PDA

View Full Version : hibs and lack of media coverage

andyf5
28-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Yesterday we had a crowd bigger than the whole of the premier league combined excluding Celtic yet we seem to get little or no coverage in Scottish media. Why?

sportsound yesterday on way to ground never mentioned hibs game for the 40 minutes I listened
after the game celtic celtic on radio and then Neil Lennon cause they couldn't get Derek McInnes
today's papers have sparse coverage with Hamilton Accies game getting reports with an attendance of 1,600
TV highlights tonight will not include hibs

With 14,500 at the game yesterday would papers and media not generate more income if they covered us?

The Green Goblin
28-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Yesterday we had a crowd bigger than the whole of the premier league combined excluding Celtic yet we seem to get little or no coverage in Scottish media. Why?

sportsound yesterday on way to ground never mentioned hibs game for the 40 minutes I listened
after the game celtic celtic on radio and then Neil Lennon cause they couldn't get Derek McInnes
today's papers have sparse coverage with Hamilton Accies game getting reports with an attendance of 1,600

With 14,500 at the game yesterday would papers and media not generate more income if they covered us?

Official attendance was announced as over 15k. (15500-ish?)

i think we just need to focus on ourselves tbh and get promotion, whether or not the media give us attention. There was another thread recently which argued that with no huns or diet huns in the championship, the media (sportscene at least) weren't interested.

However, wasn't Lennon on Sportsound recently? And BBC mw radio covered our away game in Denmark and not the yams' game, so it's not like we have been completely ignored.

but if your point is that we should be getting more credit for our high attendances, then I agree.

andyf5
28-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Official attendance was announced as over 15k. (15500-ish?)

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6751 give attendance as 14,508

but if your point is that we should be getting more credit for our high attendances, then I agree.

yes

Super_JMcGinn
28-08-2016, 01:14 PM

We are in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, they cover the top league first. We get more coverage than all the rest of the championship clubs combined, there is no conspiracy honest :aok:

I personally think it's a good thing there are no tv cameras etc as it encourages people along, it also means we are playing every Sat at 3 pm :wink:

Yorkshire HFC
28-08-2016, 01:16 PM

i think that we get more than our fair share of coverage - nevertheless I don't think we can complain about it until we're in the SPL. Let's hope they have loads to talk about this time next year.

Dashing Bob S
28-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Media coverage in the Scottish top tier boosts the zombie brained mutants who buy into the OF circus and cripples everybody else.

Don't need it. Get ample and better coverage from the club, Hibs sites and social media than the dying press or TV companies.

High-On-Hibs
28-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Would rather they ignored us and we ignore them as we go about our business.

28-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Would rather they ignored us and we ignore them as we go about our business.

I agree. Happy just to be left to get on with it without added media pressures.

O'Rourke3
28-08-2016, 01:41 PM
When Man City were relegated to the 3rd tier they were getting home attendances of over 30,000. Didn't bring the TV either. It's noteworthy but not much else. I'm already enjoying the same KO times for most of the season.

Spike Mandela
28-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Don't worry. When the SFA get round to hammering us for winning the cup we'll get a weeks front page coverage in the Record.

Billychaotic182
28-08-2016, 01:54 PM
I have Hibs TV and listen to Scottish football podcasts like The Terrace and Monday night Fitba, they cover hibs and other games in a much more entertaining way. I will watch sportscene and listen to sportsound because i like scottish football and like knowing the ins and out with it comes to it, but for my hibs media the others that i mentioned do a great job at covering us that i don't need the bbc! The media always like to play on the whole hibs'd it thing so i'm glad they are ignoring us. Don't need the likes off Allan Preston and Chick Young putting us down.

Billychaotic182
28-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Also if it means 3pm kick offs on a Saturday each week they can stay away!!!

mim
28-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Also if it means 3pm kick offs on a Saturday each week they can stay away!!!

I'll drink to that :greengrin

Ergye
28-08-2016, 02:06 PM
I fulfil all my needs with Xham... oops. Hibs.net. Everything you need for all things Hibs, is right here on this site. Who cares what some fat Hun journo with an agenda thinks about us?

dchibs
28-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Don't worry. When the SFA get round to hammering us for winning the cup we'll get a weeks front page coverage in the Record.
More than a week if they dont hammer us.

ajf
28-08-2016, 02:22 PM
I'll drink to that :greengrin

You'll drink to anything :greengrin

mim
28-08-2016, 03:02 PM
You'll drink to anything :greengrin

Steady on, bro :wink:

renato
28-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Richard Gordon's very quick to praise "another fantastic crowd from tiny" every second week, I presume we got the same treatment this Saturday, following his astonishment at our 16k+ for the previous game?

CraigHibee
28-08-2016, 09:32 PM
The lack of media coverage imo is down to the rangers being in the premiership now, there is no longer a big interest in the championship due to this, it's good that the likes of sky are reporting us though

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Good. Most of the media have never really given us much good coverage anyway (always felt we are the Irish club the media are "allowed" to treat hostile)

We can go about our business quietly. We've got a unique togetherness a lot of other clubs don't. We'll be back next year and we'll make one helluva noise

Finn2015
28-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Keep building the club like this and they will soon have to take notice

bookert
28-08-2016, 09:51 PM
I don't care, we are building a real community based club that will not need to rely on the BBC or mainstream media generally.

hibees 7062
28-08-2016, 10:05 PM
BBC reporter said there was a magnificent crowd at Tannadice . 7000 :rolleyes:

Michael
28-08-2016, 10:22 PM
When we got coverage folk complained ('anti-hibs' blah, blah...) and now that there's no coverage...folk complain!

Other than the match updates being a bit basic I much prefer things as they are now.

dmc1875
28-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Only thing I would argue is with the excitement of the championship over the last few years, the fact they are bigger Scottish teams in the league such as ourselves, United and even the likes of Falkirk, Dunfermline and Raith, that sportscene should have a championship round up showing the goals.

Kato
28-08-2016, 10:28 PM
I don't care, we are building a real community based club that will not need to rely on the BBC or mainstream media generally.

Yup

snooky
28-08-2016, 10:28 PM

They twist the truth to suit their own ends so the least they say about us the better.
We'll still be around when a few of them are with the dodos.

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Its always good for a club to get media coverage and the lack of it is never a good thing. It was always going to be the case that media coverage dropped off as soon as Sevco got promotion.

But the one thing that has to be looked at by the blazers is the set up of the league system, even if Hibs do win the league I would still like to see the SPFL get the finger out and look at a 14 or 16 team top division.
14 would seem ideal with a 6 / 8 split, which there is nothing wrong with if it means that teams are playing each other home and away on an equal basis. 26 games, 13 home, 13 away before the split and then each team plays home and away after the split giving bottom 8 teams 40 games and top 6 teams 36 games.

Season tickets could be sold on the basis of 18 home games and if you happen to finish in the bottom 8 and end up playing 20 home games your ST holders get 2 games for free :greengrin

snooky
28-08-2016, 11:56 PM
The Herald reporting that the police say there could have been deaths if they had had enough officers to stop the field invasion. Nice hypothetical diversion from the fact that a lot of them were prematurely on their way to Ibrox.
Also, the Herald finds it necessary to reiterate that 'it was reported that 6 players were assaulted and two needed treatment.' I thought that 'report' has been proved wrong?
If so, why the need to continue with the falsities?
The Herald is just as bad as the DR.

malcolm
29-08-2016, 06:56 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship

BBC Championship page that may reflect someone's idea of priority in BBC Glasgow. On the UK football page in general Scottish football comes after ladies and African football :wink:

Onion
29-08-2016, 07:18 AM
The media have relished and wallowed in the torment of Hibs and Hibs fans for years. They're simply in the huff.

We've stripped them of their Scottish Cup goading pieces, utterly humiliated their beloved Glasgow FC team in the Hampden sunshine, and showing no signs of letting our best players go West for pennies. Things are on the up at ER and the media hate that.

--------
29-08-2016, 07:26 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship

BBC Championship page that may reflect someone's idea of priority in BBC Glasgow. On the UK football page in general Scottish football comes after ladies and African football :wink:

I notice one of the 'features' is about Magic Hat's 'unusual road to Ibrox' with a mug-shot of him beside the Trophy He Failed To Win.

And another asking 'Who will be the next Hibernian manager?' - with a mug-shot of one S McCall ...

They really keep up with the news at the Rantic Broadcasting Place.

JimBHibees
29-08-2016, 08:52 AM
The media have relished and wallowed in the torment of Hibs and Hibs fans for years. They're simply in the huff.

We've stripped them of their Scottish Cup goading pieces, utterly humiliated their beloved Glasgow FC team in the Hampden sunshine, and showing no signs of letting our best players go West for pennies. Things are on the up at ER and the media hate that.

Couldnt agree more the media in the main have more than shown their true colours with the fall out of the Scottish cup final. As you say they have glorified in ripping Hibs at every turn so alot has changed. We just need to concentrate and improve year on year.

CyberSauzee
29-08-2016, 09:07 AM

An excellent summary. The falling sales of the printed press show they're nothing more than the propaganda wing of a 4 year old football club.

High-On-Hibs
29-08-2016, 09:15 AM
The Herald reporting that the police say there could have been deaths if they had had enough officers to stop the field invasion. Nice hypothetical diversion from the fact that a lot of them were prematurily on their way to Ibrox.
Also, the Herald finds it necessary to reiterate that 'it was reported that 6 players were assaulted and two needed treatment.' I thought that 'report' has been proved wrong?
If so, why the need to continue with the falsities?
The Herald is just as bad as the DR.

People who still buy newspapers are usually pretty thick tbh. They only exist to appease their readers hard-line views on everything.

Finn2015
29-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Spot on. They simply detest what happened in May

High-On-Hibs
29-08-2016, 09:20 AM

:top marks
Let them sink in their own tears. The control that the MSM once had over society is losing it's grip hold. That's why they've now turned their attacks on more modern forms of media. They're terrified of people becoming educated and well informed.

JDHibs
29-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Im happier with us out of the lime light.

Just do our own thing, quietly picking up the wins, getting the fans back.

Look what happened last season when Stubbs was in the paper all the time? Treble was mentioned and the wheels fell off.

Tv not covering the games could be a blessing in disguise as its more likely the fans will keep coming out and getting the bums on seats! If we can keep this sort of run going we will consistently hit over 14k for the first time since when i can remember!

Brightside
29-08-2016, 09:54 AM

Couldn't care less

Mikey09
29-08-2016, 10:15 AM
**** them! We're doing well, that's why they won't mention us. Enjoy it... Go to the game, win, come home, log on here, moan about formations, line up, seagulls, officials, how goog is SJM, log off, watch Match of the day, head to bed. Who needs those old firm sympathisers?! :greengrin

Carheenlea
29-08-2016, 11:33 AM
It doesn't bother me too much as I source my Hibs media from here and Hibs TV. I don't buy papers, but I did flick through a Daily Record waiting in bakers this morning and the front cover of the football pullout had a full page picture of Jason Cummings celebrating his goal.

snooky
29-08-2016, 02:55 PM
It doesn't bother me too much as I source my Hibs media from here and Hibs TV. I don't buy papers, but I did flick through a Daily Record waiting in bakers this morning and the front cover of the football pullout had a full page picture of Jason Cummings celebrating his goal.
Rantic must be about to put in a bid for him.
A straight swap for Sparky and you're on.

CalgaryHibs
29-08-2016, 04:20 PM

S
This is fine with me mon the HIBS

Kato
29-08-2016, 10:03 PM
utterly humiliated their beloved Glasgow FC .

And West of Scotland FC, Dumbarton Fans FC, Scottish Cup Fans FC and The Rangers FC.

One cup final and all of those clubs fans pusses are seekened.

DavieRoy
30-08-2016, 10:46 AM
we have to be careful of the press, fair enough, but clubs try to put everything on their own media channels now which is sanitised.

Some media may have agenda's but sometimes genuine questions need to be asked. Look at what happened to us going down. Would club TV call it as it is? Questions had to be asked of the manager and the board that wouldn't happen on club TV.