element of their support going to far? what happens then!

Absolutely right, but I fear they're beyond control now.

Someone gets killed or put in a coma, they'll just have Traynor issue a statement saying it was the victim's own fault.

These people have always reckoned they're justified in attacking folks who "look at them the wrong way". Now you don't even have to look.

berwickhibee
13-09-2016, 09:46 AM
as jimmy nail said on twitter after the Scottish cup final-----rangers fans complaining about other clubs fans is a bit like jozef fritzel telling you how to bring up your kids:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
13-09-2016, 09:48 AM
as jimmy nail said on twitter after the Scottish cup final-----rangers fans complaining about other clubs fans is a bit like jozef fritzel telling you how to bring up your kids:thumbsup:

Thats brilliant. :greengrin

MrSmith
13-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Y'know, Scottish football has been a relatively quiet place for a few years however, the Rangers return to the top league, create havoc and sing their vile bile and think it's ok?? Surely the SPFL/SFA can see they are the problem and have brought both our game and country into disrepute!

They are are the most disgusting entity in sporting life coupled with their complicit media of whom, require to be extremely censored for their reporting that incites hatred and will result in harmful injury or worse!

surreyhibbie
13-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Basically no one in charge cares and because of that The Rangers fans have assumed they've got the green light to bash on as they want.

Green light?

They'd probably smash it...

:greengrin

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-09-2016, 10:12 AM
I've always felt that as the country's "establishment club" Rangers have always controlled what is said by the media and how things are reported and also have the "SFA" like a puppet and somehow have a free ride from them. Scotland's game has highlighted the attitude and tolerance from those at the highest level of Scottish Football towards sectarianism and stopping this. Whether we are talking about sectarianism or the way rangers “mismanaged” their funds for years and resulted in their funeral the end result is still the same – the club takes no responsibility, and actually blames everyone else and the SFA turn a blind eye to it all.

This has been ongoing for years, so why have the government never stepped in to stop this?? Other countries have their issues, even in the UK we see certain clubs down south with hooliganism problems but none seem as prominent as the cancer of Scottish football that is sectarianism. Make no mistake, both clubs are at – Rangers just don’t care so shout it openly and freely.

From our perspective, what can WE do about it?? From a personal point of view, I’d like to see us stop using the term “Hun” – lets be serious, we all know it is a derogatory term so why use it? its done because we know it will anger them. Let them sing their sectarian songs and bile because make no mistake, until serious repercussions are enforced such as stadium closure or the docking of points this will never leave our game but at least when there is some kind of intervention whether it be from SFA/UEFA/FIFA or the government we can clearly hold our hands up and say we have not been involved!

Rangers FC – forever the school bully that runs crying when they’re hit back! but lets give them nothing to whinge about from our perspective – we’re better than that and we’re classier than that and them

johnbc70
13-09-2016, 10:17 AM
What Tom English said on the radio last night was interesting. He contacted the SPFL after The Rangers fans sectarian singing at Killie - he asked who their rep at the game was, they didn't know and said they'd find out. They didn't, so he chased them and they've not replied.

So swept under the carpet as per usual. I emailed the SFA about the same thing and after being ignored a number of times they said it was nothing to do with the SFA and I should contact the SPFL. Technically they are of course right but it's just another sign that the people running the game in this country have no clue and are not interested in doing anything to stamp out the bigotry and hatred.

jacomo
13-09-2016, 10:19 AM

:agree:

You can't reason with these people, they are playing their bile and hate cards to deflect from their own failings.

They even attack the DR, who bend over backwards to appease them.

This is the club, remember, who are doing all they can to get Hibs punished for the behaviour of our fans at Hampden and have said nothing about the behaviour of their own fans, except to praise them for their 'restraint'.

I think ignoring them or mocking them are the only courses of action available.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 10:19 AM
I've always felt that as the country's "establishment club" Rangers have always controlled what is said by the media and how things are reported and also have the "SFA" like a puppet and somehow have a free ride from them. Scotland's game has highlighted the attitude and tolerance from those at the highest level of Scottish Football towards sectarianism and stopping this. Whether we are talking about sectarianism or the way rangers “mismanaged” their funds for years and resulted in their funeral the end result is still the same – the club takes no responsibility, and actually blames everyone else and the SFA turn a blind eye to it all.

This has been ongoing for years, so why have the government never stepped in to stop this?? Other countries have their issues, even in the UK we see certain clubs down south with hooliganism problems but none seem as prominent as the cancer of Scottish football that is sectarianism. Make no mistake, both clubs are at – Rangers just don’t care so shout it openly and freely.

From our perspective, what can WE do about it?? From a personal point of view, I’d like to see us stop using the term “Hun” – lets be serious, we all know it is a derogatory term so why use it? its done because we know it will anger them. Let them sing their sectarian songs and bile because make no mistake, until serious repercussions are enforced such as stadium closure or the docking of points this will never leave our game but at least when there is some kind of intervention whether it be from SFA/UEFA/FIFA or the government we can clearly hold our hands up and say we have not been involved!

Rangers FC – forever the school bully that runs crying when they’re hit back! but lets give them nothing to whinge about from our perspective – we’re better than that and we’re classier than that and them

Well said. However a Hun was a fearsome warrior and hated calling them that anyway lol.
Like the fact we are better than that, but I really don't want their fans near ER this season. .

Topographic Hibby
13-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Call their bluff.

Fans behaving in unacceptable, sectarian conduct should have their teams punished. Points deductions, thrown out of competitions and withholding sponsorship money etc. etc. Full liability for a teams' fans is back on the table now, thanks to OF fans this weekend.

Who would suffer first and most in this?

Not us.........

JimBHibees
13-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Call their bluff.

Fans behaving in unacceptable, sectarian conduct should have their teams punished. Points deductions, thrown out of competitions and withholding sponsorship money etc. etc. Full liability for a teams' fans is back on the table now, thanks to OF fans this weekend.

Not us.........

Quite simply full liability has to be accepted by clubs for this to be eradicated.

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Well said. However a Hun was a fearsome warrior and hated calling them that anyway lol.
Like the fact we are better than that, but I really don't want their fans near ER this season. .

Once a Hun always a Hun I say.

I wouldn't dream of stopping calling them Huns, the ground the Hunnery etc etc.
They have started this ridiculous notion that it is a derogatory term for a protestant, and I think that's just utter bollocks.

To stop merely confirms in their tiny minds that we are the bigots and that they have succeeded in quietening us down.

I really don't feel any less classy by referring to Huns as Huns.

But then again I'm probably not that classy anyway.

rcarter1
13-09-2016, 10:41 AM

You can't reason with these people, they are playing their bile and hate cards to deflect from their own failings.

They even attack the DR, who bend over backwards to appease them.

This is the club, remember, who are doing all they can to get Hibs punished for the behaviour of our fans at Hampden and have said nothing about the behaviour of their own fans, except to praise them for their 'restraint'.

I think ignoring them or mocking them are the only courses of action available.

Im not convinced that any concerted and well thought through attempt has been made by anyone to reason with anyone (yet). So far its been mainly passing the buck, name calling, bluff and playing Lily white.

Ignoring them is one course of action, but mocking is just asking for things to get worse.

It would be refreshing to see the leaders of Scottish football, the Press, Fans groups and the clubs, to sit around a table and talk.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Call their bluff.

Not us.........

Agree, but wont happen. They generate too much TV money and money dictates everything..this has to be a government assessment of the way forward.
TV Will not be happy and do the norm. Eg cutting funds.
Anything to do with TV. SFA
media. Has to be taken out the picture. We all know nobody cam do or will change or want anything that makes money. Unfortunately it has to be the government that steps in. ...sad but true

greenteam
13-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Agree, but wont happen. They generate too much TV money and money dictates everything..this has to be a government assessment of the way forward.
TV Will not be happy and do the norm. Eg cutting funds.
Anything to do with TV. SFA
media. Has to be taken out the picture. We all know nobody cam do or will change or want anything that makes money. Unfortunately it has to be the government that steps in. ...sad but true
That changes making money...sorry

matty_f
13-09-2016, 11:19 AM

I heard that this morning on my way to work, it's incredible, really. They don't know who the delegate was? Really?

I think it's astonishing that they would try to just bury their heads and hope the issue goes away itself.

As an aside, if The Rangers are going to perpetuate this idea that they are victims all the time, can we expect them to change the words of their song to "We are the bullied boys"?

banarc7062
13-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Y'know, Scottish football has been a relatively quiet place for a few years however, the Rangers return to the top league, create havoc and sing their vile bile and think it's ok?? Surely the SPFL/SFA can see they are the problem and have brought both our game and country into disrepute!

They are are the most disgusting entity in sporting life coupled with their complicit media of whom, require to be extremely censored for their reporting that incites hatred and will result in harmful injury or worse!

Why is an on-line Government Petition not started calling on all, not just football supporters, to petition the Government to take matters in hand to put a stop to all the hate generating actions of the new Rangers, They expect to get away with all their bile and sectarian singing with the support of the red tops in Glasgow. As mentioned earlier here some poor person is going to suffer serious damage if caught in the wrong place at the wrong time with the hoardes of the rangers "fans". We already know SFA and SPFL will do nothing whatever to stop the current trends increasing as demonstrated when they lost the Scottish Cup and now the defeat at Celtic Park.

NAE NOOKIE
As I said on the other thread, I find it quite unbelievable that Sevco have chosen to go down this route. There always seemed to be an unwritten rule understood by both Old Firm clubs that they would never take each other to task over sectarianism at an official level for the very good reason that its a can of worms that would benefit neither club if it was opened. They were happy to watch hypocrisy ooze from both sets of fans on the subject, but very wisely never got involved by commenting on it.

If you ask me what Sevco have done here could actually signal the birth pains of the end of the Old Firm making money on the back of the sectarian gravy train. Celtic can see it and that's why they have refused to get drawn into a war of words with the The Rangers board, because they know that if a public argument develops between the actual clubs over who is more sectarian the MSM, who up until now have been able to keep both sets of fans on board by rarely if ever seriously criticising either club over sectarianism, will have no option but to take a neutral stance.
The only form that could possibly take is for them to grow some baws act like proper journalists and finally get their teeth into both clubs over the issue, because to take a side in the whitabootery would be economic suicide for the national newspapers in particular, but to ignore the issue would be just as damaging and would rip away any last vestiges of credibility they have left.

Then there's the SFA and SPFL ........ Even UEFA have stepped in at one point and Punished the old Rangers for anti Catholic bigotry at an away European tie, but the SFA / SPFL have never, not even once, threatened either side of the Old Firm with sanctions or any punishment whatsoever for the sectarianism that pervades their support every Saturday. This current situation, if it were to escalate, would back the blazers into a corner and in order to avoid looking even more weak and inept than they already do, if that were possible, they would have no choice but to introduce strict liability to every competition.

Their biggest challenge will be to form a definition as to what constitutes bigoted behaviour ... with Sevco that's not too difficult to do because their songs and chants contain an element of anti Catholic bigotry that's easy to define. With Celtic that's not quite so easy, a song like 'the fields of Athenry' cannot of itself be seen as inti Protestant or bigoted, because it is clearly a song that condemns persecution, not a song that encourages or perpetuates it. But any song or chant referencing the IRA is a sitting duck.

Then there's the thorny subject of the word 'Hun' ...... Does a word become sectarian because the people its aimed at are themselves sectarian? Does that then mean that the words 'Sevco' and 'Zombie' are now also sectarian? What's just an insult and what's a sectarian insult?

If I was Peter Lawwell at this juncture I would be on the phone to Ibrox asking for a very, very secret sit down with the Sevco board in a last ditch attempt to explain to them why what they have done could very easily derail the gravy train they have both been riding on for nearly a century .... even when Rangers were being run by people who were openly anti Catholic they were never stupid enough to make an issue of what the other side did, if the current incumbents at Ibrox cant see why that was then they are truly the stupidest people on the planet ...... their first move should be to sack Jim Traynor, of all the people involved at that club he should have been the one to recognise the stupidity of the move they have just made.

JeMeSouviens

I couldn't agree less.

My whole lifetime it's been used as a mildly pejorative term for a Rangers supporter by the whole of Scottish football, it's got nothing to do with sectarianism, it's not abuse, even calling it derogatory is a bit of a stretch. I'm an atheist from a protestant background, why would I use a sectarian term against protestants?

They have had a campaign to transform the word into a term of sectarian abuse solely so that they can then turn round and say everyone else is as bad as them. Let's not give in and make it easy for them or 1. it'll vindicate their victim complex and 2. they'll just pick something else to be mock-offended about.

Huns. :rolleyes:

Beefster
13-09-2016, 11:23 AM
So basically, every time they take a pumping, The Rangers is going to metaphorically wave its hands and shout "don't look over there, look over here".

Hibs Class
13-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Once a Hun always a Hun I say.

I wouldn't dream of stopping calling them Huns, the ground the Hunnery etc etc.
They have started this ridiculous notion that it is a derogatory term for a protestant, and I think that's just utter bollocks.

To stop merely confirms in their tiny minds that we are the bigots and that they have succeeded in quietening us down.

I really don't feel any less classy by referring to Huns as Huns.

But then again I'm probably not that classy anyway.

I'm Hibs Class and huns are huns.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2016, 11:30 AM
I couldn't agree less.

My whole lifetime it's been used as a mildly pejorative term for a Rangers supporter by the whole of Scottish football, it's got nothing to do with sectarianism, it's not abuse, even calling it derogatory is a bit of a stretch. I'm an atheist from a protestant background, why would I use a sectarian term against protestants?

They have had a campaign to transform the word into a term of sectarian abuse solely so that they can then turn round and say everyone else is as bad as them. Let's not give in and make it easy for them or 1. it'll vindicate their victim complex and 2. they'll just pick something else to be mock-offended about.

Exactly. Why concede to the smokescreen lunacy of those bigots? Hun would only be replaced by Zombies, which is a worse term, which would they would them claim is sectarian on the ludicrous basis that it is presumably a word for 'protestant'. Those bigots are neither 'protestants' nor 'Christians' of any shade, and the most embarrassing thing is their pathetic attempt to appropriate that term.

Captain Trips
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/440197/group-of-babies-2.jpg

The Rangers prepare next statement.

JeMeSouviens
Why is an on-line Government Petition not started calling on all, not just football supporters, to petition the Government to take matters in hand to put a stop to all the hate generating actions of the new Rangers, They expect to get away with all their bile and sectarian singing with the support of the red tops in Glasgow. As mentioned earlier here some poor person is going to suffer serious damage if caught in the wrong place at the wrong time with the hoardes of the rangers "fans". We already know SFA and SPFL will do nothing whatever to stop the current trends increasing as demonstrated when they lost the Scottish Cup and now the defeat at Celtic Park.

We don't need the government. The SFA and the SPFL are the member clubs. The member clubs can be put under pressure. Start an open campaign to get Hibs to press for strict liability. Get supporters of the other clubs to do the same. Points deductions and ground closures and this will all stop tout de suite!

At the very least it would force Celtic and the New Huns to publicly state why they oppose it. I doubt they can stand in the way of it if there is enough public pressure and that would be the time to get the government to lean on them.

It would of course lay Hibs open to punishment for when our bams step out of line but as long as the rules are clear and well publicised, I think that's a price worth paying, personally.

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm Hibs Class and huns are huns.

:thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
13-09-2016, 11:36 AM
I couldn't agree less.

Absolutely .... this is what I was saying in my own post. The term Hun has been used to describe Rangers FC and their fans for decades, it was never used as a sectarian term .. I have never, not once, heard Protestants described as 'Huns' neither here in Scotland or in any book, report, film or documentary ( which are legion ) on the subject of the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland.

And as you allude to .... what will be the next word that becomes sectarian ... Sevco?, Zombie? I don't care what 'Nil by Mouth' have to say on this subject, you simply cannot go around giving words a meaning they don't have and a meaning they are not intended to have, no matter how much it suits either your agenda or the agenda of people who are trying to pressure you into doing so for their own ends.

Huns, huns, huns, huns, huns.

lyonhibs
13-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Is this the fan statement requesting a ban for Celtc fans at Ipox or something official from the club?

If the latter, a link would be much appreciated.

Craig_HFC
13-09-2016, 11:39 AM
They'll get called Huns as long as they keep acting like Huns.

jgl07
13-09-2016, 11:40 AM
I understood the term was coined by a journalist down south after Rangers fans ran amok. He said they resembled Attilla's hordes rampaging across Europe.

JeMeSouviens
13-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Is this the fan statement requesting a ban for Celtc fans at Ipox or something official from the club?

If the latter, a link would be much appreciated.

Official and widely reported but I don't see it on their website:

http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1366836-rangers-accuse-celtic-fans-of-shameful-sectarian-hatred/

The Rangers statement said: "The club's directors are fully aware of the disgust felt by Rangers supporters who were subjected to a sickening and shameful display of outright sectarian hatred towards them.

"We also share the fans' anger and will be contacting Club 1872 as a matter of urgency."

matty_f
13-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Rangers would have far more credibility if they'd offered Stubbs up an apology for the sickening and shameful sectarian hatred their fans aimed at him during the Cup Final.

GreenPJ
13-09-2016, 11:44 AM
I couldn't agree less.

Whether the actual definition of the term Hun might not actually have any sectarian connotations the way its used in association with Rangers is perceived either by those that use it or Rangers fans themselves as being derogatory and sectarian. In the same way the word fenian in its own right is not offensive when used by football fans it generally becomes an insult.

You say its 'mildly' pejorative - who deems it to be mild? I don't use the term hun myself but I think in return for the authorities and the Rangers themselves to start to take steps in addressing the sectarian problem then I don't think its a big ask for Scottish football fans to give up use of the term - one less thing for them to moan about.

jgl07
13-09-2016, 11:47 AM
They'll get called Huns as long as they keep acting like Huns.

In view of last week's actions maybe we should start calling them Vandals?

greenteam
13-09-2016, 11:47 AM
I couldn't agree less.

See your point, but has long ago had nothing to with religion. This is a new entity I think. Hibs dont have a Catholic following anymore.im for one not a Catholic. Its got more sinister over there. We are supporting a football team not a religious belief...they are..its so 1654..
I still find religious beliefs and football not connected and please nobody remind me of our Irish roots because I know. .
Im proud to be a fan of an irish imigrant football club, but this kinda **** should of died out years ago..last time at ER I was sat with some moslim lads giving it big about the hibees.
My point is religious bollocks, politics and history should be not allowed as a piss take..
I was a soldier for 25 years. I was posted to Ireland 3 times and hated it because I didnt agree with it..its about time Rangers fans excepted something that happened in 1690 isnt really relevant to football

matty_f
13-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Absolutely .... this is what I was saying in my own post. The term Hun has been used to describe Rangers FC and their fans for decades, it was never used as a sectarian term .. I have never, not once, heard Protestants described as 'Huns' neither here in Scotland or in any book, report, film or documentary ( which are legion ) on the subject of the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland.

And as you allude to .... what will be the next word that becomes sectarian ... Sevco?, Zombie? I don't care what 'Nil by Mouth' have to say on this subject, you simply cannot go around giving words a meaning they don't have and a meaning they are not intended to have, no matter how much it suits either your agenda or the agenda of people who are trying to pressure you into doing so for their own ends.

The Nil By Mouth website lists 'Hun' as a sectarian term, I'm not sure how much weight that holds or what authority they have to pass judgement on it, but it's certainly a term that some people consider to be sectarian.

I think there's a good argument against it being sectarian though, as it's used to describe The Rangers fans regardless of their religion, so a Jewish Rangers fan, a Catholic Rangers fan, a Protestant Rangers fan, a Muslim etc.. could all be considered as huns.

It's not a pleasant term, but neither is spoon burner or sheep ****ger, which are used to describe Hibs and Aberdeen fans, respectively. In context, they're used the same as we use Huns, so I can't see how it could be considered sectarian in that context.

13-09-2016, 11:55 AM

You really couldn't make it up with them. They are becoming more and more of a laughing stock by the day with these utterly pathetic and cringeworthy statements. They absolutely love this "poor us, the big boys are being mean to poor old us" routine don't they!

They are without a doubt the most vile, hate filled, bigotted and down right horrible set of fans in British football. Bigotry has become so ingrained into the club that it has become normalised there and therefore they now fail to see that they are doing anything wrong. Their bitterness towards other clubs voting to keep them out of the league after their death has taken their bigotry and vileness to whole new levels.

Colr
13-09-2016, 11:55 AM
They are claiming "Hun" is sectarian. And the Celtic fans had banners saying "Hun ****" and another banner saying something else about Huns.

It's laughable that The Rangers are even bringing this up. They're a very bitter team.
Is the name Hun used to refer to Protestants? I've only ever heard it used in reference to Rangers supporters.

Waxy
13-09-2016, 11:58 AM
What will it be like when Celtic have won their 10 in a row?
Seatbelts on.

13-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Rangers would have far more credibility if they'd offered Stubbs up an apology for the sickening and shameful sectarian hatred their fans aimed at him during the Cup Final.

Oh no, according to the rangers statement, the rangers fans were wonderful that day and showed "great restraint" :rolleyes:

LancsHibs
13-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Whatever next? The word 'The' being used as a prefix to the word 'Rangers' is also sectarian😂

greenteam
13-09-2016, 12:00 PM
The Nil By Mouth website lists 'Hun' as a sectarian term, I'm not sure how much weight that holds or what authority they have to pass judgement on it, but it's certainly a term that some people consider to be sectarian.

I think there's a good argument against it being sectarian though, as it's used to describe The Rangers fans regardless of their religion, so a Jewish Rangers fan, a Catholic Rangers fan, a Protestant Rangers fan, a Muslim etc.. could all be considered as huns.

It's not a pleasant term, but neither is spoon burner or sheep ****ger, which are used to describe Hibs and Aberdeen fans, respectively. In context, they're used the same as we use Huns, so I can't see how it could be considered sectarian in that context.

We are called fenions...happy with that..proud tribe who took **** off nobody. Huns the same. .they were scary btw lol.
Its all gravy..the point is they dont know **** about **** and are believing stuff that is irrelevant to football and modern society. ..somebody educate these zombies???

CropleyWasGod
13-09-2016, 12:01 PM
We are called fenions...happy with that..proud tribe who took **** off nobody. Huns the same. .they were scary btw lol.
Its all gravy..the point is they dont know **** about **** and are believing stuff that is irrelevant to football and modern society. ..somebody educate these zombies???

I think you need to revisit your understanding of the word "fenians". :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
13-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Whether the actual definition of the term Hun might not actually have any sectarian connotations the way its used in association with Rangers is perceived either by those that use it or Rangers fans themselves as being derogatory and sectarian. In the same way the word fenian in its own right is not offensive when used by football fans it generally becomes an insult.

You say its 'mildly' pejorative - who deems it to be mild? I don't use the term hun myself but I think in return for the authorities and the Rangers themselves to start to take steps in addressing the sectarian problem then I don't think its a big ask for Scottish football fans to give up use of the term - one less thing for them to moan about.

Perhaps not GreenP ....... but it differs in as much as its a word that can be directly linked to Irish history and the history of the Protestant v Catholic troubles in that country. The same cannot be said for the word Hun, it is purely used in the context of Rangers FC and widely used by fans of just about every Scottish club, the vast majority of whom have no interest in their petty bloody squabbles.

In my opinion for us and any other clubs fans to allow ourselves to be bullied into accepting that the word is sectarian, far from being a good thing, will be to cave into the very sectarianism we are trying to stamp out. Fans of The Rangers want this term to be viewed as sectarian because they themselves are sectarian and therefor any insult directed towards them must be sectarian ....... To accept such a premise is the road to madness IMO and far from being a force for good in stamping out bigotry it practically allows the bigots to set the agenda and make the rules up as they go along, that simply cannot be allowed.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 12:13 PM
I think you need to revisit your understanding of the word "fenians". :wink:

****...im so wrong. I was led to believe something totally different.
However I think my point is more pognoint.
I am well wrong. Which I think is my point. There fans are brought up believing things that are wrong. The same as I was.
Thanks for that btw..presumption is the mother of all **** ups

CropleyWasGod
13-09-2016, 12:15 PM
****...im so wrong. I was led to believe something totally different.
However I think my point is more pognoint.
I am well wrong. Which I think is my point. There fans are brought up believing things that are wrong. The same as I was.
Thanks for that btw..presumption is the mother of all **** ups

Yeah, it does kind of prove your point.

The Fenians were never religious, and were a political movement. From memory, a couple of the guys who founded them were Protestant.

Not that truth ever got in the way of the nonsense....:greengrin

jacomo
13-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Im not convinced that any concerted and well thought through attempt has been made by anyone to reason with anyone (yet). So far its been mainly passing the buck, name calling, bluff and playing Lily white.

Ignoring them is one course of action, but mocking is just asking for things to get worse.

It would be refreshing to see the leaders of Scottish football, the Press, Fans groups and the clubs, to sit around a table and talk.

It would be refreshing, you are right, but how could it happen?

As I said above, Der Hun propaganda unit is doing nothing whatsoever to dissuade their own fans from bad behaviour, and is instead feeding a sense of grievance by playing the victim card.

Be clear: this is a business decision, started under Chuckie Green and refined by the Lying King. They are deliberately winding up their own fans to deflect from problems in the boardroom.

It is a low and disgraceful strategy. But how could talks help in any way?

The real problem here is that disreputable people are allowed to run Scottish football clubs. The SFA could stop it but they won't.

These liars and charlatans are in it for themselves. They won't listen to reason or pleas to act responsibly.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it does kind of prove your point.

The Fenians were never religious, and were a political movement. From memory, a couple of the guys who founded them were Protestant.

Not that truth ever got in the way of the nonsense....:greengrin

Fair enough mate
..off to stick my face in more history books..I was really sure about that because id been told it...kind of scared what else I think I know us male cows sex organs lol

AndyM_1875
13-09-2016, 12:23 PM
We don't need the government. The SFA and the SPFL are the member clubs. The member clubs can be put under pressure. Start an open campaign to get Hibs to press for strict liability. Get supporters of the other clubs to do the same. Points deductions and ground closures and this will all stop tout de suite!

At the very least it would force Celtic and the New Huns to publicly state why they oppose it. I doubt they can stand in the way of it if there is enough public pressure and that would be the time to get the government to lean on them.

It would of course lay Hibs open to punishment for when our bams step out of line but as long as the rules are clear and well publicised, I think that's a price worth paying, personally.

On BBC Scotland they were talking about Strict Liability last night. No prizes for guessing which 2 clubs are most opposed to it.
As you say, if our bams step out of line we take the hit without complaint.

Rangers have turned into what Celtc were in the pre-Fergus days. Permanently offended, skint and paranoid from the Boardroom to the Terraces. They are so far from being the "establishment club" they used to be now it's laughable. Their culture and traditions are ugly and generally despised by society. They have no friends in Scottish football and nobody is ready to stand up for them in the political world. But they made their bed so they can lie in it.

Hibernia&Alba
13-09-2016, 12:24 PM
When Rangers start a debate about sectarianism and bigotry, they are digging their own grave, which I'm sure the more astute amongst them recognise. So, they'll happily release a statement in which they claim to be victims, but, ask them about introducing strict liability to stop sectarianism, and I think they'll back away. Happy to point the finger, but more reluctant to look in the mirror. They will shortly try to end the debate by claiming they've made their point and that's the end of it. I don't believe they are serious at tackling the issue across the board, with the aim of totally eradicating the sectarian problem. Their statement is a tactical move which lacks sincerity.

The other clubs should now speak up and build momentum for zero tolerance of sectarian behaviour, thereby putting the focus squarely on the Old Firm. Release a joint statement saying we welcome all condemnation of sectarianism and hope Scottish football is now ready to tackle the issue wherever it arises. Don't allow Rangers, of all clubs, to set the agenda on sectarian behaviour.

Onion
13-09-2016, 12:30 PM
I understood the term was coined by a journalist down south after Rangers fans ran amok. He said they resembled Attilla's hordes rampaging across Europe.

That makes sense. I've known them as Huns or Animals since the early 70s due to their vile, brutal, drink-fuelled attacks on innocent Hibs fans before, during and after matches. Zero to do with their religious beliefs and everything to do with their Neanderthal behaviour.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 12:36 PM
That makes sense. I've known them as Huns or Animals since the early 70s due to their vile, brutal, drink-fuelled attacks on innocent Hibs fans before, during and after matches. Zero to do with their religious beliefs and everything to do with their Neanderthal behaviour.

Wish there was a like button

oneone73
13-09-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm Protestant. I'm not a Hun.

Hibernia&Alba
13-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Correct.

lapsedhibee
13-09-2016, 12:51 PM
And as you allude to .... what will be the next word that becomes sectarian ... Sevco?, Zombie?

If I'm not allowed to call them huns any more I won't call them Sevconians or Zombies but stills.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Correct.

Anyway, back to the point.
I'd love to know the way forward. Ive been made to look stupid by a more intelligent person and accept my ignorance and I will and have learned something today, but I cant see Rangers fans excepting their ignorance or mistakes. Ive tried talking to them at work etc and they really believe in their way of thinking. . (Its 17th century btw) ive no idea how to change ideology.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 12:58 PM
If I'm not allowed to call them huns any more I won't call them Sevconians or Zombies but stills.

****ers is available

SouthMoroccoStu
13-09-2016, 01:02 PM

Well said

A protestant is not a hun

but a hun can be a protestant

I'm an atheist but I have been called a fenian bar steward by one of their knuckle dragging supporters on more than one occasion

Do the rangers really want to open this can of worms

Ozymandias
13-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Take a wander through Rangers Media to lose your faith in humanity. Stopping using "Hun" would have zero impact - these people are deeply ingrained in their bigotry and delusion. It needs a zero tolerance approach from society and, probably more importantly the OF themselves to start things going differently. Cant see it happening though.

In amongst a sea of depressing drivel on that forum, the post below somehow makes the worst reading, and feel incredibly sorry for the guys daughter:

Redneckbilly: Where will the next generation of fans come from? From us. My 8 year daughter is already a bluenose through and through. Her favourite item of clothing is her Rangers dressing gown of all things ... why, because she wears the crest! She sings all the songs and we don't give a f*** who doesn't like them. Never forget, WATP! Stay strong and stay with us, your club and your people need you more than ever before.
And for any of the hand wringers here, I was born and raised a proddie, I don't go to Church, I don't have to explain that to anyone. I see other bluenoses and know that they are just like me. My people. So f*** right off with the whole religion and football don,t mix. For me it is a way of life.

Hibernia&Alba
13-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Anyway, back to the point.
I'd love to know the way forward. Ive been made to look stupid by a more intelligent person and accept my ignorance and I will and have learned something today, but I cant see Rangers fans excepting their ignorance or mistakes. Ive tried talking to them at work etc and they really believe in their way of thinking. . (Its 17th century btw) ive no idea how to change ideology.

There is no desire amongst the diehards within the support of the Old Firm to change, so the answer must be severe punishment. UEFA uses strict liability, and I'd go down that route in the domestic game; however, such is the power of the Old Firm, I don't think it will ever happen. We could stop it, if there was the will amongst those who run the game, but I don't think the will exists.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Well said

I'm an atheist but I have been called a fenian bar steward by one of their knuckle dragging supporters on more than one occasion

Should we even care mate?..we are Hibs and shouldn't be dragged down by hypocrisies or religious beliefs. We are just a football club that we all love the same

Kato
13-09-2016, 01:12 PM

The Fenian's weren't a religious organisation they were purely political, formed by prominent protestants in fact.

The Rangers thrive on cans of worms.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 01:15 PM
The Fenian's weren't a religious organisation they were purely political, formed by prominent protestants in fact.

The Rangers thrive on cans of worms.

Yea...been well schooled today lol.
Hibs are a football club, supported by people who love the club...not so much the history

CropleyWasGod
13-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Well said

You can be both an atheist and a Fenian. :wink:

greenteam
13-09-2016, 01:20 PM
You can be both an atheist and a Fenian. :wink:

Just be a Hibs fan...if you believe in anything believe in Hibs. ..sorry im a neo Jibs propagate officer lol....just love your team

BH Hibs
13-09-2016, 01:20 PM
On a point about strict liability does it require 100% approval to be passed. As the old two club veto rule no longer applies, or so I thought.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 01:21 PM
If my predictive text ever does that again im going to bin it...sorry bud

CropleyWasGod
13-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Just be a Hibs fan...if you believe in anything believe in Hibs. ..sorry im a neo Jibs propagate officer lol....just love your team

Why not all 3?

PS you can go back and edit your post if you make typos; I do it all the time :)

Moulin Yarns
13-09-2016, 01:26 PM

So wrong, good stuff comes from stills :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
13-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Whereas Mo Johnston, Neil McCann, Lorenzo Amoruso, Nacho Novo ... all undoubtedly HUNS!

GreenPJ
13-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Perhaps not GreenP ....... but it differs in as much as its a word that can be directly linked to Irish history and the history of the Protestant v Catholic troubles in that country. The same cannot be said for the word Hun, it is purely used in the context of Rangers FC and widely used by fans of just about every Scottish club, the vast majority of whom have no interest in their petty bloody squabbles.

In my opinion for us and any other clubs fans to allow ourselves to be bullied into accepting that the word is sectarian, far from being a good thing, will be to cave into the very sectarianism we are trying to stamp out. Fans of The Rangers want this term to be viewed as sectarian because they themselves are sectarian and therefor any insult directed towards them must be sectarian ....... To accept such a premise is the road to madness IMO and far from being a force for good in stamping out bigotry it practically allows the bigots to set the agenda and make the rules up as they go along, that simply cannot be allowed.

The problem will never be resolved without a bit of take on all sides. IMO madness is where we think that by giving up a (perceived) derogatory reference can fundamentally be a bad thing and giving in. Why can't they just be the Rangers B******'s.

We can't control whether they will give up their derogatory actions and terms but they can't then use the excuse that they are being called huns which they claim is a sectarian reference (whether the person using it means it to be sectarian or not is irrelevant).

southsider
13-09-2016, 01:32 PM
The actions of the current Ibrox board are nothing short of a scandal and to acuse another club of sectarianism whilst painting their own thugs as the victims is really pretty scary. Once the next poor boy takes a tanking, which I regret is going to happen, I wonder what the new ibrox board will say then. "Oh the 12 year old provoked our 40 something fans by wearing a green coat on his way home from school. Something must be done about green coats as the are a disgrace to rangers.We have a proud history of not wearing green coats and that in our culture" Meanwhile the poor wee boy lies in intensive care. SFA are too scared so Nicola do you want to be a proper grown up Government ? Call in King and warn him that unless this sectarian bile stops he will be deported back to SA.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Whereas Mo Johnston, Neil McCann, Lorenzo Amoruso, Nacho Novo ... all undoubtedly HUNS!

I promised id never mention Butcher again....ah
I have too
His explanation of been dragged into it" explained a lot

greenteam
13-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Why not all 3?

PS you can go back and edit your post if you make typos; I do it all the time :)

Definitely doing that lol

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 01:37 PM
The problem will never be resolved without a bit of take on all sides. IMO madness is where we think that by giving up a (perceived) derogatory reference can fundamentally be a bad thing and giving in. Why can't they just be the Rangers B******'s.

We can't control whether they will give up their derogatory actions and terms but they can't then use the excuse that they are being called huns which they claim is a sectarian reference (whether the person using it means it to be sectarian or not is irrelevant).

I think you mean a "bit of give".

The Huns are unlikely to do so.

And you are entirely wrong in the 'irrelevance' stated above. It's entirely relevant that the expression is non-sectarian.
Other than Huns, I think you are the only person I've seen to agree to pander to the ridiculaous notion that the Huns dictate what is or is not sectarian.

However, in a bid to find some agreement I'm happy to confirm that the Huns are indeed The Rangers *******s.

easty
13-09-2016, 01:43 PM

**** that. I'm not interested in any faux apology from that lot. It would sound like an apology, but all it would be is a "look at us, we're changing" front that they'd hide behind.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Why not all 3?

Im just a football fan concerned with the media reports and derogatory comments infiltrated into our media.
I dont believe all Rangers fans are neanderthal knuckle daggers, but I believe their media comments are dangerous, I also believe our media smells blood and are infuriating Rangers fans to the point of causing a major problem. I believe our press see a weakness and provoke a problem. I see bad things

Craig_HFC
13-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Im just a football fan concerned with the media reports and derogatory comments infiltrated into our media.
I dont believe all Rangers fans are neanderthal knuckle daggers, but I believe their media comments are dangerous, I also believe our media smells blood and are infuriating Rangers fans to the point of causing a major problem. I believe our press see a weakness and provoke a problem. I see bad things

Were you in the Sixth Sense?

Kato
13-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Yea...been well schooled today lol.
Hibs are a football club, supported by people who love the club...not so much the history

I love both the club and the history. I see Hibs roots as being a charitable institution that brought succor to thousands in the 12 years that all its' profits went to causes. The Catholic/Irish angle is immaterial, the clubs founders had good will at heart for anyone who needed help - Protestant or Catholic or whoever.

GreenPJ
13-09-2016, 02:03 PM
I think you mean a "bit of give".

The Huns are unlikely to do so.

And you are entirely wrong in the 'irrelevance' stated above. It's entirely relevant that the expression is non-sectarian.
Other than Huns, I think you are the only person I've seen to agree to pander to the ridiculaous notion that the Huns dictate what is or is not sectarian.

However, in a bid to find some agreement I'm happy to confirm that the Huns are indeed The Rangers *******s.

When I was young I frequently used terms referring to local corner shops or school mates of Italian origin that are now deemed as unacceptable and racist. I never once meant them in the context of being racist or even realised them as being derogatory, indeed the one referring to the local shop I saw as being a shortened version of the country Pakistan. I still never once meant them as racist or derogatory however I won't use them now as I recognise that people took offence at them.

The world moves on and I think we can find more generic insults to trade without waving the white flag.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 02:04 PM
I love both the club and the history. I see Hibs roots as being a charitable institution that brought succor to thousands in the 12 years that all its' profits went to causes. The Catholic/Irish angle is immaterial, the clubs founders had good will at heart for anyone who needed help - Protestant or Catholic or whoever.

Agree 100% mate..it was a feel good factor for deprived Catholics and people in Leith at the time...

hibbytam
13-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Were you in the Sixth Sense?

I see dead football teams. Walking around like regular clubs. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 02:10 PM
When I was young I frequently used terms referring to local corner shops or school mates of Italian origin that are now deemed as unacceptable and racist. I never once meant them in the context of being racist or even realised them as being derogatory, indeed the one referring to the local shop I saw as being a shortened version of the country Pakistan. I still never once meant them as racist or derogatory however I won't use them now as I recognise that people took offence at them.

The world moves on and I think we can find more generic insults to trade without waving the white flag.

I still call my fav shop the paki shop...i use it everyday and only call it the paki shop because its shorter to say...Liverpudlien
.scouser
.Birmingham. .brummie etc...only idiots class that as racist or people who hace no degree of communication with them...jeez. its all about shortening a sentence. ..or am I wrong?

Peevemor
13-09-2016, 02:11 PM
I still call my fav shop the paki shop...i use it everyday and only call it the paki shop because its shorter to say...Liverpudlien
.scouser
.Birmingham. .brummie etc...only idiots class that as racist or people who hace no degree of communication with them...jeez. its all about shortening a sentence. ..or am I wrong?

3254657416534764543543433244543231554 pages!

hibsbollah
13-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Has anyone noticed Scotland and Serbia is in the same place from a football perspective?

Fans angry about one club having extraordinary influence over football governance and suspicions of corruption. Media based in one geographical area complicit in this situation. Festering sectarianism under the surface.

All we're missing is open sectarian warfare. Maybe that's next :dunno:

Craig_HFC
13-09-2016, 02:15 PM
.scouser

You're definitely wrong if the people who work in/own the shop aren't from Pakistan.

The other reasons are a whole different debate though.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 02:22 PM
You're definitely wrong if the people who work in/own the shop aren't from Pakistan.

The other reasons are a whole different debate though.

They accept its for the reasons I stated..they understand its just a shortening of a big word lol...if I thought it insulted them, of course I wouldn't use it. However every Scottish person was jock etc...I know the difference between Indian and Pakistan if thats what you meant. .thats worse than Scotland England lol

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 02:25 PM

I think you are missing my point.
The terms you are referring to – I won’t quote them we both know what they are – are nowadays accepted as being unacceptable. Not just by Eyeties or Pakis but by society as a whole.*
The Huns on the other hand, are the only peepul in the entire world who say Hun is sectarian.
It’s not.
Your argument (I gather) is that we shouldn’t use Hun as the Huns took offence, yet you are happy to call them Rangers *******s. Presumably if they don’t like that, you’ll have to ditch that one too.
Can you suggest a generic insult that we can use that they won’t take offence to?

Athough it sort of takes away from the whole point of insulting them.

* Too far?

greenteam
13-09-2016, 02:32 PM
They accept its for the reasons I stated..they understand its just a shortening of a big word lol...if I thought it insulted them, of course I wouldn't use it. However every Scottish person was jock etc...I know the difference between Indian and Pakistan if thats what you meant. .thats worse than Scotland England lol

Funny story. .or was at the time. .I got in a fight with a German guy in the 80s and the bar was called the "gravel pit". The owner was called chalky an Ibdian bloke that to this day is my one of my best friends. He told me to get out his pup and called me English, I knew he was Indian and called him a Pakistan idiot.....I have never seen anyone go so radge ever lol...anyway after 10 mins of dodging punches I still am his best mate.
Anyway. ..point....shortening a country or city's name doesn't make you racist

BonnieFitbaTeam
13-09-2016, 02:34 PM

They can, and they are !

Time For Heroes
13-09-2016, 02:37 PM
.scouser

yeah you're wrong.
Call a shop a paki shop is racist in my opinion.
The difference is there term "paki" is offensive but also a lot of them aren't even from Pakistan so its not shorting it, its just incorrect.

Time For Heroes
13-09-2016, 02:39 PM
*Edit.
Not in anyway am I calling anyone who uses that term a racist, i do think its a generation thing too.

GreenPJ
13-09-2016, 02:41 PM
The terms you are referring to – I won’t quote them we both know what they are – are nowadays accepted as being unacceptable. Not just by Eyeties or Pakis but by society as a whole.*
The Huns on the other hand, are the only peepul in the entire world who say Hun is sectarian.
It’s not.
Your argument (I gather) is that we shouldn’t use Hun as the Huns took offence, yet you are happy to call them Rangers *******s. Presumably if they don’t like that, you’ll have to ditch that one too.
Can you suggest a generic insult that we can use that they won’t take offence to?

* Too far?
So we agree that Hun is a derogatory term? - what does it mean to you? Is it just another name for Rangers?

As for calling them Rangers B's then the same way I would call Jambo B's or Celtic B's, I am making no distinction between them.

NAE NOOKIE
13-09-2016, 02:43 PM

The words you are referring to though had the affect, even if unintentionally, of denigrating a whole nation of people and in that light its easy to see why they were offended by it and why eventually the words were recognised as racist. In the case of the word 'Hun' this is clearly not the case, there is no evidence whatsoever that the term is or has ever been used to describe protestants in general, or Irish protestants in particular.

The term as I understand it ( as 99% of football fans understand it ) is used in a football context to refer 'only' to supporters of Rangers and the fact that a huge number of them attach a religious slant to the club they follow and have strived for decades to make being a supporter of the club indivisible with sympathy for the Ulster protestant cause and the worst excesses of Ulster protestant 'culture' is their problem, not everybody elses.

The use of the word 'Hun' as a derogatory term for them is because they are Rangers, with all the arrogance and self importance that goes with that, and because of the shocking behaviour of their supporters over the decades, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the clubs sectarian protestant culture .... they can take offence at it all they want, its 'supposed' to be offensive, that's the point of it ... but the fact that its offensive to them does not make the term sectarian, if it does then the inescapable logic of such an attitude is that EVERY word used against them with the aim of being offensive must be, or will become, sectarian.

That is a ridiculous notion, but that is the inescapable end game if we allow them to dictate the terms of what is and isn't acceptable .... they are bigots, does that mean we should allow them to turn the rest of us into bigots just because we have a nice handy little word that sums them up nicely.

Craig_HFC
13-09-2016, 02:48 PM
So we agree that Hun is a derogatory term? - what does it mean to you? Is it just another name for Rangers?

As for calling them Rangers B's then the same way I would call Jambo B's or Celtic B's, I am making no distinction between them.

Hun = Rangers (1872-2012) & Sevco supporter.

Hibrandenburg
13-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Quite simply full liability has to be accepted by clubs for this to be eradicated.

GreenPJ
13-09-2016, 02:54 PM
The words you are referring to though had the affect, even if unintentionally, of denigrating a whole nation of people and in that light its easy to see why they were offended by it and why eventually the words were recognised as racist. In the case of the word 'Hun' this is clearly not the case, there is no evidence whatsoever that the term is or has ever been used to describe protestants in general, or Irish protestants in particular.

The term as I understand it ( as 99% of football fans understand it ) is used in a football context to refer 'only' to supporters of Rangers and the fact that a huge number of them attach a religious slant to the club they follow and have strived for decades to make being a supporter of the club indivisible with sympathy for the Ulster protestant cause and the worst excesses of Ulster protestant 'culture' is their problem, not everybody elses.

The use of the word 'Hun' as a derogatory term for them is because they are Rangers, with all the arrogance and self importance that goes with that, and because of the shocking behaviour of their supporters over the decades, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the clubs sectarian protestant culture .... they can take offence at it all they want, its 'supposed' to be offensive, that's the point of it ... but the fact that its offensive to them does not make the term sectarian, if it does then the inescapable logic of such an attitude is that EVERY word used against them with the aim of being offensive must be, or will become, sectarian.

That is a ridiculous notion, but that is the inescapable end game if we allow them to dictate the terms of what is and isn't acceptable .... they are bigots, does that mean we should allow them to turn the rest of us into bigots just because we have a nice handy little word that sums them up nicely.

So in the highly unlikely event that Rangers and their supporters stop their sectarian bile would the word Hun then no longer be appropriate based on your definition above?

greenteam
13-09-2016, 02:55 PM
yeah you're wrong.
Call a shop a paki shop is racist in my opinion.
The difference is there term "paki" is offensive but also a lot of them aren't even from Pakistan so its not shorting it, its just incorrect.

No mate I'm right. The only way its racist is because people make it racist
.its silly..I can call a Newcastle person a Gorgie and a welshman a Taff and that's accepted. ..ffs. if they want to be an integral part of our society then of course they are going to get nick names..thats our problem. We all think we are being racist, when infact we are making them feel more outsiders by not being sarcastic and cautious
..my plan. Slag them off like you would a sheep ****ger....oh wait
..thats not allowed

greiggy

Not sure if it was commonplace but in the song "Foggy Dew" one line goes "and brittania's huns with their long range guns sailed in through the foggy dew". That was a song written after the Easter Rebellion by an Irish priest so maybe there is some connection. Regardless, however, the level of false indignation on the part of The Rangers management and fans is mind boggling. After years of saying "no one likes us" suddenly they do care. Poor wee souls!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreenPJ
Hun = Rangers (1872-2012) & Sevco supporter.

So why not just call them Sevco, that's their formal name and winds them up even more so than hun I am sure.

Craig_HFC
13-09-2016, 02:56 PM
So in the highly unlikely event that Rangers and their supporters stop their sectarian bile would the word Hun then no longer be appropriate based on your definition above?

The word Hun will always be appropriate to describe those cretins because it's got **** all to do with religion/bigotry/sectarianism.

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 02:57 PM

Hun is indeed another name for them.

It's not a name for Protestants, as the Huns claim and presumably you agree?

And I certainly WOULD make a distinction between the Huns and other football teams. Even the Smellies* and the Gunts*.

Is it OK to use these* names?

:confused:

Hibrandenburg

The term "Hun" in Scottish football is solely a term for the followers of Rangers, Glasgow Rangers, Sevco, or any other mutation of that dirty establishment. When we call the Hearts "mini Huns" we mean they're a smaller version of their Glasgow compatriots, we don't mean that they're vertically challenged protestants do we?

Craig_HFC
So why not just call them Sevco, that's their formal name and winds them up even more so than hun I am sure.

I prefer to call them 'Sevco Huns'.

Best of both worlds.

Moulin Yarns
13-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Not sure if it was commonplace but in the song "Foggy Dew" one line goes "and brittania's huns with their long range guns sailed in through the foggy dew". That was a song written after the Easter Rebellion by an Irish priest so maybe there is some connection. Regardless, however, the level of false indignation on the part of The Rangers management and fans is mind boggling. After years of saying "no one likes us" suddenly they do care. Poor wee souls!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The term hun became a slang derogatory term for the German army in 1900 to indicate ' the enemy' it was continued in the second world war. It looks like the use of hun to signify the enemy is used in the same context here.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 03:12 PM
The term "Hun" in Scottish football is solely a term for the followers of Rangers, Glasgow Rangers, Sevco, or any other mutation of that dirty establishment. When we call the Hearts "mini Huns" we mean they're a smaller version of their Glasgow compatriots, we don't mean that they're vertically challenged protestants do we?

I don't even put Hearts in the the same category or sentence as Rangers fans different kettle of fish..Even Hearts fans dont deserve to be tarnished by that secretarian brush..Hearts fans deserve one-up-man ship comments, but I refuse to believe they are anywhere near Rangers In that category. ..never thought I'd stick for hertz lol

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2016, 03:15 PM

Nil By Mouth are a pathetic, craven joke of an organisation. By equating the term 'hun' with 'protestant' they are accepting the lazy, weedgie sectarian premise of Scottish football - that 'protestants' support Rangers and 'Catholics' support Celtic. And if only they can all be nice to each other then all will be good. They therefore want what those clubs want - to continue the sectarian basis as a reason for supporting a team, but it make it a lite, friendly version, nodding to tradition.

The truth is that so many fans come from no sectarian tradition, are attracted to those clubs for glory hunting purposes, then embrace the sectarian stuff to fit in with clowns.

Organisations like NBM should have the balls to challenge sectarianism, not perpetuate it by redesignating language, based around the paranoid persecution fantasies of lunatics.

JimBHibees
13-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Nil By Mouth are a pathetic, craven joke of an organisation. By equating the term 'hun' with 'protestant' they are accepting the lazy, weedgie sectarian premise of Scottish football - that 'protestants' support Rangers and 'Catholics' support Celtic. And if only they can all be nice to each other then all will be good. They therefore want what those clubs want - to continue the sectarian basis as a reason for supporting a team, but it make it a lite, friendly version, nodding to tradition.

The truth is that so many fans come from no sectarian tradition, are attracted to those clubs for glory hunting purposes, then embrace the sectarian stuff to fit in with clowns.

Organisations like NBM should have the balls to challenge sectarianism, not perpetuate it by redesignating language, based around the paranoid persecution fantasies of lunatics.

Fantastic post.

Onceinawhile
13-09-2016, 03:19 PM
.scouser

It's even quicker to call it the shop.

Hibrandenburg
13-09-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't even put Hearts in the the same category or sentence as Rangers fans different kettle of fish..Even Hearts fans dont deserve to be tarnished by that secretarian brush..Hearts fans deserve one-up-man ship comments, but I refuse to believe they are anywhere near Rangers In that category. ..never thought I'd stick for hertz lol

No, but when the occasional sectarian pish is seen at Tynecastle we have been known to describe this as being mini Hun behaviour. Now if Hun was a term for protestants or even just sectarian protestants we would simply call them Huns and not mini Huns. The mini suggests that when they behave that way they are behaving like Rangers on a smaller scale.

Onion
13-09-2016, 03:32 PM
The word Hun will always be appropriate to describe those cretins because it's got **** all to do with religion/bigotry/sectarianism.

:top marks There's a reason the term "Huns" was interchangeable with the term "Animals" to describe the fans and players of Rangers FC (pre-2012) - they mean the same thing ! These were the names used to describe the Rangers players and teams of the 1970s (John Greg et al) and their drunken, degenerate fans for good reason. The Huns then were unique in Scottish football and remain so.

Sevco bought the history and all that goes with it. Their pathetic efforts to offload the bits they don't like (under the guise of sectarianism) is as disgusting as the way they walked away from their financial obligations. Horrendous, Hunnish club.

NAE NOOKIE
13-09-2016, 03:32 PM

He shoots, he scores http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

greenteam
13-09-2016, 03:34 PM
No, but when the occasional sectarian pish is seen at Tynecastle we have been known to describe this as being mini Hun behaviour. Now if Hun was a term for protestants or even just sectarian protestants we would simply call them Huns and not mini Huns. The mini suggests that when they behave that way they are behaving like Rangers on a smaller scale.

Ok understand. .never seen it and hope I never do

NAE NOOKIE
13-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Good question

The answer

EastCalderHibby
13-09-2016, 03:40 PM
That's a good idea.

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:faf: 100%

GreenPJ
13-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Hun is indeed another name for them.

It's not a name for Protestants, as the Huns claim and presumably you agree?

And I certainly WOULD make a distinction between the Huns and other football teams. Even the Smellies* and the Gunts*.

Is it OK to use these* names?

:confused:

I think it allows Rangers fans to suggest its sectarian and therefore allows them to perpetuate that image (untrue or not). Also do you genuinely believe that Celtic fans in their use of the term don't associate sectarianism with it?

Personally I think its not a battle worth fighting to retain a phrase if it would then allow the clubs/governing body to turn around and make progress in addressing what is the underlying problem of sectarianism and the growing problem of genuine hatred between Rangers and other clubs which at some point if it goes unaddressed is going to lead to some being seriously injured or killed.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Ok understand. .never seen it and hope I never do

Anti hibs songs etc, but ive not heard anti Catholic songs since tge 80s...could and am probably wrong though

Bostonhibby
13-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Since they huffed and puffed a bit then ultimately walked away from the now defunct Glasgow rangers I prefer to use terms that flow from the walking away event, sevco was one they chose and The huns, or the the huns seems right for the times.

When I first heard the term decades ago it was always used on the basis that their supporters invaded cities and treated them in the same way as German (hun) soldiers did and Atilla before them!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

EastCalderHibby
13-09-2016, 04:06 PM
It’s not.

* Too far?
can we just call them jaffas then

greenteam
13-09-2016, 04:06 PM
In view of last week's actions maybe we should start calling them Vandals?

Same kinda German tribe lol

greenteam
13-09-2016, 04:07 PM
can we just call them jaffas then

Jaffas....I like that

greenteam
13-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Has anyone noticed Scotland and Serbia is in the same place from a football perspective?

Fans angry about one club having extraordinary influence over football governance and suspicions of corruption. Media based in one geographical area complicit in this situation. Festering sectarianism under the surface.

All we're missing is open sectarian warfare. Maybe that's next :dunno:

Please don't ever compare Scotland to Serbia

JeMeSouviens
13-09-2016, 04:10 PM
.its silly..I can call a Newcastle person a Gorgie and a welshman a Taff and that's accepted. ..ffs. if they want to be an integral part of our society then of course they are going to get nick names..thats our problem. We all think we are being racist, when infact we are making them feel more outsiders by not being sarcastic and cautious
..thats not allowed

True, but in the case of the p-word, it has well and truly been made racist by lots and lots of people using it in a racist way. You can't make it un-racist just because your intent isn't racist.

The meaning of words is defined by their usage.

Nameless
13-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Warburton is at it now, making incendiary statements to the press. Suggesting that some of the things written about the Huns are "poisonous", and he will "make them eat their words". What a sinister little hun he has turned out to be.

Ozyhibby
13-09-2016, 04:25 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160913/bcab7dab3d828ab409dfbe7443a8d494.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160913/6cc73faac0a92d987dd30e204f7dd63b.jpg

Wee Effen Bee
13-09-2016, 04:31 PM
..thats not allowed

Sorry brother, but you are hopelessly and totally wrong. :agree: Geordie is an acceptable contraction/nick-name for Newcastletons. 'People' didn't just decide one day that using the generic term Paki, for people from the Indian continent, is racist, just as 'they' didn't wake up one morning and decide jungle bunny was racist (remember Love Thy Neighbour and Alf Garnet?). It always has been! People used it (and some like yourself, still use it) until it was challenged and ignorant people (including me) become aware that it was geographically and culturally wrong. Come in to my school and the P3s will give you a lesson on values and respect - their mantra is: don't call anyone a name unless they invite you to use it or if they introduce themselves that way. I'll send you a ladder so you can climb out of that huge hole you're continually digging for yourself :greengrin

Kaiser1962
13-09-2016, 04:40 PM
The term hun became a slang derogatory term for the German army in 1900 to indicate ' the enemy' it was continued in the second world war. It looks like the use of hun to signify the enemy is used in the same context here.

As far as I am aware the term Hun was first used to describe supporters of Rangers FC (Died 2012) by the Wolverhampton press following serious disorder at a Cup winners Cup semi final. Unlike New Rangers there was trouble despite Rangers winning. There was also serious violence at the first leg of the final at Ibrox when Oldco lost 2-1 to Fiorentina.

'coming across the border like marauding huns'.

Wee Effen Bee
13-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Sorry Gt, I should also have said, I am totally at one with you being gobsmacked. If I drank coffee and had a dog, I would have given it a hot shower while reading their outburst too...not the Raith's manager golden type may I add (allegedly). I could spray orange juice over Ms Effen Bee's cat though. They obviously don't do irony as others have said. When Ricky Gervaise was debating with a theist and talking about an afterlife, he said, being dead is a bit like being stupid - you don't know you are but others do. I thought he was talking directly about the The Rangers hierarchy.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
13-09-2016, 04:47 PM
I think it allows Rangers fans to suggest its sectarian and therefore allows them to perpetuate that image (untrue or not). Also do you genuinely believe that Celtic fans in their use of the term don't associate sectarianism with it?

Personally I think its not a battle worth fighting to retain a phrase if it would then allow the clubs/governing body to turn around and make progress in addressing what is the underlying problem of sectarianism and the growing problem of genuine hatred between Rangers and other clubs which at some point if it goes unaddressed is going to lead to some being seriously injured or killed.

Sorry mate, but that ship sailed years ago, folk are already being injured and killed. As has been pointed out by other posters on this thread and on a load of other threads on this subject, if we bin 'Hun' it will get replaced with something else and the Sevco fans will apply the same logic to the new word as the one it has replaced and add it to all the other things they find to get offended by .... it will make no difference whatsoever.
Have a look at any one of their fans forums, they are revelling in playing the victim, every second post vilifies the MSM and SFA for not taking their side and all the while, instead of trying to pour oil on troubled waters, their club fans the flames with every utterance. They have absolutely no concept of why every non Old Firm fan in Scotland is laughing at the irony of the current situation. That is what we are dealing with, there is none so blind as those who will not see and nobody personifies that saying more than your average currant bun.

If you want to hold up a barometer to the attitudes of both sides of the Old Firm just look at the situation the Celtic fans embracing the Palestinian cause has created, the next thing we see is Israeli flags being flown by the The Rangers support, even though half of them probably have no concept of middle eastern politics. I guarantee you that if the situation was reversed Celtic Park would look like national flag day in down town Tel Aviv. That is the real problem here, they will always find new ways to hate each other and anything we do, or don't do, will not change that situation one iota.

At the end of the day the whole what is and what isn't offensive debate is a red Herring .... both of these clubs will always find reasons to be offended and play the victim card to its absolute limit. I'm not going to pretend for a second that I have the magic solution to the problem, but I am positive that pandering to Sevco is not it, because rather than take it as an Olive branch they will look upon it as a victory for 'the peepul' and see it as cart blanche to ramp up their bigoted sectarian crap even further.

I mean, c'mon ..... after decades of an enshrined policy that made a Catholic signing for Rangers as likely as Martin Luther King becoming Grand Wizard of the KKK they signed Maurice Johnson, who was quickly followed by a host of other obviously Catholic players. If there was ever a chance for Rangers and Celtic to bury the sectarian hatchet that was it. Where did that lead, absolutely nowhere, as far as the Celtic support were concerned Johnson was a dirty little traitor and he was only treated like a hero by the Huns because they knew it pissed off the Celtic fans.

Reasoning with these people would be a waste of time as far as I can see and the only solution at this point is to have a firm policy of strict liability regarding any overtly sectarian crap emanating from either clubs supporters.

Time For Heroes
13-09-2016, 04:49 PM
Sorry brother, but you are hopelessly and totally wrong. :agree: Geordie is an acceptable constriction/nick-name for Newcastletons. 'People' didn't just decide one day that using the generic term Paki, for people from the Indian continent, is racist, just as 'they' didn't wake up one morning and decide jungle bunny was racist (remember Love Thy Neighbour and Alf Garnet?). It always has been! People used it (and some like yourself, still use it) until it was challenged and ignorant people (including me) become aware that it was geographically and culturally wrong. Come in to my school and the P3s will give you a lesson on values and respect - their mantra is: don't call anyone a name unless they invite you to use it or if they introduce themselves that way. I'll send you a ladder so you can climb out of that huge hole you're continually digging for yourself :greengrin

Said it all for me. Cheers

Time For Heroes
13-09-2016, 04:52 PM
..thats not allowed
"they" makes it racist btw :greengrin

Wee Effen Bee
13-09-2016, 05:08 PM
"they" makes it racist btw :greengrin
See these, 'they' people! 'They' said Brexit would never happen...and 'they' said the world was going to end a couple of years ago. They have got a lot to answer for.

jacomo
13-09-2016, 05:11 PM

The term is not the point. Use any word you like as a nickname for a supporter of that club and it will be branded sectarian.

That is where they are.

ancient hibee
13-09-2016, 06:22 PM
When I read the paper this morning and saw this rubbish I checked in case it was April 1st.No it's for real.What I find chilling is that a lot of the Huns think that their songbook is just traditional banter.One side is as bad as the other.When I was young and first saw them pouring off the buses I thought they were like sub humans from another planet.It might be peeing with rain but they wouldn't have a coat between them.The buses would be awash and they would be stuffing bottles into their jacket pockets.We would try and collect the empties.

Sir David Gray
13-09-2016, 06:27 PM

Me too. I've also never been referred to as a "hun" in my entire life.

A "hun" is a follower of Sevco FC, regardless of which religion or background they come from.

Deansy
13-09-2016, 06:57 PM

My Grand-dad told me the exact same story !. It was just after the end of WW1 and the Hun-support was **** even then (as it is now) and it was the press amazingly enough - considering the cowering, snivelling, bent, biased-filth they are today - that fIrst called them the 'Huns' due to the similarities drawn between them and the Germans at the start of WW1 - everywhere they went they just rampaged, creating carnage, destruction, vandalism, atrocities etc, etc just for the simple sake of doing it - it was their nature then as it is today !. AND - the entire country was also united in it's loathing, despisal and hatred of Rangers !

This suggestion that we stop calling them 'Huns' is ludicrous !. Doing that would be like agreeing with the moron-Hun who created this absurd petition - and I will NEVER agree with any Hun as, by and large, the vast majority of them ARE just purely sectarian-morons and to agree with that type is just totally pointless - not forgetting embarrassing. They ARE Huns, always have been and always will be - over decades they've worked hard for that title and loathing and I can't honestly see them giving that up easily as deep down, they truly do not care what others think of them as they truly believe that they are 'ra peepil' !!

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 07:04 PM
.scouser

It's not up to you to decide what's offensive. 'Paki' is seen as a derogatory term - it is not used as a shortening of 'Pakistani'. Using an offensive term because you can't be arsed using an extra 2 syllables. Or, you know, you could just call it 'the shop'?

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 07:08 PM
..thats not allowed

What am I reading? There's no real reason to highlight ethnic differences. How about simply calling them 'people' instead of 'pakis'? Jeezo.

Cropley10
13-09-2016, 07:14 PM
As I said on the other thread, I find it quite unbelievable that Sevco have chosen to go down this route. There always seemed to be an unwritten rule understood by both Old Firm clubs that they would never take each other to task over sectarianism at an official level for the very good reason that its a can of worms that would benefit neither club if it was opened. They were happy to watch hypocrisy ooze from both sets of fans on the subject, but very wisely never got involved by commenting on it.

If you ask me what Sevco have done here could actually signal the birth pains of the end of the Old Firm making money on the back of the sectarian gravy train. Celtic can see it and that's why they have refused to get drawn into a war of words with the The Rangers board, because they know that if a public argument develops between the actual clubs over who is more sectarian the MSM, who up until now have been able to keep both sets of fans on board by rarely if ever seriously criticising either club over sectarianism, will have no option but to take a neutral stance.
The only form that could possibly take is for them to grow some baws act like proper journalists and finally get their teeth into both clubs over the issue, because to take a side in the whitabootery would be economic suicide for the national newspapers in particular, but to ignore the issue would be just as damaging and would rip away any last vestiges of credibility they have left.

Then there's the SFA and SPFL ........ Even UEFA have stepped in at one point and Punished the old Rangers for anti Catholic bigotry at an away European tie, but the SFA / SPFL have never, not even once, threatened either side of the Old Firm with sanctions or any punishment whatsoever for the sectarianism that pervades their support every Saturday. This current situation, if it were to escalate, would back the blazers into a corner and in order to avoid looking even more weak and inept than they already do, if that were possible, they would have no choice but to introduce strict liability to every competition.

Their biggest challenge will be to form a definition as to what constitutes bigoted behaviour ... with Sevco that's not too difficult to do because their songs and chants contain an element of anti Catholic bigotry that's easy to define. With Celtic that's not quite so easy, a song like 'the fields of Athenry' cannot of itself be seen as inti Protestant or bigoted, because it is clearly a song that condemns persecution, not a song that encourages or perpetuates it. But any song or chant referencing the IRA is a sitting duck.

Then there's the thorny subject of the word 'Hun' ...... Does a word become sectarian because the people its aimed at are themselves sectarian? Does that then mean that the words 'Sevco' and 'Zombie' are now also sectarian? What's just an insult and what's a sectarian insult?

If I was Peter Lawwell at this juncture I would be on the phone to Ibrox asking for a very, very secret sit down with the Sevco board in a last ditch attempt to explain to them why what they have done could very easily derail the gravy train they have both been riding on for nearly a century .... even when Rangers were being run by people who were openly anti Catholic they were never stupid enough to make an issue of what the other side did, if the current incumbents at Ibrox cant see why that was then they are truly the stupidest people on the planet ...... their first move should be to sack Jim Traynor, of all the people involved at that club he should have been the one to recognise the stupidity of the move they have just made.

Fantastic post.

Of course Traynor was the author of various statements explaining the death of the former Club.

http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/the-truth-hurts/

I'm probably wrong but his has all the feel of TRFC circling the drain.

What I still find unbelievable is the fact that King is legally prevented from spending his money outside of SA, and if he (still) has money outside SA he's in deep $$$$. Even if wanted to, he is prevented from investing in RIFC. And yet...

Sit back, and watch the implosion.

majorhibs
13-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Sorry mate, but that ship sailed years ago, folk are already being injured and killed. As has been pointed out by other posters on this thread and on a load of other threads on this subject, if we bin 'Hun' it will get replaced with something else and the Sevco fans will apply the same logic to the new word as the one it has replaced and add it to all the other things they find to get offended by .... it will make no difference whatsoever.
Have a look at any one of their fans forums, they are revelling in playing the victim, every second post vilifies the MSM and SFA for not taking their side and all the while, instead of trying to pour oil on troubled waters, their club fans the flames with every utterance. They have absolutely no concept of why every non Old Firm fan in Scotland is laughing at the irony of the current situation. That is what we are dealing with, there is none so blind as those who will not see and nobody personifies that saying more than your average currant bun.

If you want to hold up a barometer to the attitudes of both sides of the Old Firm just look at the situation the Celtic fans embracing the Palestinian cause has created, the next thing we see is Israeli flags being flown by the The Rangers support, even though half of them probably have no concept of middle eastern politics. I guarantee you that if the situation was reversed Celtic Park would look like national flag day in down town Tel Aviv. That is the real problem here, they will always find new ways to hate each other and anything we do, or don't do, will not change that situation one iota.

At the end of the day the whole what is and what isn't offensive debate is a red Herring .... both of these clubs will always find reasons to be offended and play the victim card to its absolute limit. I'm not going to pretend for a second that I have the magic solution to the problem, but I am positive that pandering to Sevco is not it, because rather than take it as an Olive branch they will look upon it as a victory for 'the peepul' and see it as cart blanche to ramp up their bigoted sectarian crap even further.

I mean, c'mon ..... after decades of an enshrined policy that made a Catholic signing for Rangers as likely as Martin Luther King becoming Grand Wizard of the KKK they signed Maurice Johnson, who was quickly followed by a host of other obviously Catholic players. If there was ever a chance for Rangers and Celtic to bury the sectarian hatchet that was it. Where did that lead, absolutely nowhere, as far as the Celtic support were concerned Johnson was a dirty little traitor and he was only treated like a hero by the Huns because they knew it pissed off the Celtic fans.

Reasoning with these people would be a waste of time as far as I can see and the only solution at this point is to have a firm policy of strict liability regarding any overtly sectarian crap emanating from either clubs supporters.

Mind Johnson, who acted like an idiot wi his 2 hun minders when up town, had to stay here cos weedge was way too dangerous for him. Also mind, huns at the time, wi league tables, excluding their 1st catholics goals, as being the "league" they adhered to, cos I do. Over years o wee ignorant johnson being, cos he had, his minders, being so very, very thick skinned, they eventually, (the huns) if not like him, started to appreciate his goals & his resilience. Only credit I will give to a trolling wee weedge halfwit who chatted up others girlfriends just for a result, then left his 2 Murray paid employees to sort the mess, is that loads of barriers were crashed down, mailnly from souness & the wee glesgae playboy in Edinburghs resilience. NOT because disgusting huns were ready for "change" which they were NOT, but because the wee weedgie pest who openly admitted to anyone who asked why he did it, rubbed his thumb & forefinger thegether wi only a look a hun wi minders could perfect. But, too others like Hibbies, watchin the civil war was a serious source of fun. Shows what they were. Mair importantly, I witnessed all of that & imo they are as bad now if not worse, than then. Recent events & stirring is putting them there.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2016, 08:00 PM
..thats not allowed

I used to say that about the paki shop, i don't now. I still say i fancy a chinki or i'm going for a chinki but i think that is ok, just as going for an indian is.

Nobody says they are going to asda and say they are going to the english store, there is no need to say you are going to the paki shop, just say you are going to the shop.

I understand it is difficult to get out of those old habits, but some things have changed with time and that is one of them i suppose.

Iggy Pope
13-09-2016, 08:12 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160913/bcab7dab3d828ab409dfbe7443a8d494.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160913/6cc73faac0a92d987dd30e204f7dd63b.jpg

Succinct.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 08:17 PM
I used to say that about the paki shop, i don't now. I still say i fancy a chinki or i'm going for a chinki but i think that is ok, just as going for an indian is.

Nobody says they are going to asda and say they are going to the english store, there is no need to say you are going to the paki shop, just say you are going to the shop.

I understand it is difficult to get out of those old habits, but some things have changed with time and that is one of them i suppose.

You do realise you are doing exactly the same thing as the quoted poster by using the term 'chinky'?

FitbaFolkKen
13-09-2016, 08:21 PM

i think you need to move on too as Chinki is clearly a racial slur whether you are using it in that context or not.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2016, 08:25 PM
You do realise you are doing exactly the same thing as the quoted poster by using the term 'chinky'?

i think you need to move on too as Chinki is clearly a racial slur whether you are using it in that context or not.

Am i though, have you ever heard someone called a chinki in a derogatory way, i've not?

I have heard the word paki used in a bad way but never chinki, in fact the only time i ever use chinki or chinese is when i want their food.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Am i though, have you ever heard someone called a chinki in a derogatory way, i've not?

I have heard the word paki used in a bad way but never chinki, in fact the only time i ever use chinki or chinese is when i want their food.

I've heard 'chinky' used as a racial slur. Not commonly, however 'chink', which it is derived from, wasn't an uncommon term in the past.

If you were in a room of Chinese people, would you be happy to use the term 'chinky food' to describe their cuisine?

FitbaFolkKen
13-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Absolutely, Chinese is a very different word from Chinki, just like Pakistan and Paki.

However I note your point about moving with times as -

"in a document commissioned by OFCOM titled "Language and Sexual Imagery in Broadcasting: A Contextual Investigation" their definition of Chink was "... a term of racial offence/abuse. However, this is polarising. Older and mainly white groups tend to think this is not usually used in an abusive way—e.g., let's go to the Chinky—which is not seen as offensive; younger groups and those from ethnic minorities feel this could be as insulting as 'paki' or '******'."

Clear that different age ranges and ethnicities affects whether you think the term is offensive or not.

Scott Allan Key
13-09-2016, 08:41 PM
See these, 'they' people! 'They' said Brexit would never happen...and 'they' said the world was going to end a couple of years ago. They have got a lot to answer for.

But who are 'they'? Gora? The Welsh?

Glory Lurker
13-09-2016, 08:42 PM
This is getting like Life On Mars!

Scott Allan Key
13-09-2016, 08:55 PM

I've heard 'Chinky!' being screamed at my friend by a mini-bus of ****holes (apologies to all) down Polwarth. It was in eighties but I don't think the intent to be so unwelcoming has deserted a large sector of Scotland's population. People always want responsibility for their own failings to fall on those unconnected. Why do I care? I'm just a new-fangled Hibee glory-hunter.

Wee Effen Bee
13-09-2016, 09:01 PM
This is getting like Life On Mars!

Ah, the quality of racist prime time tv. I remember the white neighbour absolutely ripping everything about the black couple next door in every episode - unwashed, cannibals, savages, heathens and culturally and academically backward. BUT, the black husband would call the guy a honky or a snowflake just once at the end of the show and then everything would be deemed fair and square...well the darkie did call our upstanding working class hero a bad name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

givescotlandfreedom
13-09-2016, 09:08 PM

Correct, lazy weegie nonsense tarring everyone with the same brush. They accuse Hibs fans of singing sectarian songs too which only goes to show their own ignorance they should be combating.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I've heard 'chinky' used as a racial slur. Not commonly, however 'chink', which it is derived from, wasn't an uncommon term in the past.

If you were in a room of Chinese people, would you be happy to use the term 'chinky food' to describe their cuisine?

I have not heard any words used to racially slur chinese people, maybe because i generally don't come into contact with any of them other than in their restaurants.

You make a good point about using the word in a room full of chinese, and my answer is if it was an insult to them then i wouldnt.

Yet when i'm saying i fancy a chinky, in no way do i believe i'm racially abusing them?

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Absolutely, Chinese is a very different word from Chinki, just like Pakistan and Paki.

However I note your point about moving with times as -

"in a document commissioned by OFCOM titled "Language and Sexual Imagery in Broadcasting: A Contextual Investigation" their definition of Chink was "... a term of racial offence/abuse. However, this is polarising. Older and mainly white groups tend to think this is not usually used in an abusive way—e.g., let's go to the Chinky—which is not seen as offensive; younger groups and those from ethnic minorities feel this could be as insulting as 'paki' or '******'."

Clear that different age ranges and ethnicities affects whether you think the term is offensive or not.

Good point, and one folk like myself may have to take into account now, like i said move with the times even though in no way do i mean it in a bad way.

Peevemor
13-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Ah, the quality of racist prime time tv. I remember the white neighbour absolutely ripping everything about the black couple next door in every episode - unwashed, cannibals, savages, heathens and culturally and academically backward. BUT, the black husband would call the guy a honky or a snowflake just once at the end of the show and then everything would be deemed fair and square...well the darkie did call our upstanding working class hero a bad name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

My memory of 'love thy neighbour' is that the black guy (although at that time "coloured" was the term to use - times change eh?) invariably got the better of his less intelligent white neighbour. Although they could be as pig headed as each other, the programme illustrated the stupidity of racism.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 09:50 PM
I have not heard any words used to racially slur chinese people, maybe because i generally don't come into contact with any of them other than in their restaurants.

You make a good point about using the word in a room full of chinese, and my answer is if it was an insult to them then i wouldnt.

Yet when i'm saying i fancy a chinky, in no way do i believe i'm racially abusing them?

I don't believe you're racially abusing them either, but it doesn't extinguish the true meaning of the word. For me personally, offensive words like paki/chinky etc. should be left in the past, and using them - even in a situation where no-one is necessarily hurt - just perpetuates their existence in our vocabulary.

CropleyWasGod
13-09-2016, 09:52 PM

I'm sure that you don't think that you are being abusive. However, the particular Chinese person may still be offended. ..and that's the point.

He or she doesn't know whether you are being abusive, and their experience of the word may be negative. So, in their view, you're a racist.....even although you're not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hibby70
13-09-2016, 10:02 PM
I was once in a Chinese/chippy takeaway and asked for chips. The Chinese server then asked if I wanted chippy chips or chinky chips!

Some people find things offensive and some don't - it's always better to assume they will be and use alternative words - it's not that hard.

I asked for Chinese chips in case you were wondering.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 10:06 PM
True, but in the case of the p-word, it has well and truly been made racist by lots and lots of people using it in a racist way. You can't make it un-racist just because your intent isn't racist.

Well I dont mean it to be racist and I wont use it anymore because if im being disrespectful thats not right. However in no way is it racist

FitbaFolkKen
13-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Well I dont mean it to be racist and I wont use it anymore because if im being disrespectful thats not right. However in no way is it racist

Good that you are not using it, however it is without doubt racist. This is part of the definition from urban dictionary which is a ropey source but possibly more in tune with how common language is used and perceived.

Paki -

A racist term that is often applied to people of Pakistani or South Asian descent. Its origins are commonly traced back to about 30 years ago, when British hooligans used the term Paki-bashing to refer to the gang beating of ethnic minorities.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 10:17 PM

The use of the term "Paki" was first recorded in 1964, during a period of increased immigration to the United Kingdom. It has also been directed to people of other South Asian backgrounds, as well as people from other demographics who resemble Pakistanis.[4] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paki_(slur)#cite_note-bbc-4) In the 1970s and 1980s, violent gangs opposed to immigration took part in attacks known as "Paki-bashing", which targeted people and premises of any South Asian origin,[5] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paki_(slur)#cite_note-5) or any other ethnic minority.[6 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paki_(slur)#cite_note-bush-6)].

The word is inherently offensive and doesn't have a history beyond its use as a racial slur. Saying you use it as a "shortening" is just wrong. It's also completely unnecessary; you don't need to call it a 'Pakistani shop'. As someone else mentioned previously, it's really not for you to decide what is and isn't racist. No-one knows your intent when using it, so it's best not to use it at all.

jacomo
13-09-2016, 10:17 PM
This thread has gone on an interesting diversion!

But the point is: Hun isn't a racist term. It isn't a sectarian term. It wasn't back in Atilla's day either, because his horde was amassed from loads of different tribes, as was the way with great armies back then.

It describes an attitude and way of behaving. We all know what that is. Only now, they've added victim hood to an already volatile mix, fuelled by misplaced grievances deliverately stirred up by their own club.

I'll stop calling them Huns when they stop acting like Huns.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Good that you are not using it, however it is without doubt racist. This is part of the definition from urban dictionary which is a ropey source but possibly more in tune with how common language is used and perceived.

Paki -

A racist term that is often applied to people of Pakistani or South Asian descent. Its origins are commonly traced back to about 30 years ago, when British hooligans used the term Paki-bashing to refer to the gang beating of ethnic minorities.

Ok ok I get it.
Lesson learned. However I still dont know the name of the shop. Im going to have to look lol..I only ever use it because I try to keep little shops like that prioritised so they survive. Im in no way racist, but I promise I will drag myself out of the habit and accept that its wrong. .are we happy now?

pedroorange1875
13-09-2016, 10:21 PM

Paki -

I understand the dictionary term, however surely the word Paki short for Pakistani on its own cant have any racist meaning, was it not the fact that many words used after it were derogatory and therefore the overall meaning very racist. Thus through time the word on its own wrongly labelled racist. Im a Scot but a scots b****** has a very different meaning

greenteam
13-09-2016, 10:21 PM

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 10:23 PM
I understand the dictionary term, however surely the word Paki short for Pakistani on its own cant have any racist meaning, was it not the fact that many words used after it were derogatory and therefore the overall meaning very racist. Thus through time the word on its own wrongly labelled racist. Im a Scot but a scots b****** has a very different meaning

No, because Paki isn't short for Pakistani. The term was coined by British racists, and is a blanket term which is applied to people of South Asian descent, as opposed to Pakistanis.

pedroorange1875
13-09-2016, 10:28 PM
No, because Paki isn't short for Pakistani. The term was coined by British racists, and is a blanket term which is applied to people of South Asian descent, as opposed to Pakistanis.

Are you sure about that

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm sure the young Chinese/Asian/Scottish lass who starred in the anti-racist adverts on the tellybox was asked if she felt it was acceptable to 'go for a chinky' and said words to the effect of 'dinnae be daft, how could you be racist about a tasty meal'

Seems fair.

I think she had to say it again about an hour later though.

majorhibs
13-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Took my son 6 yrs ago to tell me, when he was 10, that saying your getting scran from the "chinky" is racist. In the 70s/80s in places like leith & lochend the biggest users of the tem "chinky" were the people who were assocciated wi said restaurants & carry oots. But my son pointed it out to me, lesson learned. No everybody has family members who will keep them right & enlightening to new ways is not a 1 day process. Still, nae doubt there will occurr in the next few years folk interpreting things fi 2 different sides. If my Son hadnae telt me "chinky" was considered racist by youngsters, the fact that in MY youth the biggest users of that term were Chinese people I encountered, would probably mean I would still be talking like that, but the big deal, no, is that everybody's coming from different angles & the biggest jumpers on bandwagons could dae wi a look at theirselves every now & then, & how they understand & tolerate others around them who have as the saying goes, walked a mile or 2 in different shoes.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Are you sure about that

Well I'm no etymologist but I can't find anything that predates its use as a racial slur. Feel free to enlighten me.

Time For Heroes
13-09-2016, 10:32 PM

I was making a wee joke before mate, dont actually think you're a racist :greengrin

Peevemor
13-09-2016, 10:33 PM
No, because Paki isn't short for Pakistani.

Says who?

The term was coined by British racists, and is a blanket term which is applied to people of South Asian descent, as opposed to Pakistanis.

Says who?

pedroorange1875
Well I'm no etymologist but I can't find anything that predates its use as a racial slur. Feel free to enlighten me.

I googled it as well and you are right....good old google

FitbaFolkKen

That is exactly why it is a racist term, because of it's use and origin.

I would say "I'm a proud Scot" as it has little to no negative connotations for my ethnic group. Yes someone could use it for a racially motivated attack as you highlighted but the term Scot is an identity for most Scottish people and something to be proud of. The reverse cannot be said.

majorhibs
13-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Says who?

Says who?

Ye've quoted 2 posts & remarked "said who" no enlightening. Worked in Pakistan & India, places wi such different cultures & upbringings & understandings as things from anywhere West as comparisons are meaningless. In the west as in here, different place different rules. When there though, life is lived as how they live it. Their country. Try going sometime.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Says who?

Says who?

It's widely regarded as a racist term. I feel like the burden of proof isn't on me here, seeing as I can find nothing to indicate it's ever been used as an inoffensive shortening of the word Pakistani.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 10:42 PM
I googled it as well and you are right....good old google
:wink::aok:

Peevemor
13-09-2016, 10:43 PM

Find anything? You do know that the world existed and that language evolved before the invention of the Internet?

From personal experience, there were Pakistani twins in my year at secondary school. They both spoke about Pakis (of themselves and others).

At around the same time, the paper shop beside the Longstone Inn was owned by a friendly guy who introduced himself as Aki (the Paki).

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Find anything? You do know that the world existed and that language evolved before the invention of the Internet?

From personal experience, there were Pakistani twins in my year at secondary school. They both spoke about Pakis (of themselves and others).

At around the same time, the paper shop beside the Longstone Inn was owned by a friendly guy who introduced himself as Aki (the Paki).

Yes, I do know that. I'm also more inclined to trust the Internet's wealth of information(which includes stuff that predates the invention of the Internet, you know?) over a couple of anecdotes.

Just because you met a couple of people who were OK with - or seemed to be, although it could have purely been because of the social pressure involved - it doesn't change the fact that it is a racial slur.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 10:49 PM
I was making a wee joke before mate, dont actually think you're a racist :greengrin

Its cool bud..not really taking anything personally lol.im just interested to keep reading peoples views on whats classed as racist. As someone said. I think any word used in context with another adjective behind is racist
But being verbally lazy does not constitute racism, but ok times change so I must too. Fair enough.

majorhibs
13-09-2016, 10:50 PM
As implied its something the person recieving doesnae like. As doesnae happen much nowadays wi the street lawyers that everybody seems tae want tae be, common sense long ago left this debate.

pedroorange1875
13-09-2016, 10:50 PM
It's widely regarded as a racist term. I feel like the burden of proof isn't on me here, seeing as I can find nothing to indicate it's ever been used as an inoffensive shortening of the word Pakistani.

I found a few things but i used Yahoo :wink:

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 10:52 PM
I found a few things but i used Yahoo :wink:
Yahoo is racist!:cb

oldbutdim
13-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Indeed it is.
Racial stereotyping of Fifers.

Yahoorsir.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 11:00 PM
As implied its something the person recieving doesnae like. As doesnae happen much nowadays wi the street lawyers that everybody seems tae want tae be, common sense long ago left this debate.
Jeez. I know. Definitely finding out the name of that shop lol..

Peevemor
13-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Ye've quoted 2 posts & remarked "said who" no enlightening. Worked in Pakistan & India, places wi such different cultures & upbringings & understandings as things from anywhere West as comparisons are meaningless. In the west as in here, different place different rules. When there though, life is lived as how they live it. Their country. Try going sometime.

I would love to.

Having lived in France for 12 years I myself have had to adapt to a different culture (though obviously the differences are far more subtle than the countries you mentioned).

What annoys me is younger generations being unwilling to accept how British culture has changed. That there was a time when absolutely nobody took offence about talk of getting a chinky carry-out. That Pakistanis were Pakis both for those who were racist and those who were indifferent.

majorhibs
13-09-2016, 11:03 PM
On a rig, 10 years ago, in India, all the crew were absolute barry guys, best workers you could imagine. All worked my same rota 4 & 4, got to ken them all really good. As I said real good guys & workers. In bletherings about nothing much, my crew of 6 lads, one of the best crews I've worked with in my career, 13 months later amongst coffee shop bletherings, still, the only person ANY of them had heard of from the west apart fi cricketers was - Michael Jackson. Good lads, but Bollywood it was for them.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 11:09 PM
On a rig, 10 years ago, in India, all the crew were absolute barry guys, best workers you could imagine. All worked my same rota 4 & 4, got to ken them all really good. As I said real good guys & workers. In bletherings about nothing much, my crew of 6 lads, one of the best crews I've worked with in my career, 13 months later amongst coffee shop bletherings, still, the only person ANY of them had heard of from the west apart fi cricketers was - Michael Jackson. Good lads, but Bollywood it was for them.
Agree mate. I love the country and the people. Great culture out there. Nicest people ive ever met. Friendly and a good laugh

FitbaFolkKen
13-09-2016, 11:15 PM
I would love to.

Having lived in France for 12 years I myself have had to adapt to a different culture (though obviously the differences are far more subtle than the countries you mentioned).

What annoys me is younger generations being unwilling to accept how British culture has changed. That there was a time when absolutely nobody took offence about talk of getting a chinky carry-out. That Pakistanis were Pakis both for those who were racist and those who were indifferent.

I don't understand the comment about being unwilling to accept change? Surely as they are instigating change they are fully aware of the British culture when racism and racist language was more prevalent?

greenteam
13-09-2016, 11:23 PM
I don't understand the comment about being unwilling to accept change? Surely as they are instigating change they are fully aware of the British culture when racism and racist language was more prevalent?

I think he means words that are now classed as racist were anything but years ago..he means what I think. The words used were just part if yhe way we spoke and not intended to be racist.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 11:26 PM
I think he means words that are now classed as racist were anything but years ago..he means what I think. The words used were just part if yhe way we spoke and not intended to be racist.

I guess the question is whether they really weren't seen as racist terms (from the perspective of the targeted demographic especially) or if the culture was just much more tolerant of racism back then? Or both.

Peevemor
13-09-2016, 11:31 PM

Not "unwilling to accept change", but unwilling to accept that things have changed.

Exactly.

greenteam
13-09-2016, 11:32 PM
I guess the question is whether they really weren't seen as racist terms (from the perspective of the targeted demographic especially) or if the culture was just much more tolerant of racism back then? Or both.
It wasnt racist though..if I said im off to the paki, it wasnt said in a racist or negative way, it was just a figure of speech. Wrong as it obviously is it was never intended to be anything other than letting your mate know where you eere going..was the same as saying im off to tescos.
Ok I agree its wrong and things change, but if you hear an older bloke saying it dont class him as a racist lol

Peevemor
13-09-2016, 11:46 PM

That's a huge subject. I was born in 1967, so I remember stuff from the 70s. When Hibs beat Hearts 7-0, WW2 had finished only 25/26 years before - it's nothing (for people who remember Major taking over from Thatcher, it's the same length of time) - talk of yanks, krauts, eyeties, etc. was par for the course. Britain had also experienced huge waves of immigration from it's former colonies and this was all new - especially in Scotland.

You used the word "perspective". For the majority, that was based on two and a half tv channels, whatever daily paper came into the house and occasional trips to the flicks. It was a different world and although there may have been , in general terms, an innocent lack of tact/respect, I don't think you could say that people were more or less racist.

SRHibs
13-09-2016, 11:52 PM
That's a huge subject. I was born in 1967, so I remember stuff from the 70s. When Hibs beat Hearts 7-0, WW2 had finished only 25/26 years before - it's nothing - talk of yanks, krauts, eyeties, etc. was par for the course. Britain had also experienced huge waves of immigration from it's former colonies and this was all new - especially in Scotland. You used the word "perspective". For the majority, that was based on two and a half tv channels, whtever daily paper came into the house and occasional trips to the flicks. It was a different world and although there may have been , in general terms, an innocent lack of tact/respect, I don't think you could say that people were more or less racist.

Interesting. Well, I can't claim to know too much about it as it was before my time. I guess with proper integration of different cultures into our society came a reduction in words that would be seen as offensive. I'm not a huge fan of the language policing which is happening these days, but (potentially) racist terms we can do without IMO.

But aye, on topic, Hun is fair game.:flag:

mjhibby
13-09-2016, 11:55 PM
My memory of 'love thy neighbour' is that the black guy (although at that time "coloured" was the term to use - times change eh?) invariably got the better of his less intelligent white neighbour. Although they could be as pig headed as each other, the programme illustrated the stupidity of racism.

Absobloodylutely.That was the whole point of the programme. Something is racist only if it is meant to truly offend. Common sense has indeed gone out of the window. Does that calling me a jock,or sweaty sock as the English rugby players call scotland is racist. It doesn't bother me in the slightest and I take it as a compliment but others may find it offensive. What is racist and what is not is very much open to interpretation. Too many people look for racism where there is none.

monktonharp
14-09-2016, 12:11 AM
There'll be green in the branch so they won't touch it.

What I can't get my head round is who the **** do they think they are? Issuing statements left right and centre as if the rest of the world is sitting waiting before it makes it's mind up.

There's a small section of society that might need to be guided by banana republic style dictators but whoever is behind this strategy doesn't understand how backward and institutionalized they look.

They do need to keep their fans eyes of the ball though, maybe one or two of them will eventually look inward as the mess escalates? They thought cheeky Charlie was bad!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using TapatalkI think it is likened to the film, one flew over the cuckoo's nest. they might need someone to take a lead, take them on a wee bus trip and onto a little coal steamer boat doon the watter!. unfortunately, I can see it all ending up in tears like the film. some poor misguided huns found in the morning wi slashed wrists, like the end o' the film and the nurse looking glaringly at the one that thought it a guid idea to take them out for a day .

monktonharp
14-09-2016, 12:20 AM
Sorry Gt, I should also have said, I am totally at one with you being gobsmacked. If I drank coffee and had a dog, I would have given it a hot shower while reading their outburst too...not the Raith's manager golden type may I add (allegedly). I could spray orange juice over Ms Effen Bee's cat though. They obviously don't do irony as others have said. When Ricky Gervaise was debating with a theist and talking about an afterlife, he said, being dead is a bit like being stupid - you don't know you are but others do. I thought he was talking directly about the The Rangers hierarchy.:greengrinyou did say Orange juice, didn't you? be careful what your saying:wink:

greenteam
14-09-2016, 12:28 AM
you did say Orange juice, didn't you? be careful what your saying:wink:

Lol

Time For Heroes
14-09-2016, 12:41 AM
This thread has got me thinking about Blazing Saddles, must watch that again, brilliant movie

high bee
14-09-2016, 06:16 AM
I think the big difference between using the slang/racist term for a shop (the one I won't describe in any more detail as I feel it's inherently racist) or Chinese takeaway is that the takeaway term is used to describe the origin of the cuisine and that type of food is associated with that type of takeaway.

The derogatory term for those shops refers to the perceived nationality of the owner and has no reference to the shop, they sell the same products you get in most other shops.

You could go to almost any shop/supermaket for general groceries so there is no need to describe it in any way other than as a shop but you wouldn't expect to go to a chippy or a pizza shop for Chinese cuisine which gives a legitimate reasons to have a description of the type of restaurant, whether or not we are using the correct term or the shortening of the word Chinese is acceptable is a divisive issue whereas the other is seen as wrong in the majority of people.

Green-Hibee-7
14-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Most ironic thing I've ever seen/read. The very fact the head of the orange order has also came out with a statement citing religious hatred or along those lines is again baffling seeing as his organisation survives and acts on such hatred. Surely they are not that thick in the head that they can't see the irony.

The hanging of the blow up dolls was out of order and un called for. Just shows you these clowns are as bad as each other.

About time the SFA stop bottling it. Start chucking out point deductions, stadium closures. They won't but they should.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2016, 06:54 AM
I don't believe you're racially abusing them either, but it doesn't extinguish the true meaning of the word. For me personally, offensive words like paki/chinky etc. should be left in the past, and using them - even in a situation where no-one is necessarily hurt - just perpetuates their existence in our vocabulary.

I'm sure that you don't think that you are being abusive. However, the particular Chinese person may still be offended. ..and that's the point.

He or she doesn't know whether you are being abusive, and their experience of the word may be negative. So, in their view, you're a racist.....even although you're not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I understand what you are both saying, and will try and change it from chinky to chinese from now on, as i said before times and words have changed. :aok:

lyonhibs
14-09-2016, 07:00 AM
Well this thread has rather swerved wildly from the original point. Has this latest statement actually officially appeared in full anywhere or are there just some quotes from down the pub that have become a "Rangers statement".

I ask because I'd quite like a read of the full thing, to bathe in their impotent, self righteous fury. I could do with a chuckle.

GordonHFC
14-09-2016, 07:03 AM
This thread has got me thinking about Blazing Saddles, must watch that again, brilliant movie

Must be the least pc film ever made 😃

ozwoody
14-09-2016, 07:15 AM
When i was growing up in lochend in the 70s/80s we had a paki shop on the corner and a chinky down the road and it wasnt considered racist, i guess times just change.
In saying that, i have been called many things in Aus ,such as jock ,or even worse being asked what part of England im from!
I think people were more tolerant then as for every alf garnett there was a love thy neighbour (ask your parents) which, looking back now,was racist to blacks and whites.
Mind you , I do live in a country that has a brand of cheese called coon! Nobody rioting in the streets about that tho

greenteam
14-09-2016, 07:18 AM
Well this thread has rather swerved wildly from the original point. Has this latest statement actually officially appeared in full anywhere or are there just some quotes from down the pub that have become a "Rangers statement".

I ask because I'd quite like a read of the full thing, to bathe in their impotent, self righteous fury. I could do with a chuckle.

Ive seen a bit of it on BBC Teletext and a link somewhere here from a Celtic site.
Bits of it are on BBC teletext and ive seen a link via a Celtic

greenteam
14-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Ive seen a bit of it on BBC Teletext and a link somewhere here from a Celtic site.
Bits of it are on BBC teletext and ive seen a link via a Celtic

Sorry not sure what happened there.

WhileTheChief..
14-09-2016, 07:25 AM
There was the statement from club1872 which is a fans group and a sentence or two from Rangers stating that their fans were subjected to sectarian abuse.

Still waiting on the rambling seethe from Traynor.

ian cruise
14-09-2016, 07:27 AM

I know club 1872 made a statement which is a fan group 5he club officially back and have asked fans to support and buy their merch rather than official merch as they want to cut off revenue to Ashley. I don't know if the club itself has made a statement, some are saying they've seen quotes from the club on Sky Sports News and the papers but not seen them myself.

Moulin Yarns
14-09-2016, 07:47 AM

It is reported in various places, except their own website.

“The club’s directors are fully aware of the disgust felt by Rangers supporters who were subjected to a sickening and shameful display of outright sectarian hatred towards them.

“We also share the fans’ anger and will be contacting Club 1872 as a matter of urgency.”

Scott Allan Key
14-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Are you sure about that

Yes, I'm sure. 'Paki' is only used by predominately white people pejoratively, whether realising or not. As previously stated, it comes from era of 'Paki-bashing' by far-right gangs in the '70's. No-one from Pakistani descent understands it as a friendly term. It has connotations of physical violence and verbal abuse and people would do well to remember that, especially when we have many Scots-Asians who support Hibs in Leith.

worcesterhibby
14-09-2016, 08:05 AM

I do think you are wrong about this. As someone born in 1968 I can remember the main wave of shops (both corner shops and fashion shops) being opened by immigrants from the Asian Sub-continent. My family used them and had good friendly relations with their proprietors. The term Paki shop was originally used in a purely descriptive way as a shortening of the word Pakistani. It was a term used by pretty much everyone in Edinburgh and as such I would guarantee you the majority did not have racist feeling towards the people in question. (although no doubt a minority were racist and did also use the term). However the rise of "skinhead" culture in particular in the early 1980's led to a lot of verbal and physical attacks on asian immigrants and in particular the use of graffiti terms such as "go-home Paki" meant that the phrase which was originally just a generic term for Asian immigrants became associated with racism and violence.

It is now (imho) unacceptable to use the phrase and I don't think I personally have used it since about 1983.

It wasn't invented by racists though they just commandeered it.

Interestingly very few people ever get pulled up for using the term "yank" which as a shortening of "Yankee" to describe an American certainly has just as much of a racist connotation as "Paki" or "Chinky". The term Yank is virtually never used to be positive and I've never heard an American call themselves a Yank.

Hun isn't sectarian it's footballtarian

Craig_HFC
14-09-2016, 08:07 AM
This thread has taken a weird turn. So, anyway, back on topic...

The Huns are revolting.