PDA

View Full Version : Nicky Butt having a go at new U23 league

J-C
08-09-2016, 10:27 AM
As it says in the title, good interview and knows his stuff.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nicky-butt-reveals-high-hopes-8791509

"The under-23s league is crap," he says. "If you're not in the first team by 20, you're not going to make the first team, so why have it?

Ozyhibby
08-09-2016, 10:38 AM
He's right. If you are not a first team regular by the time your 20, you need to move clubs to a level where you can play in the first team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
08-09-2016, 10:50 AM
He's right. If you are not a first team regular by the time your 20, you need to move clubs to a level where you can play in the first team.

Derek Riordan had only played 6 league games for Hibs before he turned 20. We should have punted him to ICT when we head the chance to swap him for Bobby Mann.

Harry Kane had played 1 league game for Tottenham when he turned 20 and only 11 league games by 21.

steakbake
08-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Derek Riordan had only played 6 league games for Hibs before he turned 20. We should have punted him to ICT when we head the chance to swap him for Bobby Mann.

Harry Kane had played 1 league game for Tottenham when he turned 20 and only 11 league games by 21.

There'll always be exceptions, but it probably doesn't disprove the rule.

Ozyhibby
08-09-2016, 11:06 AM

And at 20 Deek became a first team regular.

Brightside
08-09-2016, 11:12 AM
As it says in the title, good interview and knows his stuff.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nicky-butt-reveals-high-hopes-8791509

"The under-23s league is crap," he says. "If you're not in the first team by 20, you're not going to make the first team, so why have it?

He's spot on. I like that he has gymnastics and parkour guys in for the youth training too. Im constantly amazed how many kids still have limited co-ordination even at 12 years old.

J-C
08-09-2016, 11:18 AM

What he is saying is that by 20 you should be at least in the 1st team squad not faffing around in an U23 league. It used to be youth team-reserve team-1st team, TBH our development league isn't producing bundles of players this past few years.

If you haven't made your mark by 20-21, then time to move on, we've seen Stanton given umpteen chances, Handling too( when fit ), same age as McGinn and Fyvie but miles behind the in their development.

Danderhall Hibs
08-09-2016, 11:24 AM
What he is saying is that by 20 you should be at least in the 1st team squad not faffing around in an U23 league. It used to be youth team-reserve team-1st team, TBH our development league isn't producing bundles of players this past few years.

If you haven't made your mark by 20-21, then time to move on, we've seen Stanton given umpteen chances, Handling too( when fit ), same age as McGinn and Fyvie but miles behind the in their development.

Absolutely right.

Future17
08-09-2016, 02:03 PM
I think the Under-23 league is just another step towards the "big" clubs consolidating their position, with the national team set to suffer a result. Fast forward to 2022 and they'll be having the same debates about where it all went wrong.

greenteam
08-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Rushford destroyed myths about young people not being good enough for first team football. In fact..now this is brilliant. Scored on his first team debut. Scored on his first champions League debut. Scored on his full England debut and scored a hat trick on his U-21 debut..
Personally think hes gone backwards in his career lol.
Never have I heard that before btw.
Maybe Murray can emulate that fete..heres hoping

Future17
08-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Rushford destroyed myths about young people not being good enough for first team football. In fact..now this is brilliant. Scored on his first team debut. Scored on his first champions League debut. Scored on his full England debut and scored a hat trick on his U-21 debut..
Personally think hes gone backwards in his career lol.
Never have I heard that before btw.
Maybe Murray can emulate that fete..heres hoping

Rashford has never played in the Champions League. He scored on his debut in the Europa League though.

greenteam
08-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Good point...well spotted

snooky
08-09-2016, 03:32 PM
How old was Ivan when he signed?
What age is Leicester's Vardy?

Coults1875
08-09-2016, 03:34 PM

24?

Just Jimmy
08-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Ivan moved up when he signed for Hibs though? He was playing for Linfield at the point we're talking about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
08-09-2016, 03:52 PM
It was ok for Nicky Butt he wasn't having to compete with numerous foreign players brought in for mega million fees.20 year old English lads will have to be world class to get anywhere near an EPL first team place in the future.

greenlex
08-09-2016, 03:57 PM
It was ok for Nicky Butt he wasn't having to compete with numerous foreign players brought in for mega million fees.20 year old English lads will have to be world class to get anywhere near an EPL first team place in the future.
Pretty much this. Young players pathways are being blocked by expensive forgein players. This is how Englands national side is on the slide much like ours. Same root problem. If you arent around the first team by 20 its time to drop a level. Players might mature later but they would then be able to move up the levels again.

greenteam
08-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Pretty much this. Young players pathways are being blocked by expensive forgein players. This is how Englands national side is on the slide much like ours. Same root problem. If you arent around the first team by 20 its time to drop a level. Players might mature later but they would then be able to move up the levels again.

Agree

Ozyhibby
08-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Exactly. They learned their trade by playing first team football at smaller clubs. They weren't sitting in the reserves patiently waiting for their chance. They went out and found first team football.

greenteam
08-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Exactly. They learned their trade by playing first team football at smaller clubs. They weren't sitting in the reserves patiently waiting for their chance. They went out and found first team football.

Pretty much the way it is...Iceland are an example of the way forward

J-C
08-09-2016, 04:50 PM

I don't think we can say he was lucky because there was less foreign players as this isn't the point he's making, if a player is good enough he'll be in the 1st team come what may depending on the level that particular team is playing at.

Rashford is a prime example, playing 1st team at 18, remember he's not going to be playing every game but he's in and around the squad for the experience. Lingard went out on loan to gain the experience and came back almost straight into the team.

We do the same with our better quality youngsters, send them on loan to get experience and like Martin they hopefully come back better and ready to push for a place in the team.

We need to get a proper reserve team back again where youngsters can play against men and more experienced players, it should never have been scrapped.

PPZPOL
08-09-2016, 04:57 PM

Maybe the EPL should stop chasing the TV money and other revenue streams and began to look closer to home on how to develop English/homegrown talent. Sky's fixation with how much money the EPL has spent is embarrassing,worn like a badge of honour. Then when I think I've got away from all that whilst listening to Talk sport during week in car none other than Jim White pops up on it (rage) and is cooing about how the next £200M player is around the corner and how ml amazing that is. Total BS!

silverhibee
08-09-2016, 05:36 PM

The ICT thing is a myth, even BW admitted it in a interview a while back.

And Derek became a regular in the team at 20.

CapitalGreen
08-09-2016, 06:20 PM
And Derek became a regular in the team at 20.

Exactly

ancient hibee
08-09-2016, 08:11 PM
I don't think we can say he was lucky because there was less foreign players as this isn't the point he's making, if a player is good enough he'll be in the 1st team come what may depending on the level that particular team is playing at.

Rashford is a prime example, playing 1st team at 18, remember he's not going to be playing every game but he's in and around the squad for the experience. Lingard went out on loan to gain the experience and came back almost straight into the team.

We do the same with our better quality youngsters, send them on loan to get experience and like Martin they hopefully come back better and ready to push for a place in the team.

We need to get a proper reserve team back again where youngsters can play against men and more experienced players, it should never have been scrapped.

Rashford is clearly an exception and is now an international player.Whether he'll be happy on the fringes remains to be seen.The point is that EPL and Champioship clubs are not going to keep expensive players on the bench while giving young players game time to see if they're good enough.I think Rashford only got on the field because of an injury in the warm up.Always thought that scrapping reserve teams was a huge mistake and not the financial godsend that it was thought to be.

Iggy Pope
08-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Ivan moved up when he signed for Hibs though? He was playing for Linfield at the point we're talking about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nah. We took him from a step lower than Linfield. If there is such a thing. Well, there's probably two lower such things,

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-09-2016, 09:20 PM
There's also a good article on sky sports news about something butty has done at United's development squad and bringing in circus acts to get the players engaging more with their body.

Culture has changed so much over the years, even since I was a kid (and im only 27) where nowadays it's so difficult to get kids outside and playing.

He's got that modern/old school vibe about him (not the same old school Dinosaur methods butcher brought) but I'll be interested to see how his career pans out as a football coach

J-C
08-09-2016, 10:21 PM
There's also a good article on sky sports news about something butty has done at United's development squad and bringing in circus acts to get the players engaging more with their body.

Culture has changed so much over the years, even since I was a kid (and im only 27) where nowadays it's so difficult to get kids outside and playing.

He's got that modern/old school vibe about him (not the same old school Dinosaur methods butcher brought) but I'll be interested to see how his career pans out as a football coach

Acrobats and parkour runners, trying to add to their dexterity and all round mobility.

Hibernian Verse
09-09-2016, 11:32 AM
He's spot on. I like that he has gymnastics and parkour guys in for the youth training too. Im constantly amazed how many kids still have limited co-ordination even at 12 years old.
There was a study done that anyone that can kick a football well or catch/pass a rugby ball will be more successful at uni socially.

I'll find it if anyone thinks I'm talking *****.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

_hucks_
09-09-2016, 11:39 AM
There was a study done that anyone that can kick a football well or catch/pass a rugby ball will be more successful at uni socially.

I don't think you're taking **** but would be interested to read about it if it's not too difficult to dig out?

lyonhibs
09-09-2016, 02:21 PM

I was immensely successful socially at Uni and I'm great at football, so I'd say the above is empirically sound :greengrin