PDA

View Full Version : Harris

greenteam
05-09-2016, 02:40 PM
TBH. Ive no idea what Harris were people watching yesterday. What I watched he did more in the game than any other player except Their goalkeeper. .someone with sense please explain to me this pathetic attitude and blinkered oppinion??
Or is he now our next boo boy? Fikin ridiculous btw...we should just play somebody for 5 minutes and let them be bombasted with abuse and never play them again.
Sometimes people's negative **** do my head in.
And dont bother telling me "opinion" **** please

HibbyScott
05-09-2016, 02:44 PM
TBH. Ive no idea what Harris were people watching yesterday. What I watched he did more in the game than any other player except Their goalkeeper. .someone with sense please explain to me this pathetic attitude and blinkered oppinion??
Or is he now our next boo boy? Fikin ridiculous btw...we should just play somebody for 5 minutes and let them be bombasted with abuse and never play them again.

My opinion on Harris from yesterday was that he tried a lot, but not very much of it came off. Spent a lot of time with the ball either bouncing off of him and out for a throw, or running into their full back's legs and the ball going out.

Not bombasting him with abuse.. but a winger of the quality that we're looking for should have a highland league full back on toast for the entire game. In that regards, Harris wasn't good enough yesterday, and for long spells of the game, Boyle wasn't either in my opinion.

It's a shame, but I don't think Harris is going to be good enough for us.

Since90+2
05-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Nothing against the lad but he is simply not good enough to play for Hibs in my opinion. He will hopefully have a decent career but I suspect he will eventually settle at a club with less pressure and expectation than Hibs.

Comiston Hibee
05-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Really want Alex Harris to succeed at Hibs.
No doubting he has not shown initial promise but I really think Lennon sees a player there, and wants him to do well. If he didn't then he would have followed Carmichael [and Stanton] out the door.
He wont start him in too many games, certainly not the important ones, but he can hopefully make an impact coming off the bench when we are coasting - that should give him confidence if and when required to be the game changer.

Sure he will come good in the green & white:flag::flag:

greenteam
05-09-2016, 02:57 PM
My opinion on Harris from yesterday was that he tried a lot, but not very much of it came off. Spent a lot of time with the ball either bouncing off of him and out for a throw, or running into their full back's legs and the ball going out.

Not bombasting him with abuse.. but a winger of the quality that we're looking for should have a highland league full back on toast for the entire game. In that regards, Harris wasn't good enough yesterday, and for long spells of the game, Boyle wasn't either in my opinion.

It's a shame, but I don't think Harris is going to be good enough for us.
I have one problem with your interpretation. ..the pitch. It was as heavy as a whale sandwich..I dont think letting us play any type of
Football was their game plan..I thought he dud well to control the ball and use it how he did..I swear somebody put glue on the grass before the game

TheSouthMoroccan
05-09-2016, 02:59 PM

Good to see you are up for a calm and reasoned debate:wink:

greenlex
05-09-2016, 03:05 PM
I've just watched the game. He was busy enough but often his decision making was poor. He ran into defenders a lot. His final pass was poor a lot too other than the assist. Good shot in the first few seconds. A couple of decent flashes across goal. Bearing in mind the opposition I don't think he did enough. I think he has a real lack of desire to be honest. Pity as if he had that in his locker he would be an asset. As it is I don't think he is good enough for the level we want to be at. He also has had far more chances than the 5 mins you suggest.

greenteam
05-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Good to see you are up for a calm and reasoned debate:wink:
Lol..I am actually

QMU-1875
05-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Yesterday I thought Harris gave the ball away very often. However I do also think he was th emost involved player on the park, I dont think any other player was looking for the ball as often as Harris was or looking to create. Some of it didnt work out for him yesterday but if he can continue to look to get involved then he will get more opportunities. Great ping right at the start as well and his ball to Boyle for the goal was perfect.

greenteam
05-09-2016, 03:10 PM
I've just watched the game. He was busy enough but often his decision making was poor. He ran into defenders a lot. His final pass was poor a lot too. Good shot in the first few seconds. A couple of decent flashes across goal. Bearing in mind the opposition I don't think he did enough. I think he has a real lack of desire to be honest. Pity as if he had that in his locker he would be an asset. As it is I don't think he is good enough for the level we want to be at.

Ok some valid points, but with one up front and nowhere to pass it sometimes didn't help him..
Im more concerned in him being the boo boy tbh.
Seems to be a place in our support over the last few years and I see something in him

fishybeaver
05-09-2016, 03:12 PM
I've just watched the game. He was busy enough but often his decision making was poor. He ran into defenders a lot. His final pass was poor a lot too. Good shot in the first few seconds. A couple of decent flashes across goal. Bearing in mind the opposition I don't think he did enough. I think he has a real lack of desire to be honest. Pity as if he had that in his locker he would be an asset. As it is I don't think he is good enough for the level we want to be at.

I kinda wonder if he is a victim of his own success to a point, he burst onto the scene big time, got injured, now every time he plays people expect him to beat 11 men and slot it home from 30 yards, he's still learning the game and developing as a player. Yesterday he was imho one of the better players on that park, if he had scored in the first ten seconds, or the great save from the header went in, no one would have even thought about the rest of his game but he would have been lauded about being back. We have a great habit at ER of not giving people a chance, thankfully our manger doesn't have the same attituted and knows the game way better than any of us.

greenteam
05-09-2016, 03:12 PM
And believe me some players and managers over the years have deserved it..I just see something

TrinityHibs
05-09-2016, 03:15 PM
I think I will let Neil Lennon decide

Weststandwanab
05-09-2016, 03:21 PM
I think I will let Neil Lennon decide

I am not sure there is any other option.

Dinkydoo
05-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Totally agree with the OP. Made more of a positive contribution than anyone else on the park. Hit the bar with a half volley, a header, missed a bit of a sitter and setup a goal

greenteam
05-09-2016, 03:24 PM
I am not sure there is any other option.

The way he was spoken about yesterday clearly says there is another opinion though...well out of order and band wagon mentality

fishybeaver
05-09-2016, 03:35 PM
The way he was spoken about yesterday clearly says there is another opinion though...well out of order and band wagon mentality

Well said!!

Booked4Being-Ugly
05-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Apart from Fyvie who was excellent and the goalkeeper who wasn't really tested I don't think Harris played any better or worse than anyone else. F'k knows why he gets selected for criticism. He wasn't that great but neither was anyone else.

Andy74
05-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Totally agree with the OP. Made more of a positive contribution than anyone else on the park. Hit the bar with a half volley, a header, missed a bit of a sitter and setup a goal

Boyle scored and had an assist. Graham scored and also hit the bar. Harris didn't score, had one assist and hit the bar twice.

I think the guys scoring goals made more positive contributions.

He had a couple of decent runs and crosses but other than that he just ran into players or lost the ball. It was a highland league team. He also had a similar game v the Hearts under 20s. These are games he should be showing a bit more in.

Golden Bear
05-09-2016, 04:00 PM

It's not long ago that the lad got slagged for going to a public school! What that had to do with his abilities as a professional football player is anyone's guess.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Ah yes the so called "boo boys" - a phenomenon worthy of study in itself.

I wonder if players get it tighter in other countries? I'd guess that perhaps other countries don't dwell on things as much. We seem to have an ability - aided and abetted by the tinternet - to dredge up an event good (bizarrely) or bad and use it as a stick to beat players with - Lewis living off his MOM in the CIS Cup Final, Harris living off one performance against Falkirk. Why do folks appear to take such pleasure in that? The curse of the Scots?

Andy74
05-09-2016, 04:27 PM

I wonder if players get it tighter in other countries? I'd guess that perhaps other countries don't dwell on things as much. We seem to have an ability - aided and abetted by the tinternet - to dredge up an event good (bizarrely) or bad and use it as a stick to beat players with - Lewis living off his MOM in the CIS Cup Final, Harris living off one performance against Falkirk. Why do folks appear to take such pleasure in that? The curse of the Scots?

Perhaps we are more prone to over exaggerating the discussions that take place on player performances?

He is hardly at the stage of getting booed, in fact, based on the stick that some players still get on here after only turning out 7 or 8 times for us, he is doing alright off one or two decent games in about 3 years.

jacomo
05-09-2016, 05:20 PM
I think we are harsh on our own young players.

According to many of the loud voices on here:

Lewis - never good enough.
Paul Hanlon - never good enough.
Jason - get rid.

Opinions are one thing, but perhaps we can be a little more patient.

hibsbollah
05-09-2016, 05:34 PM

It's a cultural thing. As much as I love being Scottish and have pride in my country we are a nation of miserable, sourfaced moaning bassas who take pleasure in extracting the joy out of life.

Back to Harris. When that Geordie twat Hutchison did his ankle it affected his confidence and he didn't recover for a while. He might make it at Hibs, or he might have to move elsewhere but I'm convinced he has the talent if he gets to a place mentally where he can perform with confidence. I really want him to do well, coincidentally my daughters boyfriend played football with him at school and told me he's one of the nicest lads you could hope to meet. (Although this will probably be used by some as evidence that he 'doesn't have that nasty streak we need for success' or similar...)

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2016, 05:40 PM
I think we are harsh on our own young players.

According to many of the loud voices on here:

Lewis - never good enough.
Paul Hanlon - never good enough.
Jason - get rid.

Opinions are one thing, but perhaps we can be a little more patient.

I've happily voiced my support for Lewis and Paul over the years, I've no problem sticking up for homegrown talent.

I don't dislike Harris but I don't think he offers enough for us, as a team who should be nailing promotion and certainly as a team who should be competing in the top-flight next season.

He's got an opportunity between now and January to make it work at Hibs.

I would love it if he did. If he doesn't then he's just another addition to a long, long list and that just reflects how tight the margins are at professional level.

CRAZYHIBBY
05-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Except from hit the bar and put a decent chance wide i dont think he had a great game...the ball spent more time bouncing of him..i think he's rank and would love to see him go.........don't cry harris lovers it just my opinion

ancient hibee
05-09-2016, 06:58 PM
I do wonder sometimes when you read that "the boy Murray didn't turn up for the second half"about a youngster of 17 playing his first first team game against experienced players(compared to him)scoring a goal and showing lots of promise that we have some very unsupportive supporters.

Dinkydoo
05-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Boyle scored and had an assist. Graham scored and also hit the bar. Harris didn't score, had one assist and hit the bar twice.

He had a couple of decent runs and crosses but other than that he just ran into players or lost the ball. It was a highland league team. He also had a similar game v the Hearts under 20s. These are games he should be showing a bit more in.

Maybe I chose the wrong words; what i meant was that Harris was involved in more pieces of positive play than any other attacker. There were bits of his game that I wasnt happy about, but he doesn't deserve to be singled out at all.

For what its worth I thought everyone should have shown a bit more against a Highland league side however it was pretty obvious that after getting the 2 goal cushion, we were happy to not stretch ourselves and just see the fixture through.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-09-2016, 07:26 PM
You can say that he is not good enough for the first team and have that comment to mean that our first eleven is real quality. There are plenty of players getting starts in the SPL week in and week out who would not get a regular game with us.

madhatter
05-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Too much Footie Manager for some here I think. On my viewing Boyle was worse than Harris in that game and whole team played at a shocking pace yet Harris is singled out. His first touch was poor at times but have people watched Cummings?

If our homegrown players were the finished article they would have gone on to bigger and better things, simple as that.

Booth and Wotherspoon play at a higher level than us and by no means are they world beaters. Our tendency to want to offload players due to height or similar has had well documented fallout...

He is part of the Hibs family until he is not, support him and stop being jealous that he is close to forging a career in football and you are not...

Andy74
05-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Too much Footie Manager for some here I think. On my viewing Boyle was worse than Harris in that game and whole team played at a shocking pace yet Harris is singled out. His first touch was poor at times but have people watched Cummings?

If our homegrown players were the finished article they would have gone on to bigger and better things, simple as that.

Booth and Wotherspoon play at a higher level than us and by no means are they world beaters. Our tendency to want to offload players due to height or similar has had well documented fallout...

He is part of the Hibs family until he is not, support him and stop being jealous that he is close to forging a career in football and you are not...

The last part of your post is just stupid.

Other than that, if Cummings had been poor for three years and loaned out twice we would also discuss his involvement if he was brought back in.

If you are too sensitive to read comments on player performances maybe a football fans forum is going to be too much for you.

cmcd
05-09-2016, 07:46 PM

Couldn't agree more

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2016, 07:47 PM
He came into the team a few years ago, and we probably all thought we had a superstar on our hands.

Now for numerous reasons mainly his injury and not getting back to that early form despite a couple of loan periods, he's nowhere near a starting place at Hibs now.

Its football, it happens.

fairafarhib
05-09-2016, 07:50 PM

Totally agree, this was a game where he could have impressed but as others have said, he wasn't any better/worse than the others on view.

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2016, 07:52 PM
I do wonder sometimes when you read that "the boy Murray didn't turn up for the second half"about a youngster of 17 playing his first first team game against experienced players(compared to him)scoring a goal and showing lots of promise that we have some very unsupportive supporters.

I'm astonished that we're not making a bigger deal of Fraser Murray's debut.

If he played for HOMFC, he would probably be in the Scotland squad by now

Viva_Palmeiras
05-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Perhaps we are more prone to over exaggerating the discussions that take place on player performances?

He is hardly at the stage of getting booed, in fact, based on the stick that some players still get on here after only turning out 7 or 8 times for us, he is doing alright off one or two decent games in about 3 years.

Boo Boy
Sport (originally Boxing now especially Association Football ) (chiefly British )
NOUN

A spectator or supporter who habitually jeers or finds fault; especially (in plural) a section of a particular team's support which behaves in this manner.
Origin

1960s; earliest use found in The Times.

I include this as I've never looked up the official definition but think it illustrates clearly what does go on on a too frequent basis. They don't need to actually boo or jeer. Of course in the instance of Harris reduced game time should means less opportunities to find fault.

#persevered
05-09-2016, 08:03 PM
You can say that he is not good enough for the first team and have that comment to mean that our first eleven is real quality. There are plenty of players getting starts in the SPL week in and week out who would not get a regular game with us.

This.

He would start for ICT or Hamilton I reckon. But we are strong in midfield and he is a winger, which is a position we don't use much.

MWHIBBIES
05-09-2016, 08:17 PM

He is part of the Hibs family until he is not, support him and stop being jealous that he is close to forging a career in football and you are not...Yes, his general play this season has reached a level Harris won't see IMO.

LancsHibs
05-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Harris was very poor yesterday. I was disappointed with his performance, I hoped that he would shine but IMO did not take the opportunity given to him. his time at Hibs is drawing to a close I'm afraid.

madhatter
06-09-2016, 05:29 AM
The last part of your post is just stupid.

Other than that, if Cummings had been poor for three years and loaned out twice we would also discuss his involvement if he was brought back in.

If you are too sensitive to read comments on player performances maybe a football fans forum is going to be too much for you.

How is saying support a player until he is gone stupid?

Too sensitive? Think your response has been more sensitive seeing as you've taken a more personal approach to your reply - specifically targeting my "stupid" post and suggesting the forum might be beyond me because I'm "too sensitive".

If you read my comment with reason, you should have picked up that I meant Cummings is far from perfect and as of yet hasn't lost a season of football through injury. Harris was injured for one of the 3 seasons you mentioned so he would be as you say "poor". Bit of an unfair comparison.

Still to see where I was "too sensitive" but whatever helps you sleep at night...

madhatter
06-09-2016, 05:39 AM
Yes, his general play this season has reached a level Harris won't see IMO.

And his first touch? Think if you took the question genuinely you would answer that Cummings first touch is not great and suffers the same "ball bouncing off of him" that people are criticising Harris for.

Really don't understand a witch hunt for certain players, Harris is hardly going to be on big bucks so it is really bizarre seeing comments saying "time is up" and such like especially since the lad came through our ranks.

I'll leave football decisions to the manager. Time will be called when it is deemed by club officials rather than pitch fork holders.

Andy74
06-09-2016, 07:18 AM
How is saying support a player until he is gone stupid?

Too sensitive? Think your response has been more sensitive seeing as you've taken a more personal approach to your reply - specifically targeting my "stupid" post and suggesting the forum might be beyond me because I'm "too sensitive".

If you read my comment with reason, you should have picked up that I meant Cummings is far from perfect and as of yet hasn't lost a season of football through injury. Harris was injured for one of the 3 seasons you mentioned so he would be as you say "poor". Bit of an unfair comparison.

Still to see where I was "too sensitive" but whatever helps you sleep at night...

You probably know this but the stupid part was where you were suggesting that comments were due to jealousy about him being a football player.

WhileTheChief..
06-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Players that come through the youth ranks always get given more support / leeway than others that are brought in.

Harris has had a lot of support but just isn't good enough to play for the Hibs first team now. No harm in saying it.

My own view is that he will go on to have a good career but not as a footballer. Wish him all the best.

JDHibs
06-09-2016, 07:55 AM
NL apparently rates him quite highly and has done since he broke into our first team a few years back.

My opinion? Not sure. He burst onto the scene and his performance against Falkirk in the cup was outstanding. But hasnt been able to reproduce that, a bad injury killed his confidance and hes never recovered. Looked good at QoS last season and picked up a good number of assists, heard they wanted to keep him but NL said no.

Happy with the fact he never hid yesterday and was always looking for the ball and looking to make things happen. He may have lost the ball alot but atleast he was trying to take the players on. The pitch at Turriff didnt really suit our passing style.

Would love to see him get some game time against Dumbarton when we are 2-0 and let him show what he can do.

All in all the jury is still out, however, the abuse he receives is pathetic.

J-C
06-09-2016, 08:52 AM
NL apparently rates him quite highly and has done since he broke into our first team a few years back.

My opinion? Not sure. He burst onto the scene and his performance against Falkirk in the cup was outstanding. But hasnt been able to reproduce that, a bad injury killed his confidance and hes never recovered. Looked good at QoS last season and picked up a good number of assists, heard they wanted to keep him but NL said no.

Happy with the fact he never hid yesterday and was always looking for the ball and looking to make things happen. He may have lost the ball alot but atleast he was trying to take the players on. The pitch at Turriff didnt really suit our passing style.

Would love to see him get some game time against Dumbarton when we are 2-0 and let him show what he can do.

All in all the jury is still out, however, the abuse he receives is pathetic.

Is the abuse coming from the stands or are you talking about people like yourself saying the jury is out and unsure he'll make?

As we've only had 4 league games with 2 at home, I must say I've heard no abuse whatsoever.

As for Harris, yes the lad has talent and we all know his confidence is shattered and if Lennon feels he can help him discover his early promise I'm all for that but this will be his last chance to prove he can make it at Hibs, lets hope he grabs it with both hands.

madhatter
06-09-2016, 09:05 AM
You probably know this but the stupid part was where you were suggesting that comments were due to jealousy about him being a football player.

Indeed but are you suggesting that kind of jealousy doesn't exist? Think that is slightly naive - how many on here wanted to be football players...

JDHibs
06-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Is the abuse coming from the stands or are you talking about people like yourself saying the jury is out and unsure he'll make?

As we've only had 4 league games with 2 at home, I must say I've heard no abuse whatsoever.

As for Harris, yes the lad has talent and we all know his confidence is shattered and if Lennon feels he can help him discover his early promise I'm all for that but this will be his last chance to prove he can make it at Hibs, lets hope he grabs it with both hands.

I dont see how saying the jury is out on a player can be taken as abuse? Can you clarify that?

Abuse whether online, in the stands in previous years, he hasnt played this season enough to receive abuse, probably why you havent heard any, but watch the next time he plays and loses the ball whilst trying to be positive and every time his name comes up and people slate him.

Every player who puts on the green jersey gets my support.