PDA

View Full Version : The Cup Win - Psychology, Group Mentality, Anthropology, and stuff

Glory Lurker
03-09-2016, 10:01 PM
<presses pause>. It's 86:09, and we're giving it the Carnivale de Paris. The camera view is right down the half way line. To the right at the far end, the Hibees are bouncing. To the left, the locals aren't.

When we equalised, we deep down knew we were going to win, didn't we? And our Govan friends knew that too.

The expectation just built and built. When the board went up for time added on, we all roared Hibs on - knowing that we still had time to do It. TV, I think, bears out what I thought at the time, which was that the Sevco bunch didn't cheer it.

The legs were going under the other lot. Match fitness maybe an issue, but to be buckling like some of them were in under 90? How had they gone from thinking it was settled at 62 (? - usually fast forward at 45 to happier times!), to being in disarray not long after?

When Henderson was about to take his corner, the TV caught a couple of girls doing what I think so many of us were - freaking out at the inevitability of this move being what at last wins us the thing. Crocker's commentary - "What a moment this is", loaded with anticipation. But he surely knows that it's unusual to lose a goal at a corner off the first man. So what was it that made him pretty much predict it happening for a second time?

23000 people all thinking the same thing. It shut up their fans. It knackered their players. It won us the Cup. Something pretty primal (for want of a better word) was going on there. There's a PhD in it for a brainy Hibee, I reckon!

<unpauses>

Col2
03-09-2016, 10:09 PM
Brilliant summary.

Your right and unlike just about every big game (play offs, Derbies) I felt very confident we were going to win and win in 90+ minutes.

Why not that - we are going to blow it in the last minute feeling like before, so many times before?

The camera panning in on those c15 fans shows the two girls you reference and also a man two rows above wiping his face with scarf and kissing it for good luck and also a lady visibly praying.

That day and those moments will live with us all for the rest of our lives.

Nobody I speak to who isn't a Hibs supporter gets it, I mean really gets it.

Smartie
03-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Hmm, not so sure.

When we equalised I was just delighted that we were in it. At least we had a chance, that's all I knew, and I've seen us dead and buried and out of it many times by that stage.

What I do know is that once we'd scored there was no doubt in my mind that we were going to win. We'd done it, I knew we'd done it and there was no way we were going to throw it away. And as a Hibs fan it's not a feeling I'm too familiar with. Even at Tynecastle we were close to chucking it away after equalising.

The minutes between us scoring the winner and the full-time whistle didn't seem like hours to me. I was in a state of bewilderment more than anything and didn't know what to do. I couldn't really believe it and I think I had my head in my hands for about the next 20 minutes, even when I, er, went down the front to celebrate.

calumhibee1
03-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Brilliant summary.

Your right and unlike just about every big game (play offs, Derbies) I felt very confident we were going to win and win in 90+ minutes.

Why not that - we are going to blow it in the last minute feeling like before, so many times before?

The camera panning in on those c15 fans shows the two girls you reference and also a man two rows above wiping his face with scarf and kissing it for good luck and also a lady visibly praying.

That day and those moments will live with us all for the rest of our lives.

Nobody I speak to who isn't a Hibs supporter gets it, I mean really gets it.

One of the replays of David grays goal has a slow motion clip of the crowd when the goal goes on. I think I've watched that part of the clip hundreds of times and just watched each individual persons reaction for the whole clip. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.

northstandhibby
03-09-2016, 10:12 PM
<presses pause>. It's 86:09, and we're giving it the Carnivale de Paris. The camera view is right down the half way line. To the right at the far end, the Hibees are bouncing. To the left, the locals aren't.

When we equalised, we deep down knew we were going to win, didn't we? And our Govan friends knew that too.

The expectation just built and built. When the board went up for time added on, we all roared Hibs on - knowing that we still had time to do It. TV, I think, bears out what I thought at the time, which was that the Sevco bunch didn't cheer it.

The legs were going under the other lot. Match fitness maybe an issue, but to be buckling like some of them were in under 90? How had they gone from thinking it was settled at 62 (? - usually fast forward at 45 to happier times!), to being in disarray not long after?

When Henderson was about to take his corner, the TV caught a couple of girls doing what I think so many of us were - freaking out at the inevitability of this move being what at last wins us the thing. Crocker's commentary - "What a moment this is", loaded with anticipation. But he surely knows that it's unusual to lose a goal at a corner off the first man. So what was it that made him pretty much predict it happening for a second time.

23000 people all thinking the same thing. It shut up their fans. It knackered their players. It won us the Cup. Something pretty primal (for want of a better word) was going on there. There's a PhD in it for a brainy Hibee, I reckon!

<unpauses>

Robbie and the Yams capitulating their two goal lead at the piggery must come in for some praise which helped end our 114 year hoodoo. Thank you Robbie.

Mon the Cabbage

Broken Gnome
03-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Also, if it was meant to be you'd have hoped for that one chance in injury time. And we had one. Typically, being so close to winning it (Stokes) is then followed by an anti-climatic corner and the game peters out to extra time.

Not us. Meant to be.

madabouthibs
03-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Easily the radgest moment of my life. I have a photo of me and my lad on the pitch. It's significant insofar as, this was me actually finding him after that goal went in. :-D

Fambo Jannies
03-09-2016, 11:01 PM
One of the replays of David grays goal has a slow motion clip of the crowd when the goal goes on. I think I've watched that part of the clip hundreds of times and just watched each individual persons reaction for the whole clip. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.

The grown woman and her grey haired Dad embracing (about two thirds up), the younger guy in glasses and his mates going tonto (bottom left), the wee boy on his Dad's shoulders looking at the game and then turning around to take in the crowd reaction behind him. It's like they've become members of my family. :greengrin

Green-Hibee-7
03-09-2016, 11:10 PM
For me I was emotionally drained when we equalised. At 2-1 down and pushing on towards the last 10 mins I was just absolutely relieved that we equalised, almost not a celebration - more of a thank god moment!

I thought we had won it when stokes hit that strike across goal in the lead up to the corner. My mate said that was the chance and being the optimist that he is (not) declared we would get beat in ET. How wrong he was a matter of seconds later!

I'd pay good money to relive that moment David Gray scored. I was so overjoyed and going of my nut I could barely take it in!

When McKay tried that cross ball that went out for a goal kick that's when I truly believed and even then couldn't quite believe it that we had finally done it!

What a day... Goosebumps!!!!

essexhibee
03-09-2016, 11:10 PM
The girl grabbing her dad is the one that gets me. Pure emotion. Looks like she's bursting into tears. Wonderful scenes love that slo mo.

Col2
03-09-2016, 11:13 PM
The grown woman and her grey haired Dad embracing (about two thirds up), the younger guy in glasses and his mates going tonto (bottom left), the wee boy on his Dad's shoulders looking at the game and then turning around to take in the crowd reaction behind him. It's like they've become members of my family. :greengrin

Wonderful and really brings out the emotions in me when I see fellow fans going through THAT moment. We are truly one Hibees family!

ancient hibee
03-09-2016, 11:25 PM
To be honest I knew we would win it at the league match when they played as well as they could and still needed a goalie's error and a goal of the season to only lose by one.I've never been so confident.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-09-2016, 11:32 PM

When Henderson was about to take his corner, the TV caught a couple of girls doing what I think so many of us were - freaking out at the inevitability of this move being what at last wins us the thing. Crocker's commentary - "What a moment this is", loaded with anticipation. But he surely knows that it's unusual to lose a goal at a corner off the first man. So what was it that made him pretty much predict it happening for a second time?

<unpauses>

There is a wee ginger laddie in the row behind giving it "@@@@ing come on Hibs!" which was exactly my sentiments at the time. We had them on the run and i didn't want it to go to extra time.

Happy days!

Fambo Jannies
03-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Has anyone else noticed Stubbsy selling Nicky Clark a dummy in the build up to Sir David's :not worth winner? After SDG forces the throw-in, Stubbsy makes a 'throw it down the line' signal to him, Clark runs in that direction and creates the space for Fraser Fyvie in the middle. We all know what happens after that ....

:flag::flag:

Dav1986
04-09-2016, 12:16 AM

I love that one. The guy with the glasses? He's in shock and doesn't know what to do, what one of his pals to hug, complete disbelief like most of us I'm sure. The other poster talying about the daughter and her dad.... Is that the one after the equaliser (daughter in black away top) love the clip of the celebrations of that goal.

Fambo Jannies
04-09-2016, 12:22 AM
I love that one. The guy with the glasses? He's in shock and doesn't know what to do, what one of his pals to hug, complete disbelief like most of us I'm sure. The other poster talying about the daughter and her dad.... Is that the one after the equaliser (daughter in black away top) love the clip of the celebrations of that goal.

Yep that's brilliant! The picture ends just as he's about to lift her up. :thumbsup:

Eyrie
04-09-2016, 11:56 AM
I was thinking "here we go again" from the moment that Miller equalised for them, right up until Stokes reached the corner flag to celebrate his second. It took that long for it to sink in that we'd levelled and from then on I knew we were going to do it. Yes, I clock watched after Gray's winner, but calmly rather than nervously.

Interestingly a friend of mind who was a Rangers fan and now follows Sevco said that he was worried even after Halliday put them ahead and never quite believed that his team could do it.

dchibs
04-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Robbie and the Yams capitulating their two goal lead at the piggery must come in for some praise which helped end our 114 year hoodoo. Thank you Robbie.

Mon the Cabbage
In the Mercer tune.Tell all the yams you know that 1902 is no more, 2-0 up and you ****ed it up, it 1902 no more.

Spike Mandela
04-09-2016, 12:45 PM
I shared the sense of bewilderment, shock and joy after Sir David's goal went in but there was still this residual nagging sense of fear that Hibs would lose an equaliser. I just remember staring at the game going on like an out of body experience.

The moment I knew we had won it, I mean REALLY WON IT, was when Barry MacKay tried that long crossfield pass that just sailed out the park. I was so zoned in to the game that I even spotted that McLean had given that last second foul to us not Rangers. I seen his arm go up straight away for us and couldn't understand why some players thought it was a Ranger foul.

And then the whistle came........

All these moments are crystal clear in my mind and I wish I could relive these moments over and over again.

Scott Allan Key
04-09-2016, 02:00 PM
It all comes down to positive thinking. I know of a story of a person who survived cancer who had received counselling to prepare for the inevitable. Remarkably, their cancer went into remission. The counsellor who had helped the person's soul illuminate and diminish the fevered ego whose residence, the body, was dying, simply stated that their postivity healed themself.

I remember, when joking with a fellow Hibee in the middle of our great run last season, that'd its taking a manager who survived cancer, to change our fortunes and the way Hibs (the team- and then the supporters) think.

I don't want to belittle the seriousness of the disease or upset those with memories of loss. I am lucky enough to have a very close relative survive different cancers twice to a clean bill of health but am aware others are not so lucky. I just wonder, when Stubbs mentioned Hibs crowds generous and heartfelt reaction to his cancer when he was at ER with Celtic, and Stubb's public intent to change the psychology of the support by removing the burden of the expectation of disappointment, whether they are linked in the bigger picture. 'Sunshine on Leith''s great beauty is moving from a maudlin dirge to a spiritual healing linked to gratitude and love.

There seemed to be so many events coming together building up to the last gasp victory, we even had the celestial bodies lining up with a rare SCF blue moon! Guess when the last happened for a SCF?

'Cosmic', as Rodders might say.

NZ Green
04-09-2016, 05:08 PM
I agree, after we equalized we had a momentum that I think we knew we were going to ride until the final whistle. Saying that though, after the 3rd went in, I turned my back to the TV because it was too much, especially when the ball was in our half.

hibee_girl
04-09-2016, 06:47 PM
After we equalised I remember my main concern being that McGeough was going to have to play another 30 minutes! :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
04-09-2016, 07:04 PM
I wasn't confident of winning after the equaliser, but I don't think I was expecting to lose either. The main thing I remember was trying to gather some reserves of mental strength and emotionally prepare myself for extra time and, God forbid, penalties. I'm in the middle of a crowd shot on the BBC coverage on about 85 minutes, standing motionless with a thousand-yard stare, which would seem to back up my memory of it.

Agree with posts above that the minutes between the winner and the whistle felt like no time at all.

By the time we stumbled out of the stadium I was in a state of total disbelief, it took me about a week to process what had happened. Christ, what an experience.

mjhibby
04-09-2016, 08:34 PM
I think it took me a week for it finally to sink in. It was a momentous few minutes which has boosted the club hugely in financial terms but more importantly has totally galvanised the club. Also has left the Jambo's totally deflated with their obsession with us and the big cup in tatters.

northstandhibby
04-09-2016, 10:02 PM
I think it took me a week for it finally to sink in. It was a momentous few minutes which has boosted the club hugely in financial terms but more importantly has totally galvanised the club. Also has left the Jambo's totally deflated with their obsession with us and the big cup in tatters.

:top marks

Well said. I remember shutting the curtains the weekend the Yams won the cup in the nineties for that whole weekend. Well it must have been even worse to have been a Yam 21st May 2016. Hibsed it - You bet we did and won the SC against all the odds in the most spectacular honest fashion.

:giruy2: GIRUY Yams