PDA

View Full Version : The not so unflappable Craig Thomson?

Golden Bear
23-08-2016, 07:46 AM
I read this in the BBC Football Gossip column:-

"Fuming" referee Craig Thomson refused to co-operate with broadcaster BT Sport on Saturday and started the second half of St Johnstone's home game against Celtic a minute early, clashing with commercial breaks. Thomson is thought to have been angered by criticism of him made on the channel by pundit Chris Sutton.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but can anyone throw any light on this? If its true, surely disciplinary action should be instigated against the mighty Craig?

lucky
23-08-2016, 07:55 AM
He should be hammered by the SFA/SPLF as petty actions like this damage our game a lot more than the Hampden "riot"

hibeeleicester
23-08-2016, 07:58 AM

"Fuming" referee Craig Thomson refused to co-operate with broadcaster BT Sport on Saturday and started the second half of St Johnstone's home game against Celtic a minute early, clashing with commercial breaks. Thomson is thought to have been angered by criticism of him made on the channel by pundit Chris Sutton.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but can anyone throw any light on this? If its true, surely disciplinary action should be instigated against the mighty Craig?

Tin hat on, but good on him.

**** the TV companies, they basically tell us what our KO times are these days. He is the referee, he decides when the game will be restarted.:agree:

Golden Bear
23-08-2016, 08:01 AM
He should be hammered by the SFA/SPLF as petty actions like this damage our game a lot more than the Hampden "riot"

I agree, its a case of no smoke without fire but might be difficult to prove. However, wouldn't it be brilliant to see that egotistic balloon of a man suspended by the beaks for a couple of games?

Saint Hibee
23-08-2016, 08:04 AM

**** the TV companies, they basically tell us what our KO times are these days. He is the referee, he decides when the game will be restarted.:agree:

I agree. Don't like the man, but hate the way tv has messed up our game even more.

steve75
23-08-2016, 08:06 AM
I agree. Don't like the man, but hate the way tv has messed up our game even more.

TV hasn't done anything to our game. We can say no to the deal if we like.

dalkeith stu
23-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Yet more evidence of him think he is the one everyone is there to see. Egotistical pr*ck!!

pacoluna
23-08-2016, 08:14 AM

And our game sign up to the terms and conditions when agreeing deals with broadcasters.

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Just about sums the cheat up. Incredible he can think he has the power to do that. I am assuming he wasnt happy that Sutton had a pop at him refusing to send off Forrester the week before which quite simply and most honest referees would admit was an atrocious decision. Actually like the way Sutton issnt afraid to call it as he sees it and he left Muir nameless after the penalty decision last season. Assume Thompson isnt happy that Howard Webb said he was wrong also.

Golden Bear
23-08-2016, 08:19 AM

It wasn't the TV Channel that appears to have offended the great man but more a pundit on the program.

In any case, I'm not sure if The Ref should be allowed access to a TV at half time in case what he has seen could bear an influence on decisions he might make in the second half - although that's a different argument!

patlowe
23-08-2016, 08:20 AM
If only he had shown such bravery when Forrester made his 39th bookable offence against Dundee...

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 08:20 AM
It wasn't the TV Channel that appears to have offended the great man but more a pundit on the program.

In any case, I'm not sure if The Ref should be allowed access to a TV at half time in case what he has seen could bear an influence on decisions he might make in the second half - although that's a different argument!

Agree with that dont think they should be able to watch as every chance of trying to even things up.

Winston Ingram
23-08-2016, 08:22 AM
Hope they suspend him. Always been a spiteful prick. Gets away with it time and time again on the pitch and hopefully, this time, he's taken a step too far.

Since90+2
23-08-2016, 08:24 AM
The man obviously thinks he is more powerful and important than he actually is. Hopefully he faces some form of disciplinary action for this.

Can you imagine this happening in the Premier League or La Liga? "Ehh we have missed the first minute of the second half as the ref coudn't be arsed to wait for the ad breaks to finish".

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 08:28 AM
The man obviously thinks he is more powerful and important than he actually is. Hopefully he faces some form of disciplinary action for this.

Can you imagine this happening in the Premier League or La Liga? "Ehh we have missed the first minute of the second half as the ref coudn't be arsed to wait for the ad breaks to finish".

Yep ridiculous self importance and an appalling ref.

Onceinawhile
23-08-2016, 08:31 AM
If he started the game after a 15 minute break then he's quite right to tell bt sport to gtf. How were they even in contact with him?

If however, he restarted the game after 14 minutes of a half time break he's in the wrong and should be punished.

O'Rourke3
23-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Not a big fan of CT but more likely he or his assistants were bombarded with texts and messages from friends or colleagues. I suspect they don't have time to watch highlights and wouldn't have the thing on.

Matty_Jack04
23-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Hate to attempt to stick up for the rat bag, but it feels to me he's getting hung out to dry to make it seem like anyone gives a s*** what Chris Sutton has to say, a member of the BT Sports production team tells the ref when it's time to lead the teams out and also tells the fourth official to radio the ref when its time to go if there's been a mistake I'd bet it's been at their end as much as I despise CT I'd doubt he would make such a fool of himself or make himself an easy target for the Weegie hordes by doing something this petty.

Matty_Jack04
23-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Not a big fan of CT but more likely he or his assistants were bombarded with texts and messages from friends or colleagues. I suspect they don't have time to watch highlights and wouldn't have the thing on.

Think the comments on CT where in suttons column the previous week

O'Rourke3
23-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Think the comments on CT where in suttons column the previous week
I watched a bit of the first half and half time. Freely using the word incompetent

Sent via the bushes @ EM

JeMeSouviens
23-08-2016, 08:59 AM
If only he had shown such bravery when Forrester made his 39th bookable offence against Dundee...

I think that was the root of it. Sutton had accused him of bottling out of sending Forrester off.

Salt N Sauzee
23-08-2016, 09:01 AM

Hibsed it eh

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 09:05 AM

I would be amazed if refs or assistants had their phones on at half time when reffing a game.

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Hate to attempt to stick up for the rat bag, but it feels to me he's getting hung out to dry to make it seem like anyone gives a s*** what Chris Sutton has to say, a member of the BT Sports production team tells the ref when it's time to lead the teams out and also tells the fourth official to radio the ref when its time to go if there's been a mistake I'd bet it's been at their end as much as I despise CT I'd doubt he would make such a fool of himself or make himself an easy target for the Weegie hordes by doing something this petty.

He is the dictionary definition of petty?

brog
23-08-2016, 09:07 AM
We may not like the TV deal we have but that's what it is & unfortunately we have to honour it. Kicking off early as a petty gesture by a petty referee only further lowers the perspective of Scottish football. I don't like Sutton but he was 100% correct, CT should have sent Forrester off & if he'd played for anyone other than 1 of the uglies he would have had a red. The only good thing in this fiasco is it shows CT up for what we've known for years, as an arrogant, incompetent p****!

Danderhall Hibs
23-08-2016, 09:24 AM
I would be amazed if refs or assistants had their phones on at half time when reffing a game.

I wouldn't be. If they think they've dropped a clanger they'll want to know so they can even things up or quickly run to Rodgers to apologise.

Gatecrasher
23-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Craig Thompson v Chris Sutton

It's tough, can't they both just **** off?

Mikey09
23-08-2016, 09:31 AM
And Forrester went on to score against Motherwell when he should have been sitting in the stand serving a suspension... Funny how things work out for they ****s!

dalkeith stu
23-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Wonder how he would take it if after one of his many clangers the team decided to come out a few minutes late for the second half.

Pedantic_Hibee
Makes you wonder how many other scores he's settled on the pitch with decisions....

Mikey

He is very powerful within the refereeing set up and nothing will be done about it. And he knows it!

Hibs Class
23-08-2016, 09:37 AM
If he started the game after a 15 minute break then he's quite right to tell bt sport to gtf. How were they even in contact with him?

If however, he restarted the game after 14 minutes of a half time break he's in the wrong and should be punished.

FIFA laws: players are entitled to an interval at half time, not exceeding 15 minutes.

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 09:48 AM
He is very powerful within the refereeing set up and nothing will be done about it. And he knows it!

Nail on the head will be loving the attention also and all his sycophants will be thanking him for giving it back to Chris Sutton.

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't be. If they think they've dropped a clanger they'll want to know so they can even things up or quickly run to Rodgers to apologise.

Scarily the case no doubt.

BullsCloseHibs
23-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Agreed too. The TV companies have WAY too much say and have ruined the game.

Good to hear this, although CT is still a pleb.

givescotlandfreedom
23-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Thomson is a self important, Hibs hating tosser and I wouldn't pee on him if he was on fire. Unless I had a petrol filled tadger.

matty_f
23-08-2016, 10:26 AM
We need to stop kidding ourselves that tv is the enemy, the game in Scotland needs more revenue through TV, not less. We are already miles behind England financially because of how incompetently previous TV deals were handled, and we have people in charge of the game who seem incapable of marketing it properly.

To then have a ref deliberately go out of his way to spite a broadcaster, who (like it or not) helps our club survive at the level it does, is insane. He should be hammered for it.

We will never get to the levels of the EPL in terms of broadcast income, but we can do a lot better. The Scottish game is very healthy just now, The Rangers have had some relatively high profile signings in Barton particularly, and Celtc have signed well, as well as having a big name manager. Add to that a strong Aberdeen and a potentially strong Hearts and it should be an easy sell for anyone with even the slightest bit of marketing savvy.

Instead we get the beaks going on about the Old Firm and hoping that in itself is enough to sell Scottish football.

If Scottish football is to progress and get anywhere close to a position where we can compete to some level with England (bear in mind that despite a huge financial gap, this often just means that they vastly overpay players who are not necessarily of an ability in line with their wages) is to embrace broadcasters and sell a product that people outside of Scotland (and inside) want to see and would be prepared to pay for.

staunchhibby
23-08-2016, 10:28 AM
About time somebody stood up to TV companies.Sick of themail dictating to us.We do not even get highlights from BBC now new rangers are in the premier league

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Craig Thompson is a dick, chris Sutton is a dick, both will never admit it when they are wrong. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 10:37 AM
We need to stop kidding ourselves that tv is the enemy, the game in Scotland needs more revenue through TV, not less. We are already miles behind England financially because of how incompetently previous TV deals were handled, and we have people in charge of the game who seem incapable of marketing it properly.

To then have a ref deliberately go out of his way to spite a broadcaster, who (like it or not) helps our club survive at the level it does, is insane. He should be hammered for it.

We will never get to the levels of the EPL in terms of broadcast income, but we can do a lot better. The Scottish game is very healthy just now, The Rangers have had some relatively high profile signings in Barton particularly, and Celtc have signed well, as well as having a big name manager. Add to that a strong Aberdeen and a potentially strong Hearts and it should be an easy sell for anyone with even the slightest bit of marketing savvy.

Instead we get the beaks going on about the Old Firm and hoping that in itself is enough to sell Scottish football.

If Scottish football is to progress and get anywhere close to a position where we can compete to some level with England (bear in mind that despite a huge financial gap, this often just means that they vastly overpay players who are not necessarily of an ability in line with their wages) is to embrace broadcasters and sell a product that people outside of Scotland (and inside) want to see and would be prepared to pay for.

Totally agree he should be absolutely hammered for this incredibly arrogant action. Oh look at me. The clubs have signed the deals so should live with what they have agreed it is as simple as that. The game up here couldnt be marketed worse if someone actually tried to sabotage it though I suppose when the CEO of the Footballing authority is predicting armageddon then we shouldnt be surprised.

matty_f
23-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Totally agree he should be absolutely hammered for this incredibly arrogant action. Oh look at me. The clubs have signed the deals so should live with what they have agreed it is as simple as that. The game up here couldnt be marketed worse if someone actually tried to sabotage it though I suppose when the CEO of the Footballing authority is predicting armageddon then we shouldnt be surprised.

:agree: Thomson effectively has tried to sabotage it if the suggestion in the article is correct. Incredible arrogance from Scotland's top cheat.

JeMeSouviens
23-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Craig Thompson is a dick, chris Sutton is a dick, both will never admit it when they are wrong. :rolleyes:

:agree:

So's Mark Hateley.

brog
23-08-2016, 11:22 AM
About time somebody stood up to TV companies.Sick of themail dictating to us.We do not even get highlights from BBC now new rangers are in the premier league

This has nothing to do with someone standing up to the TV companies. This is the action of a spoilt kid throwing his toys out of the pram. As I said before, at least we're now not the only ones who know CT is an arrogant a--hole!!

Golden Bear
23-08-2016, 11:23 AM
This has nothing to do with someone standing up to the TV companies. This is the action of a spoilt kid throwing his toys out of the pram. As I said before, at least we're now not the only ones who know CT is an arrogant a--hole!!

Exactly.

HibernianJK
23-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Half time in football is 15 minutes. If CT started the game after 15 minutes then I don't possibly see how he can be in the wrong here? **** waiting around for TV.

snooky
23-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Makes you wonder how many other scores he's settled on the pitch with decisions....

Hermit Crab
23-08-2016, 11:34 AM

I agree. Why should we have to pander to the tv companies, it's our game not the broadcasters.

Hermit Crab
23-08-2016, 11:37 AM
I think that was the root of it. Sutton had accused him of bottling out of sending Forrester off.

If it hadn't been a The Rangers player then Sutton would not have bothered about it. He's a bitter prick and by far the worst co commentator out there.

Hermit Crab
23-08-2016, 11:39 AM
And Forrester went on to score against Motherwell when he should have been sitting in the stand serving a suspension... Funny how things work out for they ****s!

It would have been 2 yellows so would he have been suspended for the next game?

Tyler Durden
23-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Slightly ashamed to admit I read a Daily Record link to full story this morning.

He allegedly refused to deal with BT production team pre match and started the game early. BT could see this coming so they were prepared and didn't miss anything. Second half naturally started early too.

The point is that foreign TV companies wouldn't have been so lucky. And clearly Thomson is ignoring his obligations here, in a role he is paid to perform let's not forget.

It's clearly true IMO, Sutton had been dropping hints on Twitter all weekend

Tyler Durden
23-08-2016, 11:48 AM
I agree. Why should we have to pander to the tv companies, it's our game not the broadcasters.

Because we have signed a contract. Is that difficult to understand?

Hermit Crab
23-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Because we have signed a contract. Is that difficult to understand?

We didn't sign up to anything! The clubs are puppets for the broadcasters. Get rid of the tv matches and watch crowds get bigger.

hibee_nation
23-08-2016, 11:57 AM
We didn't sign up to anything! The clubs are puppets for the broadcasters. Get rid of the tv matches and watch crowds get bigger.

Great idea wonder why Engerlund never thought of that one.

O'Rourke3
23-08-2016, 11:59 AM

So's Mark Hateley.

And don't get me started on the Admins......

:na na:

Golden Bear
23-08-2016, 12:08 PM

Really?

What makes you think that?

Mikey
23-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Have you got a clue?

JimBHibees
23-08-2016, 12:10 PM
It would have been 2 yellows so would he have been suspended for the next game?

Yes he would have.

Kato
23-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Ego + lack of accountability + whistle = ersehole cheat.

NAE NOOKIE
23-08-2016, 12:35 PM

Its not unusual for kick off to be delayed a few seconds if the TV folk aren't ready .... that's coz the TV folk are paying a lot of money to cover football and squeezing in their adverts goes a long way to the revenues they make from that. Thomson knows that as well as anybody and its not his job to piss off the folk putting money into our game because he is in the huff with one of their pundits, its his job to consider the good of Scottish football at every turn and that includes keeping its benefactors happy.

Thomson has always been a 'look at me' ref ..... as far as he is concerned the two teams on the park are props for the Craig Thomson show. The SPFL should demote him to the Championship for a few games the arrogant lanky prick.

Dashing Bob S
23-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Anybody else standing up to the entitled, dominating, exploitative neoliberal TV companies and their smug ****, I'd be declaring them a national hero. But this is a cheat and a bigot, and obviously, an increasingly thin skinned one.

So **** him.

brog
23-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Anybody else standing up to the entitled, dominating, exploitative neoliberal TV companies and their smug ****, I'd be declaring them a national hero. But this is a cheat and a bigot, and obviously, an increasingly thin skinned one.

So **** him.

Sums it up for me!!

brog
23-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Its not unusual for kick off to be delayed a few seconds if the TV folk aren't ready .... that's coz the TV folk are paying a lot of money to cover football and squeezing in their adverts goes a long way to the revenues they make from that. Thomson knows that as well as anybody and its not his job to piss off the folk putting money into our game because he is in the huff with one of their pundits, its his job to consider the good of Scottish football at every turn and that includes keeping its benefactors happy.

Thomson has always been a 'look at me' ref ..... as far as he is concerned the two teams on the park are props for the Craig Thomson show. The SPFL should demote him to the Championship for a few games the arrogant lanky prick.

Agree with everything you say except the last bit in bold! We don't want him!! Strangely though I thought he was excellent vs them in the cup last season!

Hermit Crab
23-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Have you got a clue?

Strange, I seem to remember Hibs refusing to allow BT to broadcast a game live from Easter rd a few seasons ago. Seems like we're able to do that so why should we let the tv companies rule the roost.

bigwheel
23-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Strange, I seem to remember Hibs refusing to allow BT to broadcast a game live from Easter rd a few seasons ago. Seems like we're able to do that so why should we let the tv companies rule the roost.

that was because we had fulfilled our contractual requirement of number of games - so we had the choice...

emerald green
23-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Is there no end to Thomson's stinking rotten attitude? Full of his own self importance, and an arrogant **** too. His manner when dealing with players on the pitch has always seemed all wrong to me.

He has been getting away with murder for donkey's ages, yet he seems to be bomb-proof. I wonder why.

matty_f
23-08-2016, 02:41 PM
that was because we had fulfilled our contractual requirement of number of games - so we had the choice...

That's right, we had already met our quota of games and the club was under pressure from fans to not televise the game.

GreenLake
23-08-2016, 03:02 PM

Our game has been messed up by the way it was, and to some extent still is allowed to be played. Hoof around ricochet pinball between clatters from the back followed by head volleyball is not great to watch. Blame the monopoly in the west for dismantling competitive teams. Blame refs who let all kinds of obstructive and spoiling challenges pass for football. Blame managers who favor large hammer throwers and physical force. Blame the weather and poor playing surfaces. Blame Nintendo and Playstation for the extinction of home grown world class players. Blame TV too if you like but the viewer ratings are not great.

Bishop Hibee
23-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Little Hitler syndrome from Thomson. Can't bare the thought of anyone having more power than him.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-08-2016, 03:30 PM
TV hasn't done anything to our game. We can say no to the deal if we like.

But who is "we"? And does this "we" represent us (the Hibernian fans)

I'd love to see the breakdown of this money and where it goes.

As a % what goes to...

- sustaining the game (e.g supporting youth development, improving coaching, training facilities)
- improving access for disabled?
- improving spectator facilities

Are the Tv revenues being properly invested or just spent?

The vast sums paid by Sky and BT are controlling the game changing it beyond all recognition. Whether that's for the overall good is debatable.

SlatefordHibby
23-08-2016, 03:39 PM

Hibsed it eh

Eh? :confused:

Jack Hackett
23-08-2016, 06:34 PM
It's a headline, don't know from where as it isn't included in the post but I'm assuming it isn't from the list of media outlets that are regularly trashed on here for being very poor.
"Fuming" ? says who? The game started a minute earlier we can prove that but the next bit is supposition yet it is gulped down as gospel.

It's from the 'gossip' section of the bbc site here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/gossip and is credited to the DR...and I refuse to go anywhere near that site to look for the story