PDA

View Full Version : Any physios here?

SmashinGlass
02-09-2016, 07:01 AM
Hi guys,

My lad, who's 12, was playing last night. He was complaining before the game that he had a tight hamstring and we did some extra warm ups etc. Two minutes in, he was chasing an opponent for the ball and, just as he caught up with the other lad, pulled up in quite some pain. We got him off and established that there hadn't been a "pop" or anything like that, but that he felt a searing burning pain when he pulled up.

To cut a long story short, I'm not in a financial position to afford private physio for him, but am wondering what sort of time he's looking at being out and how to nurse him back to health. He's absolutely distraught as he lives and breathes the game and this is the first sort of injury he's ever suffered.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks

Brightside
02-09-2016, 07:27 AM
Hi guys,

My lad, who's 12, was playing last night. He was complaining before the game that he had a tight hamstring and we did some extra warm ups etc. Two minutes in, he was chasing an opponent for the ball and, just as he caught up with the other lad, pulled up in quite some pain. We got him off and established that there hadn't been a "pop" or anything like that, but that he felt a searing burning pain when he pulled up.

To cut a long story short, I'm not in a financial position to afford private physio for him, but am wondering what sort of time he's looking at being out and how to nurse him back to health. He's absolutely distraught as he lives and breathes the game and this is the first sort of injury he's ever suffered.

Thanks

Take him up to the hospital. He'll get it checked for free. If it is a tear it will be at least 6 weeks....but might just be a strain and kids heal quick.

HTD1875
02-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Get an appointment at the GP who will be able to refer him to an NHS physio, they'll give him rest and then strength and conditioning training probably with one of those elastic bands to help heal and prevent a reoccurrence.

Waxy
02-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Two weeks

Geo_1875
02-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Take him up to the hospital. He'll get it checked for free. If it is a tear it will be at least 6 weeks....but might just be a strain and kids heal quick.

This.

If it's a tear he'll also have some severe swelling for a couple of days.

IvanSproule
02-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Either way get it Iced and Compressed staright away.
Doing this in the first 72 hrs of an injury very important to recovery.

hibsforeurope
02-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks

I'm not a physio but having suffered for almost my whole time, playing rugby, with bad hamstrings I'd reccommend getting some sort of treatment to get it healed properly. Go to you local GP and they will refere him to the NHS physio, or you can fill in a form and do this yourself.
Make sure he is seen and does the rehab fully and continues to strengthen his hamstrings to avoid it recurring. I wish I had done this at a younger age to avoind all the issues I had while playing.
Hopefully he is not too bad and back playing soon but don't rush back before it's fully healed.

KazaHibs
02-09-2016, 08:05 AM
A series of injections and he'll be fine for next game :greengrin

JDHibs
02-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Ice for the first 24 hours to aid swelling, then heat all the time. Deep heat/tiger balm/hot baths etc.

Go get him checked at the doctors to make sure he has done anything serious, but id presume its just a pull.

IvanSproule
02-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Ice for the first 24 hours to aid swelling, then heat all the time. Deep heat/tiger balm/hot baths etc.

Go get him checked at the doctors to make sure he has done anything serious, but id presume its just a pull.

Can't agree with this mate. Heat is for chronic muscle problems and should never be applied to an acute injury. Ice, ice and more ice.

TheReg!
02-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Physio won't be able to do much for him right now, best bet would be to get a ice pack £5, use this for the first 48hrs for 20 min intervals.

FifeHibs
02-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Use Ice cubes to run it over the area of pain, if possible try compression with a bandage. Stretch other hamstring due to that will be compensating for the bad leg and more strain will be going through that leg than usual.
If you can get a foam roller from Argos, sports direct, Amazon use this for rolling out the hamstring, it works like a massage from a physio.

Plenty water and beetroot juice

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Suffer with my hanstring as well, recently went to the physios at Edinburgh university at pleaseance.

They are very good and cheaper than normal physios as subsidised by the uni. If you happen to be part of the uni you get it for free I think.

I know you said you can't afford a physio but these guys will see you same day and are cheaper but still expect to pay £40 an hour.

Brightside
02-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Or tell him to run it off.

Jones28
02-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Where abouts are you? My fiancé is a physio, she works for Hibs and does pediatrics for the NHS in west Lothian, if you want an appointment at the house give me a PM and she will probably be able to fit you in next week. Mates rates obviously, probably £20-25 an hour

vincipernoi
02-09-2016, 09:44 AM
take him to sick kids A&E during standard working hours (not 10pm on a sunday evening)

that would be a fairly routine attendance and there's good availability of imaging and physio if needed

leithsansiro
02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Would agree that, from my experience, ice is the way to go. Several 20 minute sessions of icing the whole area over the first 72 hours or so. Encourage him not to put his leg under any significant strain or exertion for a while. Probably would have him running about playing football for a few weeks sadly. Encourage really good dynamic stretching before playing.

lyonhibs
02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
A good 2-4 weeks. I had basically the exact same thing at the end of last season. Nothing strenuous, rest it, he might even get a snazzy bruise in a week or so if there's internal bleeding which I got.

But assuming he can still walk it with minimal discomfort, then rest and ice would be the way to go in my entirely non professional opinion

SmashinGlass
02-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. Actually going on a fairly long drive down south with him tonight so that'll be a great opportunity to get one of these ice pack things. I'm hoping it's not a tear, but suppose I won't know until he's had it looked at. All your advices are much appreciated 👍🏻

WeeRussell
02-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. Actually going on a fairly long drive down south with him tonight so that'll be a great opportunity to get one of these ice pack things. I'm hoping it's not a tear, but suppose I won't know until he's had it looked at. All your advices are much appreciated 👍🏻

I've had something fairly similar in that I didn't have a pop/snap with mine but rather I knew there was something there but attempted to play and only lasted a half. I didn't have a sudden pull--up with burning though, but did have to give in as couldn't fully extend and was clearly not right.

Amazing what the icepack can do though. I didn't have any physio, just ice a few nights and completely rested it. Within a couple of weeks, I did one quick sprint as my fitness test and then played 120 minutes a couple of nights later. And I am sure your laddie has a fitter body than me :thumbsup:

Sounds like the boy may have done more damage than me (I'm convinced mine was just from playing a few extended games, cramping and tightening up and not being fit enough to deal with it) - but it's funny how what seems real bad can heal pretty quickly. Here's hoping it is just a minor tweak!

I wouldn't rush to a pay a physio at first though!

Cabbage East
02-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Take him to the hospital.

1875STEVE
02-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Tell him to get up and stop diving!!

A wee bit of ice spray on a freezing cauld day sorted you right out in my day!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though hope he recovers quickly. :aok:

Skol
02-09-2016, 06:32 PM
I do a lot of running and in my experience you are much better seeing a physio if you can. The cost is worth it.

The first step is RICE, rest, ice, compression and elevation. If you see a physio in the immediate aftermath theres not much they can do other than advise RICE. However, once an injury has settled they have various things they can do to speed up healing and will also get you on a programme of strength work to ensure you dont just do the same thing again. Word of warning though, some of the things to aid healing can be pretty painful and make a grown man cry !

Many injuries are caused because something somewhere isnt doing what it should, putting pressure on the partof the body that hurts. Think about the number of injured players that take ages to come back with niggle after niggle. such as Dylan, who I bet has a massive programme of strength work.

Cost is usually £40-£50 per hour and hopefully you get away with only 2 or 3 visits.

The key howeber is getting the right physio. Some are great and will quickly get to the root cause. Others though treat what hurts and that leads to longer re-hab and possibly never getting better as they havent sorted what is causing the problem.

Good physios can be hard to find.

Andy74
02-09-2016, 06:32 PM

There's actually not a difference in what people would call a pull or a tear, it's a matter of how many fibres have been damaged. That is unless it's actually ripped off the bone which doesn't sound likely.

Ice, rest and elevation but when it's not feeling too tender and more a Physio would be useful. The new fibre is brittle and needs to be stretched out. Some stretching and light strengthening using one of those bands is also good.

I did mine quite badly recently. It's been about 8 weeks of Physio and strengthening. I'm seeing the ex Hibs head Physio so he knows hamstrings!

Skol
02-09-2016, 07:04 PM
There's actually not a difference in what people would call a pull or a tear, it's a matter of how many fibres have been damaged. That is unless it's actually ripped off the bone which doesn't sound likely.

Ice, rest and elevation but when it's not feeling too tender and more a Physio would be useful. The new fibre is brittle and needs to be stretched out. Some stretching and light strengthening using one of those bands is also good.

I did mine quite badly recently. It's been about 8 weeks of Physio and strengthening. I'm seeing the ex Hibs head Physio so he knows hamstrings!

If its torn, walking wouldnt be very easy at all. Many people talk of torn muscles when its just a pull. I.e. a few fibres. Someone once told me they had torn their calf and 2 days later did a 50 miles cycle !!!!!

Scooter
02-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Can't agree with this mate. Heat is for chronic muscle problems and should never be applied to an acute injury. Ice, ice and more ice.

The physio I've had in the past wanted me to ice then heat then ice etc etc. It increases blood flow in the effected area increasing recovery time

Skol
02-09-2016, 07:23 PM
The physio I've had in the past wanted me to ice then heat then ice etc etc. It increases blood flow in the effected area increasing recovery time

The aim is usually to decrease recovery time - lol

I havent ever been told to use heat either although the aim of increasing blood flow has been indicated as being key to healing.

I saw one physio who used ultrasound and an injury healed super quick. The next physio I saw I asked about ultrasound and was told it was hocus pocus !

EskbankHibby
02-09-2016, 09:40 PM
The aim is usually to decrease recovery time - lol

I havent ever been told to use heat either although the aim of increasing blood flow has been indicated as being key to healing.

I saw one physio who used ultrasound and an injury healed super quick. The next physio I saw I asked about ultrasound and was told it was hocus pocus !

https://www.painscience.com/articles/ultrasound.php

southfieldhibby
02-09-2016, 10:41 PM
FASIC at Moray house is cheap and they're excellent, they finally if work for Scotland/Edinburgh rugby. They only deal with sport related injuries but they'll be significantly cheaper than a private Physio.

Hope he recovers asap

hibsbollah
02-09-2016, 10:56 PM
FASIC on the pleasance are excellent, especially if you're not extremely wealthy.

I was told that there is no difference between a hamstring tear and a hamstring strain, they are just ways of describing different degrees of seriousness of the same injury. Hamstring muscle injury is between 2-6 weeks or more depending on severity.