PDA

View Full Version : Dean Saunders meets Brian Clough.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2016, 09:44 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/dean-saunders-reveals-epic-story-8755334

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Jonnyboy
02-09-2016, 09:55 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/dean-saunders-reveals-epic-story-8755334

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

:faf: "Shut yer gob fatso" :faf:

Captain Trips
02-09-2016, 10:06 PM
Magic

Callyballybe
02-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Haha! That is absolute gold. Anyone else and you wouldn't believe it.

lord bunberry
02-09-2016, 10:42 PM
****ing brilliant. The game is worse off for not having guys like clough. Who can fail to remember him saying things like ' I don't know if I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm definitely in the top 1' They won't make films and write books about Sam Allardyce.

Silky
02-09-2016, 11:30 PM
That's a belter. Don't think there will ever be characters like Cloughie in the game again and it is definitely poorer for it. Superb story.

GreenLake
03-09-2016, 01:43 AM
Cant wait to get home and watch this.

HoboHarry
03-09-2016, 01:54 AM
Would like to hear a footie story to top that one :faf:

Dibben
03-09-2016, 06:12 AM
Lol... That's brilliant!

Finn2015
03-09-2016, 06:23 AM
Fantastic. 😂😂

Keith_M
03-09-2016, 07:10 AM
That is the best Football Story ever!

bigwheel
03-09-2016, 07:24 AM
thanks for sharing - what a magic football story!

superfurryhibby
03-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Some story. Very funny, tinged with sadness that Clough was so taken by the bevvy.

He was an incredible manager. Remember my disappointment when Hibs played Derby in our centenary match qnd we lost, 0-1 ( I think). Taking them from the 2nd division to the championship was amazing, doing it again with Forest and grabbing two European Cups was just ridiculously unbelievable.

eastterrace
03-09-2016, 07:45 AM
That's so funny , he Was some character cloughie

Scorrie
03-09-2016, 07:54 AM
That is brilliant! How funny is Dean Saunders though? Tells the story really well!!

Juice-Terry
03-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Brilliant.

Ricky Bobby
03-09-2016, 08:21 AM
There is no doubt Brian Clough was a great football manager/coach his recor speaks for itself. But i dont agree with those that say that the game could do with more like him. His comments after Hillsborough for example show that he was a utterly classless dinosaur.

Smartie
03-09-2016, 08:34 AM
There is no doubt Brian Clough was a great football manager/coach his recor speaks for itself. But i dont agree with those that say that the game could do with more like him. His comments after Hillsborough for example show that he was a utterly classless dinosaur.

Really harsh imo.

Yes, Clough made some terrible comments in the immediate aftermath of Hillsborough and he maintained his opinion for a long time. His view wasn't unusual at the time though - the biggest tragedy about Hillsborough was that so many people could fall for the lie that the police concocted and then maintained and Clough was far from alone. His opinion will have been influenced by South Yorkshire police and the English right-wing media, like so many people's will have been and we we all now know what they were up to.

And he did change his mind eventually. He also didn't live to see the events earlier this year and I'm sure if he had, he would have fully apologised and accepted he was wrong to comment as he did.

Clough had his faults, that's for sure. He could be brash and insensitive and history has painted him in a favourably eccentric light. But it is harsh to hold his comments on this subject against him as he was far from alone in falling for the lies.

CorrieHibs
03-09-2016, 10:03 AM
That's class. Football has lost its characters

Jonnyboy
03-09-2016, 10:12 AM
There's one story I heard about Clough that made me laugh. Apparently he phoned along to the dressing room one day and one of the youth players answered. "Get me a cup of tea and bring it to my office". Player answers "No chance". Clough fumes "Do you know who I am son!" Player replies "No, do you know who I am?" Clough says "No". Player says "Then you can eff off" 😀

BT58
03-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Brilliant story, and a cracker from JB :aok::aok::aok:

--------
03-09-2016, 04:44 PM
There's one story I heard about Clough that made me laugh. Apparently he phoned along to the dressing room one day and one of the youth players answered. "Get me a cup of tea and bring it to my office". Player answers "No chance". Clough fumes "Do you know who I am son!" Player replies "No, do you know who I am?" Clough says "No". Player says "Then you can eff off" 😀

He signed Frank Burns from Birmingham. Burns had played up front the previous season and scored IIRC 20-something goals for them as centre-forward. It was only after he'd signed the papers that Burns found out he'd been signed as Larry Lloyd's centre-back partner. When he was asked why he'd signed Burns, Clough answered, "He's ugly as sin and he'll scare the crap out of them."

Remember how that worked out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-eG4FbyJY4

lord bunberry
03-09-2016, 05:02 PM
When he was asked if he and the players ever had a disagreement. He said 'occasionally we have a difference of opinion, but we just sit down and have a chat about it and decide I'm right' :greengrin

Stevie Reid
03-09-2016, 05:35 PM
That is quality!

O'Rourke3
03-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Cloughie was brilliant. Dean Saunders is a fat cheat. Never rated him after the elbow he gave a non league player in the FA cup when he was with Villa.

Not watched the clip. Mirror or Record - same editorial policy, same advertising revenue. :protest:

Skol
03-09-2016, 08:18 PM
I used to have a video about the history of english football (VHS not Betamax !!!)

One clip was of Clough taking training and its a game. One team gets a corner. A big lad trots over to take the corner and clough stops play. Shouts to the corner taker

'Oi, what number do you wear on a Saturday?'

'Nine' he replies

'Exactly' says Clough. 'I pay you to score goals. get in there' Pointing towards the six yard box

SonOfDavidFrancey
03-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Best book about clough (and there are many) is by the former sports editor of the local Notts paper - can't remember his name, Duncan something - but he had to meet clough at the press conference every week and there are stories like this in every chapter. It's called something like so long as you don't kiss me - a brilliant read.

Jonnyboy
03-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Best book about clough (and there are many) is by the former sports editor of the local Notts paper - can't remember his name, Duncan something - but he had to meet clough at the press conference every week and there are stories like this in every chapter. It's called something like so long as you don't kiss me - a brilliant read.

Hamilton. I've recently bought the book but am yet to read it :aok:

stu in nottingham
05-09-2016, 11:45 PM

Duncan Hamilton is a superb writer and his biography about Cloughie is easily the best. All of Duncan's books are excellent and he really gets 'inside' his subject. I talked to him a couple of times and he told me many funny stories about his days covering goings on at the City Ground - including being banned from there by Brian on several occasions!

In Nottingham, as you might imagine, there are myriad Brian Clough stories. One that comes to mind is when his son, Nigel 'our centre forward' at Forest was still living at home in dad's house down the A52 near Derby. There had been an argument and some atmosphere over the breakfast table and Nigel set off to Nottingham and the City Ground for morning training.

Unfortunately, Nigel's car broke down half way along the A52 and he was stranded at the side of the road. Brian came down the road shortly afterwards in his Mercedes, spotted Nigel's roadside plight...and drove straight past him. When Nigel finally arrived at the ground late, Cloughie fined him for turning up late for training!

Brian was an incredibly talented, charismatic and funny man. We were lucky to have him here, there will never be another like him.

leither17
06-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Cloughie was brilliant. Dean Saunders is a fat cheat. Never rated him after the elbow he gave a non league player in the FA cup when he was with Villa.

Not watched the clip. Mirror or Record - same editorial policy, same advertising revenue. :protest:

https://youtu.be/CWzKXcsYju0

hibsbollah
07-09-2016, 11:41 AM
It sounds like Saunders might be making some of it up...trying to drum up interest for the 2k a time after dinner speaking circuit by telling tall tales about how drunk Clough got just before dying of alcoholism.

Comes across like a bit of a cock really.

jacomo
07-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Haha! That is absolute gold. Anyone else and you wouldn't believe it.

Apparently we shouldn't:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/brian-clough-dean-saunders-nottingham-forest

Just an after-dinner speaker trying to make money by making up stories about someone who can't defend themselves anymore.

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2016, 02:38 PM
It appears we are not allowed to laugh at this anymore, the world has gone mad.

Comedians may as well pack it all in now, there's nothing we are allowed to laugh at now because it's not politically correct.

CropleyWasGod
07-09-2016, 02:52 PM

Comedians may as well pack it all in now, there's nothing we are allowed to laugh at now because it's not politically correct.

As I read that, it's not about whether it's funny or not, it's about whether it's true.

If it's not true, DS deserves a kicking for making up a story about someone who can't defend themselves.

Onceinawhile
07-09-2016, 03:10 PM

Slandering a person who has no right of reply on national radio?

That's OK?

jacomo
07-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Eh what?

Get off the PC high horse for a moment, it's both tedious and irrelevant.

Other people who were at the meeting have a very different recollection of it. According to them, Clough wasn't drunk and hardly any of the memorable moments happened. Saunders is making it up.

Ergye
07-09-2016, 03:36 PM
As I read that, it's not about whether it's funny or not, it's about whether it's true.

If it's not true, DS deserves a kicking for making up a story about someone who can't defend themselves.

It's heartening to see that Brian has friends who did defend him.

Saunders is a story teller, and a pretty good one at that. He had his audience eating out of his hand, and we need to give him a little bit of freedom for embellishment, of course. It would be very disappointing if, as appears to now be the case, he's completely fabricated the events.

A kicking seems a bit harsh though. Perhaps throwing him naked, save for a pair of weighted wellie boots, in to the middle a forest in Nottingham with bird seed applied to his knackers and having him chased around by a starving Katie Hopkins would be more proportionate, and likely much funnier than his silly story.

Hearing others telling tales of alcoholics misadventures always leaves me feeling a little cold. If you want to hear funny, smart and real stories about alcoholism, in a first person narrative where the protagonist and narrator are one, then read Charles Bukowski.

CropleyWasGod
07-09-2016, 03:52 PM
It's heartening to see that Brian has friends who did defend him.

Saunders is a story teller, and a pretty good one at that. He had his audience eating out of his hand, and we need to give him a little bit of freedom for embellishment, of course. It would be very disappointing if, as appears to now be the case, he's completely fabricated the events.

A kicking seems a bit harsh though. Perhaps throwing him naked, save for a pair of weighted wellie boots, in to the middle a forest in Nottingham with bird seed applied to his knackers and having him chased around by a starving Katie Hopkins would be more proportionate, and likely much funnier than his silly story.

Hearing others telling tales of alcoholics misadventures always leaves me feeling a little cold. If you want to hear funny, smart and real stories about alcoholism, in a first person narrative where the protagonist and narrator are one, then read Charles Bukowski.

Hibs.net never ceases to amaze me. Charles Bukowski :not worth

And, FTR, I prefer your punishment to mine..... would make for better telly.

hibsbollah
07-09-2016, 03:55 PM
The whole after dinner speaking thing...I can't see the attraction in it. Washed up ex pros trying to be comedians in front of corporate clients in an atmosphere of forced bonhomie...

No wonder they have to lie to jazz it up a bit.

oldbutdim
07-09-2016, 04:03 PM
The whole after dinner speaking thing...I can't see the attraction in it. Washed up ex pros trying to be comedians in front of corporate clients in an atmosphere of forced bonhomie...

No wonder they have to lie to jazz it up a bit.

Great entertainment.

Usually loads of beer/red wine too.

I can suffer that.
:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Eh what?

Get off the PC high horse for a moment, it's both tedious and irrelevant.

Other people who were at the meeting have a very different recollection of it. According to them, Clough wasn't drunk and hardly any of the memorable moments happened. Saunders is making it up.

Are all jokes now off the table, i'm pretty sure most jokes are made up bollox. There are jokes about almost everyone these days, in fact we sing the odd funny song about a dead person.

Clough said and did some really funny things not all politically correct, if he's on the end of a joke then so what?

CropleyWasGod
07-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Are all jokes now off the table, i'm pretty sure most jokes are made up bollox. There are jokes about almost everyone these days, in fact we sing the odd funny song about a dead person.

Clough said and did some really funny things not all politically correct, if he's on the end of a joke then so what?
This isn't meant to be a joke, though. DS is telling it as a true story.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Baader
07-09-2016, 07:17 PM

It wasn't told as a made up joke though. You can't just fabricate stories about folk and tell them as if they happened. That's slander.

Pretty sure you wouldn't like someone spreading a story about you being drunk at work when you weren't.

See also 'accounts' about Hun 'victims' at Scottish Cup Final!

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2016, 07:18 PM
This isn't meant to be a joke, though. DS is telling it as a true story.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just like managers, we need to acknowledge footballers too are not adverse to telling a few porkies now and then.

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2016, 07:32 PM
It wasn't told as a made up joke though. You can't just fabricate stories about folk and tell them as if they happened. That's slander.

Pretty sure you wouldn't like someone spreading a story about you being drunk at work when you weren't.

It's not slander at all Brian Clough is dead.

Baader
07-09-2016, 07:48 PM
It's not slander at all Brian Clough is dead.

Yes. I wasn't using it in the context of Clough moreover just the general fabricating of stories. The fact Clough is dead means you can't have slander or libel suits although that will probably change - might be out the EU by then though!

jacomo
07-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Just like managers, we need to acknowledge footballers too are not adverse to telling a few porkies now and then.

We need to acknowledge that saying 'it's PC gone mad' is way off target and tedious.

snooky
07-09-2016, 07:54 PM

The trouble with any joke, no matter who or what they are about, is everybody has their own definition of what's acceptable and what is not. There are several subjects that make me cringe and I can't laugh at.
For me, Frankie Boyle (though a very funny guy) goes too far with some of his stuff.

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Yes. I wasn't using it in the context of Clough moreover just the general fabricating of stories. The fact Clough is dead means you can't have slander or libel suits although that will probably change - might be out the EU by then though!

Fair enough.

mca
07-09-2016, 08:01 PM
That's a belter. Don't think there will ever be characters like Cloughie in the game again and it is definitely poorer for it. Superb story.

My Thoughts Exactly..... :aok:

heretoday
07-09-2016, 08:11 PM
I'd find it more amusing if I didn't keep remembering that tackle on Paul Elliott which virtually ended his career. Jumped directly on his leg as Elliott was on the ground.

hibsbollah
07-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Great entertainment.

Usually loads of beer/red wine too.

I can suffer that.
:greengrin

Plenty of good box sets designed for guffaws/giggles.
Alcohol served at all good local off licences.
Genuine company available from wife/partner/pretend friend.

Why encourage them? :greengrin

Dr Hibs
07-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Didn't click on link but seem to remember Cloughie apparently once said-"Frank Sinatra?-he met me once!"

Danderhall Hibs
08-09-2016, 06:02 AM

I don't think it can be classed as slander/libel if the person's dead.

nellio
08-09-2016, 10:18 AM
I read this a little while ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CLOUGH-GOLD-Dave-Armitage-ebook/dp/B00N1RSIGM/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473329679&sr=1-3&keywords=clough

Some cracking tales about Clough in there.

worcesterhibby
09-09-2016, 09:02 AM
sorry deleted

lord bunberry
09-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Even if the story isn't true, it's still funny and doesn't make me feel any different about Cloughie. He was and always will be a legend in my eyes. Some of the things that make him a legend are things he did while he was drunk.

jacomo
09-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Even if the story isn't true, it's still funny and doesn't make me feel any different about Cloughie. He was and always will be a legend in my eyes. Some of the things that make him a legend are things he did while he was drunk.

If it's not true, it's a joke.

Why would it change your opinion about Clough anyhow? Saunders, on the other hand...

Dunbar Hibee
09-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Dean Saunders is clearly a bit of a twat.

lord bunberry
09-09-2016, 01:13 PM
If it's not true, it's a joke.

Why would it change your opinion about Clough anyhow? Saunders, on the other hand...
Some people are suggesting that the story paints Clough in a bad light. I don't think it does, it adds to his legendary status imo.

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Some people are suggesting that the story paints Clough in a bad light. I don't think it does, it adds to his legendary status imo.

Exactly, and some of what Saunders said will probably be true. So what if he is a little economical with the truth, it all adds to the Clough legacy.

Clough was hardly a shrinking violet, christ he was not adverse to the odd bung or two, and would probably laugh at someone making a bit of a living out of tall stories even at his expense.

lord bunberry
09-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Exactly, and some of what Saunders said will probably be true. So what if he is a little economical with the truth, it all adds to the Clough legacy.

Clough was hardly a shrinking violet, christ he was not adverse to the odd bung or two, and would probably laugh at someone making a bit of a living out of tall stories even at his expense.
:agree: he couldn't care less about what others thought about him and he cared even less about offending people.

jacomo
09-09-2016, 04:36 PM

It doesn't affect Clough's reputation either way because IT'S NOT TRUE.

We really do live in a post-fact age don't we? Say anything you like, even if it's a blatant lie - if people want to believe it, they will.

:rolleyes:

lord bunberry
09-09-2016, 05:08 PM
It doesn't affect Clough's reputation either way because IT'S NOT TRUE.

We really do live in a post-fact age don't we? Say anything you like, even if it's a blatant lie - if people want to believe it, they will.

:rolleyes:
I don't know if it's true or not, but you seem to be very keen to accept the story of the other guy. How do you know he isn't lying?
I don't care if it's true! All I was saying was that the story/joke wasn't disrespectful to Clough.

ancient hibee
09-09-2016, 07:03 PM
:agree: he couldn't care less about what others thought about him and he cared even less about offending people.

I think you'll find that Clough cared very much what people thought about him.He was proud of his achievements and desperate to cut back on the drinking if only for the sake of his family.

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2016, 07:21 PM
I think you'll find that Clough cared very much what people thought about him.He was proud of his achievements and desperate to cut back on the drinking if only for the sake of his family.

Was he proud of his brown envelope fascination? He went out of his way at times to belittle people, and was good at it too.

None of us were in that room when this incident happened, some believe Saunders, others believe Hill, the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

If you were as outspoken as Clough was, he can hardly moan if he gets a bit back in my opinion, dead or alive.

Danderhall Hibs
09-09-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if Saunders did actually leave his car parked at the airport in the summer now.

bigwheel
09-09-2016, 08:09 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if Saunders did actually leave his car parked at the airport in the summer now.

hahahaha :greengrin:greengrin:aok: