PDA

View Full Version : Have we or haven't we got money for new signings

eastcoasthibby
11-08-2016, 08:58 AM
I keep reading on here a bit of a mixed bag of comments and thoughts that we might be struggling to finance new signings wages, on the other side of things, that we should have a decent amount still to spend.

For what it's worth, I can't see how we don't still have a very decent wage budget left, and here is why I am thinking that way, and before I get slaughtered this is just my take on things.

If we take last years squad, we have lost Oxley, Conrad, Stokes, Henderson, Farid, Gunnarson, and of course Stubbs, Taff, Doolan all except Conrad would be on decent enough wages for this level of football.

Incoming this season we have Laidlaw, Holt, Lennon and Parker, okay we may have a bit of outlay with the loanees Harris, Stanton coming back, but there wages will be nothing compared to what we were paying for Stokes and Hendo. Lennon and Parker may take up the same wage pot as the previous management team.??

Also need to take into account Hanlon and Cummings on new contracts which might add a couple of grand between them a week.

So looking at the basics of the above and taking no account of the extra that has come in via ST's ( as was quoted in another thread ) 900K ! more than last year and also the cup run money's from last year, which would not be accounted for.

Taking account of all the above, and I don't know the detail of anything in the club financially, but on face value, we should have a pretty healthy kitty, sitting to spend on bringing in new signings. Even if this is a pretty rough look at things, why are we sitting at this stage of the start, of a make or break season for the club, without the right quality and number of players in place or on their way. Something just isn't sitting very comfortably with me just now, with the lack of signings.

I hope that the club and our intrepid financial disaster creator Petrie, isn't back at his games of pulling in the purse strings, because although the squad we have is decent, in my opinion it's not good enough to win this league as it stands and the money that is there needs to be spent and now, learn from previous mistakes let's not wait til it's too late !!!

The fans have invested heavily with excellent ST sales now let's see our money being spent on the park.

Marco G
11-08-2016, 09:05 AM
The last thing we should do is disclose our transfer pot! And I wish folk would stop the Petrie story. To me LD controls the purse strings and if Neil Lennon has identified signing targets she will do her best to get it done. Maybe best to chill out?

staunchhibby
11-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Obsession with Petrie carries on as far as we are aware Leanne Dempster has the say in it all

Betty Boop
11-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Did Leanne Dempster not say we would have a 800,000 loss this season ?

Since90+2
11-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Henderson is on a ridiculously low wage at Celtic for his ability so even if we were paying 100% of it it doesn't amount to much. I would not be surprised if Harris is on more than him currently.

jdships
11-08-2016, 09:29 AM
The last thing we should do is disclose our transfer pot! And I wish folk would stop the Petrie story. To me LD controls the purse strings and if Neil Lennon has identified signing targets she will do her best to get it done. Maybe best to chill out?

Amen to that 100% :agree:
I have been told by two sources who " go about ER " that Lennon is fairly sure he has a squad to win promotion and is working on the premise that in SPL he WILL need to strengthen and is hanging on to a bit of cash
Sounds believeable but as always " time will tell " ! :flag:

Thecat23
11-08-2016, 09:32 AM
If Hibs needed transfer funds JC would already be sold. Anything over £1m for a player in the championship is huge. The fact Hibs can turn it down says a lot about our finances imo.

RoxburghHibs
11-08-2016, 09:35 AM
We have

Spudster
11-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Lennon and Parker may take up the same wage pot as the previous management team.??

I would imagine there is a vast difference here.
One had zero experience in management the other had won the highest prize in Scottish football three times (four attempts) plus two Scottish cups.

Smartie
11-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Amen to that 100% :agree:
I have been told by two sources who " go about ER " that Lennon is fairly sure he has a squad to win promotion and is working on the premise that in SPL he WILL need to strengthen and is hanging on to a bit of cash
Sounds believeable but as always " time will tell " ! :flag:

Sounds believable and pre-Tuesday I'd have agreed with that.

Lennon himself stated that the Birmingham game had given him food for thought - I wonder if Tuesday gave him some more but of a different kind?

JDHibs
11-08-2016, 10:02 AM
In short, nobody really knows except the powers at be.

Certainly no one on here can be sure, they can only give opinion or speculate.

All i can say is i doubt Lennon would have came here if there wasnt some form of transfer kitty/room for movement in the squad after his time at Bolton.

jacomo
11-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Hasn't Lennon said that he expects further additions to the squad?

Perhaps negotiations have not gone smoothly or first choice targets have turned us down. Such is life. The usual injuries are plaguing us of course.

I would love to see one or more of our own development players really step up though.

Ozyhibby
11-08-2016, 10:11 AM
If more people could sign up to HSL, that might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

147lothian
11-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Did Leanne Dempster not say we would have a 800,000 loss this season ?

I think that was before the Scottish Cup final mate

Jim44
11-08-2016, 10:32 AM
It's all conjecture. For what it's worth, I reckon Lennon will go with what he has at the moment, keeping his powder dry to strengthen in January if we're not 'skooshing' it, as some would have us believe.

since90plustwo
11-08-2016, 10:36 AM
I would rather we brought the right players in rather than signing people for the sake of it. Our squad is very decent at this moment in time, obviously do with a couple but it is no where near time to hit panic stations. I think we wil sign an attacking midfielder and a striker

Ozyhibby
11-08-2016, 10:52 AM
It's all conjecture. For what it's worth, I reckon Lennon will go with what he has at the moment, keeping his powder dry to strengthen in January if we're not 'skooshing' it, as some would have us believe.

I very much doubt that is what will happen but if it did it will be a massive mistake.

Betty Boop
11-08-2016, 11:08 AM

Don't know where all this skooshing talk comes from, we don't do skooshing. :greengrin

GloryGlory
11-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I very much doubt that is what will happen but if it did it will be a massive mistake.

:agree: We always hear managers saying how much harder it is to get players in the January window. Why wait if there is someone available now?

smithy_hibees
11-08-2016, 11:15 AM

Think the fans have done there part.. Don't you?? Asking the fans to fork out more money isn't the way forward in getting new body's in..

Nearly 11k season tickets sold in the championship is unbelievable for a team that's failed in 2 season to get out this division, no new home top as yet on sale..

Forza Fred
11-08-2016, 11:18 AM

Cannas agree Jim. Lennon is very proud of his reputation and would want to put daylight between Hibs and any other club ASAP, too risky to hold back until half the season is over.

I just think it's a case of us having to wait to see if some of his 'targets' become available

Since90+2
11-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Lets not forget our season tickets are the 3rd highest priced in the country. Outside Celtic or Rangers there is not a club in the Scotland who would sell 11k season tickets at our prices going into their 3rd year in the Championship.

hibsbollah
11-08-2016, 11:21 AM
We're ****ing loaded. Worry not.

DirtyDeeds
11-08-2016, 11:22 AM

To be honest, I think given your relentless negativity on this board regarding transfer activity, any association you have with HSL is going to be seen as more and more counter-productive. I dont know whether youre officially linked to it in any way or are just an enthusiastic fundraiser (which is hugely commemendable by the way), but if I werent already signed up, I would have serious reservations about giving my money to an organisation that has you and your tiresome p***ing and moaning acting as some sort of spokesperson.

The tone of your messages dont go hand in hand with what I've already said appears to be a really well intentioned effort at bolstering our ability to be effective in the transfer market.

Ozyhibby
11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
To be honest, I think given your relentless negativity on this board regarding transfer activity, any association you have with HSL is going to be seen as more and more counter-productive. I dont know whether youre officially linked to it in any way or are just an enthusiastic fundraiser (which is hugely commemendable by the way), but if I werent already signed up, I would have serious reservations about giving my money to an organisation that has you and your tiresome p***ing and moaning acting as some sort of spokesperson.

The tone of your messages dont go hand in hand with what I've already said appears to be a really well intentioned effort at bolstering our ability to be effective in the transfer market.

To put your mind at ease, I have no official position at HSL.

Ozyhibby
11-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Think the fans have done there part.. Don't you?? Asking the fans to fork out more money isn't the way forward in getting new body's in..

Nearly 11k season tickets sold in the championship is unbelievable for a team that's failed in 2 season to get out this division, no new home top as yet on sale..

Absolutely the fans have stepped up yet again. Just a case of every little helps.

biotech
11-08-2016, 11:33 AM
I'd assume that Lennon has failed to get his first pick signings (e.g. McDonald) and is rightly reluctant to spend on players who may not add anything. However, we do need to strengthen the squad and he'll be force to gamble on a few signings/loans shortly.

Iain G
11-08-2016, 11:39 AM
I'd assume that Lennon has failed to get his first pick signings (e.g. McDonald) and is rightly reluctant to spend on players who may not add anything. However, we do need to strengthen the squad and he'll be force to gamble on a few signings/loans shortly.

I have no doubt we are negotiating for players at present, whether its Henderson or whoever, as always these things seem to take time and our ongoing championship status may count against us if a player has a better offer from elsewhere; would love to have all of our business done by now but think we just need to let Lennon and Leeann do their thing :agree:

fiolex1
11-08-2016, 11:47 AM
It maybe that we're holding back some money to cover any fines etc, from the Pitch Invasion?
When are we expecting to find out of any sanctions or fines fro
m the SFA?

steakbake
11-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Don't know where all this skooshing talk comes from, we don't do skooshing. :greengrin

That word really annoys me - don't know where it has come from.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-08-2016, 11:52 AM
As a big club, facing a third season in he second tier, we do not have money to throw around.Teams who may sell us players should remember that, as should the players themselves in terms of wage demands.

GloryGlory
11-08-2016, 11:59 AM
I have no doubt we are negotiating for players at present, whether its Henderson or whoever, as always these things seem to take time and our ongoing championship status may count against us if a player has a better offer from elsewhere; would love to have all of our business done by now but think we just need to let Lennon and Leeann do their thing :agree:

Yes, and don't forget that players may become available towards the end of the window if they negotiate release from their current contract.

Onion
11-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Bottom line is, failure to win this league is not an option for Hibs. We've got to trust that Hibs are not trying to do "just enough" or on the cheap. There's also a lot at stake for Lennon and I would be amazed if he agreed to take the job without some assurances of money to get the job done.

Every player has his price and Hibs might just not prepared to pay well over the odds for the ones Lennon has targeted, and he has good alternatives.

GloryGlory
11-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Cannas agree Jim. Lennon is very proud of his reputation and would want to put daylight between Hibs and any other club ASAP, too risky to hold back until half the season is over.

I just think it's a case of us having to wait to see if some of his 'targets' become available

Also there's no guarantee that signings in January will have any greater impact than signings now.

KazaHibs
11-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Henderson is on a ridiculously low wage at Celtic for his ability so even if we were paying 100% of it it doesn't amount to much. I would not be surprised if Harris is on more than him currently.

£4K a week isn't ridiculously low :greengrin

JDHibs
11-08-2016, 12:10 PM

If thats accurate that must be double what anyone else is on at the club at present!

theonlywayisup
11-08-2016, 12:15 PM
It's like buying a car................

You've got £10,000 to spend and you're trying to get the best deal up to the date when the new car reg plates are released.

Do you splash the cash early just to get a car within your budget?

Or do you wait a bit closer to the deadline date to see what discounts the garages make - in this case either the club accepting a lower transfer fee or the player willing to accept a lower wage. The player wants a certain wage and holds out for that initially, but when the deadline date gets closer and closer he starts to accept a lower wage.

What do you do with your £10,000 - just buy the first bog standard car that is on the market or do you wait a bit in the hope that you get a much better car for your money.

ekhibee
11-08-2016, 12:29 PM

You've got £10,000 to spend and you're trying to get the best deal up to the date when the new car reg plates are released.

Or do you wait a bit closer to the deadline date to see what discounts the garages make - in this case either the club accepting a lower transfer fee or the player willing to accept a lower wage. The player wants a certain wage and holds out for that initially, but when the deadline date gets closer and closer he starts to accept a lower wage.

What do you do with your £10,000 - just buy the first bog standard car that is on the market or do you wait a bit in the hope that you get a much better car for your money.
What I wouldn't do is wait too long, the car will have depreciated even more by that time and you think you're getting a good deal when in fact you're paying well over the odds. In any case, you get much better value for money car-wise abroad than you ever do in the UK, and particularly Scotland, where car dealers rip people off more than anywhere else I can think of. I can't believe there aren't plenty of good foreign players at reasonable prices that we could afford, particularly if negotiating for a Scottish player takes so long. Just another option I suppose. By the way, I always liked Henderson when he was playing for us, but after the cup final I didn't expect to see him back at ER, and I've seen nothing to suggest that he will be coming back other than vague rumours.

Andy74
11-08-2016, 12:29 PM

I research what I want months in advance and how much I can spend on it then get it as soon as I can when my existing deal allows.

Since90+2
11-08-2016, 12:46 PM

He is not on anything like that at Celtic.

Ringothedog
11-08-2016, 12:54 PM
As a big club, facing a third season in he second tier, we do not have money to throw around.Teams who may sell us players should remember that, as should the players themselves in terms of wage demands.

You are right but they also know that we got to 2 cup finals with all the money made from those cup runs, have sold nearly 11k season tickets and will have made a reasonable amount from our euro games i.e. gate and "prize money" We are not hard up but we certainly don't have loads to spend either.

The_Horde
11-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Commons rumour all dried up?

Risboro Hibby
11-08-2016, 10:56 PM
I just think it is all down to players choices now. Hibs cannot pay top whack as we know. So if we have identified players and made them an offer, then the player and their agent can shop that round other clubs to see if he can get a better deal elsewhere. That's why Sadly I don't expect any signings till the end of the transfer window when those options run out. Hope I am wrong though.

KazaHibs
12-08-2016, 12:23 AM
He is not on anything like that at Celtic.

You forgot to write FACT after it :greengrin

connerg
12-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Lennon is on a huge wage. No TV money. A fine coming our way because of the pitch invasion. We have been losing money for years. Out of Europe and the League Cup.

2500 extra season ticket holders is great but that won't win us promotion. We don't have the money for new signings.

Steve20
12-08-2016, 01:32 AM
Lennon is on a huge wage. No TV money. A fine coming our way because of the pitch invasion. We have been losing money for years. Out of Europe and the League Cup.

2500 extra season ticket holders is great but that won't win us promotion. We don't have the money for new signings.

Then the club shouldn't have made a big thing about getting to 10k season ticket sales to boost the transfer budget. We can't seriously go past 31st August without bringing in another striker at least.

basehibby
12-08-2016, 01:36 AM

Come on it's not all that bad! A certain couple of cup runs to be added to the equation will mean we've got a bit more in the pot than we might have had - we might need to be patient though as it's not like we've got squintillions to chuck about.

HoboHarry
12-08-2016, 01:37 AM

I hope you are big enough to apologise when we do sign the 3 additional players that NL mentioned......

connerg
12-08-2016, 02:18 AM
Where is the money coming from for new signings?

connerg
12-08-2016, 02:42 AM
Then the club shouldn't have made a big thing about getting to 10k season ticket sales to boost the transfer budget. We can't seriously go past 31st August without bringing in another striker at least.

Has the club repaid the faith the fans have shown? 10800 season tickets sold and one signing so far, a 35 year old. Out of two cups. Both of which could have made us valuable revenue. Has anyone noticed how quiet Leanne Dempster has been recently?

HoboHarry
12-08-2016, 03:18 AM
Where is the money coming from for new signings?
How would I know? I'm not party to the budget figures but I have no reason to think that Neil Lennon was lying. Sounds like you do......

HoboHarry
12-08-2016, 03:20 AM
Has the club repaid the faith the fans have shown? 10800 season tickets sold and one signing so far, a 35 year old. Out of two cups. Both of which could have made us valuable revenue. Has anyone noticed how quiet Leanne Dempster has been recently?
Re-signed Hanlon and Cummings as well as brought in an International goalkeeper (as well as a back-up keeper) but hey I can see that choosing to forget those facts might suit your agenda......

connerg
12-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Re-signed Hanlon and Cummings as well as brought in an International goalkeeper (as well as a back-up keeper) but hey I can see that choosing to forget those facts might suit your agenda......

Extending contract's is fine. We never added to the squad. We let two goalkeeper's go, first and second choice. Then got found out in 17 seconds at home.

Ronniekirk
12-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Extending contract's is fine. We never added to the squad. We let two goalkeeper's go, first and second choice. Then got found out in 17 seconds at home.

We did indeed get found out hence we have signed a new No 1 who is awaiting international clearance and wont play v Dunfermline but should be free to play v St Mirren and i ecpect another signing before that game with more to come
Lennons wage is a factor i would think and we could of done with a Cup run
But we are Scottish Cup Holders and will be Top of the Leaugue by Saturday night
Lets keep the feelgood factor going
I

Finn2015
12-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Well it is disappointing. The fans have responded to the clubs target and message and exceeded the target by almost a 1,000 figure and no signings

Jim44
12-08-2016, 07:49 AM
We did indeed get found out hence we have signed a new No 1 who is awaiting international clearance and wont play v Dunfermline but should be free to play v St Mirren and i ecpect another signing before that game with more to come
Lennons wage is a factor i would think and we could of done with a Cup run
But we are Scottish Cup Holders and will be Top of the Leaugue by Saturday night
Lets keep the feelgood factor going
I

It's a piece of nonsense, that, in this day of fast travel and instant communication, a formality like international clearance should drag on for weeks. Unless, of course, there is a serious glitch.

hibs0666
12-08-2016, 07:51 AM
It's a piece of nonsense, that, in this day of fast travel and instant communication, a formality like international clearance should drag on for weeks. Unless, of course, there is a serious glitch.

International clearance might be a formality but that does not mean that it happens as quickly as we'd like. Just because it's not happening as quickly as we'd like does not mean that there is a serious glitch.

GloryGlory
12-08-2016, 07:52 AM

It is not international clearance between the Israeli FA and SFA that is the problem, it is a work permit from the UK government. The EEN says Ofir will have to go to Belgium to sort it out (because that is where he last played). He has passed the English language test, but it is the bureaucracy that is holding things up. Hibs hoping to get it sorted in time for the St Mirren game next week.

Ronniekirk
12-08-2016, 07:58 AM

Lennon saying the keeper passed the speaking english test whatever that is and now needs to head back to Belgium to complete more paperwork to get it over the line He Lennon expects that to be completed by end of next week
But he admitted to beinf frustrated and seemed to indicate he didnt know the intricacies of gettng international clearance and if this had changed since he last brought in players You would think the Club should of had all that sussed and what had to happen and when etc
Maybe post Brexit the goalposts are being changed
Serious Glitch ? Nae idea ,but time will tell

GloryGlory
12-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Lennon saying the keeper passed the speaking english test whatever that is and now needs to head back to Belgium to complete more paperwork to get it over the line He Lennon expects that to be completed by end of next week
But he admitted to beinf frustrated and seemed to indicate he didnt know the intricacies of gettng international clearance and if this had changed since he last brought in players You would think the Club should of had all that sussed and what had to happen and when etc
Maybe post Brexit the goalposts are being changed
Serious Glitch ? Nae idea ,but time will tell

It is not international clearance that is the issue, it is a WORK PERMIT. That is the responsibility of the UK government. I'm sure the club know what to do to apply for a work permit, but I think the club just have to go with the bureaucracy that is in place and any delays that happen. I also don't think you can pre-apply a few weeks in advance because you may sign someone who needs a work permit. The club needed to have made a contract offer and have it accepted before they could apply.

Ronniekirk
12-08-2016, 08:55 AM
It is not international clearance that is the issue, it is a WORK PERMIT. That is the responsibility of the UK government. I'm sure the club know what to do to apply for a work permit, but I think the club just have to go with the bureaucracy that is in place and any delays that happen. I also don't think you can pre-apply a few weeks in advance because you may sign someone who needs a work permit. The club needed to have made a contract offer and have it accepted before they could apply.

Ah that makes sense Thanks for clearing that up So just a waiting hame now

JimBHibees
12-08-2016, 09:06 AM
We also may be waiting to see what punishment fine we get for SC final.

Greenworld
12-08-2016, 10:02 AM
We also may be waiting to see what punishment fine we get for SC final.
That might push us into administration that another thread is talking about [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Vini1875
12-08-2016, 12:07 PM
My feeling is that the situation is not so much about money but rather about being to attract better players than what we have to the Championship.

Since90+2
12-08-2016, 12:23 PM
I dont think its concerns over a potential fine that is stopping us spending as Lennon would not have agreed to join the club without being given a clear indication of the budget. As it stands I think we have enough to win the league but it would be tight , if we can add 2 players who would be automatic first team picks I would fancy us to win it by 10- 15 points.

Smartie
12-08-2016, 12:27 PM
My feeling is that the situation is not so much about money but rather about being to attract better players than what we have to the Championship.

I agree. And no point in wasting money on players who don't improve our squad.

Maybe we're best to go down the loan route? You could understand players not wanting to come on a 4 year contract but you could probably entice a player for a loan deal until January - better playing and getting yourself potentially in a shop window than sitting in the reserves going nowhere at another club.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2016, 12:27 PM

Indeed, NL isn't going to sign player's who don't enhance the squad.

500miles
12-08-2016, 12:35 PM
I'm convinced that we've got players that we really want, but their club are making us wait until they've done their own business.

We take a risk either way I'm afraid.

Andy74
12-08-2016, 12:41 PM
"Strength-in-depth wise I haven’t got much. I’m not unhappy, but I would like to improve it and bring in some players who are going to play. We are striker and a midfielder short."

Assuming that midfielder would be Henderson because he says we are still waiting for an answer on that one we can only expect one striker after that?

I don't think that would be enough and won't have addressed our issues in quality and pace in wide position.

Jim44
12-08-2016, 12:47 PM
I think our chances of getting Henderson are waning by the day. He seems to be very popular with their fans and it could be that Rodgers is warming to him. Interesting comments from them :

"Definitely stick with him and give him a decent length contract, because if he doesn't make it with us we can sell him for a decent fee."

"Bulked up a fair bit. Clattered Lasley, which was nice. Also looked assured on the ball. No idea why people would want to get rid -- would be far nearer my team than Armstrong."

"A quietly impressive cameo tonight. Good awareness and composure. Might be best getting him out on loan for another season, to a higher level than Hibs preferably, 40 games with someone else better than the dozen or so he would get with us. Rotherham? Can we just send everyone there."

"He was the best of the subs tonight. Hopefully rodgers gives him a chance."

Smartie
12-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Harkins freed by Dundee……..

……and I've just noticed he's signed for Ayr.