PDA

View Full Version : Pitch invasion: crossing the halfway line.

matty_f
30-08-2016, 07:25 AM
When did not crossing the halfway line during a pitch invasion become a thing? I've never seen a pitch invasion where folk have run on and then gone 'Steady on chaps, let's stick to one half of the field!'

However there were several references on TV, print, radio and iirc the report, where our fans crossing the halfway line was specifically called out as particularly unacceptable and a form of aggression against the The Rangers support.

Nobody seems to have challenged this at all, and so I'm wondering when this unwritten rule of pitch invasion conduct came into play?

calumhibee1
30-08-2016, 07:32 AM
When did not crossing the halfway line during a pitch invasion become a thing? I've never seen a pitch invasion where folk have run on and then gone 'Steady on chaps, let's stick to one half of the field!'

However there were several references on TV, print, radio and iirc the report, where our fans crossing the halfway line was specifically called out as particularly unacceptable and a form of aggression against the The Rangers support.

Nobody seems to have challenged this at all, and so I'm wondering when this unwritten rule of pitch invasion conduct came into play?

I can't be arsed searching for any other pitch invasions for an example., however they all cover the full pitch. The reason ours was a disgrace is cause it was against the Queens XI, pure and simple. Anyone that believes that there has ever been a pitch invasion in recent years where some of the fans on the pitch weren't goading the losing fans are kidding themselves on. The others just manage to avoid coming on for a fight.

Mr White
30-08-2016, 07:45 AM
A new rule that's been invented for the benefit of newco. Makes a change from rules being conveniently ignored for them I suppose.

Cabbage East
30-08-2016, 07:49 AM
The justifying of the The Rangers fans actions in the media has been absolutely mental. But they crossed the half way line! They goaded!

Gies a break.

lucky
30-08-2016, 08:09 AM
There are no rules on this but the reality as soon as Hibs fans went on the pitch they were always going to be confronted by Rangers fans doing the same. In the independent report the Rangers fans started coming on the pitch 11 seconds after Hibs fans. So no Hibs fan would have even reached the halfway line by then.

Bostonhibby
30-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Its an interesting one, it's a bit of a lengthy and unenjoyable watch but if you skip to around 1hour 35 minutes on the attached link you will see that as far back as 1972 fans of the now defunct Glasgow rangers were charting the territory beyond half way even then, indeed Archie McPherson even makes reference to being assaulted by Rangers supporters in his commentary. They seem to have got everywhere on that occasion.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=you+tube+rangers+pitch+invasion+barcelona#id=34&vid=ffaf78fbced79a243532fe7049a1ef09&action=click

portyhibernian
30-08-2016, 09:23 AM
I can't be arsed searching for any other pitch invasions for an example., however they all cover the full pitch. The reason ours was a disgrace is cause it was against the Queens XI, pure and simple. Anyone that believes that there has ever been a pitch invasion in recent years where some of the fans on the pitch weren't goading the losing fans are kidding themselves on. The others just manage to avoid coming on for a fight.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

HFC07
30-08-2016, 09:42 AM
There are no rules on this but the reality as soon as Hibs fans went on the pitch they were always going to be confronted by Rangers fans doing the same. In the independent report the Rangers fans started coming on the pitch 11 seconds after Hibs fans. So no Hibs fan would have even reached the halfway line by then.

Aye I don't think us Hibees quite have the pace if Usain Bolt to cross the line in time.

InchHibby
30-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Its an interesting one, it's a bit of a lengthy and unenjoyable watch but if you skip to around 1hour 35 minutes on the attached link you will see that as far back as 1972 fans of the now defunct Glasgow rangers were charting the territory beyond half way even then, indeed Archie McPherson even makes reference to being assaulted by Rangers supporters in his commentary. They seem to have got everywhere on that occasion.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=you+tube+rangers+pitch+invasion+barcelona#id=34&vid=ffaf78fbced79a243532fe7049a1ef09&action=click

You could go back further to the Scottish Cup Final of 1909 between old Rangers and Celtic, when after the first replay which ended in a draw, they both invaded the pitch, tore down the goalposts, ripped up the turf, ending in the next replay being cancelled and the cup being withheld for that season.
So it was them that started it.

Bostonhibby
30-08-2016, 10:06 AM
You could go back further to the Scottish Cup Final of 1909 between old Rangers and Celtic, when after the first replay which ended in a draw, they both invaded the pitch, tore down the goalposts, ripped up the turf, ending in the next replay being cancelled and the cup being withheld for that season.
So it was them that started it.

Hadn't realised that, in this case it was probably put down to "tradition" or both teams defending their players.

Curried
30-08-2016, 10:08 AM
What no one in the MSM seem to comprehend is that the Hibs fans that initially crossed the line were running through to Conrad Logan and a couple of the Hibs defenders who were still in the box after the final whistle! To call it provocation is utter c**p.

JimBHibees
30-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Loads of pitch invasions dont agree with them however most if not all see some fans goading opposition fans, cant remember any other supporters coming on. Happens in England all the time mostly play off games or promotion winning games.

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Can there ever have been an incident in the whole of British football history that has generated so many lies and so much after the event revisionism as this one. As has been said, when did not crossing the halfway line during a pitch invasion become a thing, to the point where it has become a stick to beat the Hibs support with?

Three months down the line and a month after the publication of the independent report the SFA have still not hammered Sevco and in particular Jim Traynor for the ridiculous and inflammatory statement issued minutes after the game ... Their assertion that "several" of their players had been assaulted was nothing short of a lie and its tacit approval of their fans coming on the pitch to start a fight and pathetic attempt to justify it was one of the most astonishing statements ever made by a Scottish football club and would be entirely unacceptable to any FA anywhere in the world, apart from Scotland it would appear.

Hibs fans shouldn't have been on the pitch, which is the same for fans anywhere ... nobody denies that, but as has been stated time and again it happens all the time without the situation degenerating into violence. Sevco are well aware of that and at every turn with the support of their west coast media buddies they have tried to deflect any blame for a celebration turning into a punch up by doing everything they can to pin all of the blame for what happened onto us.

I cant wait for the SFA to finally come out and make public their findings and conclusions on the whole thing .... I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of it being in any way fair or balanced in favour of us.

al1875
30-08-2016, 11:25 AM
10/10 nailed it

Caversham Green
30-08-2016, 11:50 AM
To put it another way, has there ever been a pitch invasion where they didn't cross the halfway line?

Stevie Reid
30-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Possibly discussed in the Scotland's Game thread, I haven't read it, but in that they showed the Rangers fans invading the pitch at Pittodrie after winning the league there - the relationship between Aberdeen and Rangers had not long taken a turn for the worst following the Neil Simpson challenge on Ian Durrant (possibly in the fixture earlier that season).

They invaded the whole pitch at the home of a fierce rival, ripped up the goalposts etc, and all the media interviews just carried on around them. Nothing seemed to be made of this mass disorder.

Apparently it's fine when winning your first title in a whole ten years, but exuberance when winning your first SC in 114 is a no-no.

Keith_M
30-08-2016, 12:11 PM
When Hibs beat Raith Rovers to win promotion in 1981, I was one of hundreds of Fans that (peacefully) ran onto the pitch to celebrate.

I don't remember anyone thinking one half of the pitch was out-of-bounds and the Raith Fans weren't so offended by our actions that they felt the need to enter the field of play to fight with us.

JimBHibees
30-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Possibly discussed in the Scotland's Game thread, I haven't read it, but in that they showed the Rangers fans invading the pitch at Pittodrie after winning the league there - the relationship between Aberdeen and Rangers had not long taken a turn for the worst following the Neil Simpson challenge on Ian Durrant (possibly in the fixture earlier that season).

They invaded the whole pitch at the home of a fierce rival, ripped up the goalposts etc, and all the media interviews just carried on around them. Nothing seemed to be made of this mass disorder.

Apparently it's fine when winning your first title in a whole ten years, but exuberance when winning your first SC in 114 is a no-no.

And who can forget their rape and pillage throughout England in the 70s with riots in Newcastle, Birmingham etc plus 1980 riot and that was a genuine riot and anyone comparing that and what happened in May needs shooting. Add in the UEFA Cup final in Manchester where Chelsea fans and the police caused it all :rolleyes: Time after time their press buddies have stood up for them at all costs. Saw an Evening Times headline the day after the UEFA cup fina, Rangers fan saves policeman, that would be the same policeman other Rangers fans were trying to kill. Pretty much sums up what you are against. Banana republic.

southsider
30-08-2016, 12:24 PM
To put it another way, has there ever been a pitch invasion where they didn't cross the halfway line?

Compare the media overkill on the Cup Final where a few (too many) minor scirmishes occurred to the recent Notting Hill carnival where multiple stabbings and robberies occurred with over 400 arrested. Hardly a mention in the papers. To Hell with the DR, and to Hell with Sevco. We won the Cup.

Jack
30-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Indeed. It's almost as if our support was off side!

Something I said when all this over the half way line was first mentioned.

It all stems from the loosers coming on the pitch too. Something I think is exceptionally rare in pitch invasions ... it's confused the feeble minded.

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Personally I think we should just ignore it. Nobody but fans of The Rangers 2012 actually believe the crap that the media is coming out with. All supporters of every other club see it for what it is. They know it's utter bollocks. They're all on our side in this.

Who cares what the tax payers biggest burden thinks about us. They're nothing but pond life who read papers that appease to their twisted ideological views. Complete nobodies who aren't worth an instant in your thought process. Let them whine and sulk into their Daily Records. They've got nothing else going on in their lives.

ArmadaleHibs
30-08-2016, 01:56 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyrGfkvKy0

Watch the above footage from the 16th minute onwards. It's rangers winning the league at pittodrie in 1987. Goals ripped out by invading fans. Pitch cut up. Rangers fans in both home and away ends. Invading fans crossing the halfway line and some sectarian singing for good measure.

Now granted this was the old Rangers and not the new sevco but they keep telling us it's the same. So having bitched, moaned and tried to slaughter us for the cup final invasion I think they need to be reminded that people who live in glass houses shouldn't chuck stanes.

I hate them

Ggtth

Stevie Reid
30-08-2016, 02:23 PM

Watch the above footage from the 16th minute onwards. It's rangers winning the league at pittodrie in 1987. Goals ripped out by invading fans. Pitch cut up. Rangers fans in both home and away ends. Invading fans crossing the halfway line and some sectarian singing for good measure.

Now granted this was the old Rangers and not the new sevco but they keep telling us it's the same. So having bitched, moaned and tried to slaughter us for the cup final invasion I think they need to be reminded that people who live in glass houses shouldn't chuck stanes.

I hate them

Ggtth

This is exactly the incident I was referring to a few posts back, HH :aok:

Bostonhibby
30-08-2016, 02:26 PM

I hate them

Ggtth

Jeez, that's pretty bad, if I was them I'd say we are a new club, nothing to do with those morons.

Captain Trips
30-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Jeez, that's pretty bad, if I was them I'd say we are a new club, nothing to do with those morons.

Indeed.

lyonhibs
30-08-2016, 02:53 PM
What no one in the MSM seem to comprehend is that the Hibs fans that initially crossed the line were running through to Conrad Logan and a couple of the Hibs defenders who were still in the box after the final whistle! To call it provocation is utter c**p.

If you're trying to say that every Hibs fan that crossed the half way line did so just to give Big Logan a cuddle, I'd have to say you're kidding yourself on.

Onion
30-08-2016, 02:54 PM
IIRC this all started with the Indy Commission Report which mentions part of the problem was that Hibs fans crossed over the half way line onto the Sevco side of the pitch. Think the inference is that the Sevco vigilantes would not have emerged had those bad Hibs fans stuck to their end :cb

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2016, 02:58 PM
If you're trying to say that every Hibs fan that crossed the half way line did so just to give Big Logan a cuddle, I'd have to say you're kidding yourself on.

That's not what was said. The poster clearly said "initially". The Rangers fans ran onto the pitch as the Hibs fans were crossing the half way line. The initial motive for crossing the halfway line then became a different motive once the The Rangers fans ran onto the pitch. If they hadn't ran on to the pitch, then I doubt many Hibs fans would have taken much notice of them.

jacomo
30-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Can there ever have been an incident in the whole of British football history that has generated so many lies and so much after the event revisionism as this one. As has been said, when did not crossing the halfway line during a pitch invasion become a thing, to the point where it has become a stick to beat the Hibs support with?

Three months down the line and a month after the publication of the independent report the SFA have still not hammered Sevco and in particular Jim Traynor for the ridiculous and inflammatory statement issued minutes after the game ... Their assertion that "several" of their players had been assaulted was nothing short of a lie and its tacit approval of their fans coming on the pitch to start a fight and pathetic attempt to justify it was one of the most astonishing statements ever made by a Scottish football club and would be entirely unacceptable to any FA anywhere in the world, apart from Scotland it would appear.

Hibs fans shouldn't have been on the pitch, which is the same for fans anywhere ... nobody denies that, but as has been stated time and again it happens all the time without the situation degenerating into violence. Sevco are well aware of that and at every turn with the support of their west coast media buddies they have tried to deflect any blame for a celebration turning into a punch up by doing everything they can to pin all of the blame for what happened onto us.

I cant wait for the SFA to finally come out and make public their findings and conclusions on the whole thing .... I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of it being in any way fair or balanced in favour of us.

Hilsborough, of course, was much worse.

To their credit, the Polis did a decent job under trying circumstances on 21 May, although cancelling the lap of honour was petty and unnecessary.

Yet it seems our media still have a shaky commitment to The Truth.

Onion
30-08-2016, 03:08 PM
IIRC this all started with the Indy Commission Report which mentions part of the problem was that Hibs fans crossed over the half way line onto the Sevco side of the pitch. Think the inference is that the Sevco vigilantes would not have emerged had those bad Hibs fans stuck to their end :cb

Found this quote on STV website ...

The report also said if the Hibs fans who invaded the pitch had stopped at the halfway line and "confined themselves to celebrating their team's victory, there would have been little need for this inquiry".

Curried
30-08-2016, 04:10 PM
That's not what was said. The poster clearly said "initially". The Rangers fans ran onto the pitch as the Hibs fans were crossing the half way line. The initial motive for crossing the halfway line then became a different motive once the The Rangers fans ran onto the pitch. If they hadn't ran on to the pitch, then I doubt many Hibs fans would have taken much notice of them.

Thanks for pointing this out High-On-Hibs....its much appreciated.
For those still struggling with the facts ..check out his photo from the upper south, that shows Conrad and two other Hibs defenders being congratulated in the box by a small band of exuberant Hibs fans.

http://users.adam.com.au/hibs/SC/Invasion.jpg

CRAZYHIBBY
30-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Whilst the pitch invasion was out order and spoiled the celebrations by denying the players a lap of honour...there is nothing in the small print to say they couldn't cross the half way line and goad the opposition's fans

Danderhall Hibs
30-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Aye I don't think us Hibees quite have the pace if Usain Bolt to cross the line in time.

It's not 100m to the halfway line?

Not even the whole way from behind the goals. Definitely not from the North Stand.