PDA

View Full Version : Based on his pre-season comments should Lennon have read the riot act last night?

G B Young
10-08-2016, 09:00 AM
"When I played against Hibs, they would play really well against Celtic then go out partying in Edinburgh, getting pats on the back. Then they would go out and lose to Motherwell the week after. That won't be tolerated by me."

I think that sort of talk is what we all wanted to hear from Lennon but last night's result follows a similar trend ie play well in Europe, get off to a cracking start in the league campaign then slide to a home defeat in a lower key match.

Now, I suspect Lennon WON'T be desperately disappointed to go out of the League Cup (and you just need to look at the other results last night to remind yourself how many shocks there always are in this competition. We pulled off several ourselves last year, beating the sheep, arabs and St Johnstone) but the second half collapse last night was nevertheless a cause for concern.

Will Lennon therefore have put the boot into the players at full-time? I haven't seen any posts-match quotes from him so I don't know what his thoughts were.

dp00
10-08-2016, 09:13 AM
I'd imagine privately the players will have been left in no uncertain terms that there performance was not acceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDHibs
10-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Reading into his Post match interview, i reckon he berated the players last night, as he singled out Laidlaw for the 2nd, the 3 centre backs for the last 25mins of the implosion and just general poor finishing.

The players will know themselves that last night was unacceptable.

Smartie
10-08-2016, 09:18 AM
I'd be astonished if he didn't go right through them.

I do think he'll emphasise how well they've done overall for him so far but that second half was totally unacceptable.

Some very good, very consistent players played very badly for us last night.

smithy_hibees
10-08-2016, 09:20 AM
For me it was the manner in which we folded in the 2nd half after controlling the first with ease...

What did Lennon say or change at half time??

Did the players just think job done and took foot of the gas??

The big problem for me was 55/60mins in we couldn't change it.. Boyle at a push but not one player on the bench could've changed that game.. And Lennon know that hense the subs he made, Cummings off for Forster in the 90th minute proved that

Onwards and upwards was only a cup game and probably the best game to find out abit about the squad we actually have

Coults1875
10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
I'd be astonished if he didn't go right through them.

I think so too. This will be the difference between Stubbs and Lennon. Stubbs seemed at times to be too nice when the players really needed a kick up the a*** , i have confidence that Lennon will make sure the players know how to move on from last night.

SRHibs
10-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Can someone link me to the post-match interview. I always struggle to find them. Cheers.

Phil MaGlass
10-08-2016, 10:12 AM
I would like to think he went right through them, he has just seen the opportunity of one trophy gone.

HibsNutter
10-08-2016, 10:18 AM
"When I played against Hibs, they would play really well against Celtic then go out partying in Edinburgh, getting pats on the back. Then they would go out and lose to Motherwell the week after. That won't be tolerated by me."

I think that sort of talk is what we all wanted to hear from Lennon but last night's result follows a similar trend ie play well in Europe, get off to a cracking start in the league campaign then slide to a home defeat in a lower key match.

Now, I suspect Lennon WON'T be desperately disappointed to go out of the League Cup (and you just need to look at the other results last night to remind yourself how many shocks there always are in this competition. We pulled off several ourselves last year, beating the sheep, arabs and St Johnstone) but the second half collapse last night was nevertheless a cause for concern.

Will Lennon therefore have put the boot into the players at full-time? I haven't seen any posts-match quotes from him so I don't know what his thoughts were.

He will use last night as an example to drill in to the players about what can happen when they take their feet off the gas.

Finn2015
10-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Hope he did and put the marker down for the rest of the season.

Hi Heid Yin
10-08-2016, 06:49 PM
As tempting as it is for Neil Lennon to lay into his players and read them the riot act, I'm sure that he is now wise enough to know that this will only work to a degree and so he has to temper his verbal volleys.
Players merely shrink into their shells if there is a constant fear element present.
Bullying (Butcher anybody?) simply results in players laying down their tools.
NL has a tough job instilling his type of mentality into some of our players, especially those who have tasted league campaign failure these past 2 seasons, and who, after the QOS performance could be thinking: "Oh, here we go again. Nothing I or we can do about this. Ach, it's only a defeat and not the end of the world"
This losers mentality evidently still hangs over our club and NL really has to weed out the biggest culprits and relegate them to either the bench or ship them out altogether.
This might not sit well with some of we Hibbies, who have our favourites and can see no wrong in them.
But if we are to seriously address our inability to change games and propogate a steely-cold collective attitude where defeat is totally unacceptable in the minds of every single player, then a mini-purge at this early stage in our league campaign is a must.
We are, I believe, carrying too many soft-core characters and personalities, who can be effective on their day when all's going well, but totally ineffective when things are going against us.
New faces and no nonsense characters (ie Yogi) must be brought in to play alongside your Holts.

Onion
10-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Lennon will be disappointed, but temper his comments to the players. IMO he'll be more concerned about our lack of sharpness in front of goal. The game could and should have been beyond QOS by HT but we left ourselves exposed to the sucker punches at the end.

Last think Lennon needs to do is be too hard on the players for one performance. It's the kind of thing Butcher would do.

heidtheba
10-08-2016, 09:22 PM
I think so too. This will be the difference between Stubbs and Lennon. Stubbs seemed at times to be too nice when the players really needed a kick up the a*** , i have confidence that Lennon will make sure the players know how to move on from last night.

I do wonder if Stubbs was a bit inhibited at 'kicking backsides' given what he had to be when he followed on from Mr Dinosaur Management Style Butcher. Must have been a priority to get players away from being constantly shell-shocked to ones with a bit less fear and a lot more confidence. Hard to then become a bit more direct in his second year maybe?

hhibs
10-08-2016, 09:34 PM
As tempting as it is for Neil Lennon to lay into his players and read them the riot act, I'm sure that he is now wise enough to know that this will only work to a degree and so he has to temper his verbal volleys.
Players merely shrink into their shells if there is a constant fear element present.
Bullying (Butcher anybody?) simply results in players laying down their tools.
NL has a tough job instilling his type of mentality into some of our players, especially those who have tasted league campaign failure these past 2 seasons, and who, after the QOS performance could be thinking: "Oh, here we go again. Nothing I or we can do about this. Ach, it's only a defeat and not the end of the world"
This losers mentality evidently still hangs over our club and NL really has to weed out the biggest culprits and relegate them to either the bench or ship them out altogether.
This might not sit well with some of we Hibbies, who have our favourites and can see no wrong in them.
But if we are to seriously address our inability to change games and propogate a steely-cold collective attitude where defeat is totally unacceptable in the minds of every single player, then a mini-purge at this early stage in our league campaign is a must.
We are, I believe, carrying too many soft-core characters and personalities, who can be effective on their day when all's going well, but totally ineffective when things are going against us.
New faces and no nonsense characters (ie Yogi) must be brought in to play alongside your Holts.

First rate post and I agree wholeheartedly with your views.

Winning the Scottish cup was IMMENSE but it was achieved with a large proportion of players who are /were not at Easter Road long term and were not immersed in the "soft" mentality that lingers at Hibs.

GloryGlory
11-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Lennon will be disappointed, but temper his comments to the players. IMO he'll be more concerned about our lack of sharpness in front of goal. The game could and should have been beyond QOS by HT but we left ourselves exposed to the sucker punches at the end.

Last think Lennon needs to do is be too hard on the players for one performance. It's the kind of thing Butcher would do.

It's a difficult balance that Neil has to achieve. He needs to let players know when performances and results are simply unacceptable, at the same time keeping the players motivated and having the desire to do well.

Players who have the right attitude and mental strength should be able to take warranted criticism and use it positively to motivate themselves to improve their performance.

Hermit Crab
11-08-2016, 08:23 AM
I hope he did go through them, they didn't do their job. That performance warranted the good old hairdryer.

JDHibs
11-08-2016, 08:29 AM
McGinns is in the paper this morning saying Lennon gave them a bollocking for half an hour in the dressing room after Tuesday.

Good.

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-08-2016, 08:44 AM
I wonder if anyone gave Lennon a bollocking for his tactics on Tuesday?

Hopefully this was just a blip and we get a result on Sat.

Future17
11-08-2016, 09:17 AM
I wonder if anyone gave Lennon a bollocking for his tactics on Tuesday?

Hopefully this was just a blip and we get a result on Sat.

Pretty much was I was thinking. Tactics and sub decisions.