PDA

View Full Version : When Hibs beat Liverpool in Europe

Hibernia&Alba
21-08-2016, 08:48 PM
1975: how times changes, and what a great Liverpool side it was. Auld yins, were you there on that great night? Magnificent Hibs kit, tae.

https://youtu.be/S6aFDyKlD50

linlithgowhibbie
21-08-2016, 08:51 PM
One of many great nights. John Toshack done us at Anfield

Bostonhibby
21-08-2016, 08:53 PM
I was there, in the old enclosure under the west stand, great night and where did the time go! Never really took to Harper but he knew where the back of the net was.

ancient hibee
21-08-2016, 08:56 PM
One of many great nights. John Toshack done us at Anfield

After Stanton was left out of the replay.One of Turnbull's bizarre decisions which were becoming more frequent.

cabbageandribs1875
i was only a wee laddie and was away on holiday with my parents and sis, mother told me and my dad if we wanted to go to the game i would have to go to school that week instead :boo hoo: was in the coo shed for the Uefa tie with leeds though...in a crowd of 42,000..or 36,000(i think):hmmm: sir patrick missing the penalty :( Billy Bremner was absolutely superb that game....and to think we could have have had him playing FOR US at one time, too young for the Fairs cup tie with super leeds few years before

Hibernia&Alba
Imagine Hibs beating a team of that quality today: no chance, sadly. Different game now.

Hibby Gav
21-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Got totally soaked high in the old East terracing...brilliant night...40 odd thousand there that night if memory serves.........aaahhhh

ggtth

Kojock
21-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Got totally soaked high in the old East terracing...brilliant night...40 odd thousand there that night if memory serves.........aaahhhh

ggtth

Yip was pouring with rain all night, John Brownlie missed a pen to make it 2-0. Halcyon days.

West lower
21-08-2016, 09:04 PM
I was there, in the old enclosure under the west stand, great night and where did the time go! Never really took to Harper but he knew where the back of the net was.

I Was there too. In the cow shed . It was my first ever European night. My dad worked away from home and had been away for best part of a year. He got home that morning and took me to the game when I got home from school. A very special day for this young Hibee !

Argylehibby
21-08-2016, 09:05 PM
After Stanton was left out of the replay.One of Turnbull's bizarre decisions which were becoming more frequent.

:agree: that decision probably cost us the tie. First game at home we were superb and could have won by more.

Newcastlehibby
21-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Was there home and away. Great days.

greenlex
21-08-2016, 09:07 PM
East terracing. 50p per ticket.

Hibernia&Alba
21-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Was there home and away. Great days.

Is there any footage of the away leg?

Real Emerald
21-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Yip was pouring with rain all night, John Brownlie missed a pen to make it 2-0. Halcyon days.

Remember it well absolutely tipping it down, Liverpool weren't at the races that night. Changed days indeed 🙁

Hibby Gav
21-08-2016, 09:09 PM

Great memories ..........:flag:

Finn2015
21-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Imagine Hibs beating a team of that quality today: no chance, sadly. Different game now.

Yip in came sky and money is now King. Living in England, quite used to disparaging comments about the Scottish game but a lot fail to realise that it is far from a level playing field

Big L
21-08-2016, 09:13 PM
I was at ER and Annfield. Edwards put us 2 up in Liverpool but Toshack got 3 identical goals at the back post. The only person we had that could have got up with Toshack was Pat Stanton but Eddie dropped him after a poor game against Montrose, I think. If I remember correctly, Ian Munro was brilliant at ER THE Liverpool players said if he played like that for them they would put up a statue at Anfield, those were the days!

Ringothedog
21-08-2016, 09:13 PM

ggtth

Hibernia&Alba
21-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Yip in came sky and money is now King. Living in England, quite used to disparaging comments about the Scottish game but a lot fail to realise that it is far from a level playing field

True. It was a fantastic Liverpool team we beat. Didn't they win the trophy that season?

Big L
21-08-2016, 09:17 PM
i was only a wee laddie and was away on holiday with my parents and sis, mother told me and my dad if we wanted to go to the game i would have to go to school that week instead :boo hoo: was in the coo shed for the Uefa tie with leeds though...in a crowd of 42,000..or 36,000(i think):hmmm: sir patrick missing the penalty :( Billy Bremner was absolutely superb that game....and to think we could have have had him playing FOR US at one time, too young for the Fairs cup tie with super leeds few years before
I remember him taking the piss out of CropleyWasGod and Gordon, standing on the penalty spot keeping the ba up then back heed to Letheringsett his 16 yr olg keeper, he was so good, played sweeper that nite.

Ringothedog
21-08-2016, 09:17 PM
True. It was a fantastic Liverpool team we beat. Didn't they win the trophy that season?

Yes, and it was their only defeat in the competition that season.

Real Emerald
21-08-2016, 09:24 PM

Remember it well absolutely tipping it down, Liverpool weren't at the races that night. Changed days indeed 🙁

HoboHarry
21-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Video of Joe Harper scoring for Hibs being hailed as a great thing? Hope Doddie's dug has a hiding spot under the bed or his bollox are going to take a kicking..........

:wink: :greengrin

hibby6270
21-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Yes - I was definitely there. Great goal but strangely don't recall much else about the rest of the match.

The Leeds 0-0 game on the other hand I do recall pretty well. Played them off the park and were so unlucky. Kinda what we're used to seeing at times nowadays. LOL :greengrin:greengrin

Big L
21-08-2016, 09:57 PM
That Harper wasn't a bad goal scorer, he must be the only Hibs player ever to score a hatrick in a final and end up on the losing side. He wasn't popular because Ned broke up the Gordon, o'Rourke partnership.

sambajustice
21-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Was that the 1-0 game?

If so I've got highlights on video tape. Somewhere...

heretoday
21-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Turnbull's team broke up too soon. It's one of the abiding clichés of Scottish football. To have won only the League Cup was a shame. But that's Hibs.

Ronniekirk
21-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Was a teenager and the rain didnt bother me high up in the old east terrace Remember being gutted at the Leeds game when Stanton missed the penalty

KazHibby
21-08-2016, 10:33 PM
1975: how times changes, and what a great Liverpool side it was. Auld yins, were you there on that great night? Magnificent Hibs kit, tae.

Enclosure in front of the stand. can't believe now what was achieved in these days!

The Harp
21-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Pat was clearly the scapegoat after we’d been emptied out the league cup by Montrose (some things never change eh).:rolleyes: I was at the game at ER and travelled down to the 2nd leg with my late wife as my fitba pals couldn’t make the game.
Taking a 1-0 lead into the game and being 1-0 up at h/t (2-0 on agg), it was party time for the huge Hibs travelling support at Anfield. My dad was a Scouser and an Everton fan so I was on a high until that git Toshack ruined our night by notching a hat-trick.:grr: Still maintain we wouldn't have lost the tie if Pat had been playing.
The only small consolation was we out-sung the Kop that night and took more fans down there than they brought up to Edinburgh.

NAE NOOKIE
22-08-2016, 12:54 AM

ggtth

I wasn't there mate, but your memory is playing tricks, the crowd was about 20,000. Thinking of folk standing in the pissing rain that night I always wonder what the old Easter Road would have been like if Hibs had ever found the money to cover the East Terracing as it existed before it was reduced in size, what an atmosphere Easter Road would have had.

Hibby Gav
22-08-2016, 01:16 AM
I wasn't there mate, but your memory is playing tricks, the crowd was about 20,000. Thinking of folk standing in the pissing rain that night I always wonder what the old Easter Road would have been like if Hibs had ever found the money to cover the East Terracing as it existed before it was reduced in size, what an atmosphere Easter Road would have had.

Yeah mate...obviously the water effected my noggin...!

i loved that old terracing though.......

ggtth

mjhibby
22-08-2016, 02:56 AM
Yeah mate...obviously the water effected my noggin...!

i loved that old terracing though.......

ggtth

Got absolutely drenched. Took nights like that and sporting Lisbon 6-1 for granted. If only jb had scored the penalty.

Cosmic Truth
22-08-2016, 05:22 AM
That Harper wasn't a bad goal scorer, he must be the only Hibs player ever to score a hatrick in a final and end up on the losing side. He wasn't popular because Ned broke up the Gordon, o'Rourke partnership.

In my opinion. Joe Harper was a cracking player, and a tremendous goalscorer.

PeeJay
22-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Those were the days heading down to ER to see us against the mighty Liverpool - Horrible weather, soaked to the skin, a great game, superb goal by Harper, some missed chances - feeling we could still take Liverpool away, even with a slim lead - plus, that bloody annoying song their fans sung from the relative dryness of the Shed - "LIV - ERP - OOL - LIVERPOOL ... could it have been to that old classic: the "Banana Splits" melody?

eezyrider
22-08-2016, 07:14 AM
And to think that if John Brownlie had scored that penalty in the first leg we would have gone through on away goals :agree:

EZ

HibbyDave
22-08-2016, 07:34 AM
I went to both games. Also went to Leeds home and away.

LoaningCrHibbie
22-08-2016, 07:43 AM
1st Leg: According to the Edinburgh Evening News the attendance at Easter Road was 19,219 on a night of non-stop rain.

Hibs penalty in the first leg came about after Arthur Duncan was tripped in the box.

John Brownlie intended to smash it, changed his mind and sidefooted a shot that Ray Clemence knocked out and quickly gathered.

Liverpool claimed that their disallowed second half goal at Easter Road by Phil Neal should have stood, but the TV film proved the referee was correct to accept the lineman's offside decision.

2nd Leg: Stewart Brown of the Edinburgh Evening News said this about Pat Stanton's absence in the second leg at Anfield "Pat Stanton took no part in the game,which he watched from the bench and it can be argued that his experience might have been valuable in those worrying minutes immediately after the interval. I do believe his height would have been helpful in a defensive capacity.

Hibs used no substitutes in the 2nd leg.

LoaningCrHibbie
22-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Pat was clearly the scapegoat after we’d been emptied out the league cup by Montrose (some things never change eh).:rolleyes: I was at the game at ER and travelled down to the 2nd leg with my late wife as my fitba pals couldn’t make the game.
Taking a 1-0 lead into the game and being 1-0 up at h/t (2-0 on agg), it was party time for the huge Hibs travelling support at Anfield. My dad was a Scouser and an Everton fan so I was on a high until that git Toshack ruined our night by notching a hat-trick.:grr: Still maintain we wouldn't have lost the tie if Pat had been playing.
The only small consolation was we out-sung the Kop that night and took more fans down there than they brought up to Edinburgh.

Unfortunately Hibs did'nt score first in the 2nd leg at Anfield.

John Toshack scored on 21 mins...then Alec Edwards equalised to make the score 1-1 on the night but 2-1 to Hibs on aggregate...

then Toshack scored twice more on 54 and 64 mins.

I agree that things might have been different if Pat Stanton had played? I was there that night and was proud of Hibs performance.

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Yes I was there in the old North Stand with my old man and my brother.

Going to see Hibs in those days was an absolute joy.

They were brilliant to watch played great football and could score from anywhere.

Some fabulous European nights.

Its so sad the way Sky money has ruined British Football by giving the English game so much money.

I wonder though if Scottish football would still be lagging miles behind English football anyway as we have stopped producing top players. ( to be fair England have largely as well)

In those days most of the top English sides has a nucleus of top Scottish players who were the backbone of their team and if not world class ( some were) were certainly European class.

I cant think of the top of my head of one current Scottish players I would afford that accolade to at the moment or one who is playing for a top English side.

oldbutdim
22-08-2016, 09:02 AM
I bought a car for £90 the day before and travelled down with some pals..........

Blew a tyre on the motorway which actually burst into flames. Fair to say wit was a bit of a clunker.....
The guy at the B&B we stayed had to get his toolbox out and reset the points/claen the plugs in order to get rid of us afterwards.
Had a great night in the clubs though - the local girls were very friendly, the local lads not so much.

Quite a lot of them were wearing Rangers colours at the game I remember.
:confused:

California-Hibs
22-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Hearts almost done it just a couple of years ago! 0-1 at Anfield before a a Suarez strike in the 88th made it 1-1!

Couldn't quite believe what I was watching that night, in a competitive game aswel!!

Hamish
22-08-2016, 09:26 AM
In my opinion. Joe Harper was a cracking player, and a tremendous goalscorer.

Doddie, Doddie where are you?😊

BullsCloseHibs
22-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Love the goal celebration :greengrin

JimBHibees
22-08-2016, 04:01 PM

I see the lines were washed away by the rain. Pity Onion missed that second half pen. Can remember another game v Liverpool where there was a huge crowd at it think over 40k and Toshack scored the only goal I think.

LoaningCrHibbie
22-08-2016, 04:19 PM
I see the lines were washed away by the rain. Pity Onion missed that second half pen. Can remember another game v Liverpool where there was a huge crowd at it think over 40k and Toshack scored the only goal I think.

Hibs lost 1-0 at Easter Road on the 9th Dec 1970 Toshack scoring in the 75th min.

Both the Daily Express and the Daily Record suggest that Kenny Davidson was fouled in the box in the 5th min and that Hibs should have had a penalty. Not only that but Hibs had an Arthur Duncan header chalked off as the referee indicated Joe McBride had fouled Ray Clemence.

The Express gave the crowd as 30,296

Finn2015
22-08-2016, 04:26 PM
For those that were there, did Liverpool bring many to Easter road?

ancient hibee
22-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Don't believe some of the attendance figures.They were supplied by the club who were notorious from the early 50s onwards for undercounting.Turnstile 32 was called Harry Swan's gate.

Kato
22-08-2016, 04:57 PM

Around 2000, some tastiness behind the Waverley post match.

fat freddy
22-08-2016, 04:59 PM

They brought an uninspiring crowd to Easter Rd for the 1975 encounter. I was a young lad who paid attention to such things and I remember a load of Eddie Turnbull Soccer Hooligans getting in amongst the drenched Liverpool fans in the Dunbar End, it didn't end well for the useless Hibs Hooligans as they were scattered by the Scousers in a brief skirmish before the game kicked off ( it could have been half time) I watched it all from under my big bruv's brolly on the main terracing. Still gutted about the Brownlie penalty miss...

Big L
22-08-2016, 05:11 PM
They brought an uninspiring crowd to Easter Rd for the 1975 encounter. I was a young lad who paid attention to such things and I remember a load of Eddie Turnbull Soccer Hooligans getting in amongst the drenched Liverpool fans in the Dunbar End, it didn't end well for the useless Hibs Hooligans as they were scattered by the Scousers in a brief skirmish before the game kicked off ( it could have been half time) I watched it all from under my big bruv's brolly on the main terracing. Still gutted about the Brownlie penalty miss...

Theirs no such thing as an " Eddie Turnbull soccer hooligan " and I don't remember any trouble at all!

emerald green
22-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Don't believe some of the attendance figures.They were supplied by the club who were notorious from the early 50s onwards for undercounting.Turnstile 32 was called Harry Swan's gate.

:agree: I was standing quite high up on the East Terracing that night, and it's hard to believe the attendance was only around 20,000. Even looking at those pictures it looks clear the East terracing was quite full.

Also, in those days, lots of youngsters were lifted over the turnstyles at matches.

MM19
22-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Those were the days heading down to ER to see us against the mighty Liverpool - Horrible weather, soaked to the skin, a great game, superb goal by Harper, some missed chances - feeling we could still take Liverpool away, even with a slim lead - plus, that bloody annoying song their fans sung from the relative dryness of the Shed - "LIV - ERP - OOL - LIVERPOOL ... could it have been to that old classic: the "Banana Splits" melody?

I was there for the two games with my husband. I think the Hibs fans ended up with the "Banana Splits" song after that game. We went to the Hibs club before the game and one of their supporter had a Kevin Keegan walks on water t-shirt on. Everybody who came in said he would have to the night.

I remember Brownlie missing the penalty too.

We were also at the Leeds home and away games. I'm sure Tony Higgins missed a sitter at Eland Road which would have put us through.

Risboro Hibby
22-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Still remember walking to the match turning off London Road into Hillside Crescent and this Scouser skinhead with the Crombie Coat and boots spotted me, and started acting the hard man. Thank God I could run fast in those days. Great performance by Hibs that night. Was at the Leeds game as well. Halcyon days when we could compete with the best of England and Europe. Sky and TV big money ruined the game nowadays

snedzuk
22-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Was at both games - I think the first game was not that long after the 5-1 england / scotland game (Stewart Kennedy notionally in goal) and I remember a corner to Liverpool and hibbys doing a ‘Keeganwants his mammy’ chant (after some press story about Keegan and his mum) withhim coming over and giving us the ‘5 – 1’ on his fingers – (that result killed us asa country).

At the return leg after the game there was some trouble anda couple of stabbings and me and a chap I was with (Ian – if you are on thisforum then apologies I cannot recall your surname) – as pretty frightened ‘laddies’at the ages of 16 and 18 - were approached by two plain clothes polis. We hadn’tdone anything (honest) and instead of what we feared, they took us about twostreets away, signed us into a police club and said ‘youll be alright in hereuntil its time for your bus to leave’.

pennyhibee
22-08-2016, 06:21 PM

I think I can remember a fair few of them making their way through the east terrace and takig over the shed. I think it was Peter Thompson who was unplayable that night ,maybe Ian Callaghan Was A Long time ago Saw the dj John Peel at the game

stantonsboots
22-08-2016, 06:25 PM

https://youtu.be/S6aFDyKlD50missed it I was at school camp! and to add insult to injury the boy on the bottom bunk was john Robertson the jambo

Hillsidehibby
22-08-2016, 06:33 PM
I think I can remember a fair few of them making their way through the east terrace and takig over the shed. I think it was Peter Thompson who was unplayable that night ,maybe Ian Callaghan Was A Long time ago Saw the dj John Peel at the game

Thompson and Callaghan.... were they not playing in the 1970 Fairs Cup tie?

bookert
22-08-2016, 06:35 PM

I was there and at the second leg.

Big L
22-08-2016, 06:38 PM
I was lucky enuff to have been at the euro games between Hibs and Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sporting Lisbon Liverpool and Leeds home and away but the one I remember most was the Napoli game. We were 4-1 down from the 1st leg. Old Shankly came of the plane and said " we will go thru" everone laughed, he was right.Every time I see Bobby Duncans opener in my minds Eye he gets further and further away from the goal. I'm sure he was in his own half when he lamped the opener over Dino Zoff head in to the net. I'm sure at one stage Zoff threw a ball out and hit Stein on the back of the head, he turned round and hit it in the net, what another amazing Euro nite!!

Cheshire Hibby
22-08-2016, 06:54 PM

My memory of this game is also that song and I also have a recollection of bags of old (pre decimal) pennies being thrown at Hibs fans by the Liverpool fans. Great to see the goal again. Also attended the Sporting Libson and FC Besa demolitions as well as the Hadjuk Split game in a season where the Tornadoes could and possibly should have made the final. We more than held our own with Leeds over two legs when we played them in the 70's but lost out on penalties. I have a recollection from that night of Billy Bremner giving the Hibee fans the "Harvey Smiths" at the end. Great nights indeed and hopefully soon to return to ER.

pennyhibee
22-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Thompson and Callaghan.... were they not playing in the 1970 Fairs Cup tie?
Yes ,that's right My reply was to someone asking about that particular game

Hillsidehibby
22-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Yes ,that's right My reply was to someone asking about that particular game

I seem to remember that the Liverpool support was boosted by a number of the maroon persuasion.

Some things never change. This probably kicked off the "special relationship" they have with them.

Hibernia&Alba
22-08-2016, 08:20 PM
I seem to remember that the Liverpool support was boosted by a number of the maroon persuasion.

Some things never change. This probably kicked off the "special relationship" they have with them.

So those weirdos were obsessed with Hibs back in the seventies!

Hillsidehibby
22-08-2016, 08:24 PM
So those weirdos were obsessed with Hibs back in the seventies!

Absolutely. It made a change from the highs of the Texaco cup

Jonnyboy
22-08-2016, 08:30 PM

An Evertonian, mind :wink:

SuperAllyMcleod
22-08-2016, 08:36 PM
There as a ten year old - remember the goal and Keegan taking corners. Other than that, I remember getting home and dry just in time for the highlights on the telly.

Scouse Hibee
23-08-2016, 02:50 PM

We don't, we won't, we never have done and never will IS THAT CLEAR ? :grr:

NAE NOOKIE
23-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Dinnae panic mate ...... any idea of the Yams having a 'special relationship' with Liverpool is clearly one sided and born out their clear obsession to be seen kissing the arse of their betters :greengrin

MM19
23-08-2016, 03:04 PM

The first time we played Liverpool at Anfield there was a crowd of Everton fans you were there to cheer us.

Franck Stanton
23-08-2016, 05:44 PM

Yip, at both games, remember at half time at Annfield the big hit of the day "Ulma Paloma Blanka" was played and all the Hibbies dancing around to it. Agree re the logic that if Pat was playing we would have made next round.

hibeg
23-08-2016, 05:52 PM
I was lucky enuff to have been at the euro games between Hibs and Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sporting Lisbon Liverpool and Leeds home and away but the one I remember most was the Napoli game. We were 4-1 down from the 1st leg. Old Shankly came of the plane and said " we will go thru" everone laughed, he was right.Every time I see Bobby Duncans opener in my minds Eye he gets further and further away from the goal. I'm sure he was in his own half when he lamped the opener over Dino Zoff head in to the net. I'm sure at one stage Zoff threw a ball out and hit Stein on the back of the head, he turned round and hit it in the net, what another amazing Euro nite!!

Sorry to be pedantic but the Real Madrid game was a friendly not a European match :thumbsup:

Franck Stanton
23-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Theirs no such thing as an " Eddie Turnbull soccer hooligan " and I don't remember any trouble at all!

Cant say I remember much/if any inside the ground during the game, however after the final whistle a lot of the hibs guys were standing at the top of St Clair Street and bombarding the Liverpool supporters with a variety of missiles as they came down the steps.

ancient hibee
23-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Sorry to be pedantic but the Real Madrid game was a friendly not a European match :thumbsup:

To be equally pedantic I think a match against a European club is a European match whether or not it is a friendly.European has become lazy shorthand for competitive match in a European competition.:greengrin
I should say that the admission to the terracing was six bob-by far the highest price ever.
Real may have played a few friendlies but they sure didn't like to lose any of them.

Hillsidehibby
23-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Calm down, calm down.

Finn2015
23-08-2016, 08:28 PM

No can you explain more please 🤔😂

IberianHibernian
23-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Was at both Liverpool home games . In 1970 crowd was about 30,000 which was probably disappointing at time but we had made a bad start in league . About 1,000 Liverpool fans in the Cave . In 1975 , crowd was much smaller ( just below 20,000 I think ) because of terrible weather ( worst rain I remember at ER at a time when only about 6,000 fans between old stand and Cave were covered ) and high prices ( pretty sure there were protests about charging 4 pounds for stand which then sold out cause of terrible weather ) and smaller away support ( a couple of hundred at Dunbar End ) .

Hibbyradge
23-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Was at both Liverpool home games . In 1970 crowd was about 30,000 which was probably disappointing at time but we had made a bad start in league . About 1,000 Liverpool fans in the Cave . In 1975 , crowd was much smaller ( just below 20,000 I think ) because of terrible weather ( worst rain I remember at ER at a time when only about 6,000 fans between old stand and Cave were covered ) and high prices ( pretty sure there were protests about charging 4 pounds for stand which then sold out cause of terrible weather ) and smaller away support ( a couple of hundred at Dunbar End ) .

Yeah, there were 19000 at the game, most of us soaking wet!

ballengeich
23-08-2016, 10:31 PM

I was at both games. Bring back the days when we're playing in Europe and an attendance under 20 thousand is disappointing.