PDA

View Full Version : Rule change in the Scottish cup

Monts
05-09-2016, 01:53 PM
I noticed the SFA tweeted after today's draw that if a game goes to extra time, teams can use a 4th substitute.

Hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Interesting rule, and a good one IMO.

bubblesmorrison
05-09-2016, 02:21 PM
I noticed the SFA tweeted after today's draw that if a game goes to extra time, teams can use a 4th substitute.

Was this not tested in the Olympics this year or did I imagine that?

The_Exile
05-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Rolling subs is the way forward IMO, would make the game much more tactically interesting if you could change the way your team is shaped any time you wanted, a changed I've wanted to see for as long as i can remember.

hibbysam
05-09-2016, 02:25 PM

I think it's a ***** rule, allowing managers to play their hand earlier knowing they will receive a "bonus sub" in ET.

Smartie
05-09-2016, 02:28 PM
How about "the rules of association football apply to all players in a Scottish Cup tie, except David Gray who can do whatever the f*** he likes" as an alteration to the rules as a form of tribute to his contribution to the competition?

It's an amendment of an old rule that has applied to various players over the years, such as John Greig, Willie Miller and Richard Gough.

greenteam
05-09-2016, 02:32 PM
I think it's a ***** rule, allowing managers to play their hand earlier knowing they will receive a "bonus sub" in ET.

Help me out here? Does it mean after we have used 3 subs or just an added sub?

Andy74
05-09-2016, 02:39 PM

What's the negative in that?

adhibs
05-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Extra time can be pretty dreary with fatigue kicking in. This change could make things a bit more exciting, soubds alright to me.

Michael
05-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Help me out here? Does it mean after we have used 3 subs or just an added sub?

Up to 3 subs in 'normal time' and up to 4 in 'normal time' + 'extra time'.

HoboHarry
05-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Really can't think what you are on about here? It's the same for both managers and simply allows for an extra sub if an additional 30 minutes is required.....

hibbysam
05-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Really can't think what you are on about here? It's the same for both managers and simply allows for an extra sub if an additional 30 minutes is required.....

The fact just now you have to weigh up whether or not to make a sub with 15 to go, in case it goes to ET and you get an injury/fatigue etc. Now you can just make the sub anyway knowing fine well if it goes the distance you will have an extra sub... If we go this way we would be as well just having unlimited subs. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the rule in the first place and this just gives those with the bigger squads an even greater advantage if it happens to go to ET.

snooky
05-09-2016, 04:55 PM
What's the negative in that?

I think it's the bit where he typed *****

Spike Mandela
05-09-2016, 04:59 PM
The only rule change in the Scottish cup that matters is the one where the BBC, the Record, all other media outlets and sad Jambo ****ers can't mention the Hibs hoodoo, 114 years or 1902 anymore.:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Rolling subs is the way forward IMO, would make the game much more tactically interesting if you could change the way your team is shaped any time you wanted, a changed I've wanted to see for as long as i can remember.

Rolling subs is the rule in children's/youth football at least up until under-13s, I'm not sure what age fixed subs kicks in.

At pro level you would use it differently, as you suggest it would become a tactical tool. With age groups it's as much about giving people a runout and giving them gametime commensurate with their capacity.

I would be interested to see it trialled. Football doesn't have fixed positions in the way that rugby does, so making a change can mean a significant shift in tactics or strategy

Monts
05-09-2016, 05:53 PM
The fact just now you have to weigh up whether or not to make a sub with 15 to go, in case it goes to ET and you get an injury/fatigue etc. Now you can just make the sub anyway knowing fine well if it goes the distance you will have an extra sub... If we go this way we would be as well just having unlimited subs. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the rule in the first place and this just gives those with the bigger squads an even greater advantage if it happens to go to ET.
I'd rather managers actually went out to win it, rather than try and play it safe just in case there's an injury in extra time.

Eyrie
05-09-2016, 07:17 PM

Did you feel the same when they changed from permitting two subs to three?

McD
06-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Surely squad size doesn't matter, as both teams will have named the same number of starters and substitutes?

hibbysam
06-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Surely squad size doesn't matter, as both teams will have named the same number of starters and substitutes?

Shouldn't have said squad size, should have said one side with a starting XI plus one or two decent back ups (a lower league side) against a top side who have 7 subs all capable of starting, giving them an additional option to come off the bench gives them a huge advantage.

Just Jimmy
06-09-2016, 09:21 AM
***** rule. As with the league cup its just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. Fix the bigger problems in our game first. Nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
06-09-2016, 09:28 AM
It will be used as a tactic to waste time.

Man Down Under
06-09-2016, 10:14 AM
I think it will make the game better to watch. Sure it's less of a gamble for the managers to use all their subs before full time, but it's better than watching 2 knackered teams make mistakes before inevitable penalties.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

scoopyboy
06-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Shouldn't have said squad size, should have said one side with a starting XI plus one or two decent back ups (a lower league side) against a top side who have 7 subs all capable of starting, giving them an additional option to come off the bench gives them a huge advantage.

Would you interpretation not mean though Sam that the higher league team were trying to hold out for extra time against a lower league team?

Dangerous strategy that?

hibbysam
06-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Would you interpretation not mean though Sam that the higher league team were trying to hold out for extra time against a lower league team?

Dangerous strategy that?

Not really, Scoop. 10 minutes to go and they have used 2 subs. They can chuck fresh legs on in the hope they win the game, now knowing fine well that should it go to ET that they can then bring yet another sub on in ET. It's a no lose situation for the higher ranked side with more resources, where the smaller side will be at an even bigger disadvantage.

Hibee87
06-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Not really, Scoop. 10 minutes to go and they have used 2 subs. They can chuck fresh legs on in the hope they win the game, now knowing fine well that should it go to ET that they can then bring yet another sub on in ET. It's a no lose situation for the higher ranked side with more resources, where the smaller side will be at an even bigger disadvantage.

You could say the same about the bigger teams 3 subs during the game as well then........

Jack Hackett
06-09-2016, 12:13 PM

With you on that point, unless of course you wear a magic hat and send all your players out on loan and cannae use them when the going gets tough...which is totally unfair 'cos he would have won a big cup and got into Europe if only..... :greengrin

Eyrie
06-09-2016, 07:43 PM
With you on that point, unless of course you wear a magic hat and send all your players out on loan and cannae use them when the going gets tough...which is totally unfair 'cos he would have won a big cup and got into Europe if only..... :greengrin

... he had a magic wand.

McD
06-09-2016, 11:58 PM

I see what you're saying, not sure it's wholly valid (no offence intended). Taking your point, since the higher ranked side have better resources and therefore better players, should they be made to exclude some of their best players from the match, so that there's less advantage? I'm not being flippant, just thinking through your point, and extrapolating it further.