PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs cup final medal

IanM
28-08-2016, 07:19 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/hibernian/7229405/Ex-Hibs-boss-Stubbs-donates-Scottish-Cup-gong-to-raise-cash-for-good-causes.html

Well done both him and the club

DaveF
28-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Wonderful from AS and Hibernian FC.

Finn2015
28-08-2016, 07:38 AM
Always will be a legend at the club 👍

Hibbyradge
28-08-2016, 09:01 AM
I'm delighted the link doesn't work for me, but would someone be so kind as to copy and paste the article.

TYVM.

grunt
28-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Ok
FOR Hibs fans, the Scottish Cup win at Hampden in May was a life-affirming moment.
For Alan Stubbs, it was the chance to become a life saver.
Since winning his own battle with cancer in 1999, Stubbs has been an inspiration to fellow sufferers over the past two decades.

And in typically unselfish fashion his immediate thoughts after ending Hibs’ 114-year wait to lift the famous trophy was how the 3-2 triumph over Rangers could benefit others.
Two harrowing events a couple of months earlier shaped his thinking.
The first was a heart-wrenching letter he received from a young Glasgow mother whose son tragically passed away after being born 11 weeks prematurely.
She was trying to raise money for urgently required equipment for the Neonatal Unit where her baby had fought desperately for his life.
The second came just before the cup final as he sat by the bedside of a young cancer patient and Hibs fan.
His name was Sean McKinley and his diagnosis was terminal.
Stubbs’ own struggles had already told him so, but his hospital visit only served to reinforce where football stood in the grand scheme of things.
The original plan was to auction his medal and donate the funds to charity. But, thanks to the co-operation of his former club, an even better solution has been found.
Hibs have agreed to buy the medal for a sizeable five-figure sum with all the money going to three worthwhile causes.
His own cancer charity, the Alan Stubbs Everyman Appeal, will benefit, while a donation will go towards vital equipment for Alder Hay children’s hospital in Liverpool.
The third chunk of the money will go to the Princess Royal Hospital in Glasgow.
Stubbs said: “I said after the game that I was going to donate my medal to charity.
“I had a couple of offers for it which were great, but I didn’t feel they were enough for what it was.
“I have now managed to sort something out with Hibs where they have agreed to take it off me and make three donations to charity.
“There are two cancer charities and the rest of the money will go to buying equipment which will help saves children’s lives.
“Hibs have donated a significant five-figure sum and that is an incredible gesture. The money could buy the machines which could save two babies’ lives next week.
“Hopefully the rest of the money will also make a difference.
“Some will be going to a charity of Sean’s choice. I went to see him last season when I was still in charge at Hibs. He has terminal cancer. I heard about his situation from someone at Hibs and went to see him out of the blue.
“Those are the things that drive reality home to you. When all is said and done, these are the things that really matter in life.”
The dust had barely settled on Stubbs leading Hibs to the greatest moment in their history and he was gone.
A fortnight later and he was heading down the M1 to take up the reins at Rotherham.

But while now the focus is on keeping the ambitious English Championship outfit on an upward curve, that momentous day in May is never far from his thoughts.
He said: “The Scottish Cup Final can sometimes seem a long time ago, yet as soon as someone brings it up it suddenly becomes very vivid.
“Suddenly it does feel like yesterday. I’m never in anything for self-praise but I was just delighted for, first and foremost, the players and very close behind, the fans. They were fantastic with me and having been able to leave having given them something back was incredible.
“We were able to give them something many fans thought they would never see.
“It gave me a massive sense of satisfaction and I was particularly delighted for Leeann Dempster and the chairman as they put in a lot of work trying to transform the club and lift it from relegation.
“To see their pride and the smiles on their faces at the end of the game was priceless.”
Stubbs is relishing the challenge south of the border and feels he has a better chance of being successful on the back of his two-year managerial apprenticeship at Easter Road.
Given they faced each other six times last season (the final score ending up 3-3), the popular big Scouser also feels he learned a lot from the regular jousts, on and off the park, he had with Rangers boss Mark Warburton.
He said: “I’ve had a decent blend throughout my career, whether that is playing or managing in Scotland and England. I always felt playing in Scotland with Celtic was a great grounding with the scrutiny and all the intensity.
“It was the same for my first role as a manager. Even at Hibs there was still a lot of publicity around it.
“The round-the-clock scrutiny on you in Scotland is ideal preparation if you want to move England.
“There was a lot made about the rivalry between Hibs and Rangers last season but a lot of it wasn’t true.
“It was good for the papers and I respected that. I’m sure Mark respected that as well.
“I think there was a healthy respect between the two clubs.
“We knew it wasn’t necessarily true all the time but sometimes you play along because it does fill the papers.
“It was good for a laugh and you can’t take yourself too seriously all the time.”
What Stubbs is taking seriously is leading Rotherham, who finished one place above the relegation zone last term, into the upper echelons of the Championship.
He added: “The club have had two years of staying in the division and now we are looking to progress.
“When I spoke to the chairman in the summer we spoke about the aim this season.
“If you look at the division there are 24 teams and there are four blocks. Each block is six places.
“He feels like he has been in the bottom block and now he is looking to progress into the next block. Anything from 12 to 18th place will be looked upon as progress.
“The chairman is not saying he wants Premier League football in three years.
“If we can do that it would be fantastic, but the reality is that it would be difficult. Not impossible though!”

jacomo
28-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Presumably this means his medal will be put on display by Hibs. Great result all round.

Hibbyradge
28-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks grunt.

That's superb.

I would have been interested in bidding for his medal, but I wouldn't have matched a 5 figure sum, never mind a sizeable one.

macca70
28-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Brilliant from Hibs, so i'm assuming it will now be on permanent display in a cabinet at Easter Road somewhere.

It should be put in a frame with an inspirational cup final photo or Stubbs quote and put in the tunnel or dressing room as inspiration/motivation for future Hibs players.

Or every time we play Rangers, make sure it is mounted in the Away dressing room wall
:flag::gwa::flag:

O'Rourke3
28-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Great gesture from both Stubbsy and the club and the club acquire another fabulous piece of history.

Sir David Gray
28-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Outstanding. :top marks

FranckSuzy
28-08-2016, 10:05 AM
What a wonderful gesture from AS. Also, the "Sean" mentioned is Shaun, Big G's son, so it makes it an even more amazing act, IMHO :not worth

Hi Heid Yin
28-08-2016, 10:11 AM
What a truly wonderful and heart-warming gesture from both Alan Stubbs and our club.
A BIG Thank you to both.
:flag::flag:

Rougier45
28-08-2016, 05:30 PM
What a truly wonderful and heart-warming gesture from both Alan Stubbs and our club.
A BIG Thank you to both.
:flag::flag:

agreed

well done Alan Stubbs Hibee Legend

Well Done Hibs -getting back to our community origins .

Baldy Foghorn
28-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Wonderful..............:top marks

Seveno
28-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Well done Stubbsy. A great man and what a wonderful club.

hfc rd
28-08-2016, 07:06 PM
A proper Hibs Legend!