PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final memories - again

hibby6270
03-09-2016, 03:34 PM
I recently retired early after 41 years employed by same company. Just before I left we were all asked for a contribution to the quarterly staff newsletter to say something about an event you'd been involved in recently and wanted to share the story.

Cup Final day recollections immediately sprang to mind. I'm sure the words don't quite explain the feelings felt that day but I've done my best. Thought I'd share it with you guys as well - as a stop gap before the DVD comes out - to stir up those emotions again.:greengrin:greengrin

Event – Scottish Cup Final
Date - 21st May 2016
Venue – Hampden Park, Glasgow
Teams – Hibernian v ‘The’ Rangers

I made the journey through to Glasgow for the 5th time in my life to see if Hibs could end their ever increasing hoodoo of years having not one the Scottish Cup, for what was now 114 years. 10 previous finals since 1902 and every one a defeat – some close and some really embarrassing defeats as well.
So, took my seat that sunny afternoon with very little optimism for the day. Typical auld Hibby eh!!

3rd minute came along - and shock of shocks – Anthony Stokes scored the first goal for Hibs. I’d never see this in a previous final. Maybe today was going to turn out different!!

26th minute – ‘The’ Rangers equalize – and yes – as is often the case an ex-Hibs player scores the goal. Thought – oh no – here we go again. And I was right…………

64th minute – ‘The’ Rangers go in front with what has to be said was a good goal – 25 yard strike from outside the box that went straight as an arrow into the back of the net. Ah well I thought, at least this time we’ve played reasonably and could be beaten by a “wonder strike”.
Then the atmosphere of the game changed. Hibs made a couple of substitutions. ‘The’ Rangers started to look a bit leggy and tired. Those fresh legs seemed to turn the tide for Hibs.

80th minute – a corner for Hibs. Simple cross in from Henderson. Stokes outmuscled Tavernier, rose above him, stretched his head and neck muscles at the ball and towards the goal – BOOM!! –the ball was in the back of the net. We had equalised. Again this was a new sensation in a Scottish Cup Final. We had a chance again. All the play seemed to be in our favour in the next 10 minutes or so.

91st minute Injury time came and it looked liked extra time was inevitable. Stokes once again took the defence apart cutting inside, shot and it was saved by the keeper but it went for a corner kick.

92nd minute – Corner to be taken again by Henderson. Deeper into the box this time. Everyone runs towards the ball. The Rangers players all miss it and our club captain “Sir” David Gray is the only one to connect. The ball bullets of his head. The keeper makes a frantic dive to stop it but doesn’t. The ball hits the back of the net. Myself and 21,000 Hibs fans jump up for joy, We’d scored. We were leading again. There’s only 90 seconds to go. Surely we can’t lose it now. Had 114 years of pent up angst come to an end. I burst in to tears like a big baby.

Pull yourself together Bruce. This is Hibs that are playing. We invented the fine art of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We had done so the week before in the Premiership playoffs.
That 90-120 seconds seemed like 90-120 minutes as everyone around me looked on in disbelief hardly being able to register what was happening or about to happen.

94th minute – The final whistle went. Hibs had won 3-2. Hibs had won the Scottish Cup. Hibs never win the Scottish Cup but bloody hell, we just have……I burst into an even more emotional state of teary delight. I couldn’t believe it. Had honestly thought that I (along wth many others) would never see this day in our lifetime. It had finally arrived. Life felt good. I was there when Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, I was there!!!

As for the pitch invasion by the fans afterwards – that’s another story. Not as bad as the press have depicted it but can truthfully say it didn’t involve me in any way. I stayed in my seat and watched it unfold.

JoeT_WasTheBest
03-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Aw naw, here I go again [emoji26][emoji26][emoji1184][emoji1184][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji471][emoji471]⚽️

Highland_Hibee
03-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that.

I know it's all easy to say now it is all over and in the history books but something just felt right that day. I remember in the build up to the match saying things to family and friends like "I just want us to do ourselves proud". On the train down I'm thinking "this is going to be a great occasion, I hope we are up for it". In the stadium the atmosphere got hold and doubt was replaced with hope. "Of course we can do this, we just beat this team 3v2 last time out, they are not 'Rangers' anymore". The moment the first goal went in I never stopped believing in the team. Even when we went two one down the place felt like it handled the shock and got right back behind the team. The hardest moments were indeed those 90 seconds waiting for the final whistle. It felt like another lifetime. What a moment that final whistle was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk