PDA

View Full Version : On their day, what's the most entertaining Hibs side you've seen?

G B Young
31-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Apologies to those who already voted earlier, but it was quickly pointed out to me I'd omitted the Latapy/Sauzee era 6-2 team which simply wouldn't do!

Tom Hart RIP
31-08-2016, 10:25 AM
The tornadoes between August 72 and New Year's Day 73 were most entertaining team I have ever seen anywhere or at any time. Poetry in motion

Tom Hart RIP
31-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Ps no idea how to vote though????

yerauldda
31-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Mowbray's team for me.. I'm only 21 though. They were scarily good at times, the brand of football was incredible and unpredictable.

Galahibby
31-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Tough call between Sauzee/Latapy and Mowbray team for me. Plumped for Sauzee just cos it's Sauzee and 6-2, but the Mowbray time was special too. Unfortunately just a couple of years too young for the Tornadoes. Tell you what though, the feelgood factor is back, and this season just might be up there :aok:

Golden Bear
31-08-2016, 10:40 AM
The tornadoes between August 72 and New Year's Day 73 were most entertaining team I have ever seen anywhere or at any time. Poetry in motion

:agree:

Undoubtedly.

steakbake
31-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Watching Murphy firing balls across the field to Whittaker was a joy.

TrinityHibs
31-08-2016, 10:57 AM
I have never been more entertained than in the Cup Final this year but you cannot judge a team on one game. So the second most enjoyable game was the 4-0 hiding of The Rangers International when Scott Allan was on a different footballing planet. When you add in the rest of the cup run this year and some of the performances of SJM I have to go for Stubbsy but I think that Neil Lennon's might come very close

Forza Fred
31-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Can't recall the Famous Five, but having seen Turnbull's Tornadoes, the rest are and can only be, with the greatest of respect, also rans.

alhibby
31-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Can't recall the Famous Five, but having seen Turnbull's Tornadoes, the rest are and can only be, with the greatest of respect, also rans.

Absolutely agree, great football from a great side

Salt N Sauzee
31-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Being 22 it's a toss up between Mowbray's team and Stubbsy's.

Think it has to be Stubbs' team though, purely for the fact they delivered us the Holy Grail.

WhileTheChief..
31-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Think this might be a generation thing with nostalgia and youthful memories playing a part.

I went for Wright / Weir etc as that was the team that I mainly grew up with and have the fondest memories of.

As a one off though, the team on the 6 - 2 day. Perfect.

Michael
31-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Don't think Stubbs football was that entertaining. Some games it clicked, but most weeks was a bit ponderous.

Mowbray gets my vote. Ivan Sproule running down the wing and along the byline was spectacular.

Iain G
31-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Jim Duffy's team early in his reign when we were pinging in goals from our own half for fun :greengrin

Steve20
31-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Too young for the Famous 5 or the Tornadoes, so it would have to be the Sauzee, Latapy 6-2 era side. Mowbrays team was good, but nowhere near the 6-2 team.

WeeRussell
31-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Don't think Stubbs football was that entertaining. Some games it clicked, but most weeks was a bit ponderous.

Mowbray gets my vote. Ivan Sproule running down the wing and along the byline was spectacular.

+1

Mowbray had a team of exciting young talented footballers. Adding Sproule with his pace and passion helped to enhance the atmosphere and entertainment - what a buzz in that old East stand!!

poolman
31-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Absolutely agree, great football from a great side

The best footballing performance I have EVER seen was the second half by Hibs against Sporting Lisbon in 1972 I think it was :agree:

lord bunberry
31-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Mowbrays team for me. I was too young for the tornadoes. If we'd kept that team together we could've won the league.

buktadays
31-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Tough call between Sauzee/Latapy and Mowbray team for me. Plumped for Sauzee just cos it's Sauzee and 6-2, but the Mowbray time was special too. Unfortunately just a couple of years too young for the Tornadoes. Tell you what though, the feelgood factor is back, and this season just might be up there :aok:

Totally agree !! Trying to not get to carried away with it all but GGTTH[emoji172]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
31-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Sauzee & Latapy were by far the best side to watch. Mowbrays youngsters were also great. But for one game in the Stubbs era they will be remembered longer than rest put together

Hamish
31-08-2016, 12:42 PM

This. Sauzee and Latapy were very good and Mowbray's team had some great days, but they don't come close to some of the performances at Easter Road in the early 70's.

BSEJVT
31-08-2016, 12:52 PM
This. Sauzee and Latapy were very good and Mowbray's team had some great days, but they don't come close to some of the performances at Easter Road in the early 70's.

Agree, except that I would add remotely in front of close

jdships
31-08-2016, 12:57 PM
" Famous Five " by a " Country Mile "

:hibees

O'Rourke3
31-08-2016, 01:01 PM
" Famous Five " by a " Country Mile "

:hibees
There's always one........

Tornados. Solely responsible for me still turning up to any game expecting us to win by a few

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Bostonhibby
31-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Tornadoes, there was real excitement before, during and usually after most games and there were plenty big games. The now defunct Glasgow rangers couldn't get near them most of the time and I just wish we hadn't decided to take our foot of the gas in the second half on New year's day 1973, the yam were outclassed

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

greenlex
31-08-2016, 03:44 PM
One day we played Motherwell under Collins and absolutely bossed them and won very well indeed. Best since the tornadoes but they would take a bit of beating themselves..

jdships
31-08-2016, 03:48 PM
There's always one........

Tornados. Solely responsible for me still turning up to any game expecting us to win by a few

Sent via the bushes @ EM

And your point is ?
It's simply my opinion ( which I gained at first hand ) which I am entitled to express surely ?
I had the " honour" to play against the " Famous Four " ( Johnston was injured ) on the hallowed turf all those years ago !!
For what its worth I put Ned's " Tornadoes" second .
:not worth

O'Rourke3
31-08-2016, 03:55 PM
And your point is ?
It's simply my opinion ( which I gained at first hand ) which I am entitled to express surely ?
I had the " honour" to play against the " Famous Four " ( Johnston was injured ) on the hallowed turf all those years ago !!
For what its worth I put Ned's " Tornadoes" second .
:not worth

Apologies - Trying to be be funny on a phone in a hospital waiting room - total fail :greengrin. There was intended to be a smiley at the end. Of course there's those of us around to see that team.

I would have loved to see that team from the 50s in it's pomp. Happily I came along as the players and the manager more or less came together and became the Tornados.

Stantons Angel
31-08-2016, 04:07 PM

Undoubtedly the best footballing side i have seen in Hibs jerseys . from back to front they were class supreme. a total joy to watch.

Ive enjoyed many a game watching other era teams but none can compare with Turnbulls Tornadoes led by example by "GOD"

brog
31-08-2016, 04:16 PM

You beat me to it! A league cup win & a Drybrough cup win, 5 goals in 45 minutes away at Dundee United & Airdrie & at home to Ayr & Sporting Lisbon, every Sporting player was a full international. All topped off with 7 goals at PBS on 1/1/73, our 7th goal that day was our 111th of the season! We'll never see that again.

emerald green
31-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt, the following was the best team ever seen at ER:

Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan.

PeeJay
31-08-2016, 04:21 PM
It's Turnbull's team without a doubt for me - every other ER team pales in significance to them - (never saw the FF ... )

CRAZYHIBBY
31-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Oh jings:rolleyes:

SonOfDavidFrancey
31-08-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm with the consensus that 1972 was the year. .. All the rest 'savours of anticlimax'.

Until Henderson to deliverrrrrr... At least.!

snooky
31-08-2016, 04:32 PM

That team spoiled me forever. Poetry in motion. Class where it mattered.
No wonder I'm just an old moaner these days.

LoaningCrHibbie
31-08-2016, 04:58 PM

Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan.

I totally agree, I feel privileged to have witnessed Turnbull's Tornadoes thrasing teams in Europe and at home especially the 7-0 game against THEM.

It's been said before and I'll say it again, it it had'nt have been the fact that Celtic were so good at the time then Hibs would have won the league at least once during the Tornadoes era.

Aberdeen were lucky that their greatest ever team coincided with the Old Firm being weaker than usual we were'nt so lucky.

Also Hearts were lucky; as at the time in the early to mid 70's we only played them twice a year, otherwise our record of victories against them would have possibly have even exceeded their 22 in a row.

Highland_Hibee
31-08-2016, 05:02 PM
As has been stated I can't say anything has or ever will top witnessing us win the Scottish Cup in the manner we did as far as sporting memories go. As a collective unit I loved the Mowbray era. Probably held in higher regard with the contrast of some of the dross that would follow in years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe6-2
31-08-2016, 05:15 PM

This!!!!!

mim
31-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Well, I did see the FF, but I was very young and in any case the Tornadoes had much more than a quality forward line - they had the class of Brownlie, Blackley, Stanton etc.

No doubt in my mind - Turnbull's Tornadoes for me. :flag:

SunshineOnLeith
31-08-2016, 06:19 PM

Mick O'Rourke
31-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Of course the replies on this poll reflect the generations of Hibernians on here.
For those old enough to have seen The Famous Five team .........Its no contest.

Jock Stein,had he stayed, could in my view, have had us all talking about another great successful side

Bob Shankly was a very good manager.
Some fine players graced the Holy Ground in green and white during his tenure at the club.
He managed the great Dundee team that won the league 61/62
But Bob was in the shadow of Stein's Celtic when at Hibs.

AleX Miller ...No comment.

Certainly Tony Mowbray had us playing "the Hibs way"

For me ...no team in my adult life has came close to The Tornadoes.

I say "adult Life"
I was born the year Hibernian last won the Big League -)

jdships
31-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Apologies - Trying to be be funny on a phone in a hospital waiting room - total fail :greengrin. There was intended to be a smiley at the end. Of course there's those of us around to see that team.

I would have loved to see that team from the 50s in it's pomp. Happily I came along as the players and the manager more or less came together and became the Tornados.

Thanks for that and no offence taken!! :greengrin
Realise that at 84 I have been lucky to watch 76 years of Hibernian FC's up and downs and boy have there been a few :na na:
The big thing was we were given the chance just after WW2 to watch this collection of players at ER that no one had seen the likes of before and as you can imagine it had a lasting effect on people of my generation .
We had style , trophies etc to brag about !!
Still I got what I really wanted in May 2016 - the Scottish Cup at ER
Ned's team was as close as I have seen to challenging the FF
" When will we see their likes again "

Thanks again

Mick O'Rourke
31-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that and no offence taken!! :greengrin
Realise that at 84 I have been lucky to watch 76 years of Hibernian FC's up and downs and boy have there been a few :na na:
The big thing was we were given the chance just after WW2 to watch this collection of players at ER that no one had seen the likes of before and as you can imagine it had a lasting effect on people of my generation .
We had style , trophies etc to brag about !!
Still I got what I really wanted in May 2016 - the Scottish Cup at ER
Ned's team was as close as I have seen to challenging the FF
" When will we see their likes again "

Thanks again
Good on ye JD
Love that cheeky emoticon !

It was once(or more) said that had Gordon Smith been English .his name would have be immortalised in England alongside the likes of Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney et al

northstandhibby
31-08-2016, 07:06 PM

Has to be this team without a doubt for me. Although I really enjoyed the Alex McLeish of Latapy, Sauzee, John O neill etcetera which was absolutely fantastic too. Oh and of course the 2016 Legends.

Mon the Cabbage

Earlydelivery
31-08-2016, 07:10 PM
To young for the 5 but being raised on the tornadoes they were probably the best side never to win a championship

xyz23jc
31-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm with the consensus that 1972 was the year. .. All the rest 'savours of anticlimax'.

Until Henderson to deliverrrrrr... At least.!

This 100%. Any team featuring ALEX EDWARDS was sublime, but to end 114 years of hurt make that TEAM extra special....FACT. END OF. ETC.:greengrin

overdrive
31-08-2016, 07:28 PM
The Bobby Williamson team pre-Brown, Thomson and Whittaker.

Dan Sarf
31-08-2016, 07:34 PM
The Bobby Williamson team pre-Brown, Thomson and Whittaker.

Golden days! :greengrin

greenpaper55
31-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Turnbulls team for me, any side that can beat Napoli 5-0 the year they won the Italian league must be some side. I was to young to see the famous five and by all accounts they were outstanding and they were the last Hibs side to win the league and three times as well which i doubt we will ever see the likes of again.