PDA

View Full Version : The passing of Sam Martinez

jimmyboco1982
24-08-2016, 04:17 PM
It saddens me to write this but today Sam Martinez has died at the age of 106, I have spoken to his family who have confirmed this.

It would be nice to honour Sam during a match with a minutes applause.

The last thing I would like to say is that I am delighted he got to witness Hibs win the Scottish Cup and it makes the gesture by Hibs to send him to the match free of charge all the more fitting.

RIP Sam http://s3.amazonaws.com/tapatalk-emoji/emoji172.png

CallumLaidlaw
24-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Started another thread on this. Feel free to delete that one admins.

RIP Sammy. You were there [emoji172]

Hibernia&Alba
24-08-2016, 04:21 PM
No way; terrible news. Sam was a Hibs legend; I can't believe it. What a poetic coincidence that he should leave us when Hibs are cup holders, after his 106 year wait. What a life, though. Upsetting news.

He'll always be remembered by Hibs fans.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2016, 04:21 PM
It saddens me to write this but today Sam Martinez has died at the age of 106, I have spoken to his family who have confirmed this.

The last thing I would like to say is that I am delighted he got to witness Hibs win the Scottish Cup and it makes the gesture by Hibs to send him to the match free of charge all the more fitting.

RIP Sam

Sorry to hear this, but what a man and what a life.

Fantastic he was there with the rest of us at Hampden. It was job done for Sam.

We should certainly do a minutes applause, but we would need extra time if it was on the 106th minute. Maybe he deserves more than one minute, as he seemed to have a lot more than just one life.

RIP Sam.

lyonhibs
24-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Simply another reason why this cup win was the greatest ever. Enormously glad he got to see us lift it and I never even met the man.

The Leith Dutch
24-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Very sad news.
A wonderful part of the rich tapestry that is Hibs.
RIP Sam

nickwhibs
RIP Sammy. Lived to a great age.

cabbageandribs1875
very sad to hear this, sam was a lovely man and a gentleman RIP sam and sincere condolences to all his family and close friends, a pleasure to have known him briefly on maud's hawkhill bus

Green Fish
24-08-2016, 04:26 PM
A very sad day. RIP Sam.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
24-08-2016, 04:29 PM
The passing of a real good Hibby and man, what a life he led. Glad he got to see his team win the cup.
RIP Sam.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Heard this a bit earlier today.

Very sad news of course, as almost all deaths are, but Sam lived some life to a great age and got to see us do what so many others didn't.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

The Gorf
24-08-2016, 04:33 PM
So sad to hear this but also so glad that he lived to see Hibs lift the cup.
RIP Sam
GGTTH

SeanWilson
24-08-2016, 04:33 PM
💚 to the Angels high above.

Golden Bear
24-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Now there was a man who certainly did merit his legendary status.

Very sad news, RIP Sam.

bruno
24-08-2016, 04:36 PM
I like many others was captivated by Sams story

He had a good linnings and seemed to have many friends who will miss him

I saw the pic of him with the cup and realised football is a fantastic sport for bringing people together like no other.

Genuinely pleased he took so much pleasure from seeing his team win the cup after following them for so long

RIP

Pete
24-08-2016, 04:37 PM
When it comes to passing on, people often talk about what the best measure of a persons life is. Is it the amount of years you are here or the impression you make regardless of time? Looks like Sam got top marks in both categories and you can't do much more than that.

People who knew him will obviously be sad but personally, it's just "wow". He'll now always be part of the cup legend and this is one of these times where an applause is definitely appropriate instead of a silence.

hibsbollah
24-08-2016, 04:40 PM
We shouldn't be sad. He's had a long and by all accounts happy life. His life story is an integral part of OUR story as a club.

Total legend.

AND An E
24-08-2016, 04:41 PM
He has died a very happy man after 21/05/2016. I hope I pass as happy as he did. RIP Sam.

jax67
24-08-2016, 04:42 PM
RIP Sam, great innings.

Greencore
24-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Rest in peace Sammy, we done it, you saw it. Proud to call you a fellow hibby, God bless.

BroxburnHibee
24-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Sorry to hear this, but what a man and what a life.

Fantastic he was there with the rest of us at Hampden. It was job done for Sam.

We should certainly do a minutes applause, but we would need extra time if it was on the 106th minute. Maybe he deserves more than one minute, as he seemed to have a lot more than just one life.

RIP Sam.

I would hope the club will organise a minutes silence before the game in honour of Sam.

Not the right thread to discuss it maybe just personally feel it's more respectful.

RIP Sam

brog
24-08-2016, 04:45 PM
I like many others was captivated by Sams story

He had a good linnings and seemed to have many friends who will miss him

I saw the pic of him with the cup and realised football is a fantastic sport for bringing people together like no other.

Genuinely pleased he took so much pleasure from seeing his team win the cup after following them for so long

RIP

Nice comment, thank you. Another spirit in the sky along with his big pal, Wattie Robb. Sammy, what a man, what a story. RIP old friend.

The Harp
24-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Sad news indeed about Sam, but what a full life he seems to have had. Delighted that he was here to see his team finally lift the Cup.
God bless him.
Condolences to Sam's family and all who were close to him.

RIP

#FromTheCapital
24-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Despite having never met him, I feel a genuine sadness at this news. Glad that he stayed around for the final in May and was able to enjoy it as much as it seems he did. RIP.

Hibeesmad
24-08-2016, 04:51 PM
When Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, Sam was there.

Cameron1875
24-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Not what I logged onto .Net to see :(

I'm sure Hibs will mark his passing in the correct way. When the Hibs went up to win the Scottish Cup, Sam was there, Sam was there :agree:

R.I.P.

Juice-Terry
24-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Sad news. RIP Sam. GGTTH!

Finn2015
24-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Just seen the news coming in from work. Very sad. Very apt he was there and saw the cup delivers. May he RIP

Oscar T Grouch
24-08-2016, 04:54 PM
RIP Sam. His story was in the EEN a few years back and it was an amazing read. Condolences to his friends and family. I think a minutes silence before the game on Saturday would be appropriate. 😢

Renfrew_Hibby
24-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Black armbands and minutes applause before kick off?

Jones28
24-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Hell of a game Sam, RIP

Onceinawhile
24-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Met him quite a few times when I worked at wester hailes Ladbrokes - an absolute gent and a cracking sense of humour.

Glad he got to see the cup win.

Hope his family are OK at this time.

son of haggart
For all the laughs I've had out of your lack of a cup it is nice to know he saw it before he went, something my dear old uncle Fred never saw, and many others of his generation (Fred would have been about 90 now)

GreenNWhiteArmy
Sad news but a life to be celebrated, not mourned.

When we talk about hibs winning the Scottish Cup in 2016 in years to come, Sam Martinez is a name that will resonate around the world as a truly unique, wonderful, magnificent story. This isn't restricted to hibs fans but many people around the world read Sams story.

It's things like this that for me make Hibernian FC Scottish Cup CHAMPIONS 2016 as the most just and deserved sporting occasion for a very very long time.

RIP Sam. We done it. You saw it. You claimed it. You touched it 💚⚽🏆

Jay
24-08-2016, 04:57 PM
My tin hat is very firmly on here.

Sam deserves more than a minutes applause, a gentleman of his age who had followed hibs for so long deserves a respectful minutes silence before the game and the players to wear black armbands.

This is why i dont like these minutes applause, hibs fans die regularly, a few get a minutes applause and to be fair half the stadium have no clue why they are clapping. What if two or three fans die in the same week? As a woman to clap at the time of my age would turn me in my grave.
We all have stories and have all lost friends and families. I think Hibs should announce that they will do a remembrance minutes clap or silence at the first home game of the new year or last game of the season so we can all remember those we lost whether it be that season or seasons past. Its becoming meaningless imo and i mean absolutely no disrespect to friends or family of those who have had or are planning anything. If people want to continue with it they should but i fear it will die out and less and less people do it which may be hurtful to family members.

Hibs3-2
24-08-2016, 04:57 PM
RIP Sam. What about a minutes applause on the minute which accounts for the number of trophys he's seen hibs win. Would take some working out mind

KSA Hibee
24-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Despite having never met him, I feel a genuine sadness at this news. Glad that he stayed around for the final in May and was able to enjoy it as much as it seems he did. RIP.

What he said ....

RIP Dear fellow Hibee ... If you bump into my Grandad up there please say a big thank you for making me support the same great team that you did too

CraigHibee
24-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Thats a shame, rip Sam, least you got to see us lift the holy grail bud

Last Minute
24-08-2016, 05:00 PM
When Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, Sam was there.

Hope we all sing that on Saturday for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renfrew_Hibby

Sam deserves more than a minutes applause, a gentleman of his age who had followed hibs for so long deserves a respectful minutes silence before the game and the players to wear black armbands.

This is why i dont like these minutes applause, hibs fans die regularly, a few get a minutes applause and to be fair half the stadium have no clue why they are clapping. What if two or three fans die in the same week? As a woman to clap at the time of my age would turn me in my grave.
We all have stories and have all lost friends and families. I think Hibs should announce that they will do a remembrance minutes clap or silence at the first home game of the new year or last game of the season so we can all remember those we lost whether it be that season or seasons past. Its becoming meaningless imo and i mean absolutely no disrespect to friends or family of those who have had or are planning anything. If people want to continue with it they should but i fear it will die out and less and less people do it which may be hurtful to family members.
Good idea

wookie70
Sad news but what an amazing innings. RIP Sam

Pretty Boy
24-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Good idea

It is.

A 'day of rememberance', perhaps with a couple of pages set aside in the programme to print names of loved ones if the family wished, would be a great touch and if done properly would mean something to every single person in the stadium.

I also think a minutes silence is far more appropriate for someone of Sams generation than an applause but that's for his family to decide, whatever they feel is appropriate should be respected.

Mr White
24-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Sad news indeed. Thoughts with Sam's family and friends. What a man. Hibernian legend, RIP.

KSA Hibee
24-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Nice to see that in the grand scheme of things we are all football fans who can show respect when fitting ...

Some proper respect being shown over on kickback for dear Sam.. 👏👏👏👏👏👍👍

MartinfaePorty
24-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Such a shame, but, as others have said, he got to have his day in the sun. With the difficulties around scheduling minute's applause when more than one person dies I agree with an end of season tribute to them all, but possibly also a small section in the official website and match programme, say each month, where those lost can be recognised.

NikGunnarsson
24-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Genuinely sat here with a tear in my eye, having never met the man. A lovely tale and even better knowing he got to see us win the cup. Think a minutes silence would be a great wee mark of respect.

Borderhibbie76
24-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Am so glad he lived to see us lift the Holy Grail and as such will have died a happy Hibee. True hibs legend rip Sam 💚💚💚

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shetlandhibee
24-08-2016, 05:19 PM
R.I.P. sam youll never be forgoten :flag:

Thecat23
24-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Seems to have been written in the starts for our Sam. Waited.... Waited... And waited until finally.... "Henderson to deliver" You done it Sam you seen what you always wanted and now you can rest in peace.

As Hibs fans go, not many will reach a status like you did. 💚

Edit.. I'd like to say as much as we have a go at Kickback there is a thread about Sam on that which I thought was a great touch. Well done lads! 👍🏼

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2016, 05:21 PM
I knew Sammy about 35-40 years ago, a lovely man. I have not seen him at all in that time, and i'm so glad he got to see us win that cup.

RIP Sammy.

geohibby
24-08-2016, 05:22 PM

RIP Sam http://s3.amazonaws.com/tapatalk-emoji/emoji172.png

RIP Sammy boy

BSEJVT
Sad sad news

Delighted he got to see us win the cup

RIP Sam

erin go bragh
Far too many have passed without seeing us lift that trophy .
Sams story was truly remarkable, but his Perseverance paid off . Rip Sam . We did it and you were there to see it .

Risboro Hibby
Had the privilege of travelling on Mrs Mac's Hawkhill bus with him in the early Seventies. Lovely Guy. Always smiling whether we won or lost. RIP Sam.

Dunbar Hibee
24-08-2016, 05:23 PM
RIP, legend.

FranckSuzy
24-08-2016, 05:25 PM
When Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup he was there, he was there. RIP Sammy.

Thank goodness I didn't have to speak after the wee Hibs legend when *he, and I, were presented with St. Patrick's Branch Achievement Awards (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N4KmjwpwA4) last year! Never mind a hard act to follow, I would say it was - and is - an impossible one :not worth

*Sammy is on at 7mins 20secs in.

fat freddy
24-08-2016, 05:26 PM
A picture of Sam with the cup on the front cover of the next programme after Saturday would be a nice way to remember him. Programmes are immortal for collectors. It would guarantee him immortality. RIP Sam

Deansy
24-08-2016, 05:31 PM
All great story's have to end but there's very, very few who'll have a story anywhere near that of Sam Martinez - RIP Sam, will be sorely missed but will never be forgotten !

cabbageandribs1875
24-08-2016, 05:32 PM
A picture of Sam with the cup on the front cover of the next programme after Saturday would be a nice way to remember him. Programmes are immortal for collectors. It would guarantee him immortality. RIP Sam

good shout, it would be the first programme i've bought for over two decades, i also think it would be very apt for a minutes silence before the game v Morton, would need to be a quick decision though as to give Morton Fans as much a heads up as possible

CRAZYHIBBY
24-08-2016, 05:33 PM
R.I.P sam.......at least you finally got to see us lift the scottish

Mick O'Rourke
24-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Glory Glory to Sam Martinez !
A legendary Hibernian.
A fitting tribute would be the naming of a suite at the Holy Ground after this great Hibernian or a plaque/memoriam of some type.
A truly unique man.

When the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, Sam was there !!

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of Sam the Hibernian.

God Bless you Sam.
RIP

FromTheCapital
24-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Song for him on Saturday...

"When the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish cup, Sam was there, same was there"

RIP Sam! His memory marches on

offshorehibby
24-08-2016, 05:37 PM
RIP Sam
Just finishing a meal in London waiting for wife and I got very emotional reading that. So glad he got to see us winning the cup.

Mick O'Rourke
24-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Song for him on Saturday...

"When the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish cup, Sam was there, same was there"

RIP Sam! His memory marches on

The same thought went through my mind after posting
A bumper crowd on Saturday would also be a fine tribute to Sam.

Hibernia&Alba
24-08-2016, 05:46 PM
When Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup he was there, he was there. RIP Sammy.

Thank goodness I didn't have to speak after the wee Hibs legend when *he, and I, were presented with St. Patrick's Branch Achievement Awards (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N4KmjwpwA4) last year! Never mind a hard act to follow, I would say it was - and is - an impossible one :not worth

:not worth

Tear to a glass eye: ''I hope I'll be here to see it'' [cup win] . Indeed he was.

Humo
24-08-2016, 05:47 PM
R.I.P Sammy your memory marches on

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Would rather have a minutes (or preferably more) applause for Sam, than a minutes silence. As reported elsewhere, there are a few real bitter and confused little sad cases from across the way, who have taken to sitting with the opposition fans.

Happy to take their cash, and have their help getting away fans pumped up so it encourages us to be more vocal.

However, those desperate losers are determined to make a name for themselves and a minutes silence is set up to be abused, so no.

NAE NOOKIE
24-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Its almost like he refused to give in to the grim reaper because he had unfinished business, business done now so its ok to move on ... # Persevered :aok:

Without doubt Sam's amazing story made him part of the fabric of Hibs history and it would be fitting if the players wore black armbands on Saturday in tribute to him and a minutes silence or applause was held, in a way he represented all of us.

RIP Mr Martinez

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2016, 06:01 PM
I would have every Hibs player with Martinez on their shirts on Saturday instead of their own names. RIP Mr Martinez.

Northern Hibby
24-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Like lots of others I never met him but knew his story well, very sad, thoughts go to all his family 😔

Do we still do black armbands, along with applause and a very loud rendition of

🎶 when Hibs went up to lift the Scottish cup Sam there 🎶

Edit: Minutes silence far more appropriate for Sam.

The Kaiser
24-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Rip Sam. Hope hibs have a fitting tribute

Capt Mainwaring
24-08-2016, 06:13 PM
God bless you Sam . Rest in peace

crewetollhibee
24-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Simply another reason why this cup win was the greatest ever. Enormously glad he got to see us lift it and I never even met the man.

This, completely.

Alex Trager
24-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Feel delighted he, and all those who have since passed, seen it.

For sammy I am extremely happy. He was always in the back of my mind when we reached the cup finals.

Sleep well mate.

'For the cup'

stoneyburn hibs
24-08-2016, 06:22 PM
RIP Sammy, you persevered and seen us lift the Scottish cup.

Mr_F
24-08-2016, 06:24 PM
He perservered more than anyone... RIP Sammy

Craig_in_Prague
24-08-2016, 06:35 PM
RIP dear Sam, so happy for you that you witnessed 21st May 2016, god bless.

Hibee87
24-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Rip Sam #persevered

I love the story how he became a hibs fan, followed a crowd because he thought there was a riot or protest or somethin. Ended up being hibs fan going to the game and someone gave him a ticket. It was love at. First sight

Baader
24-08-2016, 06:42 PM
An incredible innings for a real Hibs hero. So fitting you got to see us finally lift the Cup.

RIP Sammy

Jonnyboy
24-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Like others, I first met Sammy when we travelled on Maude's Hawkhill Branch bus. He was a lovely man with a captivating smile and a wicked sense of humour.

The fact that he witnessed the winning of the Holy Grail is of some comfort because if any of us deserved that, it was him.

RIP Sammy

Fergos
24-08-2016, 06:46 PM
They don't make them like that anymore.

Condolences to all Sams friends and family.

RIP Sam.

AltheHibby
24-08-2016, 06:46 PM
RIP Sam. It's not often I shed tears for someone I didn't personally know, but it's happening right now. Sam was part of what made winning the cup so special.

sleeping giant
24-08-2016, 06:48 PM
RIP Sammy.

My Dad knew him and I remember meeting him when I was wee. I just remember his big beaming smile.

Big L
24-08-2016, 07:09 PM
What an innings! RIP Sam.

BarneyHibby
24-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Sad news... RIP Sam.

trev the hat
24-08-2016, 07:15 PM
God Bless You Sam !!

"He's one of our own" Sam Martinez "He's one of our own

24-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Sad news indeed. So glad he finally got to see hibs win the Scottish Cup though. It was like he felt his mission was now complete!

Rest in peace Sam x

Alex Trager
24-08-2016, 07:24 PM
When the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish cup Sam was there.

Let us belt this out on satirday

Eyrie
24-08-2016, 07:31 PM
By all accounts he was a wonderful man, and my first reaction to hearing that he had died was to be pleased that he had seen us win the Scottish Cup.

RIP.

capitals_finest
24-08-2016, 07:49 PM
RIP Sam.

I never had the honour of meeting the great man but he was often in my thoughts. A man of this calibre makes you proud to be part of the Hibs Family. So glad he got to see us lift the Scottish Cup.

BullsCloseHibs
24-08-2016, 07:51 PM
RIP Sam.

GGTTH

southsider
24-08-2016, 07:57 PM
I would hope the club will organise a minutes silence before the game in honour of Sam.

Not the right thread to discuss it maybe just personally feel it's more respectful.

RIP Sam
I was going to post same. At 106 can't people stay silent for 60 seconds. RIP Sammy. You saw us win the cup. You will be always remembered. God bless.

TrinityHibs
24-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Could have done without that news tonight. Sadness and happiness combined. Yet one more reason why May was so important. A tribute on Saturday is essential. Condolences to family and friends.

The Pointer
24-08-2016, 08:22 PM
I really am terribly sad to hear this.

I'd followed his news on here and in the press for the last few years and he was such a delightful old soul when I heard him on the radio that I feel a minutes silence will be more appropriate, dignified and a better way for us all to think of him. He'd become an intrinsic and vital part of the wider club the older he got.

When I found out that he'd been at the Cup Final I was overjoyed that he'd made it and somehow sensed that time may be up for him.

Glory, glory Sam Martinez!

Sir David Gray
24-08-2016, 08:25 PM
So pleased that he got to see us lift the cup before he went.

I saw him at the end of the match and he just looked so happy.

R.I.P. Sammy

Bobo
24-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Sad news, RIP Sam.

mjhibby
24-08-2016, 08:35 PM
I,like many many hibbies wanted promotion over winning the holy grail but if I didn't know just what a momentous day may 21st was todays sad news simply emphasises it was a once in a lifetime occasion. Sam seemed a unique character and is part of the amazing history of our club.
R.I.P.

Ergye
24-08-2016, 08:50 PM
How happy his last few months must have been.
Great story.
Sammy. :flag:

IWasThere2016
24-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Rest In Peace Sammy.

Ronniekirk
24-08-2016, 09:37 PM
My thoughts are with his family But like a lot of people have already posted i am really glad he finally saw his beloved Hibs win the Holy Grail and that the club made him a V I P
If that was his last game what a final hibs memory
Everyone knows Sams story which is testament to his passion for the Club
Am sure the club will talk to the family ,and do him proud in whatever way its agreed to mark his passing
Did the Captain not single out sam at the end of the match dedicating the win to him ?

Captain Trips
24-08-2016, 09:40 PM
RIP Sam. Great he made the final. Bet he went on the pitch and swung on the goalposts.

Scott Allan Key
24-08-2016, 09:49 PM
The joy we all felt at the cup win was such an epiphany, it's a good way to go, being happy. RIP Sam Martinez. A minutes silence followed by 'when Hibs went up to lift th Scottish Cup, Sam was the there' would be electric. As his soul lingers before its final rest, it'd be a loving tribute to someone who epitomises this clubs history.

Galahibby
24-08-2016, 09:50 PM
I, like some others commenting here, didn't have the pleasure of knowing Sam personally, but I don't think there can be a football fan anywhere - not just Hibbies - who wouldn't have been touched by his story and his passion for both his team and his adopted homeland. If any of his family are reading this, my thoughts are with you all today. He seemed like a proper character, loved by all those who knew him... and a fair number of us who didn't! Rest in peace Sam; I'm so chuffed our boys managed to give you that day in May 💚 x

Kato
24-08-2016, 09:52 PM
The Angels High Above.

RIP Sam

tigerted
24-08-2016, 09:59 PM
He was an honourary member of the St. Patrick's Branch and much loved by us all. Indeed it was only last year that he was the recipient of the Branch's Annual "Achievement Award".

You can fnd out more on Sam here:

http://www.stpats.club/sam-martinez-st-patricks-award-winner-rip/

:flag::hibees

The Spaceman
24-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Rest in peace Sam. Always a heartwarming read whenever he spoke of Hibs, so glad he finally got to see us lift the Holy Grail.

Now enjoy yourself up there :not worth

lyonhibs
24-08-2016, 10:09 PM

If you'll excuse me, I appear to have something in both of my eyes simultaneously.

Wonderful video, a wonderful man by all accounts.

Northernhibee
24-08-2016, 10:11 PM
When you think of the hundreds of thousands of different people to have passed through the turnstiles at ER in his lifetime he was one of the priviledged minority to be able to say that they were there.

monktonharp
24-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Very sad news.
A wonderful part of the rich tapestry that is Hibs.
RIP Samthis. a fine old man he was. R.I.P Sam.

StevieCowan
24-08-2016, 10:23 PM
I'm sure that Jason will mark his passing in an appropriate way (hat trick on Sat)as its his aunt who is married to Sam's son.

Stantons Angel
24-08-2016, 10:25 PM
like everyone else that has written on this post i am very sad to hear about Sam passing. like everyone im so glad he got to see Hibs lifting the SCOTTISH CUP

Sam used to travel on the Hawkhill bus with me many many moons ago. He was even at Wembley with us to see Scotland getting the usual thumping from England. The tales he used to tell sound today so far fetched but i can vouch for his memory of them.

over the years Sam has continually popped up in my life and every time i met him his smile lit up the room. He and his wife brought up their family together and they both worked so hard for them. They were their lives, their family and their families too.

Sammy always had a hug for you and a special word of friendship to you everytime he met up with me and my son.
Sam im sure never remembered my name, but when i mentioned travelling on the Hawkhill bus with Maude his eyes would light up and we would chat for ages about the times we had travelling with Maude. if any of you knew her you would know she was some woman!

He was a lovely man and a great Hibs supporter and i am really pleased he managed to get through to see the final. CThere are a lot gone before him that were not lucky enough to be there in May 2016 but he was.

God rest your soul pal, i am proud to have been able to call you my friend.

RIP Sammy GGTTH xx

kaimendhibs
24-08-2016, 10:58 PM
RIP Sam. Wish i had the pleasure of meeting you but feel i know you through all your lovely tributes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just Jimmy
24-08-2016, 11:05 PM
A real Hibernian Legend. Sleep well Sam. You were there and always will be.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hibby6270
24-08-2016, 11:09 PM

Tin hat well and truly on here as well but I can't help but fully agree with the above. So, lighting blue touch paper and retreating fast before the backlash.

Absolutely no disrespect to those who have passed or to the families close to them. Events of the last few days now leave us as fans/the club with a dilemma this Saturday and this possibly brings home the fact that a minutes applause for every Hibs fan who dies becomes less meaningful and almost to the point of being farcical if we need to remember all of the following at various times in the game because they have passed on since the last home game.

In order of being announced on .Net -
1. Joe Davis - captain of Hibs during mid to late 60's
2. Lesley Ann - the 47 year old who died suddenly at the weekend
3. Sam Martinez - subject of this thread
4. Alan Melville - guy who took ill at Falkirk, passed away today as per another thread

All of them equally deserving of some form of remembrance no doubt but how do you recognise it. Individually during a game? That's where the "making it meaningless" comment comes in.
Collectively before the kick off? Possibly and makes it equally as important to all concerned
Some other way? An announcement in the match programme has been mentioned.

Personally I'd opt for the last option for fans and ax I've said in previous threads on this subject, the minutes applause/silence should be reserved for ex players/managers/officials of the club.

As I said at the start of reply, I'm not saying thus from a cynical viewpoint. I too have lost a close family member in the last fortnight and fully appreciate the sadness it brings but it still doesn't detract from the point of the argument on how far should we, as supporters, take the minutes applause phenomenon on every occasion we hear of a fans death.

Highland_Hibee
24-08-2016, 11:46 PM
I did not know the man but I am moved by all the stories I have read and it appears Sam lived life as I wish to. Full of health, full of happiness and full of HIBS!

I really hope to join in for a rendition of "When the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, Sam was there, Sam was there!" on Saturday.

R.I.P. fella, what an innings.

AdidasHibernian
25-08-2016, 12:42 AM
Forever I'll be Signing, To the Angels high above.

You're memory truly marches on sir.

When Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, Sam was there!
21/5/16

RIP
Hibernian Legend

💚🏆💚🏆💚🏆💚🏆💚🏆💚

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2016, 01:12 AM
A truly lovely man and a truly lovely story.
Bless him and his family.
:flag::flag:

HTD1875
25-08-2016, 01:32 AM
Sam Martinez - "The Happiest man in Hampden"

RIP

...WentToMowAnSPL
25-08-2016, 01:39 AM
I'm really gutted about this. Found myself crying in Houston... ##GGTTH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Big90inOz
25-08-2016, 05:57 AM
My first recollection of Sam would have been about 39 yrs ago, always remember him with a smile on his face. I was very happy that his long wait to see us lift the cup finally came true for him after all those years.

RIP Sam, I hope the fans on Saturday give you a rousing send off.

Weststandwanab
25-08-2016, 06:42 AM
I was very sad to read this a few minutes ago.

I never met the man but always read everything about his Uber Fan when it was published.

R.I.P.your spirit lives on.

LustForLeith
25-08-2016, 06:43 AM
RIP Sam

Minutes silence before the game, three points after and the league title at the end of the season.

Won't do anything to bring Sam and other departed Hibs fans back but would go some way to being a fitting tribute

JimBHibees
25-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Sad news but wow what a life he appears to have led and seemed to have an amazing spirit even after his hundredth year. Great that he was able to see us win the cup. One of a kind.:not worth

RIP Sam

Ardenttwo
25-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Black armbands and minutes applause before kick off?

Would it be prudent to contact his family to see what us Hibees can do to honor this great man. I suspect the club will do something but us fans must do something also It's maybe too late for the wall at the East Stand but a small headstone might be acceptable

Roxyhibee
25-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Great footage - thanks for this. Sam really was an inspiring legend and he's in good company with you, Alan and Sir Pat and what you do for our great club.

What an incredible life the man had - would love to read a book about it.

The Green Goblin
25-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Rest in peace, Sam.

jacomo
25-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear our oldest fan is no longer with us. He seemed like a terrific guy.

surreyhibbie
25-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Some nice comments on Kickback as well.

wish I had met him

RIP Sam

vincipernoi
25-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Some nice comments on Kickback as well.

wish I had met him

RIP Sam

Almost uniquely, and to their credit, there isn't a remotely negative comment on the whole kickback thread

RIP Sam

J-C
25-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Sad to here but so glad he got to witness Hibs get the cup before his passing, reached a cracking old age as well, he had a good kick at the baw so to speak.

JimBHibees
25-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Almost uniquely, and to their credit, there isn't a remotely negative comment on the whole kickback thread

RIP Sam

Same with the Hibs twitter page notice about Sam loads of great comments from fans of all clubs. Good to see.

AltheHibby
25-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Even today's Times has his photo and a few words on page 28.

mutley
25-08-2016, 11:30 AM
BBC even running with the story
Hibs oldest supporter Sam Martinez dies at 106
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-37184669

emerald green
25-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Brilliant that Sam Martinez got to see his beloved Hibs finally win the Scottish Cup, having lived to such a great age. RIP.

Good also to see kind comments from supporters of Hearts, and other clubs, on various social media.

Iggy Pope
25-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Farewell to a Hawkhill old boy that was older than most. Rest in Peace Sammy.

NZ Green
25-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Love the story of him following the crowd to Easter Road and someone just giving him a free ticket, a small, random act of kindness that changed his life. Very fitting that his last game was free too, and a perfect end to his Hibernian story! Legend, RIP.

s.a.m
25-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Radio Forth News ‏@RadioForthNews 20s20 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/RadioForthNews/status/768816835433209856) Scotland, United Kingdom (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A0af014accd6f6e99) Hibs players will wear black armbands this Saturday6 in tribute to their oldest fan Sam Martinez, who's died at the age of 106.

jacomo
25-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Radio Forth News ‏@RadioForthNews 20s20 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/RadioForthNews/status/768816835433209856) Scotland, United Kingdom (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A0af014accd6f6e99) Hibs players will wear black armbands this Saturday6 in tribute to their oldest fan Sam Martinez, who's died at the age of 106.

Absolutely appropriate in this case I think.

Of course, he was just a supporter at the end of the day, but so many of us knew of him and his story.

I'm sure supporters will use the moment to remember other Hibbys who have left us this year.

essexhibee
25-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Touch of class that thread on Kickback has to be said. :agree: Some very nice comments.

106 is an incredible number of years to have lived. Sounds a wonderful man by all accounts and so please he got to see us lift the old girl before he passed. Sleep tight Sam :aok:

Billy McKirdy
25-08-2016, 03:35 PM
I never spoke to Sam but I remember seeing him with his old man's overcoat and bunnet standing at the top of the old east terrace when I started going to games as a young boy, that would have been 38 years ago and Sam would have been in his mid 60s then.
His story is a remarkable journey and I was as delighted as every other Hibs fan for him when we won the cup in May.
RIP Sam, your legendary status is assured.

Andy74
25-08-2016, 03:37 PM

Good piece in the Evening News with Lennon talking about him. hopefully the Daily Record stay away from the line about encouraging his carer onto the pitch at the end! :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
25-08-2016, 05:27 PM
It would be a nice gesture to put a wee tribute on the official site.

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Love the story of him following the crowd to Easter Road and someone just giving him a free ticket, a small, random act of kindness that changed his life. Very fitting that his last game was free too, and a perfect end to his Hibernian story! Legend, RIP.

I bet that all those years ago when he stepped off that boat not knowing anybody and probably freezing his nads off he would have laughed his arse off if he had been told he would make it to 106 years old and 15,000 people in the city he made his home would happily stand in a minutes silence to mark his passing .... a tribute to what a man he must have been and one of the beauties of being part of the fitba community :greengrin

heretoday
25-08-2016, 06:08 PM
I wonder who the oldest Hibby is now that Sam has passed away.

Bostonhibby
25-08-2016, 06:12 PM
I bet that all those years ago when he stepped off that boat not knowing anybody and probably freezing his nads off he would have laughed his arse off if he had been told he would make it to 106 years old and 15,000 people in the city he made his home would happily stand in a minutes silence to mark his passing .... a tribute to what a man he must have been and one of the beauties of being part of the fitba community :greengrin

:agree::applause:

rcarter1
25-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Very sad loss, but what an innings! A legend, always a joy to hear about him.
RIP Sam.

Callyballybe
25-08-2016, 08:21 PM
RIP to Sam. Very sad to hear the news. Thoughts are with his family and friends. Means all the more now, us winning it when we did.

hibee-boys
25-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Sam is just one of many Hibs fans we seem to have lost off late, although very sad it puts a great big smile on my face to know those who left us after May got to see up lift the cup!

Phil MaGlass
25-08-2016, 10:09 PM
This is the third time I have read this thread and the third time I have a wee tear in my eye,
I´m not one for tears, but I have been touched with the messages not only on here but other sites, kickback, Edinburgh news etc, etc....
The condollances from other clubs fans and the affection in which he is/was held in bears testament to how much of a good guy he was.

Every year was the same, you would see his wee smiley face being interviewed in a number of papers before our inevitable cup upset. Every year a different story of how he managed to get back from certain grounds after missing the bus or train, or how he actually came to the country, how he made it to his first Hibs game.

I am so happy he was able to see us lift the cup. I find it amazing how someone you have never met can have such an effect on you.

Recently, we have had our share of supporters passing away, every one of them good supporters and the way our club and fans rally in times of sorrow makes me proud to be a Hibs supporter.

My condollances to Sams family and any other member of The Hibees Family who have recently lost loved ones.

Pretty Boy
26-08-2016, 09:24 AM
FIFA have just posted a very nice piece about Sam on their Instagram account.

FranckSuzy
26-08-2016, 09:42 AM
FIFA have just posted a very nice piece about Sam on their Instagram account.

:agree: :top marks

jacomo
26-08-2016, 02:08 PM
:agree: :top marks

:thumbsup:

LustForLeith
26-08-2016, 05:03 PM
I hope any Hearts fans who may be in the Morton end behave during the minutes silence.

Ilovehibs
26-08-2016, 09:35 PM
I hope any Hearts fans who may be in the Morton end behave during the minutes silence.

If they don't, we should completely ignore them and maintain our respectful silence. Show them up as the little runts they are. Hopefully it won't happen.
RIP Sammy. You are a hibernian legend.
Your memory will always march on.

jacomo
26-08-2016, 10:16 PM

Tbf our neighbours seem to have very respectful thus far.

Onceinawhile
26-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Tbf our neighbours seem to have very respectful thus far.

Of course they have been. They are humans too despite the nonsenses peddled on this board.

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Of course they have been. They are humans too despite the nonsenses peddled on this board.

Aye ... chill yer arse mate, the respect thing cuts both ways and I've seen similar on this board for respected Jambos who have passed on, its the right thing to do and at these times both sets of fans set aside the vitriol for common decency ... but don't lets start pretending that the abuse thrown out in normal circumstances by Hibbies is any worse than what is aimed in our direction on Jumbo sickbag.

Apologies to the thread for having to say that ... but in the light of that post it needed saying.

monktonharp
26-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Aye ... chill yer arse mate, the respect thing cuts both ways and I've seen similar on this board for respected Jambos who have passed on, its the right thing to do and at these times both sets of fans set aside the vitriol for common decency ... but don't lets start pretending that the abuse thrown out in normal circumstances by Hibbies is any worse than what is aimed in our direction on Jumbo sickbag.

Apologies to the thread for having to say that ... but in the light of that post it needed saying.and well said it wiz.

DaveF
27-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on this thread but I was browsing the cup final Images and Videos thread (as you do :greengrin) and this 5 minute clip of the french dudes commentary has a couple of remarks about Sam Martinez in it.

https://youtu.be/L_UGGlEygtc

No big deal but a nice touch from them at the time.