PDA

View Full Version : Club or country ?

Babyshamble
04-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Interested in people's thoughts on this.obviously hope Scotland win, but it we don't, it doesn't bother me as much as when hibs get beat.club for me.Every time .

Steve20
04-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Club.

hfcok
04-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Club all the way

nonshinyfinish
04-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Yep, while I'll celebrate when Scotland win and get frustrated when then lose, the emotional connection is nothing like that with Hibs. When Hibs concede a goal it feels like being punched in the stomach, never had that strength of feeling with Scotland.

Bostonhibby
04-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Much the same as you really, Hibs have started to do things that excite me again, there's a forward looking feeling to it all but I'd support them regardless.

The Scotland set up is rotten from the top down and I haven't been that bothered for a while now, want them to do well, as I do the curling team but my days of travelling to support them or going out of my way to watch them on TV are over, the passion for the national side is long gone. A slow death.

Had high hopes for Strachan who I do admire but some of the selections recently don't reignite my interest.

Craig_HFC
04-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Hibs.

Not even a debate.

givescotlandfreedom
Club by a long shot.

Billy Whizz
Both

lucky
04-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Club everyday of the week

murray26
04-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Club.. Used to be close but not anymore..

marinello59
Club.

Golden Bear
Doubt if you'll find anyone on here who'll admit to having more passion for the national team than Hibs.

The guys that I know who are fervent Scotland supporters tend not to follow Club sides on a weekly basis.

foxyryan
04-09-2016, 07:40 PM
That's a hard question! Obviously I love my country but I love hibs!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
04-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Doubt if you'll find anyone on here who'll admit to having more passion for the national team than Hibs.

The guys that I know who are fervent Scotland supporters tend not to follow Club sides on a weekly basis.

:agree:Cousin claims to be a follower of sevco (his dad was a follower of oldco) never been to Ibrox that I am aware of, takes his kids to ER occasionally but rarely misses a Scotland game, home or away - he's there tonight.

barcahibs
Club.

I take very little notice of the national team but I'm presuming there are hearts, sevco and celtc players involved in the team playing tonight and it always pleases me to see players from those clubs losing.

Don't see why clubs have to cooperate with the national side at all to be honest would rather just have nothing to do with it, the club game is far more important and interesting than the international game.

Maybe if national teams were only made up of U21s and guys who have retired from the club game?

Yuillsy
Club every time. I lost interest in International football a long time ago.

Ronniekirk
04-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Easy one for me Club comes first

J-C
04-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Club every time.

Highland_Hibee
04-09-2016, 07:45 PM
I just can't feel the same for International football as Hibs but I do long for Scotland to do well. How come we are the only nation it seems to get further away from qualifying for major tournaments as they open them up to more teams getting through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuttle
04-09-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm very patriotic, but its my first love Hibs for me

hfc rd
04-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Club every single day of the week. Don't feel the same buzz and passion for my country as I do for Hibs.

Nameless
04-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Club.

I have no emotional investment in the national side. They are an extension of the SFA, who are widely acknowledged by fans to be a rotten organisation who are crippling Scottish football.

heretoday
04-09-2016, 07:54 PM
International football just gets in the way of the real thing.

The Captain....
04-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Club..dont really bother with international football now. Find it hard to get behind anything the SFA has any involvement with.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jim44
04-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I get much more pleasure from a Hibs win and more cheesed off when we get beaten, compared to my emotional reactions to Scottish results. Says it all . Scotland score as I speak.:thumbsup:

ekhibee
04-09-2016, 08:05 PM
Well I would also pick club over the national team most of the time, but why did Wallace withdraw from the Scotland squad? Was it to play in a meaningless friendly for Sevco in Northern Ireland? Thought I heard that somewhere anyway. If true I'm sorry, but that's a disgrace.

MWHIBBIES
04-09-2016, 08:07 PM
I'd take a Hibs IRN BRU cup win over a Scotland world cup win.

heidtheba
04-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Club.

Couldn't give a monkey's about the national team. I don't recognise the players and haven't given a for instance about them since Craig Brown stopped being the manager. I could walk past almost all of them in the street and not know who they were at all.

barcahibs
04-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Well I would also pick club over the national team most of the time, but why did Wallace withdraw from the Scotland squad? Was it to play in a meaningless friendly for Sevco in Northern Ireland? Thought I heard that somewhere anyway. If true I'm sorry, but that's a disgrace.

Whys it a disgrace? Much as i dislike him and his club, why shouldn't he prioritise playing for the organisation that pays his wages?

tamig
04-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Interested in people's thoughts on this.obviously hope Scotland win, but it we don't, it doesn't bother me as much as when hibs get beat.club for me.Every time .

Club every day of the week. No question.

Hibs Class
04-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Club. Said to a mate a year or two back that I would prefer to see Hibs win the Scottish Cup than see Scotland win the world cup. He couldn't believe anyone would feel that way, but 21 May showed plenty of us did.

SuperAllyMcleod
04-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Club. International weeks are really boring - there's little to no football on TV in the run up to these games and then they are usually pretty dire to watch anyway.

That said, I do enjoy an international tournament every second summer - it's just a pity we no longer seem to be allowed to play in them.

steakbake
04-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Both.

Love the idea of nonleague Saturday which happened in England this weekend. If we had governing bodies with any vision, that would be a thing here if the national team has a game.

SkintHibby
04-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Club only. Dont care about Scotland anymore since cowards voted against us becoming a real country in 2014.

mca
04-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Club.

I have no emotional investment in the national side. They are an extension of the SFA, who are widely acknowledged by fans to be a rotten organisation who are crippling Scottish football.

***** State of Affairs.. and all the Fresh air in the World will make nae Effing Difference.. Just the Smell of Money.. :wink:

marinello59
04-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Club only. Dont care about Scotland anymore since cowards voted against us becoming a real country in 2014.

Wow.

SkintHibby
04-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Wow.

Coward.

erin go bragh
04-09-2016, 08:34 PM
If Hibs were playing Scotland, I'd be supporting Hibs .
I love Scotland but I *** love Hibs .

barcahibs
04-09-2016, 08:37 PM

And that's why politics should stay out of Easter Road.

Speedy
04-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Club for me.

That said it isn't really a fair comparison, Scotland have never really done anything to get that excited about in my lifetime.

GreenCastle
04-09-2016, 08:39 PM

Odd view?

Surely it's the opposite !

Curious to hear that if we aren't a real country what are we ?!

In response to the question Hibs always. Don't even need to think about it.

SkintHibby
04-09-2016, 08:43 PM
And that's why politics should stay out of Easter Road.

Sorry I cant get emotional about supporting a country where the people support another country ruling over them. Mental!

TAHibby
04-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Club shades it but hate for the national team is beyond tedious

Thecat23
04-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Coward.

Come on, you can't be saying stuff like that on a football board. I voted to leave but that's a bit extreme.

Back to topic club everyday. Internationals aren't like what they used to be. Players would rather play in CL that's the big draw and some see these games as an inconvenience.

Still want them to win but couldn't care less if we lose.

The Pointer
04-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Nothing beats my enjoyment, or otherwise, of Hibs and the emotional attachment is complete, especially as son and daughter are keen Hibbies. Lad got the bus to the game today as he lives in Aberdeen.

However, over the years I've been to many Scotland away games and had a great time but in recent years, probably as a result of the lack of success, my interest has waned. I went to the away Georgia game last year and thought the before and after goings-on were a bit tired and restrained compared to previous years (despite Tbilisi being a great city for the toot). Maybe because the ground was miles from the city centre. Turned out the game was woeful and sealed our fate in the group.

As far as the current group is concerned, I've been to Lithy a couple of times, travelled through Slovenia on the way to the game in Zagreb, but haven't been to Slovakia so may chance that one.

O'Rourke3
04-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Club and Country. All this club only posing is due to the fact that the national team are pash at qualifying. Having watched World Cup and Euro finals with Scotland there's nothing like it apart from it's just like watching Hibs. Plenty of expectation and often disappointing.I'd still rather be there than not. Must be a generation thing. Those young 'uns don't know what they are missing.

greenlex
04-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Club shades it but hate for the national team is beyond tedious

Pretty much where I am. Ex TA foot soldier and wouldn't go out my way to return but like to see them do well.

barcahibs
04-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Pretty much where I am. Ex TA foot soldier and wouldn't go out my way to return but like to see them do well.

Hate is obviously far too strong a word, but I would go as far as saying I generally don't want them to win. i don't understand wanting a football team containing (for example) Lee Wallace - or any hertz, sevco or celtc player - to win?

SkintHibby
04-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Come on, you can't be saying stuff like that on a football board. I voted to leave but that's a bit extreme.

Back to topic club everyday. Internationals aren't like what they used to be. Players would rather play in CL that's the big draw and some see these games as an inconvenience.

Still want them to win but couldn't care less if we lose.

Come on mate, we are all different and thats the lifeblood of football forums.

Somebody said politics and football dont mix but what exactly do you think international football is? I do not give a flying one about Scotland anymore. Cowards voted for Scotland only to exist in a football sense and nothing else. Shame on them...:agree:

Ergye
04-09-2016, 08:57 PM

Somebody said politics and football dont mix but what exactly do you think international football is? I do not give a flying one about Scotland anymore. Cowards voted for Scotland only to exist in a football sense and nothing else. Shame on them...:agree:

I'm not.

ekhibee
04-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Whys it a disgrace? Much as i dislike him and his club, why shouldn't he prioritise playing for the organisation that pays his wages?
Why should he prioritize playing a meaningless friendly instead of playing in a World Cup qualifier? It's not as if it was a league game, so yes, it is a disgrace, whether it was his decision or his clubs. Just my opinion.

Tamhere1875
04-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Club with country coming a close second

PatHead
04-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Wonder if the fact games are no longer on council telly has reduced our interest in Scotland. Ridiculous that we can watch england but not our own country.

HappyHanlon
04-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Club fitba.

barcahibs
04-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Why should he prioritize playing a meaningless friendly instead of playing in a World Cup qualifier? It's not as if it was a league game, so yes, it is a disgrace, whether it was his decision or his clubs. Just my opinion.

Not denying you're entitled to your opinion.

But why should he turn out for the Scotland team over his club team that pay his wages?

If he was picked for the Scotland cricket team (as Andy Goran was when he played for Hibs) should he turn out for them?

Somebody said politics and football dont mix but what exactly do you think international football is? I do not give a flying one about Scotland anymore. Cowards voted for Scotland only to exist in a football sense and nothing else. Shame on them...

You know you're surrounded by "cowards" every time you're at Easter Road right? That's why politics and religion should stay out of the stadium. We're all pulling together to support Hibs.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I like to see Scotland do well but it doesn't bother me if we don't.

Hibs losing can ruin my whole weekend, sometimes longer.

Club every time.

Bishop Hibee
04-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I've got a season ticket for both.

Scorrie
04-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Club fitbaw for me

woodyhfc4892
04-09-2016, 09:17 PM
I've got a season ticket for both.

Same here mate! Can't understand people wanting Scotland to do badly

Nicho87
04-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Had this argument a few times with people at work. Club hands down. Scotland dont even come close.

SteveHFC
04-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Same here mate! Can't understand people wanting Scotland to do badly

is the membership and season ticket worth it mate.

I attend all scotland home games and wondering if it's worth getting both this time round.

Ergye
04-09-2016, 09:21 PM
I quite like to see Scotland do well, but having moved away from there over 30 years ago, I kinda now just see it as a little, quite pleasant, but cold, extension of England. I think most Scots do too, reading the responses from here and after September 2014. It doesn't really mean anything to be Scottish these days, does it?

Hibs every weekend.

California-Hibs
04-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Both for me. As a Scot living in the US, I know all too well how a person should be positive and passionate about their country. I enjoy the wee break from club every so often and feel the same kinds of emotions for a Scotland goal/win than I do Hibs. Perhaps it's because I live over here and I like to keep my head high and proclaim Scotland to the yanks like we're world beaters!

I will say though that I get a bit more disappointed with a Hibs loss, maybe because we're subjected to a lot more club football than international, so it's ingrained in us more maybe?

Still, been involved in some amazing atmospheres at Scotland games and I'm really proud to be Scottish (even while living in the States!....Of which im still and forever will be a British citizen btw, just the green card for me. Nice color!).

Eyrie
04-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Club only for me.

I lost interest in the national football team back in the 90s and, beyond glancing at the headlines to check a result, it's been that way ever since.

Speedy
04-09-2016, 09:36 PM

Such a strange point of view.

Scottish football fans would've voted in favour of Yes (based on anecdotal evidence I saw at the Germany game in Dortmund). I would also imagine it would be a narrow Yes if you exclude anyone who wasn't Scottish from the vote.

Eyrie
04-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Such a strange point of view.

Scottish football fans would've voted in favour of Yes (based on anecdotal evidence I saw at the Germany game in Dortmund). I would also imagine it would be a narrow Yes if you exclude anyone who wasn't Scottish from the vote.

But how do you define Scottish? Based on our football team it would be having a Scottish grandparent and based on the rugby team you'd only have to be here for three years. Not sure what criteria other sports apply.

Speedy
04-09-2016, 09:46 PM
But how do you define Scottish? Based on our football team it would be having a Scottish grandparent and based on the rugby team you'd only have to be here for three years. Not sure what criteria other sports apply.

I was thinking English, French, Irish etc. who are here for work and wouldn't consider themselves Scottish.

But yeah, since we're talking football, let's go for the football definition.

ronaldo7
04-09-2016, 09:48 PM

Which Country?

All that's been on the tellybox these days is TeamGB or England, I can't afford sky you see.

If my Grandson ever pulls on the green of Hibs, and the Blue of Scotland, then it will be both.

By the time he's ready, he'll know which country he was born in.:aok:

Eyrie
04-09-2016, 09:50 PM
I was thinking English, French, Irish etc. who are here for work and wouldn't consider themselves Scottish.

But yeah, since we're talking football, let's go for the football definition.

Agreed.

Now as a result we Scots need to make a sacrifice and start having kids with Brazilians, Germans, Spaniards and Italians. It's a long process but in a couple of generations we'll have a national team worth noticing :greengrin

WeeRussell
04-09-2016, 10:03 PM

Might be the only one so far but I will. It's a strange one as I wouldn't claim to be more passionate at Scotland games than I am at Easter road, but I've always described myself as 'country before club'. As I've said previously on here, I am the only hibby in my family.. Scotland is the one team we all support. Even without that, I've always been a passionate Scotsman in general, not just football!

Understand a lot of people, in fact it seems the vast majority, are the opposite but it now seems at times it's a competition to see who can be the most anti-Scotland haha!

Phil MaGlass
04-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Oh FFS another one of these threads. WTF. Anti Scottish thread.yet again. Why dont you fish up one of the 100 other club or country threads or just ****off.
If yi dont like Scotland there really is no need. Sorry Admins but ahm gettin a wee bit fed up with the anti Scotland threads that REGULARLY appear on here.
Surely somewhere on one of the 100 other pages or a follow follow page yi can fill yir boots. Just ****off.

Billychaotic182
04-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Love both

Dunbar Hibee
04-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Club. Couldn't give a **** about international football tbh it's a joke. One love - Hibernian FC.

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Whilst I don't get the same emotional attachment as I do when I'm at Easter Road or wherever the hibs takes us.... I'm still over in Malta having an absolute blast and cheered the boys on tonight.

Club everytime however I do love following Scotland home and away

ronaldo7
04-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Oh FFS another one of these threads. WTF. Anti Scottish thread.yet again. Why dont you fish up one of the 100 other club or country threads or just ****off.
If yi dont like Scotland there really is no need. Sorry Admins but ahm gettin a wee bit fed up with the anti Scotland threads that REGULARLY appear on here.
Surely somewhere on one of the 100 other pages or a follow follow page yi can fill yir boots. Just ****off.

:agree:

Tim Henman or Andy Murray would be better. :greengrin

This was a crane in Malta today. 17392

lucky
04-09-2016, 10:24 PM
I don't see this thread as anti Scotland as in the nation. The question was club football or international football. I much prefer club football. I've been to Scotland games but don't have the same attachment to watching the national side as I do Hibs.

northstandhibby
04-09-2016, 10:28 PM
I don't see this thread as anti Scotland as in the nation. The question was club football or international football. I much prefer club football. I've been to Scotland games but don't have the same attachment to watching the national side as I do Hibs.

Sums it up as possibly being of it's time. In the seventies someone would have a house party when Scotland were playing and it would resemble a Bay City Rollers concert. The drink would flow and a good time would be had by all. Different times.

GGTTH

ronaldo7
04-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Sums it up as possibly being of it's time. In the seventies someone would have a house party when Scotland were playing and it would resemble a Bay City Rollers concert. The drink would flow and a good time would be had by all. Different times.

GGTTH

I was in the pub tonight, watching the match with Hearts, Hibs, Celtic, and many others. All delighted to see the end result. Nae Bay city rollers to be seen.:wink:

snooky
04-09-2016, 10:33 PM
I lost all interest in the National team when they started giving out caps to players whose only connection to Scotland was their Granny once had a Skye terrier.

Ergye
04-09-2016, 10:38 PM

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/Chuckie1977/3208695673_53ea9d5b8d_zpsbx3zpgxc.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/Chuckie1977/media/3208695673_53ea9d5b8d_zpsbx3zpgxc.jpg.html)

California-Hibs
04-09-2016, 10:42 PM

So it's not just me? This guy has noticed it too? I agree, it's pathetic from some!!

NAE NOOKIE
04-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Same answer every time a thread like this comes up. It doesn't have to be a choice ... I'm a Hibs supporter and I'm Scottish and a fitba fan, that makes me a Scotland supporter. I probably get more upset when Hibs lose, but that's coz I invest more time and energy into supporting them.

:saltireflag

Hannah_hfc
04-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Hibs have always come first but when it comes to Scotland playing I will always want to see them do well. That being said, a major shake up of the national side is needed from grass roots up. I don't see it happening anytime soon but with the constant underachievement/ poor selections those are main reasons I am never in any rush to fork out the prices for an international qualifier (Hibs tickets take priority)

Oh and to those using a thread on the national team as a reason to bring up the referendum result, get over yourselves.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

connerg
04-09-2016, 11:01 PM
Gave up on the Scottish National football Team years ago. After the 2000 qualifying group stages, we got beat by England in the play-offs. No interest in them since. Craig Brown was the manager.

The Modfather
04-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Scotland over Hibs for me, although in general football isn't as imports to me as it once was. Which is probably just a natural evolution as I get older.

Season ticket holder for both and go to a large percentage of away games for both. Maybe there's something in the frequency of games and there is still an element of "romanticism" for me in watching Scotland (although the midweek friendlies are a lot harder to get myself up for than they used to be) where as Hibs having a game most weeks numbs the results (defeats especially) to a certain degree.

Although sitting enjoying a beer in Malta after a good result (if less than perfect performance- first half anyway) is just as good as post match beers in Copenhagen 😀🍺

Hi Heid Yin
04-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Club for me every time.
International weekends/fortnights really grate with me...Would much rather see my beloved Hibernian in action.
Used to get excited when Scotland had true international class players, but that was some 25+ years ago.

Ell_Chrisso
04-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Club 1 million percent

ekhibee
04-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Not denying you're entitled to your opinion.

But why should he turn out for the Scotland team over his club team that pay his wages?

If he was picked for the Scotland cricket team (as Andy Goran was when he played for Hibs) should he turn out for them?

You know you're surrounded by "cowards" every time you're at Easter Road right? That's why politics and religion should stay out of the stadium. We're all pulling together to support Hibs.
Well, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. My point of view would obviously be different if there was a league/cup game involved, and even more so if it was a particularly important one. But this wasn't. At this particular time the Scotland qualifying fixture was a more important game, clearly. I take it you think John McGinn should've been playing in the Iron Bru cup game against Turriff rather than the World Cup qualifier? And Jason Cummings should have been playing as well, rather than playing for the Under-20's against Macedonia yesterday? I suppose it's all subjective, as to which game or tournament people regard as more important.

Greentinted
04-09-2016, 11:56 PM
I'm not so sure they are entirely mutually exclusive...the big difference though is that we tend to choose our club where (excepting the odd aberration or two) we have our country largely predetermined. And in there, I suggest, the choice factor increases the passion.

Also there has been, to use a Leeann phrase, a significant disconnect between a lot of Scots and our national team over the last 20 years or so...for many reasons: piss poor free-to-air telly coverage, most games being in Glasgow, the fact that the team has been rank-lousy manifesting in non-participation in the major tournaments, non-Scots players picking Scotland to get international recognition, the SFA being comprised of professional level erses, disbandment of the Home International annual tourney, and no doubt other factors as well.

I always want Scotland to do well in anything, and I would say, aye, when it comes to it I am a Scotland fan. But I love Hibernian FC, for better or worse and all in between, because when I was a lad, I chose it to be mine for its own sake. I didn't need a passport or birth certificate to nudge me in Hibs' direction...I simply made a good choice!

Galahibby
04-09-2016, 11:59 PM
I've been away for the weekend. When I got home tonight, I sat and watched the Sky+d Challenge Cup game with Gaelic commentary, that I already knew the result of, rather than the Scotland game. So I'd say club :agree:

northstandhibby
05-09-2016, 12:15 AM
I was in the pub tonight, watching the match with Hearts, Hibs, Celtic, and many others. All delighted to see the end result. Nae Bay city rollers to be seen.:wink:

Did you party to the likes of Dr Feelgood, Sham 69, The Sex Pistols etcetera after the game?

GGTTH

northstandhibby
05-09-2016, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=Ergye;4811541]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/Chuckie1977/3208695673_53ea9d5b8d_zpsbx3zpgxc.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/Chuckie1977/media/3208695673_53ea9d5b8d_zpsbx3zpgxc.jpg.html)[/QUOT

:faf:

Fabulous Ergye. You have a way with words few people have. Any chance you might post a song or a chant sometime?

ekhibee
05-09-2016, 01:04 AM
I'm not so sure they are entirely mutually exclusive...the big difference though is that we tend to choose our club where (excepting the odd aberration or two) we have our country largely predetermined. And in there, I suggest, the choice factor increases the passion.

Also there has been, to use a Leeann phrase, a significant disconnect between a lot of Scots and our national team over the last 20 years or so...for many reasons: piss poor free-to-air telly coverage, most games being in Glasgow, the fact that the team has been rank-lousy manifesting in non-participation in the major tournaments, non-Scots players picking Scotland to get international recognition, the SFA being comprised of professional level erses, disbandment of the Home International annual tourney, and no doubt other factors as well.

I always want Scotland to do well in anything, and I would say, aye, when it comes to it I am a Scotland fan. But I love Hibernian FC, for better or worse and all in between, because when I was a lad, I chose it to be mine for its own sake. I didn't need a passport or birth certificate to nudge me in Hibs' direction...I simply made a good choice!
Excellent post, couldn't have put it better myself.

Ergye
05-09-2016, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE=Ergye;4811541]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/Chuckie1977/3208695673_53ea9d5b8d_zpsbx3zpgxc.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/Chuckie1977/media/3208695673_53ea9d5b8d_zpsbx3zpgxc.jpg.html)[/QUOT

:faf:

Fabulous Ergye. You have a way with words few people have. Any chance you might post a song or a chant sometime?

How very peculiar Sir. Peeeeculiar. I'm working on a musical project these very fine days, trying to capture the match day experience I remember when I used to go to the games. It's in its embryonic stage and depends a lot on my co collaborator, but I am hopeful of having it wafting about the ether this year.

For all the club over country guys on here, I guarantee every one of them will be like dugs straining at the leash come the big games against England, trying to escape their wives and kids, and the pubs will be full of right good song. I cannae wait for those games.

marinello59
05-09-2016, 03:59 AM
Coward.

Care to apologise and delete that comment? Well out of order.

lyonhibs
05-09-2016, 06:01 AM
Club by quite a distance but still get involved when Scotland are playing. Going to Bratislava and probably Slovenia next year. Away games with Scotland are a great experience but I never feel the depth or breadth of emotions I do with Hibs.

Keith_M
05-09-2016, 06:13 AM
I'm a Hibby and a proud Scot, so I support both.

What I would say is that I'm usually more upset when Hibs lose than Scotland.

I'd just like to point out, though, that not all Hibbies are Scottish, so maybe you should have asked Hibs or your National Side. Among other nationalities, there are many proud Englishmen that support Hibs and I welcome them all...

...with the obvious exception of that Scouse Git :wink:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/54393164.jpg

G B Young
05-09-2016, 06:38 AM

I don't think politics has a place in sport, but you make a point that illustrates the difference between Scotland as a nation and the Scotland football team. They are different things and just as you may not support the government of the day but have pride in your country, you can still be a proud Scot without supporting the Scottish football team. Your club is your club, the club you chose to nail your colours to through thick or thin. The Scotland football team is a collection of players, most of whom you wouldn't normally support on a week to week basis, and that's a major reason why a lot of club football fans don't feel much empathy with their national team.

Personally, my own lack of interest in the Scotland football team is primarily down to the fact they aren't worth watching and haven't been for at least a couple of decades.

Pete
05-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Wonder if the fact games are no longer on council telly has reduced our interest in Scotland. Ridiculous that we can watch england but not our own country.

That's a good point and it probably has disconnected a lot of people from our national team. Infuriating situation.

Hibs for me followed very closely by my country/Hibs for me and I'm not too bothered how they get on as long as they don't embarrass us.
(Delete according to how well Scotland are doing)

NAE NOOKIE
05-09-2016, 06:59 AM

Just as well mate .... Les McKeown was on Talk Sport yesterday and his obvious lack of interest and lack of knowledge of football was only matched by the two presenters lack of knowledge of Edinburgh football, a pair of ********s who dismissed both Hibs and Hearts as an irrelevance because they aren't the old firm.

As they introduced McKeown onto the show they said that they weren't surprised he wasn't a big football fan because he was from Edinburgh ... No we aren't Glasgow, Newcastle or Liverpool, but in a city of our size for the two clubs to be currently averaging 30,000 between them it hardly makes us a city where football is an irrelevance either ..... Talk Sport .... Talk pish more like.

calumhibee1
05-09-2016, 07:09 AM

Presumably nae Rangers, they would have all left after the England game. :agree:

Alex Trager
05-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Does anyone know an active hun that is also active in their support of Scotland?

I've never met one yet

Diclonius
05-09-2016, 08:32 AM
I've grown up in the era of Scotland's perpetual "glorious failure", so I don't have much affinity towards the national team. That'll hopefully change if they qualify for something.

Matty_Jack04
05-09-2016, 08:54 AM
No interest in Scotland's football team at all anymore I used to go round my mates house for games & beers and I've been to a few games in the past but now I see it as a reminder of just how far behind we are in footballing terms and it's pretty dire to watch

The Baldmans Comb
05-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Odd view?

Surely it's the opposite !

Curious to hear that if we aren't a real country what are we ?!

In response to the question Hibs always. Don't even need to think about it.

We are a pretend country who made an educated (not cowardly) choice to have English people run our lives for us.

It is a very unique situation as all other countries prefer to run their own lives but Scottish people rather convincingly chose otherwise.

Both for me as well as can easily alternate between the two.

PeeJay
05-09-2016, 09:10 AM
I like to see club and country doing well, if Scotland were playing England or Germany of an evening in a WC qualifier and HIbs were playing Alloa, I'd watch the Scotland game and hope Hibs do well ... if HIbs were playing against Hearts and Scotland against Malta, I'd watch the HIbs game ... don't really get the point of the OP TBH ...

WhileTheChief..
05-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Both for me. Went to Italy 90, England 96 and France 98 along with a load of qualifying campaigns.

Nothing beats being at a major tournament with fans from all the other countries. Great times.

.Sean.
05-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Club.

Couldn't give a ***** about the National Side. Win or lose it doesn't interest me. I'm no hating players that play with Celtic/ Hearts/ Rangers etc on a weekly basis then once every few months supporting them cause they're wearing a Scotland top.

**** wearing kilts and singing nursery rhymes with a bunch of sheep****gers from up North and folk that frequent Tynecastle etc.

International football is pish.

Smartie
05-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know an active hun that is also active in their support of Scotland?

I've never met one yet

Yep, I go to games with a couple.

One of them is totally sound, manages 100% to leave club issues at the door etc.

The other sways a bit more towards being a club fan - I think he's in the cream puff at the moment so he'll probably sit out a few games. They really aren't happy with the footballing authorities right now and it is stopping him from backing the national team. He's been here before though and come back in from the cold.

I know plenty of huns who happily back the national team. I think normal fans who go to games are more likely to back both teams but the ones who never set foot in Ibrox but get their opinions off Rangers Media etc are more likely to fall into the "anti-SFA" camp.

I would say that I put club just ahead of country right now but that has fluctuated over the years and will continue to do so in future. I haven't been to a Scotland away trip since 4-6-0 and I've become much more into Hibs over that time. But I dare say that if we were in a really good qualifying group, doing well and Hibs were floating about in the middle of the SPFL (as they normally are) then I'd get more into Scotland. And I've never had a problem hurling abuse at an opposition player playing against Hibs one week and fully backing him playing for Scotland the next week.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Do we really need a thread like this almost every time Scotland play? It seems to just be a good excuse to put the boot into the national team.

c31
05-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Hibs first always, but I enjoy TA trips all over Europe, at Malta airport waiting on the plane after another enjoyable trip, where I meet loads of Hibs fans in the St. Julluans area. It seemed every pub was playing Sunshine on Leith. Also met up with a few huns I know and we enjoyed ripping the pish out off them on Friday night.
For people to slag of TA trips without experiencing a few days away, then all I say is give it a go before you pass comment.

Hibrandenburg
05-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Do we really need a thread like this almost every time Scotland play? It seems to just be a good excuse to put the boot into the national team.

:agree: It's amazing they amount of people who don't care for the national team but obviously care enough to comment that they don't care.

silverhibee
05-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Did Wallace play in the meaningless friendly in Ireland.

He was released by the medical staff at the Scotland camp due to injury, at least he turned up, shame on the players from Celtc who never and said they were injured, my arse, bet you they are fit and ready to go this weekend for the bigot fest game.

Hate sticking up for a grass, but it was explained that he travelled to Ireland with the haters so he could get medical treatment.

BullsCloseHibs
05-09-2016, 10:23 AM

This.:agree:

High-On-Hibs
05-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Club. But probably more to do with the fact that Scotland have been so mind numbingly brutal for so long. I reckon if Scotland had more success and qualified for world cups regularly, there would be more people saying country over club... :lips seal

lucky
05-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Just as well mate .... Les McKeown was on Talk Sport yesterday and his obvious lack of interest and lack of knowledge of football was only matched by the two presenters lack of knowledge of Edinburgh football, a pair of ********s who dismissed both Hibs and Hearts as an irrelevance because they aren't the old firm.

As they introduced McKeown onto the show they said that they weren't surprised he wasn't a big football fan because he was from Edinburgh ... No we aren't Glasgow, Newcastle or Liverpool, but in a city of our size for the two clubs to be currently averaging 30,000 between them it hardly makes us a city where football is an irrelevance either ..... Talk Sport .... Talk pish more like.

Generally agree with your rants/posts but the Edinburgh average is the same argument that the FTB put forward when tried to kill us off. So not one that's really acceptable in my book. But do agree about Talksport talking pish

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm not especially bothered about international football. I watch the Euros and the World Cup, and wish all the home nations well, but it doesn't really excite me.

WeeRussell
05-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Generally a fair enough post, though I think on the flip side it could be argued that a football fan (me for example) feels more passionate about the National team as it represents who I was born as and where I come from, as opposed to Hibs who I (in a fashion) randomly chose to be my team. There definitely is a link to how much 'being Scottish' means to someone, maybe not for everyone, but for a lot of us.

As for the people who say they don't support Scotland because we've been sh**e for years, I wonder what their reaction would be to see a Hibs fan give up for the same reasons!

WeeRussell
05-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Club.

Couldn't give a ***** about the National Side. Win or lose it doesn't interest me. I'm no hating players that play with Celtic/ Hearts/ Rangers etc on a weekly basis then once every few months supporting them cause they're wearing a Scotland top.

**** wearing kilts and singing nursery rhymes with a bunch of sheep****gers from up North and folk that frequent Tynecastle etc.

I don't get this argument at all, not having a go but it just doesn't seem very mature :confused: Not every rival football team is full of baddies that you have to hate 24/7, in fact some of them are actually decent guys* off the field and friends with our players! I'm sure for the majority of them, you would be happy to support them should they pull on a Hibs top.

I despise the old firm as much as the next man - but it didn't put me off supporting my national team when Scott Brown was captaining them, that would just be ridiculous.

Maybe Rangers excluded :wink:

Galahibby
05-09-2016, 11:52 AM
:agree: It's amazing they amount of people who don't care for the national team but obviously care enough to comment that they don't care.

Just to be clear, I don't "not care" - I used to go to all of the games in my younger days but stopped going around the time Andy Roxburgh was the manager, as it was dire. I've just never really went back to it since, and just have more feeling for Hibs. For the younger fans among us - it's difficult to describe how painful it was at times watching Alex Miller's Hibs and Andy Roxburgh's Scotland at the same time :LosingTheWillToLiveSmiley:

Speedy
05-09-2016, 11:54 AM
I don't get this argument at all, not having a go but it just doesn't seem very mature :confused: Not every rival football team is full of baddies that you have to hate 24/7, in fact some of them are actually decent guys* off the field and friends with our players! I'm sure for the majority of them, you would be happy to support them should they pull on a Hibs top.

I despise the old firm as much as the next man - but it didn't put me off supporting my national team when Scott Brown was captaining them, that would just be ridiculous.

Maybe Rangers excluded :wink:

It is strange. If you play sport (anything, not necessarily football) at club / county / national level then your team mates one week will be opponents the next.

California-Hibs
05-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Club.

Wow. On so many levels.

Lancs Harp
05-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Tin hat time : Hibs fan and England fan and proud to be both. (you will have to excuse the lack of paragraphs my "enter" key isn't working!!!) I would say I'm more of a club fan than country though I think that is probably because we all have greater involvement with our Clubs, on a week to week basis rather than a tournament once every two years and the odd often meaningless international friendly for our national sides. I followed England all over the place the back half of the 90s, taking me to some wonderful far flung places like Georgia and Moldova, places I dare say I wouldn't have visited otherwise. Loved the craic but haven't been to an England game since the match against Greece and Beckhams last minute free kick. I think its pretty easy for people to feel disconnected with their national team especially if they are going through a bad spell, like Scotland have done over the recent past and take a much keener interest in their own club side, a decent run and the interest will return. Good result that last night for you boys, I expected Scotland to win but not as easily as that, Malta can put up a decent fight these days. On TV I watched the Hibs game, then the England game, then switched between the Scotland and N Ireland games. It was the Hibs game in a "mickey mouse" cup that took my interest up the most, probably says it all as far as Im concerned.

WhileTheChief..
05-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Just to be clear, I don't "not care" - I used to go to all of the games in my younger days but stopped going around the time Andy Roxburgh was the manager, as it was dire. I've just never really went back to it since, and just have more feeling for Hibs. For the younger fans among us - it's difficult to describe how painful it was at times watching Alex Miller's Hibs and Andy Roxburgh's Scotland at the same time :LosingTheWillToLiveSmiley:

Younger fans got to experience Burley's Scotland and Calderwood's Hibs.

You experienced a Golden Era :greengrin

WHAM
05-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Correct.

And then watch them crawl out the woodwork when we eventually qualify for a major tournament.

FWIW I'm probably always slightly more Hibs but I always take interest in the Scotland games. Make most of the home qualifiers these days but don't really go abroad as much.

Man Down Under
05-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Club. But it's nice to celebrate a goal/win with the whole pub/city!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Man Down Under
05-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Double post!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
05-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Generally agree with your rants/posts but the Edinburgh average is the same argument that the FTB put forward when tried to kill us off. So not one that's really acceptable in my book. But do agree about Talksport talking pish

I presume that's to do with the Mercer carry on, if not you'll have to enlighten me.

If it is I'm not sure how it causes a problem to my argument that a city with two clubs who are ( at least currently ) averaging over 30,000 between them is far from supportive of folk like the idiots on Talk Sport who dismiss Edinburgh as a football city. Even I wouldn't go far as to describe it as a 'hotbed' of football passion, but IMO we hold up pretty well in the fan stakes compared to a lot of places of equal size, bearing in mind we are not part of a large urban conurbation like many other cities of a similar population.

Galahibby
05-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Younger fans got to experience Burley's Scotland and Calderwood's Hibs.

You experienced a Golden Era :greengrin

Haha, good point 😆

lyonhibs
05-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Club.

Out of interest, have you ever been on a TA trip abroad and if so, was that genuinely your experience? Or is it just "cool" to hate the Tartan Army?

Quite a myopic view of the world as well. "You are a Hearts fan or come from north of Dundee and hence I hate the mere idea of spending time in your company".

Sad, but each to their own I guess.

Keith_M
05-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Out of interest, have you ever been on a TA trip abroad and if so, was that genuinely your experience? Or is it just "cool" to hate the Tartan Army?

I have and, while I think he went too far in his description, I find quite a lot of it cringeworthy.

In earlier years, I don't remember the same number of people attending games in the same 'uniform'; Kilt, Glengarry Hat, Thick Socks and preferably a pair of Timberland Boots. It's like some warped version of Brigadoon.

While some of them are indeed charming and a credit to their country abroad, there are far more that are just annoying drunks that think they're charming.

For instance, the locals in Dortmund were impressed by the Pipers and especially by the guy in the Kilt and Turban (presumably a Sikh). They were less impressed by the drunks baring their ar5ses in front of the train station and throwing up in the street.

Eyrie
05-09-2016, 07:26 PM

The thread title is a clear invitation for all to comment, including those of us that care about Hibs but not the national football team.

G B Young
06-09-2016, 10:14 AM
I have and, while I think he went too far in his description, I find quite a lot of it cringeworthy.

In earlier years, I don't remember the same number of people attending games in the same 'uniform'; Kilt, Glengarry Hat, Thick Socks and preferably a pair of Timberland Boots. It's like some warped version of Brigadoon.

While some of them are indeed charming and a credit to their country abroad, there are far more that are just annoying drunks that think they're charming.

For instance, the locals in Dortmund were impressed by the Pipers and especially by the guy in the Kilt and Turban (presumably a Sikh). They were less impressed by the drunks baring their ar5ses in front of the train station and throwing up in the street.

This is it in a nutshell for me. By the time I stopped going to Scotland games I was actively seeking out quiet little bars well away from the supposedly unmissable 'party' in whatever city centre square had been annexed by the tartan army. The arse-baring brigade, clad as you say in the obligatory 'uniform' seem to assume that by dressing that way it immediately transforms them into the 'best fans in the world'. An annoying drunk is an annoying drunk, no matter what he's wearing. As you say, it didn't used to be the case you had to wear a Brigadoon-style uniform and I do wonder if the fact that nobody has taken the Scotland team seriously for some 20 years now has led to the fans believing they don't need to take themselves seriously either. Most these days will never have seen Scotland at a major tournament so maybe following them has become a bit like a half-baked tribute act to better days.

GreenOnions
06-09-2016, 05:13 PM

:rolleyes: Maybe the majority just didn't believe an independent Scotland would be either the right thing to do or in our interests?

vuefrom1875
07-09-2016, 06:39 PM

You forgot the jimmy hats

The Gorf
07-09-2016, 07:03 PM
No brainer: Club

Edinburgher
07-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Hibs first but also a passionate supporter of my country. I find some of the comments strange on here such as many Scots viewing Scotland as an extension of England or Hibs to win the Irn Bru cup (Scottish cup yes) over Scotland winning a World Cup! Personally, as an aside, I think Edinburgh has become far less "Scottish" over that last 20 years with huge immigration from the South making one feel like a dying species in one`s own city!

fulshie
07-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Both for me. To all the "I don't care about Scotland posts" I would bet most of you would have a different opinion if our national team was successful. I would also bet that if our national team died and there was just a GB team you'd be the first to voice an opinion. :saltireflag

Smartie
07-09-2016, 10:58 PM
You forgot the jimmy hats

Jimmy hats are about as welcome at Scotland games as Hearts tops are at Hibs games.

Not sure I've ever seen one, I certainly wouldn't be trying wearing one myself.

Best left to Russ Abbot.

California-Hibs
08-09-2016, 12:19 AM
Both for me. To all the "I don't care about Scotland posts" I would bet most of you would have a different opinion if our national team was successful. I would also bet that if our national team died and there was just a GB team you'd be the first to voice an opinion. :saltireflag

Correct, spot on. IF and of course it's a massive IF, the national team make it to Russia 2018, just watch how quick folk will be to change their tune!

G B Young
08-09-2016, 11:57 AM

My opinion would be that such an occurrence would be a good thing, and I say that as someone who used to travel to Scotland matches until the late 1990s.

Hibrandenburg
08-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Correct.

And then watch them crawl out the woodwork when we eventually qualify for a major tournament.

FWIW I'm probably always slightly more Hibs but I always take interest in the Scotland games. Make most of the home qualifiers these days but don't really go abroad as much.

Fortunately there's no law against doing both. The thread is thus pretty redundant.

Eyrie
08-09-2016, 07:07 PM

1 - I'm old enough that I had no interest in our national football team back when it was successful and qualifying for World Cups.

2 - I'm Scottish, so I like to hear that our national curling/football/cricket/tiddliwinks team is doing well and wouldn't want to see them lost in a general GB set up. As proof, I struggled to find any enthusiasm for the Sevens team in Rio.

Yuillsy
08-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Club.

Absolute belter of a post. Don't sit on the fence Sean!!!!😂

yekimevol
08-09-2016, 08:42 PM
For me its country, love both but scotlands first.

pacoluna
08-09-2016, 09:09 PM
This is it in a nutshell for me. By the time I stopped going to Scotland games I was actively seeking out quiet little bars well away from the supposedly unmissable 'party' in whatever city centre square had been annexed by the tartan army. The arse-baring brigade, clad as you say in the obligatory 'uniform' seem to assume that by dressing that way it immediately transforms them into the 'best fans in the world'. An annoying drunk is an annoying drunk, no matter what he's wearing. As you say, it didn't used to be the case you had to wear a Brigadoon-style uniform and I do wonder if the fact that nobody has taken the Scotland team seriously for some 20 years now has led to the fans believing they don't need to take themselves seriously either. Most these days will never have seen Scotland at a major tournament so maybe following them has become a bit like a half-baked tribute act to better days.
You come across as the most anti-Scottish Scotsman I know going by your posts on this when it comes to sport. Travelling with the TA is superb, meeting and discussing Scottish football, people from all clubs/backgrounds coming together sharing stories and supporting our country, however in saying that Hibs will always come first.

WHAM
08-09-2016, 09:18 PM
My opinion would be that such an occurrence would be a good thing, and I say that as someone who used to travel to Scotland matches until the late 1990s.

So coincidentally you stopped going when we stopped qualifying for major tournaments.

Sure you'll change your tune if we qualify for Russia.

Hibrandenburg
08-09-2016, 10:27 PM
To all those that say they were staunch Scotland fans until the football became dire. "Glory hunting sunshine football fans". :wink: