PDA

View Full Version : Alex Salmond, Nelson Mandela & Hands Off Hibs

Chuck D
20-08-2016, 07:01 AM
Apologies if already posted but I've just noticed this on the BBC website from earlier in the month:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p043lxnn

lucky
20-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Can't remember Salmond being involved in the HoH campaign but it's still a decent wee story

Scottie
20-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Enjoyed watching that considering he's a Yam :greengrin

Enough said
20-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Remember salmond involved

--------
20-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Can't remember Salmond being involved in the HoH campaign but it's still a decent wee story

Nor can I. I smell political BS.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-08-2016, 04:55 PM

Brog can advise.

On the thread revisiting those fateful days he recounted the story of the petition (I don't recall it being lost - but being "boosted" - nor did the scally political opportunist feature). Not to say it didn't happen. Let's see...

cabbageandribs1875
20-08-2016, 05:03 PM
well done eck salmond :aok:

the programme is on bbc1 on thursday night btw

brog
20-08-2016, 05:15 PM

He was there at Downing St along with, as he says, Jim Sillars & George Foulkes but the star of the piece was Gavin Strang. Because of the Mandela meeting running late the officials tried to cancel our appointment. Gavin advised the policeman in somewhat industrial language what would happen if we didn't get in & we duly proceeded.
Other parts of his story are almost true. The petition, just a front sheet, got lost on the BA plane taking it to London. Kenny McLean faxed a copy to my office where I got it laminated etc & we then rushed to Downing St. The night before, the EN wanted pics of the petition so I got a box loaded with computer paper for the pics which appeared as if live the next day. We were never at any stage at Alex S' office. The chant by the ANC supporters happened but I was the one who went over to talk to them as we were waiting. I got them to wave their green & black scarves & chant "Nelson Mandela says Hands Off Hibs". I will always give him, & George Foulkes great credit for supporting us but Alex S has somewhat exaggerated his part, he is of course a politician, in that crazy day.

northstandhibby
20-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Enjoyed watching that considering he's a Yam :greengrin

Got to admit Salmond has gone up in my estimation after watching that. I like the vast majority had no idea he had involved himself. It's a fascinating story he told and very funny when he mentioned the ANC supporters outside No 10 waiting for Nelson Mandela had begun chanting ''Hands Off HIbs''.

A brilliant story. Well done Salmond.

:thumbsup:

barcahibs
20-08-2016, 09:51 PM

I think it sort of did, but Salmond, as is typical of most yams has a massively inflated sense of his own importance and only the sketchiest connection with the historical facts.

I'm convinced it's a yam trait, they remember events in the past happening as they'd have liked them to happen, rather than what actually transpired.

Its the same root as the narrative that has somehow cast them as loveable footballing martyrs who resurrected their club (which had done nothing wrong and definitely hadn't ripped off any charities) after poor loveable Mr Romanov (who they'd all suspected was at it all along) had made a couple of tiny mistakes with his tax returns (which, just to reiterate, definitely didn't cost the taxpayer, small businesses, individuals or charities any money).

Its probably genetic. You've got to remember they swim in a very shallow gene pool, these effects are all magnified.

The story I've heard is that a Hibs fan bumped into Salmond on the tube in London and asked him to sign the petition. Salmond sensed an easy political opportunity and grabbed it but it wasn't something he did unprompted. A lot of yams like to 'remember' that they were backing HoH back then.

Its definitely true that Mandela was a Hibby though, big Mickey Weir fan I believe, though to be fair, who wasn't?

Mibbes Aye
20-08-2016, 10:26 PM
I think it sort of did, but Salmond, as is typical of most yams has a massively inflated sense of his own importance and only the sketchiest connection with the historical facts.

I'm convinced it's a yam trait, they remember events in the past happening as they'd have liked them to happen, rather than what actually transpired.

Its the same root as the narrative that has somehow cast them as loveable footballing martyrs who resurrected their club (which had done nothing wrong and definitely hadn't ripped off any charities) after poor loveable Mr Romanov (who they'd all suspected was at it all along) had made a couple of tiny mistakes with his tax returns (which, just to reiterate, definitely didn't cost the taxpayer, small businesses, individuals or charities any money).

Its probably genetic. You've got to remember they swim in a very shallow gene pool, these effects are all magnified.

The story I've heard is that a Hibs fan bumped into Salmond on the tube in London and asked him to sign the petition. Salmond sensed an easy political opportunity and grabbed it but it wasn't something he did unprompted. A lot of yams like to 'remember' that they were backing HoH back then.

Its definitely true that Mandela was a Hibby though, big Mickey Weir fan I believe, though to be fair, who wasn't?

People believe that Mandela's proudest moment was witnessing a mixed home team lift the Rugby World Cup in a South Africa finally free of the yoke of apartheid.

Reality was he did enjoy it but it was always a distant second for him, compared to Mickey's orchestrating of the Skol Cup Final win.

Northernhibee
20-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Fat Eck deviates from the truth to make himself look good? Who'd ever have thought that? :rolleyes:

barcahibs
21-08-2016, 06:21 AM
People believe that Mandela's proudest moment was witnessing a mixed home team lift the Rugby World Cup in a South Africa finally free of the yoke of apartheid.

Reality was he did enjoy it but it was always a distant second for him, compared to Mickey's orchestrating of the Skol Cup Final win.

I mind him at the Anderlecht game at Easter Road when wee Mickey got sent off. Nelson was in floods of tears, he kept saying "this is the greatest injustice perpetrated against a people in Human history". And it's hard to argue with him, it was a terrible decision from the ref.

That's the reason he switched to following the rugby.

Spike Mandela
21-08-2016, 07:05 AM
I was at an event a year or two ago where Alex Salmond was talking and taking a q& a from the crowd.

Of course some 'wit' from the crowd asked a question which invited Salmond to have a laugh at Hibs expense and a wee gloat about the 5-1. Salmond never took the bait. It wasn't a political event, he didn't really have to be guarded but instead Alex relayed the Hands off Hibs story and was very respectful of Hibs.

jacomo
21-08-2016, 07:23 AM
I was at an event a year or two ago where Alex Salmond was talking and taking a q& a from the crowd.

Of course some 'wit' from the crowd asked a question which invited Salmond to have a laugh at Hibs expense and a wee gloat about the 5-1. Salmond never took the bait. It wasn't a political event, he didn't really have to be guarded but instead Alex relayed the Hands off Hibs story and was very respectful of Hibs.

Maybe he secretly wishes he was a Hibby?

Hibbyradge
21-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Fat Eck deviates from the truth to make himself look good? Who'd ever have thought that? :rolleyes:

I've certainly never exaggerated a story to make it sound better, ever, and I'm sure you haven't either.

Northernhibee
21-08-2016, 08:08 AM
I've certainly never exaggerated a story to make it sound better, ever, and I'm sure you haven't either.

Neither of us are paid very handsomely to represent the people of this country though? Putting this boards sycophancy towards all things Tartan Tory aside, he's trying to piggyback off the fantastic work of Hands off Hibs - not cool.

heretoday
21-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Keep politicians away from football.

Northernhibee
21-08-2016, 08:41 AM

This

Jack
21-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Maybe he secretly wishes he was a Hibby?

Don't they all?

superfurryhibby
21-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Neither of us are paid very handsomely to represent the people of this country though? Putting this boards sycophancy towards all things Tartan Tory aside, he's trying to piggyback off the fantastic work of Hands off Hibs - not cool.

Such utter nonsense you spratheth. Why bother?

jdships
21-08-2016, 08:54 AM
During the " campaign" I was involved quite a bit behind the scenes thro' my job at the time and a great deal of lobbying of " well kent faces" went on.
I know of at least a dozen " personalities " who were approached to put their weight behind " HofH" .
Salmond being one of them I certainly never heard of it being "off his own bat" , so to speak.
In the situation which prevailed we were appealing to any/everyone to " stand up and be counted "
:flag:

#FromTheCapital

Agree 100%

Who remembers Salmond posing for pics outside Tynecastle when he bought a season ticket around the time they went bust? Very noble of him publicly supporting a team who had just bumped loads of local businesses, charities and taxpayers out of fortunes. Literally that same week, he spoke out against a golf club that wasn't allowing female members and said he was going to boycott them on those grounds. Political hypocrisy at its finest.

Colr

I recall that he was.

Northernhibee
21-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Such utter nonsense you spratheth. Why bother?

Because not all of us are fooled by the Tartan Tories ;)

Colr
21-08-2016, 08:59 AM
I mind him at the Anderlecht game at Easter Road when wee Mickey got sent off. Nelson was in floods of tears, he kept saying "this is the greatest injustice perpetrated against a people in Human history". And it's hard to argue with him, it was a terrible decision from the ref.

Quite right. How can someone the size of Mickey Weir be accused of having his boot too high?

Danderhall Hibs
21-08-2016, 09:00 AM

:hilarious

superfurryhibby
21-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Because not all of us are fooled by the Tartan Tories ;)

Indeed, but not all of the Labour Party were/are Tories in disguise!

Finn2015
21-08-2016, 09:35 AM
I have to say Salmond comes across as being quite decent in this

Lago
21-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Yip, not exactly known for self promotion:confused:

SouthMoroccoStu
21-08-2016, 09:58 AM

Margo MacDonald was alright :wink:

snooky
21-08-2016, 11:35 AM

Maybe so, but name a politician who doesn't.

hhibs
21-08-2016, 11:42 AM

Tartan Tory,I smell red tory.....

High-On-Hibs
21-08-2016, 11:49 AM

If he gets under your skin so much, then he can't be all that bad.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02611/cameron-andy-murra_2611352b.jpg

vuefrom1875
21-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Big ba face always looking to get his mush in! ERSE!!

greenpaper55
21-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Remember Eck allegedly had a phone call with his Lithuanian counterpart to make sure that Hearts walked away without any debt from the Ukio fiasco !

Lago
21-08-2016, 01:15 PM
:top marks
Big ba face always looking to get his mush in! ERSE!!

SouthMoroccoStu
21-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Remember Eck allegedly had a phone call with his Lithuanian counterpart to make sure that Hearts walked away without any debt from the Ukio fiasco !

Abuse of powers much? :rolleyes:

brog
21-08-2016, 04:09 PM
During the " campaign" I was involved quite a bit behind the scenes thro' my job at the time and a great deal of lobbying of " well kent faces" went on.
I know of at least a dozen " personalities " who were approached to put their weight behind " HofH" .
Salmond being one of them I certainly never heard of it being "off his own bat" , so to speak.
In the situation which prevailed we were appealing to any/everyone to " stand up and be counted "
:flag:

From memory I'm pretty sure that both Salmond & Foulkes spoke out against the so called merger as did most politicians of a left persuasion. S & F got more attention because they were notable Yams but I don't believe they had any other involvement in the campaign until they went with us to Downing St. Again, I remain hugely grateful for their contribution, limited though it was.

ronaldo7
21-08-2016, 04:13 PM

:tee hee: