PDA

View Full Version : A Scottish cup final to compare to our last one

monktonharp
23-08-2016, 11:57 PM
I immediately refer to the Family final, which I watched over 25 years ago and often refered to as the best ever. That changed obviously, on the 21st of May 2016 . Nevertheless I always think it was indeed a classic. Just watched some clips, for the first time since it happened but I have also just realised that at least 3 Hibernian players (or became) were involved in the match. added to that, there were some really class players like Davie Cooper, Tom Boyd Phil O'Donnell, Stevie Kirk and the Goalie Ally Maxwell who carried a serious injury through most of the match yet finished the game. the 2 Managers, being brothers had also just lost their Faither, on the Tuesday before the event. 2 totally different characters yet committed to their respective clubs and turned out on the day. that match had everything, and then some with the extra time to follow. 4-3 is a great spectacle, almost as good as 3-2 :greengrin seriously though it will always be in my mind as a classic. 2nd in the queue though. ex-Hibernian players......John O'Neill and Darren Jackson(D..Utd) also Craig Patterson (Motherwell)any others?

NAE NOOKIE
24-08-2016, 12:32 AM
I immediately refer to the Family final, which I watched over 25 years ago and often refered to as the best ever. That changed obviously, on the 21st of May 2016 . Nevertheless I always think it was indeed a classic. Just watched some clips, for the first time since it happened but I have also just realised that at least 3 Hibernian players (or became) were involved in the match. added to that, there were some really class players like Davie Cooper, Tom Boyd Phil O'Donnell, Stevie Kirk and the Goalie Ally Maxwell who carried a serious injury through most of the match yet finished the game. the 2 Managers, being brothers had also just lost their Faither, on the Tuesday before the event. 2 totally different characters yet committed to their respective clubs and turned out on the day. that match had everything, and then some with the extra time to follow. 4-3 is a great spectacle, almost as good as 3-2 :greengrin seriously though it will always be in my mind as a classic. 2nd in the queue though. ex-Hibernian players......John O'Neill and Darren Jackson(D..Utd) also Craig Patterson (Motherwell)any others?

It was a great game ..... I had it on video for many years and even used to watch it from time to time, everything that was / is good about our game and proof that you don't need superstars to put on a classic, not a weegie in sight either. The 21/05/16 final is probably the best one for drama since that one from a neutral point of view I would guess.

monktonharp
24-08-2016, 01:06 AM
I have never seen the full game, other than the day it was played and only commented about it because it was on one of the youtube clips re-our last final. was a great game though, and my auld uncle who lives a mile away in East EDIN, and his brother are both big 'Well fans coming through this way when 17 year olds. he always offered me a glimpse of his photies, when they won the cup:greengrin I've started taking out photies doon to his hoose:greengrin

Smartie
24-08-2016, 07:30 AM
I was at the game, as a young 13 year old.

It was quite early on in United's "arabs" era and a lot of them had quite elaborate headgear on.

I was on the old Jock Stein terrace which might have been a neutral area but I only remember United fans.

They were devastated because they thought they'd won the cup at certain points, they certainly did enough to win the cup. But for all our 114 year wait was long they'd still never won if at that point in spite of being in a few finals.

Although they only needed to wait another 3 years.

I went to some incredible cup finals around that time. Aberdeen v Rangers league cup finals 3-3 and penalties then 3-2 Aberdeen the next (?) year. Then the terrible Aberdeen Celtic game that went to penalties.

Whilst it was (is) pretty pish, a full(ish) Hampden with all those folk standing was pretty special.

wazoo1875
24-08-2016, 08:07 AM

I was at this game and it was a classic, unfortunately I was in the Utd end and my team for the day was sadly beaten. I was also at the league cup final that season in October 90, an old firm one. Not in any way shape or form a classic but an experience nonetheless. Alas I was in the Celtic end of the main stand and they too were pumped. Wasn't until the October of 91 when I got to fully enjoy a cup final at last.

stantonhibby
24-08-2016, 09:06 AM
The QoS v Oldco final was pretty good as it looked like Queens might just do it. Finished 3-2 but the wrong way unfortunately.

CropleyWasGod
24-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Celtic 2 Rangers 3 in 73. Tom Forsyth scored the winner from 6 inches.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
24-08-2016, 01:41 PM
The old rangers winning 3-2 against Celtic in 2002 with Lovenkrands scoring in the last minute was a interesting game.

JoJo_07
24-08-2016, 02:08 PM
After somebody told me about this at the weekend I have just followed the "action" via Pie and Bovril forum. Definitely worth viewing: -

LINK HERE (http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/230331-2016-scottish-cup-final-hibernian-fc-v-rangers/)

Game starts on page 50. Finishes around 90.

Lots of fans from other clubs saying hadn't enjoyed a game as much since their own team won it. Enjoy :scarf:

Stevie Reid
24-08-2016, 03:14 PM
I remember the family cup final as I was in Berwick for the weekend, and the FA Cup Final was on instead. Initially I was delighted as not only had the previous Scottish Cup Final had been a total bore-athon, with Aberdeen winning 9-8 on pens after a 0-0 draw, the 1990 FA Cup Final was a 3-3 draw between Man Utd and Crystal Palace - in addition, there had hardly been any goals in the previous four Scottish Cup Finals (0-0, 1-0, 2-1, 1-0), whilst the corresponding FA Cup Finals had finished 3-3, 3-2, 1-0 (with Wimbledon providing the major shock) and 3-2. So whilst I did think the Motherwell v Dundee Utd game would be decent entertainment, the FA Cup Final seemed the much more attractive proposition.

However, whilst the game was notable for Gazza's dreadful tackles that should have seen him sent off - and did see him carried off with that injury - the game was obviously nothing on the Scottish final.

Just Jimmy
24-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Steve kirk was a mate of my old man's from school days and lived about 5 doors along from us where i grew up. Top top bloke.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Smartie
24-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Steve kirk was a mate of my old man's from school days and lived about 5 doors along from us where i grew up. Top top bloke.

Did he not absolutely hammer a ball into the crowd at Tynecastle, smacking someone full in the coupon and injuring them?

Edit - found this. http://www.hearts.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=106448

You have to laugh at the guy talking about the "black arts" of football and mentioning Walter Kidd in the same paragraph without any sense of irony.

Steve Kirk appears to have been a top bloke indeed.

Just Jimmy
24-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Did he not absolutely hammer a ball into the crowd at Tynecastle, smacking someone full in the coupon and injuring them?

Edit - found this. http://http://www.hearts.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=106448

You have to laugh at the guy talking about the "black arts" of football and mentioning Walter Kidd in the same paragraph without any sense of irony.

Steve Kirk appears to have been a top bloke indeed.
That link doesn't work.

Regardless, I don't remember much of his playing career, although he was voted Well's greatest player and is fondly remembered. However, I only knew the guy away from football and in that capacity he was indeed a top bloke.

Smartie
24-08-2016, 03:37 PM
That link doesn't work.

Regardless, I don't remember much of his playing career, although he was voted Well's greatest player and is fondly remembered. However, I only knew the guy away from football and in that capacity he was indeed a top bloke.

Edited it, so it should work now.

He managed to get a mention on a Hearts fans' site under the heading "players we hated" which means he must be all right.

Just Jimmy
24-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Edited it, so it should work now.

He managed to get a mention on a Hearts fans' site under the heading "players we hated" which means he must be all right.
Ha. What a bitter and twisted article.

He got wayne foster sent off and and conned the ref into giving a penalty against the team who wrote the book of dodgy penalties.

Maybe he's a hibby deep down?

FranckSuzy
25-08-2016, 10:58 PM
After somebody told me about this at the weekend I have just followed the "action" via Pie and Bovril forum. Definitely worth viewing: -

LINK HERE (http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/230331-2016-scottish-cup-final-hibernian-fc-v-rangers/)

Game starts on page 50. Finishes around 90.

Lots of fans from other clubs saying hadn't enjoyed a game as much since their own team won it. Enjoy :scarf:

That was a brilliant (if long!) read :thumbsup:

Pathetic The The Rangers fan: "We Are The People".

Aberdeen fan: "Maybe so, but Hibs Are The Cup Winners" :not worth

Leith's finest
26-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Im sure kirk kicked the ball into the crowd and it hit a kid and hit him/her on the face, the yams were saying he hit it at force for no reason

Northernhibee
26-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Just watched the "Hibs thugs goad Rangers fans" video for the first time. Seems that a few numpties from our end are giving the occasional GIRUY gesture and one gives it the ****er gesture. Doesn't really stack up all their sectarian singing, does it?

Their hurt in regards to losing a cup final to us is amusing. 21st of May was euphoric, untopped and an al time classic cup final - the aftermath of their hurting has made it even sweeter. Perfect day, can't think of a cup final to top it.