PDA

View Full Version : Media Reporting On Hibs And Letter To Editor - Reply Rec'd (apology due on Tuesday)

Keith_M
03-09-2016, 10:53 AM
<Request To Admins: Please do not merge>

The way the Media have been reporting about Hibs and our fans since the Cup Final has been totally ridiculous, with ill founded accusations repeated ad-infinitum, despite most having been disproved as a mixture of exaggerations and downright lies (e.g. every The Rangers player assaulted, players beaten to a pulp, etc).

The manner in which The Herald, Record, and even our local Newspaper the Scotsman, has written about the events of the day, and about our support in general, has been a total disgrace. These 'Journalists' appear to be acting as nothing more than the mouthpieces of the Rangers Media Dept.

Well, after yesterdays article in the Evening News reporting on a perfectly run-of-the-mill police statement regarding the game in Turriff, I finally decided to contact a Newspaper for the first time in my life to make a complaint (I'll post my E-Mail next)

For those of you unaware, the Evening News yesterday made the following claim:

"Hibs fans have been warned by police not to invade the pitch at Turriff at the weekend and to make sure that their cars are parked off grass verges."

The part about Car Parking was absolutely correct but the warning about invading the pitch was completely fabricated. The full Police Statement is in the article, for anyone that wants to check.

This might seem a minor thing in itself but it has become part of a seemingly never ending pattern of digs at the Hibs Support.

UPDATE: I received a reply to my E-Mail today. See POST 26 (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?314657-Media-Reporting-On-Hibs-And-Letter-To-Editor&p=4812061&viewfull=1#post4812061)

Keith_M
03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
My E-Mail to the Sports Editor at the Evening News

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Dear Sir,
I write to express my disappointment regarding the factually inaccurate statement in an article in your Newspaper on Friday, 2nd September.

The article entitled Hibs Fans Warned By Police Ahead Of Turriff Clash (http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/hibs-fans-warned-by-police-ahead-of-turriff-clash-1-4219442), contains the following statement:

"Hibs fans have been warned by police not to invade the pitch at Turriff at the weekend and to make sure that their cars are parked off grass verges."

I would like to direct your attention to the content of the article, in which the full Police statement is quoted, and the fact that it makes no reference at all to pitch invasions. In fact, as can be expected in the circumstances, the police appear to be mostly concerned about the parking situation.

Could you please explain to me: why this totally false statement was added to the article; who decided to add it; what was it intended to achieve; what is your opinion of such a misleading statement being printed in your newspaper.

I would finally request that your Newspaper provides a clarification in print that the statement was false, and makes an apology to the Hibernian Support.

Yours Sincerely,
[etc]"

H18S NX
03-09-2016, 11:01 AM
I, for one, can't wait for the reply,well done.

Hi Heid Yin
03-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Well done Keekaboo.
A well written letter which articulates the feelings of many of us.
I look forward to the response.
:top marks

Real Emerald
03-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Good on you :aok:

neil7908
03-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Well done

tartanhibee
03-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Would you mind if I just copied and pasted your letter and I will send it as well?

Maybe the more people that take our media to task the better chance of more of the actual facts being printed.

Normally I don't have time to do these things making me just as bad, although media reporting on our club recently has been very unfactual and I'm now taking my son (4) to the games, I don't need any hassle that has been created by a biased media if I can avoid it.

banarc7062
03-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Very much looking forward to seeing the reply, if any, that is sent to your excellent enquiry. Well done. GGTTH

Jim44
03-09-2016, 11:22 AM

If there is one.:rolleyes:

lucky
03-09-2016, 11:23 AM
How do you know it was the full police statement that they printed? As you've pointed out The Scotsman is guilty of shoddy journalism so maybe they've only printed part of the statement

Keith_M
03-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Would you mind if I just copied and pasted your letter and I will send it as well?

Maybe the more people that take our media to task the better chance of more of the actual facts being printed.

Normally I don't have time to do these things making me just as bad, although media reporting on our club recently has been very unfactual and I'm now taking my son (4) to the games, I don't need any hassle that has been created by a biased media if I can avoid it.

Not at all, feel free.

I'm actually quite a placid person normally and have never done anything like this before but I'm getting p1ssed off with the Media's disgraceful attitude toward us and our Club. This is just one article but we have to start somewhere.

It would be great if as many of us as possible started taking them to task for these slurs (others have already done so, in a very professional and restrained manner, which helped motivate me and the tone of my E-Mail).

wookie70
03-09-2016, 01:06 PM
The same story without the spin and lies. You would think a local paper would do its best to promote the interests of teams in the area but not the EEN which is as Hearts as the Record is Rangers. Nothing on the Police Scotland site that I can see.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/police-turriff-hibs-irn-bru-cup/

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Mind .... this was the paper that printed an article suggesting we were all Nazis and even though the author was battered into an apology after a ****storm on social media as far as I'm aware the paper itself never corrected the article or allowed a counter article to be printed. Dinnae hud yer breath mate.

Keith_M
03-09-2016, 03:16 PM
How do you know it was the full police statement that they printed? As you've pointed out The Scotsman is guilty of shoddy journalism so maybe they've only printed part of the statement

Here's the full statement on the My Turriff (https://myturriff.co.uk/2016/09/01/police-advice-people-attending-turriff-united-irn-bru-cup-match-hibernian/) website.

No mention of Pitch Invasions.

Spike Mandela
03-09-2016, 03:34 PM
You need to report it to ipso if you want a retraction.

northstandhibby
03-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Credit for trying to at least do something in the face of such a lying and hostile media towards the Hi bees.

:top marks

GGTTH

SouthMoroccoStu
03-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Mind .... this was the paper that printed an article suggesting we were all Nazis and even though the author was battered into an apology after a ****storm on social media as far as I'm aware the paper itself never corrected the article or allowed a counter article to be printed. Dinnae hud yer breath mate.

Well said

Still can't believe they printed the nazi editorial, written by a man who is meant to be a Hibee!

(Not that Hibs fans shouldn't be called out by other Hibs fans for questionable behaviour or actions - but the claims in at and this instance are completely unfounded)

I don't want to sound like a paranoid Celtic fan, but the media genuinely seem to be out to get us!

Lendo
03-09-2016, 05:02 PM
David Hardie is their Hibs Sports reporter according to their website. His email address is david.hardie@edinburghnews.com.

Drop him an email requesting information on who wrote the story.

lucky
03-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Here's the full statement on the My Turriff (https://myturriff.co.uk/2016/09/01/police-advice-people-attending-turriff-united-irn-bru-cup-match-hibernian/) website.

No mention of Pitch Invasions.

Good

Finn2015
03-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Good letter. I hate to feel I'm paranoid but starting to fear the word has gone out around the media as part of a concerted campaign here

Viva_Palmeiras
03-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Whilst he's at it maybe the Editor could explain if it's an editorial policy to spout nonsense about Hibs (referring to the recent apology from the bam who pulled up the Bounce on an article that was an April fool thread without engaging his brain)... It it insult them once apologise and you get two hits for the price of one?

Joe6-2
03-09-2016, 07:16 PM
If there is one.:rolleyes:

Exactly, you will probably hear nothing!
I for one am sick to the back teeth of our name being dragged through the mud, while the sectarian sc*m are painted as victims!
The press would be better focusing on the bile spouted from the West coast!

Keith_M
04-09-2016, 06:53 AM

So far the only reply has been an 'out of office' message.

Apparently the Sports Editor doesn't work on Saturdays....

If he replies in person, I'll happily post it here.

Onion
04-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Good letter. I hate to feel I'm paranoid but starting to fear the word has gone out around the media as part of a concerted campaign here

:top marks It's all they have left, after we stripped them of one of their favourite toys on 21 May.

neil7908
04-09-2016, 08:58 AM
I think we need to be careful not to take on OF levels of paranoia but there is no doubt in my mind that we are now seen as an easy target by the press and slagging us off probably shifts a few more papers with some of the more delusional blue half of Glasgow.

I'm backing the clubs silence until we find out what the SFA have in store for us but I hope after that we come out swinging.

I've said it before but the statements from the Rangers aren't just delusional ramblings, they are in effect inciting violence. They are saying to the fans we'll back you no matter what you do. Worse than that, they are actively encouraging violence by their supporters if there is a perceived threat (no matter how small or even fictional) against the club.

All its going to take is something minor next time we play them and it could all kick off.

And the media are playing their part in this casual endorsement of violence by not questioning the outlandish accusations of Rangers and the conduct of their fans.

Keith_M
05-09-2016, 05:36 PM
I received a reply to my E-Mail to the Sports Editor today.

-------------------------------------------------
"Thanks for getting in touch.

I was on holiday last week but have been informed that the story in question was produced by our news desk and not the sports department. Their reporter has misinterpreted the police statement. I've been assured that a correction (and apology) will appear in Tuesday's edition of the Evening News.

Ramsay Laing"

I'm impressed by the speed of his reply and the fact that he obviously took the time to find out why this was printed. I'll be doubly impressed if the correction and apology do indeed appear in the News tomorrow.

:aok:

Keith_M
05-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Could one of you lovely helpful Admins please append the following to the title of the thread, to show that I received reply

- Reply Received

Cheers :aok:

Hibrandenburg
05-09-2016, 06:16 PM
I was just over for a few weeks and a few times whilst shopping I nearly grabbed a newspaper before thinking, "nah".

The only way to stop this sort of crap is to stop buying the papers that print it and stop clicking on links to their online site. Would be great if someone could gather signatures of people who refuse to buy those papers and then send it to those papers explaining why.

Andy74
05-09-2016, 06:50 PM
They missed a trick. A headline of Keep off the Turrif would have covered the grass verges and a reference to the pitch invasion.

Springbank
05-09-2016, 06:58 PM
They missed a trick. A headline of Keep off the Turrif would have covered the grass verges and a reference to the pitch invasion.

10/10 :top marks
Alternatively they could have gone with "Hanging Turriff" (appealing to the more right wing 'crime & punishment ' element of the Gers support, and to fans of new kids on the block) Now that's a Venn Diagram I'd like to see.

Velma Dinkley
05-09-2016, 07:03 PM
How could the newspaper's statement possibly come from misinterpreting the police statement? Did someone park a car on the pitch after the Scottish Cup final?

Kato
05-09-2016, 07:27 PM
How could the newspaper's statement possibly come from misinterpreting the police statement? Did someone park a car on the pitch after the Scottish Cup final?

Journalists mate. At that paper all you can expect is weasel words.

Jonnyboy
05-09-2016, 08:29 PM

I was on holiday last week but have been informed that the story in question was produced by our news desk and not the sports department. Their reporter has misinterpreted the police statement. I've been assured that a correction (and apology) will appear in Tuesday's edition of the Evening News.

Ramsay Laing"

I'm impressed by the speed of his reply and the fact that he obviously took the time to find out why this was printed. I'll be doubly impressed if the correction and apology do indeed appear in the News tomorrow.

On page 22, under the situations vacant column guess :greengrin

Deansy
05-09-2016, 08:48 PM

Ramsay Laing"

Hopefully the retraction & apology will come from the 'reporter' who 'mis-interpreted' the police-statement - complete with a FULL explanation of HOW the 'mis-interpret' came about ?

Springbank
05-09-2016, 08:54 PM

Theres a rule (or at least a convention) that the apology should be in a location that bears some resemblance to where the original offending article was, ie if it was front page the apology should also be front page

Jack
05-09-2016, 09:04 PM
I was just over for a few weeks and a few times whilst shopping I nearly grabbed a newspaper before thinking, "nah".

The only way to stop this sort of crap is to stop buying the papers that print it and stop clicking on links to their online site. Would be great if someone could gather signatures of people who refuse to buy those papers and then send it to those papers explaining why.

Whilst that's what I've done I think Keekaboo has done well in pulling them up.

Similar to where the Bounce found themselves recently. If there's something in the media that's wrong and a complaint is justified then it's right and proper it's challenged and an apology made in whatever medium. God forbid we attempt to defend the indefensible as others do though!

As Leeann says pick fights you can win.

Jonnyboy
05-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Theres a rule (or at least a convention) that the apology should be in a location that bears some resemblance to where the original offending article was, ie if it was front page the apology should also be front page

Wasn't aware of that rule! I'll wait and see if they adhere to it :greengrin

Keith_M
06-09-2016, 05:23 AM

Hopefully

:greengrin

GreenLake
06-09-2016, 06:06 AM
Great effort, thanks for taking action.

Spike Mandela
06-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Well, was it in the Tuesday edition?:cb

jacomo
06-09-2016, 02:40 PM

They've got a story online about the polis praising fans for their good behaviour. Very good of them.

w pilton hibby
06-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Foot of page 2 under Corrections & Clarifications.

Keith_M
06-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Foot of page 2 under Corrections & Clarifications.

That's about the level of prominence I expected.

lyonhibs
06-09-2016, 04:42 PM
What does it say? A mealy mouthed apology or any hint of an explanation as to why someone read a police message and completely fabricated something?

There was no "misinterpretation" here, let's be honest.

There was a lying "journalist" with an agenda who wasn't expecting to get rumbled

Kato
06-09-2016, 08:44 PM
What does it say? A mealy mouthed apology or any hint of an explanation as to why someone read a police message and completely fabricated something?

There was no "misinterpretation" here, let's be honest.

There was a lying "journalist" with an agenda who wasn't expecting to get rumbled

Was there a name on the original article?

Bostonhibby
06-09-2016, 08:47 PM
That's about the level of prominence I expected.
Irrespective, well done for doing something about it[emoji106]

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
06-09-2016, 09:04 PM
what does the apology actually say ?

monktonharp
06-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Irrespective, well done for doing something about it[emoji106]

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalkforget irrespective! they decided to sneak it in, at the bottom of page 2, not where it should have been. well done to keekaboo of course, but shan patter, and more, from EEN. DISGRACEFUL IN FACT

Bostonhibby
06-09-2016, 09:26 PM
forget irrespective! they decided to sneak it in, at the bottom of page 2, not where it should have been. well done to keekaboo of course, but shan patter, and more, from EEN. DISGRACEFUL IN FACT
Irrespective, as in regardless of what they do, I wanted to recognize the guys efforts. Unfortunately have no say on what the tossers do to acknowledge that they were wrong and have been found out.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

mca
06-09-2016, 09:40 PM
They've got a story online about the polis praising fans for their good behaviour. Very good of them.

Yeah.. I Also Find that Very Condescending... The Scotsman make it sound Like Hibs Invade and Riot all the Time !! Getting sick of this..

w pilton hibby
06-09-2016, 09:45 PM
forget irrespective! they decided to sneak it in, at the bottom of page 2, not where it should have been. well done to keekaboo of course, but shan patter, and more, from EEN. DISGRACEFUL IN FACT

I'm not one to defend the EEN but, the section called Corrections & Clarifications where they print these items is always in the same place and is on page 2. Where else should it have been?

snooky
06-09-2016, 11:39 PM
I'm not one to defend the EEN but, the section called Corrections & Clarifications where they print these items is always in the same place and is on page 2. Where else should it have been?

That may be so and all newspapers do this i.e. big headline lie followed by a discrete apology.
A bit like whispering sorry in a crowded room. Pathetic.

FitbaFolkKen
07-09-2016, 01:37 PM
South Park nailed it here (http://imgur.com/gallery/IICBZ92)

Hezbelle
07-09-2016, 05:17 PM
My old maw always told us if we burped or broke wind that the pardon should be as loud as the offence so everyone who heard it, hears the pardon.

Seems she was onto something.

G B Young
07-09-2016, 05:44 PM

I think that's a fair point, although most Hibs fans would be more likely to see the apology if it was on the sports pages.

However, the fact this thread has been read more than 10,000 times is probably worse PR for the Evening News than having to print a small apology. Bearing in mind newspaper circulations are plummeting, I doubt many on here actually bought the paper to read the apology.