PDA

View Full Version : Will Celtic fans have a problem with our new keeper?

G B Young
27-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Bearing in mind the Palestine flag waving v Hapoel at Celtic Park, can we assume Marciano's Israeli nationality will attract the ire of the 'Green Brigade' should we come up against Celtic in a cup draw any time soon?

Personally, I feel politics should be left at the door when it comes to sporting events and the way these guys seek to use Celtic matches as vehicles for whichever cause they deem 'Celtic minded' is tiresome.

Craig_HFC
27-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Who gives a shiny one what they think?

Let's be serious; it's not like their capable of independent thought.

JimBHibees
27-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Bearing in mind the Palestine flag waving v Hapoel at Celtic Park, can we assume Marciano's Israeli nationality will attract the ire of the 'Green Brigade' should we come up against Celtic in a cup draw any time soon?

Personally, I feel politics should be left at the door when it comes to sporting events and the way these guys seek to use Celtic matches as vehicles for whichever cause they deem 'Celtic minded' is tiresome.

Why would they Kayal and Bitton are Israeli and if they did who cares a jot.

blaikie
27-08-2016, 09:07 AM
They have Nir Biton and recently had Kayal who are both Israeli .....

I don't think there would be any problems if and when we come up against them, I feel politics should be left at the door when it comes to football as well, but they have raised a lot of awareness and money for a good cause regardless.

Sprouleflyer
27-08-2016, 09:07 AM

Pretty sure Celtic have had an Israeli player on their books, if they do have an issue, it will be a little bit of double standards.......cheering one and booing another due to his nationality.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2016, 09:08 AM

None what so ever.

Off the bar
27-08-2016, 09:11 AM
I think they would say the protest was against the Israeli government and their policies toward Palestine rather than to individual Israelis. Much like a protest against South Africa during apartheid was against that policy not against an individual South African.
Whatever you think about the protest and the celtc fans politics they've raised a huge amount of money for some seriously needy people and I think that should be applauded.

G B Young
27-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Why would they Kayal and Bitton are Israeli and if they did who cares a jot.

I wasn't aware those guys were Israeli, which makes the hostility towards the Hapoel players based on their nationality hard to fathom?

lucky
27-08-2016, 09:25 AM
I wasn't aware those guys were Israeli, which makes the hostility towards the Hapoel players based on their nationality hard to fathom?

The Green Brigade showing solidarity with the Palestine people is different form being anti Israeli

blaikie
27-08-2016, 09:25 AM

Don't think there was any hostile reception towards any individual Hapoel players over the course of the two legs ..... The waving of the Palestinian flags and peaceful protests before the match aimed to highlight the plight of the Palestian people as they were playing an Israeli team, it got people talking on social media it also got people donating money,

But I don't think the group of Celtic fans who staged this where doing purely for the people of Palestine, there was an aspect of self indulgence.

Kavinho
27-08-2016, 09:30 AM

Jeeso...
How many threats do you need to make the same point?

Stop bringing up a sport/politics point if you really do think politics really should stay out of sports.

Personally, I think you are just at it.
Tiring.

Gmack7
They don't have a ****in clue what they are protesting about,the only thing certain is the vast majority of them are thick as **** in the neck of a bottle

lord bunberry
They would only have a problem with him if the Huns took up a position in the opposite camp.

LancashireHibby
27-08-2016, 09:32 AM
I hope Celtc fans have a problem with all of our players, not just the goalkeeper.

Heard an announcement on the news this meaning that any new conflicts in the world can only be officially designated as a war once Celtc and SevCo fans have decided which side they're backing.

JimBHibees
27-08-2016, 09:36 AM
The Green Brigade showing solidarity with the Palestinian people is different form being anti Israeli

Agree.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Racism and bigotry rarely have anything to do with facts or reasonably drawn conclusions. I would rather just note that Celtc and Rangers have issues with each other and be thankful that I am not like that.

Wee Effen Bee
27-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Sorry, but the, 'sport and politics shouldn't mix,' argument is total piish. Politics is the air we breathe,' is more like it. You can't separate one from the other as they are part of the fabric of our environment - some older posters will remember the row over Scotland playing in the national stadium in Chile as it had been used to torture, rape and kill people, 100s if not 1000s, opposed to the fascist coup. Football is only a game, living in oppressed cultures where the threat of torture or death is day to day life and therefore is much more important than knocking a ball around. You can't play a game if there are too many land mines on the field, you can't separate sport from politics.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Sorry, but the, 'sport and politics shouldn't mix,' argument is total piish. Politics is the air we breathe,' is more like it. You can't separate one from the other as they are part of the fabric of our environment - some older posters will remember the row over Scotland playing in the national stadium in Chile as it had been used to torture, rape and kill people, 100s if not 1000s, opposed to the fascist coup. Football is only a game, living in oppressed cultures where the threat of torture or death is day to day life and therefore is much more important than knocking a ball around. You can't play a game if there are too many land mines on the field, you can't separate sport from politics.

Which religion would you like our keeper to be?

givescotlandfreedom
27-08-2016, 10:03 AM
I remember their glee when Ivan went down with a bad injury in front of them. Cheering like they'd scored for the crime of where he come comes from and his background. So who knows.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Football is a game that wether you play or watch there is and never should be any relevance to politics like every other sport. They should never mix once you enter that field of play.

G B Young
27-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Don't think there was any hostile reception towards any individual Hapoel players over the course of the two legs ..... The waving of the Palestinian flags and peaceful protests before the match aimed to highlight the plight of the Palestian people as they were playing an Israeli team, it got people talking on social media it also got people donating money,

But I don't think the group of Celtic fans who staged this where doing purely for the people of Palestine, there was an aspect of self indulgence.

That's what riles me about it. It's all well and good raising awareness of what you perceive to be good causes but I don't agree with hijacking an event like a football match to do so when your views are not representative of the rest of the crowd. Such demonstrations should be made outside the ground and involve only those wishing to take part.

Glory Lurker
27-08-2016, 10:20 AM
I think they'll hate him when he keeps a clean sheet against them at Hampden next May.

bordergreen
27-08-2016, 10:54 AM

Let's be serious; it's not like their capable of independent thougt.

Exactly! Half of Glasgow think they are Irish Republicans, the other half think they are Ulster Loyalists. Total nonsense from both of them. The best description I have heard was "Two cheeks of the same arse".

Callyballybe
27-08-2016, 11:09 AM
The Green Brigade showing solidarity with the Palestine people is different form being anti Israeli
Exactly this.

I've spoken to a couple of Celtic colleagues about this recently, and this was the first thing they said.

With it being such a controversial topic in general - and with the protest held outside Celtic Park last week highlighting it once more, I can see why people would think there would be an anti Israeli sentiment within the Celtic fan base (and maybe there is, in a minority) but I'd say the fact that they have Israeli players in the team would be strong evidence to the contrary. They're quite simply pro Palestinian (with a bit of self indulgence as has been mentioned above) and that's it.

I really don't think Rocky will have any issues if we draw them in the Scottish.

(((Fergus)))
27-08-2016, 04:05 PM

Will they have a problem? Only the Jew-hating ones.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2016, 04:08 PM
I do believe Tintin would say "!"

ronaldo7
27-08-2016, 07:15 PM

I'm sure the following players took it ill out, based on their nationality of course.:rolleyes:

Miguel Vitor........Portuguese

Mihaly Korhut......Hungarian

Ovidiu Hoban......Romanian

John Ogu............Nigerian

Tony Nwakaeme..Nigerian

Lucia Maranhao..Brazilian

Jdawg
27-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Celtic and their faux outrage at anything/everything. Half the fuds if not more not even involved in the troubles or anywhere else, just neds from a rundown city.

Brain dead zombie weegie Neanderthals, attaching themselves to anything other than their own pathetic reality.

Stewboy
27-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Who gives a *****? Really, who cares what they think

Do Ayr have a problem with him? Utd? Raith? Morton?

That's what's wrong with Scottish football

monktonharp
27-08-2016, 08:20 PM
I wasn't aware those guys were Israeli, which makes the hostility towards the Hapoel players based on their nationality hard to fathom?It seems to me, that you are a political antagonist, and are one of the main culprits to bring politics into "sport". your lead, with the name and avatar strikes me that you have your own political agenda and try to impose it on here.

Finn2015
28-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Let's be serious; it's not like their capable of independent thought.

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't give a stuff what the most politically correct lot of supporters in world football think. Ok, I'll be fair and say I'm sure there are some who are very politically conscious and could tell me a lot about that part of the world and issues there but I'm sure there are also a lot of bandwagon jumpers who have adopted the Palestine issue cos they think it's cool or hip, or it makes them feel warm and cosy about themselves. If they don't like it, tough. Our players and who we bring in is nothing to do with them.

And breathe 😀

Dashing Bob S
28-08-2016, 11:08 AM
As long as our fans don't have a problem with him, like we seem to with every one of our keepers, then I'll be happy.

Wee Effen Bee
28-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Which religion would you like our keeper to be?
Sorry, this is a whoosh moment for me. I don't understand your point. If indeed you have one.:confused:

Keith_M
28-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Whatever you think about the protest and the celtc fans politics they've raised a huge amount of money for some seriously needy people....

I suppose it makes a change from them raising money for the IRA.

....and I think that should be applauded.

I find it difficult to applaud anything they do as I'm always suspicious of their motives.

I can't help thinking that the Palestinian cause is incidental to them and that they were merely making a point, as opposed to actually caring about the Palestinians.

They want to associate their own feelings of oppression, derived from historical events, with that of a people that are genuinely suffering today, in order to justify there warped sense of outrage (despite the fact most of them have never actually suffered anything in their lives, as they're from the West Of Scotland).

Wee Effen Bee
28-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Football is a game that wether you play or watch there is and never should be any relevance to politics like every other sport. They should never mix once you enter that field of play.

You've missed my point entirely Scouse. It's impossible to separate sport and politics as politics determines if you have field to play on in the first place. I personally think a sports event like a high profile football match is a perfect place to make a statement. I understand that not everyone will think this way but I supported the 'Refugees Welcome' banner displayed at Easter Road last season...as did many others.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Sorry, this is a whoosh moment for me. I don't understand your point. If indeed you have one.:confused:

Well I am maybe just a bit naive but I want our keeper to be fit and athletic and confident. That would be my requirements. I was wondering if there were any religious or political attributes over and above that which would help him organise a back four or set up a wall for a free kick?

SanFranHibs
28-08-2016, 12:38 PM
They don't have a ****in clue what they are protesting about,the only thing certain is the vast majority of them are thick as **** in the neck of a bottle

A contribution to the debate as unintelligent as any I have read and worthy only of its place in the neck of a bottle..

Wee Effen Bee
28-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Well I am maybe just a bit naive but I want our keeper to be fit and athletic and confident. That would be my requirements. I was wondering if there were any religious or political attributes over and above that which would help him organise a back four or set up a wall for a free kick?

Hmmm. You're either being really obtuse or I haven't made myself clear enough for you. Who the hell said anything about wanting players to be political or religious?:confused: please read the posts again: if you live in an environment where some sports are banned (as the Taliban did in Afghanistan for instance - for being un-Islamic) you simply can't play, you have no choice. Does that make it any clearer?

Pretty Boy
28-08-2016, 01:06 PM
A few people seem to have a real obsession with our goalkeepers nationality and, assumed, religion.

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2016, 01:54 PM
You've missed my point entirely Scouse. It's impossible to separate sport and politics as politics determines if you have field to play on in the first place. I personally think a sports event like a high profile football match is a perfect place to make a statement. I understand that not everyone will think this way but I supported the 'Refugees Welcome' banner displayed at Easter Road last season...as did many others.

I haven't missed your point at all, I just don't agree with it and think your politics determine if we have field to play on is bizarre.

Wee Effen Bee
28-08-2016, 02:01 PM
A few people seem to have a real obsession with our goalkeepers nationality and, assumed, religion.

Seems so. Being an atheist, I don't give a fk if someone playing for us is religious or not. Why would that question even arise? I would be very unhappy though if they were: racist, a nazi, a child abuser, mysoginistic, homophobic, a UKIP/Tory party donator...etc. Just realised that some ex Hertz appointments are covered in that list.
:greengrin