PDA

View Full Version : Ipso uphold complaint: Rangers v Hibs

ozwoody
26-08-2016, 12:09 PM
FOLLOWING an article published in the Daily Record on 26 May, 2016, headlined “Cops: Mob rule outside Hampden blocked us from getting in to help” in print, and “Cops claim mob rule outside Hampden stopped them getting in to deal with battling Rangers and Hibs fans,” online, a man complained to the Independent Press Standards Organisation that the Daily Record had breached of Clause 1 (Accuracy) of the Editors’ Code of Practice.

IPSO upheld the complaint and has required the Daily Record to publish this decision as a remedy to the breach.
The article reported that police officers outside Hampden Park claimed that they were prevented by Rangers supporters from entering the stadium to deal with the disorder that was taking place on the pitch.
It quoted an unnamed police officer who said that a “mob mentality” prevailed outside the stadium, and accused parents of using their children to block roads.
The officer said that supporters “started hitting and spitting at the vans, trying to rock the vans, kicking the vans, trying the doors. This isn’t a few bad eggs in the crowd, this was everyone walking past us”.
It said that the officer was “addressing criticism of the police reaction to the Hibs fans’ pitch invasion”.
The article also quoted three other police sources, who supported the account given by the police officer.

The complainant said that he was outside the stadium as police vans attempted to make their way through Rangers supporters.

He said that while there was sarcastic applause from the majority of fans and some “mild verbal abuse” directed at the police due to their late arrival, there were no confrontations.

He said that it was nonsense to suggest that parents were using their children to block the road.

He denied that anybody hit or spat at police vans, and said it was inaccurate to report that “everybody walking past” had taken part in what the article said had taken place.

He said that the article was totally fabricated and there were thousands of witnesses who would say likewise.

The newspaper said that it had received an email from somebody who identified himself as a serving police officer who described the incident in detail; it said it had been unable to verify whether or not the person who sent the email was in fact a police officer.

It said that the journalist checked the account with two further police sources, neither of whom were present at the incident. It also said it had contacted the General Secretary of the Scottish Police Federation who said that some of the accounts he had heard accorded with the account in the email.

It said that these allegations had been presented as claims rather than facts in the article, and that it had taken sufficient care over the article’s accuracy.

The Committee found that the newspaper had taken insufficient steps to take care over the accuracy of the article.

Given the seriousness of the allegations, and given that the unidentified source appeared to be a police officer who wanted to address criticism over the conduct of the police following the match, it was concerning that the newspaper had sought to corroborate the account only with police contacts who were not present during the alleged incidents.

Additionally, the claims had been published in such a way that they gave the significantly misleading impression that they had been corroborated by multiple inde- pendent eyewitnesses. The complaint was upheld as a breach of Clause 1.

greenginger
26-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Funny how they can uphold a complaint over an article that tarnished Rangers fans image , but dismissed a complaint against the same newspaper for printing a pack of lies about Hibs fans.

RoYO!
26-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Funny how anyone employed by the record can be classified as a 'journalist'.

Baader
26-08-2016, 01:06 PM
How exactly can you 'corroborate' a supposed turn of events with people who were not there?

Hopefully not the last of that rag getting found out although I'm sure it'll be quick to run an apology as this has put Sevco fans in a worse light.

Spike Mandela
26-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Funny how they can uphold a complaint over an article that tarnished Rangers fans image , but dismissed a complaint against the same newspaper for printing a pack of lies about Hibs fans.

What was the other ruling?

SouthMoroccoStu
26-08-2016, 01:24 PM
FOLLOWING an article published in the Daily Record on 26 May, 2016, headlined “Cops: Mob rule outside Hampden blocked us from getting in to help” in print, and “Cops claim mob rule outside Hampden stopped them getting in to deal with battling Rangers and Hibs fans,”

Curse those darn West coast of Scotland and Hampden park fans.......

Spike Mandela
26-08-2016, 01:35 PM
https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=03188-16

Here's the full ruling and what strikes me is the sheer determination ipso has to get the full article dismissed other than accept the Daily Records suggestion of removing line that it involved every Rangers fan present.

Just how independent is ipso. Not chaired by Lord Nimmo Smith and Jim Traynor by any chance is it.😉

CropleyWasGod
26-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Someone called out Jackson over his claim that every Rangers player was assaulted. That was rejected, IIRC on the grounds that the complainer wasn't there and therefore couldn't prove that KJ's report was inaccurate.

northstandhibby
26-08-2016, 02:06 PM

:top marks

Hun players assaulted all over the hampen pitch according to the Daily Ranger. Surely Ipsos would have said similar of no evidence to confirm that claim too. Where were the hospital reports of the wounded bloodied and battered huns?

Dearie me.

Mon the Cabbage

Captain Trips
26-08-2016, 02:16 PM
The Rangers 2 Hibernian 3, theres my final report findings.

Treadstone
26-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Funny how anyone employed by the record can be classified as a 'journalist'.

Correct. In all the hoo haa after the game we should not forget what a terrible writer Jackson is.

Velma Dinkley
26-08-2016, 02:32 PM

I can't find a ruling about that on their website.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Correct. In all the hoo haa after the game we should not forget what a terrible writer Jackson is.

I haven't forgotten. In fact, that reminds me, I haven't tweeted him today. Must do that just now.

stantonhibby
26-08-2016, 04:16 PM

I think calling him a writer is pushing it.

weecounty hibby
26-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Total bull****. I spent two weeks on holiday this year with a friend who is a polis in the weedge. He confirmed to me what happened on the day and that rangers fans did stop vans getting back to Hampden. He also said that they were totally unprepared for Hibs getting two goals in the last ten minutes. The plan for the whe day was always to be if they were winning to take police out of the stadium to known flash points where the two sets of fans could come together. This plan was being carried out but Hibs ruined that plan by scoring twice and winning the game leaving the police inside short handed.
He so told me that there was inteligence at the OF semi that of rangers got 3 goals behind there was a group who had planned to invade the pitch to get the game abandoned and the police had a contingency for this eventuality. He says that should also have been in place for the final. And by the way. He is a Hun!! It was a very good two weeks holiday!!

Pete
26-08-2016, 04:27 PM
One Rangers orientated West coast institution argues with another. Best leave them to it.

Another thing that was upheld was the Scottish Cup by Lord David Gray. None of these bitter, arrogant cretins can change that.

greenginger
26-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Total bull****. I spent two weeks on holiday this year with a friend who is a polis in the weedge. He confirmed to me what happened on the day and that rangers fans did stop vans getting back to Hampden. He also said that they were totally unprepared for Hibs getting two goals in the last ten minutes. The plan for the whe day was always to be if they were winning to take police out of the stadium to known flash points where the two sets of fans could come together. This plan was being carried out but Hibs ruined that plan by scoring twice and winning the game leaving the police inside short handed.
He so told me that there was inteligence at the OF semi that of rangers got 3 goals behind there was a group who had planned to invade the pitch to get the game abandoned and the police had a contingency for this eventuality. He says that should also have been in place for the final. And by the way. He is a Hun!! It was a very good two weeks holiday!!

I just don't get this " flash points where two sets of fans could come together ".

If the police had remained at the ground and prevented the mass invasion , the Rangers fans would have left and be long gone before our supporters left.

It would have taken the best part of an hour for the presentations, lap of honour, and half a dozen renditions of Sunshine on Leith.

gillythehibby
26-08-2016, 04:41 PM

My best mate A Sergeant and he confirmed the polis from Edinburgh on duty were told they could go. When it kicked off they were called back but could not get to the ground as they became involved with Sevco mutants who had decided to have a go at the Polis cause they were raging at getting turned over by the famous. Mind you, whoever nade that decision within the Polis needs shot !!

DH1875
26-08-2016, 04:55 PM
I just don't get this " flash points where two sets of fans could come together ".

If the police had remained at the ground and prevented the mass invasion , the Rangers fans would have left and be long gone before our supporters left.

It would have taken the best part of an hour for the presentations, lap of honour, and half a dozen renditions of Sunshine on Leith.

I have mentioned this before on another thread but we were actually locked in after the game just like when we play at ibrox. Only difference this time was/is that none of us seemed to notice :thumbsup:

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2016, 05:01 PM
To be fair, if yet again a tabloid newspaper has given a false account of an event, they deserve to be made to print an apology. It doesn't matter who the maligned party is/are; it's unacceptable. I just wish people would stop buying such garbage as news.

Bostonhibby
26-08-2016, 05:15 PM
I haven't forgotten. In fact, that reminds me, I haven't tweeted him today. Must do that just now.
I don't do Twitter but would be ever so grateful if you could pass on the message from me that I think he's not very good at this journalism lark, and he is a turd. [emoji106]

Viva_Palmeiras
26-08-2016, 05:36 PM

Unlike many, I understand from that Celtc poster Jack Regan, Jacko is actually one of the few qualified journalists...

Deansy
26-08-2016, 05:56 PM
To be fair, if yet again a tabloid newspaper has given a false account of an event, they deserve to be made to print an apology. It doesn't matter who the maligned party is/are; it's unacceptable. I just wish people would stop buying such garbage as news.

The 'R*tard' reguarly punishes apologies due to the quality of the Huns employed as 'Journalists' (12-fingered folk rarely do typing well) but they're printed in pages that're nothing to do with the subject-matter -I.E. if it's an apology regarding an inaccurate sports article, the apology is inserted in the 'Business' section or vice versa, or sometimes they're hidden alongside adverts.

Btw - this paragraph -

'The newspaper said that it had received an email from somebody who identified himself as a serving police officer who described the incident in detail; it said it had been unable to verify whether or not the person who sent the email was in fact a police officer'

THAT is laughable - 'Somebody' passes himself off as a policeman and the 'tard' can't confirm if he's genuine or not ??. That's on a par with 'a big boy done it and ran away !!'. Any .netters with journalistic backgrounds who can confirm the general press operate in such a cack-handed, slap-dash manner or is it just this apology of a rag ??

Skol
26-08-2016, 06:24 PM
I have mentioned this before on another thread but we were actually locked in after the game just like when we play at ibrox. Only difference this time was/is that none of us seemed to notice :thumbsup:

ANy chance that the locked gates were to stop huns getting in to defend themselves ?

BullsCloseHibs
26-08-2016, 06:39 PM
The grapes are so sour they've turned from juice to dust...

Bostonhibby
26-08-2016, 06:51 PM
ANy chance that the locked gates were to stop huns getting in to defend themselves ?
[emoji23]

Velma Dinkley
26-08-2016, 07:48 PM
The unethical way in which journalists at many national newspapers work would probably surprise the people who think they wouldn't be surprised by it! Interestingly, those journalists tend to go for a beers together and convince each other they're all doing the right thing and are helping society.

SunshineOnLeith
26-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Is IPSO in on the massive anti-Hibs conspiracy too then, aye? 😂

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
26-08-2016, 08:33 PM
The unethical way in which journalists at many national newspapers work would probably surprise the people who think they wouldn't be surprised by it! Interestingly, those journalists tend to go for a beers together and convince each other they're all doing the right thing and are helping society.

Agree with this, my experience of journos is that they are pretty unethica, but they are all convinced its for some higher good - speaking truth to power etc

What journos cant accept is that ultimately they are in the entertainment business, and with a few notable exceptions, they are to truth, writing and investigative journalism what WWE wrestling is to sport.