PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs Watch

SJNB Hibby
16-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Miserable start to the season. Rotherham drew their first match but lost the next two by three goals, and by tomorrow night are likely to be in the relegation zone.
If they get too far behind too soon, he might be the first manager axed, and wishing he hadnt bolted

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-08-2016, 09:17 PM
I hope he turns it around! Good manager, just needs time.

givescotlandfreedom
16-08-2016, 09:18 PM
He had a tough start with us too so hopefully he can turn it around.

Northernhibee
16-08-2016, 09:19 PM
A good manager in a very difficult situation. Missed out on quite a few of his first choice signings.

Really hope he turns it around, in a very small minority of Scottish Cup winning Hibs managers.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2016, 09:19 PM
He picked one of the worst teams he could to go to, wouldn't surprise me if he's punted by xmas.

R'Albin
16-08-2016, 09:21 PM
One of the biggest Hibs legends ever but I'm still not convinced he's that great a manager. Obviously he assembled a good team but it was very unbalanced and failed to get us promoted twice. I am glad he left when he did as I wasn't confident that he would take us up.

h18eeynick
16-08-2016, 09:22 PM
I just started a thread called Rotherham as this post started so feel free to merge !

lucky
16-08-2016, 09:23 PM
He picked one of the worst teams he could to go to, wouldn't surprise me if he's punted by xmas.

This

snooky
16-08-2016, 09:24 PM

Judging by the sounds that were coming out of Rotherham I'm surprised Stubbs chose them. Didn't sound like a team that was on the way up at all.
Akin to jumping out the lifeboat into the Titanic.

Alex Trager
16-08-2016, 09:27 PM

One of the biggest Hibs legends ever but I'm still not convinced he's that great a manager. Obviously he assembled a good team but it was very unbalanced and failed to get us promoted twice. I am glad he left when he did as I wasn't confident that he would take us up.

I agree with both these points

Thegreenside
16-08-2016, 09:28 PM
First manager to be sacked in that division

jacomo
16-08-2016, 09:29 PM
He had a tough start with us too so hopefully he can turn it around.

Good point, he start slowly in both seasons with us. There were good reasons for that, certainly in the first season, but really not what he needs at a team expecting to be in the lower half of the division.

Sir David Gray
16-08-2016, 09:29 PM
I hope he turns it around! Good manager, just needs time.

Time's not something that football managers are generally given.

They just avoided relegation last season by the skin of their teeth and they'll have been hoping to improve on that this year. If it looks like they're going to end up stranded at the bottom, he'll get the boot.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2016, 09:30 PM

Did he have any other opportunities

Hibby Bairn
16-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Pretty tough start though. Wolves at home and then away to Aston Villa and Brighton. The latter two should be vying for the title.

So probably 1 point about what would be expected.

SJNB Hibby
16-08-2016, 09:33 PM

Only one---get us pack into the top division:cb

Tyler Durden
16-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Pretty tough start though. Wolves at home and then away to Aston Villa and Brighton. The latter two should be vying for the title.

So probably 1 point about what would be expected.

Exactly.

He's also building a squad, having signed 3/4 players in the last week alone. Anyone writing Rotherham off after those first 3 fixtures is pretty foolish.

Plenty other teams having poor starts in that division too

Jim44
16-08-2016, 09:41 PM

Could have stayed with Hibs?:dunno: Probably not, as he'd failed twice and another failure could have seriously blotted his copybook. Scottish Cup aside, I'm glad he chose to cut his losses as I'm far from confident that he could have won us the Championship at the third time of asking. Good luck to the guy but he's got his work cut out.

Ricky Bobby
16-08-2016, 09:43 PM
It did not seem to be a great career move when he made the move, but maybe he can turn things round. I dont think he will get a lot of time to get it right.

bigwheel
16-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Could have stayed with Hibs?:dunno: Probably not, as he'd failed twice and another failure could have seriously blotted his copybook. Scottish Cup aside, I'm glad he chose to cut his losses as I'm far from confident that he could have won us the Championship at the third time of asking. Good luck to the guy but he's got his work cut out.

i think he would have breezed it this year...but we will never know - Good luck to him - it is a strange club to choice though...

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2016, 09:46 PM

I don't think so, but i don't really know? I don't think we tried that hard to keep him, perhaps Dempster thought he was not the best man to get us promotion?

Edson Arantes
16-08-2016, 09:47 PM
He is a good manager.

Eyrie
16-08-2016, 09:50 PM
I think Stubbs moved on at the right time for both us and him, but then chose the wrong club to go to.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Tough start for him.

I understand his reason for wanting back down south but it was one of the toughest gigs he could have picked in that league.

seven nowt
16-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Silver rolex

mca
16-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Tough start for him.

I understand his reason for wanting back down south but it was one of the toughest gigs he could have picked in that league.

Rotherham Is / Was - Always going to be a Fight to Stay-Up.. imo..

monktonharp
16-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Could have stayed with Hibs?:dunno: Probably not, as he'd failed twice and another failure could have seriously blotted his copybook. Scottish Cup aside, I'm glad he chose to cut his losses as I'm far from confident that he could have won us the Championship at the third time of asking. Good luck to the guy but he's got his work cut out.aye, your probably right. basically a failure at Hibernian.

O'Rourke3
16-08-2016, 10:16 PM
While I wasn't surprised when he left - his demeanor on the Sunday on the bus for me said there was issues - as I observed it. While disappointed when he chose to leave it was probably a good time to do so. I'll take no pleasure from any future failure as he gave me at least one great day as a spectator. I can only and will only ever wish him and his teams all the best.

Unless that team is a incarnation or variation of Sevco of Midlothian.

The_Horde
16-08-2016, 10:18 PM
While I wasn't surprised when he left - his demeanor on the Sunday on the bus for me said there was issues - as I observed it. While disappointed when he chose to leave it was probably a good time to do so. I'll take no pleasure from any future failure as he gave me at least one great day as a spectator. I can only and will only ever wish him and his teams all the best.

Unless that team is a incarnation or variation of Sevco of Midlothian.

He'd been like that for a few games too.

Eaststandee
16-08-2016, 10:21 PM
I thought the club shop had got some new merchandise in when I seen the title.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
16-08-2016, 10:22 PM
I thought the club shop had got some new merchandise in when I seen the title.

Just Sports just delivered them, it's to commemorate him being announced as Hibs Manager.

Eaststandee
16-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Just Sports just delivered them, it's to commemorate him being announced as Hibs Manager.
That's what the hold up was, 200,000 watches with stubbsy face on them.

Sold out already I heard.

jacomo
16-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Wow.

Do bears do their business in forests?

MyJo
16-08-2016, 10:53 PM
I understand why he moved but I dont think he will see out the season.

Could end up doing his career more harm than good which is a shame.

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2016, 11:28 PM
I will only wish Alan Stubbs well.

Halifaxhibby
17-08-2016, 02:39 AM
My heart bleeds. Pass me the smallest violin in the world!!!. Thanks for the cup stubbo. Next...... its the nature of the game these days unfortunately.

Halifaxhibby
17-08-2016, 02:40 AM
I understand why he moved but I dont think he will see out the season.

Could end up doing his career more harm than good which is a shame.

Really???, please explain....

HoboHarry
17-08-2016, 02:58 AM
My heart bleeds. Pass me the smallest violin in the world!!!. Thanks for the cup stubbo. Next...... its the nature of the game these days unfortunately.
Perhaps, but there is still no need to be churlish.

Halifaxhibby
17-08-2016, 03:39 AM
Perhaps, but there is still no need to be churlish.

Nature of the game these days hobo, only loyalty left is the supporters bud. You dont want to stay at easter road to play or manage???, move on.

HoboHarry
17-08-2016, 03:56 AM
Nature of the game these days hobo, only loyalty left is the supporters bud. You dont want to stay at easter road to play or manage???, move on.
Rubbish. We can move on without being churlish and I thought that's what "Hibs class" meant. That's what I will aim for even if you don"t.......

Jack Hackett
17-08-2016, 05:26 AM
Losing to Brighton at the Amex will be no disgrace for any team this season

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Losing to Brighton at the Amex will be no disgrace for any team this season

Indeed but that's a commonsense comment which is almost absent in the games down South.

Slim Shady
17-08-2016, 06:26 AM
Miserable start to the season. Rotherham drew their first match but lost the next two by three goals, and by tomorrow night are likely to be in the relegation zone.
If they get too far behind too soon, he might be the first manager axed, and wishing he hadnt bolted

He never bolted

Thecat23
17-08-2016, 06:27 AM

Grow up. He won the Scottish cup and as a manager IS now a legend. You really have a dislike for "Stubbo" eh!

Thecat23
17-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Some ridiculous comments about him on this. Schools back today so should be a bit more chilled.

Pete
17-08-2016, 06:29 AM
Guy is a legend. End of.

Some people don't half turn into wallpapers when they've had too many gins.

CRAZYHIBBY
17-08-2016, 06:30 AM
I can't understand why he chose them over us.....he literally jumped ship at the first opportunity
after the cup win......he's made his bed I'm only interested in hibs

HappyHanlon
17-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Wolves away, got a point. The Villa and Brighton matches were always going to be difficult. He'll be judged on matches against the likes of Huddersfield, Bristol City etc...

CRAZYHIBBY
17-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Guy is a legend. End of.

Some people don't half turn into wallpapers when they've had too many gins.

Wallpaper......is that your predictive text lol

Pete
17-08-2016, 06:33 AM
Wallpaper......is that your predictive text lol

Yes. Probably saved me from a wee ticking off as well. :greengrin

Waxy
17-08-2016, 07:04 AM
Could any manager do anything at rotherham? They're already punching above their weight being in the championship.Stubbs could have done better.

confused
17-08-2016, 07:11 AM
I agree , a huge thanks , you will always be a cup winner , but for now ------onwards we go .

Brightside
17-08-2016, 07:13 AM
#hibsclass :rolleyes:

G B Young
17-08-2016, 07:56 AM
When you consider the Scottish Cup burden Hibs carried for more than a century, Stubbs' achievement in guiding the club to May's unforgettable triumph goes down as one of football's all-time great managerial achievements. Throw in a fine derby record, numerous great wins over the Rangers, a series of excellent signings and (along with Dempster) winning back the fans and returning a feelgood factor after years of gloom, I reckon Stubbs did a terrific job and he left with my best wishes.

No, he didn't achieve promotion, but he came close and overall I think he made a great start to his managerial career while at Easter Road. He left us on an amazing high and I hope he does well wherever he goes. It would be wholly wrong to wish him any ill for leaving Hibs.

oneone73
17-08-2016, 07:59 AM
When you consider the Scottish Cup burden Hibs carried for more than a century, Stubbs' achievement in guiding the club to May's unforgettable triumph goes down as one of football's all-time great managerial achievements. Throw in a fine derby record, numerous great wins over the Rangers, a series of excellent signings and (along with Dempster) winning back the fans and returning a feelgood factor after years of gloom, I reckon Stubbs did a terrific job and he left with my best wishes.

No, he didn't achieve promotion, but he came close and overall I think he made a great start to his managerial career while at Easter Road. He left us on an amazing high and I hope he does well wherever he goes. It would be wholly wrong to wish him any ill for leaving Hibs.

100 per cent this.

sleeping giant
17-08-2016, 08:30 AM

Amen

jdships
17-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Judging by the sounds that were coming out of Rotherham I'm surprised Stubbs chose them. Didn't sound like a team that was on the way up at all.
Akin to jumping out the lifeboat into the Titanic.

Your comments are very interesting in the light of comments passed to me by a couple of my friends who are involved with the " Development side "
Both made basically the same comment " Given Eotherhams track record over the past few years it seemed a strange choice for a man ( Stubbs) with a high profile after winning the SC"
Hope he sorts things and gets them up the league !
:flag:

Northernhibee
17-08-2016, 09:03 AM
That's what the hold up was, 200,000 watches with stubbsy face on them.

Sold out already I heard.

They had them all laid out on the club store floor, some roaster was stood on my order telling everyone how he hopes Stubbs fails at Rotherham. Gave him a slap. Nobody wishes failure on Stubbsy.

Not on my watch.

Since90+2
17-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Stubbs is an absolute legend and will always be held in the highest regard by most fans at ER.

Who knows we may even see him back in the managerial role at Hibs some point in the future. Stranger things have happened.

17-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Hoping he can turn things around. Would like to see him successful.

Galahibby
17-08-2016, 09:49 AM

:aok:

Onion
17-08-2016, 10:04 AM

:agree:

Alex Macleish was being interviewed before the Cup Final and said that Hibs could not recover from the crushing last minute defeat by Falkirk just 6 days earlier and that if Hibs manage to beat Sevco, Stubbs should be awarded manager of the year. IMO cup finals are all about good managers and Stubbs proved he's one of the very best. Amazing management.

matty_f
17-08-2016, 10:31 AM

100% agree with this, it seems absurdly churlish to harbour any resentment towards Stubbs after he took the team to Hampden and came back with the Scottish Cup.

This on the back of a League Cup final in the same season, and an exit in the play-offs that was largely due to referees missing glaringly obvious decisions that went against us.

I hope Stubbs goes on to have an excellent career.

Betty Boop
17-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately for him he wont get time.

Thecat23
17-08-2016, 10:39 AM
100% agree with this, it seems absurdly churlish to harbour any resentment towards Stubbs after he took the team to Hampden and came back with the Scottish Cup.

This on the back of a League Cup final in the same season, and an exit in the play-offs that was largely due to referees missing glaringly obvious decisions that went against us.

Stop posting real facts, some folk won't like that.

He didn't fail first season because anyone who could see what he had to build would know it was impossible to win the league. Got us to a semi that year as well.

Second season we played in two of Scotland's major domestic finals lost one (should have won it) by a last min goal and won the biggest cup we haven't seen for 114 year.

All this while missing key players through the season and any team playing that amount of games and some fans still expect to win the league are tuned to the moon. Play offs another last min goal in a game we again were the better side for most of it. Stubbs can't put the ball into the net himself and yes he had his faults but the way some just dismiss him it's actually hilarious!

Hi Heid Yin
17-08-2016, 10:54 AM

:top marksThis 100%

Baldy Foghorn
17-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Don't wish him any bad luck, but had we not won the Scottish Cup, how many would have wanted him to stay on for a 3rd try at trying to get us out of the Championship?

jacomo
17-08-2016, 11:02 AM
They had them all laid out on the club store floor, some roaster was stood on my order telling everyone how he hopes Stubbs fails at Rotherham. Gave him a slap. Nobody wishes failure on Stubbsy.

Not on my watch.

:thumbsup:

Just clocked this beauty amongst some real dross comments.

jacomo
17-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Not on my watch.

Just clocked this beauty.

Give it a couple of months and Rotherham might well have settled in. This criticism of Stubbs is ill-timed.

pacoluna
17-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Don't wish him any bad luck, but had we not won the Scottish Cup, how many would have wanted him to stay on for a 3rd try at trying to get us out of the Championship?
stop posting the truth, some folk won't like that :wink:

R'Albin
17-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Stop posting real facts, some folk won't like that.

He didn't fail first season because anyone who could see what he had to build would know it was impossible to win the league. Got us to a semi that year as well.

Second season we played in two of Scotland's major domestic finals lost one (should have won it) by a last min goal and won the biggest cup we haven't seen for 114 year.

All this while missing key players through the season and any team playing that amount of games and some fans still expect to win the league are tuned to the moon. Play offs another last min goal in a game we again were the better side for most of it. Stubbs can't put the ball into the net himself and yes he had his faults but the way some just dismiss him it's actually hilarious!

I don't think that first line is particularly necessary, barring one poster who was needlessly aggressive towards him I don't think anyone on this thread has said anything unreasonable.

If we're talking about 'what ifs' like you are about the Falkirk game, I'm almost certain that if we hadn't made that monumental comeback at Hampden then well over half the people on this board would have been wanting him sacked. Thankfully it did and it provided me with the best day of my life, but it doesn't mean I've completely forgot about our awful start to 2016.

Under him we arguably went on our worst run in my memory, it may not have been as lengthy as Butcher's run, but the quality of teams we were losing to was absolutely horrendous. He recruited well but he still couldn't create as a side that would regularly beat the poorer teams. I think Lennon is currently suffering from Stubbs's failure to bring in wide players with pace.

Edit - I see BF made the exact point I did in paragraph one whilst I was typing.

Smartie
17-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Just clocked this beauty.

Give it a couple of months and Rotherham might well have settled in. This criticism of Stubbs is ill-timed.

I fear that a few witty timepiece related puns might wind up a few people.

matty_f
17-08-2016, 11:16 AM

I would have - he was a baw hair away from beating Falkirk in the play-offs, and had refs done their jobs properly we likely would have had a go at Kilmarnock as well.

That alone wouldn't have been good enough, I suppose, however there are two major cups to win in Scotland, and Stubbs' Hibs side competed in both finals in the same season, winning the Scottish Cup.

You look at The Rangers and Celtc, even they find it difficult to get to two cup finals in the same season (I'm not counting the Petrofac Cup nonsense).

He got us European football and left behind a side that certainly didn't shame Scottish football when we went to Denmark, again but for a shan linesman who knows how we might have done?

I get that everyone pretty much accepts that not getting promoted represents a significant failure - but see if we got to have that season again this year, I'd bite your hand off for it.

It was probably the most exciting and exhilarating season I can remember as a Hibs fan. Depressing at times, of course - but the high in May exceeded the post-play off low a million times over and then some.

Smartie
17-08-2016, 11:34 AM
He took over with us at our lowest ebb.

His derby record was excellent.

His signings were generally excellent.

He brought entertaining players like Scott Allan, John McGinn, Anthony Stokes and Dylan McGeouch to the club.

He got the team passing the ball again after the aberration that was Butcher.

He improved young players like Hanlon and Cummings.

He had to compete with strong Rangers and Hearts sides who had major financial or "time to prepare to be promoted" advantages.

His cup record was generally very good - 2 finals and a semi-final whilst in the Championship.

His record in the play-offs was poor but frankly they are a bit of a lottery. He was also badly let down by poor refereeing decisions in the play-offs last season.

He won the f*****g Scottish Cup. Read it again if you must.

And then he was dignified and reasonable upon leaving, and was then dignified and reasonable in not coming back for the best of our players after he left. I bet his new team could do with a John McGinn right now.

Exactly what does somebody need to do to be considered a success and leave with our best wishes?

No talk of "aye, but he should have done a bit better in the league" can undo all of the good things that Stubbs did in my eyes.

Just think of what Neil Lennon inherited and compare that to the day Terry Butcher was booted out the door.

He should be bloody knighted if you ask me, and if wishing Rotherham well is all I can do then that's what I will do.

Onion
17-08-2016, 11:36 AM

A moot point.

Swedish hibee
17-08-2016, 11:43 AM

But we DID win the cup.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2016, 11:46 AM
It appears promotion is our number 1 aim this season, was it not under Stubbs? :confused:

bigwheel
17-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Mixed views on that I'm sure - I would have though - not just for him , but for him and his coaching team - currently , I remain to be convinced that Lennon and his team are as good - time will tell - I hope they are better...

jacomo
17-08-2016, 11:56 AM
I fear that a few witty timepiece related puns might wind up a few people.

Perhaps. Will be interesting to watch what happens at Rotheram. I just hope Stubbs isn't living on borrowed time already.

1875STEVE
17-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Anyone slagging Stubbs needs their head looking at.

Legend.

BUT.....

I reckon he will be out the door at Rotherham by Christmas, they don't have the finances to compete, going down i reckon.

Jumped ship too early, i reckon a bigger club would have come calling.

Hi Heid Yin
17-08-2016, 12:21 PM
He took over with us at our lowest ebb.

His derby record was excellent.

His signings were generally excellent.

He brought entertaining players like Scott Allan, John McGinn, Anthony Stokes and Dylan McGeouch to the club.

He got the team passing the ball again after the aberration that was Butcher.

He improved young players like Hanlon and Cummings.

He had to compete with strong Rangers and Hearts sides who had major financial or "time to prepare to be promoted" advantages.

His cup record was generally very good - 2 finals and a semi-final whilst in the Championship.

His record in the play-offs was poor but frankly they are a bit of a lottery. He was also badly let down by poor refereeing decisions in the play-offs last season.

He won the f*****g Scottish Cup. Read it again if you must.

And then he was dignified and reasonable upon leaving, and was then dignified and reasonable in not coming back for the best of our players after he left. I bet his new team could do with a John McGinn right now.

Exactly what does somebody need to do to be considered a success and leave with our best wishes?

No talk of "aye, but he should have done a bit better in the league" can undo all of the good things that Stubbs did in my eyes.

Just think of what Neil Lennon inherited and compare that to the day Terry Butcher was booted out the door.

He should be bloody knighted if you ask me, and if wishing Rotherham well is all I can do then that's what I will do.

:top marksThis 100%

Smartie
17-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Anyone slagging Stubbs needs their head looking at.

Legend.

BUT.....

I reckon he will be out the door at Rotherham by Christmas, they don't have the finances to compete, going down i reckon.

Jumped ship too early, i reckon a bigger club would have come calling.

I'm not convinced.

He's used his knowledge from his time here to secure players like Vaulks and Allan, who will provide him with good value. That should leave him with enough of a budget to at least be competitive, and they did manage to get a good enough squad together to stay up last year.

I think he'll do fine. He only needs to keep them in a reasonably safe position and to be mingling in the boardrooms at the likes of Villa, Newcastle (or more likely) Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday in order to line up his next move.

Rotherham's a foot in the door in the Championship. He'll raise his profile there in a way he could never do with us.

GreenLake
17-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Stubbs delivered the biggest Hibs trophy in my lifetime with one of the lowest player budgets. He took a failing squad and turned it into a team of winners playing attractive football in a massive fixture pileup.

1875STEVE
17-08-2016, 12:40 PM
I'm not convinced.

He's used his knowledge from his time here to secure players like Vaulks and Allan, who will provide him with good value. That should leave him with enough of a budget to at least be competitive, and they did manage to get a good enough squad together to stay up last year.

I think he'll do fine. He only needs to keep them in a reasonably safe position and to be mingling in the boardrooms at the likes of Villa, Newcastle (or more likely) Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday in order to line up his next move.

Rotherham's a foot in the door in the Championship. He'll raise his profile there in a way he could never do with us.

Having a look at their fans forum. they aint happy.

Saying he's out of his depth, and should have stayed in the 'pub league'.

Paloschi
17-08-2016, 12:45 PM

That's funny considering our reserves beat a Birmingham side higher up that them in the league. They will be relegated to a proper pub league this season anyway.

We also have players that would walk into their XI.

Smartie
17-08-2016, 12:59 PM

There's something a bit depressing about our club playing football at a level that makes us fair game to get the pish ripped out of us by Rotherham fans.

KeithTheHibby
17-08-2016, 01:07 PM
I like Stubbs and wish him all the best down south however I am not entirely convinced his signings from Scotland are going to prove to be good enough which in turn could lead to his downfall.

G B Young
17-08-2016, 01:08 PM

You make it sound as if winning the cup was almost a given, some sort of safety net to soften the blow of not getting promotion. In my view, winning the Scottish Cup was arguably a tougher ask than promotion given how much pressure the club was put under by the media etc who would roll out the 100+ years stat at every opportunity.

As for promotion, we were denied a stonewall penalty in that first play-off game v Falkirk which could have altered the whole course of the tie. Sometimes you're just unlucky.

Personally, I'd have been happy to see Stubbs stay on but I can understand why he left when he did. He gave us two overwhelmingly positive seasons and for long-suffering Hibs fans that's not something you can say very often.

pacoluna
17-08-2016, 01:17 PM

The pub league that he couldn't get us out of

Baldy Foghorn
17-08-2016, 01:57 PM
You make it sound as if winning the cup was almost a given, some sort of safety net to soften the blow of not getting promotion. In my view, winning the Scottish Cup was arguably a tougher ask than promotion given how much pressure the club was put under by the media etc who would roll out the 100+ years stat at every opportunity.

As for promotion, we were denied a stonewall penalty in that first play-off game v Falkirk which could have altered the whole course of the tie. Sometimes you're just unlucky.

Personally, I'd have been happy to see Stubbs stay on but I can understand why he left when he did. He gave us two overwhelmingly positive seasons and for long-suffering Hibs fans that's not something you can say very often.

No I don't, harsh reality we failed in promotion twice. Had he not won SC he would have been cut little slack.

Let's not forget he wanted to leave......

Baldy Foghorn
17-08-2016, 01:58 PM
But we DID win the cup.

Always got to be one smart alec, this time it's your turn, well done:aok:

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2016, 02:11 PM
There's something a bit depressing about our club playing football at a level that makes us fair game to get the pish ripped out of us by Rotherham fans.

Too many folk in England think their level is higher than it is.

Allant1981
17-08-2016, 03:51 PM
stop posting the truth, some folk won't like that :wink:

Thats a question not a statement of truth

euro Hibby
17-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Sometimes memory and tollerance levels are short in football forums and worse in the boardroom. In my view , Stubbs did fine winning the cup in the championship but missing out on promotion 2 years running which is no great shame given that the Championship included both a strong Hearts team and Sevco.

Leaving Hibs was probabbly not a simple choice but I think he sees it as a fast lane to the premier and with his knowledge of the scottish game he has picked up some good players on the cheap. Rotherham might not be a glamour club, but it will let him gain more experience in a bigger fish bowl. The questions is .....? Which is easier ........keep Rotherham up or take Hibs into the top league ?

I say good luck to him.........

Forza Fred
18-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Sometimes memory and tollerance levels are short in football forums and worse in the boardroom. In my view , Stubbs did fine winning the cup in the championship but missing out on promotion 2 years running which is no great shame given that the Championship included both a strong Hearts team and Sevco.

Leaving Hibs was probabbly not a simple choice but I think he sees it as a fast lane to the premier and with his knowledge of the scottish game he has picked up some good players on the cheap. Rotherham might not be a glamour club, but it will let him gain more experience in a bigger fish bowl. The questions is .....? Which is easier ........keep Rotherham up or take Hibs into the top league ?

I say good luck to him.........

I wish Stubbsie nothing but the best, but for the life of me can't see him keeping them off the bottom rung.

Rotherham have a recent history of ditching their manager if things look dodgy, so don't think he will be given the time to achieve his objective like he was at ER.

Very nature of the task before him means there can be no second chance at avoiding relegation and I can see Rotherham being adrift from the rest of the pack come Christmas...with Stubbsie being cast adrift as a result.

eastmainsmsh
18-08-2016, 05:40 PM
I wish Stubbs n co well was gutted when they went the lure of family and leaving after cup on a high. money and championship football added bonus I personally think sky deal has killed our game financially as no way hibs are below Rotherham

SJNB Hibby
21-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Good result yesterday, and away to Barnsley next week---winnable match there. May be he can get on a bit of run---but an awful lot of good teams in that league, with big budgets

Broken Gnome
21-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Great Allan assist yesterday as well.

Whether you like him or not.

NAE NOOKIE
21-08-2016, 02:44 PM

I want Stubbs to succeed wherever he goes, I have no ill will towards Rotherham either. But the day I'm bothered about fans of a club whose history is hardly worthy of a footnote in the history of Yorkshire football, never mind British football 'ripping the pish' is the day I'll stop watching football :faf:

mutley
27-08-2016, 08:43 PM
I see Rotherham got pumped 4-0 by Barnsley today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1875STEVE
27-08-2016, 09:26 PM
I see Rotherham got pumped 4-0 by Barnsley today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad to see, but as I said before, sacked before xmas.