PDA

View Full Version : Just how good could John McGinn turn out to be?

Northernhibee
25-08-2016, 11:34 PM
He's only 21, he's part of an elite group of players to lift the Scottish Cup with Hibs, he's been player of the season, he's made his international debut and been MOTM, he's been selected again by Strachan - how good could he be?

IMO he's far better than Ryan Gauld when he signed for Lisbon - the boy is a £5m player. Unlimited potential and if he's guided correctly he could go on to play in any premier league in Europe, quite easily, in three years time.

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2016, 01:18 AM
He's only 21, he's part of an elite group of players to lift the Scottish Cup with Hibs, he's been player of the season, he's made his international debut and been MOTM, he's been selected again by Strachan - how good could he be?

IMO he's far better than Ryan Gauld when he signed for Lisbon - the boy is a £5m player. Unlimited potential and if he's guided correctly he could go on to play in any premier league in Europe, quite easily, in three years time.

You forgot to add that he has a League cup winners with St Mirren and a runners up medal with us .... that's two winners medals and a runner up medal and he hasn't even kicked a ball for one of the old firm. If he goes on at this rate he will be the most decorated non OF player since the 1980s. If we win the league and he continues to progress and becomes a top player in the Premiership he could well be a 5 million player.

Ergye
26-08-2016, 03:34 AM
He's so good that some day Pele will admit to an illegitmate child conceived in the West of Scotland yesteryear.

Keyser Sauzee
26-08-2016, 04:10 AM

I'm not going to argue that McGinn is a better player than Gauld, he may well be but I'm not 100% as I haven't seen Gauld in a while, but to say he is "far" better is a stretch IMO.

McGinns potential is huge tho and I can see him becoming Scotland captain in a few years.

bigwheel
26-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Gauld and McGinn are hard to compare - they are quite different players ...Gauld is more like Scott Allan.

It seems that McGinn grows his performance each year. He looks like one of those who will get better each time he steps up to play against better players ...should go far

Onion
26-08-2016, 05:17 AM
JMcG is a good young player who'll have a decent career with Celtic or a lower ranked EPL club. Reminds me a lot of Pat McGinlay at this stage of his career.

Nameless
26-08-2016, 05:40 AM
I think, with the obscene riches now on offer to any player in the EPL, he will head south in a few years. A WBA or Stoke to start with, but potentially good enough to land a move to a team like Everton or spurs.

swordin3
26-08-2016, 05:56 AM
Just as Celtic gained entry to the champions league I thought immediately with the extra 22 million they will target Mcginn sooner than later. Sevco and Celtic wonder why we don't want them to be successful in Europe as with the money they make they buy our best players. :confused:

Ringothedog
26-08-2016, 06:13 AM
The one thing that will stop him becoming a top player is his lack of pace but he will still become a fantastic player and we should enjoy him while he is with us.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-08-2016, 06:17 AM
It's a difficult one because of the crazy money flying about nowadays.

I hope (along with Cummings) that Mcginn realises that to become a top player,he should establish himself fully at different levels before leaving. He's far too good for the championship but if he stays for another 2 or 3 years that's a lot of first team appearances with us.

Once he's developed with us it's then about finding the right club with the right manager. There's no point rushing off to the first club that offers bit bucks he needs to find a club with principles that will give youth a chance and tries to play football.

In terms of ability he has this in abundance and he also seems to have his head screwed on so I have high hopes for the lad that when he retires, he can look back on his career and say "yep, I made the most of that"

Enough said
26-08-2016, 06:30 AM
JMcG is a good young player who'll have a decent career with Celtic or a lower ranked EPL club. Reminds me a lot of Pat McGinlay at this stage of his career.

Thank goodness your not his agent with comments like that.

Enough said
26-08-2016, 06:30 AM
The one thing that will stop him becoming a top player is his lack of pace but he will still become a fantastic player and we should enjoy him while he is with us.
Lack of pace???? Boys a machine

Ringothedog
26-08-2016, 06:47 AM

He may run for ever but that does not mean he has pace, he is very one paced. That is not a criticism of him as he will progress into a fantastic player with the correct coaching.

mjhibby
26-08-2016, 07:03 AM
It's a difficult one because of the crazy money flying about nowadays.

I hope (along with Cummings) that Mcginn realises that to become a top player,he should establish himself fully at different levels before leaving. He's far too good for the championship but if he stays for another 2 or 3 years that's a lot of first team appearances with us.

Once he's developed with us it's then about finding the right club with the right manager. There's no point rushing off to the first club that offers bit bucks he needs to find a club with principles that will give youth a chance and tries to play football.

In terms of ability he has this in abundance and he also seems to have his head screwed on so I have high hopes for the lad that when he retires, he can look back on his career and say "yep, I made the most of that"

I think he will stay another couple of years ,help us get promoted and then get at least a season in the SPL under his belt. I hope he does what Jason does and signs a contract to ensure we get decent money when he goes. He definitely will go for a lot of money but due to the low standing of our game I doubt it will be over £4m.

Highland_Hibee
26-08-2016, 07:06 AM
He may run for ever but that does not mean he has pace, he is very one paced. That is not a criticism of him as he will progress into a fantastic player with the correct coaching.

Zidane and Steven Gerrard made pretty decent careers out of having no pace. We already know John is better than at least one of them. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDHibs
26-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Of all the young players who have moved South in recent years from our leagues, McGinn is the most established, most gifted and most likely to succeed and a premiership team, probably mid table like a Stoke/West Brom/Newcastle (When they are back up)/Swansea.

Genuinely believe he has more potential than Scott Brown and will be a mainstay in the Scotland set up for years to come. 1 or 2 more seasons with us, he will get a big move!

J-C
26-08-2016, 07:15 AM
He reminds me of a young Brown but lets hope he goes south rather than west, I fear Brown wasted himself by staying at Celtic and not testing himself at a higher level, MvGinn has the potential to play for a majority of the EPL teams and with great success, it's really all up to him now.

Hermit Crab
26-08-2016, 07:54 AM

He could turn out to be that good he could be away by Wednesday after a last minute big money bid!!

frazeHFC
26-08-2016, 08:02 AM
He can tackle, he can pass, he can run with the ball and beat a man, he can shoot. All round brilliant player love the guy.

scoopyboy
26-08-2016, 08:04 AM
He could turn out to be that good he could be away by Wednesday after a last minute big money bid!!

A concern of mine as well, him and Jason Cummings.

To lose either would be a blow.

Quite confident it won't happen though.

SlickShoes
26-08-2016, 08:19 AM
All I can say is that if he continues to play like he has been for the last year and a bit then he will go on to great things.

Whoever got him signed up on a 4 year deal is a genius.

JimBHibees
26-08-2016, 08:31 AM

Wouldnt be hugely surprised if the lesser greens came sniffing especially if we are possibly trying to get them to do deals for players the other way.

s.a.m
26-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Wouldnt be hugely surprised if the lesser greens came sniffing especially if we are possibly trying to get them to do deals for players the other way.

Wouldn't surprise me either. However, with the Champions' League challenge ahead of them, they might hopefully be after more experience:dunno:

Since90+2
26-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Cant see Celtic coming in for JC or McGinn. They are going to need players that will help them compete in the Champions League and as good players as they are they are not on that level.

Either of them will only go down south likely to a Championship club.

JimBHibees
26-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Wouldn't surprise me either. However, with the Champions' League challenge ahead of them, they might hopefully be after more experience:dunno:

Yep you would assume they would want tried and tested however John may be on a list if they dont get their intended target.

GreenCastle
26-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Few things..

McGinn needs to add goals to his play.

I would like to see him dominate games more often. Whenever he's on the ball he is usually quality but for me he is good enough to run the midfield every week. However we do have Fyvie, Dylan and now Shinnie in there also.

Henderson was the same - lack of goals and drifted in and out of games.

You could see its part of development but I believe SJM is good enough to go to the next level (down south) in years to come.

Basically enjoy watching him while we can!

lucky
26-08-2016, 08:58 AM
I think he's a cracking player and will continue to develop but there were lots on here claiming McGeough was a better player than SJM so if SJM worth £5m how much is DM worth?

scoopyboy
26-08-2016, 09:09 AM
I think he's a cracking player and will continue to develop but there were lots on here claiming McGeough was a better player than SJM so if SJM worth £5m how much is DM worth?

His value would rise significantly if he could play a full season, teams won't take a chance paying a fee on somebody who misses so many games.

Since90+2
26-08-2016, 09:12 AM
McGeough is a better player IMO but his value is not as high due to his injuries. Technically Dylan is the best player by some distance at the club.

lord bunberry
26-08-2016, 09:16 AM
He's the 2nd best player in the world behind David Gray.

Northernhibee
26-08-2016, 09:32 AM
He's the 2nd best player in the world behind David Gray.

Yep. Although both would be on the bench in the team of Colin Nish.

lord bunberry
26-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Yep. Although both would be on the bench in the team of Colin Nish.
Alas the great man has hung up his boots.

Cocaine&Caviar
26-08-2016, 09:50 AM
He'll be 22 in just over a month. Cant think of mny examples of player that have went to the big 5 or 6 english clubs after entering a top league so late in their career (assuming we get at least 1 more year out of him).

Could see him going the James McArthur/McCarthy route. Move to a club like Wigan and impress, then to a Palace or Everton down the line. Although i believe they both were younger than 20 when moving south.

ahibby
26-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Just as Celtic gained entry to the champions league I thought immediately with the extra 22 million they will target Mcginn sooner than later. Sevco and Celtic wonder why we don't want them to be successful in Europe as with the money they make they buy our best players. :confused:

I agree but I don't think it will happen for a couple of years. I see him as a straight replacement for Scott Brown but they will want JMcG to keep playing first team meantime. Their cash pot will be there and who is to say that it won't involve cash and LH when the time comes. As I said though I don't think it will come soon but in a couple of years and a lot of things can happen between now and then. As I mentioned LH, when I first heard of the Premiership B for under 23 squads, immediately I thought that's were LH could end up.

Waxy
26-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Celtic will take Mcginn not to play him, but to weaken us.

ahibby
26-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Few things..

I would like to see him dominate games more often. Whenever he's on the ball he is usually quality but for me he is good enough to run the midfield every week. However we do have Fyvie, Dylan and now Shinnie in there also.

You could see its part of development but I believe SJM is good enough to go to the next level (down south) in years to come.

I'm not sure he does, of course it's great for any Hibs player to improve their goals/games ratio but Scott Brown for example is first name on the Celtic Sheet but doesn't offer much in the way of goals. I see McG being the new Scott Brown for Scotland and eventually perhaps at Celtic too, but that's a long way off (I hope).

Stewboy
26-08-2016, 11:29 AM

Makes sense, given how many points we will take of Celtic this season? :rolleyes:

J-C
26-08-2016, 11:38 AM

Why do they want to weaken us, what threat are we to them this season?

They'll want McGinn because he's one of the brightest stars in Scottish football and is an ideal replacement for Brown, he's also a full international now.

1875M
26-08-2016, 11:47 AM
As good as Brown, if not better. Must be go up this year to keep him at Hibs, same with JC.

patlowe
26-08-2016, 12:08 PM
I think Celtic might hold off on buying anymore Scottish midfield prospects for a bit.

Dublin07
26-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Notts Forest have just had a bid of 8m for Oliver Burke 19 yo Scottish winger that made it to Scotland squad at same time as John. It is just funny money in England at present and hibs should not entertain anything less than 5m for McGinn or Cummings.

superfurryhibby
26-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Few things..

A good appraisal. He has the qualities to be a fantastic player, technical ability, energy, attitude and grit. He does need to score more, perhaps get a bit more drive into his game whilst near the danger area. Hear's hoping that we don't get a late bid from anyone and that we hold onto him for a while longer.

Brightside
26-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Notts Forest have just had a bid of 8m for Oliver Burke 19 yo Scottish winger that made it to Scotland squad at same time as John. It is just funny money in England at present and hibs should not entertain anything less than 5m for McGinn or Cummings.

Burke is top class.

greenteam
26-08-2016, 12:48 PM

Funny you said that. I thought the exact same however football has changed since then and I hope he has better than McGinlay.. what a talent he was

greenteam
26-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Anyway. .we shouldn't be selling anyone. Keep this team together for 2 seasons or we will end up back where we started? Surely progression should be more important than money.

jacomo
26-08-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure he does, of course it's great for any Hibs player to improve their goals/games ratio but Scott Brown for example is first name on the Celtic Sheet but doesn't offer much in the way of goals. I see McG being the new Scott Brown for Scotland and eventually perhaps at Celtic too, but that's a long way off (I hope).

Scott Brown is the comparison for me.

Brown started as a striker, broke through as box-to-box midfielder but lost goals from his game as he became more of CM at Celtc.

SJM is similar in many ways, but I'd like to see him score more often.

FifeHibs
26-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Most people wear superman pyjamas; superman wears John mcGinn
Pyjamas

Nutmegged
26-08-2016, 02:55 PM
He reminds me of a young Brown but lets hope he goes south rather than west, I fear Brown wasted himself by staying at Celtic and not testing himself at a higher level, MvGinn has the potential to play for a majority of the EPL teams and with great success, it's really all up to him now.

I was talking to a Celtic fan about this the other day, his response with regards to Scott Brown caused me to have anre-think, Brown is the fifth longest ever Captain of Celtic and is the second most decorated skipper behind Billy McNeil, he is also their record capped European player.

Celtic are a massive club and Scott Brown will go down as one of their most deocrated players, he'll be very happy with his lot when he hangs them up in my opinion.

calumhibee1
26-08-2016, 03:15 PM
I was talking to a Celtic fan about this the other day, his response with regards to Scott Brown caused me to have anre-think, Brown is the fifth longest ever Captain of Celtic and is the second most decorated skipper behind Billy McNeil, he is also their record capped European player.

Celtic are a massive club and Scott Brown will go down as one of their most deocrated players, he'll be very happy with his lot when he hangs them up in my opinion.

Agreed. Don't like Celtic but Scott Brown has had a superb career winning countless trophies, alot of them as captain, playing in some huge European games and captaining his country while earning a hell of a lot of money. People need to remember that when they say he should have went down south, he'd maybe have a bit more money but he wouldn't have the medals or the big occasions to look back on when he calls time on his career.

Onion
26-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Thank goodness your not his agent with comments like that.

Too honest to be his agent, and not here to play to the crowd :greengrin

simple
26-08-2016, 04:00 PM

In my book he's a 2-3m player, but I think if he keeps going he will be a 3-4m player, if his progression keeps up.

Hermit Crab
26-08-2016, 04:11 PM

It would take a very big bid for him to go though so I think we're ok. Teams won't take a chance when big money is involved. I'm just hoping he doesn't get injured away with Scotland next week.

ancient hibee
26-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Celtic won't chase McGinn in the near future.They'll just think of the last batch of Scottish highly rated midfielders they signed and say no thanks.

lord bunberry
26-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Celtic won't chase McGinn in the near future.They'll just think of the last batch of Scottish highly rated midfielders they signed and say no thanks.
To be fair though, when they get a player from us, they tend to do quite well. I'm including griffiths in that :greengrin

ancient hibee
26-08-2016, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=lord bunberry;4802506]To be fair though, when they get a player from us, they tend to do quite well. I'm including griffiths in that :greengrin[/QUOTE

Riordan?

ScottB
26-08-2016, 06:04 PM
He's great for us, but, he's nearly 22 and he's playing in the Scottish Championship... It's not how many future Ballon D'or winners start!

I could see him going to a decent Championship side down south, then, if things go well, potentially playing in the Premiership. That would still make him one of the best Scottish players of his generation.

lord bunberry
26-08-2016, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=lord bunberry;4802506]To be fair though, when they get a player from us, they tend to do quite well. I'm including griffiths in that :greengrin[/QUOTE

Riordan?
That was their own stupid fault. Most Celtic fans couldn't understand why their manager was saying he was the best finisher at the club, then not playing him.

ancient hibee
26-08-2016, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=ancient hibee;4802507]
That was their own stupid fault. Most Celtic fans couldn't understand why their manager was saying he was the best finisher at the club, then not playing him.

Quite agree.

lord bunberry
26-08-2016, 06:12 PM
He's great for us, but, he's nearly 22 and he's playing in the Scottish Championship... It's not how many future Ballon D'or winners start!

I could see him going to a decent Championship side down south, then, if things go well, potentially playing in the Premiership. That would still make him one of the best Scottish players of his generation.
He's playing in the Scottish championship because he is playing for one of the biggest teams in the country. He would walk into any team in Scotland apart from Celtic(and it could easily be argued that he would get a game there as well). If he was playing for Aberdeen , would you raise your expectations of him. I agree with the rest of your summary of him, it's just the Scottish championship part I don't like :greengrin

Itsnoteasy
26-08-2016, 07:19 PM

Aye a washing machine

No a running machine

Big L
26-08-2016, 11:51 PM

Your right, that plan didn't go to well. I hope we get McKay Stevens when they are getting rid.

Pete
27-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Interesting comparisons with Brown but he was a different player when he was McGinns age. He was also a ball of energy but played a lot better in the attacking half than the defensive one. I remember him playing as a striker a few times under Mowbray.

McGinn has the attributes a young Kevin Thomson possessed. Core strength with that low centre of gravity, the ability to shield the ball, a good tackle and good vision.

While he's still young and raw, he's got the best attributes of both these players in his locker. I'd go as far to say that the midfield we have now of Fyvie, McGinn, McGeouch, Shinnie and the others are at least comparable to the golden generation of Brown, Thomson, Boozy, Stewart and Sheils.

We need to get up to properly test the theory as we've been a quality side in the wrong league for too long.

Ergye
27-08-2016, 02:08 AM
John McGinn wears a burkini on a French beach freely and turns on the watching locals.

Because he can.

Pete
27-08-2016, 02:17 AM
John McGinn wears a burkini on a French beach freely and turns on the watching locals.

Because he can.

John McGinn would wear a Burkini on a French beach and order the police to undress.

Make no mistake, they would do so.

Sir Anthony Stokes could make then convert to Islam should he wish.

wookie70
27-08-2016, 09:14 AM
SJM reminds me of Gareth Barrey

Paisley Hibby
27-08-2016, 11:52 AM
If Stubbs hadn't agreed not to take any of our players in return for us giving him permission to talk to Rotherham, McGinn would be down there now. Just saying like.

hibeedonald
27-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Am I right in saying he has a year left on his contract?

Aldo
27-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Am I right in saying he has a year left on his contract? Who McGinn??

He signed for us in 2015 on a 4 year deal!

hibeedonald
27-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Who McGinn??

He signed for us in 2015 on a 4 year deal!

Nice one, that is music to my ears

Ergye
27-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Nice one, that is music to my ears

John McGinn is so tender with a football, it sounds to your ears, like the gentle strumming of a lute if you listen carefully enough.