PDA

View Full Version : David Gray's Contract

Onion
06-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Just read that Sir David is out of contract at end of the season.

Can we do better ? :greengrin

Big_Franck
06-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Just read that Sir David is out of contract at end of the season.

Can we do better ? :greengrin

That'll depend how he does this season for me. The David Gray of his first season would be very hard to replace on our budget. The David Gray of last season (bar one notable exception :greengrin) was nowhere near as good. I'd heard at times he'd played through injury last season which might have explained some of his performances particularly in the last 3/4 months of the season where I didn't think he was great at all.

Hopefully he is injury free now and he can continue on his early season form as he's been much more like the David Gray we saw in the first season.

Smartie
06-09-2016, 10:11 AM
No, I don't think we can do better.

We played a system last season that sometimes left him exposed - see the League Cup Final where he was caught up the park.

Strong defensively and excellent going forward, I think he's brilliant. Yes, his form dipped a bit at times last season but there were mitigating factors - he has had the odd niggly injuries and we played a lot of games.

Personally I wouldn't swap him for Callum Paterson who is now an Internationalist.

And Gray's cup winning performance was about more than a goal - he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, shrugged off injury and drove his team forward. That kind of thing is priceless.

Craig_HFC
06-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Give the man a contract for life.

Brightside
06-09-2016, 10:18 AM
That'll depend how he does this season for me. The David Gray of his first season would be very hard to replace on our budget. The David Gray of last season (bar one notable exception :greengrin) was nowhere near as good. I'd heard at times he'd played through injury last season which might have explained some of his performances particularly in the last 3/4 months of the season where I didn't think he was great at all.

Hopefully he is injury free now and he can continue on his early season form as he's been much more like the David Gray we saw in the first season.

This is spot on for me. Its easy to forget that he spent a lot of last season out of form. I really want to see him hitting the byline more this season.

hibs0666
06-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Speaking purely hypothetically how would people react to Gray if he signed for the gunts? How would people react seeing him wearing blooded turd?

lucky
06-09-2016, 10:23 AM
This is spot on for me. Its easy to forget that he spent a lot of last season out of form. I really want to see him hitting the byline more this season.

He played with injuries last season. I think he does deserve a new contract but based on his performances not being a legend of this club

Smartie
06-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Speaking purely hypothetically how would people react to Gray if he signed for the gunts? How would people react seeing him wearing blooded turd?

Seeing David Gray in a Hearts shirt should be part of the apocalyptic vision on the (unofficial) transfer deadline day thread.

Dr Pepper - what's the worst that could happen?

allezsauzee
06-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Even taking out any emotional judgement based upon the Scottish Cup final, I'd be delighted to see David Gray extend his stay. he is solid defensively and chips in with the odd important goal! I can't think of anyone who would be a realistic replacement who I'd rather have.

Onion
06-09-2016, 10:29 AM

:top marks If Hibs don't extend, we should look to crowd fund, have him stuffed and placed in the Hibs trophy room so we can all pay homage in years to come.

Just Jimmy
06-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Get it done yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JDHibs
06-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Personally I think he would be good enough if we went up.

He was left exposed alot last season due to the diamond formation and a lack of midfield width along with the fact he was used as a wing back, his form dipped when the whole teams dipped. Wasnt just him. However, as others have said, apparently he played through the pain barrier/injury to play alot of last season.

Hes decent defensively without being excellent, he runs up and down all day so has a good engine. I dont like him as captain but thats not my choice to make. But i would happily keep him and get him signed up on a 2 year deal.

Diclonius
06-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Put it this way - ignoring that goal, right back was a problem position for us since Whittaker left. Then came along Gray.

New contract please.

Salt N Sauzee
06-09-2016, 11:10 AM

He grew up a Hertz fan. Couldn't see it ever happening though but if it did I may shed a tear.

Hibs90
06-09-2016, 11:22 AM
114 year contract required for Sir David

ian cruise
06-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Definitely new contract as long as he's being g realistic with his demands (no reason to believe otherwise). Best right back we've had in years and a great captain too. As the final showed, ready to grab a game by the scruff of the neck if need be.

Vini1875
06-09-2016, 11:29 AM
I think he played through injury so no surprise that his form dipped. Apart from his value as a player he is a leader who drags the team forward when they need it.

Fergos
06-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Stubbsys first signing, old school approach to the game, head down, committed player with a Winners attitude. The more professionals we have about ER like DG the better. Another year at least then onto the coaching staff.

GGTTH

lyonhibs
06-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Stubbsys first signing, old school approach to the game, head down, committed player with a Winners attitude. The more professionals we have about ER like DG the better. Another year at least then onto the coaching staff.

GGTTH

He's 28, not 35!!

Get him on a 2 year deal at least. He's enjoying Hibs, we're ****ing loving him, everyone's a winner.

Seveno
06-09-2016, 11:42 AM
We must treat him better than our last God.

MurrayfieldHibs
06-09-2016, 11:42 AM
We have needed a true leader on the pitch for a long time. For anyone questioning his ability as a captain who leads from the front - just watch the later stages of the second half when he charges back from a forward position to tackle Dean Shields (and gets injured) and wins the ball. Also where he hounds one of the newhuns at the half way line to win a throw in which he throws to Fraser Fyvie, who passes to Stokesy on fire.....

Give David a 3 year contract and let's get on with it!

Fergos
06-09-2016, 11:43 AM
He's 28, not 35!!

Get him on a 2 year deal at least. He's enjoying Hibs, we're ****ing loving him, everyone's a winner.

Lol really did think he was older....that's it then...10 year deal then onto the coaching staff!

GGTTH

LithgaeHibby
06-09-2016, 11:55 AM
No questions from me whatsoever. Get Sir Gray signed up for life! He's back to his best form this season, e.g., Brondby away. Nothing better than seeing him hit the byline and get a low cross in - causes all sorts of panic in opposition defences.

Craig_in_Prague
06-09-2016, 12:01 PM
4 year deal, with option to move into coaching side towards end of contract (I think he's the type).

lord bunberry
06-09-2016, 12:06 PM
He should get 2 contracts.

Craig_HFC
06-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Get his newborn laddie signed up as well.

The spawn of Sir David can only go on to achieve great things.

lord bunberry
06-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Get his newborn laddie signed up as well.

The spawn of Sir David can only go on to achieve great things.
He already has achieved great things, he's David Grays son.:greengrin

Vault Boy
06-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Sir Dave needs a new deal for sure. Would like to see Darren McG, Fyvie, Fontaine and Keatings stay for a bit longer too!

ian cruise
06-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Sir Dave needs a new deal for sure. Would like to see Darren McG, Fyvie, Fontaine and Keatings stay for a bit longer too!

Agree with that, didn't realise all were out of contract. We've a team good enough to do well in the top league, it's important that we keep them together for when we get there otherwise it could be a rebuilding job alongside consolidating our return.

Smartie
06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
A lot will depend on what league we're in next season. If we go up I'm sure we'll keep most of the team together.

If the unthinkable happens and we don't then we'll be back to the drawing board. These guys are too good to be playing in the Championship.

I think we'll go up though and these lads will fancy a crack at the Premier together.

Alex Trager
06-09-2016, 01:14 PM
A lot will depend on what league we're in next season. If we go up I'm sure we'll keep most of the team together.

If the unthinkable happens and we don't then we'll be back to the drawing board. These guys are too good to be playing in the Championship.

I think we'll go up though and these lads will fancy a crack at the Premier together.
jesus christ. Imagine we stay down... Waw.

Five out of vie on saturday please hibby's!

jacomo
06-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Seeing David Gray in a Hearts shirt should be part of the apocalyptic vision on the (unofficial) transfer deadline day thread.

Dr Pepper - what's the worst that could happen?

Oh jeez, more sleepless nights ahead...

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-09-2016, 03:27 PM
He is worth a new contract even if it is just to show up and coming right backs how to play in that position. Always seems to have been a make and do job for us and even Whitts was a midfielder dropped back.

jacomo
06-09-2016, 04:02 PM
David Gray has a couple of stories on EEN site today, says he's settled in Edinburgh and wants to stay.

He doesn't even mention the Hertz, funnily enough.

Libby Hibby
06-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Get him signed for life, loves the Hibs and we love him

SlatefordHibby
06-09-2016, 04:14 PM

These living legends can sign for who they like. It would be 100% respect if any of them came back, even if it's in a hearts or an OF shirt.

They gave us our hardest/greatest victory ever so they must be respected and remembered accordingly.

cabbageandribs1875
06-09-2016, 04:22 PM
with him now having a Knighthood surely a 2 year extension would be the least we could offer the man

Gatecrasher
06-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Good player
Good attitude
Memorable cup final goal
Superb Captain

Sign him up!

sleeping giant
06-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Contract for as long as he wants please.

shetlandhibee
06-09-2016, 06:08 PM
2 year deal with option of a third at least!!

HTD1875
06-09-2016, 06:16 PM
114 year contract and a statue outside the west stand please.

hibee92
06-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Never ever has a footballer actually made my life considerably better and happier. Love the man. 21/05 and Brondby. Sign him up for the rest of his days :love ya!::love ya!::love ya!:

BoomtownHibees
06-09-2016, 06:36 PM
New contract and the East Stand named after him

GGTTH07
06-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Hope he retires here!

Onceinawhile
06-09-2016, 07:11 PM
David Gray has a couple of stories on EEN site today, says he's settled in Edinburgh and wants to stay.

He doesn't even mention the Hertz, funnily enough.

Not bad for someone who doesn't live there!

SeanWilson
06-09-2016, 07:12 PM

👍

SunshineOnLeith
06-09-2016, 07:17 PM
114 year contract and a statue outside the west stand please.

And get Liam Henderson to deliver the plaque for the statue.

Anything less would be an insult.

3pm
06-09-2016, 07:18 PM
If he plays well enough he'll get a new deal.

If he's crap this year, he'll need to go.

Harsh of course!!

djs69
06-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Give him a contract for the rest of his career

Sir David Gray
06-09-2016, 07:35 PM
He should be given a contract for as long as he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

lucky
06-09-2016, 07:39 PM
If he plays well enough he'll get a new deal.

If he's crap this year, he'll need to go.

Harsh of course!!

There will be carnage if DG is not given a new deal

Bostonhibby
06-09-2016, 07:44 PM
There will be carnage if DG is not given a new deal

:agree: I will do time if he doesn't get a three year deal and it will be Petries fault. Get it done Hibs, First leader since Rob Jones, the last ten minutes of that cup final sealed it for me.

essexhibee
06-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Absolute warrior of a captain. He just epitomises the very definition of the word Captain in every way. A fantastic leader and ambassador for our great club imo.

jacomo
06-09-2016, 08:26 PM

Well perhaps he was just dreaming of fair Edina.

Greenworld
06-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Sir David is allowed to Write his own contract ....it is agreed

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

mca
06-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Sir David in a Hearts Strip... FFS.. He Killed Their Songbook..

I Just Couldn't imagine it..

JDT
07-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Don't we have a few players out of contract come the end of the season? Off the top of my head theres Gray, Stevenson, McGregor, Fontaine, Fyvie, Bartley, Boyle & Keatings. There may be more if you include the one year deals handed out in the summer. Does anybody have any info of talks happening with players?

Dashing Bob S
07-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Not sure that I get the Gray love-in on this thread. It's not as if 'Captain Anonymous' has exactly made any big memorable contributions to the Hibernian cause.

MyJo
07-09-2016, 10:17 AM
As well as being a damn good player and excellent captain he is also a good role model.

My son was upset at his football training yesterday because his team were losing 2-0 and he hurt another player in a crunching, but fair, tackle. His mum's response?

"you dont see David Gray getting upset over tackles do you? Remember Hampden, we were losing but we came back and won the scottish cup now get back in the game"

He went on to score the equaliser to earn his team a draw :smug:

Baader
07-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Longer required.

KWJ
07-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Long term contract for me. He should have the option of retiring here so long as he doesn't want to play way beyond himself.

As others have said I didn't think he was at his best last season but there was a notable improvement before the SC final. The home game against Rangers after our bad run was one where he was magnificent.

Legend.

The Sundance Kid
07-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Don't we have a few players out of contract come the end of the season? Off the top of my head theres Gray, Stevenson, McGregor, Fontaine, Fyvie, Bartley, Boyle & Keatings. There may be more if you include the one year deals handed out in the summer. Does anybody have any info of talks happening with players?

Yeah, gonna be a busy summer next summer with Marciano, Gray, Fontaine, Bartley, Fyvie, Holt, Stevenson, Boyle, Keatings, Shinnie, McGregor, Laidlaw and Harris out of contract. Will be made a lot easier to tie down those we want to keep if we're preparing for a season in the Premiership as opposed to the Chammpioship

J-C
07-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Yeah, gonna be a busy summer next summer with Marciano, Gray, Fontaine, Bartley, Fyvie, Holt, Stevenson, Boyle, Keatings, Shinnie, McGregor, Laidlaw and Harris out of contract. Will be made a lot easier to tie down those we want to keep if we're preparing for a season in the Premiership as opposed to the Chammpioship

Only on loan.

Leithenhibby
07-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Best start saving our pennies!... :wink:

http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate.html

GGTTH