PDA

View Full Version : "We Are Unbeatable" - A Warning from History.

Keith_M
28-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Does anybody remember the Hearts Fans singing "We are unbeatable" at Easter road a few years back after starting the season impressively?

That backfired on them big time, starting with defeat to Hibs.

While we have had a very impressive start to this season... which I'm delighted about... I just thought I'd put out there the danger of over-confidence, making claims of going the season unbeaten, etc, and how it can back-fire on you big time when you let it go to your head.

Mr White
28-08-2016, 06:37 PM
I can think of a few differences between the situations though tbh.

It's a good point but a humpty comparison imo.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Would love to hear us chant we are realistic but it isn't very catchy.

Hi Heid Yin
28-08-2016, 06:43 PM
I'm convinced that Neil Lennon will jump on any player who becomes complacent and gives less than 100%. Complacency is our only enemy.
Yes, it's a great start - the first time since relegation where we have actually hit the ground running, but NL will keep everyone's feet firmly on the ground.

Wilson
28-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Does anybody have a story from history where a team longs for a good start to the season, and gets it? A team that the biggest criticism of them is that they don't put teams away, so they do it?

In this example from history were the fans allowed to just enjoy it and live in the moment? Or did folk piss on their parade too?

CapitalGreen
28-08-2016, 06:44 PM
A full strength Hibs team got beat 3-1 by QOTS only a couple of weeks ago which suggests we are very much beatable.

Jack
28-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Neil Lennon would have had similar issues when he was managing celtc. A celtc team with better everything in that league, a bit like us in this league. I'm sure that will have been a major factor in bringing him in.

I doubt he'll let complacency set in, quite the reverse.

Finn2015
28-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Yes and there are a few sides in this division, especially when we play them at their own ground, which will be very testing.

Ergye
28-08-2016, 06:49 PM
I can think of a few differences between the situations though tbh.

It's a good point but a humpty comparison imo.

Great word. Not heard it for a while. :tee hee:

The OP has made a very lazy case for the point he is trying to make I feel.

Of course Hearts are not unbeatable. They are Hearts! They are pish!

We are, unless I am very much mistaken, the wonderful and fabulous Hibernian FC and are therefore, Unbeatable, undefeated, unmatchable, unabating, underrated, unmatched, and in many cases, mine included, under the influence.

Cheers.

Col2
28-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Hearts would have won the league that year IMO.

They asked Burley a week before that game and while they still finished 2nd they missed a great opportunity.

Just like May 3rd 1986. As I understand it they had a decent chance to win the league then? But I don't remember? Anyone?

Captain Trips
28-08-2016, 07:30 PM
This is Hibs we are talking about here, nothing is ever easy.

We should win this league but its no certainty with a lot of games to be played. I am enjoying each game as it comes at this juncture.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Does anybody remember the Hearts Fans singing "We are unbeatable" at Easter road a few years back after starting the season impressively?

While we have had a very impressive start to this season... which I'm delighted about... I just thought I'd put out there the danger of over-confidence, making claims of going the season unbeaten, etc, and how it can back-fire on you big time when you let it go to your head.

Who's been saying that?
I think living in the moment is good tho. The moment for me is about 92 mins into the SC Final :)

CyberSauzee
28-08-2016, 07:51 PM
We'll walk this league. Some very good additions to the squad by a new manager who knows how to keep players grounded.

lapsedhibee
28-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Hearts would have won the league that year IMO.

They asked Burley a week before that game and while they still finished 2nd they missed a great opportunity.

Just like May 3rd 1986. As I understand it they had a decent chance to win the league then? But I don't remember? Anyone?

They did win the league in 1986. I saw a picture of their fans wearing the celebratory T-shirts. Wasn't it Potter himself who lifted the trophy after an outstanding personal performance in the finale?

:agree: Might well have gone the season unbeaten if Mad Vlad McMad hadn't sabotaged things because Hurly Burley was 'destroying the club'.

WhileTheChief..
28-08-2016, 08:05 PM
We won't lose more than 2 or 3 league games this season. We've got every right to be confident :)

HibsNutter
28-08-2016, 08:06 PM
We won't go unbeaten but we'll walk the league. I feel like most of those who don't feel that way are stuck in the 'it's hibs' mindset. We are so much better than everyone. Have confidence.

Big L
28-08-2016, 08:25 PM
The games that will really count are the games against Dun Utd, Raith, QOS and Falkirk if we deal with them, we will scoosh this league!!

allezsauzee
28-08-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm confident we'll win this division fairly comfortably but I hate this very yammish song

Greenworld
28-08-2016, 08:32 PM
We will win the league and Lennon and our fantastic squad will ensure it

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Theres a big difference between we are unbeatable and we are going to win the league easily, for what its worth I think we'll win the league easily and get beat 3 or 4 times along the way.

.Sean.
28-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Up until the cup final that game was by far my favourite ever match.

Now third behind the Cup Final and Brondby away.

poolman
28-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Think there's a few posters on here getting a tad over optimistic

It's only 4 games into the league

We're definitely, I think, the best team in the division but let's not get too cocky

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
28-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Does anybody have a story from history where a team longs for a good start to the season, and gets it? A team that the biggest criticism of them is that they don't put teams away, so they do it?

In this example from history were the fans allowed to just enjoy it and live in the moment? Or did folk piss on their parade too?

This made me laugh.

One of the (many) great points about THAT win in May is that i feel much more relaxed about doing exactly as you say and enjoying the moment

Kojock
28-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Nobody should be getting too carried away as we are only 4 games into the season. However the strength and depth we now have in the squad should be enough to get us over the line. Looking at our bench yesterday nearly every one of them would be in the starting line up for any other team in the championship and a good few SPL teams as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2016, 08:58 PM
I've had enough of lets not make boastful statements incase it upsets other teams, f them, its up to them to do something about it.

Dashing Bob S
29-08-2016, 05:16 AM
Football is like that. You get carried away when you are winning, and despondent or disengaged when you are losing.

Lennon will have the players forgetting about the four games gone - apart from points in the bank they mean nothing, and focused on the Dumbarton game. He'll be looking at their weaknesses and how we can exploit them. Yes, they will be up for it but so will we. We'll know what we have to do to win this game.

hibee_nation
29-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Before the cup final all the negativity used to drag this club down. Time for us to be loud and proud and get the opposition telt, your coming to to the holy ground and were gonna kick your ass. :flag:

Thecat23
29-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Sorry but I still think Hibs will batter most teams this season. As I've said before we will drop points but not enough for others to catch us. Lennon won't allow it.

Time to be positive and stop worrying about our first defeat if and when it comes!

lucky
29-08-2016, 10:55 AM
I'm still of the belief we will coast the league and my bold prediction is when we win at East End park on 01/04/17 the league will be won.

lord bunberry
29-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Hearts fans are thick as ****. That's the only thing that needs to be said on this matter.

cleanyman
29-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Only 2 points ahead...

Plus we got cuffed by QOS a couple of weeks ago

Keep it going Hibs. Tough game against Dumbarton away.

Captain Trips
29-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Im just going to enjoy each game and if that brings about a decent gap for us at top then great. If we are top at halfway then I will be happy.

California-Hibs
29-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Meh. We're skooshing this league. End of story.

29-08-2016, 11:47 AM
A full strength Hibs team got beat 3-1 by QOTS only a couple of weeks ago which suggests we are very much beatable.

Yep and if anything positive can come out of that result hopefully its that it gives us a reality check and a wake up call that we have no god given right to win any game. We can't expect to simply just turn up and beat teams.

Great start and getting ourselves far in front is great psychologically and means that if there are any slip ups, which there is more than likely to be as I highly doubt we will go the whole season unbeaten, then it wont be as bad. I know its a cliche but lets just take it one game at a time. Very long way to yet.

AndyM_1875
29-08-2016, 11:52 AM
We've made a good start but that's all.
Tough games lie ahead. We haven't played Raith Rovers or Dundee United who are both good sides and that QoTS game should be a warning that complacency will be punished.

Thankfully we have the right manager in charge who will not let the team let up for one second.

givescotlandfreedom
29-08-2016, 12:50 PM
I've got to agree with the broader point. Talk of us skooshing the league etc is daft after 4 games and a prime opportunity to bite us on the backside. I prefer the quietly confident and respectful but resilient approach.

snooky
29-08-2016, 12:52 PM
I've got to agree with the broader point. Talk of us skooshing the league etc is daft after 4 games and a prime opportunity to bite us on the backside. I prefer the quietly confident and respectful but resilient approach.

Me2

GreenLake
29-08-2016, 01:01 PM
No team is unbeatable and that is one of the great things about about watching football.

Oscar T Grouch
29-08-2016, 01:05 PM
I don't think any team is unbeatable. What I've seen so far this season is a Hibs team that will need to play badly to get beaten. The QotS game was a good example, we were pretty terrible in parts of that game and QotS managed to score when we were playing badly. I really don't think that'll happen very often this season, our manager won't allow it and we have now strength and depth to the squad.

I think we maybe beaten 2-3 times over the season, if that. We will also drop points with a few draws. I don't however see any team getting past us. We will win the next two games extend the gap and never look back from there. It's good to be confident, with reason. The reason being we're far and away the best squad in this league, probably good enough for the top half of the Premiership. We also have one of the best managers in the country too. I tend to err on the cautious side of things, this season I'm happy to be über confident. GGTTH.

emerald green
29-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Ask me after Hibs have played their first 9 or 10 league fixtures.

Keith_M
29-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Who's been saying that? ..........

Quite a few people have posted stuff along those lines on here.

The OP has made a very lazy case for the point he is trying to make I feel.

Of course Hearts are not unbeatable. They are Hearts! They are pish!

We are, unless I am very much mistaken, the wonderful and fabulous Hibernian FC and are therefore, Unbeatable, undefeated, unmatchable, unabating, underrated, unmatched, and in many cases, mine included, under the influence.

Cheers.

That cheered me up

:greengrin

Alex Trager
29-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Up until the cup final that game was by far my favourite ever match.

Now third behind the Cup Final and Brondby away.

Surely the two all at Tynecastle when they were singing Stubby's name?

Stantons Angel
29-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Ive read through the posts on this thread with interest and note a big change in the attitude of our supporters.

Yes we have the right to be optimistic and i know that Hibs are probably the strongest team in the league and will be hard to beat home or away.

i am NOT trying to rain on your parade, only trying to hold back on spouting forth how wonderful we are, how we are going to win the league etc etc.

This is the problem with the Hibs support, we are full of expectation and when the expected does not happen the rain turns to a thunder storm of negativity and people start not going to games because we lost a few.

Of course enjoy it and go with it as long as it lasts, we deserve it dont we? Just dont get too carried away with ourselves or we will be disappointed. Then the negativity starts and the name calling, the armchair football managers start telling us how they would have put the team out.

We are only three games into the season and we have had a great start. just lets keep getting behind the team and willing them on over the line in games. We need to be there with them and enjoy the journey as we go. Just dont get carried away or the undue expectation from the supporters on the terracing will get to the players again and off we go again.

Dont compare ourselves to anyone, we are Hibernian FC and they will know that!

Gmack7
29-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Staying unbeaten all season would be ridiculous. Betting on such an event would be double ridiculous, anyone know what price this would be as I do like the odd ridiculous punt

ancient hibee
29-08-2016, 07:21 PM
We have played very nice football over the last two years but much of it was in the middle of the park.Now we are putting on pressure and playing much of the game in the other team's penalty area the difference is obvious.

BSEJVT
29-08-2016, 07:53 PM
The " We are unbeatable" game would certainly rank as one of my favourite Hibs games as well

One day when I have retired and have the time I must look back at the records of the fixtures I have seen over the decades and try and recall some of them.

I would particularly like to recall some of The Tornadoes games, some of McLeish's games and some from the Mowbray / Collins era as well as some more recently :-)

monktonharp
29-08-2016, 10:51 PM
We have played very nice football over the last two years but much of it was in the middle of the park.Now we are putting on pressure and playing much of the game in the other team's penalty area the difference is obvious.:agree: also, for the forthcoming game at Dumbarton, I have felt that from previous games against them they managed to get results because of their 2 giant centre-backs. we did not put many cross balls in to their 6 yard area and when we did, they managed to gobble them up like a pair of ER seagulls. It will be different this season though I'm sure as we have players that can mix it with tall defences. If we have players like Hanlon,Shinnie,big Graham, Holt and Fonts all hovering around for set pieces and corners , the goal count will rise greatly.