PDA

View Full Version : Champions league, is it getting old?

Ultrabee1-0
28-08-2016, 05:49 PM
The winner this year will either come from Germany or Spain, bayern,madrid & barca, is it not getting a bit boring? Every year we get excited for this and me to personally but I just think it's ran it course. The hole idea of a European super league excites me, 4 teams from each of the 4 big leagues and 1 or 2 from the others, obviously a relegation system would be in place so that the team in the relegation zone would ultimately be out the league. The lowest placed team of the 4 big teams would be relegated with the winner of that national league promoted and the 2nd last team would have a play off with the 2nd placed team in that county. It seems a good idea and plus we would have a chance of winning this league with the old firm gone? It would leave the Scottish league with 4 or 5 potential winners. You can't say that's not re-furbishing Scottish football.

Michael
28-08-2016, 06:12 PM
I wish they kept it simple. If you win your domestic league or the Champions League you're in it next year. A straight knock out tournament with no seeding.

The current format is boring and I've stopped watching. It's the exact same every year now.

Not keen on superleague either as it devalues the domestic competition.

Enough said
28-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Nope

Killiehibbie
28-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Very little interest unless I find a bet I fancy and no chance of me ever paying to watch any of them.

Nakedmanoncrack
28-08-2016, 06:19 PM
It's been crap and utterly predictable for years - which of course is the intention, little to no interest in it.

Eyrie
28-08-2016, 06:19 PM
It's been stale and boring for a number of years now. Can't remember the last time I watched it and don't think that any revamp, let alone one intended to preserve the plutocrats, will change that.

The Captain....
28-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Ive only watched 2 or 3 games in the last few years. Usually have a coupon on the games so from that perspective I take an interest but rarely get involved in watching it til semi-final/final.

Its the way the clique of half dozen or so big clubs want it tho so I don't see a lot changing format wise.

Bishop Hibee
28-08-2016, 06:23 PM
I watched games when it was on ITV but as I don't have BT Sport I only saw the final last year. I had no idea BT Sport were showing some games free to air until after the event. Will they be doing the same this year?

As for being 'old', some of the group games are pretty one-sided and it really only starts to get competitive in the last 8.

My_Wife_Camille
28-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Modern football is set up to suit the neutrals.

I have a group of mates I go to the Hibs games with and we travel home and away and love the game and the team. Pretty much none of us give even a second thought to English or European football. On the other hand I have another group of mates who were never into football until they they left school and went to Uni. These are the ones that have attended about 5 games between them in their lives, don't support a Scottish team but never miss an English Premier League game or Champions League game when it's on TV.

A guy I used to work with in a bar a few years ago was a so called Hibs fan but when they were playing Aberdeen in the live game at Pittodrie, not only was he not at the game but he insisted that the bar showed Arsenal v Chelsea instead. Horrible stuff.

Personally, the Champions League etc isn't for me. None of these so called super clubs have any identity anymore and they all just merge into one which makes it hard to find any interest in

Finn2015
28-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Yes it is and it's to much of the same. I can imagine Barca thinking 'not again' when man city and Celtic came out in their group and I'm sure the feeling was mutual. Becoming something of a closed shop to

hfc rd
28-08-2016, 06:55 PM
It's been stale and boring for a number of years now. Can't remember the last time I watched it and don't think that any revamp, let alone one intended to preserve the plutocrats, will change that.

Agree with this

LancashireHibby
29-08-2016, 11:29 AM
I watched games when it was on ITV but as I don't have BT Sport I only saw the final last year. I had no idea BT Sport were showing some games free to air until after the event. Will they be doing the same this year?

As for being 'old', some of the group games are pretty one-sided and it really only starts to get competitive in the last 8.
They have a legal obligation to show x number of games free to air as part of the contract so it will be the same this year.

Thecat23
29-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Nope

Can I ask what you think is attractive about it? For me it's stale and boring, while fixed for the big teams to progress. Don't see many good games anymore as its just usually both teams playing not to lose. Mostly the away team sitting in unless it's Barca or Madrid.

I'd personally bin the whole thing and start again and totally revamp it. No seeded teams to start with.

Craig_in_Prague
29-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Can I ask what you think is attractive about it? For me it's stale and boring, while fixed for the big teams to progress. Don't see many good games anymore as its just usually both teams playing not to lose. Mostly the away team sitting in unless it's Barca or Madrid.

I'd personally bin the whole thing and start again and totally revamp it. No seeded teams to start with.

Yep, the whole point of sport, is to have fairness and competitiveness, the whole thing points to the usual teams being in semi-finals and finals; the odd team like Dortmund or Athletico Madrid sometimes threaten to win it, but it's pretty predictable now and even the CL in the 90's seems such a long time ago (well, it is now I guess), but Man UTD vs Bayern or Juventus in those days felt quite exciting (and I dislike Man U!)... now it's all full of overpaid pussy's and a format to make the rich richer and restrict other teams chances.

JDHibs
29-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Nope.

Love seeing the best players Europe has to offer trying to beat eachother. Bit predictable because of the seedings but there is always one or two shocks.

cleanyman
29-08-2016, 12:26 PM
I'd scrap it

GreenLake
29-08-2016, 12:46 PM
I watch it very rarely after EUFA and their Corporate Sponsors blacked out HibsTV multiple times last season.

Zazu62
29-08-2016, 12:48 PM
It's just a game of football ffs, if u don't like it don't watch it.

Ergye
29-08-2016, 01:11 PM

Personally, the Champions League etc isn't for me. None of these so called super clubs have any identity anymore and they all just merge into one which makes it hard to find any interest in

Perfectly acceptable.

As I've matured and am now at the fresh age of 69, I've come to realise that football for me was never really about the game, it was about the match day experience with friends. The feeling of community, camaraderie and everyone pulling together for the forces of good. It's a surrogate family. The game itself is a distraction. Sure, you get the odd moment of genius that blows your mind (unless you follow Hearts) but the days of me staring at a telly waiting for multi millionaire Messi to do something fancy, are thankfully gone. It's very liberating. There are brighter sides to life, and I should know because I've seen them. But not very often.

It's always and only been about the Hibs.

Phil MaGlass
29-08-2016, 03:07 PM
I dont watch much CL, what I have, has been pretty boring, the EL has been better, but again, no big fan, as the lad previous said," its the match day experience and yir mates", even stopped watching match of the day, games are just rank and the commentary/match analysis just sucks.

Thecat23
29-08-2016, 03:39 PM
It's just a game of football ffs, if u don't like it don't watch it.

Calm yourself down to a panic. A question was asked so folk have gave their opinions. Thankfully I don't watch that ***** so makes no odds to me anymore!

Bishop Hibee
29-08-2016, 03:49 PM
They have a legal obligation to show x number of games free to air as part of the contract so it will be the same this year.

👍🏻

Zazu62
29-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Calm yourself down to a panic. A question was asked so folk have gave their opinions. Thankfully I don't watch that ***** so makes no odds to me anymore!

I was giving my opinion aswell tho

CalgaryHibs
29-08-2016, 04:15 PM
The winner this year will either come from Germany or Spain, bayern,madrid & barca, is it not getting a bit boring? Every year we get excited for this and me to personally but I just think it's ran it course. The hole idea of a European super league excites me, 4 teams from each of the 4 big leagues and 1 or 2 from the others, obviously a relegation system would be in place so that the team in the relegation zone would ultimately be out the league. The lowest placed team of the 4 big teams would be relegated with the winner of that national league promoted and the 2nd last team would have a play off with the 2nd placed team in that county. It seems a good idea and plus we would have a chance of winning this league with the old firm gone? It would leave the Scottish league with 4 or 5 potential winners. You can't say that's not re-furbishing Scottish football.

Answer is no !
It started oot as champions only and it balloon to present up I disagree
With this it should only be champions of each league

Pretty Boy
29-08-2016, 04:35 PM

I have a group of mates I go to the Hibs games with and we travel home and away and love the game and the team. Pretty much none of us give even a second thought to English or European football. On the other hand I have another group of mates who were never into football until they they left school and went to Uni. These are the ones that have attended about 5 games between them in their lives, don't support a Scottish team but never miss an English Premier League game or Champions League game when it's on TV.

A guy I used to work with in a bar a few years ago was a so called Hibs fan but when they were playing Aberdeen in the live game at Pittodrie, not only was he not at the game but he insisted that the bar showed Arsenal v Chelsea instead. Horrible stuff.

Agree with most of this.

I've got mates who are football fans as in they go to games, their mood is effected by a result and they have a genuine attachment to their club, be that Hibs or someone else.

I also have friend who like football and watch it on TV.

The 2 are totally distinct groups and that's fine, or it's fine until the 2nd group start slagging thosee of us in the 1st group for our passion for something that actually means sonething to us. The 1st group tend to have little interest in the EPL or the CL, the 2nd love it.

dangermouse
29-08-2016, 04:40 PM
I remember midweek nights out with friends in the pub to watch CL game when it first started out. Now I couldn't even tell you who the current holders are and I don't really give a flying one about it. I'd rather watch Hibs.

HibeeLR
29-08-2016, 04:41 PM
If they removed the seeding I'd fine the CL slightly more enjoyable but that won't happen as it's obviously in place to give so called big teams an easy time in the group stages.
I agree with the point at all champions should have a place, however, that will cause chaos for domestics leagues like England, it would just see the Man united/city, Chelsea etc further ahead as they have to spend even more money than they now now to ensure winning the league.

NZ Green
29-08-2016, 06:02 PM
I like the Champions League, the group stages allow for some shocks, the knock out stages are fairly predictable but you're guaranteed to see some good football. It's like the dessert of football, not the main meal, just something sweet to indulge yourself in every now and again.

tamig
29-08-2016, 07:36 PM
I wish they kept it simple. If you win your domestic league or the Champions League you're in it next year. A straight knock out tournament with no seeding.

The current format is boring and I've stopped watching. It's the exact same every year now.

Not keen on superleague either as it devalues the domestic competition.

Agreed. Sadly the old format will never return due to sheer greed. The old European Cup straight knockout format - for league winners only - was great.

sleeping giant
29-08-2016, 07:38 PM
I gave up on it years ago. I have absolutely no interest in it.
I only watch the odd game due to my boy watching it.

I agree that it should be domestic league winners and that they shouldn't have to play qualifying rounds.

Topographic Hibby
29-08-2016, 07:42 PM
The UEFA Champions League........the only League in football you can win without being Champions.

And we expect UEFA to sort out Scottish football?

Yeah, good luck with that one...!!