PDA

View Full Version : Another Petrie Thread

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Have we forgiven him for Calderwood, Butcher etc? Has the Scottish Cup put that right? Is the absence of Petrie threads indicative that we believe has has really stepped back and left Dempster to run the show?

My own view to all the above is basically yes, but with the odd qualified snidey sound to be evoked when we have the next bad run of results.

Ozyhibby
24-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baw187
24-08-2016, 08:37 PM
He went up in my estimation for his 'exuberance' shout.

Still, he took us through some dark times prior to LD pitching up.

greenpaper55
24-08-2016, 08:41 PM
He should be nowhere near the club.

Thecat23
No.

hibbydad
Forget it let's look to the future

Dalianwanda
24-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Ah jeez, this could be a long one.......Clubs going well (apart from the league we are still in), he did a lot of good things as well as a lot of crap..Leannes running the show now & if she isnt then who ever is is getting a lot right :gwa2:

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-08-2016, 08:44 PM
As much a part of the Scottish Cup winning club as any other board member and got it bang on the money with his "exuberance" call.

Petrie debates have been done to the death and he must take some responsibility for our sporting failures over the years but he has given is a sound financial position and given us a stadium and training centre to be proud of.

Hopefully we will start the reap the rewards of having a larger stadium and fans continue to back the club

DaveF
24-08-2016, 08:46 PM
The club is moving on. Some fans with never ending grudges should too.

HTD1875
24-08-2016, 08:47 PM
I did give him a good reception in Copenhagen along with most other hibbys there.

To be fair though we had been drinking for 48 hours by that point.

Deansy
24-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Sadly, no - imho, winning the SC still in no way compensates for the years of absolute dross we suffered all so he could build a lasting memorial to himself !

CentreLine
24-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Yes. Tough times we had but he never wavered IMHO and brought home the bacon. The club is still on that everlasting five year plan but it's on a better footing than it has ever been financially. We have a fantastic stadium and training facility, fully owned by the club and we are finally getting the product on the park that we have been crying out for for years. The club is all about us pulling in the same direction and that begins with putting past issues behind us.
Just an opinion from an eternal optimist 🤗

mcfly
24-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Old old debate give it a rest and move forward.

Enough said
24-08-2016, 08:52 PM
1 Person ... Leanne dempster enough said

stantonhibby
24-08-2016, 08:52 PM
The club is moving on. Some fans with never ending grudges should too.

Absolutely

scoopyboy
24-08-2016, 08:53 PM
As much a part of the Scottish Cup winning club as any other board member and got it bang on the money with his "exuberance" call.

Petrie debates have been done to the death and he must take some responsibility for our sporting failures over the years but he has given is a sound financial position and given us a stadium and training centre to be proud of.

Hopefully we will start the reap the rewards of having a larger stadium and fans continue to back the club

Holy s***, I find myself agreeing with you. :greengrin

Good post.

Bishop Hibee
24-08-2016, 08:54 PM
He should have gone after our relegation.

He did manage to galvanise 2000 Hibs fans to turn up and protest at Easter Road. More than Rangers or Hearts managed to muster when their clubs were going down the toilet. The protest was the catalyst for Dempster and the club turning around and moving in the right direction.

A mixed legacy.

jarre1875
24-08-2016, 08:56 PM
We should all move on. Let Leeann get on with her job. Thedifference at the club since she come on board is like night and day. We are finally all going together in the right direction. Lets all strap in and ride the hibernian rollercoaster cause anythung else would probably be *****

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Holy s***, I find myself agreeing with you. :greengrin

Good post.

Hahaha a one of... or the start of a Bromance??

Would still prefer Petrie to leave but with Farmer "in charge" I don't see that happening so got to make the best out of the situation which I think he is trying to do now too

RoYO!
24-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Sadly, no - imho, winning the SC still in no way compensates for the years of absolute dross we suffered all so he could build a lasting memorial to himself !

And in the mean time bringing bank debt to zero and future proofing our infrastructure for generations to come. Hey ho, each to their own.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Petrie should never have taken on the Chief Exec role 2nd time around. In fairness to him he eventually realised that and moved to bring in Dempster. Sadly the years without a plan had already done the damage.

Fwiw I was and am a bit uncomfortable with some of the personal insults thrown at him, and to a lesser extent, STF. Yes, mistakes have been made but we're moving on and his day to day role at the club is minimal.

Smartie
24-08-2016, 09:13 PM
He deserves to take flak for his role in bringing about our bad times.

And fair is fair - if he deserves that then he deserves praise for the good times that are brought. And I for one had a rather good time on the 21st May.

I think we should let bygones be bygones. And tbh I don't think he's going anywhere soon so we might have some good and bad times together yet to come.

IncredibleHibee
24-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Far be it for me to defend Petrie but remember he was part of the decision making process to bring LD in. He is very good at running the club as a business and I think that can be seen from our financial footing and the infrastructure we have i.e. the stadium and training facility. That being said he made a series of extremely poor footballing decisions BUT he did realise that.......eventually (although of course we would have all liked for him to realise sooner).

I will admit I was calling for his head for a few years before we got relegated and then obviously screaming for his head once we did get relegated. HOWEVER it's a big man that holds his hands up and acknowledges his faults - which I think the LD appointment and the restructuring of the hierarchy proves.

Say what you will about 'the tash' but he is a hibs man and good at running a business. Keep the footballing decisions for someone else though please.

The Modfather
24-08-2016, 09:18 PM
We were an utter shambles, from top to bottom, under his stewardship the last 10 years or so. We are still on the journey to repair the damage of the downward spiral he oversaw.

The only plus side to him having the brass neck to have stayed this long is that he isn't running the SFA, which he appears to harbour ambitions for. God help the national side if/when he is steering that ship.

Dempster has been a godsend, she has given us our club back. So while I'm 100% onboard with Hibs and looking forward, not back, which is why I rarely mention Petrie. When the subject comes up it's my opinion that it is a disgrace he didn't have the same integrity as Fenlon to hold his hands up and move on.

Jones28
24-08-2016, 09:27 PM

What, you mean one of the most modern football stadiums in Scotland and a training facility that would rival most teams in the English Premiership? Those memorials?

Northernhibee
24-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Yes, he has an important part to play at the club as long as he has a footballing person like LD alongside. What I used to call "penny pinching" has given us one of the best stadia in Scotland, arguably the best training facilities in Scotland and the best deals for want-away players like Scott Allan (who we really robbed Celtic for). Having him to build the bricks and mortar and Leeann to attract the best coaching staff and in turn players is a brilliant combination.

Michael
24-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Yes. He signed Dempster who signed Stubbs. Our path to winning the SC was a weird one, but Petrie had a significant role to play. Harsh not to give him credit.

Captain Trips
24-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Its a disgrace this club staggered and spluttered to the 2nd tier of Scottish football with several poor seasons.

Yeah we won the cup but relegation after several warnings is unforgivable.

guthrie01
24-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Back in the old days I am pretty sure Petrie was trying his best to make this club successful. Obviously we can see his choice in managers and anything on the field related was awful, which cause us or ultimate relegation. Looking at many clubs in England we see the situation with many clubs having men in charge who don't care one bit about the club or its fans, just look at Blackpool and the whole mess their fans have to go through.
It was only when relegation hit us when the majority of fans wanted him out and which he did, fully let Leeann in charge of the club and we can see the football improving and the overall state of the club. Don't see the reason to hound him out the club or throw personal insults at him at all, we saw the aftermath of the cup final, he was behind the fans 100% and im sure working hard behind the scenes to keep our fines down to a minimum. Happy to see him sit at the board and let others manage the big decisions.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2016, 10:22 PM
We've had far more good times than bad since Petrie joined Hibs.

Ergye
24-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Any man who has the balls to sport a moustache for the best part of their life clearly has a great sense of humour.

He's alright by me.

Halifaxhibby
24-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Leanne wears the breeks now(thank god) the whole institution...that is HIBERNIAN is now back on the right track...a blind man on the moon can see the change. Rod had good intentions but fell short.

GGTTH
FTHMFC

jacomo
24-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Petrie should never have taken on the Chief Exec role 2nd time around. In fairness to him he eventually realised that and moved to bring in Dempster. Sadly the years without a plan had already done the damage.

Fwiw I was and am a bit uncomfortable with some of the personal insults thrown at him, and to a lesser extent, STF. Yes, mistakes have been made but we're moving on and his day to day role at the club is minimal.

Spot on.

Halifaxhibby
24-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Your right as jacomo says bud. Without rod we may not have had the best stadium and training facilities in Edinburgh, outwith Edinburgh city...Rod put us on the right path but, he didn't have the overall skills to guide us as chairman...leanne is the answer...

jacomo
24-08-2016, 11:02 PM
He deserves to take flak for his role in bringing about our bad times.

And fair is fair - if he deserves that then he deserves praise for the good times that are brought. And I for one had a rather good time on the 21st May.

I think we should let bygones be bygones. And tbh I don't think he's going anywhere soon so we might have some good and bad times together yet to come.

And you as well.

Farmer put the money in to save our club. And Petrie is the man he trusts to be custodian.

It seems to me that Petrie is back in the role that plays to his strengths. And to his credit, has acknowledged his mistakes.

Halifaxhibby
24-08-2016, 11:09 PM
He is better in that role bud. He COULDN'T take us forward from that.

lyonhibs
25-08-2016, 05:37 AM
What, you mean one of the most modern football stadiums in Scotland and a training facility that would rival most teams in the English Premiership? Those memorials?

Nah mate, the 100ft tall "Petrie Christus" statue at the top of Easter Road. Causes havoc with the traffic flow, but what a stunning bit of public art it truly is.

You not seen it??!?

Jones28
25-08-2016, 05:56 AM
Nah mate, the 100ft tall "Petrie Christus" statue at the top of Easter Road. Causes havoc with the traffic flow, but what a stunning bit of public art it truly is.

You not seen it??!?

😂😂

The way people go on about it you'd think he'd demolished the old east and opened a Rod Petrie museum a gallery instead.

Pete
25-08-2016, 06:11 AM
Trolling thread.

Sure the OP must have been bored or something ;-)

jax67
25-08-2016, 06:16 AM
Yes. Tough times we had but he never wavered IMHO and brought home the bacon. The club is still on that everlasting five year plan but it's on a better footing than it has ever been financially. We have a fantastic stadium and training facility, fully owned by the club and we are finally getting the product on the park that we have been crying out for for years. The club is all about us pulling in the same direction and that begins with putting past issues behind us.
Just an opinion from an eternal optimist 🤗

If Petrie promises to fill in the corners, then I'm happy to put the past to bed. PS, of course I mean the corners of his moustache!!

ian cruise
25-08-2016, 07:19 AM
A lot of the stuff Petrie gets grief for is stuff fans were asking for or excited about when it happened at the time. Yes we had a run of poor managers however (generalising here, obviously there wasn't a 100%*consensus) fans wanted Yogi and Butcher, Mixu was a club hero and had done well in lower league, when Pat was appointed folk were excited due to his success in LOI and it showed the club was trying something new, Calderwood came to us highly rated and excited some, even when he was talking about his sweeties there were some who believed that he must of had something to offer to have other interest and that we should have kept him. I'd also refute the suggestion that those managers were not well backed in the transfer market by the board either.

Yes, there were failings in the board but they are only quantifiable in retrospect and I'd argue that each time they took stock, reviewed and tried something different to rectify the issue rather than just keep hiring from the same SPL managers that a lot of the clubs around is were doing. Yes we've fallen incredibly low but it seems doing so has allowed us your regroup, rebuild and are now looking like a club with an extremely strong infrastructure that will outlast the loss of most key personnel as long as it's not a mass exodus. What hurt us most in the past was the loss of John Park to Celtic and it's hard to blame Petrie or the previous board for that, obviously in retrospect you'd argue there should have been contingency for the loss but unfortunately there wasn't, we aren't alone in that.

Outwith the Old Firm, potentially just Celtic, I'd be surprised if any Scottish club was in as good a place behind the scenes as us and that's not just the good work of Leanne. It's been a hard Road but now is the time we need to respond the benefits, some would argue, myself included, that we've seen the beginning of this already. I'd rather be in our position than any other Scottish club outwith Celtic at this moment in time. Yes we're still in the second tier and that hurts however getting out of that is in our own hands and it's started off well.

Mikeystewart
25-08-2016, 07:36 AM
On the pitch it's been mostly failure. Off the pitch it's been very successful.

The rejection of the 1.7m Cummings bid should be enough evidence to prove that he is no longer in charge.

bigwheel
25-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Petrie remains firmly hands on with Hibs. I'm not saying he doesn't give Dempster a full mandate, but if anyone is suggesting Dempster has full run without oversight and control from petrie they are mistaken. Petrie takes many meetings on Hibs and remains involved in all key activities.

There is nothing happening with Hibs that he is not understanding or supporting.

He remains a very active Chairman.

Winston Ingram
25-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Have we forgiven him for Calderwood, Butcher etc? Has the Scottish Cup put that right? Is the absence of Petrie threads indicative that we believe has has really stepped back and left Dempster to run the show?

My own view to all the above is basically yes, but with the odd qualified snidey sound to be evoked when we have the next bad run of results.

Nope. His run of appointments since Mowbray have been a disgrace and his failure to act in the 10 ganes prior to our relegation was unforgivable.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2016, 08:30 AM
I can't believe he's still at the club, should have been gone the year we went down.

JDHibs
25-08-2016, 08:31 AM
The years of being in nobodies land as a club should never be forgotten.

However, they should be put at the back of every bodies mind as he had the intelligence eventually to take a step back, yes it took relegation for him to realise but so be it. He realised and stepped back.

Now Dempster has the reigns the club has been transformed! Anybody and everybody can see that!

Onwards and upwards!

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Petrie remains firmly hands on with Hibs. I'm not saying he doesn't give Dempster a full mandate, but if anyone is suggesting Dempster has full run without oversight and control from petrie they are mistaken. Petrie takes many meetings on Hibs and remains involved in all key activities.

There is nothing happening with Hibs that he is not understanding or supporting.

He remains a very active Chairman.

How does that square with his "non-executive chairman" role?

Ozyhibby
25-08-2016, 09:02 AM
3 years and counting in the second tier, 5 years and counting below the mighty Ross County. We have just finished our 6th straight failed league campaign.
Once there is sustained league success then maybe it would be worth looking at his contribution but while we remain stuck in the championship I would argue that he is still failing.

cmcd
25-08-2016, 09:04 AM
I don't see the point in all this. We should be supporting everyone at the club .Yes mistakes have been made but we All make them. Petrie has made more good decisions than bad (in my opinion )

hibbytam
25-08-2016, 09:13 AM
He should have gone after our relegation.

He did manage to galvanise 2000 Hibs fans to turn up and protest at Easter Road. More than Rangers or Hearts managed to muster when their clubs were going down the toilet. The protest was the catalyst for Dempster and the club turning around and moving in the right direction.

A mixed legacy.

Dempster was already signed and on her way before the end of the season.

Smartie
25-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Nope. His run of appointments since Mowbray have been a disgrace and his failure to act in the 10 ganes prior to our relegation was unforgivable.

He made a lot of mistakes and certainly a few bad appointments but his last appointment was a masterstroke (LD). Even LD will get some right and some wrong over the years.

I don't think his mistakes are unforgiveable - a cheeky wee Scottish Cup win rights a lot of wrongs.

And whilst it is unequivocally NOT where I want to be, I've actually enjoyed a lot of the football we've played over the past 2 years and simply enjoying going to watch Hibs counts for a lot. Mistakes made more than 2 years ago are why we are where we are, pretty much everything has been done well in the past 2 years so I am willing to forgive.

We must get up this year though. Failure to do so and I would have a very different opinion. I'm convinced we will.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Personally speaking, winning the Scottish Cup was worth every ounce of pain I've ever experienced as a Hibs supporter.

I've nothing against Rod - undoubtedly he has his flaws, but I believe he tried his best to do what was right for the club, went at the right time, and appointed a great successor in LD. I'm glad he was around for that day in May.

E10 Rifle
25-08-2016, 09:32 AM
No, he hasn't sorted the pies or seagulls

Dunedin Hibs
25-08-2016, 10:30 AM
I have no problem with Rob, or Leeann, or Neil...as long as they try their hardest and always back our team. We are moving forward. Forget the past (apart from THE Scottish Cup victory of course). Together strong, divided weakened. I stand proudly with those in charge of our mighty team at the moment. In the words of our song..."my tears are drying..." GGTTH

bigwheel
25-08-2016, 10:34 AM
How does that square with his "non-executive chairman" role?

At it's most basic level it simply means he does not also hold a management position in the company. In practice, it also means he has to endorse and support any CEO proposal going to the board. He is also the de facto voice of the major shareholder in the and carries material power as a result. He remains a big figure in the football and Edinburgh community. he has a strong network and long standing set of active relationships. He remains a point of contact for many...

I stress again that it does not mean Dempster doesn't have the full mandate of a CEO - she's does- and is actively pursuing sponsorship and many other initiatives. But its a small business with one major shareholder and if anyone thinks Petrie is now passive to do with Hibs, they don't understand both the guy and the way it's working.

JDHibs
25-08-2016, 10:37 AM
No, he hasn't sorted the pies or seagulls

Fantastic priorities to need sorted haha!!

I agree with this 100% and take back my prior statement. Pies are shocking and the seagulls do my head in!

WhileTheChief..
25-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Can't have too much positivity on here, always good of the OP to bring up a Petrie thread every few months to cause some friction :aok:

greenpaper55
25-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Can't have too much positivity on here, always good of the OP to bring up a Petrie thread every few months to cause some friction :aok:

The only one who caused friction was that numpty ! he should have walked when we were relegated but hangs about like a bad smell. You would think we were sitting on top of the SPL by the comments of some on here, he and he alone is responsible for us being in the 2nd tier of Scottish football for three years ! i have nothing but contempt for the man.

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Petrie's biggest failing was that through it all, through the building of a magnificent ( though unfinished IMO* ) stadium and the building of a superb training facility, he forgot that the number one priority for making a football club successful was its ability to put bums on seats. I'm not saying that the stadium and training facilities should have been neglected in order to put a team on the park, but there's no doubt that as chairman he didn't fully appreciate the football side of the business. The failure to sign Adam Rooney when we had the chance saved us a couple of hundred thousand pounds and probably cost us a couple of million .... because Rooney may well have saved us from relegation.

The thing that Dempster understands and Petrie didn't was that the business of a football club is 'football' and to be successful it must engage with the supporters in a meaningful and especially non patronising way ... under Dempster I simply cant see us coming up with a cringeworthy ST sales pitch like that stupid camouflage covered, Butcher's troops nonsense of a few years ago. She understands that in the context of Scottish football paying customers dwarf any other source of income and that a balance sheet in the black doesn't constitute success if the crowds are 35% below the potential of the club.

If Petrie deserves credit for anything its the fact that by the looks of it he finally recognised that he needed someone around the boardroom running things who understood football and football fans ...... It was just his good fortune that if the last two years are anything to go by he was lucky enough to have appointed a person who is as good, if not better, than anybody in Britain at the job ........ its only a matter of time until a bigger, richer club makes LD an offer she cant refuse ... I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now to be honest.

* ... The way Easter Road was developed is another sign, to me at least, that football related stuff should be the preserve of people who understand football and the folk who support it. I would never have left ER with such large spaces separating the end stands from the side stands, an enclosed ground is a more intimidating ground and though ER isn't at all bad for atmosphere on its day, it could have been so much more. The good news is that with the corners filled in ( not with seats ) and the roofs of the FF and South extended to meet the side stands it still can be the stadium it should be ...... perhaps if we get 7 million for John McGinn :greengrin

Andy74
25-08-2016, 12:22 PM
The only one who caused friction was that numpty ! he should have walked when we were relegated but hangs about like a bad smell. You would think we were sitting on top of the SPL by the comments of some on here, he and he alone is responsible for us being in the 2nd tier of Scottish football for three years ! i have nothing but contempt for the man.

Is that right though? Rod Petrie probably wouldn't have sacked Fenlon and we'd still have been in the top league.

The changes made at the club were all planned if you believe what they have said about the timing of these things.

I think Rod's problem was probably trusting the executives at the club to get on with running it - the roles of Lindsay and whoever the other guy was again look now like total disasters.

I remember talking to Lindsay about putting the sort of structure that is now in place in the club and training centre, seemed a no brainer, but he was very against it as he believed the manager should be allowed total control of the football side with little help but said manager had totally no input into the academy and other parts of the club. fine if someone is overseeing the lot but they weren't.

Previous managers might have been backed with money to get players but they weren't equipped with the tools to bring together a concerted and consistent approach that integrated scouting, recruitment, coaching, fitness, medical etc.

The board and Rod should have seen what was happening in a wider sense at the club and that their investment in stuff wasn't matched by a structure to utilise the stuff we paid for.

I think Rod's value in the last couple of years has been getting the debt and the relationship with the holding company and owner in a good place and getting the HSL and share offers in play. Diluting current owners was a massive plus for us. I think having someone like Rod in our corner with the beaks is also a good thing. Stick to being a chairman but make sure the board are good enough at having oversight of what management are actually doing with the club. Could do a lot better on that front.

Thecat23
25-08-2016, 12:40 PM
One thing he does still get involved in is contract talks. I'm not sure if this was public knowledge but any deals Hibs make to a player has to be given the green light by Petrie and he often sits in meetings with players with LD.

For the record much as I don't like him he's obviously helped in bringing in some good players last couple of years so through gritted teeth I'll be giving him credit for that.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Petrie's biggest failing was that through it all, through the building of a magnificent ( though unfinished IMO* ) stadium and the building of a superb training facility, he forgot that the number one priority for making a football club successful was its ability to put bums on seats. I'm not saying that the stadium and training facilities should have been neglected in order to put a team on the park, but there's no doubt that as chairman he didn't fully appreciate the football side of the business. The failure to sign Adam Rooney when we had the chance saved us a couple of hundred thousand pounds and probably cost us a couple of million .... because Rooney may well have saved us from relegation.

The thing that Dempster understands and Petrie didn't was that the business of a football club is 'football' and to be successful it must engage with the supporters in a meaningful and especially non patronising way ... under Dempster I simply cant see us coming up with a cringeworthy ST sales pitch like that stupid camouflage covered, Butcher's troops nonsense of a few years ago. She understands that in the context of Scottish football paying customers dwarf any other source of income and that a balance sheet in the black doesn't constitute success if the crowds are 35% below the potential of the club.

If Petrie deserves credit for anything its the fact that by the looks of it he finally recognised that he needed someone around the boardroom running things who understood football and football fans ...... It was just his good fortune that if the last two years are anything to go by he was lucky enough to have appointed a person who is as good, if not better, than anybody in Britain at the job ........ its only a matter of time until a bigger, richer club makes LD an offer she cant refuse ... I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now to be honest.

* ... The way Easter Road was developed is another sign, to me at least, that football related stuff should be the preserve of people who understand football and the folk who support it. I would never have left ER with such large spaces separating the end stands from the side stands, an enclosed ground is a more intimidating ground and though ER isn't at all bad for atmosphere on its day, it could have been so much more. The good news is that with the corners filled in ( not with seats ) and the roofs of the FF and South extended to meet the side stands it still can be the stadium it should be ...... perhaps if we get 7 million for John McGinn :greengrin

Regarding the bit in bold - you've given credit then immediately taken it away. In the same sentence you mention good fortune and lucky when referring to Rod appointing Leeanne. How is it lucky? If he gets pilloried for everything he got wrong, surely he gets full credit for what he got right.

One of the most annoying things about this message board over the years has been the habit of many posters to totally undermine our successes, and put them down to luck - Mowbray was lucky that the Golden Generation came along, Collins was lucky to win the cup as he inherited Mowbray's team, we were lucky to wipe out the debt due to so many good players being brought through the system into the first team at once, etc. etc. - whilst apportioning blame for all of the many things that we as a club have got wrong.

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Regarding the bit in bold - you've given credit then immediately taken it away. In the same sentence you mention good fortune and lucky when referring to Rod appointing Leeanne. How is it lucky? If he gets pilloried for everything he got wrong, surely he gets full credit for what he got right.

One of the most annoying things about this message board over the years has been the habit of many posters to totally undermine our successes, and put them down to luck - Mowbray was lucky that the Golden Generation came along, Collins was lucky to win the cup as he inherited Mowbray's team, we were lucky to wipe out the debt due to so many good players being brought through the system into the first team at once, etc. etc. - whilst apportioning blame for all of the many things that we as a club have got wrong.

Well Stevie, that wasn't my intention. He clearly saw the work LD did at Motherwell and based his decision on that. But in any business there is always the chance that things wont work out, from that point of view it worked out for Petrie because LD turned out to be everything he ( and we ) would have hoped for ... from that point of view there is always an element of luck. But as you say, Petrie deserves credit for an inspired appointment and I don't have any problem in giving him that.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Well Stevie, that wasn't my intention. He clearly saw the work LD did at Motherwell and based his decision on that. But in any business there is always the chance that things wont work out, from that point of view it worked out for Petrie because LD turned out to be everything he ( and we ) would have hoped for ... from that point of view there is always an element of luck. But as you say, Petrie deserves credit for an inspired appointment and I don't have any problem in giving him that.

:aok:

Ozyhibby
25-08-2016, 01:50 PM

I'm not sure of the truth of this as I was not involved but did the idea of bringing in Leeann Dempster not come from the 'working together' group who recognised that the club needed a CEO who was not Petrie? I understand he took a bit of persuading on that.
I think the suggestion from the group was to bring in a CEO 'like' Leeann Dempster, so I suppose some credit must go to him for getting the actual Leeann Dempster.
Maybe some of the working together people can confirm?

.Sean.
25-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Yes. He signed Dempster who signed Stubbs. Our path to winning the SC was a weird one, but Petrie had a significant role to play. Harsh not to give him credit.Spot on. I've no issues with the man.

hhibs
25-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Not me.

Nor me.

BoomtownHibees
25-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Strange time for a thread like this

Onion
25-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Should have walked the minute we were relegated. Epytomises the modern-day, failed business man with zero morals and overinflated value of self.

Spike Mandela
25-08-2016, 03:29 PM
For those saying Dempster calls the shots these days it was interesting to me that in the immediate aftermath of the cup win the one that faced the media was Petrie.

Andy74
25-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Should have walked the minute we were relegated. Epytomises the modern-day, failed business man with zero morals and overinflated value of self.

I'm not sure he could be described as a failed business man. Done pretty well for himself I would imagine and trusted sidekick to Sir Tom for many years.

I'm sure walking after relegation would have been much easier for him. If he had there's some chance that the changes, particularly to the bank debt and the share issue, may not have happened or been executed as well.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Well done Rod, you realised what a mess you had and were making, so you went out and brought someone else in who knew what running a football club was all about.

While he remains he will always be the cause of a division within the club and the support.

Thecat23
25-08-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure he could be described as a failed business man. Done pretty well for himself I would imagine and trusted sidekick to Sir Tom for many years.

I'm sure walking after relegation would have been much easier for him. If he had there's some chance that the changes, particularly to the bank debt and the share issue, may not have happened or been executed as well.

I wouldn't say a failed business man either. As a football chairmen he's failed massively.

emerald green
25-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Most times, when things go badly wrong in an organisation, the person responsible at the top gets the sack, or resigns. At a football club, it doesn't go more badly wrong than the club being relegated.

At Hibs, the person ultimately responsible during the club's descent into relegation was Mr Petrie, although many of the players and the two clowns in charge of them at the time must take their share of the blame too.

It's good that Mr Petrie no longer appears to be directly involved in player recruitment and certain other football related matters. This now thankfully seems to be the remit and responsibility of Leeann Dempster, although I would guess that Mr Petrie still has a big say in all matters financial.

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Most times, when things go badly wrong in an organisation, the person responsible at the top gets the sack, or resigns. At a football club, it doesn't go more badly wrong than the club being relegated.

At Hibs, the person ultimately responsible during the club's descent into relegation was Mr Petrie, although many of the players and the two clowns in charge of them at the time must take their share of the blame too.

It's good that Mr Petrie no longer appears to be directly involved in player recruitment and certain other football related matters. This now thankfully seems to be the remit and responsibility of Leeann Dempster, although I would guess that Mr Petrie still has a big say in all matters financial.

I'm not so sure he does.

He's non-exec. He will contribute to all Board decisions as they affect the finances of the Club, and he is still the "conduit" for STF, but that's it. Day-to-day financial decisions will be LD's and Jamie Marwick's.

emerald green
25-08-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm not so sure he does.

He's non-exec. He will contribute to all Board decisions as they affect the finances of the Club, and he is still the "conduit" for STF, but that's it. Day-to-day financial decisions will be LD's and Jamie Marwick's.

Fair enough CWG. That's why I put the word guess in italics in my previous post. I simply wasn't sure / didn't know.

bigwheel
25-08-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm not so sure he does.

The reality is that there are NO material financial decisions that Petrie is not involved in ....

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2016, 07:12 PM
The reality is that there are NO material financial decisions that Petrie is not involved in ....

As a Board member, of course.

But on a day-to-day basis? I'd doubt it.

Andy74
25-08-2016, 07:15 PM

Actually pretty rare for the Chairman to go in failed businesses. Usually executives. It also depends where the failure was. We haven't been a failed business as such.

bigwheel
25-08-2016, 07:20 PM
As a Board member, of course.

But on a day-to-day basis? I'd doubt it.

As the chairman and active representative of the major shareholder , Petrie is active most days on many Hibs related items on a regular basis ... If the implication he is stand off non Exec chair then that's quite different from what happens

Doesn't trouble me , think it is working tbh. But he is not only involved in the big decisions. He has a view on many things and gets involved in a number of operational topics

emerald green
25-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Actually pretty rare for the Chairman to go in failed businesses. Usually executives. It also depends where the failure was. We haven't been a failed business as such.

Agreed. It's usually the CEO who gets the sack in business.

As a business, Hibs haven't failed, but I was referring to the club's failure where it matters - on the pitch - resulting ultimately in relegation. Which was under Rod Petrie's watch, whether one dresses it up as Chairman or CEO.

Vini1875
25-08-2016, 07:22 PM
No. He ought to be gone. His stewardship of the club has been poor overall. The best thing he has done is step back and hire Leeann, but the reality is that she could be cherry picked soon enough and we will be back with RP running things or he could appoint someone in CEO terms who is more like Butcher and less like Tony Mowbray.

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2016, 07:33 PM
As the chairman and active representative of the major shareholder , Petrie is active most days on many Hibs related items on a regular basis ... If the implication he is stand off non Exec chair then that's quite different from what happens

Doesn't trouble me , think it is working tbh. But he is not only involved in the big decisions. He has a view on many things and gets involved in a number of operational topics

It sounds like you have a greater insight than most on here as to the Club's workings.

However, if what you say is correct, then he's clearly not "non-executive". That's a bit sneaky of the club, IMO, as that's what they've told us.

West lower
25-08-2016, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;4801386]3 years and counting in the second tier, 5 years and counting below the mighty Ross County. We have just finished our 6th straight failed league campaign.
Once there is sustained league success then maybe it would be worth looking at his contribution but while we remain stuck in the championship I would argue that he is still failing.

Not sure it's quite fair to blame him for all our failings for the last 3 years. If you are saying that then surely Leann would have to carry just as much of the can too seeing as how she has been there for 3 years too ? I think that the last 3 years have seen a dramatic upturn in our club in practically all aspects, including on the pitch. A blind man can see we are a vastly improved club and team. To put the failings of the team in the last 3 years on Petrie is harsh. He is there as Sir Tom's eyes and ears , and I am grateful for that. Hibs would be in far greater trouble today if Sir Tom and Petrie were not involved. All about opinions though.

Brightside
25-08-2016, 09:41 PM
For those saying Dempster calls the shots these days it was interesting to me that in the immediate aftermath of the cup win the one that faced the media was Petrie.

??? You must have been watching Petrie.tv. :wink:

jacomo
25-08-2016, 10:51 PM

Nope not at all.

LD is the boss. But, at that moment, with a pitch invasion and Der Hun losing it, we needed a calm and measured statement to the media.

Petrie was the perfect man for the occasion. Like I said above, playing to his strengths.

Andy74
26-08-2016, 08:22 AM
It sounds like you have a greater insight than most on here as to the Club's workings.

However, if what you say is correct, then he's clearly not "non-executive". That's a bit sneaky of the club, IMO, as that's what they've told us.

Nothing there that suggests he isn't non executive. I know the chairman of our business who is non exec still spends a great deal of his time in the business. Nothing wrong with that if it is helping to provide the required support and challenge to the management.

Highland_Hibee
26-08-2016, 08:29 AM
The same logic that applies to Petrie being fully responsible for our failures can equally be applied to our successes. Do I think he should have walked when we were relegated? Absolutely. I however find it foolish to hold a grudge over such a period of time if someone has repeatedly shown best interests at heart. We were to be crucified after the Scottish Cup final but Rod stood up and did not allow us to stand responsible for anything other than what really happened. We are moving in the right direction.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-08-2016, 08:40 AM
The same logic that applies to Petrie being fully responsible for our failures can equally be applied to our successes. Do I think he should have walked when we were relegated? Absolutely. I however find it foolish to hold a grudge over such a period of time if someone has repeatedly shown best interests at heart. We were to be crucified after the Scottish Cup final but Rod stood up and did not allow us to stand responsible for anything other than what really happened. We are moving in the right direction.

:top marks

spot on