PDA

View Full Version : Betting on the Hibees in the USA...

California-Hibs
11-09-2016, 05:27 PM
I have a question I was wondering If anyone can help me with? I've looked recently into if I would be able to put some cash on the Hibees/other Scottish teams while here living in the US. I see all the UK based sites state that you must be within the UK in order to use them. I've read suggestions of VPN's being used to get around this, but that this is also a bit dodgy and can get you into a bit of trouble/have your potential winnings removed. I've tried finding a US based betting site that can give me odds on Scottish football, but nothing. Have I missed something? Is there any world friendly sites? Any US sites that I may have missed that anyone could recommend? It's mostly a friend that is asking me about all this but I'm curious about the questions too.

Any help guys?

MilwaukeeHibee
11-09-2016, 05:47 PM
This was probably 10 years ago now but I remember being able to register on bet365 from over here. It was still a bit tricky, because most of the big US banks don't allow transfers to betting sites, but I remember there being an option where you could do it like an online transfer through a service based in the Caribbean or something like that?

California-Hibs
11-09-2016, 06:02 PM
This was probably 10 years ago now but I remember being able to register on bet365 from over here. It was still a bit tricky, because most of the big US banks don't allow transfers to betting sites, but I remember there being an option where you could do it like an online transfer through a service based in the Caribbean or something like that?

Nope, unfortunately bet365 give no option of United States as country of residence.

lucky
11-09-2016, 06:03 PM
I've been able to bet on uk football when in New York through the skybet app.

GreenLake
11-09-2016, 06:08 PM
I have a question I was wondering If anyone can help me with? I've looked recently into if I would be able to put some cash on the Hibees/other Scottish teams while here living in the US. I see all the UK based sites state that you must be within the UK in order to use them. I've read suggestions of VPN's being used to get around this, but that this is also a bit dodgy and can get you into a bit of trouble/have your potential winnings removed. I've tried finding a US based betting site that can give me odds on Scottish football, but nothing. Have I missed something? Is there any world friendly sites? Any US sites that I may have missed that anyone could recommend? It's mostly a friend that is asking me about all this but I'm curious about the questions too.

Any help guys?

It is illegal as far as I know unless you take a trip to Vegas or Reno. However, I have heard rumors there are ways of doing it. I wouldn't provide evidence of what you do or intend to do online. Go to a Monday night football game in a sports bar and ask around - if anyone knows it would be throwball fans. Any winnings you gain, illegal or otherwise are subject to taxes so please remember to fill out a w1099. :wink:

California-Hibs
11-09-2016, 06:10 PM
I've been able to bet on uk football when in New York through the skybet app.

Maybe as your account information reflects that of a UK resident? Again appears that the US is not an option.

California-Hibs
11-09-2016, 06:13 PM
It is illegal as far as I know unless you take a trip to Vegas or Reno. However, I have heard rumors there are ways of doing it. I wouldn't provide evidence of what you do or intend to do online. Go to a Monday night football game in a sports bar and ask around - if anyone knows it would be throwball fans. Any winnings you gain, illegal or otherwise are subject to taxes so please remember to fill out a w1099. :wink:

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a waste of time over here and a complete non starter. I'm not wanting to get into any trouble. Just with some conflicting information online I wanted to get the insights of some on here, and find out if it was indeed legal or illegal. I mean I'm coming across a few US sites that are indeed by all accounts, legal. They do not offer Scottish football though as an option for odds. Other leagues yes, but nae Scottish!

CyberSauzee
11-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking it's a waste of time over here and a complete non starter. I'm not wanting to get into any trouble. Just with some conflicting information online I wanted to get the insights of some on here, and find out if it was indeed legal or illegal. I mean I'm coming across a few US sites that are indeed by all accounts, legal. They do not offer Scottish football though as an option for odds. Other leagues yes, but nae Scottish!

Online gambling is not illegal, but it's up to each state to say yes or no. I think there's only 2 or 3 that allow it currently, Nevada, New Jersey and maybe one or two others. More are following.

The difficulty is with electronic payments to fund gambling accounts for sports books based in the USA. US banks I believe will block these transactions.

What you will find is bookies with licences across the Caribbean are more than happy to take bets from US based customers. Try 5 Dimes or Pinnacle.

GreenLake
11-09-2016, 06:53 PM

Maybe we could PayPal money to Sergey and get him to lay the bets on. :greengrin

If I could bet today it would be that Kaka will score, both teams will score and LA Galaxy will win.

Killiehibbie
11-09-2016, 07:51 PM

Any help guys?Easiest way is to get accounts registered in UK via family or friends and you can access them from US. I could get bets on when I was on holiday.

California-Hibs
11-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Easiest way is to get accounts registered in UK via family or friends and you can access them from US. I could get bets on when I was on holiday.

I could do this, but surely I wouldn't be able to place bets on regularly from the US?

Killiehibbie
12-09-2016, 08:30 AM
I could do this, but surely I wouldn't be able to place bets on regularly from the US?
I was only there for a fortnight so don't know about long term.

TonyStokeprano
12-09-2016, 08:35 AM

just do what I done use a vpn on your phone and change it to Mexico or wherever whilst your in the states, put your bets on then shut down the vpn app when your done

California-Hibs
12-09-2016, 10:56 AM
just do what I done use a vpn on your phone and change it to Mexico or wherever whilst your in the states, put your bets on then shut down the vpn app when your done

Definitely an option. I have a VPN on my phone and also computer. Just a bit hesitant to use it.....not up for being thrown out the country!

KWJ
12-09-2016, 11:43 AM
In Canada I couldn't use my phone to place bets for some reason but could do it at desktop with Willy Hills and B365 no bother.

Not much help I know.

I mind the post office had the sports books for betting which I found pretty bizarre.

Off topic a bit I know but It's weird being back here now and seeing all the betting adverts and the sheer amount of bookies. Need a happy medium.

NZ Green
13-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Not 100% sure how it works but would setting up a Paypal account mask your real bank accounts country of origin? If so there's a bunch of betting sites that will pay into Paypal.

http://www.cheekypunter.com/deposit/paypal-betting-sites/

There's a list of betting sites that accept pay pal deposits anyway.

Edit: Also not sure a VPN would work as your bank details would still be identified as US.

California-Hibs
13-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Not 100% sure how it works but would setting up a Paypal account mask your real bank accounts country of origin? If so there's a bunch of betting sites that will pay into Paypal.

http://www.cheekypunter.com/deposit/paypal-betting-sites/

There's a list of betting sites that accept pay pal deposits anyway.

Edit: Also not sure a VPN would work as your bank details would still be identified as US.

I still have an active RBS account..

NZ Green
13-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I still have an active RBS account..
Ahhh, I see, I thought your problem was you didnt have a UK account. Im sure a VPN would be fine then haha.

California-Hibs
14-09-2016, 01:52 AM
Ahhh, I see, I thought your problem was you didnt have a UK account. Im sure a VPN would be fine then haha.

Think I've decided against it. Read a few things that scared me over on this end if caught not compiling with the strict online gambling laws here in the US regarding how Americans can punish a Green Card holders. Not worth the 'risk', even though the likelihood is the VPN would just first be dectected by bet365 then the account locked and that would be that.

Just not up for going through all the uploading of passport/IDs etc knowing that it isn't properly complying with the US (ridiculous) gambling laws. Yet I could pop over to the 7/11 right now and purchase a sctrach card/lottery ticket...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll have to wait till I'm next back over in Scotland.