PDA

View Full Version : Hibs shirt at US Open tennis

G B Young
02-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Good to see a guy in a retro Hibs shirt giving the thumbs up as the cameras filmed the crowd at the Andy Murray match last night. Anyone on here got any Hibs-supporting friends or family in New York?

Also good to see Andy win in straight sets. He's had an amazing year.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Good to see a guy in a retro Hibs shirt giving the thumbs up as the cameras filmed the crowd at the Andy Murray match last night. Anyone on here got any Hibs-supporting friends or family in New York?

Also good to see Andy win in straight sets. He's had an amazing year.

Andy is a very busy guy but we really need to invite him to say a few words at half time at some point this season.

Topographic Hibby
02-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Andy is a very busy guy but we really need to invite him to say a few words at half time at some point this season.
That would make some picture. An Olympic gold medal, the Wimbledon trophy and the Scottish Cup, all clad in green and white. Maybe even the US open from Andy as well.

Get him along!!!

Wilson
02-09-2016, 10:30 AM

Aye. Bring the worlds biggest mumbler to talk over the leagues worst sound system. He could say something inaudible to stands empty of the people queuing for pies. I felt bad for Alex Arthur in the same situation so might as well feel the same for Andy.

hibee_girl
02-09-2016, 10:31 AM
That would make some picture. An Olympic gold medal, the Wimbledon trophy and the Scottish Cup, all clad in green and white. Maybe even the US open from Andy as well.

Get him along!!!

They need to get a photo of Murray & Stevenson together, both double medal winning Hibees.

G B Young
02-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Aye. Bring the worlds biggest mumbler to talk over the leagues worst sound system. He could say something inaudible to stands empty of the people queuing for pies. I felt bad for Alex Arthur in the same situation so might as well feel the same for Andy.

Both Andy and Alex are sharp, highly articulate guys (no surprise they're Hibs fans) but there would be no need to ask Andy to speak, just bring his gold medal along for a photo opportunity alongside the Scottish Cup. Perhaps the Davis Cup team could pop along to a training session when they're in Glasgow next month.

RoxburghHibs
02-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Both Andy and Alex are sharp, highly articulate guys (no surprise they're Hibs fans) but there would be no need to ask Andy to speak, just bring his gold medal along for a photo opportunity alongside the Scottish Cup. Perhaps the Davis Cup team could pop along to a training session when they're in Glasgow next month.

Not sure about the Davis Cup team - but Andy and Jamie will do :flag:

Hibby70
02-09-2016, 03:10 PM

And Judy!

madsen5
02-09-2016, 03:22 PM
And Judy!

Saw. Clip on you tube where Andy Was practicing basketball wit
An NBA player and the guy asked him who he supported
and Andy said Arsenal!!

Heisenberg
02-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Saw. Clip on you tube where Andy Was practicing basketball wit
An NBA player and the guy asked him who he supported
and Andy said Arsenal!!

That's his English team. Barca are his Spanish team.

Hibs are his team but he's probably not been to a match since he was a young boy. His mum and brother go to matches more regularly.

G B Young
02-09-2016, 03:43 PM

Yeh, I just meant that Hibs already have a good relationship with captain Leon Smith and the Davis Cup squad as well as Andy and Jamie:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-sets-up-meeting-with-with-andy-murray-1-3829486

As someone else mentioned Andy's free time is so limited it could be that events like next month's Davis Cup semi-final v Argentina are one of the few times he might actually get a chance to link up with Hibs.

Tickets for the Glasgow match are sold out incidentally, but you can sometimes get news of returns by checking this link:

https://www.lta.org.uk/major-events/international-events/davis-cup/davis-cup-tickets/

There's always a cracking atmosphere so worth getting along if you can, especially as Andy and Jamie so rarely get the chance to play in front of a Scottish crowd. Anyone who's been to watch the pros live will attest to the fact it's a whole different experience to watching on TV. The pace these guys put on the ball is breathtaking.

Itsnoteasy
02-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Yeh, I just meant that Hibs already have a good relationship with captain Leon Smith and the Davis Cup squad as well as Andy and Jamie:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-sets-up-meeting-with-with-andy-murray-1-3829486

As someone else mentioned Andy's free time is so limited it could be that events like next month's Davis Cup semi-final v Argentina are one of the few times he might actually get a chance to link up with Hibs.

Tickets for the Glasgow match are sold out incidentally, but you can sometimes get news of returns by checking this link:

https://www.lta.org.uk/major-events/international-events/davis-cup/davis-cup-tickets/

There's always a cracking atmosphere so worth getting along if you can, especially as Andy and Jamie so rarely get the chance to play in front of a Scottish crowd. Anyone who's been to watch the pros live will attest to the fact it's a whole different experience to watching on TV. The pace these guys put on the ball is breathtaking.

I'll be there. Cmon team Scotland

G B Young
02-09-2016, 07:58 PM
I'll be there. Cmon team Scotland

Lucky you, I've had no joy on the ticket front as yet.

The Murrays as ever will be key. Credit to Kyle Edmund though in the quarter finals for stepping into the lead singles role and winning both his matches in Serbia. He's doing well in New York as well.

Itsnoteasy
02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Lucky you, I've had no joy on the ticket front as yet.

The Murrays as ever will be key. Credit to Kyle Edmund though in the quarter finals for stepping into the lead singles role and winning both his matches in Serbia. He's doing well in New York as well.

It was sold out b4 the public sale. 3 day tickets were the quickest to go. Roughly £280 for 3 days. I'm just going on the Friday

HibsNutter
02-09-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm amazed by him, think he's an outstanding athlete. But has he ever shown any affection for Hibs at all?

Peanut Shaz
03-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Anyone who's been to watch the pros live will attest to the fact that it's a whole different experience to watching on TV. The pace these guys put on the ball is breathtaking.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've been to the O2 World Tour Finals a few times and seen Federer, Djokavic etc. The pace and the speed of the ball and the players is phenomenal. They must be some of the fittest sportsmen in the world.

G B Young
03-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm amazed by him, think he's an outstanding athlete. But has he ever shown any affection for Hibs at all?

Many times. Here's just one example:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14339347.Andy_Murray/

And another...

and another...

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/andy-murray-sing-when-youre-winning

G B Young
03-09-2016, 12:36 PM
It was sold out b4 the public sale. 3 day tickets were the quickest to go. Roughly £280 for 3 days. I'm just going on the Friday

Good to get there on day when Andy will be playing singles. I'd be happy to see Jamie on the Saturday in the doubles but Friday's probably the best day as you're guaranteed two matches.

Terrific win for Kyle Edmund over Isner last night. His form will hopefully stand him in good stead for Glasgow. I'd imagine Andy will be hoping he and Edmund can both win their singles matches on the Friday as Andy won't be wanting to have to play doubles again, especially as he's likely to face another gruelling encounter with Del Potro in the singles.

G B Young
04-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Andy dug out a good win in New York last night despite not being at his best. Didn't spot the Hibs shirt in the crowd this time tho!

Fine effort from Dan Evans v Wawrinka. Shame he couldn't convert that match point.