PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dean Saunders story about Brian Clough is rubbished

jacomo
07-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Dean Saunders has been dining out on his anecdote about the time Brian Clough tried to sign him.

According to this, it's about as true as Vlad's claim that he would sign World Cup stars for the Yams.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/brian-clough-dean-saunders-nottingham-forest

wpj
07-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Dean Saunders has been dining out on his anecdote about the time Brian Clough tried to sign him.

According to this, it's about as true as Vlad's claim that he would sign World Cup stars for the Yams.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/brian-clough-dean-saunders-nottingham-forest

Interesting and if all is said and true Saunders is dining out on a pretty sad lie

Iain G
07-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Interesting and if all is said and true Saunders is dining out on a pretty sad lie

Funny my impression of Saunders from the Euro's coverage was he was an arrogant tosser, seems to be accurate :agree:

O'Rourke3
07-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Ah, calling him out as a fat cheat on that thread's had further proof then :greengrin

lucky
07-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Most after dinner speeches are embellished for entertainment value. But going on Talkpish is taking it to a new low. That radio station is the sun of the airwaves

vuefrom1875
07-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Funny my impression of Saunders from the Euro's coverage was he was an arrogant tosser, seems to be accurate :agree:

Spot on buddy!

snooky
07-09-2016, 07:46 PM

I wouldn't say that's the saddest lie I've heard said about Brian Clough but it must be in the top one. :wink:

Good old Cloughie - one of the game's great managers. :aok:

cabbageandribs1875
25-09-2016, 01:58 AM
and talking about brian clough, and notts forest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37453762

European football chiefs were given evidence of one of football's greatest corruption scandals years before taking action, it has been claimed.
In 1984 the president of Belgian side Anderlecht bribed the referee ahead of their Uefa Cup semi-final victory over Nottingham Forest.

and i bet bribery is rampant nowadays :agree: with Uefa being chief crooks

Mr White
25-09-2016, 06:48 AM

European football chiefs were given evidence of one of football's greatest corruption scandals years before taking action, it has been claimed.
In 1984 the president of Belgian side Anderlecht bribed the referee ahead of their Uefa Cup semi-final victory over Nottingham Forest.

Makes you wonder if they bought the ref that gave them a penalty in the first leg at easter road in 92. There were some questionable decisions that night. And according to this report uefa knew all about the 84 bribe by 92 so they shouldn't even have been in the competition that year :grr:

Keith_M
25-09-2016, 07:05 AM
It's not a lie, it's a slightly embellished version of actual events

...like the media reporting of the Cup Final

:wink:

heretoday
25-09-2016, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't say that's the saddest lie I've heard said about Brian Clough but it must be in the top one. :wink:

Good old Cloughie - one of the game's great managers. :aok:

Hear hear. Saunders is pondlife in comparison.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2016, 10:26 AM
You would think that Clough was some kind of great grandad to folk on here, he was a very good manager who also like to take a few brown envelopes as payment ( tax free just like sevco and herts) whenever a transfer was imminent.

He's not just this big cuddly character everyone seems to want to portray him as.

superfurryhibby
25-09-2016, 10:38 AM
You would think that Clough was some kind of great grandad to folk on here, he was a very good manager who also like to take a few brown envelopes as payment ( tax free just like sevco and herts) whenever a transfer was imminent.

He's not just this big cuddly character everyone seems to want to portray him as.

He was one of the greatest managers ever seen in English football. The legend may have shone less bright in his latter years and he was no doubt far from being whiter than white, but that doesn't mean that there is licence to invent what you like about someone, especially someone who can't defend themselves.

The story told by Saunders is bizarre and would be comedy- tragic if true. Still a bit cheap to be telling it, but if entirely made up then he is a classless fud and hopefully will be subject to similar revelations about his own none too clean lifestyle and character.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2016, 11:21 AM
He was one of the greatest managers ever seen in English football. The legend may have shone less bright in his latter years and he was no doubt far from being whiter than white, but that doesn't mean that there is licence to invent what you like about someone, especially someone who can't defend themselves.

The story told by Saunders is bizarre and would be comedy- tragic if true. Still a bit cheap to be telling it, but if entirely made up then he is a classless fud and hopefully will be subject to similar revelations about his own none too clean lifestyle and character.

He was a great manager, one of the best ever in my opinion. He was also not averse to putting people down or some would say belittle folk?

I see someone called Saunders pondlife, perhaps he is although i doubt it. The story might not be 100% true, but i'd guess there is some truth in it?

I do find it funny how the bungs thing seems to get completely ignored as if well it was cuddly old Brian, yet others who have done it have rightly been castigated? :confused:

But woe betide anyone who makes a story up or maybe even just enhance a story, that just makes you pondlife?

cabbageandribs1875
25-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Makes you wonder if they bought the ref that gave them a penalty in the first leg at easter road in 92. There were some questionable decisions that night. And according to this report uefa knew all about the 84 bribe by 92 so they shouldn't even have been in the competition that year :grr:

THAT penalty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znkp0n7iOh0 1min 18 secs in

superfurryhibby
25-09-2016, 12:30 PM
He was a great manager, one of the best ever in my opinion. He was also not averse to putting people down or some would say belittle folk?

I see someone called Saunders pondlife, perhaps he is although i doubt it. The story might not be 100% true, but i'd guess there is some truth in it?

I do find it funny how the bungs thing seems to get completely ignored as if well it was cuddly old Brian, yet others who have done it have rightly been castigated? :confused:

But woe betide anyone who makes a story up or maybe even just enhance a story, that just makes you pondlife?

Sure genius and maverick personality often come hand in hand. Clough was a flawed diamond. He divided opinion and did things his way. He also inspired others to achieve in a way that places him in the highest echelons of insoirational managers. He was also arrogant, divisive and many other things.

Bungs etc, I suspect that many of his managerial peers were up to their eyes in these issues. The tradition stretches into the modern era, Fergie and Redknapp are a few who have had suspicions raised. Still doesn't make it OK to do what Saunders did, I wonder if Deano is so forthcoming about himself?

jacomo
25-09-2016, 07:40 PM

Plenty of managers working today are taking wee kickbacks where they can. The game is bent and probably has been since it went pro.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Plenty of managers working today are taking wee kickbacks where they can. The game is bent and probably has been since it went pro.

And there's plenty of players telling stories that might not be 100% true, i know which one is worse in my book, and its not Saunders.

jacomo
25-09-2016, 08:43 PM
And there's plenty of players telling stories that might not be 100% true, i know which one is worse in my book, and its not Saunders.

Can't it be that both taking bungs and making money out of lying about dead people is pretty deplorable?

Cloughie obviously a great manager and big character, but he had big flaws too. Not ignoring that or pretending otherwise.

But it sounds as if Saunders wee tale is barely 20% true.

Scouse Hibee
25-09-2016, 08:49 PM
The after dinner circuit is littered with ex pros,refs,agents etc all doing the same. Why the outrage against Saunders?

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Can't it be that both taking bungs and making money out of lying about dead people is pretty deplorable?

Cloughie obviously a great manager and big character, but he had big flaws too. Not ignoring that or pretending otherwise.

But it sounds as if Saunders wee tale is barely 20% true.

I have no idea what the percentage of truth in that story is, it all depends on who you believe i suppose?

Clough did not seem to bother his erse when he was belittling people, i'm pretty sure it would be water off a ducks back, just like when he ignored all the bung accusations.

Thicker skin than a rhino did our cuddly clough.

jacomo
25-09-2016, 08:53 PM
The after dinner circuit is littered with ex pros,refs,agents etc all doing the same. Why the outrage against Saunders?

Why not? If there are other ex pros fattening up their pension by talking pish, call them out too.

Scouse Hibee
25-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Why not? If there are other ex pros fattening up their pension by talking pish, call them out too.

Are you serious? Half the stories you hear have clearly been embellished to make them more interesting to the audience.

jacomo
25-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Are you serious? Half the stories you hear have clearly been embellished to make them more interesting to the audience.

Well I don't really go to these kind of events so I wouldn't know. Each to their own I guess.

basehibby
25-09-2016, 10:59 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it's been an ever present through all the time I've watched football - quote from the article:

"Forest goalkeeper Hans van Breukelen said: "For me it was building up that the referee was cheating. "All the 50-50 balls around their 18 yard box, he blew the whistle and gave a free kick to Anderlecht."

I've seen this kind of thing going on many times over the piece and it can and does affect the outcome of games - both in Europe AND domestically. OK sometimes it could just be very poor refereeing but I think it's naive to think that all Scottish refs are and always have been as clean as a whistle (pun alert) - bribes could come from betting syndicates and/or agents seeking to ensure certain sides enjoy success. All speculation on my part of course, but some of the refereeing performances I've seen over the years have really made me wonder.