PDA

View Full Version : Hibs take Welsh International on trial

Wheat Hound
12-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Neil Lennon takes Wales cap Neal Eardley on trial at Hibs http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/neil-lennon-takes-wales-cap-neal-eardley-on-trial-at-hibs-1-4228499

Centre Hawf
13-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Decent pedigree and was very highly rated when younger, obviously his career has stalled due to injuries more than performances or attitude issues. I think this would be a fabulous signing for the club.

Auckland Hibs
13-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2006–2009 Oldham Athletic 113 (10)
2009–2013 Blackpool 104 (2)
2013–2016 Birmingham City 14 (0)
2015 → Leyton Orient (loan) 1 (0)

National team
2003–2004 Wales U17 3 (0)
2005 Wales U19 1 (0)
2006–2010 Wales U21 10 (1)
2007–2011 Wales 16 (0)

Right back - club appearances above...

Vault Boy
13-09-2016, 01:02 AM
Rated Neil from the limited exposure I've had to him in the past. Will be happy if Lennon decides to bring him in.

California-Hibs
13-09-2016, 03:21 AM
Can't say I've ever seen him play. Seems to have a good pedigree behind him though. Only thing that makes me cautious is the anterior cruciate ligament injury as we know how much of a pain that particular injury can be. However if the physio's think this is behind him and he shines in the development game then this could potentially hopefully be a good back up/competition for gray.

Don Giovanni
13-09-2016, 05:51 AM
The thread title caused me to boak at the thought of our last couple of Welsh internationals - David Stephens and Owen Tudor-Jones. The former was young and just not good enough but the latter was and absolute imposter. :vomit:

Anyway, best of luck to Eardley. Hope you prove your quality and earn a deal. I'm confident Lennon will make the right call.

GGTTH

calumhibee1
13-09-2016, 06:39 AM
The thread title caused me to boak at the thought of our last couple of Welsh internationals - David Stephens and Owen Tudor-Jones. The former was young and just not good enough but the latter was and absolute imposter. :vomit:

Anyway, best of luck to Eardley. Hope you prove your quality and earn a deal. I'm confident Lennon will make the right call.

GGTTH
Who was manager at the time of Stephens? I remember him being played upfront a couple times 😂

Hibbyradge
13-09-2016, 06:50 AM
Neil Lennon doesn't know if the laddie's even fit, never mind if he's any good.

He also hasn't attracted enough interest to win a contract anywhere else, so I'm not going to get too excited about him coming on trial for a couple of days.

CallumLaidlaw
13-09-2016, 06:57 AM

He also hasn't attracted enough interest to win a contract anywhere else, so I'm not going to get too excited about him coming on trial for a couple of days.

To be fair, neither had Dom Malonga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
13-09-2016, 06:58 AM
Seems to have had an awful lot of injuries but has played at a higher level than us.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2016, 07:02 AM
He was good for Blackpool, quite good going forward and a decent defender from what i remember of his time at the Pool.

He was in a good side at the beginning when he first came into the side, they were an improving side who had good players.

Not heard anything of him for a few years though, so no idea how he's been doing?

Marco G
13-09-2016, 07:41 AM

Sorry, but how do you know what Neil Lennon knows?

If we only try to sign players in contract we might not get many in the door, and when the window is closed there is not much alternative! Nothing to lose by having a look at him imho.

JimBHibees
13-09-2016, 07:48 AM

He'll know he is good the trial will be to gauge fitness/sharpness etc.

LancsHibs
13-09-2016, 07:49 AM
He was good for Blackpool, quite good going forward and a decent defender from what i remember of his time at the Pool.

He was in a good side at the beginning when he first came into the side, they were an improving side who had good players.

Not heard anything of him for a few years though, so no idea how he's been doing?

Was going to say the same. It was 5 years since he was at Blackpool though. No idea what he would be like now. Hopefully similar.

Lancs Harp
13-09-2016, 07:49 AM
Much as BpoolHibs says, he was decent at Blackpool when Pool had a good side. Good going forward and reasonable defending but that probably needed a bit of work on (he used to get caught out of position a fair bit) His progress has been seriously hampered with injury. Could be a pretty good signing.

nellio
13-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Being Welsh I've seen this lad quite a bit over the years. Was exceptional for Blackpool whenever I saw him. Saw him for Wales U21's a few times and always played well. I gather he was decent at Birmingham as well but I'm not sure what he's like now, must be a good few years since I last saw him play.

nellio
13-09-2016, 12:03 PM
If he's fit and we're going to be using him as a backup for DG then he should easily be good enough as a squad player even if he is a bit older now.

Don Giovanni
13-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Who was manager at the time of Stephens? I remember him being played upfront a couple times 😂

The tactical genius that is Colin Calderclown I think? (So good he's never been trusted with a mangerial gig since leaving ER).

Think Stephens may have got a few games under Fenlon before being emptied and turning up at Barnet along with Stack.

Stevie Reid
13-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Stephens was signed by Yogi, but featured under Calderwood. He was brought on by CC to replace Nish up front in a 0-0 draw against St Johnstone, when we had to use a Maltese referee due to the strike.

As you can probably guess, the game was an absolute shocker if those were the most memorable things.

CallumLaidlaw
13-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Stephens had most of the attributes to be a cracking centre half. Unfortunately he couldn't put them together.

JimBHibees
13-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Stephens had most of the attributes to be a cracking centre half. Unfortunately he couldn't put them together.

He made some howling errors. Can remember us scoring against St Johnstone we were either 2 1 down or 1 1 and right form the kick off he ducked out the way of the ball allowing them to score? Bit of a bombscare.

HappyHanlon
13-09-2016, 01:47 PM
The tactical genius that is Colin Calderclown I think? (So good he's never been trusted with a mangerial gig since leaving ER).

Think Stephens may have got a few games under Fenlon before being emptied and turning up at Barnet along with Stack.

Now playing for Boreham Wood.

Stevie Reid
13-09-2016, 02:28 PM
He made some howling errors. Can remember us scoring against St Johnstone we were either 2 1 down or 1 1 and right form the kick off he ducked out the way of the ball allowing them to score? Bit of a bombscare.

Correct Jim - we had just equalised to make it 2-2 (peach from Callum Booth) and Stephens sold the jerseys almost immediately. Earlier in the game we had got back to 1-1 and St. Johnstone went ahead seconds afterwards.

jacomo
14-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Correct Jim - we had just equalised to make it 2-2 (peach from Callum Booth) and Stephens sold the jerseys almost immediately. Earlier in the game we had got back to 1-1 and St. Johnstone went ahead seconds afterwards.

Dark times. Him and O'Hanlon stood out for as being absolutely hopeless.

Tamhere1875
14-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Was at last nights development game with St Mirren the guy had a quite first half not a lot to do but what he did was ok. Second half he say a bit more action did what he was asked to do before being replaced after 75 mins

ian cruise
14-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Dark times. Him and O'Hanlon stood out for as being absolutely hopeless.

Are you for getting O'Hanlon's masterclass in Aberdeen?

sambajustice
14-09-2016, 12:48 PM
my mate who knows Welsh football inside out and works with Welsh FA, he's a fans rep of sorts I believe made this assessment of him.

"good with the ball and going forward but can't defend. Has a habit of going on the piss so will love Edinburgh "

LOL

CallumLaidlaw
14-09-2016, 12:53 PM
my mate who knows Welsh football inside out and works with Welsh FA, he's a fans rep of sorts I believe made this assessment of him.

"good with the ball and going forward but can't defend. Has a habit of going on the piss so will love Edinburgh "

LOL

Sure he wasn't on about Tavernier

snooky
14-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Don't know the guy from Adam but if his two of his reported main attributes are "injury-prone" and "going out on the piss", then it's 'no thanks' for me.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Don't know the guy from Adam but if his two of his reported main attributes are "injury-prone" and "going out on the piss", then it's 'no thanks' for me.

Don't forget he was good at Blackpool.......about five years ago

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-09-2016, 05:40 PM
But the story is that Lenny has him in for a look and that's all just now?

Broken Gnome
14-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Stephens was signed by Yogi, but featured under Calderwood. He was brought on by CC to replace Nish up front in a 0-0 draw against St Johnstone, when we had to use a Maltese referee due to the strike.

As you can probably guess, the game was an absolute shocker if those were the most memorable things.

The fact that was the worst game I've ever seen stops it from being the most forgettable game I've ever seen. One silver lining for it.

JDT
14-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Didn't Sean O'Hanlon play a couple of games for Bonnyrigg Rose after Hibs? I seem to recall him being there

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-09-2016, 09:51 PM

It was also horrendously cold. I had two English friends up for the weekend and took them along for their first experience of Scottish football. Safe to say it lived up to their expectations in every single way.

LancashireHibby
14-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Saw Eardley on trial with Bolton this summer and wasn't especially impressive. Mind you, Liam Fontaine looked dreadful on trial with Bolton immediately before signing for Hibs and he's been tremendous for most of his time with us!

Bald Reynard
20-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Was at last nights development game with St Mirren the guy had a quite first half not a lot to do but what he did was ok. Second half he say a bit more action did what he was asked to do before being replaced after 75 mins

I wonder if Eardley will be playing again for the Development Squad against Falkirk today ? Sounds like he had a reasonable game against St Mirren. If he does play, I hope he steps up and encourages Lenny to sign him on - we desperately need Right Back cover.

Stevie Reid
20-09-2016, 04:01 PM
It was also horrendously cold. I had two English friends up for the weekend and took them along for their first experience of Scottish football. Safe to say it lived up to their expectations in every single way.

It was indeed. There were huge snow drifts just hours after that game.

Kavinho
21-09-2016, 08:37 PM

I remember the 50odd year old ref played a blinder

staunchhibby
21-09-2016, 09:22 PM
The best ref seen at easter road for a long time.Bring the Maltese back.

Bald Reynard
22-09-2016, 09:41 AM
I wonder if Eardley will be playing again for the Development Squad against Falkirk today ? Sounds like he had a reasonable game against St Mirren. If he does play, I hope he steps up and encourages Lenny to sign him on - we desperately need Right Back cover.

Eardley did OK in the Development game against the Bairns, according to reports (and set up our first goal). He lasted 80 mins, so I guess his injury worries might be behind him. I reckon Lenny will be tempted to sign him on a short term contract, though might give him another Trial game or two, just to be sure ?

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-09-2016, 12:20 PM
A short term contract up to the next window would not be too costly.

GreenCastle
22-09-2016, 12:43 PM
I was really impressed with him in Development game - I would offer him a deal.

SteveHFC
27-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Signed until January.