PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths out of Scotland squad!

Real Emerald
30-08-2016, 05:25 PM
As it says and Tony Watt with one goal to his name gets a call up, WTF is going on?

Delboy4
30-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Tony *** Watt 🙈😳🙈

neil7908
30-08-2016, 05:29 PM
Hilarious that Watt gets a call up. Jase would have a field day against that lot

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Tony Watt ... F me, is it April the first :faf:

lyonhibs
30-08-2016, 05:32 PM
Why is Griffiths out? He was banging them in against Aberdeen a week ago?

Hermit Crab
30-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Maybe Celtic are selling him and the new club want him injury free. :greengrin

Real Emerald
30-08-2016, 05:34 PM

We've not seen these tactics before from the old firm have we? 🙄

Hibernian Verse
30-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Hilarious that Watt gets a call up. Jase would have a field day against that lot
He's needed for the U21s

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Coults1875
30-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Ross McCormack and Jordan Rhodes must seriously be wondering what they need to do to get in this squad. Even after call offs they still aren't the next choice.

NadeAteMyLunch!
30-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Tony ****ing Watt. One deflected goal in his first 8 or so games for Hearts. Unbelievable

HibernianJK
30-08-2016, 05:37 PM
He's needed for the U21s

Irrelevant really. First team takes priority. Cummings better player at the moment and has been for 2.5 seasons now.

Stevie Reid
30-08-2016, 05:38 PM
LG is injured.

Real Emerald
30-08-2016, 05:40 PM
It just takes the piss out of all the strikers over the years who couldn't get a look in. WTF has he done to warrant a Scotland call up. It's an astonishing selection.

The Captain....
30-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Absolutely gobsmacked that Tony Watt is being drafted in to that squad....done **** all for long enough and has hardly looked a goal threat for Hearts (not being 6 foot 11 doesn't help right enough)

Strachan has totally lost the plot Scotland wise in the last few months. He;s become a parody of himself imo.

lucky
Tony Watt is an embarrassing call up. FFS he's been crap at every club he's been too and scored 1 goal for the puddle drinkers

Hibernian Verse
Irrelevant really. First team takes priority. Cummings better player at the moment and has been for 2.5 seasons now.
Not if he's not going to play. Why would he start ahead of Fletcher?

macca70
30-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Unbelievable, Celtic pull Griffiths out of a Scotland squad the week before an Old Firm game.

I'd love to see stats of percentage of old firm players that pull out of Scotland Squads.

Maybe we need to introduce an independent medical to allow withdrawal from international duty.

Griffiths was overlooked for Scotland for long enough, so could understand if he was putting club priorities before country.

Bishop Hibee
30-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Griffiths isn't fit. Disappointing as this was a great chance to stake a claim as the top striker. Rhodes isn't starting for Middlesbrough but to pick Watt ahead of McCormack!?! There must have been a falling out between him and Strachan.

Brightside
30-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Griffiths isn't fit. Disappointing as this was a great chance to stake a claim as the top striker. Rhodes isn't starting for Middlesbrough but to pick Watt ahead of McCormack!?! There must have been a falling out between him and Strachan.

Strachan shouldnt even be allowed to pick the the local pubs darts team. He is a total clown.

HibernianJK
30-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Not if he's not going to play. Why would he start ahead of Fletcher?

Are Oliver Burker and John Mcginn going to start? Highly unlikely. Why bother taking them? Could both play U21 I believe.

Brightside
30-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Are Oliver Burker and John Mcginn going to start? Highly unlikely. Why bother taking them? Could both play U21 I believe.

Both should start as both are much better than anything else we have in the squad.

Lago
30-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Strachan shouldnt even be allowed to pick the the local pubs darts team. He is a total clown.
He has completely lost the plot.:confused:

Roxyhibee
30-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Utterly bizarre and ridiculous decision by Strachan.!! He's been missing sitters left right and centre since he arrived at Swiney.

This game against Malta has to be taken very, very seriously.

Tony Watt.?? - Christ almighty.!! I'm putting Wee Gordy under a big microscope now....

CorrieHibs
30-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Tony Watt lol. What's Ross McCormack did to Strachan? This is a perfect game for Rhodes as well. Really can't see how Watt gets a call up.

Just Jimmy
30-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Good. I hope cummings and mcginn for that matter never play for Scotland whilst at Hibs. I don't care what anyone says, international football is a complete irrelevance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
30-08-2016, 06:17 PM
I see the grass has been drafted in too. Must have recovered from his extensive injuries

KeithTheHibby
30-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Probably boned his daughter like Deek did. Allegedly.:greengrin

TheGreenMan
30-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Kiran Tierney out too

HibernianJK
30-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Both should start as both are much better than anything else we have in the squad.

I wouldn't say so. A lot of the midfield have had excellent starts to the campaign as well. Snodgrass, Brown (although a facade I think), Bannan, McDonald have all been playing very well.

neil7908
30-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Kiran Tierney out too

What a joke, is there really any doubt that both players will be fit for the OF game?

Unseen work
30-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Absolute disgrace and a slap in the face to a lot of Scottish strikers.

Cummings should be streets ahead of watt regarding a call up.

What has watt done in his career? Scored against barca then bounced from club to club without ever settling or nailing down a place.

Cummings has consistently scored goals at whatever level he has played at, no matter the opposition for 2 years straight.

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2016, 07:17 PM
i'm starting to dislike the wee man as scotland boss

Brightside
30-08-2016, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't say so. A lot of the midfield have had excellent starts to the campaign as well. Snodgrass, Brown (although a facade I think), Bannan, McDonald have all been playing very well.

Burke is the best player in the squad!

Allant1981
30-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Burke is the best player in the squad!

Based on his price tag or have you actually seen him play? I only ask as i had never heard of him until a few months ago so to say he is the best player in the squad is quite a statement. Is he really better than the guys currently playing in the premier league?

Argylehibby
30-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Strachan said a week or two back to justify leaving certain players out of squad that he selected the squad based on how he intended playing and so he would look at similar players for 1st and 2nd choices. How Watt is considered in any way similar to Griffiths is beyond me so his reasons are more rediculous now than they were at the time.

Brightside
30-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Based on his price tag or have you actually seen him play? I only ask as i had never heard of him until a few months ago so to say he is the best player in the squad is quite a statement. Is he really better than the guys currently playing in the premier league?

Ive seen him play for Forest - he is quality. The price tag is there for a reason. Closest thing Scotland has to a great player.

northstandhibby
30-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Ive seen him play for Forest - he is quality. The price tag is there for a reason. Closest thing Scotland has to a great player.

I've not seen him play at all but a team like Leipzig wouldn't pay 13 million or thereabouts for him if he wasn't a bit special. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action.

GGTTH

Steve-O
30-08-2016, 08:34 PM
If Strachan doesn't win this game our campaign is down the tubes already and he should walk.

Weststandwanab
30-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Maybe Celtic are selling him and the new club want him injury free. :greengrin

No he is injured.

Tony ****ing Watt. One deflected goal in his first 8 or so games for Hearts. Unbelievable

Ex Celtic that is the only requirement to get into the Scotland squad managed by Strachan

Unbelievable, Celtic pull Griffiths out of a Scotland squad the week before an Old Firm game.

I'd love to see stats of percentage of old firm players that pull out of Scotland Squads.

Maybe we need to introduce an independent medical to allow withdrawal from international duty.

Griffiths was overlooked for Scotland for long enough, so could understand if he was putting club priorities before country.

Game against The Rangers is far more important than a Scotland game to Celtic the club..

i'm starting to dislike the wee man as scotland boss

Just starting ?

He sure is.

CB_NO3
30-08-2016, 08:38 PM
How can you pick Tony Watt before Jordan Rhodes or Ross McCormack? Strachan is a muppet.

Carheenlea
30-08-2016, 08:39 PM
The most laughable Scotland call up since Gary Mackay.

:faf:

ancient hibee
30-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Clearly Celtic are not risking their players.For those who haven't seen Burke-he's already played for Scotland-is it because they really haven't seen him or is it because he made no impression on them?I heard John McGovern being interviewed by somebody trying to equate Burke to Bale-he just laughed at her politely.

XXIVMMXVI
30-08-2016, 08:44 PM

And the only reason Rhodes isn't getting a game is because they have Negredo! It's crazy Watt has been picked ahead of the two players you mentioned tho!

Ronniekirk
30-08-2016, 08:44 PM
How can you pick Tony Watt before Jordan Rhodes or Ross McCormack? Strachan is a muppet.

Has anyone heard Strachans explanation for this call up Does seem desperate

Greenworld
30-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Scotland are going backwards under Strachan. ..he had a good start but poor decisions will cost his job the players not being picked are the luck ones at the mo

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
30-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Scotland are going backwards under Strachan. ..he had a good start but poor decisions will cost his job the players not being picked are the luck ones at the mo

Wanted Strachan for the job a few years ago and thought he would be a good manager for us.

We won't qualify for Russia so we might aswell play the upcoming youngsters Burke, Paterson, Tierney, McGinn and others.

Greenworld
30-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Wanted Strachan for the job a few years ago and thought he would be a good manager for us.

We won't qualify for Russia so we might aswell play the upcoming youngsters Burke, Paterson, Tierney, McGinn and others.
Yes as I said he started well....but his stubborn arrogance for not picking certain players will be his downfall ...

hibbygraham
30-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Went to quite a lot of Charlton games when he was down here. Very good player when on form. Probably has more pace than any other plausible replacement for Griffiths, which probably appeals to Strachan.

ancient hibee
30-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Went to quite a lot of Charlton games when he was down here. Very good player when on form. Probably has more pace than any other plausible replacement for Griffiths, which probably appeals to Strachan.

Griffiths wouldn't have been in Strachan's starting 11.He'd only put him on out of desperation if things were going wrong.If he wants to Fletcher's strengths why doesn't he have someone in the squad like him?

fulshie
30-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Griffiths out! Teirney out! Is there an old firm game in the horizon?? Tony Watt as a replacement! my goodness. Ross McCormack, Jason Cummings, Jordan Rhodes???? WTF is Strachan all about?:confused:

hibbysam
30-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Good. I hope cummings and mcginn for that matter never play for Scotland whilst at Hibs. I don't care what anyone says, international football is a complete irrelevance.

Apart from add fortunes to their potential value...

Just Jimmy
30-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Apart from add fortunes to their potential value...
Does it? Who paid an extra 5 or 10 million cos someone played for Scotland?

Regardless. All that matters is hibs.

hibee-boys
30-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Couldn't give 2 hoots about the Scottish national team, gave up having any emotional attachment when we started playing hired guns with Scottish granny's from the English championship. I hoped that when Strachan got the job he'd shake things up a bit, but no, jobs for the boys and old firm players getting fast tracked into squads.

meister
30-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Tony Watt has been tremendous for us since he signed, he's brought an ability to create chances for himself and pace that we've lacked for some time now. Granted he's only got one goal but his overall contribution has been massive.

I don't think it's a terrible call up but I'd agree that McCormack, Rhodes and Cummings will be rightly pissed off that they're not getting the nod. I would have selected all of them before Watt.

Is it a Celtic thing ? No doubt in my mind.

Tyler Durden
31-08-2016, 06:25 AM
Any Scotland game now spawns a thread on here with predictable nonsense spouted.

Griffiths is injured. Watt has been excellent for Hearts and been in previous Scotland squads, is this really a big shock?

Strachan obviously doesn't rate McCormack - that's his prerogative. Does anyone really think McCormack would make a big difference to this team playing one up front? Is he better than Anya, Maloney or Ritchie on the wing?

Then we have "He never gives young players a chance"...... Ignoring McGinn, Tierney, Burke, Paterson, Robertson to name a few.

Apparently he shows a Celtic biase yet simultaneously gets slated for not picking Griffiths.

"Why does he pick Fletcher?" Ignoring lots of good Fletch performances, assists vs Germany, cracking goal vs Poland.

"Our centre halves are garbage". Difficult to argue but none of us can name better options - despite some people here suggesting Paul Hanlon deserves a call up!

People need to get a grip, the team definitely went downhill in the second part of Euros campaign but we're not far away and I don't see any better candidates out there than Strachan

California-Hibs
31-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Any Scotland game now spawns a thread on here with predictable nonsense spouted.

Griffiths is injured. Watt has been excellent for Hearts and been in previous Scotland squads, is this really a big shock?

Strachan obviously doesn't rate McCormack - that's his prerogative. Does anyone really think McCormack would make a big difference to this team playing one up front? Is he better than Anya, Maloney or Ritchie on the wing?

Then we have "He never gives young players a chance"...... Ignoring McGinn, Tierney, Burke, Paterson, Robertson to name a few.

Apparently he shows a Celtic biase yet simultaneously gets slated for not picking Griffiths.

"Why does he pick Fletcher?" Ignoring lots of good Fletch performances, assists vs Germany, cracking goal vs Poland.

"Our centre halves are garbage". Difficult to argue but none of us can name better options - despite some people here suggesting Paul Hanlon deserves a call up!

People need to get a grip, the team definitely went downhill in the second part of Euros campaign but we're not far away and I don't see any better candidates out there than Strachan

100% with you, my feelings exactly!

The hypocrisy and negativity for the sake of it on here regarding the national team is embarrassing.

Brightside
31-08-2016, 08:33 AM

Strachan is a dinosaur, and was happy to have another dinosaur in McCall as his main yes man. He openly admits that the players on the pitch don't have the ability to pass the balls like other euro nations but continues to play them....as long as we play to our strength. Well we have no strength so play the younger more talented players and let them be coached by someone who wants players to develop. We will end up beating Malta 1-0 and Strachan will continue to get away with it and continue to fail to qualify, and it will never be his fault as he;s good at making jokey remarks to Reporters.

The Harp Awakes
31-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Utterly bizarre and ridiculous decision by Strachan.!! He's been missing sitters left right and centre since he arrived at Swiney.

This game against Malta has to be taken very, very seriously.

Tony Watt.?? - Christ almighty.!! I'm putting Wee Gordy under a big microscope now....

After a promising start managing the national side I think Strachan is seriously messing things up now with his team/squad selection. I still believe it was mainly due to his failings that we didn't qualify for Euro 2016. His team selection and tactics were inexplicable at times, particularly in the defeat to Georgia where he played it too cagey and refused to play Griffiths.

I hope I'm wrong but our chances of qualifying for the next World Cup seem slim.

Albanian Hibs
31-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Tony Watt 😂😂😂

silverhibee
31-08-2016, 01:20 PM

Griffiths will be fit, probably knows he won't be starting for Scotland and with the biggest game in the world not far away Brendan Rogers wouldn't have been keen for him to go away on international duty.

Who's McCormacks agent. :cb

lord bunberry
31-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Picking Watt and not picking Gray confirms that Strachan has lost the plot.

bigwheel
31-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Picking Watt and not picking Gray confirms that Strachan has lost the plot.

Other than McCormack , there are not many obvious replacements - Watt seems as good as any I can think off

Are you meaning David Gray ? For international football ? Really ?

Hamish
31-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Other than McCormack , there are not many obvious replacements - Watt seems as good as any I can think off

Is Sir David any worse than Hutton?

Really?

lord bunberry
31-08-2016, 02:47 PM

David Grays name should be printed in the team sheet at the printers before its given to the manager.

Allant1981
31-08-2016, 04:21 PM

What about rhodes? Or cummings, lets face it we are playing malta not germany and cummings has scored against better as has rhodes. If mcginn can get in the squad then its not because we are playing in the first division

WeeRussell
01-09-2016, 11:28 AM
What about rhodes? Or cummings, lets face it we are playing malta not germany and cummings has scored against better as has rhodes. If mcginn can get in the squad then its not because we are playing in the first division

I wouldn't have argued that Cummings should be in the squad.... until he called up Tony Watt.

Tony What?!

Waxy
01-09-2016, 11:34 AM
No lookin forward to this qualifying campaign if he's going to pick Watt over Cummings.

CorrieHibs
01-09-2016, 01:47 PM
No lookin forward to this qualifying campaign if he's going to pick Watt over Cummings.

Not looking forward to this campaign full stop.

I think Strachan should of walked after his failing to qualify for the euros.

SeanWilson
01-09-2016, 02:16 PM

Cummings has a nack for goals but he's a selfish player at the best of times and nowhere near ready to play international football. Scotland need hard workers on and off the ball.

That said, against Malta, it is an opportunity to try new things, something Strachan seldom does.

hibbysam
01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Cummings has a nack for goals but he's a selfish player at the best of times and nowhere near ready to play international football. Scotland need hard workers on and off the ball.

That said, against Malta, it is an opportunity to try new things, something Strachan seldom does.

Can't be that far away considering he starts every single game for the 21's.

Scott Allan Key
01-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Can't be that far away considering he starts every single game for the 21's.

As did Hanlon but that hasn't born fruit for him yet.

hibee-boys
02-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Suggestion in the press that Tony Watt may start on Sunday for Scotland, the guy has scored 30 goals in his career! Is this the best Strachan can come up with? Rhodes and McCormack must be wondering what he's on.....because I certainly am! If super John plays I wish him well however not fussed about the score line, just hope he comes back in one piece!

Real Emerald
02-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Lee Wallace withdraws now due to injury but flies to Belfast with Rangers. Wonder if all these call offs will be fit for bigot fest next week. :confused:

Whatever the truth it just doesn't look good.

JimBHibees
02-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Lee Wallace withdraws now due to injury but flies to Belfast with Rangers. Wonder if all these call offs will be fit for bigot fest next week. :confused:

Very odd to be honest. If injured why would he fly to somewhere else surely would just rest up. Very strange. Can you imagine the press outcry if a non-Rangers player did the same he would be slaughtered.

Brightside
02-09-2016, 05:55 PM

He simply shouldnt be considered for the next few games.

WoreTheGreen
02-09-2016, 05:56 PM

He had to pull out his doc diagnosed a severe case of grassaitous . Shame really just getting over his almost lynching

lord bunberry
02-09-2016, 05:56 PM

He's a grass without honour. Typical Hun.

alhibby
02-09-2016, 06:03 PM

Listened to a wee bit of the Radio Clyde Football phone in, some Sevco fans calling in delighted that he pulled out and reckon he did it because hes not happy with the SFA over the way they have been treated since the Cup Final and the latest SFA charge

Smartie
02-09-2016, 06:06 PM
If he pulled out through injury, can the SPFL not insist that he misses the next club game?

Sure there was going to be a rule introduced to that effect at some point.

It would be funny if they did……..

Scottie
02-09-2016, 06:16 PM
All the call off's will be the first one's banging on the door if they are not included in the up coming game against Engerland in November.

What an insult to your country calling off so your fit for the biggotfest the week after. :fuming:

****er's don't know they are born.

greenlex
02-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Clubs pay their wages. The clubs should be able to pull players from games if they are carrying injuries. I also think if players are injured on international duty the SFA should pay their wages till they recover.

barcahibs
02-09-2016, 11:01 PM
If he pulled out through injury, can the SPFL not insist that he misses the next club game?

Sure there was going to be a rule introduced to that effect at some point.

It would be funny if they did……..

Just seen this on another thread, that can't possibly be true can it? Why should you have to turn out for an international game if you or club don't want to?

Is this really a rule?

neil7908
03-09-2016, 07:53 AM
So Scott Brown just retired, Griffiths and Tierney are suddenly injured and now Wallace, who was JUST called up is out as well. A patterns seems to be emerging here, I wonder if there respective clubs have a particular game coming up?

Greenworld
03-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Is there not a rule saying they can't play for the club for so many days