PDA

View Full Version : Call me a bed wetter if you like................but.......

Franck Stanton
17-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Here we are near the end of August, the window closes in around a fortnight and as I type, we have not improved our squad to any great effect.

Be patient we are told.

We have supposedly signed a keeper [on loan], but where is he ? Awaiting paperwork we are told. Get it sorted, the 3 points at the start of the season are just as important as those at the edn of it. I for one would rather be the team the others are chasing rather than us trying to play "catch-up" and if anyone thinks the current squad is deep enough to win the league is living in cloud cookoo land. A few injuries to key players will see a dramatic downturn in team performances.

Be patient we are told.

Lennon stated we had McDonald from Motherwell, [irrespective of if you thought he was/is a good player or not], he , at least would have given us another striking option.

Be patient we are told.

We are crying out for an attacking, goal scoring midfield player. Henderson was the faovourite to fill this role. Seems he is not coming [or is he ?].

Be patient we are told.

Shinnie is the latest name dropped by Lennon -- well where is he ?

I know, be patient.

Lennon has also stated he hopes to sign two others [after Shinnie], -- Well where are they ?

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Getting a wee bit boring, get the players in a.s.a.p. , not like we appear to be doing, at the last minute. Typical Hibs, wait til the last minute.

Just for once, I would like to have the squad assembled and ready to go on the first day of the season.

MY PATIENCE ARE WEARING A WEE BIT THIN TO BE HONEST.

ShinyFantastic
17-08-2016, 04:56 PM
The "skoosh the league" and "let's get knocked out of every cup in the first round" squad will be all over you like a rash for this post.... But I agree.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Don't be patient. Wet the bed immediately!

:aok:

Brooster
17-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Calm down to a panic.

MWHIBBIES
17-08-2016, 05:01 PM
The part about McDonald tells me you just want signings for the sake of it. Delighted the club have moved away from that terrible mindset.

Wilson
17-08-2016, 05:01 PM
The "skoosh the league" and "let's get knocked out of every cup in the first round" squad will be all over you like a rash for this post.... But I agree.

Surely if we are to skoosh the league we need good players in? Couldn't these people be just as impatient as the OP? I think so but don't let that stop you from having a pop...

Franck Stanton
17-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Calm down to a panic.

Yeah I know ---be patient.

Allant1981
17-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Would you rather we just signed players for the sake of it

hibbysam
17-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Here we are near the end of August, the window closes in around a fortnight and as I type, we have not improved our squad to any great effect.

Be patient we are told.

We have supposedly signed a keeper [on loan], but where is he ? Awaiting paperwork we are told. Get it sorted, the 3 points at the start of the season are just as important as those at the edn of it. I for one would rather be the team the others are chasing rather than us trying to play "catch-up" and if anyone thinks the current squad is deep enough to win the league is living in cloud cookoo land. A few injuries to key players will see a dramatic downturn in team performances.

Be patient we are told.

Lennon stated we had McDonald from Motherwell, [irrespective of if you thought he was/is a good player or not], he , at least would have given us another striking option.

Be patient we are told.

We are crying out for an attacking, goal scoring midfield player. Henderson was the faovourite to fill this role. Seems he is not coming [or is he ?].

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Lennon has also stated he hopes to sign two others [after Shinnie], -- Well where are they ?

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Getting a wee bit boring, get the players in a.s.a.p. , not like we appear to be doing, at the last minute. Typical Hibs, wait til the last minute.

Just for once, I would like to have the squad assembled and ready to go on the first day of the season.

The bit in bold stopped me in my tracks... Get it sorted? What do you want us to do, storm the foreign office demanding we get a work permit same day? Unfortunately things like that are outwith our control.

The three points at the start of the season bit, well here we are, not improved our squad according to you, and sitting with 6 points out of 6 including 3 away to potentially our biggest threat.

This "squad improvement" myth is way off the mark. We have arguably improved our coaching staff, every young player in the squad, McGinn, Cummings etc are one year older. McGeough and Fyvie to return to fitness, once the red tape is lifted we will have dramatically improved our goalkeeper and in turn our defence as a whole...

We are one or two away from having an extremely good squad, Shinnie will do that as will one or two others, but to complain after winning two out of two is beyond extreme.

G B Young
17-08-2016, 05:05 PM
I recall the days pre-Bosman, pre 'transfer windows' when clubs pretty much operated with the same squad for several seasons on the trot, adding just one or maybe two players in the close season and you'd then see the squad photo printed in the paper and you knew that was the squad your team was going with that season.

These days we seem to have no idea what our squad will end up like by the end of August. As the OP says, it's a frustrating state of affairs and on the surface there appears to be a lack of urgency to get anything over the line. I'd thought the prospect of playing under Lennon might carry some clout when it came to bringing players in but there's little sign of that so far. What's the hold-up? Lack of cash? Seems we should be pulling the finger out given how important it is to maintain the winning start to the season. Too many repeats of last weekend's slightly lucky win over Dunfermline will soon see us drop points if we don't stiffen up the squad pronto.

I know Hibs tend to keep things quiet until deals are actually done but at present some sort of official update on progress would be appreciated.

Franck Stanton
17-08-2016, 05:07 PM
The part about McDonald tells me you just want signings for the sake of it. Delighted the club have moved away from that terrible mindset.

Nope, you couldn't be more wrong, personally I am glad the wased out wee scroat didn't sign for us, however, having said that, Lennon obviously wanted him , even went public with it, [wrongly imo], but as he didn't sign for us, - for whatever reason, we havent exactly set the heather on fire to sign another striker now have we ?
Not just sign anyone for the sake of it, but there are good players out there we could sign, probably will at some point over next few weeks, but why the wait ?

Andy74
17-08-2016, 05:07 PM

The club wanted McDonald though?

Ronniekirk
17-08-2016, 05:08 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Your A Grumpy Auld Git right enough
Chill Lennon will Deliver

MWHIBBIES
17-08-2016, 05:09 PM
The club wanted McDonald though?The OP said he just wanted another striking option. Thinking like that got us Kuqi...

Real Emerald
17-08-2016, 05:09 PM
I believe that 3 signings are imminent, one is out injured for six weeks, the other will be 2 weeks away from match fitness (always) and the other will be waiting on paperwork being done before breaking his foot in training. There's always the out of contract players (stuck in Rotterdam) after the window slams shut so it won't be all over just yet. Have patience man 😄

Dom'sFirstTouch
17-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Well we only need to be patient for a couple more weeks, then we can make a true assessment. We need a minimum of a striker and an attacking midfielder (of sufficient quality to replace Stokes and Henderson). Anything less and people will understandably be frustrated.

Jack
17-08-2016, 05:13 PM
6 points out of 6 is all we need to know just now.

I'm as pissed off as all the pissed off supporters that we didn't start the season with a full, settled squad, pre season trained up and having playing plans A to Z drummed into them like it's second nature.

3 points away from home against the team perceived to be among our biggest rivals for the top spot.

3 points against a decent free scoring Dunfermline team who I personally think will probably challenge for a play off spot in this league.

Canny argue that 6 out of 6 is the best start we could have hoped for.

sixtwo
17-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Bedwetter!!!

We have won both our league games! That's what is important. We want quality not quantity.
We will get three new players in before the window closes or soon afterwards.
We will continue to win our league games too!

DaveF
17-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Would you rather we just signed players for the sake of it

No, but given the lack of time left before the window ends, its looking likely that any signings will be just that sort.

Kato
17-08-2016, 05:16 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Is your real name Rusty Bedsprings?

Pretty Boy
17-08-2016, 05:19 PM
I have a bit of sympathy with the OP tbh.

We have started the season just fine in the league, results wise, but to be 5 competitive games into the season with a weaker squad than last year and allowing for a settling in period when new signings do arrive I'm a bit concerned.

Finn2015
17-08-2016, 05:19 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Actually agree with you 100%. Getting dubious as to shinnie and any other signings tbh

HibsNutter
17-08-2016, 05:24 PM

Be patient we are told.

We have signed an international class goalkeeper, fantastic for our level. The problem with paperwork is not our fault and he should be available for the weekend. And if you haven't noticed we've taken maximum points from our league games. We aren't chasing anyone.

Be patient we are told.

He said it was close to be being completed. McDonald tried to mess the club around in contract talks in the end and I am happy he isn't here. The club WILL 100% be working on strikers to bring in.

Be patient we are told.

Andrew Shinnie is on the brink of signing, a player who would walk into every SPL team aside from Celtic. He is a better player than Henderson, who although has a lot of potential and his deliveries in the final have landed him legendary status, wasn't a guaranteed starter for us last season.

Be patient we are told.

Yes, be patient. Transfers aren't competed at the push of a button. There are a lot of things to sort, arrangements with his family moving etc. This isn't football manager. He will sign.

I know, be patient.

Who knows. Struggle to see why you'd doubt the clubs ability to attract players given our track record in bringing in players able to play at a higher level than the Championship in the last couple of years e.g Allan, McGeouch McGinn, Fyvie, Gray, McGregor, Stokes (not likely to see a repeat of this calibre of player at this level, though), Henderson, El Alagui, Holt and by the looks of things Marciano as well, to give some examples.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

sleeping giant
17-08-2016, 05:24 PM
I must confess to worrying a little.

Kojock
17-08-2016, 05:25 PM
The transfer window has turned into a game of poker and is all down to mind games between players, agents and club chairmen/women. It's all down to who blinks first. Some you win some you lose. That's the gamble.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Shinnie has arrived.

Better get the mops out, folks.

HibsNutter
17-08-2016, 05:30 PM
And would you look at that, Shinnie has just signed. :greengrin

Baw187
17-08-2016, 05:31 PM
There's one off your list GAG. Shinnie signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
17-08-2016, 05:31 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Lol :greengrin

sleeping giant
17-08-2016, 05:32 PM
I must confess to worrying little.

:greengrin:

swin1875
17-08-2016, 05:49 PM
😂

SRHibs
17-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Bed wetter.

lord bunberry
17-08-2016, 05:56 PM
I've never been more chilled. We have a squad that would compete at the top end of the premiership, all we needed was minor adjustments to see off the teams that come to defend. In Lennon I believe we have the man to do just that. I couldn't care less about the cups this year. Winning the league is all that matters.

Onceinawhile
17-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Actually agree with you 100%. Getting dubious as to shinnie and any other signings tbh

Aye. Shinnie definitely won't sign.

snooky
17-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Someone asked me what I use (as a bedwetter myself) and I said 'Depends'.

Finn2015
17-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Aye. Shinnie definitely won't sign.

Wow you must have been itching to post that, well done enjoy your moment.

Happy to be proved wrong, welcome to hibs mr shinnie 👍

Franck Stanton
17-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Shinnie has arrived.

Better get the mops out, folks.

Typical, you wait for ages for a bus, get fed up & jump in a taxi just to see the said bus driving down the road. Good signing, hope there are more to follow.

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Typical, you wait for ages for a bus, get fed up & jump in a taxi just to see the said bus driving down the road. Good signing, hope there are more to follow.

Fear not, for every signing there are five mattresses to saturate with urine.

That was how Gary Locke got started in his career.

Pete
17-08-2016, 06:21 PM
It's one of those thread titles that lures you in by not giving any real indication of the content. Deliberately IMO, as it would be correctly ignored by the majority, who are a bit more reasonable, if it did.

Chillax

InchHibby
17-08-2016, 06:22 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Haven't you got a wife to moan at

Finn2015
17-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Haven't you got a wife to moan at

Good luck finding a wife like that. My experience is you can't get a word in edge ways cos she does nothing but moan to the husband (me)

WhileTheChief..
17-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Nobody at Hibs told anyone to be patient about signings.

You just made that all up.

greenlex
17-08-2016, 06:27 PM
So from last year we have replaced El Alagui with Holt. We have replaced our much maligned Goalie with an international one. Brought in another midfielder and tied down arguably our two biggest assets on long term deals. We are not finished yet but with Scott Martins performances pre season I would say our squad is marginally better than it was last season. Bit of pace and another robust striker good for double figures on the goal tally a bit of application we will finish top. No bed wetting here. I'm comfortable with the squad with an addition or two. Not 100% convinced with the manager yet but it's early doors to be judging.

mcfly
17-08-2016, 06:28 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Boring - thank god my season ticket isn't beside you.....

Give it a rest - 2 weeks to go till transfer window ends.

Smartie
17-08-2016, 06:29 PM
There have been a whole load of rubber sheets put on E-bay within the last half hour or so if anyone still feels they need them.

Real Emerald
17-08-2016, 06:30 PM
There have been a whole load of rubber sheets put on E-bay within the last half hour or so if anyone still feels they need them.

They should have waited for International clearance before boing that :greengrin

Premature again maybe?

Franck Stanton
17-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Boring - thank god my season ticket isn't beside you.....

Give it a rest - 2 weeks to go till transfer window ends.

In other words - be patient. :wink:

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Embarrassing. I actually dunno where to begin. We're already 5 ahead of Falkirk and what is it,3? Ahead of United so unless we go on a winless run for the next few weeks we won't be playing catch up with anyone.

I had folk around me on Saturday that after every miss said player was "*****" "waste of space" "bring back Stubbs"

Let's have a bit perspective. We have the best team in the division we have 2 out of the 3 best midfielders in our team to return to action in a week or 2.

Players are adapting to a different manager with different methods. This is half the reason I took so long to sign up to this forum or have headphones in at the game because of, in my opinion way over the top reaction.

1875STEVE
17-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Sorry but I disagree about the squad.

On paper we have signed a better keeper, than the one's we had last season.

Holt is better than Dagnall.

Stokes was never staying, and there's no way we could afford a similar player, and it's unrealistic to even think we could.

Henderson is a loss il give you.

The rest needed to go IMO.

Shinnie has now signed.

What do you want?? a Pat Fenlon type signing spree with players of the ability of Kujabi, Doherty, O'Donovan & Deegan or wait until quality becomes available like Stubbs did or Lennon is trying to do with signings like Allan, McGeouch, McGinn & Henderson??

I know what id prefer.....

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Two weeks to go ... don't see any need to panic just yet. I'm still waiting to find out who all these brilliant players being signed by Dundee Utd, Falkirk, Raith Rovers etc are that have us panicking about the limitations of our squad. Currently who is the team that have strengthened so much they are going to leave Hibs eating their dust?

I'm not in the least bit over confident about our chances this season .... but I cant for the life of me, as things stand, see that there is a team in this division any more capable than us of putting together the consistency of results required to win the league.

Waxy
17-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Plastic sheets

Gordy M
17-08-2016, 08:29 PM
To be fair if you had told me we would sign an isreli international, a scottish international and an english international during the transfer window i think most of us would be pretty pleased? :thumbsup:

Hi Heid Yin
17-08-2016, 08:34 PM
I have a bit of sympathy with the OP tbh.

We have started the season just fine in the league, results wise, but to be 5 competitive games into the season with a weaker squad than last year and allowing for a settling in period when new signings do arrive I'm a bit concerned.

I'm with you in this regard.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2016, 08:41 PM
To be fair if you had told me we would sign an isreli international, a scottish international and an english international during the transfer window i think most of us would be pretty pleased? :thumbsup:

Who is the England international?

Gordy M
17-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Who is the England international?

Sorry i thought holt had played for england when he was at norwich? I take it he didnt?

Mikey09
17-08-2016, 08:50 PM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Hibs have never said be patient re signings.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Sorry i thought holt had played for england when he was at norwich? I take it he didnt?

No, but a decent manager would have picked him so I'll give you that one! :greengrin

Gordy M
17-08-2016, 09:00 PM
No, but a decent manager would have picked him so I'll give you that one! :greengrin

Haha yeh i remember there was quite a bit of publicity about him not getting into one squad...maybe the wc in 2010? But i thought he then played in friendlies. Ah well their loss!:thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
17-08-2016, 09:05 PM
I was sorting through my Hibs memorabilia last week and the front cover of a copy of "The Proclaimer" fanzine caught my eye. A picture of 3 skeletons with the caption "Hibs fans wait on pre-season signings" Plus la change! Moaning then, moaning now 😀

In Lennon I trust 🇳🇬💚

Northernhibee
17-08-2016, 09:36 PM
*A ton of waffle cut out for the sake of everyone's sanity*

Six points from six so far. Can't get better than that. BUT IF YOU PUT THINGS IN CAPS LOCK THEN YOU CAN STILL FIND SOMETHING TO GREET ABOUT TO BE HONEST.

Can't you? :rolleyes:

Wilson
17-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Hibs have never said be patient re signings.

Aye they have. Scott Lindsay said it in 2011. I assumed it was an ongoing policy 😋

Dunbar Hibee
17-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Must just be a Dunbar thing. We are all grumpy.

Keyser Sauzee
18-08-2016, 06:22 AM

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

I know, be patient.

Yeah yeah - be patient.

It's the way Modern Football works especially transfer business, your just going to have to be like the rest of us and deal with it. Far too early to push the panic button just yet, I expect us to do the majority of our business within the last few days of the window as players & managers will be holding out until then.

flash
18-08-2016, 06:55 AM
To think our delaying has cost us the chance to snap up John Rankin and Lewis Toshney to name but two.

California-Hibs
18-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Sorry I'm late. We're skooshing the league this year.

Baldy Foghorn
18-08-2016, 07:45 AM
To think our delaying has cost us the chance to snap up John Rankin and Lewis Toshney to name but two.

:greengrin

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 08:39 AM
This thread screams out -

"Who do we want? ANYONE.
When do we want them? NOW"

Type of mentality.

Then a few months down the line we then both said players for being gash.

Im not worried, id rather we signed 4 players with genuine quality, rather than 10 players that make up the numbers, like we used to do under Fenlon, sign anyone who was available and fitted the budget.

Thats how you end up with Kujabi, Heffernan, Vine, etc etc instead of McGinn, Shinnie, Marciano and McGeough.

HappyHanlon
18-08-2016, 11:26 AM
here we are near the end of august, the window closes in around a fortnight and as i type, we have not improved our squad to any great effect.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Lennon stated we had mcdonald from motherwell, [irrespective of if you thought he was/is a good player or not], he , at least would have given us another striking option.

Be patient we are told.

Be patient we are told.

Shinnie is the latest name dropped by lennon -- well where is he ?

I know, be patient.

Lennon has also stated he hopes to sign two others [after shinnie], -- well where are they ?

Yeah yeah - be patient.

Getting a wee bit boring, get the players in a.s.a.p. , not like we appear to be doing, at the last minute. Typical hibs, wait til the last minute.

Just for once, i would like to have the squad assembled and ready to go on the first day of the season.

My patience are wearing a wee bit thin to be honest.

look at me....look at me

Keith_M
18-08-2016, 02:24 PM
OK, if you insist,

Ur a bedwetter

Baw187
18-08-2016, 02:46 PM

"Who do we want? ANYONE.

Type of mentality.

Im not worried, id rather we signed 4 players with genuine quality, rather than 10 players that make up the numbers, like we used to do under Fenlon, sign anyone who was available and fitted the budget.

Thats how you end up with Kujabi, Heffernan, Vine, etc etc instead of McGinn, Shinnie, Marciano and McGeough.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2016, 02:58 PM

"Who do we want? ANYONE.

Type of mentality.

Thats how you end up with Kujabi, Heffernan, Vine, etc etc instead of McGinn, Shinnie, Marciano and McGeough.We also ended up with Claros, Griffiths and Williams tbh. Harsh to just pick Fenlons bad signings.

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 03:01 PM
We also ended up with Claros, Griffiths and Williams tbh. Harsh to just pick Fenlons bad signings.
Claros was murder his first season. Williams looked half decent in a shocking team.

Will give you Griffiths. Doyle was good and he O'Connor done well for 6 months when he brought him back.

Could have also said, Nelson, Tudor Jones, Taiwo, McGivern etc..

To be fair, Fenlons hit rate with signings was pretty poor and yet, he still kept us in the premiership and got us to 2 finals. Were easily a mid table team when he left.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Andy74
18-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Claros was murder his first season. Williams looked half decent in a shocking team.

Will give you Griffiths. Doyle was good and he O'Connor done well for 6 months when he brought him back.

Could have also said, Nelson, Tudor Jones, Taiwo, McGivern etc..

To be fair, Fenlons hit rate with signings was pretty poor and yet, he still kept us in the premiership and got us to 2 finals. Were easily a mid table team when he left.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You could argue that Dje dje, Feruz, Eckersley, Watson, Reguero, Cerny, Anier, Sinclair, Kennedy, Dagnall and Carmichael have not exactly been successful either so I don't think we can say that we have taken to only making good signings that work just yet!

JDHibs
18-08-2016, 03:19 PM
You could argue that Dje dje, Feruz, Eckersley, Watson, Reguero, Cerny, Anier, Sinclair, Kennedy and Carmichael have not exactly been successful either so I don't think we can say that we have taken to only making good signings that work just yet!

Didnt say we only make good, but we have a damn sight better hit rate now than we did 3-4 years ago.

Reguero/Cerny were brought in as back up to Oxley and never expected to set the world a light.

Anier was unlucky with injuries, looked decent when fit but we sent him back to make room for Stokes.

Eckersley was signed to see if he could get fit/help with his rehab.

Carmicheal was a great player at QOS and barely missed a game for 2 seasons before we signed him, just been unlucky with injuries, hopefully hes past them now.

Pretty certain Kennedy looked decent when he played but we didnt play with wingers at the time, didnt he end up getting a decent move for quite a bit of money after he left us?

Andy74
18-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Didnt say we only make good, but we have a damn sight better hit rate now than we did 3-4 years ago.

Reguero/Cerny were brought in as back up to Oxley and never expected to set the world a light.

Anier was unlucky with injuries, looked decent when fit but we sent him back to make room for Stokes.

Eckersley was signed to see if he could get fit/help with his rehab.

Carmicheal was a great player at QOS and barely missed a game for 2 seasons before we signed him, just been unlucky with injuries, hopefully hes past them now.

Pretty certain Kennedy looked decent when he played but we didnt play with wingers at the time, didnt he end up getting a decent move for quite a bit of money after he left us?

Not sure about hit rate but we have had some notable additions which have made up for a number who didn't work out.

You can make a case for why some didn't work out and why some were just back up etc but you could also do the same looking back at previous players. I don't believe managers ever really brought people in for the sake of it, there was some reasoning behind them, many just didn't work. when you hear about how the club was being run in the background then its no surprise!