PDA

View Full Version : Scotland squad

Hiber-nation
22-08-2016, 11:48 AM
I've defended Strachan in the past but he's well and truly lost the plot.

No Ross McCormack? Gordon Greer who is nearly 40 and playing in a dismal Blackburn team before Hanlon? Jack Hamilton?? Paterson before Whitty?

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=16455&newsCategoryID=1

Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)
Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)
David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders
Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)
Gordon Greer (Blackburn Rovers)
Grant Hanley (Newcastle United)
Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)
Russell Martin (Norwich City)
Callum Paterson (Heart of Midlothian)
Andrew Robertson (Hull City)
Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)
Oliver Burke (Nottingham Forest)
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)
James Forrest (Celtic)
James McArthur (Crystal Palace)
Kevin McDonald (Fulham)
John McGinn (Hibernian)
Barrie McKay (Rangers)
James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)
Matt Ritchie (Newcastle United)
Robert Snodgrass (Hull City)

Forwards
Steven Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday)
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)
Chris Martin (Derby County)
Steven Naismith (Norwich City)

Biggie
22-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Not the strongest squad......Berra, Greer, Hanley......will be watching thru my fingers

SteveHFC
22-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Same squad as usual.

Future17
22-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Same squad as usual.

Except for the differences.

Salt N Sauzee
22-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Has Strachan picked a new captain?

SteveHFC
22-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Griffiths has to start ahead of Fletcher. Really no excuses if he doesn't.

duffers
22-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Pretty much as expected. Don't think you can complain to much. Hamilton is in as there is about 4 keepers injured.

Smartie
22-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Those centre-halves are woeful but it's hard to think of anyone better.

Hanlon and McGregor really can't be far from getting a call-up. I reckon they might have done if we were playing in the premier league.

Some decent midfielders and forwards though.

Hiber-nation
22-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Has Strachan picked a new captain?

Not yet but I'd like to see Snodgrass get the job. It'll probably be Darren Fletcher I suppose.

Shaun Maloney comes back to form with a goal and an assist and Strachan drops him. He obviously picked the squad before the weekend with Whittaker doing well also.

Dashing Bob S
22-08-2016, 12:01 PM
There are the usual laugh out loud names that have litteed every Scotland squad for the last 30 years.

Try saying "the exciting international career of Barry McKay" with a straight face.

With reference to another thread, he would be the guy who would be the solitary Scot in a future team GB.

andrew70
22-08-2016, 12:01 PM
To be fair Jack Hamilton is a brilliant 'keeper. Despite his limited first team action, to this point, it's good to see the young lad get his chance.

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Not having Rhodes and McCormack in this squad whilst persisting to use Steven Fletcher is an insult to football!

Central defence looks shocking. Robertson/Tierney/Patterson/Hutton are all decent options at full back. Id much rather see a young centre half get a shout than Greer who is aging. We need to start looking to the future! Surely we can find a couple of centre halfs better than Berra & Greer!

Midfield looks very strong with a good mix of pace, goals, youth and experience.

Martin/Naysmith/Fletcher shouldnt be in the squad. Griffiths, Rhodes, McCormack, hell, even Cummings should be our attacking outlets.

We will no doubt play 4-5-1 wih Fletcher up top on his own. Its a joke!

patlowe
22-08-2016, 12:04 PM
A huge dearth of quality at centre half. We have some decent players in other positions but not enough creativity to make up for our weakness at the core of defence.

Smartie
22-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Not having Rhodes and McCormack in this squad whilst persisting to use Steven Fletcher is an insult to football!

Defence looks shocking. Id much rather see a young centre half get a shout than Greer who is aging. We need to start looking to the future!

Any suggestions?

There really isn't an awful lot of quality out there being overlooked.

LancsHibs
22-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Well done John McGinn. I can honestly say I have no idea who about half those players are!!!! Anyway best of luck whoever pulls on the dark blue jersey

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Any suggestions?

You are correct.

But id rather see Hanlon/Mcgregor/Reynolds/Anderson/Wilson/Souttar get a shot as the first 4 of that list have 3/4 years left at least and the other 2 are the future.

Berra/Greer have failed to get us to a competition before, so why not change it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

northstandhibby
22-08-2016, 12:11 PM
To be fair Jack Hamilton is a brilliant 'keeper. Despite his limited first team action, to this point, it's good to see the young lad get his chance.

:rolleyes:

Bit of an overstatement is it not. Jim Herriot, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and hun Goram were brilliant keepers proven over a long period of time. Yamilton has hardly been in the game 5 minutes. Get a grip.

GGTTH

Mikey09
22-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Any suggestions?

Aye. He plays for Hibs. He's way better than Hanley, Greer and Berra.

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 12:14 PM

He's a promising youngster with great potential. Wouldnt call him brilliant with under 15 first team appearances for Hearts to his name....

CorrieHibs
22-08-2016, 12:15 PM
The defence is woeful. Greer 🙈. Fletcher getting the nod ahead of McCormack as well.

Surprised not see another couple of the under 21s promoted i.e. Donald love and Stephen Kingsley. Not saying he should be playing them but good to get these guys in the full squad. It's 2 seasons until the World Cup.

Brightside
22-08-2016, 12:17 PM

No Ross McCormack? Gordon Greer who is nearly 40 and playing in a dismal Blackburn team before Hanlon? Jack Hamilton?? Paterson before Whitty?

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=16455&newsCategoryID=1

Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Defenders
Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
James Forrest (Celtic)
Kevin McDonald (Fulham)
John McGinn (Hibernian)
Barrie McKay (Rangers)

Forwards
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

Its just as pish as i expected it to be. I know we have a few Tartan Army fans on here but i don't see the point of it at all if we refuse to develop players. Oliver Burke is the only one even close to being an emerging talent.

Billy Whizz
22-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Has the under 21 squad been announced yet

WHAM
22-08-2016, 12:18 PM
I don't get what Stachan sees in Chris Martin. I don't recall him having one good game for Scotland.

I think Ross McCormack offers so much more. He must be getting pi55ed off at being continually left out.

andrew70
22-08-2016, 12:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Bit of an overstatement is it not. Jim Herriot, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and hun Goram were brilliant keepers proven over a long period of time. Yam Hamilton has hardly been in the game 5 minutes. Get a grip.

Seen him play many times, terrific 'keeper whether he's a Jambo or not. He will be every bit as good as the above that's for sure. He should have been in the Hearts team long before now.

GGTTH

He's a promising youngster with great potential. Wouldnt call him brilliant with under 15 first team appearances for Hearts to his name....

True, fantastic potential, as above I've liked what I've seen when I've seen him play. Not the biggest but commands his area, communicates and distributes well for a young goalie.

As an aside is Scott Bain injured? If not, I would question why he's not in the squad?

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Its just as pish as i expected it to be. I know we have a few Tartan Army fans on here but i don't see the point of it at all if we refuse to develop players. Oliver Burke is the only one even close to being an emerging talent.

Hamilton

Paterson
Tierney
Robertson

Burke
McGinn
McKay

I count 7 who could be described as emerging talents, all young and all look promising. Not enough in my opinion but its not as bad as youve made out.

Salt N Sauzee
22-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Hardly pish though is it? Don't you consider McGinn, Paterson, Tierney, McKay & Hamilton as emerging talent? Good blend of Youth & Experience in the squad IMO and shows that Strachan is actually giving young players an opportunity. Personally disappointed that McCormack never made the cut but he probably will further down the line. Can't please everyone.

Brightside
22-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Hamilton

Paterson
Tierney
Robertson

Burke
McGinn
McKay

I count 7 who could be described as emerging talents, all young and all look promising. Not enough in my opinion but its not as bad as youve made out.

All have been on the scene for a few years. He actually challenged the reporters that they probably hadn't heard of Burke. The man is another dinosaur and needs vaulted ASAP...or we just slump to another Almost but not quite campaign.

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 12:30 PM
All have been on the scene for a few years. He actually challenged the reporters that they probably hadn't heard of Burke. The man is another dinosaur and needs vaulted ASAP...or we just slump to another Almost but not quite campaign.
I know but all are still improving and could/will go onto bigger things. Id really like us to ditch most of the dead wood and bring a teams worth up from the u21s.

May aswell. we have nothing to lose.

lord bunberry
22-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Who are we playing?

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Who are we playing?

The mighty Malta...

lord bunberry
22-08-2016, 12:34 PM
The mighty Malta...
Is it a friendly or a qualifier?

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Start of the qualifying campaign.

Salt N Sauzee
22-08-2016, 12:35 PM

Qualifier.

lord bunberry
22-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Start of the qualifying campaign.

Thanks.

cabbageandribs1875
22-08-2016, 12:37 PM
i've always liked GS and we certainly started playing far better when he became manager, but his squad for that friendly with France was a disgrace, the same old tired aged players

oh aye, and get ******* shot of that daft pink top we've played in ffs, AND when the **** did burgundy start getting introduced to our colours...SFA t@ats

Brightside
22-08-2016, 12:38 PM
I know but all are still improving and could/will go onto bigger things. Id really like us to ditch most of the dead wood and bring a teams worth up from the u21s.

May aswell. we have nothing to lose.

This is exactly what i want... build properly toward the next EUROs....a team for 4 years time. not a team to win 2-0 v Malta.

AND An E
22-08-2016, 12:38 PM
We really should be giving the younger lads a chance against the likes of Malta. Gordon bloody well Greer?

Smartie
22-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Aye. He plays for Hibs. He's way better than Hanley, Greer and Berra.

FWIW I agree.

But I think we're lucky enough to have McGinn playing for Scotland whilst at a Scottish Championship club. I'd be very surprised to see 2 make the grade, especially when we have a manager who seems to rate the English Championship as being miles above the Scottish Premiership.

We really need to get ourselves promoted as I'm sure Hanlon would force his way in then.

pacoluna
22-08-2016, 12:55 PM
This is exactly what i want... build properly toward the next EUROs....a team for 4 years time. not a team to win 2-0 v Malta.
Berti vogts tried that.

Smartie
22-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Berti vogts tried that.

And whilst it didn't work out great at the time I thought we ended up better off in the long run for players like Darren Fletcher getting a taste of International football early.

CorrieHibs
22-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Berti vogts tried that.

And he got us to a play off. Embarrassed in the second leg but still the furthest we have got in recent years.

pacoluna
22-08-2016, 01:02 PM
And he got us to a play off. Embarrassed in the second leg but still the furthest we have got in recent years.
He was hounded out :confused: every Scottish manager seems to be a failure, I suspect there is something more deep rooted that is the problem. Its all good giving emerging talent an opportunity but there has to be emerging talent in the first place.

HTD1875
22-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Strange uninspiring squad, such a shame that we have so many good promising left backs yet not a centre back in sight.

Hopefully Strachan gives the younger players a chance over players that will be retired by the time the World Cup comes round.

Ergye
22-08-2016, 01:15 PM
David Gray's omission clearly shows that Strachan wants us to fail.

lord bunberry
22-08-2016, 01:51 PM
David Gray's omission clearly shows that Strachan wants us to fail.
:agree: He should be sacked immediately :greengrin

Waxy
22-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Looking further ahead i see a Griffiths/Cummings partnership winning us the world cup.

eastcoasthibby
22-08-2016, 03:15 PM
The average of the centre halts must be 32 ...Strachan should be looking at the likes of Hanlon and Soutar for this game especially Hamlin , not through bias but I think the international game would suit Hanlon ..
If Dylan McGeouch can get a good injury free season u Der his belt he could well be chapping on the international door !

pacoluna
22-08-2016, 03:25 PM

Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Defenders
Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
James Forrest (Celtic)
Kevin McDonald (Fulham)
John McGinn (Hibernian)
Barrie McKay (Rangers)

Forwards
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)
"The grass" hasn't been picked either

Since90+2
22-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Hanlon and McGregor are good quality centre halfs in the Scottish divisions but they are not international standard footballers.

In addition to McGinn the only 2 players I can see possibly making the stepup to international level are Cummings and McGeouch.

Brightside
22-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Hanlon and McGregor are good quality centre halfs in the Scottish divisions but they are not international standard footballers.

In addition to McGinn the only 2 players I can see possibly making the stepup to international level are Cummings and McGeouch.

Both are better than what he continues to pick. Though of the two only Hanlon should be considered if we are building an international squad to prepare for a tournament in 4, 6, 8 years.

Since90+2
22-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Both are better than what he continues to pick. Though of the two only Hanlon should be considered if we are building an international squad to prepare for a tournament in 4, 6, 8 years.

Can't agree.

The guys picked have all played hundreds of games in the English Championship which is a higher standard than even the top league in Scotland never mind the Championship.

I'd be surprised if Hanlon or McGregor ever make the squad let alone get a cap.

Smartie
22-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Can't agree.

The guys picked have all played hundreds of games in the English Championship which is a higher standard than even the top league in Scotland never mind the Championship.

I kind of agree with you but it is all about the abilities of the players relative to the players in the squad.

There are some very decent players in front of Cummings and McGeouch. I'd imagine they'll need to improve, stay injury free and get a move to England in order to get a sniff of International recognition.

The centre-halves in the Scotland squad are generally very poor. Hanley is average, Martin rarely plays centre-half for his club and Scotland lost a bucketload of bad goals through the middle of the defence in the last campaign. Had they not done so they'd have gone through from a very tough group. The back-up players are even worse than those 2.

Hanlon has done consistently well against Scottish Premiership players (when we were in that league and last season in the cups) and he showed up well against Brondby. I don't buy for one minute that he's in any way inferior to the likes of Greer, although I can understand why Strachan might not want to pick a player who plays against the likes of Dumbarton every week. I'm astonished that he keeps (rightly imo) picking McGinn.

California-Hibs
22-08-2016, 04:09 PM
As others have said, our midfield is exciting and strong and we have decent forward options. Griffiths is simply outstanding and couldn't be ignored and I'm actually a big fan of Steven Naismith.

The name I'm disappointed to see left out is Shaun Malloney. A great player, playing week in week out in the English Premier League. Not to be sniffed at!

I agree, defensively is where our weakness is. I actually don't mind Russel Martin and think Hanley can be solid enough, but we don't have any stand outs by far in those defensive positions.

silverhibee
22-08-2016, 04:10 PM

Nobody likes a grass.

Billy Whizz
22-08-2016, 04:12 PM

He pulled out of the last squad, because he lost 3-2 in the Cup Final

GreenOnions
22-08-2016, 05:45 PM

Do you mean "mown"? :wink:

Jake
22-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Don't know why Jack Hamilton has been selected?? Strange inclusion.

Out the midfielders McGinn and Fletcher should definitely start. Griffiths must surely be 1st forward on the team sheet.

Pretty Boy
22-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Why is the grass not in the squad?

Which better left back do we have?

Allant1981
22-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Bit of a strange selection, wouldnt have had the hearts keeper in, no where near experienced enough, the CH's arent that great but to be honest who else is there that has enough experience, folk saying hanlon, against the likes of malta i wouldnt have an issue with him playing but against top quality strikers he would get ripped in my opinion, but he isnt worse than the rest, strange that rhodes and mccormack havent been picked also, surely they are better than martin and fletcher, or being biased why not stick cummings in against the likes of malta, they arent any better than what he faces week in week wout

Allant1981
22-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Why is the grass not in the squad?

Which better left back do we have?

Robertson is a better player in my opinion

Billy Whizz
22-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Robertson is a better player in my opinion

Also got Tierney

BroxburnHibee
22-08-2016, 07:42 PM
David Gray should be getting picked by now.

pennyhibee
22-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Still too many in that squad that have failed to get us qualified .Same old story .Think the time has come to give the kids a go .If they fail this time they may have the exoerience to achieve the goal next time

Kaff
22-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Steven Caulker at QPR qualifies and if he hasnt been approached he certainly should be.
He hasn't had a good couple of seasons but has started this one fairly well and certainly has the pedigree if he can get his form back, as has been said centre back is a worry.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-08-2016, 08:01 PM
McCormack is widely acknowledged as the best player outwith the Premiership . Not sure why he misses out .

Brightside
22-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Can't agree.

You are missing my point. We need to build a squad that will be ready to qualify for the the big tournaments in 4,6,8 years...So you start with the young players and few old heads and create a close knit team that learn how to play together. The fact that some guy in his mid 30s has more games in the Eng Champs doesnt matter if he;s going to be in his 40s when it matters.

Scotthibs1875
22-08-2016, 08:17 PM
As others have said, our midfield is exciting and strong and we have decent forward options. Griffiths is simply outstanding and couldn't be ignored and I'm actually a big fan of Steven Naismith.

The name I'm disappointed to see left out is Shaun Malloney. A great player, playing week in week out in the English Premier League. Not to be sniffed at!

I agree, defensively is where our weakness is. I actually don't mind Russel Martin and think Hanley can be solid enough, but we don't have any stand outs by far in those defensive positions.

Hull City have 13 first team players available and Maloney has failed to start in any of their opening Premier League games. Shows how highly rated he is at Hull at the moment. Tbf he did score & assist on Saturday but Strachan had probably already made his mind up about the majority of the squad before Saturday.

Strachan on McCormack being left out : "You have to have a variation of players so you can change the way you want to play at times with the strikers, you have to have more rounded. I wish we could have everything but guys have their different strengths."

Seems to me that Strachan chooses Leigh Griffiths over Ross McCormack because, although both are goal scorers, Leigh Griffiths offers more when only playing with 1 striker. With Fletcher & Martin both are physical, 6ft plus & can hold up the ball much better than McCormack. McCormack is obviously a good player, hence why Fulham & Villa paid such huge sums for him, but I think Strachan doesn't believe McCormack suits the Scotland national team set up.

Brightside
22-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Hull City have 13 first team players available and Maloney has failed to start in any of their opening Premier League games. Shows how highly rated he is at Hull at the moment. Tbf he did score & assist on Saturday but Strachan had probably already made his mind up about the majority of the squad before Saturday.

Strachan on McCormack being left out : "You have to have a variation of players so you can change the way you want to play at times with the strikers, you have to have more rounded. I wish we could have everything but guys have their different strengths."

Seems to me that Strachan chooses Leigh Griffiths over Ross McCormack because, although both are goal scorers, Leigh Griffiths offers more when only playing with 1 striker. With Fletcher & Martin both are physical, 6ft plus & can hold up the ball much better than McCormack. McCormack is obviously a good player, hence why Fulham & Villa paid such huge sums for him, but I think Strachan doesn't believe McCormack suits the Scotland national team set up.

I've seen nothing from Martin in a scotland shirt...and Fletchers time is up. Rhodes and McCormack would be in my squad every time.

Scotthibs1875
22-08-2016, 08:48 PM
I've seen nothing from Martin in a scotland shirt...and Fletchers time is up. Rhodes and McCormack would be in my squad every time.

I agree with you re. Martin. I'm yet to see him play well for Derby/Scotland. However I think Fletcher's criticism is harsh. Granted his goal record isn't great in recent years but there is no one better to pick from for Scotland in terms of his hold up/link up play in the 4-2-3-1 formation. Rhodes is unlikely to get much game time at Middlesbrough hence why he's been linked with Wolves recently. A decent goal scoring record but doesn't offer a lot else IMO.

WeeRussell
23-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Just on a couple of points:

Am I right in saying that Rhodes hasn't played 1 minute for Boro yet? If so, it's far from an outrage that he hasn't been called-up.

Didn't Lee Wallace basically retire from int football after he was beaten within an inch of his life at the cup final? Regardless, Robertson would be my starting left back.

I agree on Chris Martin though - seems to bang them in for Derby but I've never once enjoyed a performance from him :confused: I would also rather see Alan Hutton disappear from the squad but there you go.

The squad is good enough though - 3 points from the first game to open the campaign is the most important thing.

Lago
23-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Yip, not over joyed at all, going to be the same old same as far as qualification goes.

CorrieHibs
23-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Steven Caulker at QPR qualifies and if he hasnt been approached he certainly should be.
He hasn't had a good couple of seasons but has started this one fairly well and certainly has the pedigree if he can get his form back, as has been said centre back is a worry.

Caulker has been approached a few times but isn't interested.

Mathias Jack
24-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Just on a couple of points:

Am I right in saying that Rhodes hasn't played 1 minute for Boro yet? If so, it's far from an outrage that he hasn't been called-up.

Didn't Lee Wallace basically retire from int football after he was beaten within an inch of his life at the cup final? Regardless, Robertson would be my starting left back.

I agree on Chris Martin though - seems to bang them in for Derby but I've never once enjoyed a performance from him :confused: I would also rather see Alan Hutton disappear from the squad but there you go.

The squad is good enough though - 3 points from the first game to open the campaign is the most important thing.

Regarding Rhodes, do you mean has he played 1 min this season or since he signed for Boro? If it's the former, Boro are in only in their 3rd game of the season, so it's likely that there's a few that haven't played this season.

If it's the latter, by my reckoning, he's only missed 1 game since he signed for them in January. He's played 18 games, scoring 6. We don't have that luxury of the 'if he's not playing, he can't be in the starting 11' mind set. I'd pick him over Chris Martin any time.

JDHibs
24-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Rhodes is being kept out of the team because of the formation Karanka is using at present. He is favouring a lone striker which suits Negredo and Nugent better as they are more physical.

If they play 2 up top, he plays. Hes barely missed a game for Boro since he signed.

He scores goals. End of. Should be in the national team ahead of Martin and Naysmith.

Smartie
24-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Regarding Rhodes, do you mean has he played 1 min this season or since he signed for Boro? If it's the former, Boro are in only in their 3rd game of the season, so it's likely that there's a few that haven't played this season.

If it's the latter, by my reckoning, he's only missed 1 game since he signed for them in January. He's played 18 games, scoring 6. We don't have that luxury of the 'if he's not playing, he can't be in the starting 11' mind set. I'd pick him over Chris Martin any time.

I've never seen anything in Chris Martin playing for Scotland.

I've seen him play for Derby a few times though and he's been impressive.

I don't know what Chris Martin has done yet this season but I don't think we have the luxury of leaving out players who are playing well and regularly at a decent level and also scoring.

We need Rhodes to move somewhere where he's going to play. I don't think we can afford to take rusty benchwarmers no matter how good they are.

I feel for Ross McCormack - he deserves to be there.

Kato
24-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Berti vogts tried that.

...and, although that type of programme takes years to pay off, the press crucified him for it. Meanwhile we still toil to make any impact at international level.

Scotthibs1875
24-08-2016, 09:27 AM
...and, although that type of programme takes years to pay off, the press crucified him for it. Meanwhile we still toil to make any impact at international level.

It wasn't just the press that crucified him, everyone wanted rid of him & rightly so. He wasn't a good manager.

Everyone would like to see Scotland produce young, exciting talent but unfortunately that has happened for the last 20 years or so. It's all very well saying give younger players a chance but what's the point of picking young players for 4 years or so and then these players don't kick on and improve & are ultimately not good enough. Back to square 1 yet again.

Hiber-nation
24-08-2016, 09:40 AM

I know what you mean but hopefully there is a happy medium. It seemes like Vogts was handing out caps to almost every Scottish player in the English lower leagues regardless of ability....Warren Cummings anyone?!

Viva_Palmeiras
24-08-2016, 09:56 AM
I've never seen anything in Chris Martin playing for Scotland.

I've seen him play for Derby a few times though and he's been impressive.

I don't know what Chris Martin has done yet this season but I don't think we have the luxury of leaving out players who are playing well and regularly at a decent level and also scoring.

We need Rhodes to move somewhere where he's going to play. I don't think we can afford to take rusty benchwarmers no matter how good they are.

I feel for Ross McCormack - he deserves to be there.

I lost all respect for Chris Martin after he married Paltrow.

Speedy
24-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Caulker has been approached a few times but isn't interested.

The longer he stays out the England set up the more interested he'll get in us.

CorrieHibs
24-08-2016, 10:43 AM
The longer he stays out the England set up the more interested he'll get in us.

We need to start qualifying for the tournaments before he'll show any interest.

Smartie
24-08-2016, 11:41 AM
I lost all respect for Chris Martin after he married Paltrow.

I lost a lot of respect for Paltrow when she got in tow with Chris Martin.

Kato
24-08-2016, 12:19 PM
It wasn't just the press that crucified him, everyone wanted rid of him & rightly so. He wasn't a good manager.

Everyone would like to see Scotland produce young, exciting talent but unfortunately that has happened for the last 20 years or so. It's all very well saying give younger players a chance but what's the point of picking young players for 4 years or so and then these players don't kick on and improve & are ultimately not good enough. Back to square 1 yet again.

So the solution is not to try anything at all? The players we do pick aren't good enough anyway. Vogts was only doing what most progressive countries do, give as many young players as you can chance and see how they perform at international level. Some players thrive and some don't.

However best we just carry on as we do, giving players their first cap aged 25-27 and not getting anywhere anyway.

Smartie
24-08-2016, 12:29 PM
So the solution is not to try anything at all? The players we do pick aren't good enough anyway. Vogts was only doing what most progressive countries do, give as many young players as you can chance and see how they perform at international level. Some players thrive and some don't.

However best we just carry on as we do, giving players their first cap aged 25-27 and not getting anywhere anyway.

The Vogts era summed up everything that is/was wrong with Scottish football.

An intelligent coach from overseas with a good track record came in and tried to do something new. We saw the benefit of his era further down the line and he actually got us closer to qualifying than anyone since.

He had a funny accent and was a bit different therefore he was fair game to be pilloried by the media and the fans, leaving a good man who had bucket loads to offer leaving with a damaged reputation. And all for introducing new ideas, doing his best and achieving what was a relative level of success with very little talent and resources at his disposal.

Whilst he had his failings and there were certainly some poor performances under him, myself and the guys who I go to Scotland games with still hold the guy in fairly high regard. And I will always respect that fact that someone tried something different than what is described in your last sentence which seems to be the "go to" position all of the other establishment figures seem to revert back to whenever in charge of the National team.

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-08-2016, 12:37 PM
as someone who attends Scotland games and is traveling to Malta next week for the opening qualifier, i honestly don't know what the best option is for going forward. The biggest disappointment is the continual presence of players like Hutton (always been a supporter of his) Greer, Martin. surprised Mulgrew isn't involved as he loves to pick him

I'd have liked Strachan to have given a bit of a clearer vision when he announced he would stay on. I've got a feeling there wont be too much change to the line up from the previous set of qualifiers. If we are going to lose and not qualify (no change from the last x amount of campaigns) i'd much prefer us to do it with a clear attaching line up with a good mix of youth and experience. Guys like Paterson, Robertson, Mcginn, Burke, Mckay and Griffiths are the players i wanna see starting this campaign and going for it. would rather lose 4-3 and go for it than a tight 1-0 loss but defended the whole game

Always baffled me Hanlon hasn't rec'd international recognition but suits me tbh, i don't really want many hibs players playing and potentially getting injured.

pacoluna
24-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Griffiths showed yesterday that he still has a lot to improve on his game and that is why GS has been reluctant to consistently start him for Scotland. He was anonymous yesterday when playing upfront on his own, a formation that will regularly be used by Scotland when playing away from home. As much as people doubt Fletch he is a far better lone striker and against teams like England is more likely to be selected .sparky's link up play is second to none along with his technique, speed and agility however ball retention wise he still needs to add that to his game and for a lone striker it is imperative.

Scotthibs1875
24-08-2016, 02:22 PM

No not at all. There has to be a balance. You can't just pick the vast majority of the Scotland swuad on the sole basis because they are young they should be picked. Players like Greer, Hanley, Hutton etc. are being called up to the squad because unfortunately these are the best we have in these positions at the moment.

Besides how many managers in this current era actually last more than 3-4 years in football? As soon as we fail to qualify it's automatically the manager's fault because he didn't pick some average player at Aberdeen over some journeyman from West Brom.

I think Strachan is trying to implement young players into the squad e.g. Tierney, McGinn, Burke, McKay which is great because I highly doubt if Potter was in charge he would be picking any of the players I just mentioned.

Brightside
24-08-2016, 02:42 PM

An intelligent coach from overseas with a good track record came in and tried to do something new. We saw the benefit of his era further down the line and he actually got us closer to qualifying than anyone since.

He had a funny accent and was a bit different therefore he was fair game to be pilloried by the media and the fans, leaving a good man who had bucket loads to offer leaving with a damaged reputation. And all for introducing new ideas, doing his best and achieving what was a relative level of success with very little talent and resources at his disposal.

Whilst he had his failings and there were certainly some poor performances under him, myself and the guys who I go to Scotland games with still hold the guy in fairly high regard. And I will always respect that fact that someone tried something different than what is described in your last sentence which seems to be the "go to" position all of the other establishment figures seem to revert back to whenever in charge of the National team.
He was a a genius compared to wee Gordon.

Brightside
24-08-2016, 02:43 PM
No not at all. There has to be a balance. You can't just pick the vast majority of the Scotland swuad on the sole basis because they are young they should be picked. Players like Greer, Hanley, Hutton etc. are being called up to the squad because unfortunately these are the best we have in these positions at the moment.

Besides how many managers in this current era actually last more than 3-4 years in football? As soon as we fail to qualify it's automatically the manager's fault because he didn't pick some average player at Aberdeen over some journeyman from West Brom.

I think Strachan is trying to implement young players into the squad e.g. Tierney, McGinn, Burke, McKay which is great because I highly doubt if Potter was in charge he would be picking any of the players I just mentioned.

Greer Hanley and Hutton are far from the best we have in these positions. We are being fooled into thinking that.

JimBHibees
24-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Greer Hanley and Hutton are far from the best we have in these positions. We are being fooled into thinking that.

Not sure there is much better than Hanley to be fair. Quite like him but has been unlucky with injury.

JimBHibees
24-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Griffiths showed yesterday that he still has a lot to improve on his game and that is why GS has been reluctant to consistently start him for Scotland. He was anonymous yesterday when playing upfront on his own, a formation that will regularly be used by Scotland when playing away from home. As much as people doubt Fletch he is a far better lone striker and against teams like England is more likely to be selected .sparky's link up play is second to none along with his technique, speed and agility however ball retention wise he still needs to add that to his game and for a lone striker it is imperative.

Dont think anyway you could make any sort of judgement on Griffiths last night his team had no ball at all and his service was laughable.

Kato
24-08-2016, 02:49 PM
No not at all. There has to be a balance. You can't just pick the vast majority of the Scotland swuad on the sole basis because they are young they should be picked.

Yes actually you can.

Players like Greer, Hanley, Hutton etc. are being called up to the squad because unfortunately these are the best we have in these positions at the moment.

Problem being all that which ails Scottish International football is nothing to do with managers/players or anything at all at the top end - bar the SFA and it's stagnancy.

Development, youth facilities and coaching are all dire. Tinkering with the squad or who picks it is like treating bubonic plague by handing out tissues.

CorrieHibs
24-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Totally agree with that. As I said previously he got us further than any of the other managers after him.'

pacoluna
24-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Hanley is Good player in my opinion, I think some people on this are a little bit bias with regards to Hanlon being in the scotland squad. Hanley has 183 caps for Blackburn captained them at the age of 24 and just signed for newcastle, he is the best current scottish CB without a doubt.

pacoluna
24-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Dont think anyway you could make any sort of judgement on Griffiths last night his team had no ball at all and his service was laughable.
Rodgers changed the formation and put dembele on and they looked more comfortable with 15 minutes to go. By no means am i saying dembele is better than sparky all I am saying is tactical tinkering and different formations are sometimes needed to see out or win games, as GS has mentioned.Dembele looked more of a threat paying up top on his own than Sparky did, If sparky adds that to his game he will be playing in the EPL

California-Hibs
24-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Hanley is Good player in my opinion, I think some people on this are a little bit bias with regards to Hanlon being in the scotland squad. Hanley has 183 caps for Blackburn captained them at the age of 24 and just signed for newcastle, he is the best current scottish CB without a doubt.

Agree with this. Hanley is a very decent solid player and I have no problem with him being in there whatsoever.

Scotthibs1875
24-08-2016, 03:54 PM

I don't particularly rate any of the 3 I listed, however, there aren't many other options to choose from that would improve us drastically. I'd choose Hanlon over Greer/Hanley & Paterson over Hutton but Paterson has showed last season that defensively he is poor.

Who would you replace them with?

Allant1981
24-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I don't particularly rate any of the 3 I listed, however, there aren't many other options to choose from that would improve us drastically. I'd choose Hanlon over Greer/Hanley & Paterson over Hutton but Paterson has showed last season that defensively he is poor.

You would genuinely swap hanlon for hanley? Granted i dont watch much english football but any time ive seen hanley play for scotland i havent thought any of our players are better, thats not to say hanlon shouldnt be in the squad as i think he should be and if we go up think he will

California-Hibs
24-08-2016, 04:08 PM

No way would Hanlon replace Hanley, and for the record I'm a big Hanlon fan. Hanley is playing at a far higher level and not looking out of place.

Smartie
24-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Hanley's a decent player and deserves his place in the team. It's fairly sorry fact but the fact remains that he is currently Scotland's best centre-back.

He's a different type of player to Hanlon but if I was to choose one I'd take Hanley.

I actually think Hanlon would be pretty good next to him. I don't think there are any other Scottish centre-backs out there better than Hanlon. Has Berra improved much since he went down South? I certainly never saw anything of him at Hearts to suggest he's a better player than Hanlon.

If Hanlon moved to the likes of Rotherham he'd be in the next Scotland squad. I've always been surprised that nobody has come in for him and that he's chosen not to move on. Hanlon's a great player.

Scotthibs1875
24-08-2016, 05:10 PM
You would genuinely swap hanlon for hanley? Granted i dont watch much english football but any time ive seen hanley play for scotland i havent thought any of our players are better, thats not to say hanlon shouldnt be in the squad as i think he should be and if we go up think he will

If you want centre half that can pick a pass & have composure on the ball then I can't think of anyone better for Scotland than Paul Hanlon. His performance in Brondby was outstanding and shows he is capable of coping with international strikers no problem at all.

From what I've seen of Grant Hanley, he punts the ball whatever way he is facing & is blowing out of his ar*e most of the time due to his lack of positioning/ability.

Allant1981
24-08-2016, 05:14 PM
If you want centre half that can pick a pass & have composure on the ball then I can't think of anyone better for Scotland than Paul Hanlon. His performance in Brondby was outstanding and shows he is capable of coping with international strikers no problem at all.

From what I've seen of Grant Hanley, he punts the ball whatever way he is facing & is blowing out of his ar*e most of the time due to his lack of positioning/ability.

I like hanlon and would have him in the squad but dont think he is better than hanley or martin who also play at a higher level every week, hanlon needs to be playing at least premier league level up here and playing well every week before i think he will make the squad, just my opinion of course amd others will disagree

pacoluna
24-08-2016, 07:49 PM
I like hanlon and would have him in the squad but dont think he is better than hanley or martin who also play at a higher level every week, hanlon needs to be playing at least premier league level up here and playing well every week before i think he will make the squad, just my opinion of course amd others will disagree

Good solid player for hibs but a Scotland call up is unlikely to be any time soon, I personally don't think he is the best scottish cb a hibs however with him being younger there may be more of a chance for him.

Allant1981
24-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Good solid player for hibs but a Scotland call up is unlikely to be any time soon, I personally don't think he is the best scottish cb a hibs however with him being younger there may be more of a chance for him.

Aww i agree, i posted a while back i thought mcgregor was better but everyone has their favourites i suppose, if he gets called up it means we are playing well so here's hoping

Leith's finest
24-08-2016, 09:37 PM
When we get back into spl I think Hanlon will be part off the Scotland squad, Hanley is our best Scotland c/h, I honestĺy think Paul is better than Berra and Greer

KWJ
25-08-2016, 11:10 AM

Ideally Scotland would have many better CHs than Paul, but we don't.

If he keeps playing as he is he'll be in the squad by the end of next year.

WeeRussell
25-08-2016, 11:12 AM
It doesn't seem that long since Hanlon was getting the Stevenson treatment and totally dividing our support.

Hopefully he gets his national call-up in time :agree:

pacoluna
25-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Ideally Scotland would have many better CHs than Paul, but we don't.

If he keeps playing as he is he'll be in the squad by the end of next year.

I have my doubts.

ancient hibee
25-08-2016, 04:55 PM
I really thought that Celtic would try to buy Hanlon.As it is there seems to be a competition to see how many defenders worse than Ambrose they can sign.