PDA

View Full Version : Minutes applause

IanM
13-08-2016, 06:09 AM
From Cliff Pike.. (Twitter yesterday)

In the 51st minute tomorrow it’s hoped to get a round of applause in memory of Ali Tait, big Hibby and overseas HTV regular. 1/2

Ali recently passed away in Atlanta, his adopted home. His wife Tina will be at ER 2moro so please join in and let’s do Ali proud. RIP. 2/2

WhileTheChief..
13-08-2016, 07:15 AM
And then everyone will turn to each other and ask why are we clapping?

It'll soon be at the stage that we are having multiple minutes applause throughout games.

oneone73
13-08-2016, 07:47 AM

It'll soon be at the stage that we are having multiple minutes applause throughout games.

If anyone deserves one, it's Ali. His widow Tina is over from the US to bring his ashes home and will be at the game. Let's do them both proud.

Oscar T Grouch
13-08-2016, 07:48 AM

And those of us that know what it is for will tell those who don't. Ali Tait was a well kent and liked Hibee, his ashes are getting put on the turf at ER in a private ceremony on Sunday. I for one can take a minute out my day to respect a fellow fan who has died, it really isn't getting to the stage where we are having multiple minutes of applause throughout a game is it? Ali's wife has travelled all the way from the US, we can show her what it's like to be part of the Hibs family.

banarc7062
13-08-2016, 07:52 AM
And those of us that know what it is for will tell those who don't. Ali Tait was a well kent and liked Hibee, his ashes are getting put on the turf at ER in a private ceremony on Sunday. I for one can take a minute out my day to respect a fellow fan who has died, it really isn't getting to the stage where we are having multiple minutes of applause throughout a game is it? Ali's wife has travelled all the way from the US, we can show her what it's like to be part of the Hibs family.

Fully agree.

Pretty Boy
13-08-2016, 07:56 AM

Tuesday was the 1st home game in a while I can remember us not having one and I've not missed any home games in a long while. Whilst it's not multiple a game it does seem a near weekly occurence now.

I'll join in, I didn't know the guy but reading the Bounce he seemed to be a nice guy and a big Hibby. I just worry with things like this if they happen all the time they lose a bit meaning or people get disillusionef with them and stop joining in.

lucky
13-08-2016, 08:31 AM
I think it's a great way for fellow supporters to remember one of our own. I don't care if we do it every week. It shows we care as a club and support
RIP Ali

Scouse Hibee
13-08-2016, 08:41 AM
I get the sentiment of remembering but I hate the fact that such acts are now done with applause rather than silence,it just doesn't sit well with me. I will of course join in as a mark of respect to a fellow Hibby and his family.

Sir David Gray
13-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Tuesday was the 1st home game in a while I can remember us not having one and I've not missed any home games in a long while. Whilst it's not multiple a game it does seem a near weekly occurence now.

I'll join in, I didn't know the guy but reading the Bounce he seemed to be a nice guy and a big Hibby. I just worry with things like this if they happen all the time they lose a bit meaning or people get disillusionef with them and stop joining in.

I get the sentiment of remembering but I hate the fact that such acts are now done with applause rather than silence,it just doesn't sit well with me. I will of course join in as a mark of respect to a fellow Hibby and his family.

Fully agree with both comments.

Absolutely hate a minute's applause and I hate how they seem to have taken precedence over a minute's silence. I also agree that they are happening far too often at games. I've no doubt each person we do it for is as deserving as the one before them but when it happens so regularly, it loses its sincerity in my opinion.

It goes without saying that my thoughts and sympathies go to the guy's family and friends at such a sad time.

CRAZYHIBBY
13-08-2016, 09:45 AM
What makes a well Kent Hibby?.....just curious as loads of hibs fans die yet we only applaud a chosen few.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-08-2016, 09:48 AM
What makes a well Kent Hibby?.....just curious as loads of hibs fans die yet we only applaud a chosen few.

Fair point.

The Green Goblin
13-08-2016, 10:09 AM
I knew Ali for many years, since the early 90s. He was a lovely guy, one of the best, the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet and Hibs was in his blood. I was so sad to hear of his passing and glad that he will be remembered by the Hibernian family at Easter Road today.

Craig_HFC
13-08-2016, 10:20 AM
FFS there are some folk that love to have a moan about absolutely anything.

RIP Ali.

Hibby D
13-08-2016, 10:21 AM
I knew Ali for many years, since the early 90s. He was a lovely guy, one of the best, the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet and Hibs was in his blood. I was so sad to hear of his passing and glad that he will be remembered by the Hibernian family at Easter Road today.

Ditto. I'm also privileged to know his wife Tina. Ali was cremated over in Atlanta so for me today is my opportunity, along with many other friends of Ali, to pay respects in a way that totally befits the man; and I don't say that lightly.

Thank you to everyone who will respect this today. It's being beamed back live to Atlanta so that Ali's American family can be a part of the 51st minute too.

Scouse Hibee
13-08-2016, 10:21 AM

RIP Ali.

You are the only one I can see moaning on this thread, no need .

gjb
13-08-2016, 10:24 AM

Agree 100%

cabbageandribs1875
13-08-2016, 10:25 AM

RIP Ali.

and there's folk that have different opinions to others

fwiw didn't know the guy but will join in applause, RIP Ali condolences to his Family and Friends

Ardenttwo
13-08-2016, 10:34 AM

For Gods sake man show some respect We are a family club and this is what we do

erin go bragh
13-08-2016, 10:36 AM

Sure the minutes silence stopped after that lot across the road booed during the minutes silence for Pope John Paul 2nd . During the Celtic semi at Hampden.
Rip fellow Hibby .

MB62
13-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Ali was a past Editor of Masshibsteria. He really was an all round genuine good guy and has been taken away from his family and friends far too early (He was 51 hence the 51st minute applause).
If fans don't want to join that's absolutely fair enough, but for those of us who like to remember Ali but this small mark of respect, we should be allowed to do so.
My own brother passed away days before we won the Scottish cup but I/we would never consider asking for a minutes applause for H.I.B. he would be cringing in his grave, so it's not every Hibby that passes that we do for (hopefully there's not too many more in the near future) :wink:

Join in on the 51st minute IF you want to pay your respects to Ali, if you don't then just watch the game and keep supporting the team.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry and shocked to hear this. Ali was a great Hibs man and a very enthusiastic guy. Lost touch with him when he moved to the USA and didn't know he'd been ill. RIP Ali.

MB62
13-08-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm sorry and shocked to hear this. Ali was a great Hibs man and a very enthusiastic guy. Lost touch with him when he moved to the USA and didn't know he'd been ill. RIP Ali.

He wasn't ill DB, he apparently died of a heart attack whilst out cycling.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2016, 12:04 PM
He wasn't ill DB, he apparently died of a heart attack whilst out cycling.

That's terrible news. Awful shock to his family. Many thanks for letting me know.

Cardinal G
13-08-2016, 12:08 PM
This may seem repetitive to some but I fully support. We should respect him he was part of the hibs family and it's only right we show his wife how much of a family we are.

hibsbollah
13-08-2016, 12:11 PM
I had a chat with him in the Iona a while back, seemed a proper good guy, RIP Ali.

On the wider point of applause, I would have agreed with the point about there being too commonplace and unnecessary until last month, when my friend David Drysdale was honoured with an applause, which affected so many people close to him. I'm sure Ali's wife will feel the same and I've come to realise that's what matters. Even if we have one every week I won't mind and I'll happily take part in future ones.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Not splitting hairs and what's arranged is arranged, but I know Ali would have preferred the 7th, 62nd or better, the 92nd minute, to the 51st.

JAY-ESS GREEN
13-08-2016, 12:25 PM

RIP Ali.

Well said

Jonnyboy
13-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Tried to reply to this thread on my phone earlier but for some reason it didn't work.

Ali was a friend of mine and you couldn't wish to meet a nicer guy. I'm still struggling with the fact that he's gone and at such a young age.

Will miss you mate. RIP

Billy Whizz
13-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Tried to reply to this thread on my phone earlier but for some reason it didn't work.

Ali was a friend of mine and you couldn't wish to meet a nicer guy. I'm still struggling with the fact that he's gone and at such a young age.

Will miss you mate. RIP

Jonnyboy, I know the name but can't put a face to it. Really sad news

hibby6270
13-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Another point to take account of is that not everyone "tunes in" to Twiiter or .Net all the time.

I haven't been on this week because I also suffered a family loss. My Mum sadly passed away on Wednesday. However, I wouldn't have expected a minutes applause in the 84th minute (her age) because she was mum and husband of 2 life long Hibbies (me and my dad).

The 51st minute came and went today. I didn't applaud. Not out of disrespect but because I had no idea what it was for. In my strange mixed up mind at the moment, I actually thought it was some perverse reaction to "that 2012 cup final scoreline". And that I think sums up what others on here are saying in that doing it too often lessens the effect of what it means.

Which leads to another point on a similar subject. Was there any recognition given to an ex Hibs player who died last week - Joe Davis? If not, surely that would have been a more fitting "applause" tribute today instead of applauding a random Hibs fan who very few people knew, even if he was highly regarded by those who did know him. I would suggest that every Hibby is highly respected/regarded by those who know them but is every death of a Hibby worth a minutes applause?

Not being cruel. Just realistic.

JohnM1875
13-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Honestly don't get the negativity.

I didn't know why we started applauding at minute 51 but I guessed it would have been to a Hibs fans passing.

Applauding for a minute takes minimum effort and you know for a fact it will mean so much to those effected. Can't see what the issue is?

Who cares if it does become a weekly occurrence? Doesn't cheapen it for me and I will always take part.

Sir David Gray
13-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Another point to take account of is that not everyone "tunes in" to Twiiter or .Net all the time.

I haven't been on this week because I also suffered a family loss. My Mum sadly passed away on Wednesday. However, I wouldn't have expected a minutes applause in the 84th minute (her age) because she was mum and husband of 2 life long Hibbies (me and my dad).

The 51st minute came and went today. I didn't applaud. Not out of disrespect but because I had no idea what it was for. In my strange mixed up mind at the moment, I actually thought it was some perverse reaction to "that 2012 cup final scoreline". And that I think sums up what others on here are saying in that doing it too often lessens the effect of what it means.

Which leads to another point on a similar subject. Was there any recognition given to an ex Hibs player who died last week - Joe Davis? If not, surely that would have been a more fitting "applause" tribute today instead of applauding a random Hibs fan who very few people knew, even if he was highly regarded by those who did know him. I would suggest that every Hibby is highly respected/regarded by those who know them but is every death of a Hibby worth a minutes applause?

Nail on the head. :agree:

Eaststandee
13-08-2016, 10:47 PM
I think it means a lot to the family when these take place whether they are well known or not. We should be lucky that we have so many fans that Hibernian meant so much to them. It's a minute out of 90, do it with respect not with a moan.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2016, 11:01 PM
I knew Ali and he was a likable chap, so it was a nice tribute for his friends and family to witness. However, it ultimately makes no real difference to me who they are for, or how many there are, I'll happily cheer along.

Applause at a football match? It might catch on.

Bishop Hibee
13-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Can we not just have a minutes applause at the end of the season for Hibs supporters who have died during the season? It's getting out of hand. Who 'deserves' applause and who doesn't? It's a football stadium not some kind of seudo-church.

hibby6270
13-08-2016, 11:22 PM
I think it means a lot to the family when these take place whether they are well known or not. We should be lucky that we have so many fans that Hibernian meant so much to them. It's a minute out of 90, do it with respect not with a moan.

If you're referring to my post, I wasn't moaning. Just trying to re-emphasise what others have said in this thread.

The minutes applause is meant to have significance to the football club. So the passing of an ex player, ex manager, ex chairman/director - yeah - fair enough.

But to have a round of applause for every Hibs fan that dies is just belittling the whole reason for doing it.

Plus why should one fan be "honoured" this way and another not. In recent years, the 2 ST holders that have sat either side of me have passed away. My dad in 2008 and a guy called Jeff Begg at end of 2015. Both great guys. Both life long Hibbies. Both highly respected and loved by their families. But did they have a minute's applause for them? NO!! Did they deserve a minute's applause? Going by some folks thoughts and comments here - it seems - YES - but realistically it ain't going to happen for everyone. That's the point I'm trying to make

Eaststandee
13-08-2016, 11:46 PM
I honestly wasn't referring to your post buddy, just what I gathered the general consusus was.

Different strokes for different folks mate. My point was it means something to the family, it's not the person setting it up before they die. The majority of grieving loved ones aren't going to look to do this. Although for some people football is all they have or had left and devote their life to the club, and families know this. It's not about who merits it, If your late father or Jeff had a minutes applause, I'd have stood and bowed my head not knowing them, but knowing the fact that hibs were special to them, and I can relate to that.

Also if Hibs/the fans decided to pull back with the minutes applause, I wouldn't be angry, thats fine. But they are happening and I feel they should be part of Hibs, to me it shows that where football is becoming more about economics and people are more than ever feeling disconnected from their communities there is still a place for people to be part of a family.

lucky
14-08-2016, 12:46 AM
I did not know Ali but ffs I bet his widow had a tear in their eye with today's tribute. We should do it every week if a fan deserves it

marinello59
14-08-2016, 04:18 AM
I did not know Ali but ffs I bet his widow had a tear in their eye with today's tribute. We should do it every week if a fan deserves it

Surely a case could be made for every single Hibs fan who passes away to deserve it?
Well done to everyone for the applause yesterday.

LustForLeith
14-08-2016, 05:59 AM
I think because of social media and sites like this one makes the sad passing of fans and minutes applauses more common.

Nowadays you'll have updates on various channels about the wellbeing of fans and tragic deaths where people will give their condolences without actually knowing who the person was.

If say 10/15 years ago a fan who was known to others have passed away it would have been far harder to spread the news and arrange a minutes applause.

I have nothing against it. I didn't know what the applause was for yesterday but joined in nevertheless.

MassHibsteria
14-08-2016, 03:32 PM
I can't imagine anyone - anyone - begrudging their Hibbie comrades the opportunity to mark the passing of a fellow Hibbie.

itslegaltender
14-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Difficult one, but unless it's a former player or official, minutes applause should be restricted. Death of a loved one is a raw time and understand people's intentions but it is getting out of hand.

Some kind of event to mark the passing of Hibee supporters would be a much better alternative.

Sir David Gray
14-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Difficult one, but unless it's a former player or official, minutes applause should be restricted. Death of a loved one is a raw time and understand people's intentions but it is getting out of hand.

Some kind of event to mark the passing of Hibee supporters would be a much better alternative.

It's the times we live in.

The invention of Twitter (in particular) and Facebook means that people can get a huge audience for announcing what they have planned.

There's nothing physically wrong with wanting to mark someone's passing but when it happens so frequently, it begins to lose its meaning.

I personally agree that those things should be restricted to the deaths of people who are/were employed by a Scottish football club and it should be a minute's silence, not an applause.

I don't for one second expect that to happen though.

Lancs Harp
14-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Have to admit that I and those around me had no idea what the minutes applause was for.

SunshineOnLeith
14-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Is it really a tribute if most people are just joining in because other people are doing it, rather than knowing or caring what it's about?

These minute's applauses were something of a trend at first but for whatever reason they've stuck at Hibs - are other teams still having them in what feels like virtually every home game?

theonlywayisup
14-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Difficult one, but unless it's a former player or official, minutes applause should be restricted.

Totally agree.

Fizz
14-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Also fair play to the majority of the Dunfermline fans who took part and who wouldn't have had any idea who it was for.I also feel it has lost its impact and should be saved for ex players/staff or as specified by the club but it's a difficult one if a family member asks for this and I would certainly join in but also when it's a specific minute during the game - what if the opposition scored during the minute?

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-08-2016, 04:47 PM
I don't think anyone on this thread is being disrespectful, people are quite rightly wondering what constitutes a good enough Hibby that they get a minutes applause, as SDG alludes to above people with more savvy social media skills are able to get the info out to a wider audience.

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2016, 09:21 AM
their was mention of the intended applause on a pars fans site by someone that had met Ali

http://dafc.info/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1570212&t=1570212

Arch Stanton
15-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Am not a fan of the minute's applause - a round of applause would be fine by me but a whole minute becomes surreal - can you really respect the dead and watch a game of football at the same time?

I feel sorry for the players to be honest - how can they battle away and try to score a goal when there is a remembrance thing going on?

And how many good hibbies die in a particular fortnight - a good few I would reckon. Is it disrespectful to those who are missed out?

Personally I would be happier with reading out names at start of game and have a short round of applause - something like that. Or even their names in the programme - a bit of a momento.

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2016, 10:58 AM
imagine if whoever we are playing scores after the applause has just started/during

JimBHibees
15-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Some English teams have a minutes silence before the last home game of the season to respect the former players/fans who have died in the previous year. Seems a nice tribute.

CRAZYHIBBY
15-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Some English teams have a minutes silence before the last home game of the season to respect the former players/fans who have died in the previous year. Seems a nice tribute.

That would be a far better way of doing it

bigwheel
15-08-2016, 11:50 AM
That would be a far better way of doing it

agreed..then each of us can remember those we care about..great idea..

BH Hibs
15-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Im sure City used to do this at Christmas or new year along with reading their names out. Mind you with our PA system you might not hear it.

JimBHibees
15-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Im sure City used to do this at Christmas or new year along with reading their names out. Mind you with our PA system you might not hear it.

Yes think that sort of thing would be good, as you say Xmas or New year would make sense also and announcing the names of fans and ex players etc who had passed on along with a minutes silence.

matty_f
15-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Yes think that sort of thing would be good, as you say Xmas or New year would make sense also and announcing the names of fans and ex players etc who had passed on along with a minutes silence.

I'm in favour of this approach as well.

Ozyhibby
15-08-2016, 12:55 PM

Certainly better than what is happening now. I've now stopped participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CockneyRebel
15-08-2016, 01:13 PM

Yes - every single one! Maybe at half time?

CockneyRebel
15-08-2016, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Eaststandee;4791788]I honestly wasn't referring to your post buddy, just what I gathered the general consusus was.

Different strokes for different folks mate. My point was it means something to the family, it's not the person setting it up before they die. The majority of grieving loved ones aren't going to look to do this. Although for some people football is all they have or had left and devote their life to the club, and families know this. It's not about who merits it, If your late father or Jeff had a minutes applause, I'd have stood and bowed my head not knowing them, but knowing the fact that hibs were special to them, and I can relate to that.

Also if Hibs/the fans decided to pull back with the minutes applause, I wouldn't be angry, thats fine. But they are happening and I feel they should be part of Hibs, to me it shows that where football is becoming more about economics and people are more than ever feeling disconnected from their communities there is still a place for people to be part of a family.

Yes - the Hibs family!

S

pogo
15-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I was a friend of Ali's, and I attended the match, and the other events of the weekend. I felt very privileged to be able to attend and in some small way commemorate his life. Ali was a great ambassador for Hibs, and in his home town of Atlanta he had converted many people to the cause. The match on Saturday was on the big screen in his local, Mac Magees, with a full house joining in the applause. These fans, and others that knew Ali, that couldn't attend, but were watching via HibsTV, could at least see how we treat one of our own, and Ali was most definitely that. Thanks to all that joined in.
RIP Ali

JimBHibees
15-08-2016, 01:57 PM
I was a friend of Ali's, and I attended the match, and the other events of the weekend. I felt very privileged to be able to attend and in some small way commemorate his life. Ali was a great ambassador for Hibs, and in his home town of Atlanta he had converted many people to the cause. The match on Saturday was on the big screen in his local, Mac Magees, with a full house joining in the applause. These fans, and others that knew Ali, that couldn't attend, but were watching via HibsTV, could at least see how we treat one of our own, and Ali was most definitely that. Thanks to all that joined in.
RIP Ali

Cheers for sharing that. RIP Ali.

Hibrandenburg
15-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Just come across this thread and am absolutely saddened to hear of the passing of Ali. Is it the Ali Tait who grew up in Wallyford? If so I remember Ali well as being a great gentle guy and excellent scholar. I recall hearing he'd moved state side. Sad sad news and my thoughts are with his family.

NthCarolinaHibs
15-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Just come across this thread and am absolutely saddened to hear of the passing of Ali. Is it the Ali Tait who grew up in Wallyford? If so I remember Ali well as being a great gentle guy and excellent scholar. I recall hearing he'd moved state side. Sad sad news and my thoughts are with his family.
Aye that's the boy..lived just outside Atlanta..

lucky
15-08-2016, 02:29 PM
RIP Ali

This is why it's important we remember our own. Big crowd and the stadium showed its respect. It was Hibs class.

Hibrandenburg
15-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Aye that's the boy..lived just outside Atlanta..

Thanks NCH, Another Good bloke and good Hibby gone. Hope he at least got to see Hibs win the cup. RIP Ali.

NthCarolinaHibs
15-08-2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks NCH, Another Good bloke and good Hibby gone. Hope he at least got to see Hibs win the cup. RIP Ali. Unfortunately not..he was over for the League Cup Final, but not in May..

hibee316
15-08-2016, 03:22 PM
This is why it's important we remember our own. Big crowd and the stadium showed its respect. It was Hibs class.

...but that is the point. There are plenty other Hibs fans who have died and nothing has happened.
Are all of these people undeserving of an applause?

I really don't see the point in the applause, as I feel it is imposing on someone else's grief. I would hazard a guess that there were over 15,000 people who had no idea who the guy was.

If you want to applaud that is fine, but the way this pans out it is fairly obvious if you are not taking part, and the way the social norm at the moment works people will join in regardless.

I don't get how thousands of strangers clapping their hands for an unknown reason is respectful.

I thoroughly agree with having one moment a season to mark respect. Much more poignant.

CockneyRebel
15-08-2016, 03:41 PM
RIP Ali

Every Hibby who passes on has a story as do I and when my time comes I wouldn't mind a wee clap. Read the post above and keep it up guys.

Andy74
15-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Every Hibby who passes on has a story as do I and when my time comes I wouldn't mind a wee clap. Read the post above and keep it up guys.

Got to say I don't want or expect a wee clap on minute74 when I go.

I think former Hibs players and those more formally connected with the club then yes but not just for us punters - many of whom probably pass away each week.

Not a bad idea mentioned earlier about having some moment to remember all who've gone during the year but its becoming just a bit of a formality now that unfortunately makes these much more meaningless than they are intended to be.

Fizz
15-08-2016, 05:09 PM
I don't buy a programme but would there be an option for families to get in touch with the club and maybe get a special mention - maybe a page put aside for special announcements - then the family would have something they could keep in relation to Hibs.

Hibrandenburg
16-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately not..he was over for the League Cup Final, but not in May..

I really meant if he passed before or after the win NCH. I've just checked his Facebook page and he obviously did live to see it.

My last memory of Ali was when he played Puck from Shakespeare's "Midsummer nights Dream" in our school play. Not many guys would be able to wear green tights at Musselburgh Grammar School and get away with it, but Ali nailed it.

RIP Ali.

jacomo
16-08-2016, 02:59 PM

A minutes silence requires agreement of club and officials etc

A minutes applause during the game can be a spontaneous thing organised by fans. That's why it works.

sadtom
16-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Like a few others Ali was a mate, in fact we'd been mates for 3 years before realising we were 3rd cousins.
Punk, politics and Hibs ensured that we would get on from the day we met.
Myself and Ali (and a few others) started the Embra Uni Hibs supporters club. We recognised that there was an huge opportunity to tap into a lot of potential new fans.
Ali pretty much kept this 'evangelical' Hibernian missionary work up till the day he died. :-)
I watched the footage of his wake where several dozen U.S citizens were belting out GGTTH. It was fantastic to see.
Yes not everyone will get a mins applause. The reason being that they (or their families) did not request it, not because they are not 'worthy'.
Given that his wife had made the journey here, some of the hundreds who knew him, thought it would be a nice thing to do so they asked. If anyone feels the need to ask that a loved one be remembered in this way i would hope the club consider any suchlike request.

I dont give a damn if its every week, there have been dozens of people who i dont know who have been given this little send off and everytime i've joined in. Why wouldn't I?
Quite frankly if ye cant get of yer farter and applaud for a minute at a fitba match to show a wee bit kindness and respect to one of your own then hell mend ye.
R.I.P. Ali.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2016, 05:23 PM
We have minute's silence for folk who have never been to easter road, in fact have probably never even heard of us.

I'd have these for our fans who have passed if requested by the family whenever they wanted.

In fact i'd encourage it. :top marks

oneone73
16-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Like a few others Ali was a mate, in fact we'd been mates for 3 years before realising we were 3rd cousins.
Myself and Ali (and a few others) started the Embra Uni Hibs supporters club. We recognised that there was an huge opportunity to tap into a lot of potential new fans.
Ali pretty much kept this 'evangelical' Hibernian missionary work up till the day he died. :-)
I watched the footage of his wake where several dozen U.S citizens were belting out GGTTH. It was fantastic to see.
Yes not everyone will get a mins applause. The reason being that they (or their families) did not request it, not because they are not 'worthy'.
Given that his wife had made the journey here, some of the hundreds who knew him, thought it would be a nice thing to do so they asked. If anyone feels the need to ask that a loved one be remembered in this way i would hope the club consider any suchlike request.

I dont give a damn if its every week, there have been dozens of people who i dont know who have been given this little send off and everytime i've joined in. Why wouldn't I?
Quite frankly if ye cant get of yer farter and applaud for a minute at a fitba match to show a wee bit kindness and respect to one of your own then hell mend ye.
R.I.P. Ali.

Well said Sir.

CentreLine
16-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Clapped along but had no idea why at the time. Happy to do so but couldn't understand why no applause for Joe Davis on three minutes????

Could we start a thread and have everyone put their desired applause on it every week. Who cares if there's 90mins of it every week. Might be a feature of attending ER

MB62
17-08-2016, 08:50 AM
imagine if whoever we are playing scores after the applause has just started/during

I applauded the Dunfy goal because I thought it was a great piece of football from them.

Andy74
17-08-2016, 08:54 AM

R.I.P. Ali.

I don't think there's much need for the stick of fellow fans in the last paragraph and its one of the reasons I'm against this - it is happening too often, people don't know the people they are for and we are going to start giving abuse to fans that don't take part or aren't in favour of this method?

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2016, 09:30 AM

R.I.P. Ali.

I was enjoying reading your post and thought what a lovely scene you were describing, you then ruined it with your last paragraph completely ignoring the points made about folk not even knowing what/who or why the applause was happening.