PDA

View Full Version : Oh what a day song

hughio
16-08-2016, 08:44 AM
I was very disappointed this excellent ditty did not make it to the fans repertoire against Dunfermline.Practised it with my 7 year old endlessly.Told the newsagent and the hibby neighbours it was going to be our new song but never heard a peep at the match.:confused:
Its our own song ,we've won the Cup .It was our first league home game since.16K fans.Come on guys...

To the tune of "Oh What a Night"...

"Oh what a day
Hampden on the twenty first of May
Last minute winner by Davie Gray
What a feeling
What a day"

Maybe our famous away support can give it a whirl at Murren park on Saturday??

:flag::flag::flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-08-2016, 09:37 AM
I would very much doubt it.

lyonhibs
16-08-2016, 09:38 AM
I would very much hope not.

Fixed that for you.

HappyAsHellas
16-08-2016, 09:53 AM
A few folk tried to give it a go on Saturday...............it failed miserably.

Edson Arantes
16-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Not good I'm afraid.

AL-Qaholik
16-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Just.....just no.

IanM
16-08-2016, 12:08 PM
There's a reason it never got sung.

HTD1875
16-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Maybe everyone ripping the piss out of the OP could come up with something better?

scuttle
16-08-2016, 12:37 PM
I was very disappointed this excellent ditty did not make it to the fans repertoire against Dunfermline.Practised it with my 7 year old endlessly.Told the newsagent and the hibby neighbours it was going to be our new song but never heard a peep at the match.:confused:
Its our own song ,we've won the Cup .It was our first league home game since.16K fans.Come on guys...

To the tune of "Oh What a Night"...

"Oh what a day
Hampden on the twenty first of May
Last minute winner by Davie Gray
What a feeling
What a day"

Maybe our famous away support can give it a whirl at Murren park on Saturday??

:flag::flag::flag:
Oh what a tune
if you think we'll sing it
then youre wired to the moon
if you sing this song
then you are a goon
what a feeling
what a song

Callyballybe
16-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Hmm. I actually liked it when it was first posted on here. Shame it didn't take off. Surprised it's getting a bit of hate now.

Keyser Sauzee
16-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Maybe everyone ripping the piss out of the OP could come up with something better?

Why, the OP asked folk to sing the song and people are saying no giving their reasons which I agree with.

hibee92
16-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Was sung a good few times in Copenhagen, love it!

lyonhibs
16-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Why is there this near-constant need to "come up with" anything, never mind better than that well intentioned but cringey effort of the OP? Hibs have a great songbook of rousing, traditional songs and few newer ones to choose from.

I'm all for encouraging the more debonair and creative element of our support, but 95%+ of new song suggestions either require the co-ordination of a world class Welsh male voice choir or are utter gash.

hughio
16-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Why is there this near-constant need to "come up with" anything, never mind better than that well intentioned but cringey effort of the OP? Hibs have a great songbook of rousing, traditional songs and few newer ones to choose from.

I'm all for encouraging the more debonair and creative element of our support, but 95%+ of new song suggestions either require the co-ordination of a world class Welsh male voice choir or are utter gash.

Oh well.At least you said "Well-intentioned"unlike some of the crueller posters.:thumbsup:
Quite surprised at the pasting I've taken over this but hey ho that's opinions for you.

One reason I posted is that I do not agree with you that we have a good selection of songs.That "hate Jam tarts and we hate Dundee" if its the height of our "traditional " repertoir is cringeworthy IMO.

SaulGoodman
16-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Oh well.At least you said "Well-intentioned"unlike some of the crueller posters.:thumbsup:
Quite surprised at the pasting I've taken over this but hey ho that's opinions for you.

One reason I posted is that I do not agree with you that we have a good selection of songs.That "hate Jam tarts and we hate Dundee" if its the height of our "traditional " repertoir is cringeworthy IMO.

:agree:

Unless a songs been suggested by this Since1875 or whatever they go by now any new songs don't get a look in.

Of course they do give us such instant classics like the Andy Halliday song or my personal favourite *clap**clap**clap* Hibs ditty

Greencore
16-08-2016, 03:45 PM
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

HTD1875
16-08-2016, 04:04 PM

Yeah I understand that and agree just thought the comments were a bit harsh. I prefer the traditional when the hibs went up to lift the Scottish cup number anyway.

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2016, 04:07 PM
It's quite an uplifting ditty, but it had to be sang in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup euphoria to stand the chance of gaining traction.

We've now reverted back to our nastier default setting of songs that have a dig at the opposition.

For it to work it needs an extra verse, to give it somewhere to go, and preferably one that mocks Rangers or, better still Hearts.

Pete
16-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I like threads like this as you sometimes get an actual goer amongst all the rubbish...as long as the rubbish is discarded though and we don't end up singing songs that sound awful because nobody questioned it (the McGinn song could have done with a bit of tweaking)

People are flogging a dead horse trying to make up songs to "oh what a night". That's a few been tried now and they've all been, erm, not very good. I don't think the tune works as a football chant anyway.

10/10 to the OP for effort though and it takes guts to start a song then sing it.

wearethehibs
16-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Now that this has been slated by a lot of people on .net Ill be sure to be singing this at the top of my voice throughout the season.

frazeHFC
16-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Love it, very catchy wee song had it in my head constantly the past few days at work

gando
16-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Oh what a day

Hibs3-2
16-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Cracking song!

mca
16-08-2016, 08:40 PM
It's quite an uplifting ditty, but it had to be sang in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup euphoria to stand the chance of gaining traction.

We've now reverted back to our nastier default setting of songs that have a dig at the opposition.

For it to work it needs an extra verse, to give it somewhere to go, and preferably one that mocks Rangers or, better still Hearts.

Cheers Bob.. Saved me some Typing.. Not a Bad wee tune.. But i Agree That it needs another Verse....

Northernhibee
16-08-2016, 09:06 PM
(to Daddy Cool)

The twenty-first of May,
Header from David Gray x2

David, David Gray,
David, David Gray x2

(repeat)

Also suggested fitting "Jason Cummings our number thirty-five" into "Brimful of Asha on the forty-five" before as it's almost perfect and super simple as well.

Seeing as how people couldnae pronounce "Allez" without it becoming "Ally" it needs to be super simple.

Nameless
16-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Why is there this near-constant need to "come up with" anything, never mind better than that well intentioned but cringey.

Cringey?? Anymore cringey than screaming and crying on the floor of a pub in Germany, Lyon? Any more cringey than balling like a baby in a pub full of strangers in Musselburgh (that would be me). The vast majority of football chants are hate filled diatribes against a perceived "enemy". I love that the most recent songs are celebrations of our players, and I applaud the OP for trying to celebrate our greatest EVER day in song - didn't make me cringe.

Edson Arantes
16-08-2016, 09:28 PM
New song threads :confused::confused:

Nothing wrong with the current repertoire.

GGTTH :flag:

northstandhibby
16-08-2016, 09:29 PM
(to Daddy Cool)

The twenty-first of May,

David, David Gray,
David, David Gray x2

(repeat)

Also suggested fitting "Jason Cummings our number thirty-five" into "Brimful of Asha on the forty-five" before as it's almost perfect and super simple as well.

Seeing as how people couldnae pronounce "Allez" without it becoming "Ally" it needs to be super simple.

I like that one, helps I quite liked a couple of Boney M's.

Glory Glory

HTD1875
16-08-2016, 09:36 PM
(to Daddy Cool)

The twenty-first of May,

David, David Gray,
David, David Gray x2

(repeat)

He's Jason Cummings number 35,
2 down at tynie but he kept it alive.

Edson Arantes
16-08-2016, 09:48 PM

Beauty.

Northernhibee
16-08-2016, 10:13 PM

Last line doesn't quite fit, could have "Jason Cummings our number 35, two down at Tynie, kept the dream alive"

The "Everyone needs a bosom for a pillow" could even be "Jason has got the touch of an angel, Jason has got the touch"

northstandhibby
17-08-2016, 09:42 AM
I've always loved the Turnbulls Tornado's song which has died away so what about an updated not so good but not unpleasant variation. Go easy please, just trying to come up with a good tribute song. I've got some decent talents but not versed in songwriting anyway here goes,

To the tune of Turnbulls Tornado's which everyone should already be familiar with.

A double from Stokesy the winner from Gray,
Scottish Cup Final 21st of May,
The Hibs had a party the Huns walked away,
They just couldnae take it that fine sunny day.

Hibs Hibs the boys in the green,
the best brand in football we've ever seen,
Hibs Hibs the boys in the green
The Scottish Cup Winners of 2016,

The Huns started crying and made up some fibs
of players being assaulted and cracked in the ribs
They just couldnae handle the boy's in the green,
The legends and heroes of 2016.

Hibs Hibs the boys in the green................

GGTTH

hibee_nation
17-08-2016, 11:46 AM
First line factually incorrect i'm afraid but good effort

northstandhibby
17-08-2016, 12:02 PM
First line factually incorrect i'm afraid but good effort

Yep correct, Two from Stokesy, Just remember two headers last ten minutes keep putting Sir David planting the two of them.

Sorted, cheers.

Glory Glory

northstandhibby
19-08-2016, 07:46 AM
I've always loved the Turnbulls Tornado's song which has died away so what about an updated not so good but not unpleasant variation. Go easy please, just trying to come up with a good tribute song. I've got some decent talents but not versed in songwriting anyway here goes,

To the tune of Turnbulls Tornado's which everyone should already be familiar with.

A double from Stokesy the winner from Gray,
Scottish Cup Final 21st of May,
The Hibs had a party the Huns walked away,
They just couldnae take it that fine sunny day.

Hibs Hibs the boys in the green,
the best brand in football we've ever seen,
Hibs Hibs the boys in the green
The Scottish Cup Winners of 2016,

The Huns started crying and made up some fibs
of players being assaulted and cracked in the ribs
They just couldnae handle the boy's in the green,
The legends and heroes of 2016.

Hibs Hibs the boys in the green................

GGTTH

Made a couple of changes don't know if it made any difference but hey ho.

GGTTH

Ultrabee1-0
19-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Some of our songs are shocking the one for Darren McGregor is absolutely brutal😂😂

Craig_HFC
19-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Some of our songs are shocking the one for Darren McGregor is absolutely brutal😂😂

The Darren McGregor song is class.

Ultrabee1-0
19-08-2016, 09:43 AM
The Darren McGregor song is class.

It's brutal haha! He's a class defender haha come on eh, we can come up with better than that!