PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Hibs player scores at Paralympics

G B Young
09-09-2016, 07:01 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/ex-hibs-kid-david-porcher-scores-for-team-gb-at-paralympics-1-4225122

Anyone know/remember this guy?

lucky
09-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Not disputing the players disabilities but in the report it says one of guys currently plays for Chester in the Conference. Not sure how the classification is done for the football but it does seem a little odd.

Salt N Sauzee
09-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Not disputing the players disabilities but in the report it says one of guys currently plays for Chester in the Conference. Not sure how the classification is done for the football but it does seem a little odd.

It's for players with Cerebral Palsy & Brain Injuries.

lucky
09-09-2016, 07:29 AM
I read the brain injury part but not sure playing semi pro/full time at Chester seems right compared to someone with cerebral palsy . But good luck to them all

Greencore
09-09-2016, 07:59 AM
They could have a mild form of cerebal palsy ?

lord bunberry
09-09-2016, 08:18 AM
They could have a mild form of cerebal palsy ?
:agree: Every event is broken up into different severities of a condition.

J-C
09-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Cha 4 were talking to an ex Paralympic swimmer who had cerebral palsy and you'd never know, an occasional face twitch but that was it.
I find the whole classification thing over complicated.

worcesterhibby
09-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Cha 4 were talking to an ex Paralympic swimmer who had cerebral palsy and you'd never know, an occasional face twitch but that was it.
I find the whole classification thing over complicated.

I think the paralympics are both wonderful and absolute nonsense at the same time. The idea that people with various physical and mental handicaps (and I use the word intentionally) get to show how the can overcome those issues and become fine sportsmen and women is wonderful. The fact that as ever we seem to concentrate on the winners..is just stupid.

Despite the complicated and confusing classification system, there are still blokes with one leg running against blokes with no legs. There are so many levels of physical and mental handicap that it is impossible for many of the events to be fair. If ever there was an event that should be about the taking part, rather than the winning then it's the paralympics.

Oh and it does my HEED in that we are forced to use the word disabled rather than handicapped.

If you disable something..you stop it working completely. Try asking a garage to disable your car alarm..once they have done it..it won't be harder to get it to work..it will be impossible. Having only one leg handicaps your ability to travel over 400m fast..it doesn't disable it.

Whoever it was that decided that calling people "disabled" was nicer than calling people "handicapped" is an arse and doesn't understand the english language.

Peevemor
09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
I think the paralympics are both wonderful and absolute nonsense at the same time. The idea that people with various physical and mental handicaps (and I use the word intentionally) get to show how the can overcome those issues and become fine sportsmen and women is wonderful. The fact that as ever we seem to concentrate on the winners..is just stupid.

Despite the complicated and confusing classification system, there are still blokes with one leg running against blokes with no legs. There are so many levels of physical and mental handicap that it is impossible for many of the events to be fair. If ever there was an event that should be about the taking part, rather than the winning then it's the paralympics.

Oh and it does my HEED in that we are forced to use the word disabled rather than handicapped.

If you disable something..you stop it working completely. Try asking a garage to disable your car alarm..once they have done it..it won't be harder to get it to work..it will be impossible. Having only one leg handicaps your ability to travel over 400m fast..it doesn't disable it.

Whoever it was that decided that calling people "disabled" was nicer than calling people "handicapped" is an arse and doesn't understand the english language.

I agree with all of that.

Scouse Hibee
09-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Is it not used due to the term disability.

Bamba
09-09-2016, 05:53 PM

It was probably the disabled community. Don't you think it's their right to decide which terms they want to be referred to as?

Scouse Hibee
09-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Correct

worcesterhibby
09-09-2016, 07:02 PM
It was probably the disabled community. Don't you think it's their right to decide which terms they want to be referred to as?

they can choose to call themselves whatever they want. I can choose to point out that it's a bad use of language and doesn't actually make sense.

But like I said they main thing is that they are inspirational and show us just what humans can achieve even when they are handicapped by physical or mental issues. Fair play to them.

Scouse Hibee
09-09-2016, 07:31 PM
they can choose to call themselves whatever they want. I can choose to point out that it's a bad use of language and doesn't actually make sense.

But like I said they main thing is that they are inspirational and show us just what humans can achieve even when they are handicapped by physical or mental issues. Fair play to them.

I'm a Hibs fan,do I have rotate very quickly and cool people down.

Corstorphine Hibby
09-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Correct

How do you know that's correct?

SunshineOnLeith
09-09-2016, 09:12 PM

Do you do the same thing when someone of African origin describes themselves as black?

"Actually, I think you'll find your skin is more of a dark brown."

Pete
09-09-2016, 09:34 PM

I agree with a lot of that but you run the risk of it being patronising if everyone gets similar recognition. It's a competition and the winners take it all, just like the Olympics and I'm sure the Paralympic athletes wouldn't have it any other way.

Saying that, it does make you think when you see such a range of disabilities. I've just watched two Chinese guys swimming and the winner only won because he had stumps to touch the end of the pool while the other guy with no arms at all.

AJWisme
09-09-2016, 09:38 PM

Personally believe it's patronising to think anyone entering a competition of that magnitude, with a registered disability or not, would be happy with the world only seeing them as brave to take part.

These are athletes. They want to win. Seems pretty simple.

FranckSuzy
09-09-2016, 10:39 PM

FWIW, 'handicapped' came from the saying 'cap in hand', so maybe that's why those less able-bodied are not referred to as such :aok: I agree with the rest of your post though, BTW :greengrin

Centre Hawf
10-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Some of the stories are absolutely inspirational in the Paralympics. Puts some of us to shame who take things for granted.

As for the discussion about the right term to use? Yeah... I'm not touching that one.

Sir David Gray
10-09-2016, 12:39 AM

I personally find the bit in bold extremely patronising. Try telling that to the hundreds of athletes who have turned up in Rio looking for a medal after spending the last four years training six days a week and making many sacrifices in doing so.

It's absolutely not about the taking part, trust me. These guys and girls are full time athletes and work just as hard as Jason Kenny and Mo Farah.

worcesterhibby
10-09-2016, 04:39 AM
Do you do the same thing when someone of African origin describes themselves as black?

"Actually, I think you'll find your skin is more of a dark brown."

actually if they were a friend I probably would just to wind them up ! But no of course not and I wouldn't call a disabled person handicapped or argue the toss with them on it. I understand that it's an emotive subject and I would hate to insult or upset someone, I just mentioned it here as a place where debates like this can be aired in a sensible way.

worcesterhibby
10-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Personally believe it's patronising to think anyone entering a competition of that magnitude, with a registered disability or not, would be happy with the world only seeing them as brave to take part.

These are athletes. They want to win. Seems pretty simple.

i didn't say they were brave I said they proved they were fine sportsmen and women.

worcesterhibby
10-09-2016, 04:44 AM
I personally find the bit in bold extremely patronising. Try telling that to the hundreds of athletes who have turned up in Rio looking for a medal after spending the last four years training six days a week and making many sacrifices in doing so.

It's absolutely not about the taking part, trust me. These guys and girls are full time athletes and work just as hard as Jason Kenny and Mo Farah.

i don't for a second expect the athletes to train for four years, just to take part. I fully understand that they are there to win. It's the media coverage I was talking about.

J-C
10-09-2016, 06:21 AM
FWIW, 'handicapped' came from the saying 'cap in hand', so maybe that's why those less able-bodied are not referred to as such :aok: I agree with the rest of your post though, BTW :greengrin

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/12/origin-word-handicap/

Not quite what you thought Suzy, one of those myths.

Scouse Hibee
10-09-2016, 07:20 AM
How do you know that's correct?

Because I done some research.

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2016, 07:21 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/ex-hibs-kid-david-porcher-scores-for-team-gb-at-paralympics-1-4225122

Anyone know/remember this guy?

Yes, he always had an eye for goal.

A born porcher.

High-On-Hibs
10-09-2016, 07:34 AM
The Paralympics is about winning and why shouldn't it be? The Olympics isn't about "taking part". Even disabled/handicapped people are in it to win it. Having something that makes your life more challenging, doesn't stop you from still wanting to be the best you can be.

Sir David Gray
10-09-2016, 07:52 AM
The Paralympics is about winning and why shouldn't it be? The Olympics isn't about "taking part". Even disabled/handicapped people are in it to win it. Having something that makes your life more challenging, doesn't stop you from still wanting to be the best you can be.

:top marks

Corstorphine Hibby
10-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Because I done some research.

I'm intrigued. Any links or references you care to share ?

FranckSuzy
10-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Not quite what you thought Suzy, one of those myths.

That's annoying as I assumed that the University I attended, and the Lecturer (who has a PhD) who included this 'fact' in her teaching, would have researched the meaning more thoroughly but I bow to your superior knowledge :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
10-09-2016, 09:30 AM
I'm intrigued. Any links or references you care to share ?

Have a look at stuff on the net relating to disability rights movement and various other references.

Allant1981
10-09-2016, 10:37 AM
You cant help but be amazed at the athletes competing, my nephew was born with half a left arm and half a right with a small hand( 3 digits) and he amazes me at the things he can do despite the parts of his arms missing. He loves playing football and plays with able bodied kids and doesnt put him off in the slightest, hopefully one day we will see him playing a sport at the highest level

jacomo
10-09-2016, 10:49 AM
actually if they were a friend I probably would just to wind them up ! But no of course not and I wouldn't call a disabled person handicapped or argue the toss with them on it. I understand that it's an emotive subject and I would hate to insult or upset someone, I just mentioned it here as a place where debates like this can be aired in a sensible way.

I think you've explained yourself very well.

The row over the classification system in the run up to the Paralympics highlighted the inherent contradictions in this competition. Ultimately, an athlete's medal chances depend on a sometimes arbitrary assessment of their 'impairment' as their own talents and preparation.

J-C
10-09-2016, 06:27 PM
That's annoying as I assumed that the University I attended, and the Lecturer (who has a PhD) who included this 'fact' in her teaching, would have researched the meaning more thoroughly but I bow to your superior knowledge :greengrin

Ah the powers of Google:)