19-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Retired from international duty.

blaikie
19-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Big loss imo

Centre Hawf
19-08-2016, 08:56 AM

I knew his time was coming close just by watching him. But I didn't think it was that close. I suppose if he feels he cant finish the qualifying campaign why start it?

Shearer
He's been crap for Scotland for years so this is welcome news

Ronniekirk

Right decision to try and prolong club career given his injuries

Hiber-nation
19-08-2016, 08:58 AM

Definitely. He's back on form and I suppose he doesn't want to push himself too hard. Gives Super John McGinn a chance as well.

pacoluna
19-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Never understood players retiring from international football. If your good enough and selected you should play, to represent your country is the ultimate honor in football.

marinello59
19-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Never understood players retiring from international football. If your good enough and selected you should play, to represent your country is the ultimate honor in football.

Playing for Hibs would have been the ultimate honour for me.

Iceman1875
19-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Always liked Scott and I respect his decision

At Easter Road we play...

Frazerbob
19-08-2016, 09:19 AM
I can understand him chucking it to prolong his club career. He's not exactly had an easy ride with injuries. However, two weeks before a new campaign kicks off?

Billy McKirdy
19-08-2016, 09:34 AM

With you on that one. representing your country should be the ultimate honour followed closely by the tram you've supported all your life.

Our country doesn't have too many top class players like Brown who on his day is a class above.

jacomo
19-08-2016, 09:38 AM
I can understand him chucking it to prolong his club career. He's not exactly had an easy ride with injuries. However, two weeks before a new campaign kicks off?

He may well have discussed with Strachan a while ago. No big deal I think.

As you get into your 30s recovery time can take longer. It's not just international fixtures but all the travel involved too. I can understand Scott wanting to retire.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-08-2016, 09:45 AM
It is up to him and leaves the door open for others. This is a respectful way to do it I think. Plenty of others have made their wishes clear not to be selected but not shown as much tact.
On the subject of him not being at his best for Scotland for a while, I would have said he hasn't been at his best since he left us for Celtc.
Recently re-watched the Ivan 0-3 game and watched him charging the length of the field with ball at his feet. Not sure I have seen that same drive and determination in the shade known as Lesser Green.

Brightside
19-08-2016, 09:51 AM

He's been rubbish at that level for a good few years. Well done for him seeing what the wee ginger can't.

SeanWilson
19-08-2016, 10:06 AM
He's been rubbish at that level for a good few years. Well done for him seeing what the wee ginger can't.

👍 Not seen him have a good game for a while. Time for change in the Scotland squad.

Stevie Reid
19-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Lots of players have managed to prolong their club careers - sometimes even take them to new levels - in their 30s by retiring from the rigours of international football. Gary McAllister is the best example I can think of, signed for Liverpool at the age of 35.

Frazerbob
19-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Step forward Super John McGinn.

Highland_Hibee
19-08-2016, 10:34 AM
He was back in form for Celtic in Europe the other night. It is a respectful decision before a campaign starts IMO. Gives someone like McGinn a platform to launch his Scotland career.

GreenCastle
19-08-2016, 10:50 AM
I can understand a player who plays nearly 12 months of the year using the rigours of international football line - Messi travelling around Spain / Europe and South America etc.

But let's face it Scotland are pants and have been for a long time - hence not qualified for a tournament since 1998 - 18 years..

Scotland qualifying group is an extra 10 games and 5 being at home in Glasgow and one in England !

If Celtic stopped playing meaningless friendlies Brown may have more rest time.

Think it's an easy excuse as he knows what's coming in he qualifying.

pacoluna
19-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Imagine giving up the chance to captain scotland when entering the lions den in front 0f 90,000 at Wembley!

One more qualification campaign would have done him no harm.

Jim44
19-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Maybe his time in the Celtic 1st team and captaincy of the club might be on the horizon. Some of the punters on KS have suggested that Liam Henderson might eventually take on the role.

snooky
19-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Nobody told me when I should retire.
It's up to Scott when he wants to - end of.

California-Hibs
19-08-2016, 12:05 PM
He's a very good player. Certain Hibs fans will let the fact that he plays for Celtic get in the way of that. He's been a good servant for Scotland and I've seen him play a heck of a lot of better games than worse!! People absolutely love to stick the boot into Scotland and Scottish players, even when the good results come around!

Fair play to you Mr Brown. Opens up the door to another leader.

heretoday
19-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Big deal.

KeithTheHibby
19-08-2016, 12:20 PM

Perhaps Celtic having european football till December will have helped make his mind up.

patlowe
19-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Had a feeling he might do this - you can't argue with the improved performances he has put in after allowing his body to rest over the summer. Whether you agree with the decision or not, all the evidence suggests that playing for Scotland will negatively impact on his club form, and potentially his longevity, at this stage of his career.

They said on the radio that Rodgers and Strachan were having a long chat following the Celtic match the other night. Three topics of conversation I'd imagine would have been Brown, Forrest (sigh) and Griffiths (hopefully).

G B Young
19-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Scotland as a whole, not just Scott Brown, should retire from international football. Or perhaps help to form a lower tier of international football tournaments featuring the also-rans of world football, a sort of 'B' level like the Irn Bru Cup which more accurately reflects our standing in the game. This could be used as a kind of feeder level for a UK team.

Having not qualified for a major tournament in two decades, we're at a stage when the majority of the tartan army won't have experienced Scotland playing at such an event so it's probably no longer that big a deal for most of them that we don't qualify as they still have plenty of away qualifiers to use as an excuse for a party. But at least by playing at a lower level we might actually have a chance of competing at a tournament proper rather than just endless, fruitless qualifying campaigns.

The saddest thing about Scotland is that when you look at how poor Euro 2016 was, we weren't even able to qualify for it despite them expanding the tournament to 24 teams. Let's face it, the other home nations were pretty awful too, despite Wales doing well (their success was largely down to the mediocrity of their opponents), and I maintain that the only way to achieve international success for this country is the formation of a UK team and UK-wide league system.

pacoluna
19-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Scotland as a whole, not just Scott Brown, should retire from international football. Or perhaps help to form a lower tier of international football tournaments featuring the also-rans of world football, a sort of 'B' level like the Irn Bru Cup which more accurately reflects our standing in the game. This could be used as a kind of feeder level for a UK team.

Having not qualified for a major tournament in two decades, we're at a stage when the majority of the tartan army won't have experienced Scotland playing at such an event so it's probably no longer that big a deal for most of them that we don't qualify as they still have plenty of away qualifiers to use as an excuse for a party. But at least by playing at a lower level we might actually have a chance of competing at a tournament proper rather than just endless, fruitless qualifying campaigns.

The saddest thing about Scotland is that when you look at how poor Euro 2016 was, we weren't even able to qualify for it despite them expanding the tournament to 24 teams. Let's face it, the other home nations were pretty awful too, despite Wales doing well (their success was largely down to the mediocrity of their opponents), and I maintain that the only way to achieve international success for this country is the formation of a UK team and UK-wide league system.
:troll:

Hibbyradge
19-08-2016, 12:43 PM
In a heartbeat.

Bring him home Neilly!

:hyper

Did I do that right?

California-Hibs
19-08-2016, 12:46 PM

Oh.Dear. You are everything that's wrong with the Scottish mentally. In a nutshell.

Phil MaGlass
19-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Im not very good at this internet stuff.but I take it troll means the same as twat.

Sergey
19-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Im not very good at this internet stuff.but I take it troll means the same as twat.

No - I've been awarded a black-belt in both disciplines and believe me that there are a number of nuances.

cabbageandribs1875
19-08-2016, 01:42 PM

fool

CropleyWasGod
19-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Did you notice that, in Euro16, all of the teams in Scotland's group....from which we were very close to qualifying. ....made it to the next stage? Poland, with whom we drew twice, made it to the quarters.
We're not as bad as you make out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mr White
19-08-2016, 02:29 PM
the other home nations were pretty awful too,

Wales got to the semi finals and Northern Ireland qualified from a group containing germany poland and ukraine. To extend it to the British isles, ROI beat Italy to qualify for the knock out stages so the only team who didn't exceed pre tournament expectation was England.

Btw Scotland had the toughest draw in qualifying but don't let facts get in the way here.

aarsan
19-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Thought he retired about 2 years ago

Phil MaGlass
19-08-2016, 02:41 PM

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Thought he retired about 2 years ago

Retired when he left Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2016, 02:44 PM

You were doing reasonably well till the end paragraph. Now way would Wales and NI consent to carrying the lame ducks of Scotland and England.

Edson Arantes
19-08-2016, 02:50 PM

:top marks Completely agree with this.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 04:42 PM
You were doing reasonably well till the end paragraph. Now way would Wales and NI consent to carrying the lame ducks of Scotland and England.

I contend that neither are up to much either. The game between the pair during the Euros was abysmal. Yes they're significantly better than Scotland but that's not hard.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Did you notice that, in Euro16, all of the teams in Scotland's group....from which we were very close to qualifying. ....made it to the next stage? Poland, with whom we drew twice, made it to the quarters.
We're not as bad as you make out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

We weren't 'very close' to qualifying. We finished fourth, not even in a play-off spot. We won only two games that actually mattered. The turkey shoots against Gibraltar were academic.

Too many are keen to cling to the 'oh but we had a tough group' excuse as though we were in some way unlucky to have been drawn in that group. The reason we were in there was the legacy of many years of failure to qualify from far easier groups, hence our fourth pot status, so it doesn't wash to claim we were unlucky.

International football is vastly overrated in terms of its quality. The way we continue to laud Scotland performances which are ultimately meaningless is why we have been an international backwater for so many years. A case in point will be when the World Cup qualifiers against England come around and they wheel out Craig Brown to eulogise over the legendary Don Hutchison Wembley 'win' which actually turned out to be a consolation goal in a tie which had been lost at Hampden.

I stand by my contention that a UK team would be a far more sensible way forward. Who can deny it's been great so see what Team GB have achieved in Rio?

JimBHibees
19-08-2016, 05:05 PM
We weren't 'very close' to qualifying. We finished fourth, not even in a play-off spot. We won only two games that actually mattered. The turkey shoots against Gibraltar were academic.

Too many are keen to cling to the 'oh but we had a tough group' excuse as though we were in some way unlucky to have been drawn in that group. The reason we were in there was the legacy of many years of failure to qualify from far easier groups, hence our fourth pot status, so it doesn't wash to claim we were unlucky.

International football is vastly overrated in terms of its quality. The way we continue to laud Scotland performances which are ultimately meaningless is why we have been an international backwater for so many years. A case in point will be when the World Cup qualifiers against England come around and they wheel out Craig Brown to eulogise over the legendary Don Hutchison Wembley 'win' which actually turned out to be a consolation goal in a tie which had been lost at Hampden.

I stand by my contention that a UK team would be a far more sensible way forward. Who can deny it's been great so see what Team GB have achieved in Rio?

Jeezo we were very close to a play off. Ireland beating the world champions done us over. We blew it v Georgia but other games were good including taking 4 points from Ireland and drawing twice v Poland when we should have beat them at home.

Were you not the guy that went to a rugby game instead of a final. Apologies if you were not.

silverhibee
19-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Agree Ronnie, Strachan was just saying the other night that Brown has played a lot of games while carrying injuries/knocks at Celtc, so yes now is the right decision to call it a day for Scotland, Celtc come 1st for him and with champions league football group stages a possibility this season it would be to much football for him.

1875Sean
19-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Will be a loss for Scotland, Brendan Rogers defo had a word in his ear similar to Stevie G at Liverpool

MUPPET
19-08-2016, 05:26 PM

I must say that I totally agree with everything you say Scotland on the international stage has been a complete embarrassment for as long as I remember. Team GB all the way!

monktonharp
19-08-2016, 05:31 PM

The saddest thing about Scotland is that when you look at how poor Euro 2016 was, we weren't even able to qualify for it despite them expanding the tournament to 24 teams. Let's face it, the other home nations were pretty awful too, despite Wales doing well (their success was largely down to the mediocrity of their opponents), and I maintain that the only way to achieve international success for this country is the formation of a UK team and UK-wide league system.you certainly gave it some thought, to pick your avatar and the picture in it, didn't you. no question of where your "loyalties" lye there then is there? you have just crucified Scotland, then equally derided Wales for being lucky to have met mediocrity.. England on the otherhand...................:na na:

Radium
19-08-2016, 05:33 PM
My memory of the squads in the 70s & 80s was that if you were not going to be around for the World Cup (the euros didn't seem to mean much) you were dropped. Different era but meant that players coming through had a chance. It is a debate as to how Brown would have faired in those team but suspect it would not have been his choice.

Respect Brown's decision though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northstandhibby
19-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Scotty Brown must feel the time is right for him to call it a day with the Scotland team. The sad thing is who will replace such a mobile combative midfielder for the Scotland team. I can't think of anybody really who's coming through who could do a similar job but I could be wrong of course.

GGTTH

Mr White
19-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I stand by my contention that a UK team would be a far more sensible way forward.

Why stop there? We should combine the sports of association football and rugby union too. That way you'd never miss a cup final again. Win win :thumbsup:

G B Young
19-08-2016, 05:44 PM
you certainly gave it some thought, to pick your avatar and the picture in it, didn't you. no question of where your "loyalties" lye there then is there? you have just crucified Scotland, then equally derided Wales for being lucky to have met mediocrity.. England on the otherhand...................:na na:

England are an even bigger joke than Scotland in my view. They fall so far short on the big occasion it's pathetic. Which is why I think combining the home nations would at least give us a better chance of being competitive.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-08-2016, 05:45 PM
It's because the Rangers are back in the SPL according to Kevin Thomson.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Jeezo we were very close to a play off. Ireland beating the world champions done us over. We blew it v Georgia but other games were good including taking 4 points from Ireland and drawing twice v Poland when we should have beat them at home.

Were you not the guy that went to a rugby game instead of a final. Apologies if you were not.

Could have...should have...done over by an unexpected result elsewhere...it's the story of the Scotland football team and has been for many years. We can't keep blaming bad luck.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Why stop there? We should combine the sports of association football and rugby union too. That way you'd never miss a cup final again. Win win :thumbsup:

I'd suggest a UK team for rugby too were Scotland not actually competitive on the world stage when it comes to rugby.

Overall, when you look at events like the Ryder Cup, Davis Cup, summer and winter Olympics etc, the spectacle is far better when you can put out the strongest team possible and everyone gets behind them. It's been great, for example, to see Andy and Jamie Murray's key contribution to the Davis Cup (and of course Andy's legendary Olympic displays) while in the past some great Scottish golfers have been Ryder Cup stalwarts. It all generates a feelgood factor across the nation. Quite why we're so narrow minded about broadening our football horizons when Scotland are so saddled by failure is a question that is worth considering.

Mr White
19-08-2016, 06:11 PM
I'd suggest a UK team for rugby too were Scotland not actually competitive on the world stage when it comes to rugby.

Overall, when you look at events like the Ryder Cup, Davis Cup, summer and winter Olympics etc, the spectacle is far better when you can put out the strongest team possible and everyone gets behind them. It's been great, for example, to see Andy and Jamie Murray's key contribution to the Davis Cup (and of course Andy's legendary Olympic displays) while in the past some great Scottish golfers have been Ryder Cup stalwarts. It all generates a feelgood factor across the nation. Quite why we're so narrow minded about broadening our football horizons when Scotland are so saddled by failure is a question that is worth considering.

Wallace Mercer had a similar outlook regarding edinburgh football. Likewise with your suggestion here it was non-starter as for most supporters the emotional attachment to their team's identity is not something to be sacrificed in the pursuit of greater success.

CropleyWasGod
19-08-2016, 06:13 PM

Using your Ryder Cup example, does that not suggest that we should move to a Europe-wide team for all sports?

Or just in the ones where we're not very good?

Pete
19-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Using your Ryder Cup example, does that not suggest that we should move to a Europe-wide team for all sports?

The Euros in 2020 would be a very dull tournament.

CropleyWasGod
19-08-2016, 06:28 PM
The Euros in 2020 would be a very dull tournament.

We'd be guaranteed of winning it, though. :greengrin

Just think of the open-topped bus parade that day/week/month.

hhibs
19-08-2016, 06:34 PM

Agreed.

Keyser Sauzee
19-08-2016, 06:45 PM
England are an even bigger joke than Scotland in my view. They fall so far short on the big occasion it's pathetic. Which is why I think combining the home nations would at least give us a better chance of being competitive.

Would it be US tho? Did you see the 2012 Olympic team, I think there may have been a Scot in there but I can remember.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 06:55 PM
Would it be US tho? Did you see the 2012 Olympic team, I think there may have been a Scot in there but I can remember.

There were 54 Scots in the Olympic team for 2012. An all-time record. Hard to imagine you can't recall Hoy, Murray and Grainger for starters...

More than 50 in Rio as well.

Mr White
19-08-2016, 06:57 PM
There were 54 Scots in the Olympic team for 2012. An all-time record. Hard to imagine you can't recall Hoy, Murray and Grainger for starters...

He's referring to the GB football side of 2012. There were no scots. In fact I think gareth bale and craig bellamy were the only non-english representatives.

Edit- just checked and the 18 man squad consisted of 13 English and 5 welsh players.

Carheenlea
19-08-2016, 06:58 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but when I`ve been watching the Olympics, I`m watching and admiring individual athletes. Team GB and their collective medal haul doesn't really mean a lot to me. A GB international football team would mean even less.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 07:03 PM

The Ryder Cup's actually a good example of what can be achieved by widening the player pool. For decades it was just Britain & Ireland v the US, but it got to the stage where the Americans were pretty much winning every game. You just look at the what a massive event it's now become to see the right decision was made to amend the format. I think we might be surprised by how quickly we'd get used to a UK football team.

Keyser Sauzee
19-08-2016, 07:03 PM

You know fine well I was talking about the football but u chose to ignore it as it doesn't suit ur argument. We all know there would be no Scots in any side like that.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 07:05 PM
He's referring to the GB football side of 2012. There were no scots. In fact I think gareth bale and craig bellamy were the only non-english representatives.

That was down to the shallow minded attitude of the SFA who refused to sanction players to represent Team GB. Most Scottish footballers would have been honoured to play at the Olympics.

Mr White
19-08-2016, 07:06 PM
That was down to the shallow minded attitude of the SFA who refused to sanction players to represent Team GB. Most Scottish footballers would have been honoured to play at the Olympics.

Nope they relented and players were free to play if they wished, had they been selected. Stuart Pearce picked no scots or Northern irish players.

Kavinho
19-08-2016, 07:11 PM

You know nothing.

Back to Scott Brown.
All the very best to him.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Wallace Mercer had a similar outlook regarding edinburgh football. Likewise with your suggestion here it was non-starter as for most supporters the emotional attachment to their team's identity is not something to be sacrificed in the pursuit of greater success.

Club football's a different matter in my view. A club rooted in a community is a good thing, but the international stage is a wider one and it should be a stage for something a bit special.

Mr White
19-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Club football's a different matter in my view. A club rooted in a community is a good thing, but the international stage is wider one and is should be a stage for something a bit special.

Aye a UK team full of English players would be really special right enough.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Nope they relented and players were free to play if they wished, had they been selected. Stuart Pearce picked no scots or Northern irish players.

I stand corrected if that's the case. However, my overriding recollection is of the SFA making it clear to players they would not be favourably looked upon if they agreed to play for Team GB.

I've just had a look back at the squad for 2012 and I see Steven Fletcher and Barry Bannan were on the final shortlist before the squad was selected, with half a dozen Scots on the 'long list'. I see there were also a couple of Scots who played regularly in the women's team.

I actually attended games featuring both teams in 2012. I thought both were excellent experiences in front of 70,000 crowds and I had no problem getting behind the teams.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 07:27 PM
You know fine well I was talking about the football but u chose to ignore it as it doesn't suit ur argument. We all know there would be no Scots in any side like that.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the Olympic team in general.

No there might not be many Scots to start with in a UK football side (you can't pick poor players just to balance the quotas), but if we were at least open to the possibility we might see things change. A starting point would be to establish a UK league to add interest to a rather sterile club game and try to break down the closed-shop, blinkered mentality which still prevails among many of the tartan army.

Mr White
19-08-2016, 07:28 PM
I stand corrected if that's the case. However, my overriding recollection is of the SFA making it clear to players they would not be favourably looked upon if they agreed to play for Team GB.

I've now just had a look back at the squad for 2012 and I see Steven Fletcher and Barry Bannan were on the final shortlist before the squad was selected, with half a dozen Scots on the 'long list'. I see there were also a couple of Scots who played regularly in the women's team.

I actually attended games featuring both teams in 2012. I thought both were excellent experiences in front of 70,000 crowds and had no problem getting behind the teams.

Looked pretty pish on tv tbh. I'd rather watch scotland (or either of the Irelands for that matter) play a friendly match.

G B Young
19-08-2016, 07:55 PM
You know nothing.

Back to Scott Brown.
All the very best to him.

Thanks for that.

I'm not saying I'm right, just expressing an opinion. What would your solution be? After 20 years of failure we're surely well past the stage where we can just continue to haul on the kilt, timberland boots and glengarry hat and tell ourselves that as long as we remain the best fans in the world it's all OK.

Eyrie
19-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks for that.

I'm not saying I'm right, just expressing an opinion. What would your solution be? After 20 years of failure we're surely well past the stage where we can just continue to haul on the kilt, timberland boots and glengarry hat and tell ourselves that as long as we remain the best fans in the world it's all OK.

Maybe we should just abolish Scotland entirely then?

I have no interest in our national football team but find the idea that we should merge into a "Team GB" ridiculous.

Kavinho
19-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for that.

Fair enough, you are welcome to your opinion, but your opinion is nonsensical.

Iggy Pope
19-08-2016, 08:46 PM

I suppose, in a nutshell, that name, a failure in football management (pretty much a rank outsider in a playing career as well), would be a good enough reason to end this debate. Even if he did like Stiff Little Fingers.

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2016, 08:54 PM
I suppose, in a nutshell, that name, a failure in football management (pretty much a rank outsider in a playing career as well), would be a good enough reason to end this debate. Even if he did like Stiff Little Fingers.

He's not the only one, my girlfriend loves them too.

BoltonHibee
19-08-2016, 09:07 PM
[emoji23][emoji23]

jacomo
19-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Thanks for that.

Yes you are, and you're perfectly entitled to do so.

It's clear that plenty disagree with you but they don't need to be d**** about it.

Haymaker
20-08-2016, 07:14 AM
By creating a GB only side, we (the home nations) would lose control over the game. Many in world football want this to happen. It isn't a myth.

The 4 home nations keep football the way it is and should always be (roughly).

Haymaker
20-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Thanks for that.

The government, governing bodies and individual clubs sitting down to reorganise the game from the ground up. National funding for indoor pitches, cheaper courses and developing coaching as a legitimate career from the SFA and a willingness to produce local talent and give them a chance from individual clubs. That would help.

Allant1981
20-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Scott brown is still a good player, probably hasnt progressed the way we thought he would but he has won medals and plenty money so he will be happy, i dont think him retiring from international duty is going to be that big a let down as we have a good few players who can play that role and its maybe time to let the younger guys show how good they are

hibee-boys
20-08-2016, 08:09 AM
When he left Hibs I thought he would go onto play for a top premiership side, such an exciting raw talent when he broke through. No doubt that he has had a successful career however hasn't reached the heights I expected when he left us.

G B Young
20-08-2016, 06:58 PM

Fantastic band at their height. Bit of a cabaret act these days though I'd imagine? I recall their first reunion gig at the Barrowlands back in 1987 which was the night after a Pogues gig at the same venue. The Pogues gig was inevitably like being at a Celtic match, but SLF took to the stage with the band members wearing Celtic AND Rangers shirts. Both terrific gigs.

Nutmegged
20-08-2016, 10:38 PM

No it's not.

Matty_Jack04
21-08-2016, 05:07 AM
No it's not.

It should be, just another thing modern football and big business mentality has ruined, being selected as one of the best players your country has and having the chance to play with 10 others should be the biggest thing the game has to offer, to do it more than 50 times and captain your country it shouldn't get any bigger....but prolonging your club career is what it's all about now saw the same with James Milner down south, what worries me more is this Is the 2nd Celtic player in recent times to retire from international duty early commons being the other have Celtic planted the seed? Seems strange to me to retire now when you can play in 2 competitive games v England that doesn't come round often and no one would bat an eye at him retiring after this qualifying campaign

Niffy
21-08-2016, 05:23 AM
Fantastic band at their height. Bit of a cabaret act these days though I'd imagine? I recall their first reunion gig at the Barrowlands back in 1987 which was the night after a Pogues gig at the same venue. The Pogues gig was inevitably like being at a Celtic match, but SLF took to the stage with the band members wearing Celtic AND Rangers shirts. Both terrific gigs.

Our band supported SLF a few times at Barrowlands, HMV, Liquid Rooms and the one in Inverness (forget venue name) Ironmills or something ?

Good fun. Least they have 2 original members now.