PDA

View Full Version : Greenock Morton

Finn2015
22-08-2016, 02:15 AM
Interesting to note that looking their season so far and looking at the league cup and three league games, they are unbeaten 🤔

Just thought I'd throw that pipe bomb in. Far from easy

Ardenttwo
22-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Interesting to note that looking their season so far and looking at the league cup and three league games, they are unbeaten 🤔

Aye and the last time they played us at ER we got thrashed 3-0 going on 5-0 Not so long ago

bigwheel
22-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Aye and the last time they played us at ER we got thrashed 3-0 going on 5-0 Not so long ago

That's true - although in the first half it could have been 3 or 4 nil for us - got the making of a good game - certainly no walk over that's for sure

Highland_Hibee
22-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Let's end all doubt and smash 'em! 3-0 another goal from JC and two others, mix it up a bit. :flag:

Borderhibbie76
22-08-2016, 09:42 AM
It will be tough they are a well organised outfit but our first 3 games were all tricky on paper and we've dealt with them...just more of the same on sat please Hibees

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Salt N Sauzee
22-08-2016, 09:50 AM
We'll beat them comfortably.

Marco G
22-08-2016, 09:54 AM
We'll beat them comfortably.
Hope so. The last game at ER was bizarre when we leaked goals for fun. Would not think that will happen this time round.

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 09:57 AM
No game in this league should be looked at as "easy", thats a very naive approach and thats cost us in the past.

Id hope NL and the players wouldnt look upon our opposition in this manner!

Morton are on a good run, but so are we! Will be a tough game!

Salt N Sauzee
22-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Hope so. The last game at ER was bizarre when we leaked goals for fun. Would not think that will happen this time round.

Was a freak result last time. I have every confidence that Lennon won't let that happen again.

bigwheel
22-08-2016, 09:59 AM
No game in this league should be looked at as "easy", thats a very naive approach and thats cost us in the past.

Id hope NL and the players wouldnt look upon our opposition in this manner!

Morton are on a good run, but so are we! Will be a tough game!

agreed - we are not good enough to stroll any match in this league - but with a full on performance, we can win any game.

JDHibs
22-08-2016, 10:02 AM
agreed - we are not good enough to stroll any match in this league - but with a full on performance, we can win any game.
On our day we can beat anyone in this division. No doubts about it.

Id also say we can beat most in the premiership!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

22-08-2016, 10:08 AM
No game is "easy". We are the team everyone wants to get a result against. We saw last year teams sitting in and thats tough to break down.

Salt N Sauzee
22-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Really? You don't think we're capable of strolling games against the likes of Dumbarton, Ayr or even St. Mirren? We're definitely good enough. Give them a wee bit credit!

bigwheel
22-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Really? You don't think we're capable of strolling games against the likes of Dumbarton, Ayr or even St. Mirren? We're definitely good enough. Give them a wee bit credit!

Dumbarton beat us twice last season.....St Mirren drew with us last season, and will get better as the season goes on and we have lost to worse teams than Ayr in recent times too..so no, - I don't see any game as a stroll...

Ronniekirk
22-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Be carefull with those pipe bombs Finn

Not to worried about Morton game it will take care pf itself We are on a roll and at home Shinnie will get more game time and his introduction v St Mirren sparked a more sustained attacking phase in the game Only a matter of time before he gets on the score sheet

Salt N Sauzee
22-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Dumbarton beat us twice last season.....St Mirren drew with us last season, and will get better as the season goes on and we have lost to worse teams than Ayr in recent times too..so no, - I don't see any game as a stroll...

Those results were all our own doing, we played terrible for weeks. We pretty much strolled our game yesterday, St. Mirren only had one shot on target and we had the game tied up at half time. Didn't even need to come out of second gear. St. Mirren are garbage and I expect us to stroll our remaining games against them.

Smartie
22-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Talk of strolling games and pumping teams by 4 or 5 is nonsense. We might do it once in a while, as Hearts and Rangers did, but the priority is to keep winning games.

It was consistently winning, and not dropping silly points that made their performanced look so good over the past 2 seasons.

Morton WILL be tough and I'd bite your hand off for another 3 points, however we get them.

I think we probably do have it in us to pump the odd team at ER later in the season, if we're out in front and a team comes who are down on their luck.

But I won't be greetin if it isn't this weekend. Just as long as we don't drop any points.

superfurryhibby
22-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Was a freak result last time. I have every confidence that Lennon won't let that happen again.

Whilst fully anticipating a Hibs win on Saturday, I am also mindful that we were pumped 1-3 against QoS recently and that we were also fairly insipid aginst Dunfermline. Hopefully Lennon and the team had a strong kick up the erky after that League Cup result and won't let it happen again, again.

22-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Dreadful result that night and it kick started a string of horrednous results that well and truly killed off any title hopes we had. We had numerous chances but missed them and unfortunatly they put away the few chances they had. I can't remember exactly but i'm sure they had something like 3 shots on target and scored every one.

22-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Talk of strolling games and pumping teams by 4 or 5 is nonsense. We might do it once in a while, as Hearts and Rangers did, but the priority is to keep winning games.

It was consistently winning, and not dropping silly points that made their performanced look so good over the past 2 seasons.

Morton WILL be tough and I'd bite your hand off for another 3 points, however we get them.

I think we probably do have it in us to pump the odd team at ER later in the season, if we're out in front and a team comes who are down on their luck.

But I won't be greetin if it isn't this weekend. Just as long as we don't drop any points.

3 points is 3 points whether its a 10 nil rout or a scrappy 1-0. To win leagues sometimes you have to grind out scrappy wins as well. We just have to take our chances and win at all costs. Too many times last year we lost points in games due to not taking our chances or finishing teams off. Just keep winning.

eastcoasthibby
22-08-2016, 03:43 PM

The result against QOS in the cup wasn't disimilar to the Morton one previously, both scenarios we didn't take our chances in the first half and collapsed after both teams scored their first goals !
Whilst we can look at them as freak results, I have an unnerving feeling that we still have a vulnerability about us defensively at times !! But hope the QOS result gave Lennon the chance to get into them about it, so it doesn't happen again !!
But as we all know we need to get out and play well ...to get the results we need

emerald green
22-08-2016, 05:40 PM
I've been watching Hibs for far too long to take any match result for granted.

Hibs have got a far better squad of players than Greenock Morton, that's for sure, but that in itself doesn't guarantee anything. Unless Hibs apply themselves properly, and take enough of the chances they create, there is always the possibility they will lose or draw any given match. That's happened to far better Hibs teams in the past.

I don't expect it to happen on Saturday though. If the attitude is right, all over the pitch, Hibs will win.

NAE NOOKIE
22-08-2016, 06:00 PM
I agree about Morton, they are usually pretty well organised and I can see this game being a lot less open than our game against Dunfermline was. So far they have drawn every game 1 - 1 and that includes a derby away to St Mirren and a home game against Falkirk. Looks like they are a pretty stuffy outfit so it could be a case of patience required and watching out for them on the break.

Dashing Bob S
22-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Will Lennon's tactics need to be GM modified?

Sergey
22-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Will Lennon's tactics need to be GM modified?

:applause:

Too witty for moi.

Enough said
22-08-2016, 08:04 PM
I am confident of a hibs win.. Our manager will be demanding 3 points from the players... Moan the cabbage

AlbertK86
22-08-2016, 08:12 PM
They nullified at us at Cappielow in last away game of season as well. Couple of good saves from Oxley and a few missed chances from us in a very dour game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
22-08-2016, 08:39 PM
:applause:

Too witty for moi.

Will the cabbage be GM modified, Mister Lennon?

monktonharp
23-08-2016, 12:27 AM
I was pleasantly surprised at the performances of Shinnie and Graham last week. they will do well throughout the season , I am sure. this game coming up, will hopefully see a few goals, with them involved. we have players all over the park much better than Morton. if we score first, their game plan is busted

NZ Green
23-08-2016, 06:14 AM
... if we score first, their game plan is busted
Yeah but it takes away the threat of conceding because they will have conceded. So we'll have to be careful.

Hermit Crab
23-08-2016, 11:48 AM
We need early goals against these teams in this league home and away. If you get an early goal then thats their plan goosed and the game opens up making it easier for us to pick them off on the counter. Having said that, at 0-2 down St Mirren still offered absolutely nothing and we should have scored at least 7 during that game. St Mirrens first shot on target came after 83 minutes and that was greeted by ironic cheers from the home fans.

Enough said
23-08-2016, 11:55 AM
We need early goals against these teams in this league home and away. If you get an early goal then thats their plan goosed and the game opens up making it easier for us to pick them off on the counter. Having said that, at 0-2 down St Mirren still offered absolutely nothing and we should have scored at least 7 during that game. St Mirrens first shot on target came after 83 minutes and that was greeted by ironic cheers from the home fans.
Scored early against qos at home in cup

Hermit Crab
23-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Scored early against qos at home in cup

22 minutes, however we need to go on and kill games off. I'll put that result down to experience. We have to take chances. If we take our chances vs these teams we will win most games.