PDA

View Full Version : FF V TT - who would win?

Edinburgher
25-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before (and perhaps the schoolboy silliness of question!) and yes of course big differences, in era, tactics, fitness levels etc but all things equal who do people believe would be the victors in a full strength line up game? Primarily for old timers but anyone else`s view welcome -FWIW I once asked my granddad if he thought the Turnbull`s Tornadoes would beat Gordon Smith and co and he just gave me one of those your joking right looks but then GS was his idol.

JDHibs
25-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Definitely read this as "Fraser Fyvie vs Tom Taiwo"

My Bad....

Juice-Terry
25-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Definitely read this as "Fraser Fyvie vs Tom Taiwo"

My Bad....

Me too. :agree:

Juice-Terry
25-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before (and perhaps the schoolboy silliness of question!) and yes of course big differences, in era, tactics, fitness levels etc but all things equal who do people believe would be the victors in a full strength line up game? Primarily for old timers but anyone else`s view welcome -FWIW I once asked my granddad if he thought the TT would beat Gordon Smith and co and he just gave me one of those your joking right looks but then GS was his idol.

I'm sure the VAST majority of those who have seen both sides would say the Famous Five line up would win handsomely against Turnball's Tornadoes.

therealgavmac
25-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm sure the VAST majority of those who have seen both sides would say the Famous Five line up would win handsomely against Turnball's Tornadoes.

Never saw the Famous Five, but from what my Dad told me I'm sure they would have won handsomely....... However grew up in the Tornadoes era, and in full flight my God they were a sight to behold...... 5 will NEVER be 7..... FACT. ENDOF.

Septimus
25-08-2016, 02:08 PM
I saw both and they were completely different entities. The FF were a delight to watch with loads of individual talent but I would think that the TT were fitter. Time tends to lend stardust to these things and what would I give to see them all again at the height of their powers.

Onceinawhile
25-08-2016, 02:35 PM
TT'S would win. Purely because the 5 up front would leave the FF horribly exposed on counter attacks, or any other type of attack really.

DarrenSQH
25-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Fraser Fyvie for me.

ancient hibee
25-08-2016, 02:56 PM
TT'S would win. Purely because the 5 up front would leave the FF horribly exposed on counter attacks, or any other type of attack really.

Well it certainly didn't when they were winning league titles and only losing 26 and 36 goals in those seasons.

J-C
25-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Grew up watching the tornadoes and in their pomp gave the OF a good run for their money splitting them regularly at the top of the table, probably the best team never to win the title. The FF team were legends and years ahead of their time tactic and formation wise, TBH not too unalike and it would be a close game, probably be the best defence would win as attack wise they were both awesome.

hibs0666
25-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Given that there is 20 years of football development between the two teams the 70's team would murder the FF team.

Equally, today's team would murder the 70's team.

Kato
25-08-2016, 03:23 PM

They didn't actually all play up front all through each game.

Kato
25-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Given that there is 20 years of football development between the two teams the 70's team would murder the FF team.

Trolly-Wolly

Tom Hart RIP
25-08-2016, 03:45 PM
I remember Eddie Turnbulls comments after 7-0 game saying the FF couldn't have beat the Tornadoes on that form. I never saw FF but I probably saw every home game the TTs played and they were magnificent.

Dan Sarf
25-08-2016, 04:13 PM
It would be a draw.

Until the last minute. :aok:

Alex Trager
25-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Me shree

son of haggart
25-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Sadly just missed seeing either team

The record books are in favour of the TT in the 6 games they all played against each other ( 4 wins for Hearts, 1 for Hibs and 1 draw, goals Hearts 15 Hibs 5) but of courses there's lies, damned lies and statistics so these don't tell the whole story.

The stats are here:

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/misc/ttvsff.html

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Sadly just missed seeing either team

The record books are in favour of the TT in the 6 games they all played against each other ( 4 wins for Hearts, 1 for Hibs and 1 draw, goals Hearts 15 Hibs 5) but of courses there's lies, damned lies and statistics so these don't tell the whole story.

The stats are here:

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/misc/ttvsff.html

Troll :greengrin

Either you've misunderstood the thread title, or you're deliberately trying to hook a few on here......:greengrin

ancient hibee
25-08-2016, 04:46 PM
The only way to answer the question is to ask which team did
best against its contemporaries and there is no doubt which one wins on that score.

The team generally recognised as TT played together less than two dozen times.

Lawrie Reilly had the best answer when asked if the FF would beat the "golden generation"."It would be a struggle but we would win.Of course two of us are in our eighties and the other three are dead."

erin go bragh
25-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Never seen any of them unfortunately but my money would be on the FF . Back to back league wins . But none of they two managed to win that bloody cup ( Two of the reasons I had convinced myself that we were indeed cursed and would never win it ) Never been so glad to have been proven wrong :-)
Who would win between the 2016 Immortals and the cup winning side of 2007 ?

Jones28
25-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Troll :greengrin

Either you've misunderstood the thread title, or you're deliberately trying to hook a few on here......:greengrin

Tbf I thought TT was the terrible trio!

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2016, 04:52 PM

I'm amazed that one so young would have heard of them. Fair play to you :agree:

dchibs
25-08-2016, 04:56 PM
same here,

Radium
25-08-2016, 05:05 PM

Ditto. Arguments between my dad and nana about the 40s & 50s teams always ended up with Dave Mackay being added to the TT. Each kept their own opinion.

Normally ended when the Baker boy was mentioned by my dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhibs
25-08-2016, 05:09 PM

Three !

Norrieg
25-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Could I have some of what you're on :hilarious

Bostonhibby
25-08-2016, 07:54 PM
High scoring draw, neither would have wanted future debates that might devalue the achievements of the other?
Older hibbies in my family used to say the FF were more successful but TT were a more complete team and easier on the eye.

Bostonhibby
25-08-2016, 07:56 PM
High scoring draw, neither would have wanted future debates that might devalue the achievements of the other?
Older hibbies in my family used to say the FF were more successful but TT were a more complete team and easier on the eye.
They also used to say FTH.[emoji1]

brog
25-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Interesting thread. Of course there's more people on here who have seen TT vs the FF so the results are skewed. The famous 5 unfortunately are just that, 5 forwards/attacking midfield players. It's hard to argue that anyone from TT front 5 of Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley & Duncan would get a game for the FF with IMO the possible exception of Cropley. However it's equally hard to argue that Stanton, Brownlie & Blackley would not have enhanced the FF team. Both great teams full of great players & great personalities!

FRes Hibbie
25-08-2016, 09:46 PM

So by that logic Terry Butcher's relegated team would've (at the very least) been favourites to beat a Tony Mowbray side containing a young Riordan, Goc, brown, Thomson, boozy, murphy, Whittaker, etc since they'd had ten years extra football development?

Football standards aren't constantly improving, certainly not in Scotland anyway.

Bill Milne
26-08-2016, 09:35 AM
May depend on what type of ball was used. I played with a lace-up ball at primary school level at Craigmillar and it was murder when conditions were wet!! TT would have trouble adjusting while FF would be more than comfortable with a 70s style ball.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2016, 09:47 AM
TT would win as there's 11 of them and only 5 of the FF. If they played fives it would closer - if Turnbull could play in goals.