PDA

View Full Version : (Greggs) Brian Graham

Pages : [1] 2

Heisenberg
18-08-2016, 06:45 AM
ScottBurns@ScottBurns75

@HibsOfficial keen on a move for @RCFCStaggies striker Brian Graham - after completing a move for Andrew Shinnie. See today's @ScotExpress

We were linked with him a couple of weeks ago but it died a bit. Interest still seems to be there, would be a good signing.

Finn2015
18-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Would be, dare we dream?

LancsHibs
18-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Come join the Hibees Brian, you know it makes sense👍

Finn2015
18-08-2016, 06:50 AM
Long term it does make sense for him. Of course, they are in the division we want to be in but there can be no doubt that we are a much bigger and high profile club so it is a move that makes sense surely for the player himself

Tom Hart RIP
18-08-2016, 06:54 AM
The player confirms that Hibs and County have been in talks in today's record

California-Hibs
18-08-2016, 06:55 AM
Can't say I've seen or know much of him at all? What kind of striker is he?

Callum_62
18-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Big hold up type - cover for Holt, or Holt cover for him

NUTTY PROFESSOR
18-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Big hold up type - cover for Holt, or Holt cover for him

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2006–2011 Greenock Morton 65 (10)
2008–2009 → East Stirlingshire (loan) 33 (15)
2011–2013 Raith Rovers 58 (29)
2013–2015 Dundee United 31 (6)
2014–2015 → St Johnstone (loan) 24 (9)
2015– Ross County 21 (5)

Michael
18-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Only 11 league starts for County? Seems a bit of a weird one.

MacGruber
18-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Delighted with Shinnie.
Graham isn't great - probably decent cover but would be disappointed if this is the striker we've been waiting on. Hoping for better - IMO

S4uzee
18-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Delighted with Shinnie.
Graham isn't great - probably decent cover but would be disappointed if this is the striker we've been waiting on. Hoping for better - IMO

Exactly how I see it

Billy Whizz
18-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Would cost a fee presumably, if he's under contract
Can't say I'm excited at this

Hamish
18-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Grant Murray would have been his manager at Raith for a time.

Heisenberg
18-08-2016, 07:41 AM
He'd score goals for fun in this division IMO. We seem to be chucking a lot more crosses into the box these days too which would suit him. I reckon he'd jump at the chance to join us too going by the article in the paper today.

Golden Bear
18-08-2016, 07:41 AM
He's a muckle lump of a player but at the same time he has skills and can be a real handful for opposing defenders. He's caused us problems in the past and I think he'd be a good signing as long as his visa problems can be sorted out before xmas.

:wink:

oneone73
18-08-2016, 07:43 AM
He'll do for me.

Jones28
18-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2006–2011 Greenock Morton 65 (10)
2008–2009 → East Stirlingshire (loan) 33 (15)
2011–2013 Raith Rovers 58 (29)
2013–2015 Dundee United 31 (6)
2014–2015 → St Johnstone (loan) 24 (9)
2015– Ross County 21 (5)

Decent enough record, especially when Cummings and (if given the chance) Keatings will score for fun.

The Captain....
18-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Been happy with our last two signings but I'm afraid I am not a fan of Graham. When we were first linked I actually thought he was still benchwarming at St Johnstone, he's made no impression on me at all in his career and IMO is not nearly good enough for us.

Be a huge disappointment if this is the forward we actually want. It strikes me as the kind of buy that got us in this division in the first place.

Please no Hibs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
18-08-2016, 07:54 AM
6 goals in 3 starts this season so we would be buying someone in good form.

Scott Burns is usually very reliable with the Hibs stories too.

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 07:55 AM
1 goal every other game in this division.
Decent scoring record for teams in a division above where we are.
Loves the game we want to play with loads of crosses and poacher beside him.

Would score 15+ goals this season in this league to compliment Cummings!

Pretty certain we would have to stump up some cash which is the downside, but im sure he would jump at the chance to come to Hibs.

HappyAsHellas
18-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Can't say I know that much about him although his stats aren't bad at all when you consider the teams he's been playing with, and I mean that in the number of chances they will create. If he can come off the bench and score about ten a season he'll be exactly what we've been needing for a couple of seasons now.

neil7908
18-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Not a signing that gets me buzzing in the same way Shinnie or the new keeper have but probably decent cover for Holt. If Graham does sign I'd hope the next player we recruit would be a level above though.

And still definitely need another wide player if we end up with Holt and Graham in the squad

MacGruber
18-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Been happy with our last two signings but I'm afraid I am not a fan of Graham. When we were first linked I actually thought he was still benchwarming at St Johnstone, he's made no impression on me at all in his career and IMO is not nearly good enough for us.

Be a huge disappointment if this is the forward we actually want. It strikes me as the kind of buy that got us in this division in the first place.

Please no Hibs.

Feel the same Cap. Not judging on stats just what I've seen for myself and seen plenty of him.

Said before be interesting to see length of contract. Could be decent cover in this league but the kind of player that isn't going to make inroads in the top flight.

B.H.F.C
18-08-2016, 08:05 AM
I think he'd do all right in this league.

Maybe instead of building a squad that would compete in the top league like we did last year, it's more a case of getting players that suit this league and can get us out of it this time.

MacGruber
18-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Maybe a loan? If we are paying money for Graham I'll be gutted - poor mans John Sutton

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Hard to judge a player until they have played for us in the system we use. Simple fact of the matter is, time will tell (applicable to all signings) on wether or not they are a success of not.

woodythehibee
18-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Would be happy with him. Physical presence up top is what we need in this league and Holt can't play every week. Decent goal scoring record at this level but his overall contribution is likely to be just as important.

Finn2015
18-08-2016, 08:22 AM
Would be happy with him. Physical presence up top is what we need in this league and Holt can't play every week. Decent goal scoring record at this level but his overall contribution is likely to be just as important.

Yip and I think another option other than holt would be preferable to

Craig_in_Prague
18-08-2016, 08:22 AM
I wonder who people expect for a 3rd or 4th choice striker, whilst we're a championship club.

Finn2015
18-08-2016, 08:23 AM
I wonder who people expect for a 3rd or 4th choice striker, whilst we're a championship club.

Ronaldo

bigwheel
18-08-2016, 08:27 AM

it's a fair point...the boy is playing regularly in a league above us ...recall him being a handful in the cup final..Would be a good addition to the squad.

easty
18-08-2016, 08:35 AM

Maybe expect someone better than a 3rd or 4th choice striker from Ross County? Surely that's no asking for too much?

Waxy
18-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Give him a chance.Rather have him than sammon from across the road.

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Maybe expect someone better than a 3rd or 4th choice striker from Ross County? Surely that's no asking for too much?

3rd or 4th striker in a team that beat us in a national final last season and are a division above us....

CapitalGreen
18-08-2016, 08:43 AM

He's started their last 3 games, scoring 4 goals suggesting he is not 3rd or 4th choice.

Allant1981
18-08-2016, 08:45 AM

Isnt he there first choice this season? I havent really paid that much attention to the premier since we got relegated

MacGruber
18-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Hard to judge a player until they have played for us in the system we use. Simple fact of the matter is, time will tell (applicable to all signings) on wether or not they are a success of not.

Agreed. The day he signs I'll back him and judge on what he does for us.

Hibs90
18-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Can't say this excites me but then again I wasn't excited about David Gray so what the **** do I know!

easty
18-08-2016, 08:57 AM
He's started their last 3 games, scoring 4 goals suggesting he is not 3rd or 4th choice.

Naw. He hasnae.

The beat Inverness on Saturday 3-2 and he was a sub, who didn't get on. Boyce played. Gardyne played. Curran played. Shalk come on as a sub. So 5th choice even?

He started the 3 previous, you're right, and did score 4 goals. 3 of them were against Cove Rangers though.

easty
18-08-2016, 08:58 AM
3rd or 4th striker in a team that beat us in a national final last season and are a division above us....

Well if they're better than us then why stop at Graham, lets sign all their players.

Aldo
18-08-2016, 08:59 AM
He brings different attributes to the game with his presence, strength and in the air.

We struggled to break teams down last year and after losing Dom I thought we struggled at times to hold the ball up in final third.

I will say that not every player has to be superstar and I trust Lennon!

Ideal player to challenge Holt IMHO!!

It's all about getting out of this league. Let's not forget that!!

Allant1981
18-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Naw. He hasnae.

The beat Inverness on Saturday 3-2 and he was a sub, who didn't get on. Boyce played. Gardyne played. Curran played. Shalk come on as a sub. So 5th choice even?

He started the 3 previous, you're right, and did score 4 goals. 3 of them were against Cove Rangers though.

How do you have time to watch hibs when you clearly watch RC most weeks

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Well if they're better than us then why stop at Graham, lets sign all their players.
Well thats a pathetic and childish reply. So well done to you.

Just putting into perspective. You seem to look down at County when they are an established premiership team. Something we arent.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

easty
18-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Well thats a pathetic and childish reply. So well done to you.

Just putting into perspective. You seem to look down at County when they are an established premiership team. Something we arent.

Childish? I know you are but what am I?

I look down on them in the sense that we're better than them.

easty
18-08-2016, 09:03 AM
How do you have time to watch hibs when you clearly watch RC most weeks

I wouldn't watch them if they were playing in my back garden.

It's no hard to look on the internet and see who they played and who played for them though. You can find loads of stuff on this internet thing.

southern hibby
18-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Always have always will support who puts on the top.

Last season we have had players who can and did ( except Ross County) beat every team we played in the league above us and we never got promoted.

I'm happy to support whoever NL signs as I really do believe he hasn't come here to be second. He's here to win us promotion and if he thinks the lad will do a job for us, that's good enough for me.

A big lad who can throw his weight around and get stuck in, who's already scoring goals this season and who looks interested in coming to us.

GGTTH

lord bunberry
18-08-2016, 09:04 AM

And we always will be. I hate it when people use the excuse that we're a championship club. If we start to think like a championship club, we'll remain one.

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 09:05 AM

In what way? Better squad on paper? Possibly. Bigger club? Yes. Better league position? No.

But i will revert back to my original point, they are a league above us and beat us in cup final.

To look down at them and write off their players is naive.

BSEJVT
18-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Agreed. The day he signs I'll back him and judge on what he does for us.

Exactly correct

Every player should at least have the first 5 minutes of their debut before people start to deride them as being pish

It takes time to make up your mind over a player and people shouldn't rush to snap judgements :greengrin

easty
18-08-2016, 09:09 AM
In what way? Better squad on paper? Possibly. Bigger club? Yes. Better league position? No.

But i will revert back to my original point, they are a league above us and beat us in cup final.

To look down at them and write off their players is naive.

Better squad on paper, yes...not possibly, absolutley yes. Bigger club, clearly. Better league position, obviously not. But we're better than at least half of the top flight, more than half I'd say.

We were miles the better team in the cup final, quite clearly. We lost cos of a couple of diddy moments.

It's not naive to think Hibs are better than them, we are.

easty
18-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Exactly correct

Every player should at least have the first 5 minutes of their debut before people start to deride them as being pish

It takes time to make up your mind over a player and people shouldn't rush to snap judgements :greengrin

I'll back him if he signs, but he hasn't signed yet, and I think we can get better players than Brian Graham.

Craig_in_Prague
18-08-2016, 09:12 AM
it's a fair point...the boy is playing regularly in a league above us ...recall him being a handful in the cup final..Would be a good addition to the squad.

Moreover, I trust Neil Lennon, if he signs a player, then he believes he'll contribute over the season to get us out of this league.
Signings so far appear good, so the next 2 he brings in I am sure will also add to the squad.

Not all signings are with a view to keeping them for a couple of years; guys like Holt or Graham are to give us a presence up top in some games, and when the pitches are less good.

MacGruber
18-08-2016, 09:13 AM

I would hope we were just looking to bring in a quality striker than deliberately trying to bring in a 4th choice squad man - particularly as the striking dept is a bit light.

Besides, whilst I get your sentiment it's a bit simplistic.

Hibs are a big club in Scottish football - a far bigger club than Ross County. We were asked to fork out for 10k season tickets to help supplement Lennons budget as much as possible. We got 11k - more than double Ross County population and 4k approx more than last year. We've been just needing to add a bit of quality in the right areas this year and strikers have been paramount in what we've beem needing. We've played the long game and been patient. Brian Graham would be anti-climactic for me given the circumstances.

We're in the championship but we can still attract quality players (for our level) due to the people at the club now and all its selling points. I know that doesn't stop people saying , "who do you expect to sign in the Scottish Championship" with the first reply to that from the next guy being the standard textbook "ronaldo/messi" quip.

Since being a championship club we've signed:-

Stokes
McGinn
McGeough
Scott Allan
Henderson
Malonga
El Alagui
Fyvie
Shinnie
MacGregor
Keatings
Fontaine

And a host of other quality players - all enticed to play for hibs not to mention Cummings/Hanlon signing on again foe us in the championship.

Players incidentally would have been happy to sign as a premier team

So whilst (just in my opinion) we could do a lot better than Brian Graham, i was hoping and expecting better.......
.... but have ruled out Ronaldo & Messi

JimBHibees
18-08-2016, 09:14 AM
He'd score goals for fun in this division IMO. We seem to be chucking a lot more crosses into the box these days too which would suit him. I reckon he'd jump at the chance to join us too going by the article in the paper today.

Think he would be a great signing at this level wouldnt assume a long deal however for a player to assist us getting out the league not sure we can do much better. His one goal in 2 for Raith was in this league and he has also done well in the Premier league. Would score a few for us and always appears to work his socks off when I see him. His physicality and goals is exactly what we need.

JimBHibees
18-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Exactly correct

Too long you can usually tell by how they warm up whether good or not. :greengrin

scoopyboy
18-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Too long you can usually tell by how they warm up whether good or not. :greengrin

Or even their website:greengrin

J-C
18-08-2016, 09:29 AM

I give you Rowan Vine :greengrin

Allant1981
18-08-2016, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't watch them if they were playing in my back garden.

It's no hard to look on the internet and see who they played and who played for them though. You can find loads of stuff on this internet thing.

So you havent seen him play yet dont think he is good enough, im guessing you dont think shinnie will be good enough either then seeing as he hasnt played much recently, griffiths hadnt exactly set the heather alight before he started scoring for us

The Captain....
18-08-2016, 09:33 AM
I would hope we were just looking to bring in a quality striker than deliberately trying to bring in a 4th choice squad man - particularly as the striking dept is a bit light.

Besides, whilst I get your sentiment it's a bit simplistic.

Hibs are a big club in Scottish football - a far bigger club than Ross County. We were asked to fork out for 10k season tickets to help supplement Lennons budget as much as possible. We got 11k - more than double Ross County population and 4k approx more than last year. We've been just needing to add a bit of quality in the right areas this year and strikers have been paramount in what we've beem needing. We've played the long game and been patient. Brian Graham would be anti-climactic for me given the circumstances.

We're in the championship but we can still attract quality players (for our level) due to the people at the club now and all its selling points. I know that doesn't stop people saying , "who do you expect to sign in the Scottish Championship" with the first reply to that from the next guy being the standard textbook "ronaldo/messi" quip.

Since being a championship club we've signed:-

Stokes
McGinn
McGeough
Scott Allan
Henderson
Malonga
El Alagui
Fyvie
Shinnie
MacGregor
Keatings
Fontaine

And a host of other quality players - all enticed to play for hibs not to mention Cummings/Hanlon signing on again foe us in the championship.

Players incidentally would have been happy to sign as a premier team

So whilst (just in my opinion) we could do a lot better than Brian Graham, i was hoping and expecting better.......
.... but have ruled out Ronaldo & Messi

:agree: Its such a lazy argument to say "what do we expect in this division"...we expect Hibs to sign the best possible option in our budget...my opinion is Graham is some way short of that and is a journeyman Scottish striker who has failed to make much of an impact at the 4 or 5 clubs he has been at.

Scoring goals, is we've all agreed, been our achilles heal, in our attempts to get out of this division. A striker to chip in with 15-20 goals and help Cummings, along with..a plan B type such as Holt was what we required. I presumed Holt would be the backup to our main target as his age and injury problems mean we'll have to manage his game time carefully. It seems like we're looking at a poorer like for like. To be scrabbling around in the bargain basement looking at Graham does not fill me with confidence that we'll solve our lack of goals (Cummings excepted).

I'm usually very upbeat about our signings so its not as if I'm having a go at our general business which I have in the main been happy with. (although this season Id liked to have had them in sooner)

easty
18-08-2016, 09:36 AM
So you havent seen him play yet dont think he is good enough, im guessing you dont think shinnie will be good enough either then seeing as he hasnt played much recently, griffiths hadnt exactly set the heather alight before he started scoring for us

What the actual **** are you on about? I've seen Brian Graham play, when did I say I hadn't?

I dunno what Shinnie and Griffiths have to do with me not thinking Brian Graham is good enough.

Smartie
18-08-2016, 09:37 AM

I prefer to make a snap judgment based on how exotic the player's name is so understandably I'm against this move.

Although I'd be all over this if he was called Jose.

I'll refine my opinion in future once I find out some more facts, such as whether or not he has a beard and drinks coffee.

I couldn't care less how good he is at football.

TBH I'm just amazed that you still get footballers called Brian. I thought we'd seen the last of this type of thing.

supermcginn
18-08-2016, 09:38 AM
I rate him I hope this happens, he's a handful for defences and we can't rely on Holt to be fit all season!

JimBHibees
18-08-2016, 09:38 AM
I prefer to make a snap judgment based on how exotic the player's name is so understandably I'm against this move.

I'll refine my opinion in future once I find out some more facts, such as whether or not he has a beard and drinks coffee.

TBH I'm just amazed that you still get footballers called Brian. I thought we'd seen the last of this type of thing.

Hairstyle, clothes, car, quality of girlfriend are other obvious more important issues than playing ability. :greengrin

Andy74
18-08-2016, 09:40 AM
:agree: Its such a lazy argument to say "what do we expect in this division"...we expect Hibs to sign the best possible option in our budget...my opinion is Graham is some way short of that and is a journeyman Scottish striker who has failed to make much of an impact at the 4 or 5 clubs he has been at.

Scoring goals, is we've all agreed, been our achilles heal, in our attempts to get out of this division. A striker to chip in with 15-20 goals and help Cummings, along with..a plan B type such as Holt was what we required. I presumed Holt would be the backup to our main target as his age and injury problems mean we'll have to manage his game time carefully. It seems like we're looking at a poorer like for like. To be scrabbling around in the bargain basement looking at Graham does not fill me with confidence that we'll solve our lack of goals (Cummings excepted).

I'm usually very upbeat about our signings so its not as if I'm having a go at our general business which I have in the main been happy with. (although this season Id liked to have had them in sooner)

You do know he has already scored a pretty decent amount of goals in this division with a poorer team than we are? I'm not sure he is bargain basement - he is currently contracted to a top league team who want to keep him.

Its not about names, the way we scout and recruit is changing or has changed, we look for players who will do a particular job and all that matters is that the staff at the club think someone can do that job.

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-08-2016, 09:40 AM

What striker do you think we should be targeting? Looking for names here!

jacomo
18-08-2016, 09:43 AM

bingo!

pacoluna
18-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Malonga

Zazu62
18-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Steven Maclean st Johnstone

easty
18-08-2016, 10:03 AM

:agree: he'd be a better option

hughio
18-08-2016, 10:06 AM

:greengrin

The Green Goblin
18-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Yup. Maybe just me, but someone who has two first names as their first and second names clearly can't be any good either.

easty
18-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Yup. Maybe just me, but someone who has two first names as their first and second names clearly can't be any good either.

Ehhhh....Matty Jack!

Bostonhibby
18-08-2016, 10:15 AM

:greengrin Fool proof test in my opinion, Rowan Vine grew a beard and look how he turned out.

The Captain....
18-08-2016, 10:25 AM

Griffiths pretty much had a 1 goal in 2 game ratio before he came to us and had just moved to Wolves off the back of an impressive season with Dundee so I dont think that point bares any serious scrutiny. He maintained his goal scoring ratio with us so we pretty much got what we expected when signing him (although the quality of goals and the fact he scored most of them out of nothing was very impressive)

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Hes coming up 34 next week! The fans are giving the board absolute pelters for signing Holt even though hes played at and scored at the highest level down south!

MacLean has an almost 1 goal in 4 games record at St J's, which is similar to Grahams at Ross Co, who are a worse team.

Everyone is good at slating the targets until they are asked to give options instead.

easty
18-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Hes coming up 34 next week! The fans are giving the board absolute pelters for signing Holt even though hes played at and scored at the highest level down south!

MacLean has an almost 1 goal in 4 games record at St J's, which is similar to Grahams at Ross Co, who are a worse team.

Everyone is good at slating the targets until they are asked to give options instead.

Away and dinnae talk *****. That's such a nothing argument.

We don't work for the club, it's no our job to go out and find the best players we can get. Just because we, as Hibs fans, don't have an in depth knowledge of footballers playing in the lower leagues down south, doesn't mean we should just be happy to sign a Ross County player.

Steven MacLean is a better player than Brian Graham, 34 year old or not.

Paloschi
18-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Whelmed.

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Away and dinnae talk *****. That's such a nothing argument.

We don't work for the club, it's no our job to go out and find the best players we can get. Just because we, as Hibs fans, don't have an in depth knowledge of footballers playing in the lower leagues down south, doesn't mean we should just be happy to sign a Ross County player.

Steven MacLean is a better player than Brian Graham, 34 year old or not.
You've pretty much just reaffirmed my point. So thanks.

Its easy to sit back and slate the targets, when you dont know whats available, within budget or willing to move.

If Hibs are going after Graham, hes obviously been scouted/watched. Hes obviously within budget and the coaches and manager feel he can improve the squad.

Or else we wouldnt be trying to sign him.

easty
18-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Its easy to sit back and slate the targets, when you dont know whats available, within budget or willing to move.

If Hibs are going after Graham, hes obviously been scouted/watched. Hes obviously within budget and the coaches and manager feel he can improve the squad.

I'm absolutely not reaffirming your point.

neil7908
18-08-2016, 11:09 AM

The last 2 paragraphs are clearly correct but beg the question - do football clubs never make poor signings? If the club was being linked with bringing back Kuqi the statement you made would still apply, should the fans not voice an opinion?

Fwiw I've been really happy with the players Lennon has brought in so far and I'd go as far as to say I have more faith in him succeeding than any other manager in my time supporting the club. I will also support whoever the club chooses to bring in but as I fan I reserve the right to question prospective signings, as long as criticism isn't OTT (I haven't read anything on this thread that sounds outlandish or unfair).

If people are commenting on players they have never seen before then that's clearly unfair. But just as I think Shinnie is an excellent signing based on what I've seen of him, I have concerns about Graham for the same reasons.

But if the deals goes through he'll get my backing 100%.

Blaster
18-08-2016, 11:13 AM
My opinion of graham is that I wouldn't be overly enthused about signing him if we were in the top league but think he'd be a good signing to get us out the championship

If he signs and does that we can then worry next summer if he is good enough for the top division or not

cabbageandribs1875
18-08-2016, 11:15 AM
i've only heard his name mentioned once on the radio, two weeks ago when he missed a sitter for ross co :( i'm sure he's really prolific though

Thecat23
18-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Hibs net last season.. "Stubbs needs a strikers who are big and physical to help change things when breaking teams down.

Hibs net now... He's ***** just a big lump we need footballers. 😂

How about getting off football manager and letting Lennon decide if he's good enough? What doesn't work at one club can work at another, he not signed yet and folk are shooting him down.

The joys of footy forums eh!

Billy Whizz
18-08-2016, 11:19 AM

I'd take him in a heartbeat

cloudy
18-08-2016, 11:34 AM
I'd take him in a heartbeat

Was ready to sign for us then butcher got sacked , would jump at the chance to play for hibs

scoopyboy
18-08-2016, 11:35 AM
My opinion of graham is that I wouldn't be overly enthused about signing him if we were in the top league but think he'd be a good signing to get us out the championship

If he signs and does that we can then worry next summer if he is good enough for the top division or not

Correct, lets get the f*** outta there and then worry who is good enough for next season.

Finn2015
18-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Correct, lets get the f*** outta there and then worry who is good enough for next season.

Agreed! We can look at things from a different perspective when this has been achieved. Let's just be a celebrity and get out of here

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Hibs net last season.. "Stubbs needs a strikers who are big and physical to help change things when breaking teams down.

Hibs net now... He's ***** just a big lump we need footballers. ��

How about getting off football manager and letting Lennon decide if he's good enough? What doesn't work at one club can work at another, he not signed yet and folk are shooting him down.

A round of applause for you sir!

lyonhibs
18-08-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm absolutely not reaffirming your point.

You kind of are though.

If this rumour was linking us with a striker with similar stats called Jose Maria de Sanchez from Argentina or something, you can guarantee there'd be folk on here going "oooh, that's our scouting network at work, really thinking outside the box there" or similar.

Because it's a Ross County (who, for the record, are in the league above us) player and Ross County are "smaller" than us and from a relatively boring part of Scotland people are underwhelmed and somehow convinced that we should be doing much better, without - as you admit - being able to suggest better options (and I agree that it's not our role to do so as fans, so the line of "name an alternative" is a bit pish just not quite as pish as the armchair football manager line of "we should be showing more ambition and getting better in")

Either we rate Lennon as a manager and trust his eye for a player or it's liable to be a long couple of weeks until the window "slams shut".

Viva_Palmeiras
18-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Has any of the skeptics watched "moneyball"

bookert
18-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Please no Hibs.

Last time I saw him live was in the league cup final against us, thought he changed the game when he came on, Ross County started knocking the ball forward quickly and he was laying the ball off to the two quick players they had up front, so on that display would do a job. Only my opinion though.

CRAZYHIBBY
18-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Maybe the reason he was on the bench is because there if a fee involved and county don't want to risk injury

Smartie
18-08-2016, 12:20 PM
I'm not mad on the idea of this signing, mainly because I know a few fans of clubs he's played for in the past and they've said that he's keech.

I remember thinking exactly the same when we signed Mixu and I'd probably say that he is pound for pound the most important and best signing we've made in my time watching Hibs.

As has been said elsewhere we need to trust our manager. This guy might be exactly what we need for the way he wants us to play.

easty
18-08-2016, 12:28 PM
You kind of are though.

If this rumour was linking us with a striker with similar stats called Jose Maria de Sanchez from Argentina or something, you can guarantee there'd be folk on here going "oooh, that's our scouting network at work, really thinking outside the box there" or similar.

Because it's a Ross County (who, for the record, are in the league above us) player and Ross County are "smaller" than us and from a relatively boring part of Scotland people are underwhelmed and somehow convinced that we should be doing much better, without - as you admit - being able to suggest better options (and I agree that it's not our role to do so as fans, so the line of "name an alternative" is a bit pish just not quite as pish as the armchair football manager line of "we should be showing more ambition and getting better in")

Either we rate Lennon as a manager and trust his eye for a player or it's liable to be a long couple of weeks until the window "slams shut".

If we were linked with Jose Maria de Sanchez from Argentina I'd be gutted, he's no even in Football Manager, so he must be keek.

Ross County are in the league above us, you've said that more than once now, it doesn't mean anything. There's loads of players in the SPL who aren't good enough for us, regardless of being in the league above us. Dunno what being from a relatively boring part of the country has to do with it.

I do trust Neil Lennon, and I will support anyone we sign...but I don't have any reservations about saying I don't rate Brian Graham. If he does sign and does well then I'll be delighted, if he does sing and ends up doing *****, I'm no the sort of person who'll be posting "I told you so", I'll just be disappointed we didn't sign someone else.

matty_f
18-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Boy at work is a Raith fan, his feedback was that Graham was superb for them.

scoopyboy
18-08-2016, 12:40 PM
I'm not mad on the idea of this signing, mainly because I know a few fans of clubs he's played for in the past and they've said that he's keech.

I remember thinking exactly the same when we signed Mixu and I'd probably say that he is pound for pound the most important and best signing we've made in my time watching Hibs.

As has been said elsewhere we need to trust our manager. This guy might be exactly what we need for the way he wants us to play.

Is that weight or money?:greengrin

Lago
18-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Boy at work is a Raith fan, his feedback was that Graham was superb for them.
Seem to remember he scored a pretty good goal against us at ER

Hibs1969
18-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Last time I saw him live was in the league cup final against us, thought he changed the game when he came on, Ross County started knocking the ball forward quickly and he was laying the ball off to the two quick players they had up front, so on that display would do a job. Only my opinion though.

Totally agree. He made a big difference when he came on during the LC final in complete contrast to our poor use of substitutes in the same game. Boyle only came on after RC scored their winner but Graham was decent for the time he played that day.

Big_Franck
18-08-2016, 12:57 PM
I'd have hoped that after the season we had last year, and after selling 10-11k season tickets in the summer, that we'd have enough of a budget to be targeting better players than boys that can't get a game for Ross County. Brian Graham has looked like a big useless lump whenever i've seen him play for Dundee Utd or Ross Counťy. If he signs hopefully he'll do a job against some of the crap in this league though.

Allant1981
18-08-2016, 01:26 PM
What the actual **** are you on about? I've seen Brian Graham play, when did I say I hadn't?

I dunno what Shinnie and Griffiths have to do with me not thinking Brian Graham is good enough.

So how often have you seen him play, im guessing IF you go watch hibs every week then not very much

Allant1981
18-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Griffiths pretty much had a 1 goal in 2 game ratio before he came to us and had just moved to Wolves off the back of an impressive season with Dundee so I dont think that point bares any serious scrutiny. He maintained his goal scoring ratio with us so we pretty much got what we expected when signing him (although the quality of goals and the fact he scored most of them out of nothing was very impressive)

I didnt realise griffiths had scored that many for dundee or livi so stand corrected

easty
18-08-2016, 02:03 PM
So how often have you seen him play, im guessing IF you go watch hibs every week then not very much

What are you on about? How many games do I times do I need to have sat down and studied the footballer that is Brian Graham before I'm allowed to have an opinion on him?

I've not sat down and watched Nicky Clarke play much either, but I'd still say he's *****. Connor Sammon tae. Is that ok with you? Am I allowed to? Even though I don't go and watch them all the time?

Allant1981
18-08-2016, 02:20 PM
What are you on about? How many games do I times do I need to have sat down and studied the footballer that is Brian Graham before I'm allowed to have an opinion on him?

I've not sat down and watched Nicky Clarke play much either, but I'd still say he's *****. Connor Sammon tae. Is that ok with you? Am I allowed to? Even though I don't go and watch them all the time?

Nope not really, dont see how you can have such an opinion on someone you havent seen play that often. But fire in if it makes you happy

Ronniekirk
18-08-2016, 02:55 PM
We are only two leaugue games into this campaign But so far one own goal and the rest from Cummings
Henderson was our top scoring midfielder last Season and Shinnie may take over with McGinn hopefully getting more
But niether Holt or Keatings have scored ,that will change but if niether of them scores regularly i was looking for a fpurth Striker with goals in them
If Graham can get i to doublefigures for a season then so be it But havent seen him play Lennon must see something in him if he is still trying to do a deal
Like someone else said i was hoping for a surprise quality signing up front but in the Championship and with Cummings our clear No 1 Striker to add quality would perhaps mean having to give them guatanteed first team football and assume Holt is seen as first team regular and on decent money , so maybe its expecting too mutch and a seasoned pro for cover is what we can afford and what Lennon feels is needed
If we have to pay a fee you would think we would only do that for someone whp was coming on to play in first Team

Finn2015
18-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Think Keatings will chip in with his fair share just at the moment, probably owing to injuries, he is playing a different role

Stevie Reid
18-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Would be very pleased with this, his goals to starts ratio is excellent everywhere he has been, and even with the considerable number of sub appearances thrown in, his ratios are good: -

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43743

Finn2015
18-08-2016, 04:53 PM
What's kenny millar say 🤔

greenlex
18-08-2016, 05:04 PM

What is our budget?

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-08-2016, 05:08 PM
If NL wants him that's good enough for me.

ian cruise
18-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Think Keatings will chip in with his fair share just at the moment, probably owing to injuries, he is playing a different role

If Keatings plays up top he will score, of that I have no doubt. To be honest he's the only reason I didn't go straight for the booze when the Cummings bid came in. I was JC to be with us for as long as possible but if we do lose him I'll not be as worried as I would be if we didn't have Keatings.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Just had a wee gander at the signings celtic made during Lennon's tenure. He signed over 40 players and by my estimate,over half of them were a success. Even fergie managed to sign a few duds at United over the years.

I don't know an awful lot about Graham if I'm being honest but I'm happy to go with what our gaffer thinks will improve our squad. As opposed to all the "experts" on here

bingo70
18-08-2016, 06:22 PM
I've always thought he was really pish tbh.

That said I was really surprised to see how good a goal scoring record he had, particularly in this league. On top of that I've been moaning for the last couple of years we we don't have someone that'll just stay up front and take their chances. I think he's that sort of player and with the amount we create i think there's a good chance he could end up being a very good signing.

How's that for a non committal opinion.

scoopyboy
18-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Just had a wee gander at the signings celtic made during Lennon's tenure. He signed over 40 players and by my estimate,over half of them were a success. Even fergie managed to sign a few duds at United over the years.

I don't know an awful lot about Graham if I'm being honest but I'm happy to go with what our gaffer thinks will improve our squad. As opposed to all the "experts" on here

Were you not the "expert" last week that was stating that Cummings, Holt and Keatings would score sixty goals between them this season?

ian cruise
18-08-2016, 06:35 PM

One of the things I was unsure about with NL before he joined was his signing policy. Felt he signed far too many 0layers at Celtic using the old "throw enough $*** at the wall..." approach. Spoke to some Celtic supporting friends who reckoned that was the clubs approach rather than his. I actually think he managed to polish quite a few of the players and improve them when he managed Celtic so here's hoping he can spur a few of our current stars to even better performances.

Borderhibbie76
18-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Well said TC - ridiculous some of the comments on here. Personally I don't know too much about him but if lennon and Craig etc think he is good enough...well then that's good enough for me. Think people are forgetting he is potentially coming as a 4th choice striker...yet some are expecting Neymar after The Olympics 😂😂😂

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Were you not the "expert" last week that was stating that Cummings, Holt and Keatings would score sixty goals between them this season?

Doesn't take much intellect to be able to figure that out. Do you want them to fail as this is a couple of times you've pulled me up on this?

£20 bet with proceeds going to Dnipro if you like?

In a honesty the "expert" comment was more aimed at the people saying he wasn't good enough but failed to mention suitable replacements. Fire away.....

bingo70
18-08-2016, 06:49 PM

Not really true though TC.

Hibs.net last season- we need more pace, width and creativity.

Hibs.net this season- we need more pace, width and creativity.

As you'll see from my post above about him I'm fairly open minded, I can see the pros and cons but I don't think he's above debate....in fact I'll be astounded the day there's not a bit scepticism about us signing a Ross County squad player.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-08-2016, 06:51 PM
One of the things I was unsure about with NL before he joined was his signing policy. Felt he signed far too many 0layers at Celtic using the old "throw enough $*** at the wall..." approach. Spoke to some Celtic supporting friends who reckoned that was the clubs approach rather than his. I actually think he managed to polish quite a few of the players and improve them when he managed Celtic so here's hoping he can spur a few of our current stars to even better performances.

I think what helped him at Celtic was the good scouting network they had in place (ex hibs scout isn't it?) That unearthed a few gems. Even managed to get Charlie Mulgrew to a relatively decent standard player.

As you say though I do believe he will develop our current squad further and get better..... sorry more consistent performances

Big L
18-08-2016, 07:08 PM
I haven't seen to much of the guy but his record looks ok especially when you consider he's playing in a league above. I will be surprised if he can't score goals in the championship. This guy's gonna cost a fee, he won't be cheap! I do wonder just what some fans expect and maybe it's time for a bit pragmatism. NL did really well getting Andy Shinnie and Stubbs did really well wi his signings but top strikers cost real money and we can't afford them, you only have to look at what we are asking for JC. My advice, get real!!

ian cruise
18-08-2016, 07:15 PM
I think what helped him at Celtic was the good scouting network they had in place (ex hibs scout isn't it?) That unearthed a few gems. Even managed to get Charlie Mulgrew to a relatively decent standard player.

As you say though I do believe he will develop our current squad further and get better..... sorry more consistent performances

Yeah, John Park. Best signing they've ever made from us. It was the start of the decline in our signings as well. Think we've finally managed to sort that out, obviously not every signing works bit I've been impressed in the main with the signings since the start of the Dempster era.

neil7908
18-08-2016, 07:24 PM

As you'll see from my post above about him I'm fairly open minded, I can see the pros and cons but I don't think he's above debate....in fact I'll be astounded the day there's not a bit scepticism about us signing a Ross County squad player.

Well said.

I've said before that Lennon has my backing but are folk honestly saying we can't discuss prospective signings? This place will be out of business soon if every poster just decided Lennon/the club no best so I'd better not voice an opinion!

I haven't read anyone saying anything nasty or blatantly unfair about him, just they don't rate him. Is that really terrible? If we decided to sign Rudi Skacel presumably we shouldn't voice an opinion either then?

Nothing wrong IMO with fans debating merits on potential signings. Not sure why some are getting upset about it.

The Leith Dutch
18-08-2016, 07:42 PM
I think he'd do all right in this league.

Maybe instead of building a squad that would compete in the top league like we did last year, it's more a case of getting players that suit this league and can get us out of it this time.

I agree with that overall but would assume there's room for a couple of places to be filled by players who'd only be effective in this league on a season long contract maybe?

Of the things I want after promotion (and that's the absolute priority) not being lumbered with players who we can be fairly certain won't cut it in the division above is quite high on the list.

scoopyboy
18-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Doesn't take much intellect to be able to figure that out. Do you want them to fail as this is a couple of times you've pulled me up on this?

£20 bet with proceeds going to Dnipro if you like?

In a honesty the "expert" comment was more aimed at the people saying he wasn't good enough but failed to mention suitable replacements. Fire away.....

Aye fair enough, I would rather lose the bet but I will take it on.

You will need Jason to hit 35+ to have any chance.

The Leith Dutch
18-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Well said.

I've said before that Lennon has my backing but are folk honestly saying we can't discuss prospective signings? This place will be out of business soon if every poster just decided Lennon/the club no best so I'd better not voice an opinion!

I haven't read anyone saying anything nasty or blatantly unfair about him, just they don't rate him. Is that really terrible? If we decided to sign Rudi Skacel presumably we shouldn't voice an opinion either then?

Nothing wrong IMO with fans debating merits on potential signings. Not sure why some are getting upset about it.

Tend to agree.

That said - I'd like to see more actual reasoning in folk's posts.

I made some comments about Cummings on another thread (prior to the season starting) along the lines of I think he should be doing better and based it on the fact that I think 18 goals for a player of his abilities at this level wasn't a great return.

I got a response of "That's dog s**te" with no attempt to back it up or argue the point.
I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion but that's just being a confrontational idiot.

It's great to have different opinions but they need to either have some grounding and back up or they need to be put as a gut feeling.

There's also a weird theme going through a lot of threads that you're not entitled to an opinion unless you attend loads of games the player plays in. Now granted, someone who's a Ross County season ticket holder is likely to have more evidence for their judgement of Brian Graham but that doesn't mean no-one else is entitled to comment.

The Captain....
18-08-2016, 08:00 PM
What is our budget?

Staff costs fluctuate but over the last few years around £3.5 million to £4 million per year. Of course that's all staff so there'd be a reduction if you were just taking into account the playing and coaching side.

I think it's fair to say it's a competitive budget and one Neil Lennon said he was happy with.

Interestingly (as I noticed someone asked about Kenny Millar) he reckoned there were better options available and being looked at that would not command a fee.

I've no general axe to grind on our signings, I just don't rate Graham at all and want us to bring in better. Fair enough if folk disagree and want to say so, it won't change my opinion but I'm happy to debate it with anyone.

Never played football manager or demanded we sign a big lump as far as I can remember last season either.

The Captain....
18-08-2016, 08:30 PM
I think that's fair enough, nobody should criticised for having an opinion on a player.
we have a few that divide opinion so Brian will be another.
I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Hibs strip, possibly next home game.
Can't see every poster having the same opinion on every player, I sincerely hope the one to change your opinion is the player himself. [emoji106]

Re your last sentence I'll be the first to say I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong as it would mean we're scoring plenty of goals. What we all agreed more than any other point discussed on here is that we need to be more clinical with the chances we do create and put games to bed when we're on top. If Graham helps us do that I'll be happy to say I was wrong.

Nutmegged
18-08-2016, 08:58 PM
I quite like Brian Graham, reminds me of Willie Falconer if anyone remembers him, works his socks off, he's good in the air and can play with his back to goal, he ran riot the last time he was in this division with Raith Rovers, I think we need to accept Cummings and Holt will be Lennon's first choice strikers at least to begin with so Keatings and A.N other will be our back ups, we ain't going to get a brilliant standard player to come in as initial back up IMO so we're looking at a good pro who can score goals if given chances, I think Graham fits the bill here.

ancient hibee
18-08-2016, 09:05 PM
I agree with that overall but would assume there's room for a couple of places to be filled by players who'd only be effective in this league on a season long contract maybe?

Of the things I want after promotion (and that's the absolute priority) not being lumbered with players who we can be fairly certain won't cut it in the division above is quite high on the list.

we don't need players to play in the division above,we need them to get promotion.hearts and Rangers both revamped their teams when they got up.

Thecat23
18-08-2016, 09:48 PM

Bingo it was said many times on here we needed a target man as Farid was always injured and we didn't have anyone to go direct when needed. You are correct that also we were crying out for pace and wingers which still hasn't changed.

But loads on here wanted a target man look back you will see I'm sure.

Thecat23
18-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Well said.

He won't be our first choice striker and folk aren't just saying they don't want him they are saying he's no good when we have no idea how he will be here. That's what bugs me! Nothing wrong with discussing possible signings but writing them off before they come is laughable.

Thecat23
18-08-2016, 09:54 PM

He'll be a squad player here too. We need depth do we not and what's wrong with Ross County players?

Edson Arantes
18-08-2016, 09:54 PM

Who's that Brazilian?

NoMore? Barcelona?

Something like that :confused: :wink:

Edson Arantes
18-08-2016, 09:55 PM
He'll be a squad player here too. We need depth do we not and what's wrong with Ross County players?

Exactly!

Col2
18-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Scott Macdonald was the original plan at the same time we were bringing in Holt. We all know what happened with that one!

Henderson and Pawlett were top of the list as well. Henderson unlikely now and Pawlett back in Dons team so also unlikely.

Lots of good players about especially as clubs have very little cash.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-08-2016, 09:58 PM
He won't be our first choice striker and folk aren't just saying they don't want him they are saying he's no good when we have no idea how he will be here. That's what bugs me! Nothing wrong with discussing possible signings but writing them off before they come is laughable.

👏👏👏👏

I asked for alternative options a bit earlier on and I'm still waiting.

Ronniekirk
18-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Bingo it was said many times on here we needed a target man as Farid was always injured and we didn't have anyone to go direct when needed. You are correct that also we were crying out for pace and wingers which still hasn't changed.

But loads on here wanted a target man look back you will see I'm sure.

But do we need two Target men at the expense of pace and width is also a point worth considering ,although having seen Holt for the first time on Saturday i can see why Lennon wants cover or maybe option of bringing Holt on later in games when he is fresh
He teally should of scoted on Saturday but hopefully he gets sharper the more games he plays

Thecat23
18-08-2016, 10:09 PM
But do we need two Target men at the expense of pace and width is also a point worth considering ,although having seen Holt for the first time on Saturday i can see why Lennon wants cover or maybe option of bringing Holt on later in games when he is fresh
He teally should of scoted on Saturday but hopefully he gets sharper the more games he plays

He was good in the game v Well. Only pre season but watch him keep JC right. Always talking to him and giving advice. Holt will score a few this season for us.

Ronniekirk
18-08-2016, 10:14 PM
He was good in the game v Well. Only pre season but watch him keep JC right. Always talking to him and giving advice. Holt will score a few this season for us.

Will watch out gor that on Ssturday

neil7908
18-08-2016, 10:20 PM
👏👏👏👏

Not a criticism of you mate but I never understand that line. I'm not a scout, I don't know Hibs budget, I don't have connections in the game, know what players earn at other clubs or if they are looking for a transfer. I could name you plenty of players who I think are decent but I don't have a scoobie if they are within our price range or would come to us. This is a player I have seen play several times and I'm not convinced by him. I don't think he's awful and I may be proved totally wrong. If so I'll hold my hands up. I thought Butcher would be a great manager for us and look where we ended up. I was sceptical about Stubbs and he's a legend.

If Graham signs he'll get my backing 100% but right now he's a Ross County player and I'll judge him the way I judge any other opposition player.

hibbyboy1
18-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Sorry in advance. Not bothered reading the whole thread, but how are players playing in the premiership not good enough to get us out off the championship.

ian cruise
18-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Sorry in advance. Not bothered reading the whole thread, but how are players playing in the premiership not good enough to get us out off the championship.

I'd suggest the answer is because the difference in skill between the two leagues is not as far apart as some would have us believe, so if a player hasn't succeeded in the top flight there's a good chance they won't cut it at the top end of the championship either.

Not aiming that at Graham by the way, I actually hope he does come in. I think there's definitely a place for him in our squad. It was more of a general answer to the question asked.

portycabbage
18-08-2016, 11:00 PM
I'd suggest the answer is because the difference in skill between the two leagues is not as far apart as some would have us believe, so if a player hasn't succeeded in the top flight there's a good chance they won't cut it at the top end of the championship either.

Not aiming that at Graham by the way, I actually hope he dies come in. I think there's definitely a place for him in our squad. It was more of a general answer to the question asked.

Harsh.

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 07:11 AM
👏👏👏👏

Neil - no offence but never really get that tbh.
If it was when Farid was injured for instance and Graham was being looked at to replace i'd be hoping for better. If challenged for an alternative name I might have come up blank.
We ended up with Malonga.
Because I couldn't come up with that name (had never heard of the player) does that means we should have went with Graham? That Malonga didn't exist or not viable? Others not out there?

Could say anybody you want really, doesn't mean anything.

As for writing people off before they kick a ball..
The Jose Marie Del Potro Sanchez argument is a bit flawed too IMO.
People know Graham and have their own informed opinion they are entitled to. It's okay to say trust Neil Lennon but if you know the player you have your own thoughts. If you have no opinion of Jose Maria I would trust Lennon because I've not informed opinion weighing against it so would happily go with his judgement. Nothing to do with exotic sounding.

If Lennon wanted to bring back Vine or James Collins people wouldn't be happy. Same could be said that we can't right them off, not kicked a ball, trust Lennon, they could fit a system, might be improved etc. Its not laughable

Bottom line

This is a football forum - people are expressing their opinion
On a prospective signing. Some think will be good, some think will be bad, some inbetween. Nothing wrong with any of that. If there is it's the death knell of a football chat forum

& narurally EVERYONE here however will want him to be brilliant for us if he does come in

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2016, 07:14 AM

I said the exact same thing to my mate. :wink:

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Sorry Neil - wrong name! :) x

Brightside
19-08-2016, 07:24 AM

Holt is a super player. Those that think otherwise should stop staring at his big ass and look at the intelligence of his play.

ian cruise
19-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Harsh.

Oops. Now edited, promise it was a typo and not a Freudian slip

brog
19-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Holt is a super player. Those that think otherwise should stop staring at his big ass and look at the intelligence of his play.

I very much enjoy & appreciate your posts but i was underwhelmed with Grant on Saturday. I hope & expect him to bring a lot to the team but he's got to step up & if he's our target man we have to play a system that supports him properly.

mim
19-08-2016, 09:07 AM

Must say, I completely agree with this. :aok:
I thought he was outstanding in Denmark and surely his fitness can't be called into question after 120 minutes in the heat over there.
He maybe still lacks a bit of sharpness, but his experience, strength and ability in the air will be vital for us this season. :agree:

CapitalGreen
19-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Reposting these Championship goal stats for comparison

Cummings - 68 Games / 39 Goals = 0.57 goals per game
Graham - 58 / 29 = 0.50
El Alagui - 48 / 23 = 0.48
Malonga - 43 / 17 = 0.40
Keatings - 97 / 35 = 0.36
Baird 197 / 61 = 0.31

Golden Bear
19-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Harsh.

:greengrin

Succint and to the point!

Heisenberg
19-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Reposting these Championship goal stats for comparison

Cummings - 68 Games / 39 Goals = 0.57 goals per game
Graham - 58 / 29 = 0.50
El Alagui - 48 / 23 = 0.48
Malonga - 43 / 17 = 0.40
Keatings - 97 / 35 = 0.36
Baird 197 / 61 = 0.31

He'd score plenty goals in this divison with the supply he'd get from our midfield. Better record than El Alagui who people loved and some even proclaimed if he hadn't been injured then we wouldn't be in this division any more. Graham is exactly what we need.

GreenNWhiteArmy
19-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Neil - no offence but never really get that tbh.
If it was when Farid was injured for instance and Graham was being looked at to replace i'd be hoping for better. If challenged for an alternative name I might have come up blank.
We ended up with Malonga.
Because I couldn't come up with that name (had never heard of the player) does that means we should have went with Graham? That Malonga didn't exist or not viable? Others not out there?

Could say anybody you want really, doesn't mean anything.

As for writing people off before they kick a ball..
The Jose Marie Del Potro Sanchez argument is a bit flawed too IMO.
People know Graham and have their own informed opinion they are entitled to. It's okay to say trust Neil Lennon but if you know the player you have your own thoughts. If you have no opinion of Jose Maria I would trust Lennon because I've not informed opinion weighing against it so would happily go with his judgement. Nothing to do with exotic sounding.

If Lennon wanted to bring back Vine or James Collins people wouldn't be happy. Same could be said that we can't right them off, not kicked a ball, trust Lennon, they could fit a system, might be improved etc. Its not laughable

Bottom line

This is a football forum - people are expressing their opinion
On a prospective signing. Some think will be good, some think will be bad, some inbetween. Nothing wrong with any of that. If there is it's the death knell of a football chat forum

& narurally EVERYONE here however will want him to be brilliant for us if he does come in

totally understand and respect the fact everybody can have differing opinions but from what I'm reading on previous pages Graham is being judged on who he played for and not really on ability.

How many people have actually seen him play regularly? My personal opinion (and this is not a dig at you btw) is that some people expect every single player we sign to be a "big name" not like Jan Venegoor of Hesselink type big name but someone that is banging goals in at a high level. bottom line is we are in the championship and the stats shown above from Graham's record whilst in this division, in addition to goal record compared to other strikers we have had shows that he is more than capable of being our 4th choice striker.

our entire current first team are either players that have come through our academy or were signed from teams that play in the same division or lower at the time of signing (other than Mcgeough) and although John Mcginn dropped a division St Mirren are now in the same league

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 10:57 AM
totally understand and respect the fact everybody can have differing opinions but from what I'm reading on previous pages Graham is being judged on who he played for and not really on ability.

How many people have actually seen him play regularly? My personal opinion (and this is not a dig at you btw) is that some people expect every single player we sign to be a "big name" not like Jan Venegoor of Hesselink type big name but someone that is banging goals in at a high level. bottom line is we are in the championship and the stats shown above from Graham's record whilst in this division, in addition to goal record compared to other strikers we have had shows that he is more than capable of being our 4th choice striker.

our entire current first team are either players that have come through our academy or were signed from teams that play in the same division or lower at the time of signing (other than Mcgeough) and although John Mcginn dropped a division St Mirren are now in the same league

I agree with you on that score. I couldn't care where they come from or where yhey have been. I don't think we make full use of potential young players from lower leagues. No qualms over Sproule or Insall type deals.
Don't really expect big names either - though would be nice.
Basically I just know Graham seeing him first hand and don't think he's very good is all.
I would temper that by saying I felt largely the same about Mixu before he signed and look how that turned out.
If he comes then hope I'm proved wrong.

Stevie Reid
19-08-2016, 11:31 AM
If Graham were being judged solely on how good a goalscorer he is, everyone on this board would be delighted to have him.

Re: Holt, I'd be amazed if he isn't considered a hero among the Hibs support by the end of this season.

Fergus52
19-08-2016, 12:27 PM
I very much enjoy & appreciate your posts but i was underwhelmed with Grant on Saturday. I hope & expect him to bring a lot to the team but he's got to step up & if he's our target man we have to play a system that supports him properly.

He was poor on Saturday but was excellent against Falkirk, Brondby and Motherwell

WeeRussell
19-08-2016, 12:46 PM

:agree: I agree with you, apart from I don't think the system was to blame for him on Saturday.

He did not have a good game on Saturday, regardless of how much he spoke to others. He may well prove to be a very good signing, and I hope he does, but let's not pretend his "intelligence of play" has given him pass marks already.

Finn2015
19-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Can't see much on this in other circles, may be just rumour and nothing more

The Leith Dutch
19-08-2016, 03:27 PM
we don't need players to play in the division above,we need them to get promotion.hearts and Rangers both revamped their teams when they got up.

I guess what I'm shooting for is a sensible balance.

Promotion is to an extent the only thing that matters this season I'd just really like not to have too many players to shift on and bring in next season - I've kind of enjoyed the recent transfer windows where we don't need a whole new team :)

That said - as long as we're up next season I'll be happy.

Edson Arantes
19-08-2016, 03:46 PM
I guess what I'm shooting for is a sensible balance.

Promotion is to an extent the only thing that matters this season I'd just really like not to have too many players to shift on and bring in next season - I've kind of enjoyed the recent transfer windows where we don't need a whole new team :)

That said - as long as we're up next season I'll be happy.

We'll be up definitely.

GGTTH :flag:

Dom'sFirstTouch
19-08-2016, 04:48 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Lennon sees Cummings and Holt as our strike partnership for the season, so any additional forwards signed are going to be back up for the foreseeable future. We already have Keatings (and Boyle to an extent) as back up for Cummings, so we need some for Holt. Graham seems like a solid enough candidate for that role to me.

StevieCowan
19-08-2016, 05:44 PM
SC understands that Brian Graham has signed for Hibs.

northstandhibby
19-08-2016, 05:45 PM
SC understands that Brian Graham has signed for Hibs.

:thumbsup:

GGTTH

sixtwo
19-08-2016, 05:51 PM
I will be gutted if that clumsy oaf ends up at hibs. He is worse than Nish at the end of his career.

That kind of signing is a slap in the face to the fans who have backed the club. Utter tripe!!! The last time I was this annoyed about a signing was when Butcher came to us!!

Billy Whizz
19-08-2016, 05:52 PM
I will be gutted if that clumsy oaf ends up at hibs. He is worse than Nish at the end of his career.

That kind of signing is a slap in the face to the fans who have backed the club. Utter tripe!!! The last time I was this annoyed about a signing was when Butcher came to us!!

So you don't rate him😄

bingo70
19-08-2016, 06:01 PM

Thats how I felt when I saw he was linked with us, I was in a bad mood then though 😂

Fwiw I chilled out a bit when I saw his scoring record at this level, cuts pretty impressive.

In terms of his comparison to Nish, I was never his greatest fan but I did mention last season if we had a no frills big huddy up front like Nish that just stood up top and took their chances they'd have scored about a hundred goals over the last two seasons! I've never seen a team miss so many chances.

scoopyboy
19-08-2016, 06:03 PM

boo, hiss, jeer

portycabbage
19-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Oops. Now edited, promise it was a typo and not a Freudian slip

Best typo since the BBC wrote of Sam Nicholson in a match report "his bundled sh*t bounced wide"

My_Wife_Camille
19-08-2016, 06:14 PM
I like him. Think he'll be a good signing.

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2016, 06:14 PM

That kind of signing is a slap in the face to the fans who have backed the club. Utter tripe!!! The last time I was this annoyed about a signing was when Butcher came to us!!Hopefully this post is a joke.

Onceinawhile
19-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Almost complete according to Kenny millar

hibs0666
19-08-2016, 06:16 PM

Ah, you're a credible ranter then. I like credible ranters.

AlbertK86
19-08-2016, 06:18 PM
I will be gutted if that clumsy oaf ends up at hibs. He is worse than Nish at the end of his career. That kind of signing is a slap in the face to the fans who have backed the club. Utter tripe!!! The last time I was this annoyed about a signing was when Butcher came to us!!

I'm hoping this is some sort of sarcastic post cos if he has signed and he reads this He'll be chuffed with the backing!

I'm more than happy with this signing if it is true or does happen

Heisenberg
19-08-2016, 06:19 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7226581/Hibs-close-to-signing-striker-Brian-Graham-from-Ross-County.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20160819-_-Football-_-549184110

Done deal....well not quite yet :greengrin

Pretty Boy
19-08-2016, 06:20 PM
I'd be happy with this signing. A fine goalscoring record at this level and offers another option.

Hopefully the guy is given a fair crack at the whip and manages to prove the many doubters wrong.

Mikey09
19-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Give it up man!! He's no even in a Hibs strip yet and you're ripping him!! The only thing utter tripe is you're ridiculous post.

Smartie
19-08-2016, 06:21 PM

As I mentioned earlier, this was pretty much my reaction when we signed the immobile thirty something Mixu.

Contrast that to my excitement upon signing Hakim Sar Temsoury (the next Zidane), Peter Guggi (Champions League experience), Michael Hart (finally, we get a decent right-back), Edwin De Graaf (youtube showreel man) and you start to get an inkling of what I know about football.

Give the laddie a chance.

Heisenberg
19-08-2016, 06:22 PM
I'd be happy with this signing. A fine goalscoring record at this level and offers another option.

Hopefully the guy is given a fair crack at the whip and manages to prove the many doubters wrong.

County fans reckon he'll split the support. His record looks decent tbh.

Craig_in_Prague
19-08-2016, 06:23 PM
AS I mentioned earlier, this was pretty much my reaction when we signed the immobile thirty something Mixu.

Contrast that to my excitement upon signing Hakim Sar Temsoury (the next Zidane), Peter Guggi (Champions League experience), Michael Hart (finally, we get a decent right-back), Edwin De Graaf (youtube showreel man) and you start to get an inkling of what I know about football.

Give the laddie a chance.

Pls. Stop it.
I have to drink a lot to try forget such players.

Smartie
19-08-2016, 06:27 PM
County fans reckon he'll split the support. His record looks decent tbh.

Most of our players split the support. We've got a one-club man who is the first man on our club's history to win both cups with us, has been MOTM in a cup final, played 300+ games for us, plays a number of positions, never gets injured, has a magnificent attitude and got more assists than anyone last season and he STILL manages to split the support.

I think I'd settle for him splitting the support. Better than us being in unanimous agreement about his abilities a la Rowan Vine.

neil7908
19-08-2016, 06:44 PM

I've made my thoughts on Graham pretty clear in this thread but this is way over the top. If he had in fact signed he gets my backing 100%.

Lago
19-08-2016, 06:46 PM

Exactly, I think he will prove to be a more than decent signing.

Lago
19-08-2016, 06:50 PM

Utter tripe, thats the only way to describe your post!!!!!

mentalhibee
19-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Would be happy with this signing, we need a physical presence up top. Good option to have!

Heedersnvolleys
19-08-2016, 07:01 PM
If Graham signing is almost done who's the other then ? If NL is saying he wants another 2?

Finn2015
19-08-2016, 07:05 PM

Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think 😂

bingo70
19-08-2016, 07:08 PM
He'll be a better option to bring off the bench when trying to get a goal than Jordan Forster.

RoxburghHibs
19-08-2016, 07:09 PM
If Graham signing is almost done who's the other then ? If NL is saying he wants another 2?

Gary Mackay-Steven? Not ITK just my guess 😀

Theinsider
19-08-2016, 07:23 PM
GMS or commons plus a defender. My guess

Gatecrasher
19-08-2016, 07:26 PM
This isn't a signing designed to exited the fans this guy will be brought in to do a job we all know needs to be done from time to time. Too often the last couple of seasons we have been needing a player like this, Holt is a good option but we need someone else as well. I hope he's an effective player for us.

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 07:31 PM
No fan of Graham. Feels like a step back. If he signs though he gets a clean slate and 100% backing.

Can't help but feel short changed after the rallying call to boost Lennons budget unless there's more to come

Enough said
19-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Welcome Brian graham... You will have my full support just like the manager gets every week . Let's get out this league this season that's the aim. Far to many people on here seem to know better so good luck with the boo boys.

eastmainsmsh
19-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Where does Kenny Miller fit with Huns getting garner

johncrobertson@
19-08-2016, 08:00 PM
It amazes me how many on here know exactly what we need better than Neil and the wider back room team!! How anybody can write off a player before he even plays is truly beyond belief. This signing is exactly what we need, has a great scoring record in this league, and won't give teams that park the bus a minute.

Enough said
19-08-2016, 08:02 PM
It amazes me how many on here know exactly what we need better than Neil and the wider back room team!! How anybody can write off a player before he even plays is truly beyond belief. This signing is exactly what we need, has a great scoring record in this league, and won't give teams that park the bus a minute.
This 👍🏻👏🏻

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Not keen on this, he has two first names, when was the last time we signed someone like that who was any good?

johncrobertson@
19-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Matty Jack!!!!

Jonnyboy
19-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Not keen on this, he has two first names, when was the last time we signed someone like that who was any good?

Steven Fletcher? :greengrin

Enough said
19-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Surely your no going that????

blackpoolhibs
Matty Jack!!!!

:thumbsup:Thats the only one i can think of, there's probably plenty but my mind has gone blank????:confused:

Hamish

Hakim Sar-Temsoury?

bingo70
19-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Scott Allan was alright.

I do have a big issue with his name though, far too boring. I much rather we sign exotic sounding foreigners who at least give us a bit excitement until we see them play.

northstandhibby
19-08-2016, 08:08 PM
:thumbsup:Thats the only one i can think of, there's probably plenty but my mind has gone blank????:confused:

Steven Archibald

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Scott Allan was alright.

I do have a big issue with his name though, far too boring. I much rather we sign exotic sounding foreigners who at least give us a bit excitement until we see them play.

:tee hee:

Sergey
19-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Scott Allan was alright.

:hilarious

Dry wit at its best!

Big L
19-08-2016, 08:22 PM
No fee involved!!

Lago
19-08-2016, 08:22 PM
:top marks

BoomtownHibees
19-08-2016, 08:23 PM
In the squad tomorrow?

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2016, 08:23 PM
No fee involved!!

I think they are surnames?

Finn2015
19-08-2016, 08:24 PM

Common sense👍

Iggy Pope
19-08-2016, 08:25 PM

Keith Keith and er, Keith.

Mibbes Aye
19-08-2016, 08:25 PM

Lilian Martin?

He's the opposite of Eddie May, one has a girl's name as a forename, the other as a surname.

Iggy Pope
19-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Nope. Two first names and a surname thrown in the middle. Rank.

Finn2015
19-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Hang on thought Lennon said three before shinnie. So that's shinnie and graham so if he is right, just the one more then?

Diclonius
19-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Lol. People moaning at a striker with a proven track record as our 4th choice. Three years ago this would be seen as a marquee signing.

Sergey
19-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Arthur Duncan is a shoo-in for a first team start!

Finn2015
Lol. People moaning at a striker with a proven track record as our 4th choice. Three years ago this would be seen as a marquee signing.

Ach can never please some. I'm pleased with hibs dealings the past few days and feel more confident about our prospects as a result

RoxburghHibs
Nope. Two first names and a surname thrown in the middle. Rank.

Haha 👍🏼

Heisenberg
19-08-2016, 08:32 PM

Indeed. Why were people so buzzing with El Alagui but are feeling let down with Graham? BG has a better scoring record and isn't injured all the time.

Iggy Pope
19-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Arthur Duncan is a shoo-in for a first team start!

Two second names!

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Indeed. Why were people so buzzing with El Alagui but are feeling let down with Graham? BG has a better scoring record and isn't injured all the time.

El Alagui is a good player

Mibbes Aye
19-08-2016, 08:38 PM
We've had a Martin Scott and have a Scott Martin.

If only we had secured the signature of Collins John from Fulham a few years back then it would have been a double-whammy.

flash
19-08-2016, 08:40 PM

I think we have worked out you don't rate our new signing.

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Was Graham sold the move on the premise of 4th choice striker. Surely you just sign the best you can. Almost feels from all the 4th choice guff that we would turn away better players because they might be too far up the queue!

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 08:42 PM
I think we have worked out you don't rate our new signing.

True - but wouldn't be the first time if i'm wrong and hope that I am. If he signs,I'll back him no worries

Heisenberg
19-08-2016, 08:44 PM

Well we didn't see much of that in a Hibs shirt.

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2016, 08:46 PM
I dunno what kind of budget some on here think we have FFS. We r spending a 3rd season in the 2nd tier ...a couple of thousand extra STs and 2 cup finals don't entirely mask this fact guys...can some get real please ...oh and welcome to the Scottish Cup winners BG - now prove some of these doubters wrong

Golden Bear
19-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Was a good player.

The Green Goblin
19-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Andy Goram?

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 08:51 PM

People just have their own opinions

It was proven managers, ex-internationals etc with wider backroom teams that thought at one point we needed Danny Haynes, Pa Kujabi, Junior Agogo. They thought wrong in those instances. You hope they get it right more often than not but sometimes it doesn't happen.

I wish him the best if he signs :)

GreenCastle
19-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Like the idea of him signing.

Think another bigger type player up top is something we have missed last couple of seasons.

I'm already seeing the impact of Holt - Farid did well when he played but we have been light weight up top.

Would still like to see us sign a left sided wide player and hopefully the keeper finally gets clearance !

Marco G
19-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Like the idea of him signing.

Think another bigger type player up top is something we have missed last couple of seasons.

I'm already seeing the impact of Holt - Farid did well when he played but we have been light weight up top.

Would still like to see us sign a left sided wide player and hopefully the keeper finally gets clearance !
Agreed. Holt has been out for a long time, you can see he will do the business for us as he gets more games and having another strong option up front can only be good. I think we were too predictable last season, and that will not be the same this season.

MacGruber
19-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Well we didn't see much of that in a Hibs shirt.

True Heisenberg, pity for us and the bug fella. If Graham chips in with 10+ he'll have proved more worth to us too - let's hope so

Edson Arantes
19-08-2016, 09:03 PM
Lilian Martin?

He's the opposite of Eddie May, one has a girl's name as a forename, the other as a surname.

Talking of Eddie May - anyone ken his brother Jim?

Finn2015
19-08-2016, 09:03 PM
Erm hate to be awkward but.... Has he actually signed?

Allant1981
19-08-2016, 09:05 PM

Ive backed the club and dont think its a slap in the face, he has a decent enough record in this league so lets see how he gets on before having a go at him and the club

Allant1981
19-08-2016, 09:06 PM

Was a good player, he is done now

Highland_Hibee
19-08-2016, 09:07 PM
If the gaffer thinks he can improve the team then it's a good signing for me. When I think of some of our strikers in recent times then Brian Graham is a great signing.

bingo70
19-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Erm hate to be awkward but.... Has he actually signed?

I'm wondering if we're leaving it till the last minute to keep St Mirren guessing?!

Finn2015
19-08-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm wondering if we're leaving it till the last minute to keep St Mirren guessing?!

Lennon the evil genius!

Wheat Hound
19-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Brian Graham caused havoc v us in the LC final and had a good goal disallowed. I think he's just what we need this season.

Albanian Hibs
19-08-2016, 09:16 PM
His contract with Ross County has now been terminated by mutual consent

Billychaotic182
19-08-2016, 09:32 PM
County announce he is gone hmmm

erin go bragh
19-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Quite a number of County fans raging they have let him go and even more peed off , that he had went without getting a fee . Has scored 4 in 6 games recently.

S4uzee
19-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Brian Graham caused havoc v us in the LC final and had a good goal disallowed. I think he's just what we need this season.

I wouldn't say he caused havoc, let's be serious

Wheat Hound
19-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't say he caused havoc, let's be serious

He contributed to them winning fairly significantly in my view.

Dunbar Hibee
19-08-2016, 09:43 PM
In the squad tomorrow...

bookert
19-08-2016, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't say he caused havoc, let's be serious in my opinion bringing him on at ht changed the game. They started missing out midfield and hitting it early for him to hold or lay off to the two quick guys. He will be an option I think.

The Green Goblin
19-08-2016, 09:46 PM
We've had a Martin Scott and have a Scott Martin.

If only we had secured the signature of Collins John from Fulham a few years back then it would have been a double-whammy.

Cracking thinking and posting, even by your usual high standards. :aok:

The Green Goblin
19-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Talking of Eddie May - anyone ken his brother Jim?

Is that the same Jim who is Teresa and Brian's dad?