PDA

View Full Version : Grant Holt

pedroorange1875
11-09-2016, 10:45 PM
Not scoring regularly but is having major impact regularly. You need something a bit different to get out this league and Grant Holt is the piece we did not have last season. I don't think he will get loads of goals this season but he will be the main difference on the park on why we will go up.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Lennon says that other players can learn from him.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Not scoring regularly but is having major impact regularly. You need something a bit different to get out this league and Grant Holt is the piece we did not have last season. I don't think he will get loads of goals this season but he will be the main difference on the park on why we will go up.

Absolutely. He gives the midfield extra space to work by staying high up the pitch occupying the centre halfs. We will score a lot more goals this season because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vini1875
11-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Sorry I'm just not seeing it. I heard NL signal him out as having a good game, but I am clearly missing something here.

matty_f
11-09-2016, 11:11 PM
I wasn't sure about Holt initially, however he was good against Morton and I think he'll prove to be invaluable as the season progresses. Cummings will definitely benefit from his experience.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Sorry I'm just not seeing it. I heard NL signal him out as having a good game, but I am clearly missing something here.

It's more about the type of player than Holt himself. We've needed someone to do that job for two seasons. Only Stubbs knows why he never addressed the problem. We would have been up by now if he had.

Centre Hawf
11-09-2016, 11:16 PM
It's more about the type of player than Holt himself. We've needed someone to do that job for two seasons. Only Stubbs knows why he never addressed the problem. We would have been up by now if he had.

Stubbs brought Farid in who could have arguably been better for the club than Grant Holt. I was a big fan of Farid when he first started but injuries took its toll on him and ultimately us as we missed a player like him.

Ozyhibby
12-09-2016, 01:32 AM
Stubbs brought Farid in who could have arguably been better for the club than Grant Holt. I was a big fan of Farid when he first started but injuries took its toll on him and ultimately us as we missed a player like him.

I agree, Farid could maybe have done that job but it's hard to say for sure. It was clear very early on that he was not going to be available to us and in the next 3 windows Stubbs never tried to replace him. He maybe couldn't see it, I don't know.
This season will feel like teams are not sitting in against us but it will just be that we are stretching them more.

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2016, 06:22 AM
I keep hearing this argument about farid, and how we missed him because of his injury. He arrived with that chronic knee problem, and how he passed a medical is beyond me.

If he had not been injured with his achilles injury, his knee would have still had the same injury which kept him out for long periods.

oneone73
12-09-2016, 06:47 AM
I keep hearing this argument about farid, and how we missed him because of his injury. He arrived with that chronic knee problem, and how he passed a medical is beyond me.

If he had not been injured with his achilles injury, his knee would have still had the same injury which kept him out for long periods.
I thought he sustained that injury at Alloa?

Brooster
12-09-2016, 06:51 AM
Holt must be a nightmare to play against, dragging defenders all over the place, ragdolling them and winning all the high balls. He mustve been some player at his peak. And I like the way he manages us on the pitch. He's defo playing a big part in our current good run and in my opinion is a much better player than Farid.

Brightside
12-09-2016, 06:53 AM

Yep top class player and we have Graham that can come on after 70 mins to inject a bit more pace when Holt tires. Both great signings.

superfurryhibby
12-09-2016, 07:16 AM
I remaim not entirley convinced by Holt. He does add a different dimension to our game, though I can't say I've seen him beasting the opposition. A tad exagerrated methinks.

He is still carrying weight and given that he is a professional athelete, albeit coming to the end of his career, I can't help feeling that he can get fitter and add a bit more to his game. Early days still and we also have Graham to compete with him for a place, so happy enough at this point.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Yep top class player and we have Graham that can come on after 70 mins to inject a bit more pace when Holt tires. Both great signings.

I like Holt but, wouldnae be surprised to see Graham start more games as the season progresses.

calumhibee1
12-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Wouldnae be surprised to see Graham start more games as the season progresses.

I really like the look of Graham. Wins nearly everything that comes his way.

Craig_HFC
12-09-2016, 07:50 AM
Holt is a very important player for us and the type of player we've been missing for the past 2 seasons.

He's a very intelligent player and he is making Jason Cummings a better player too. His experience will be brilliant for Jase and Keatings too; they'll learn a lot from him.

Also been very impressed from what I've seen of Brian Graham so far too.

Kato
12-09-2016, 07:53 AM
For me Holt is already making an impact but his truth worth will be when winter sets in and pitches get heavier. His presence alone will create space for others. Dunno if anyone remembers Lennon's punditry during the EURO's but he spoke expansively about the "False Number 9" tactic and I reckon that's what we are seeing with Holt.

Forza Fred
12-09-2016, 07:58 AM

Under Stubbs several injured players were signed.

I raised the question as to what sort of medical examination they undertook...but nobody seems to have the full info.

I suggest whatever we did back then, needs to be reviewed.

lucky
12-09-2016, 08:01 AM
An expirenced CF who keeps the CHs busy. GH gives his all and will get his fair share of goals but it's the way he creates spaces for others which is important to the team.

mim
12-09-2016, 08:12 AM
I can't help feeling that he can get fitter and add a bit more to his game.

I'm baffled by this view, which I've heard several times before.
Holt played for 120 minutes in hot conditions in Brondby and didn't stop running and chasing from start to finish.
His fitness and stamina are not in question. He's not over mobile, but that's another argument entirely. :wink:

Highland_Hibee
12-09-2016, 08:15 AM
I like GH but I do agree that BG might be a better idea for doing the same job long term. Let's use GH's experience while we can, we are winning games with him in the team so why change the formula?

greenpaper55
12-09-2016, 08:22 AM
I remaim not entirley convinced by Holt. He does add a different dimension to our game, though I can't say I've seen him beasting the opposition. A tad exagerrated methinks.

He is still carrying weight and given that he is a professional athelete, albeit coming to the end of his career, I can't help feeling that he can get fitter and add a bit more to his game. Early days still and we also have Graham to compete with him for a place, so happy enough at this point.

The same age as Ibrahimovic,

H18 SFR
12-09-2016, 08:27 AM
I agree, Farid could maybe have done that job but it's hard to say for sure. It was clear very early on that he was not going to be available to us and in the next 3 windows Stubbs never tried to replace him. He maybe couldn't see it, I don't know.
This season will feel like teams are not sitting in against us but it will just be that we are stretching them more.

Totally agree re other teams not sitting in against it, perhaps it is because they know Lennon had added a new dimension to our play with regards getting the ball into the box, it looks as though they are trying to press us higher up the park which means players like Shinnie will find space.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-09-2016, 08:44 AM
The same age as Ibrahimovic,

I'm sure we've got players that are the same age as Messi and Neymar, whats your point?

Mikey09
12-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Grant Holt is doing the job he was brought in by Lennon to do, and doing it very well. We're 5 out of 5 and some are questioning the guy?! Cummings is getting more chances because of the effect Holt is having on opposition defences. If Cummings ups his goals to chances ratio we will batter teams. Holt has been a brilliant signing already.

biotech
12-09-2016, 09:51 AM
I feel how Lennon manages/uses Holt, over the season, is a critical issue. He is an important asset to the team but cannot be risked every week.

Stevie Reid
12-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Has missed a few good chances, but what he offers the team has never been in doubt since the Brondby games as far as I'm concerned. Delighted to have him - and I'm sure Jason Cummings is too.

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-09-2016, 10:29 AM
He's been an excellent addition by NL. His link up play is excellent and offers something entirely different to JC (when we had AS & JC up front i felt both wanted to do the same thing at times so clashed) its games like Saturday where i feel he will be of most use to us. Giving the defenders something to constantly think about and keeping them on their toes. Think we will score plenty goals from crosses in to the box (whether it is Holt scoring or teeing someone up from a knock down)

as a side note, what's the development strikers like? if we had a young GOC or similar coming through, learning from someone lik GH is invaluable exsperience at this stage of their career

greenpaper55
12-09-2016, 10:34 AM
I'm sure we've got players that are the same age as Messi and Neymar, whats your point?

I'm sorry you could not work out the reference to age in the post i was referring to ! for your help the point i was trying to make was that age is sometimes not a barrier to continue to play at a decent level, there, is that any help to you ?

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Whats the point in using players like Zlatan in comparison with players playing in the 2nd tier in Scotland?

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Holt is one of the world's best forwards, playing in a team of world class players, and until we get beaten that will continue to be the case :greengrin

In all seriousness, he has clearly added a different dimension to the team, though like a few others I cant honestly say I've seen him give any centre half a roasting, but he clearly gives them something to think about and that gives everybody else room to play.

JDHibs
12-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Said it from the moment we signed him, great addition to our squad.

Bags of experience, plays the holding role very well, great at linking play aswell. We've been crying out for a CF like him for years.

Yes hes 34/35, past his peak but carrying excess weight? Really? 120mins in Brondby and looked the fittest on the park, has played 90 several times this season already. Fitness isnt an issue, he uses that bulk to hold defenders off.

Guaranteed we will score more than we have these past 2 seasons with him in the team, also can guarantee we wont lose half as many silly late goals because he can hold the ball up, which Stokes/Cummings continually failed to do last season which cost us dear against Falkirk most of all, several times.

One of the most important signings we made during the transfer window, having BG aswell is just a bonus as he is great back up.

jacomo
12-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Said it from the moment we signed him, great addition to our squad.

Bags of experience, plays the holding role very well, great at linking play aswell. We've been crying out for a CF like him for years.

Yes hes 34/35, past his peak but carrying excess weight? Really? 120mins in Brondby and looked the fittest on the park, has played 90 several times this season already. Fitness isnt an issue, he uses that bulk to hold defenders off.

Guaranteed we will score more than we have these past 2 seasons with him in the team, also can guarantee we wont lose half as many silly late goals because he can hold the ball up, which Stokes/Cummings continually failed to do last season which cost us dear against Falkirk most of all, several times.

One of the most important signings we made during the transfer window, having BG aswell is just a bonus as he is great back up.

GH is a battler who really, really hates losing. I am sure Lennon signed him for his attitude as well as his abilities. As he said himself, Hibs can be a bit soft at times, or perhaps side tracked into trying to kill teams off and hit with a counter punch.

Jonnyboy
12-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Whats the point in using players like Zlatan in comparison with players playing in the 2nd tier in Scotland?

I think the only comparison being made was one of age. They are both the same age and both still able to play full time football

superfurryhibby
12-09-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm baffled by this view, which I've heard several times before.
Holt played for 120 minutes in hot conditions in Brondby and didn't stop running and chasing from start to finish.
His fitness and stamina are not in question. He's not over mobile, but that's another argument entirely. :wink:

He is carrying a substantial gut. That leads me to think that his body isn't quite the temple it could be. Fair enough he's lasted full games and worked hard, but he could be a bit leaner and do even more? Maybe it's just me but I would like to see a bit more from Holt.

Wilson
12-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Maybe it's just me but I would like to see a bit more from Holt.

Perhaps he could wear a smaller shirt?

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-09-2016, 02:18 PM
I think the only comparison being made was one of age. They are both the same age and both still able to play full time football

It was a pishy point hence why I added Messi and Suarez into the equation.

Jonnyboy
12-09-2016, 02:24 PM
It was a pishy point hence why I added Messi and Suarez into the equation.

Fair play

Greenworld
12-09-2016, 02:33 PM
He is carrying a substantial gut. That leads me to think that his body isn't quite the temple it could be. Fair enough he's lasted full games and worked hard, but he could be a bit leaner and do even more? Maybe it's just me but I would like to see a bit more from Holt.
Holt is making a huge difference to the team...yes he is big..fat no chance!
He runs all day never gives defenders a moments rest...Jason C is getting chances galore many of which are created by the unselfish work of Holt.
Lennon alluded to this on Saturday Jason needs to put more of these chances away and stop fannying around with fancy chips over the keeper ( and bar)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

12-09-2016, 03:02 PM
He's a big guy, a guy that can use his physicality to make life difficult for defenders. My only concern is that he seems knackered after about half an hour.

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2016, 03:53 PM
I thought he sustained that injury at Alloa?

He sustained the achilles injury against Alloa, he already had the knee injury when he signed for us.

greenteam
12-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Totti scored for Roma yesterday at the young age of 39

FitbaFolkKen
12-09-2016, 04:40 PM
I like him, he is deceptively mobile and gets under defenders skin. I reckon he must be a nightmare to play against.

The thing i like most though is that he talks constantly on the park, he is an excellent organiser and as someone else pointed out he clearly doesn't like losing.

Big fan!

Dom'sFirstTouch
12-09-2016, 05:59 PM
I think Holt has been solid if unspectacular so far, much like Hibs really. I think he's fulfilling the role he's being asked to play reasonably effectively. My only concern is that he's unlikely to score a lot, which puts the onus on guys benefitting from his hold up play like Cummings (obviously), but more so midfielders like Shinnie, McGinn etc, to score regularly to make up the potential deficit.

Aldo
12-09-2016, 06:21 PM
I think Holt has been solid if unspectacular so far, much like Hibs really. I think he's fulfilling the role he's being asked to play reasonably effectively. My only concern is that he's unlikely to score a lot, which puts the onus on guys benefitting from his hold up play like Cummings (obviously), but more so midfielders like Shinnie, McGinn etc, to score regularly to make up the potential deficit.

I never expected Holt to score loads and I saw his role as more of a provider and link up man.

Graham will score more than him and I'd be surprised if Holt managed double figures.

It's about the team and not individuals for me.

The Captain....
12-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Holt seems to split opinion, better get used to him tho as the most important person who judges his contribution has shown what he thinks by starting him in almost all of our competitive games.

No criticism of his commitment or effort but I'd like him to get on the scoresheet more often. He's missed some very decent chances and that puts pressure onCummings IMO. To be fair he's not alone in not scoring enough, the rest of the team ( especially midfield) should be chipping in with more. Hopefully Shinnie can help with that.

It's all a little hair splitting tho, overall it's been a very good start and it feels churlish to look for any negatives with a 100% league record so I'll shut up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dom'sFirstTouch
12-09-2016, 06:32 PM
I never expected Holt to score loads and I saw his role as more of a provider and link up man.

Graham will score more than him and I'd be surprised if Holt managed double figures.

It's about the team and not individuals for me.

Agreed. The question is do we have the goals throughout our team? At the start of the season I wasn't sure but after signing Graham and Shinnie I'm much more confident.

Aldo
12-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Agreed. The question is do we have the goals throughout our team? At the start of the season I wasn't sure but after signing Graham and Shinnie I'm much more confident.

Yip but we only need one goal to win (not ideal) but it's the start of the season and I honestly think we will only get stronger!