PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dalian Atkinson

Keyser Sauzee
15-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Its being reported Dalian Atkinson is the man who has died after being tasered by police in England, sad news.

He was before my time as a player but played at the highest level.

RIP if true.

Moulin Yarns
15-08-2016, 10:23 AM
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2015-2016/former-villa-star-dalian-atkinson-dies-after-being-tasered-by-police_sto5723682/story.shtml

Yep, being reported now.

Scottie
15-08-2016, 10:25 AM
I remember him as a quality player in his Villa days.

Sad news indeed no matter what the circumstances were. RIP.

JimBHibees
15-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I remember him as a quality player in his Villa days.

Sad news indeed no matter what the circumstances were. RIP.

His goal where he got an umbrella as his celebration was brilliant.

lord bunberry
15-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Sad news. I remember him well, the Villa had a right good team in those days.

Finn2015
15-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Shocking news remember him well. RIP

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Sad news remember him well.

hibsdaft
15-08-2016, 10:46 AM
THAT goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A9G6RVkepg

Pedantic_Hibee
15-08-2016, 11:06 AM
A good player in his day but if he's been tasered can only imagine he was up to no good. Then again....

1875STEVE
15-08-2016, 11:07 AM
As a Villa follower I'm gutted.

The Villa side he was in was cracking, Saunders, McGrath, Staunton, Daley, Teale etc.

Won a couple of cups iirc and pushed Man U most of the way in the 91/92??? title race.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-08-2016, 11:10 AM

The Villa side he was in was cracking, Saunders, McGrath, Staunton, Daley, Teale etc.

Won a couple of cups iirc and pushed Man U most of the way in the 91/92??? title race.

Was that under Big Ron? They were an entertaining side back then.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-08-2016, 11:12 AM

Villa are my English team as well and largely down to Dean Saunders and Atkinson when I was a young lad. Absolutely gutted at the news this morning [emoji26]

Baader
15-08-2016, 12:07 PM
A very good player. Remember him playing at ER for Villa against us in Alan Sneddon's testamonial. Kenny Dalglish was playing for Hibs and despite not having as much mobility he totally ran the show. Keith got a hattrick and Kenny set up two of them.

Smartie
15-08-2016, 12:11 PM

It was a brilliant side.

I remember loving our very own Garry Parker - always thought he was a massively under-rated player.

Dalian Atkinson was a brilliant player, what a sad loss.

hibsbollah
15-08-2016, 12:30 PM
A good player in his day but if he's been tasered can only imagine he was up to no good. Then again....

Our police force hardly has a great track record in identifying who is 'up to no good' before pulling the trigger.

Barman Stanton
15-08-2016, 12:36 PM
He played at Easter Road in Sneddons testimonial.

AltheHibby
15-08-2016, 02:31 PM
I seem recall Karren Brady asking Ron if Dalian was his son? Great player in his day. We could do with more like him at Villa now.

Pete
15-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Our police force hardly has a great track record in identifying who is 'up to no good' before pulling the trigger.

I'm willing to bet that 99.99 percent of people who have been tasered have been correctly identified as "up to no good" or have resisted arrest. They know the possible consequences and don't do it lightly.

Maybe there should be a bit more publicity regarding the procedures and measures our police have to go through to protect the public and themselves during confrontational situations. There might be a drop in resisting arrest and therefore these unfortunate incidents.

P.s. More of a general point as I don't know the facts of this case.

hibsbollah
15-08-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm willing to bet that 99.99 percent of people who have been tasered have been correctly identified as "up to no good" or have resisted arrest. They know the possible consequences and don't do it lightly.

Maybe there should be a bit more publicity regarding the procedures and measures our police have to go through to protect the public and themselves during confrontational situations. There might be a drop in resisting arrest and therefore these unfortunate incidents.

P.s. More of a general point as I don't know the facts of this case.

I would disagree, and bet that 100% of people who have been tasered will be CHARGED with resisting assist or similar, whatever 'resisting arrest' actually means in reality. You clearly have more faith in the police than I do, not to use resisting arrest (very hard to disprove without witnesses or CCTV as in the Ian Tomlinson case) as a carte Blanche to do whatever they want.

1875STEVE
15-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Was that under Big Ron? They were an entertaining side back then.

Aye, he built a superb side, then Brian Little/John Gregory both won cups, with a side built on Big Ron's.

Edit Big Ron won the cup, not Gregory

1875STEVE
15-08-2016, 04:21 PM
It was a brilliant side.

I remember loving our very own Garry Parker - always thought he was a massively under-rated player.

Dalian Atkinson was a brilliant player, what a sad loss.

Yeah Parker was a good player as well.

Also had Mark Bosnich (brilliant at Villa) Andy Townsend and Ray Houghton in that side aswell.

1875STEVE
15-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Villa are my English team as well and largely down to Dean Saunders and Atkinson when I was a young lad. Absolutely gutted at the news this morning [emoji26]

When names on the strip first became a big thing, I went down to Colin Campbell's on Leith Walk and got Saunders across the back of this bad boy......

Andy74
15-08-2016, 04:58 PM
When names on the strip first became a big thing, I went down to Colin Campbell's on Leith Walk and got Saunders across the back of this bad boy......

Colin Campbell was at Inverleith wasn't it?

Eyrie
15-08-2016, 06:12 PM
:agree: Corner of Eildon Street from memory. Long time since I was down that way though.

Jim44
15-08-2016, 07:45 PM
:agree: Corner of Eildon Street from memory. Long time since I was down that way though.

Did he not also have a shop at the far end of Causewayside?

Greentinted
15-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Did he not also have a shop at the far end of Causewayside?

Aye, foot of Ratcliffe Terrace. Great wee shop that was, Colin gave our local Sunday League Team some cracking deals on kit and equipment. Top bloke.:aok:

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-08-2016, 08:54 PM

Still my favourite ever Villa top. Got it up the attic at my folks with other old tops. The wife got me the home version last year from the retro store with Saunders 9 on the back.

1875STEVE
15-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Was there not one on Leith Walk????

just down from the opening to Brunswick Road??

There was defo a sports shop, may not have been Colin Campbell's mind.

1875STEVE
15-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Still my favourite ever Villa top. Got it up the attic at my folks with other old tops. The wife got me the home version last year from the retro store with Saunders 9 on the back.

Ive still got loads of my old villa tops, but not sure what happened to that one.

I loved this one, still got it, but id need to lose a stone or five to get in it now....

This was my fave though :aok:

eastmainsmsh
15-08-2016, 09:50 PM
RIP Dalian Atkinson he was a great player should've been capped such a shame to lose your life in this way

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Ive still got loads of my old villa tops, but not sure what happened to that one.

I loved this one, still got it, but id need to lose a stone or five to get in it now....

This was my fave though :aok:

Haha that was my second favourite behind the green stripe. I had Curcic on the back [emoji23] Mind him? Sasa Curcic. Looked a superstar at Bolton but then never quite performed the same at Villa. This seasons away is a wee nod to that top I think, although not as smart.

Moulin Yarns
16-08-2016, 05:44 AM
Looks like the Police over reacted according to one eyewitness

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37082207

"They were shouting and kicking so much all I could hear were the boots hitting him."And then the officer who released the Taser stepped back while the other officer still continued to kick and then I could hear him shout to the other officer that was still kicking, 'Back off, back off, back off.'
"And then the officer with the Taser asked the gentleman to put his hands behind his back and did so probably two or three times and reactivated the Taser another four or five times after that. "

Renfrew_Hibby
16-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Looks like the Police over reacted according to one eyewitness

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37082207

Sounds more like a report from Baltimore rather than Telford.

jgl07
16-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Sounds more like a report from Baltimore rather than Telford.

Yes but it was in the Trench. Nothing surprises me about that place. My grandparents lived most of their lives in the Trench. My grandfather was a beat bobbie on those mean streets.

Back to Dalian Atkinson. At the height of his career with Villa he was managed by Ron Atkinson. Karren Brady had just taken over as CEO of Birmingham City and met Big Ron at a reception. She somehow had got itinto her head that Dalian and Ron were related. She asked Ronif Dalian was his son! Big Ron went along with and confirmed that he was! She then talked about how nice it must be to work with your son.

Renfrew_Hibby
16-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Yes but it was in the Trench. Nothing surprises me about that place. My grandparents lived most of their lives in the Trench. My grandfather was a beat bobbie on those mean streets.

Back to Dalian Atkinson. At the height of his career with Villa he was managed by Ron Atkinson. Karren Brady had just taken over as CEO of Birmingham City and met Big Ron at a reception. She somehow had got itinto her head that Dalian and Ron were related. She asked Ronif Dalian was his son! Big Ron went along with and confirmed that he was! She then talked about how nice it must be to work with your son.
And they put her in the Lords!

LancashireHibby
16-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Haha that was my second favourite behind the green stripe. I had Curcic on the back [emoji23] Mind him? Sasa Curcic. Looked a superstar at Bolton but then never quite performed the same at Villa. This seasons away is a wee nod to that top I think, although not as smart.
He was an utter lunatic. Went on strike when he was at Palace to protest NATO bombing of Serbia. Also an adult movie star and without doubt one of the finest individual talents I've seen in a Bolton shirt, even including the likes of Okocha and Djorkaeff. Our 95/96 side was pretty pants after Bruce Rioch went to Arsenal not long after winning promotion in 95 (with the side that day featuring Stubbs and Mixu) but Curcic scored some unreal goals that season.