PDA

View Full Version : Scotland U21s

Hibby Bairn
06-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Currently losing 4-0 to Ukraine. Match almost finished. Cummings was a sub.

U17s lost 4-0 to Spain.

Ouch. Another nail in the pro youth coffin.

cabbageandribs1875
06-09-2016, 05:47 PM
something not quite right with scottish football(shockerooni), hopefully the bigwigs finally realise before we end up in pot 6 along with the san marino's/Azerbaijans in the near future

J-C
06-09-2016, 06:18 PM
There's some good U21 players out there, unfortunately Ricky Sbragia is the head coach, the same guy that said Jack Harper was too wee to play up top and in his only senior management role had a 23.08% win ratio at Sunderland.

Golden Bear
06-09-2016, 06:38 PM
It's even more worrying when we have so few players involved in these underage squads!

mjhibby
06-09-2016, 06:55 PM
It's even more worrying when we have so few players involved in these underage squads!

Wouldn't be too worried about it. The scotland set up seem to want grafters and one up front. Only want a hibs player to play for scotland so to boost his value. Youths have been revamped and will take a few years till we see the next golden generation. Fraser Murray crane etc are coming through so hopefully we will see more hibs youngsters making it to the first team.

Borderhibbie76
06-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Did Cummings get on?? Couldn't believe he was played as lone striker on Friday...that Sbragia is clueless

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

easty
06-09-2016, 07:29 PM
There's some good U21 players out there, unfortunately Ricky Sbragia is the head coach, the same guy that said Jack Harper was too wee to play up top and in his only senior management role had a 23.08% win ratio at Sunderland.

We should definitely get rid of Sbragia, and his comments about Harper at the time were ridiculous.

To go off on a tangent though, Harpers no exactly went on to prove he was wrong to leave him out. Dunno if he had injury problems last season but doesn't look like he played for Brighton at all. 20 year old now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2016, 07:39 PM
As long as Jason is coming back fit I couldnae give a donald!

Billy Whizz
06-09-2016, 07:58 PM

What's Jack Harper doing now

Brightside
06-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Currently losing 4-0 to Ukraine. Match almost finished. Cummings was a sub.

U17s lost 4-0 to Spain.

Ouch. Another nail in the pro youth coffin.

I actually forgot it was on but I'm sure the result is the fault of the fans having no believe in the anti football we are currently playing.

Brightside
06-09-2016, 08:06 PM
what channel is it on?

Radium
06-09-2016, 08:19 PM
We should definitely get rid of Sbragia, and his comments about Harper at the time were ridiculous.

To go off on a tangent though, Harpers no exactly went on to prove he was wrong to leave him out. Dunno if he had injury problems last season but doesn't look like he played for Brighton at all. 20 year old now.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160906/559eb4177ccd738df162a451defaa9ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
06-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Good. Scott Gemill will move up i assume.

G B Young
06-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Wouldn't be too worried about it. The scotland set up seem to want grafters and one up front. Only want a hibs player to play for scotland so to boost his value. Youths have been revamped and will take a few years till we see the next golden generation. Fraser Murray crane etc are coming through so hopefully we will see more hibs youngsters making it to the first team.

Do you mean the next Hibs golden generation? I'm struggling to think of a time when the Scotland football team had a golden generation.

There do certainly appear to be one or two young guys coming through at Hibs now after a few years when we've seen very few make it in the first team.

Billy Whizz
06-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Do you mean the next Hibs golden generation? I'm struggling to think of a time when the Scotland football team had a golden generation.

There do certainly appear to be one or two young guys coming through at Hibs now after a few years when we've seen very few make it in the first team.

Spoke to George Craig at East Mains a few weeks ago, he said we've got a few promising ones coming through

theonlywayisup
06-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Spoke to George Craig at East Mains a few weeks ago, he said we've got a few promising ones coming through

Well......he's obviously going to say that!!!

J-C
06-09-2016, 11:23 PM
What's Jack Harper doing now

At Brighton but was out injured for 6 months when he joined last year, looking to push on this season.

Boyle89
06-09-2016, 11:37 PM

Thank god!

GloryGlory
07-09-2016, 07:40 AM

At the age group levels all the players are "promising", otherwise they wouldn't be playing for Hibs or any other pro club. Doesn't mean all or any of them will make it.

offshorehibby
07-09-2016, 09:02 AM
The @ScottishFA have confirmed Scot Gemmill will take over charge of the Scotland U21s from Ricky Sbragia.

Brightside
07-09-2016, 09:21 AM
The @ScottishFA have confirmed Scot Gemmill will take over charge of the Scotland U21s from Ricky Sbragia.

And confirmed that Ricky will move into a role that also includes Coach education... you couldn't make it up.

J-C
07-09-2016, 09:23 AM

Good appointment, young up and coming coach who was mentioned about our job and not many people didn't want him but our problems run deeper than just coaching, our whole set up from bottom to top needs looked at.

hibee-boys
07-09-2016, 09:32 AM
At the age group levels all the players are "promising", otherwise they wouldn't be playing for Hibs or any other pro club. Doesn't mean all or any of them will make it.

Yip, seems a while since any of our promising youngsters challenged for a first team place. Perhaps the golden generation was a flash in the pan!

Brightside
07-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Yip, seems a while since any of your promising youngsters challenged for a first team place. Perhaps the golden generation was a flash in the pan!

Calum Crane, Scott Martin both more than able to step in if required.

Smartie
07-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Yip, seems a while since any of your promising youngsters challenged for a first team place. Perhaps the golden generation was a flash in the pan!

There's been a steady trickle.

Stevenson's been around for a while now. Hanlon, Forster and Wotherspoon came through a bit after him. I still think we can lay claim to Cummings. As pointed out above, Crane and Martin both look like good prospects and are the next likely ones to come through.

You could include Harris, Handling and Stanton in there too who have "challenged" for places if never really secured them.

I don't think we can ask for much more than that really. A golden generation is something you're unlikely to be blessed with very often so we've really not done too badly since ours, all things considered.

offshorehibby
07-09-2016, 09:58 AM
And confirmed that Ricky will move into a role that also includes Coach education... you couldn't make it up.

Was he not doing some sort of role like that prior to taking over the U21's

Good appointment, young up and coming coach who was mentioned about our job and not many people didn't want him but our problems run deeper than just coaching, our whole set up from bottom to top needs looked at.

So i believe along with Ian Cathro, i believe.

Hibby Bairn
07-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Calum Crane, Scott Martin both more than able to step in if required.

Rather than "stepping in" why are we not raising the bar in terms of player development expectations. Why should our player development criteria not be "players capable of playing at European level, English Premiership level or International level".

Why isn't that criteria set for every top Scottish Football Club and as an ambition of SFA? Maybe it is?

Either way we (Hibs and Scottish Football) are not doing it.

JDHibs
07-09-2016, 10:27 AM
There is a massive bias towards the old firm at Youth level at it shows.

U17s Hamilton vs Rangers, Hamilton won the game 4-0.

1 Hamilton player made the squad, 4 Rangers players.

SFA dont care about any other teams unless they are forced to take notice. Always will be the same and the national set ups will always suffer.

Smartie
07-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Also, in defence of the Scotland u21s and our concerns about the game going forward - there were a few players who were eligible to play for the u21s who were in the main squad.

There was a smattering of youth and a few fresh faces in the senior squad - Burke played well, Paterson got a first competitive cap and it is good to see McGinn and Tierney in there too.

I'd rather they were making an impact in the senior squad than helping the u21s to good results.

Hibby Bairn
07-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Also, in defence of the Scotland u21s and our concerns about the game going forward - there were a few players who were eligible to play for the u21s who were in the main squad.

There was a smattering of youth and a few fresh faces in the senior squad - Burke played well, Paterson got a first competitive cap and it is good to see McGinn and Tierney in there too.

I'd rather they were making an impact in the senior squad than helping the u21s to good results.

That's a fair comment. :agree:

ancient hibee
07-09-2016, 01:54 PM

I would have thought any recent Sunderland manager winning nearly 1 in 4 would have been hailed as the Messiah.