PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

lord bunberry
13-08-2016, 05:49 PM
How good was he when he came on today. Well done wee man.

hibee_girl
13-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Him and McGeough changed the game :agree:

We'd been crying out for someone with pace to be brought on

Jim44
13-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Him and McGeough changed the game :agree:

We'd been crying out for someone with pace to be brought on

:agree: Boyle was good, but I thought McGeouch was the catalyst that won the game for us. If he could stay fit, he would be priceless for us.

green day
13-08-2016, 05:56 PM
:agree: Boyle was good, but I thought McGeouch was the catalyst that won the game for us. If he could stay fit, he would be priceless for us.

McGeogh ball to Boyle (only man on the park who could have reached it) and Dunfy defence switched off/JC35 did his stuff.

Magic stuff.

JimBHibees
13-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Agree he was class and totally changed the flow of the game. His pass to Boyle for the goal was superb.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
13-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Dylans ability to pick out the right pass and Boylers attitude won us that game.

Scott Allan Key
13-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Agree he was class and totally changed the flow of the game. His pass to Boyle for the goal was superb.

Agreed. There were quite a few times on the other wing where a brave pass with pace, cutting open their defence or someone taking on a man was required. The few times we had able and willing runners the timid option was chosen and moves broke down.

DM also looked for the ball in a variety of areas in the pitch and gave both defence and midfield an option to keep a tempo to possession. He is a fulcrum for our team when he can offer that.

Hibs90
13-08-2016, 06:06 PM
He actually won a couple of headers which I was surprised at.

Smartie
13-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Boyle is a very important player for us and it frustrates the life out of me that we don't use him more.

Scooter
13-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Boyle is a very important player for us and it frustrates the life out of me that we don't use him more.

Especially this season I have been impressed with him since he came back for preseason

Gogs07
13-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Thank goodness that Boyle came on as the game would heading for a draw otherwise.

He was also great at closing down dunfy's defenders in the last 10, so a great substitution:agree:!!

.Sean.
13-08-2016, 06:33 PM
He's a far better footballer than he's given credit for, could say his pace maybe works against him as that's why he's maybe viewed as more of an impact player, which is wrong.

Stevie Reid
13-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Very glad we have him. He's made a lot of sub appearances in his time, but his career goals to starts ratio is 50 in 118. Very impressive.

Was good today, and the two subs combining for the goal was very nice indeed.

Borderhibbie76
13-08-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm frustrated as hell too mate. Why did lennon play wingers in pre season and now we have reverted to this bloody 3 5 2...I don't get it?? I'm hoping it's due to injuries with Dylan and fyvie and also new players to come in...but its a bit worrying tbh

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

coco22
13-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Boyle was brilliant today when he came on, bags of energy and pace that was lacking at that point of the game. I watched him closely during half time today and (although it shd be for a pro) his first touch is absolutely outstanding. Hope he gets a run in the team

J-C
13-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Boyle and Dylan brought the urgency and temporary we were craving and it made a huge difference.

Franck Stanton
13-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Seems to be a bit of an enigma . When he comes into the game from the bench usually plays well and has us crying out for him to start games.

When given that chance - he seems to "freeze" and doesn't perform nearly as well.

Don't get me wrong, I really like squirell, just think he lets himself down too often.

Played really well today and yes, I think he should be given an extended run in future, has the pace to "work" the opposition defenders and is a really good "out-ball" when we are under pressure.

Smartie
13-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Seems to be a bit of an enigma . When he comes into the game from the bench usually plays well and has us crying out for him to start games.

When given that chance - he seems to "freeze" and doesn't perform nearly as well.

Don't get me wrong, I really like squirell, just think he lets himself down too often.

Played really well today and yes, I think he should be given an extended run in future, has the pace to "work" the opposition defenders and is a really good "out-ball" when we are under pressure.

I just think he's like a lot of wingers - he blows hot and cold.

They have days when they are unplayable and days when nothing comes off for them.

Generally speaking I like what he does and imo he's rarely let us down.

His pace terrifies defenders and they have to watch their positioning so that he can't get in behind them easily, leaving more space for other players to pick passes.

Sometimes it can be handy to keep somebody like him back for the bench though - he is even more effective against tired legs.

Sas_The_Hibby
13-08-2016, 07:19 PM
I've come to really like him as a player (don't know him personally! :greengrin ).

Think he is usually more effective coming off the bench though.

Eyrie
13-08-2016, 07:42 PM

I've noticed that as well, so I'd keep him on the bench.

Boyle isn't exactly the most talented of players but he has the knack of being able to maximise his ability.

Stevie Reid
13-08-2016, 07:49 PM
He has a great attitude, and you know he'll always give 100%. His pace will always cause teams bother if utilised correctly, but he has no little skill also.

His ability to play a variety of positions helps also. Been a good signing.

NAE NOOKIE
13-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Never sorry to see him come on, on his day a real danger man .... today was one of his days :aok:

Glory Lurker
13-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Pace. :drool:

keep the faith
13-08-2016, 09:07 PM

This

Golden Bear
13-08-2016, 09:09 PM
This

This twice.

Billy Whizz
13-08-2016, 09:31 PM
We also kept the ball more on the ground when he came on, although Dylan played a part in that. Just wonder if Boyle is more effective us through the middle, and breaking wide, rather than being a winger.
Well played today Martin

Finn2015
13-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Surely knocking on the door of a first team start? Very impressed so far with him

FitbaFolkKen
13-08-2016, 10:59 PM
I like squirrel, it always comes across as he feels it is a privilege for him to play for us.

I thought he was really effective today and gave us some much needed energy when replacing Holt who looked knackered.

coco22
13-08-2016, 11:06 PM
I like squirrel, it always comes across as he feels it is a privilege for him to play for us.

I thought he was really effective today and gave us some much needed energy when replacing Holt who looked knackered.

Holt definitely got a pair of GOC's old shorts on! Posted earlier to praise Boyle (which I uphold BTW) but did turn to my old boy and comment about our desperate need for another striker when he came on up front

FitbaFolkKen
13-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Holt definitely got a pair of GOC's old shorts on! Posted earlier to praise Boyle (which I uphold BTW) but did turn to my old boy and comment about our desperate need for another striker when he came on up front

Agreed, either that or someone to fill the role Keatings is currently playing to free him up to go up top.

EskbankHibby
13-08-2016, 11:21 PM
So does the manager get any credit for making subs that changed the game?

Or is he inept as he did not start with these players/formation in the first place?

Not being a prick, I'm genuinely undecided. I look at the table and we have 6 points on the board, I was in a decent mood then I come on here and now I'm not so sure.

Last 2 seasons a slow start cost us, this season we have started with 2 wins against 2 teams (certainly Falkirk) who could be challenging.

I'll give the manager credit for the moment and hope we are able to strengthen and get out this league.

RoYO!
13-08-2016, 11:28 PM
He actually won a couple of headers which I was surprised at.

His directed header/ flick into the channel was the best link up header all day. He's looking full of confidence, along with Keatings

Smartie
14-08-2016, 07:08 AM

Or is he inept as he did not start with these players/formation in the first place?

Not being a prick, I'm genuinely undecided. I look at the table and we have 6 points on the board, I was in a decent mood then I come on here and now I'm not so sure.

Last 2 seasons a slow start cost us, this season we have started with 2 wins against 2 teams (certainly Falkirk) who could be challenging.

I'll give the manager credit for the moment and hope we are able to strengthen and get out this league.

Yes, he does and so he should.

He's still finding out about the squad and the fact that he's managed to get 6 points on the board allows us to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It will be interesting to see when he alters his starting line-up though.

JDHibs
14-08-2016, 09:44 AM
It amazes me why we dont play with wingers when we have Boyle available.

He has every defender on toast when he comes on as he has unreal pace and hes quite tricky.

Even done well upfront when he came on yesterday.

Only player we have with genuine pace. Got to use him.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eyrie
14-08-2016, 11:32 AM

Both - Lennon gets rightly criticised for repeating Stubbs mistakes and gets credit for accepting that by making the changes.

I'll be "concerned" if he's still making the same mistakes with the starting eleven in a few weeks.