PDA

View Full Version : Celtic to change words on our song

Leith's finest
04-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Im hearing celtic crowd next week are slightly changing the words to one off our songs, then they played the celtic and suddenly it dawned to win the spl, you know the rest

Highland_Hibee
04-09-2016, 07:55 PM
That's not the version I heard. The one I heard from them I posted in the Sevco meltdown thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
04-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Not like Celtic fans to steal something from us. :rolleyes:

Eyrie
04-09-2016, 09:41 PM
They'll be claiming it as one of their own songs next.

Bostonhibby
04-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Hibs forever leading, celtc following.
First to wear the green😉

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Godsahibby
04-09-2016, 09:49 PM
To be fair we did steal it from The Rangers

Mibbes Aye
04-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Not like Celtic fans to steal something from us. :rolleyes:

Not just us.

The way they misappropriated "You'll Never Walk Alone" is shameless.

I'm no Liverpool fan but that song should be theirs and theirs alone, to acknowledge and remember Hillsborough IMO

Bostonhibby
04-09-2016, 09:51 PM
To be fair we did steal it from The Rangers
Doesn't count, they've not been around long enough to qualify for a proper football song.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

CallumLaidlaw
04-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Im hearing celtic crowd next week are slightly changing the words to one off our songs, then they played the celtic and suddenly it dawned to win the spl, you know the rest

And it's not even the spl anymore

Hibbyradge
04-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't know what song this is about?

Sir David Gray
04-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't know what song this is about?

The Warburton song.

Billy McKirdy
04-09-2016, 10:44 PM
They can take it and never give us it back.
Never liked it never will.
TRIFC are an irrelevance to me now.
Bring back let's all do the Hibees Bounce :thumbsup:

HibsNutter
04-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Sick of hearing us singing about Rangers all game anyway

Hi Heid Yin
04-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Not just us.

I'm no Liverpool fan but that song should be theirs and theirs alone, to acknowledge and remember Hillsborough IMO

I couldn't agree more.
You'll Never Walk Alone is unquestionably the anthem of Liverpool FC.
It was adopted by and sung by the legendary 25,000 strong Liverpool Kop shortly after Gerry and The Pacemakers took it to the top of the charts way back in 1963. It was a time when Mersey side (The Mersey Beat) conquered the world, led by, of course, The Beatles. Celtic have latched onto it despicably.
Imagine another team adopting Sunshine On Leith as their anthem!!

Albanian Hibs
05-09-2016, 01:26 AM

Is that you Gail?

Keith_M
05-09-2016, 06:07 AM
Is that you Gail?

She's busy on Follow Follow today.

JDT
05-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Didn't we sing You'll Never Walk Alone in the early nineties? I wholeheartedly agree with what's being said about it just have a niggle in the back of my brain somewhere.

CallumLaidlaw
05-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Didn't we sing You'll Never Walk Alone in the early nineties? I wholeheartedly agree with what's being said about it just have a niggle in the back of my brain somewhere.

It was sung at the hands off Hibs rally by the proclaimers.

Ringothedog
05-09-2016, 06:41 AM

We sang it during the 60's to the 90's. Don't know why we stopped.

superfurryhibby
05-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Not just us.

Nah, it's a song about a sentiment, not a place and Celtic fans were singing it long before Hillsborough, as did Hibs fans on ocassion. What about us singing Glory, Glory or Hail , Hail. Neither were originally Hibs songs. Shameless, my erse.

NAE NOOKIE
05-09-2016, 07:35 AM
On the subject of fitba songs .... My first wife was brought up in the Salvation Army and I used to go to some of their services with her. Imagine my horror and amusement at one service when the pianist started banging out the Hearts song. Turns out that Mr Nicol had derived more than a little inspiration from an old Sally Army hymn written by Fanny Crosby called 'blessed assurance' ..... I don't know if he ever acknowledged where he got the idea for the Hearts song from, but if he didn't .....naughty Mr Nicol
:slipper:

Cant get a link to work, but have a look on You Tube

Highland_Hibee
05-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Nah, it's a song about a sentiment, not a place and Celtic fans were singing it long before Hillsborough, as did Hibs fans on ocassion. What about us singing Glory, Glory or Hail , Hail. Neither were originally Hibs songs. Shameless, my erse.

I was always fairly certain we were the first adaptation of glory glory into a football chant.

WhileTheChief..
05-09-2016, 08:21 AM
We sang it during the 60's to the 90's. Don't know why we stopped.

Yup, we also sang part of it in double time with a clap - clap thing going on that Liverpool never did.

hibbybrian
05-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Yup, we also sang part of it in double time with a clap - clap thing going on that Liverpool never did.

:agree: we did indeed and sometimes it finished

"and you'll never walk again" :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
05-09-2016, 08:45 AM
On the subject of fitba songs .... My first wife was brought up in the Salvation Army and I used to go to some of their services with her. Imagine my horror and amusement at one service when the pianist started banging out the Hearts song. Turns out that Mr Nicol had derived more than a little inspiration from an old Sally Army hymn written by Fanny Crosby called 'blessed assurance' ..... I don't know if he ever acknowledged where he got the idea for the Hearts song from, but if he didn't .....naughty Mr Nicol

Loads of (older) football songs come from church songs, including Glory Glory to the Hibees by that same Mr Nicol (original is Glory Glory Hallelujah). Another example is the peerless classic You're Not Singing Anymore, which adapts the chorus of Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer.

Most of these songs will be old enough to be public domain anyway.

Mr White
05-09-2016, 08:46 AM
I was always fairly certain we were the first adaptation of glory glory into a football chant.

I read it was adopted by spurs first then us then man utd. I can't remember the source though and it could well be wrong.

Rougier45
05-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Not just us.

it was being sung a long time before Hillsborough

what about Liverpool singing the fields on annfield RD!

Fambo Jannies
05-09-2016, 09:47 AM

The East Stand sang YNWA towards the end of the 6-2 game. Clear as a bell on the DVD.

qiut
05-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Anyone know how to get it downloaded as a ringtone.

JeMeSouviens
05-09-2016, 11:10 AM

It's actually an amalgam of 3 songs: Blessed Assurance (this is my story), Flanders & Swann's Hippopotamus Song (mud mud glorious mud) and the Old Orange Flute (away up in Gorgie etc).

So basically they're manky Orange *******s with a misplaced faith. :wink:

WeeRussell
05-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Loads of (older) football songs come from church songs, including Glory Glory to the Hibees by that same Mr Nicol (original is Glory Glory Hallelujah). Another example is the peerless classic You're Not Singing Anymore, which adapts the chorus of Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer.

Most of these songs will be old enough to be public domain anyway.

And 'We are Hibernian FC" - Lord of the Dance.

KEEP RELIGION OUT OF FOOTBALL!!!! :greengrin

itslegaltender
05-09-2016, 12:03 PM

its more about us winning the cup, like Stokesy's on fire, we can sing them forever.

Baw187
05-09-2016, 12:38 PM

I was chief Usher at my brother in laws wedding a few weeks back and Lord of the Dance was one of the songs sung at the church.

I was having a sing off with the best man; me singing the Hibs version and him singing We are the boys from the West Country. He's from Cornwall.

Both better than the original!

JeMeSouviens
05-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Does anybody know why/when https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1anurhbeg became the tune to countless efforts?

nonshinyfinish
05-09-2016, 01:35 PM

How could I forget that – a staple of primary school assemblies.

brog
05-09-2016, 04:09 PM

We are indeed credited with being first re Glory Glory! Spurs double winning team in early 60's followed. So, to confirm GGTTH!

Scouse Hibee
05-09-2016, 04:19 PM
it was being sung a long time before Hillsborough

what about Liverpool singing the fields on annfield RD!

Yes, what about the fields of Anfield Road? Have you read the lyrics.

Scouse Hibee
05-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Not just us.

We've been singing it since 1963, not sure what you mean about connecting it to Hillsborough?

ian cruise
05-09-2016, 05:36 PM
We've been singing it since 1963, not sure what you mean about connecting it to Hillsborough?

I know Liverpool were singing it before Hillsborough but I'm guessing the OP meant that it's now linked with those events, a show of solidarity amongst the fans, and for a Celtic to try use it to jump on that bandwagon was crass. Don't think he was having a go at Pool Scouse, think he was sticking up for you.

Scouse Hibee
05-09-2016, 05:46 PM
I know Liverpool were singing it before Hillsborough but I'm guessing the OP meant that it's now linked with those events, a show of solidarity amongst the fans, and for a Celtic to try use it to jump on that bandwagon was crass. Don't think he was having a go at Pool Scouse, think he was sticking up for you.

I don't for one minute think he was having a go either,in fact I know he wasn't. Just wondered what he was meaning.

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2016, 05:59 PM

:agree:

Thanks Ian. Just speaking personally, YNWA took on a special significance for me after Hillsborough, it became something more because of the loss suffered on 15/4/89. As I said, I'm not a Liverpool fan but I like to think that when it gets sung at every home game, there's some thought about those who didn't go home that day.

That's why I think other clubs should leave it to LFC. Celtc have form for being tacky and taking songs from other clubs. I find it abhorrent in this case. I know we went through a phase of singing YNWA in the mid-nineties, with an increase in tempo after the first round and some funky rhythmic clapping :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
05-09-2016, 06:06 PM
:agree:

Thanks Ian. Just speaking personally, YNWA took on a special significance for me after Hillsborough, it became something more because of the loss suffered on 15/4/89. As I said, I'm not a Liverpool fan but I like to think that when it gets sung at every home game, there's some thought about those who didn't go home that day.

That's why I think other clubs should leave it to LFC. Celtc have form for being tacky and taking songs from other clubs. I find it abhorrent in this case. I know we went through a phase of singing YNWA in the mid-nineties, with an increase in tempo after the first round and some funky rhythmic clapping :greengrin

Ah I see what you mean mate. I had it played at my Mums funeral,a very powerful song in such circumstances.

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Ah I see what you mean mate. I had it played at my Mums funeral,a very powerful song in such circumstances.

I was still at school, laid up with a leg injury at home that Saturday. The game wasn't televised live but as it started to unfold they went to live coverage. I remember seeing footage of fans using the hoardings as makeshift stretchers, even as a child you knew that things had broken down when you saw that. The death toll took a long time to come through. At first it was injuries, then one dead, then two. It stayed at two for a long time. Then it just kept going up. I think it wasn't until the next day or the day after that we knew what the final figure was.

Horrible, horrible event and something we must never forget.

Scouse Hibee
05-09-2016, 06:32 PM
I was still at school, laid up with a leg injury at home that Saturday. The game wasn't televised live but as it started to unfold they went to live coverage. I remember seeing footage of fans using the hoardings as makeshift stretchers, even as a child you knew that things had broken down when you saw that. The death toll took a long time to come through. At first it was injuries, then one dead, then two. It stayed at two for a long time. Then it just kept going up. I think it wasn't until the next day or the day after that we knew what the final figure was.

Horrible, horrible event and something we must never forget.

I will never forget that day, I was there and thankfully all of my friends returned home with me. Still brings me to tears watching footage and documentaries.

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2016, 06:44 PM
I will never forget that day, I was there and thankfully all of my friends returned home with me. Still brings me to tears watching footage and documentaries.

Yeah, I find it hard to watch anything about it without the tears starting.

There will be a number of people on here and who go to games who weren't even born when Hillsborough happened, my children amongst them.

I hope that if we learn any lesson it's to be prepared to challenge authority, in a reasonable and legitimate way.

Not all the time but just when it's injust.

itslegaltender
17-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I find it hard to watch anything about it without the tears starting.

There will be a number of people on here and who go to games who weren't even born when Hillsborough happened, my children amongst them.

I hope that if we learn any lesson it's to be prepared to challenge authority, in a reasonable and legitimate way.

Not all the time but just when it's injust.

Seems everyone is just keeping our words. Seen this on twitter this morning. Warburtons a fanny sung at end of The View concert in Glasgow last night.

https://twitter.com/DecMilarvie88/status/776914478726250496?lang=en-gb